PDA

View Full Version : Senior Assistant Coach Brett Montgomery departs the kennel

G-Mo77
10-08-2016, 11:22 AM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2016_Hero/DefCon/PORT_05WBBL16AT00222.jpg

The Western Bulldogs today announced that it has agreed to release Senior Assistant Coach Brett Montgomery from his contract to enable him to focus on future opportunities in the AFL.

Director of Football Chris Grant thanked Montgomery for his dedication and professionalism over the past six seasons.

“Brett has been a tireless contributor and has added great value to our Club over many years. Firstly as a well-respected player and then since returning as Assistant Coach in 2010.

“The decision to part ways at this time of the year was a mutual one, allowing Brett more time to start planning for the next phase of his career.”

“We are sure that Brett has a bright career path in football ahead of him and we wish him and his family the very best for the future.”

During his six-year stint with the Dogs he was elevated to the role of Senior Assistant and was rewarded by being named AFLCA Assistant Coach of the year in 2014.

Montgomery is currently one of four coaches selected to take part in the second intake of the AFL’s Level 4 Coaching course.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-08-10/montgomery-departs-kennel

G-Mo77
10-08-2016, 11:24 AM
This is really not ideal going into Round 21 and a finals campaign ahead. Strange?

LostDoggy
10-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Has been a wonderful contributor to the Club. Certainly wish him well and hopefully there may be a further role for him down the track. Interesting to see who replacement will be.

G-Mo77
10-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Has been a wonderful contributor to the Club. Certainly wish him well and hopefully there may be a further role for him down the track. Interesting to see who replacement will be.

For sure PP, got a ton of respect for the guy just shellshocked about his departure at this time of year.

The Underdog
10-08-2016, 11:30 AM
This is just *!*!*!*!ing weird.
For a club with so much positive on field happening our off field keeps throwing up bizarre shit.

Bulldog Joe
10-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Surely this means that he has been approached about another position. Perhaps Brisbane or even Port Adelaide.

LostDoggy
10-08-2016, 11:31 AM
For sure PP, got a ton of respect for the guy just shellshocked about his departure at this time of year.

Sure is strange that he is not seeing the season out. Can't imagine preparation for any future role couldn't have waited a few more weeks. More to this than stated?

bornadog
10-08-2016, 11:34 AM
You would think he would have wanted to go through a finals campaign? Maybe that is the issue, he said he was leaving end of season, so club has said go now????

soupman
10-08-2016, 11:36 AM
It is strange and rather early but is it much different to the many Hawthorn assistants who have departed mid finals? It doesn't help us but also considering how little of the season there is left it is unlikely to hinder us significantly. Most of the structures and ideas we would be implementing for the remaining games are surely already in place.

Having said that I'm not exactly pleased about this. Our off field work this season hasn't really painted the picture of a harmonious and professional workplace, and we seem to have many major decisions regarding personnel and the like made at odd times. I look forward to the clumsy press releases we put out about this one.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-08-2016, 11:36 AM
Again it feels like the club is not telling us the full story. Even if he has another job to go to, most coaches still stick out the rest of the season with their current club. Interesting.

But also a good opportunity to get more of Bev's people into the coaches box, given his team was mostly inherited.

Bulldog4life
10-08-2016, 11:40 AM
He wants the Brisbane job no doubt. Wants to be seen as 100% committed in getting it. Isn't the first assistant to leave prior to finals nor will he be the last.

bornadog
10-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Is Chris Grant shaking up the footy department and some can't handle it.

Personally, I haven't liked Monty that much in his role, especially after some silly things said during the Rocket era. Having said that he seems to have knuckled down and worked hard under Bevo.

Good luck to him whatever he is doing.

Bulldog4life
10-08-2016, 11:48 AM
He has been a loyal player and coach to our Club for many years. Wish him all the best.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2016, 11:53 AM
For all we know he's been told he's in the top 3 for the Brisbane job, told our club & like Hawthorn, Geelong & others we let him go thinking we wouldn't have his full attention. The vague nature might be protecting him & Brisbane considering Leppa has a contract.

LostDoggy
10-08-2016, 12:00 PM
For all we know he's been told he's in the top 3 for the Brisbane job, told our club & like Hawthorn, Geelong & others we let him go thinking we wouldn't have his full attention. The vague nature might be protecting him & Brisbane considering Leppa has a contract.

Seems most probable. The precise wording "...to start planning for the next phase of his career" (rather than something like 'to pursue further opportunities') would indicate that his next role is locked in (presumably senior). Senior assistants rarely leave midseason just to throw their hat into the ring elsewhere.

