PDA

View Full Version : Under the pump

ledge
14-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Thought I would ask who we think is in trouble at the end of the year , be it player, coach, assistant coach , president even commentator, Anyone in the footy world.
Obviously Leppitsch is one.

Topdog
14-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Yeah Leppa the obvious one.

Add Hardwick to that too.

Buckley should be but will probably get a free pass due to the above 2.

Brad Scott to come under fire? They can still miss the 8 if Melbourne beat Geelong in the last game.

westdog54
14-08-2016, 11:47 AM
The lack of attention paid to Ken Hinkley is staggering.

ledge
14-08-2016, 12:04 PM
The whole Tigers board and assistant coaches apparently .

bulldogtragic
14-08-2016, 12:06 PM

Yep, the media refuse to give him and Port the scrutiny just about every other club gets in similar circumstances.

Go_Dogs
14-08-2016, 01:15 PM

Their fall has been dramatic, hasn't it? They were just about the best side to watch and came agonisingly close to playing in a GF in 2014, their list still seems good on paper and they have a strong home ground advantage at Adelaide Oval.

Having Lobbe, Ryder and Monfries back should add a bit to their side next year, however there will be a lot of teams looking to press up from the bottom 10 spots so no guarantees Port will even hold ground.

Go_Dogs
14-08-2016, 01:17 PM
I've heard Ballantyne has requested a trade to the WCE, too (not sure if it's been reported anywhere - wasn't interested enough to look it up) but if that's the case, does it signal internal discontent at Freo? Ross the boss appears unlikely to be moved on, but I wonder whether he'll be looking at other options if he feels he can push another side up to challenge in a quicker fashion?

The Doctor
14-08-2016, 02:08 PM
Buckley should be under the pump

McGuire should be under the pump

Ross Lyon should be under the pump but is safe having re-signed til 2020 or whenever it was

Remi Moses
14-08-2016, 02:30 PM
From about mid 2014 Port have been running at less than 50%.
Lot of players play on their own terms

Twodogs
14-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Their fall has been dramatic, hasn't it? They were just about the best side to watch and came agonisingly close to playing in a GF in 2014, their list still seems good on paper and they have a strong home ground advantage at Adelaide Oval.

Having Lobbe, Ryder and Monfries back should add a bit to their side next year, however there will be a lot of teams looking to press up from the bottom 10 spots so no guarantees Port will even hold ground.

I've heard a couple of people say that getting Monfries back next year will improve Port and it suprised me a bit. Is he that good? I think he's best 22 when he's fit but he has a few limitations. I guess my point is that he's no superstar more a role player. If Port want to get improve then it's guys like Monfries they should be looking to replace with better performers not relying on to improve the team with his presence,

Rocco Jones
14-08-2016, 04:12 PM
Ranking them in terms of pressure

Leppa- gone at year's end (surely)

Hardwick- coming off a couple of years in the finals might give him a bit of breathing space. A terrible last 3 games could see him lose his job but otherwise I think he gets another chance

Buckley- Being Eddie's hero helps him. If you're a sycophate, it's not too hard to buy into hope with them. They have beaten GWS, Cats and Eagles. Treloar and Moore are going to be stars. He will be there next year, if they struggle again he will be in trouble.

Hinkley- definitely gets away with a lot more than most. I think that will/has to change in 2017 if they stay the same/get worse.

Lyon- coming off contenders window. I think he is very safe with that and his contract. If they have a poor year both win/loss and development wise next year, I think he will be under pressure in 2018. Only thing that might change it is a possible player revolt brewing.

B.Scott- I don't rate him but they have made the prelims last two years. This year a believer could use injuries are an adequate excuse for drop away. If they somehow miss the finals this year, it might add to the pressure but I see that coming in 2018 at the earliest.

Twodogs
18-08-2016, 02:40 PM

Hardwick- coming off a couple of years in the finals might give him a bit of breathing space. A terrible last 3 games could see him lose his job but otherwise I think he gets another chance

Buckley- Being Eddie's hero helps him. If you're a sycophate, it's not too hard to buy into hope with them. They have beaten GWS, Cats and Eagles. Treloar and Moore are going to be stars. He will be there next year, if they struggle again he will be in trouble.

Hinkley- definitely gets away with a lot more than most. I think that will/has to change in 2017 if they stay the same/get worse.

Lyon- coming off contenders window. I think he is very safe with that and his contract. If they have a poor year both win/loss and development wise next year, I think he will be under pressure in 2018. Only thing that might change it is a possible player revolt brewing.

B.Scott- I don't rate him but they have made the prelims last two years. This year a believer could use injuries are an adequate excuse for drop away. If they somehow miss the finals this year, it might add to the pressure but I see that coming in 2018 at the earliest.

Collingwood should have beaten us twice this year. They are the only team unlucky enough to run out of players this season against us first time around and I still can't figure out how we won on Friday night.

Twodogs
18-08-2016, 02:40 PM

Collingwood should have beaten us twice this year. They are the only team unlucky enough to run out of players this season against us first time around and I still can't figure out how we won on Friday night.

azabob
20-08-2016, 07:55 PM

Posted twice for each game?

azabob
20-08-2016, 07:58 PM
Leigh Matthews: It has been reported that when Voss was sacked, the coaching sub committee recommend Adam Simpson to be the new coach. The Brisbane board accepted the recommendation, except Leigh Matthews who over ruled the decision and went with Leppitch instead!

bulldogtragic
20-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Leigh Matthews: It has been reported that when Voss was sacked, the coaching sub committee recommend Adam Simpson to be the new coach. The Brisbane board accepted the recommendation, except Leigh Matthews who over ruled the decision and went with Leppitch instead!

If that's true then he needs to be kicked out of that club for their own good. And he holds the alleged moral high ground on contracts, especially Tom Boyd's.

bornadog
20-08-2016, 08:34 PM
If that's true then he needs to be kicked out of that club for their own good. And he holds the alleged moral high ground on contracts, especially Tom Boyd's.

Hate Matthews, always have, dick of the highest order.

Twodogs
20-08-2016, 10:16 PM

I can believe it. Up in Brisbane they seem to think that Leigh Matthews is some sort of footballing genius

Rocco Jones
20-08-2016, 10:27 PM
I can believe it. Up in Brisbane they seem to think that Leigh Matthews is some sort of footballing genius

Yep. Not like the rational people from Footscray. If a coach ever won us 3 premierships in 3 years, we would remain totally calm in rating how much of a genius he is.

jeemak
21-08-2016, 12:54 AM

He's a real Jimmy Two Times that Twodogs.

jeemak
21-08-2016, 01:00 AM
Matthews is the prime example of a good player and coach being a good player and coach, and not much else.

His commentary is rarely insightful or up to date, and I'm not sure why he was considered to be suitable to lead an organisation in a strategic position.

hujsh
21-08-2016, 01:13 AM
Was he a good coach?

jeemak
21-08-2016, 01:29 AM
Yes, in my view he was.

Sure the players and the beneficial terms that landed them at Brisbane were unbelievably good, he told them where to stand and where not to stand.

The way they moved the ball from defence forward was revolutionary. They were the first team I've seen that moved like a machine in the way that has been common from the 2008 season or so onward.

Twodogs
21-08-2016, 01:57 AM

Well duh. Why else?

He's a real Jimmy Two Times that Twodogs.

It's better than being called Santa I guess.