PDA

View Full Version : Are good forwards born not made?

Dry Rot
15-12-2007, 01:33 PM
With talk of Minson being used up forward, it made me wonder whether forwards are born not made? ie good forwards seem to have some natural forwards instincts lacking in defenders.
eg Higgins seems to be a "natural" forward.

Can a player be made into a good forward like say failed forwards can be made into good defenders?

Sockeye Salmon
15-12-2007, 03:42 PM
With talk of Minson being used up forward, it made me wonder whether forwards are born not made? ie good forwards seem to have some natural forwards instincts lacking in defenders.
eg Higgins seems to be a "natural" forward.

Can a player be made into a good forward like say failed forwards can be made into good defenders?

Good forwards are introduced to the game early. They're the kids who take their footy to bed with them and have the posters all over their bedroom walls. They read everything written about their team and watch every minute they can.

This obsession gives them the advantage of knowing what's going to happen that split second before anyone else, where to run and most importantly for a forward precisely when.

This is why Trent Croad (who is a Kiwi) can be a good CHB but will never be a good CHF. Tom Williams is another who will never make it as a forward despite seemingly having all the tools.

Minson? Who knows? How important was footy to him when he was a kid?

GVGjr
15-12-2007, 03:52 PM
This is why Trent Croad (who is a Kiwi) can be a good CHB but will never be a good CHF. Tom Williams is another who will never make it as a forward despite seemingly having all the tools.

Minson? Who knows? How important was footy to him when he was a kid?

I think you are writing off Tom's abilities too quickly without seeing what a full pre-season might bring. He does appear to be better suited as a defender at the moment but he hasn't reached anywhere near his peak or potential yet so I won't impose limits on what he might be capable of achieving.

hujsh
15-12-2007, 04:13 PM
I think you are writing off Tom's abilities too quickly without seeing what a full pre-season might bring. He does appear to be better suited as a defender at the moment but he hasn't reached anywhere near his peak or potential yet so I won't impose limits on what he might be capable of achieving.

Has anyone seen Tom play as a forward for a significant portion of a game

wimberga
15-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Has anyone seen Tom play as a forward for a significant portion of a game

and what about Minson? he ever had a REAL good crack up there?

LostDoggy
15-12-2007, 08:19 PM

I have a feeling the coaching staff have a lot of faith in Tom. Not sure if its as a defender or forward. I think this is his first full pre season so far (touch wood).

LostDoggy
15-12-2007, 11:22 PM
And then there are players who have been successful at both ends of the ground. Im sure David Neitz started off as a backmen and now is a great forward. Same with Daniel Bradshaw. Brisbane have the luxury of playing him either forward or back. Even Chris Grant. He started off a forward and toward the latter parts of his career became a backmen. Another example could be big Lance. One thing all these players have in common is their natural footy smarts that cant be taught. Nowdays, like DR is referring to (i think) is that we are drafting athletes in hope of making them into decent footballer. Its not always going to work like that. Tom Williams and Lance Franklin are an obvious exeption to this rule but have a look at the athletes trying to be turned forwards that have failed.

Back to the question... i belive forwards are born and not made. You cant teach instincts.

Dogs 24/7
16-12-2007, 12:23 AM
To answer the question good key forwards probably stand out as key forwards when they are young but it doesn't mean that good defenders can't become great forwards. Our very own Bernie Qunilan as a centre half back and then later in life and at another club become a great full forward. Alistair Lynch is also another who excelled as a defender before coming a great full forward.
Its easier for the somewhat clueless athletic player to become a defender though

hujsh
16-12-2007, 12:35 AM
How often do you ever find forwards who don't need to learn to play as a forward in the AFL One example is Roughed playing defense at the beginning of his career while the club knew he would be a forward

dog town
16-12-2007, 11:40 AM
To a certain degree I think that is true but I would like to think that with hard work and practice players can improve in pretty much any area of the game. A large amount of natural footballing ability is a good start as a forward. Understanding the game and having good football awareness is also a big requirement.

Bulldog1954
17-12-2007, 01:14 AM
I think a lot of it is to do with having a sound football brain. It is a lot harder to be a good forward then a backmen, you have to be the one to create and you need to know whee to run and when to do it. Thats why when great center half forwards like Grant and Neitz go down back they dominate and make it look easy.

In regards to Minson my concern with him playing forward is that he is a poor contested mark and shot for goal. I would personally play Skipper as our second rck, he may not be as good a ruckmen as Minson or Street but he has the ability to take a grab and isn't a liabilty around the ground

Mofra
17-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Hard to say, when you consider (in all sizes) players who were successful AFL forwards like Gehrig, Robbins and Neitz started back, and guys like Hawkins, Matthews & Salmon started in the centre.

Would certainly say without some footy smarts it is hard to see someone becoming a forward at the elite level.

Go_Dogs
17-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Don't forget Tredders who started as a wing too.

FrediKanoute
18-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Paul Roos??? Played forward and back with ease

hujsh
18-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Paul Roos??? Played forward and back with ease

But the question (not to single you out) is whether forwards can be made or is it just natural. I know nothing of Roos career but he may have been a natural at both ends.

LostDoggy
18-12-2007, 10:33 AM
I always thought Paul Roos was a backman who ventured forward from his backline position. He'd might kick a goal or two but at the same time was laxed in the covering of his opposition forward.
I don't think you could ever call him a forward.

Twodogs
18-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Peter Foster was a bloke who could play either end with ease. Got picked as a centre half back and as a centre half forward for the Vics.

Sockeye Salmon
18-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Peter Foster was a bloke who could play either end with ease. Got picked as a centre half back and as a centre half forward for the Vics.

Foster started as a CHF with Fitzroy who turned into a gun CHB. He was OK at CHF as a pinch-hitter but I always thought he was a dud CHF whenever he tried to play a full game there. If he played for Victoria as a CHF I would be amazed.

Paul Roos was just a very good player who could play anywhere but his best spot was definately CHB.

GVGjr
18-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Foster started as a CHF with Fitzroy who turned into a gun CHB. He was OK at CHF as a pinch-hitter but I always thought he was a dud CHF whenever he tried to play a full game there. If he played for Victoria as a CHF I would be amazed.

Paul Roos was just a very good player who could play anywhere but his best spot was definately CHB.

I agree that Foster couldn't play more than cameo efforts as a CHF.
It's pretty much the same with Roos. He was an attacking defender and not a forward.

Dogs 24/7
18-12-2007, 06:56 PM
In regards to Minson my concern with him playing forward is that he is a poor contested mark and shot for goal. I would personally play Skipper as our second rck, he may not be as good a ruckmen as Minson or Street but he has the ability to take a grab and isn't a liabilty around the ground

Im not sold on the suggestion of playing Minson as a forward either. Ernies training report about Minsons efforts up forward doesnt inspire much confidence either.

wimberga
18-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Lets think about this from the other position aswell.

Typically, players that play OK up forward do well down back.

But what about the Exceptional forwards, such as Fevola, J.Brown and N.Riewoldt? There is not much to go off, but i could not see any of the three being standout defenders.

southerncross
18-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Lets think about this from the other position aswell.

Typically, players that play OK up forward do well down back.

But what about the Exceptional forwards, such as Fevola, J.Brown and N.Riewoldt? There is not much to go off, but i could not see any of the three being standout defenders.

Riewoldt would be an exceptional defender at centre half back

hujsh
18-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Riewoldt would be an exceptional defender at centre half back

That's true. In some of those wet matches against Sydney in the past few years he played more wing/defense than forward and still stared