If he does have a role elsewhere, it certainly wouldn't be the place of us to provide any detail further than what we have said.

bornadog
10-08-2016, 12:07 PM
Seems most probable. The precise wording "...to start planning for the next phase of his career" (rather than something like 'to pursue further opportunities') would indicate that his next role is locked in (presumably senior). Senior assistants rarely leave midseason just to throw their hat into the ring elsewhere.

If he does have a role elsewhere, it certainly wouldn't be the place of us to provide any detail further than what we have said.

Either he has got a job, or some other reason for leaving. You wouldn't leave just for hope of getting another role.

Edit - Didn't the AFL say recently all assistants must be informed by August 1st if their contracts will be renewed or not? Maybe bevo wants a new senior assistant?

hujsh
10-08-2016, 12:11 PM
You're all missing the obvious angle to this article.

The Boyd contact takes it's first casualty...

The Underdog
10-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Any truth to the rumour he was seen touring Collingwood's facilities? Imagine if he showed up in the Pies box on Friday. That'd be some WWE showmanship right there.

Rocket Science
10-08-2016, 12:22 PM
I blame Tom Boyd's contract.

And so will Damien Barrett.

Templeton31
10-08-2016, 12:44 PM
Same thing happened with Sumich at Freo on Monday. Is it this new AFLCA rule where you have to tell assistants by end of last weekend their prospects for next year? We've told him "we can't guarantee you a coaching position", he's read the tea leaves and left straight away. Possibly in a huff.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2016, 12:52 PM
The Montgomerys & The Gordon's co own and manage the Pound Cafe don't they? I wonder what happens with this?

bornadog
10-08-2016, 12:55 PM
The Montgomerys & The Gordon's co own and manage the Pound Cafe don't they? I wonder what happens with this?

Mrs Gordon will do a takeover

1eyedog
10-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Well that is 100% shite with three games left till the end of the season. Talk about throwing your hat into the ring early. Good luck to him, will never forget the 2006 elimination final or his contribution to the club in a coaching capacity.

The best thing about this is that Bevo now has an opportunity to bring in the first person he wants in the box. Hundred bucks Bevo already knows who his replacement will be.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Wasn't Monty going when Bevo was appointed or was that speculation based on him being an unsuccessful candidate?
I have looked into Monty's eyes during preseason last year as he addressed players coming off during interchange. He seemed as hard as. Wish him well, he will always be a Bulldog until he coaches the other team in a GF.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Either he has got a job, or some other reason for leaving. You wouldn't leave just for hope of getting another role.

Edit - Didn't the AFL say recently all assistants must be informed by August 1st if their contracts will be renewed or not? Maybe bevo wants a new senior assistant?
It's like horses' birthday, all assistant coaches posies are up for grabs on Aug 1 for a reason and Montie is a bird of a feather and took the opportunity. Bet he has a job lined up, I'm sure he is ultra ambitious and would go to Brisbane.

boydogs
10-08-2016, 02:33 PM
No need to fear this guys, this is what happens when you build up a good operation. It is a sign of a healthy club

ledge
10-08-2016, 02:37 PM
Obviously has had other offers and I wish him well , I see no disharmony or doomsayers reasons for this , no disharmony at the club or anything like that, just a good assistant, opening up his options, he obviously asked to go, can't stop a coach going to move higher.
Why would he go?
Maybe he wants a senior gig and Bevo has just resigned another 3 years. Please please don't read anything nasty into it I'm sure there isn't, coaches move all
The time for experience and opportunities, it's not a big deal.
Although no doubt Barrett will come up with some calamatis crap that's just to have a go at Luke.

always right
10-08-2016, 02:43 PM
I bet it's bloody Gordon interfering again.:rolleyes:

bornadog
10-08-2016, 02:47 PM
I bet it's bloody Gordon interfering again.:rolleyes:

Is that you Carro :D

Twodogs
10-08-2016, 04:12 PM
Definitely Tom Boyd's contract at work again.

Pretty soon Tom will be the only one left at Whitten oval.

Twodogs
10-08-2016, 04:12 PM

BornInDroopSt'54
10-08-2016, 04:20 PM

Except for you and me and I'm not sure about you.

Eastdog
10-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Good luck to Brett in what he does next. It is a bit out of the blue but then again with events over the years it doesn't surprise much anymore.

Ozza
10-08-2016, 06:14 PM
My first reaction was that it is poor timing and a real shame to lose Monty.

But after a deep breath - I guess this has happened before, and will again. Was it Brenton Sanderson that left the same gig at Geelong in one of their premiership years with not long to go.

By this point in the year - the players know the system/game plan and are probably in 'maintenance mode' anyway. Good luck to Monty - he has been fantastic to carry on as Senior Assistant after not getting the top job 21 months ago.

LostDoggy
10-08-2016, 07:28 PM
Good luck Monty in your future endeavours.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-08-2016, 08:11 PM
You've served the club well as a player, across two separate stints, and also for 6 years on the coaching panel.

Fair to say that even if he is not a certainty for a head coaching job at Brisbane, he'd still be keen to explore other opportunities. The timing of the decision, however, makes it likely that he's at least on a shortlist for consideration with other clubs, and is confident of at least securing another assistant coaching role if not the senior gig.

Given the length of time he's been with the Dogs as a coach, mixed with his clear ambition to be a senior coach, it probably makes sense for him to actively seek work at another club.
Good luck Monty and thanks for your contributions.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Channel 9 reported it along the lines of him being after the Brisbane job 'should it become available soon'.

ratsmac
10-08-2016, 08:44 PM
I actually heard Barrett on triple M this afternoon and he didn't have anything bad to say about this towards the club or Bevo. He seems to think (not that we care) that it would probably be us asking him what his intentions are for next year, not us not guaranteeing his job for next year. And because of some rule that clubs can't approach assistant coaches after August 1 if they are involved in finals or something like that.

Anyway it's a shame that he has left on the eve of an important finals series. I wish him well.

Twodogs
10-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Channel 9 reported it along the lines of him being after the Brisbane job 'should it become available soon'.

Maybe Monty has been "touring Brisbanes facilities"

GVGjr
10-08-2016, 11:01 PM
I tend to think there is a lot more too this story than is being speculated on.
Good luck to Monty on whatever he does.

Hotdog60
10-08-2016, 11:28 PM
I wonder if Monty got a verbal that if Bevo doesn't work out he'll get the gig. Now that Bevo gets the extra years Monty has decided to move on.

Remi Moses
11-08-2016, 03:13 AM
Good luck to him . I think we're basically speculating on what's happened .

GVGjr
11-08-2016, 03:47 AM
Good luck to him . I think we're basically speculating on what's happened .

Why wouldn't we? The reasons provided for his departure don't appear to fit.

ledge
11-08-2016, 05:06 AM

Exploring other opportunities fits any reason to leave a job.

And we agreed to let him go, I would say that's pretty straight forward.
People always want to read more into it and most make it a negative. Conspiracy theories are always marched out

GVGjr
11-08-2016, 07:42 AM
Exploring other opportunities fits any reason to leave a job.

And we agreed to let him go, I would say that's pretty straight forward.
People always want to read more into it and most make it a negative. Conspiracy theories are always marched out

I don't think there is a conspiracy theory in saying he was out of contract at the end of the season and he wasn't going to receive an offer to stay on. He then decided to leave before the end of the year.

Throughandthrough
11-08-2016, 07:45 AM

Maybe he glassed Zaine Cordy in a drunken fit of rage?

LostDoggy
11-08-2016, 09:16 AM
Just been reading that Assistant Coaches must have their contracts renewed by July 31 if they are going to be retained for the following year. Peter Sumich departed Freo, effective immediately, a day or two before Monty left us. Given the timing, this seems a probable course of events.

Axe Man
11-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Moves on Sumich, Montgomery doesn't concern AFLCA (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-11/moves-on-sumich-montgomery-dont-concern-aflca)

THE AFL Coaches Association is not concerned by decisions from Fremantle and the Western Bulldogs to send departing assistant coaches on gardening leave before the end of the season.

Dockers assistant Peter Sumich was last week stood down with four matches to play after notifying the club he would be exploring other opportunities.

On Wednesday the Western Bulldogs followed suit, releasing senior assistant Brett Montgomery from his contract to allow him "more time to start planning for the next phase of his career".

It is understood it was the choice of both clubs – rather than the respective assistants – for them to finish early instead of seeing out the season, and in the Bulldogs' case a finals campaign.

Both coaches were initially offered the opportunity to stay, but the two clubs then changed their minds.

Last season 25 assistant coaches left their clubs, with 18 moving to a new AFL home. Seven did not find new clubs.

All were aware by July or August that they would be finishing at the end of the season but stayed on until the end of the season.

The AFLCA expects another 20 assistant coaches to move clubs this year.

CEO Mark Brayshaw said Sumich and Montgomery were "outliers" and their clubs' decision to stand them down was not a reason for concern for the rest of the industry.

"Both are Level Four coaches and the market for their services is hot at the moment, so their clubs decided to send them on gardening leave," Brayshaw told AFL.com.au.

"The Coaches Association’s advice to every coach who gets bad news in the lead-up to August 1 is simple – work as hard and professionally as you can until your clubs’ season ends, so that your reputation is not tarnished."

All assistant coaches who are coming out of contract are told of their contract status for the following year by August 1.

According to one senior coach, it is a date that sees a bomb go off in the industry, sparking a flurry of interviews in the final month of the season.

There are concerns in the coaching industry that the decisions by Fremantle and the Bulldogs could see more clubs walking their departing coaches out after the August 1 deadline.

Brayshaw said the reason for the early deadline was the timing of the AFL's financial year, which ends on October 31.

"If a coach’s contract is not extended, come the 1st August the clock is ticking and he or she has three months to find another job to pay the bills," Brayshaw said.

"To hold off notifying a coach until, say, late September, risks putting the coach and his family in harm’s way, without enough time to find a new job.

"This is especially challenging for coaches outside Melbourne due to the scarcity of AFL Employers."

Twodogs
11-08-2016, 06:57 PM
That's close to the least interesting article I've ever read.

Remi Moses
11-08-2016, 07:46 PM

The criteria is they have to be told by July 31 if they're going to be re-contracted .
I'd be thinking Monty's been told he's not going to be renewed, hence he's now started looking for alternate coaching .
It's unusual, but it's what the coaches association wanted

ratsmac
12-08-2016, 07:42 AM
The club probably told him that we need his full attention come finals and we can't have him applying for any senior coaching roles should any become available. If that is what you think you might do it's better you leave now to avoid any un-wanted distraction during finals for the club. And given the fact that Monty has ambitions to be a senior coach he has left.

Bulldog4life
12-08-2016, 09:37 AM
He might even go to the Suns under Rocket and be involved in a hand over in a couple of years like Melbourne has done with Goodwin.

LostDoggy
12-08-2016, 10:03 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-montgomery-ditched-by-dogs-and-left-to-flounder-in-limbo-20160811-gqqned.html

Caroline Wilson's take.

Bulldog4life
12-08-2016, 10:49 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-montgomery-ditched-by-dogs-and-left-to-flounder-in-limbo-20160811-gqqned.html

Caroline Wilson's take.

Loves having a go at our Club.

jeemak
12-08-2016, 10:53 AM
The headline isn't reflective of the content, it's clear she curries no favour at Whitten Oval and receives no preferential treatment from the club over others of her ilk, leaving shit on her liver.

KT31
12-08-2016, 11:27 AM
The headline isn't reflective of the content, it's clear she curries no favour at Whitten Oval and receives no preferential treatment from the club over others of her ilk, leaving shit on her liver.

Its not the liver her shits spewing from.

Twodogs
12-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Its not the liver her shits spewing from.

Not the only spot anyway.

Meanwhile, Brenton Sanderson is reportedly about to leave his AFL academy coaching role to take up an assistant coaching position at Collingwood. The Magpies are set to part ways with recent Hall of Fame inductee Ben Hart who has worked with Nathan Buckley for the past five years.

Port Adelaide will also make changes to its coaching line up.

Regardless of Justin Leppitsch's future at least three of his assistants – Simon Black, Gary O'Donnell and Shane Woewodin – look certain to depart the Lions. At Richmond senior development coach Mark Williams and Damien Hardwick's long-time assistant Brendon Lade, along with forwards coach Greg Mellor, have all been told they could not be guaranteed contracts for next year.

But Richmonmd sacking their assistants is OK? As is Collingwood changing their coaching panel before the end of the season. And Brisbane aren't despotic for sacking THREE assistants?

Cut the biased bullshit Caro. Step up into the real world where not everyone agrees all the time with whatever you reckon is a fair deal.

The Underdog
12-08-2016, 01:09 PM
The difference of course being that none of the other teams she mentions are about to play finals.
I'm not sure there's anything in her article that isn't fairly close to the mark.

bornadog
02-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Monty has put up his hand for the Lions job as has Sumich.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Monty has put up his hand for the Lions job as has Sumich.

Well that all makes sense. The club has allowed him to chase it with 100% commitment, and not be even slightly distracted in finals if he were to stay.

azabob
07-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Montgomery has graduated the AFL Level 4 coaching course.

I still wonder what actually happened during 2016. He is currently working at Melbourne Grammer and Melbourne based GWS opposition analyst.

Interesting quote from the article;

"I thought I was on a clear pathway, but I worked out pretty quickly that pathway had a different idea, so I'm sort of just taking it as it comes," Montgomery told AFL.com.au.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-07/exdog-may-not-be-a-monty-to-coach-after-course

Remi Moses
07-04-2018, 04:02 PM
No doubt Damian “ bin dweller” Barrett will tell us :rolleyes:

Eastdog
07-04-2018, 04:06 PM
That's a bit of a loss.

Interesting quote from him there.

Happy Days
07-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Good to see the AFL has dipped its toe into the cesspool that is the private education sector.