PDA

View Full Version : Adam Cooney Retires

bornadog
16-08-2016, 11:22 AM
Great player pre his injury, plays his 250 this week in front of the two clubs he played for.

Good luck to Adam in the future.

Cooooooooooooney

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cp8L5dwVIAAgk6E.jpg

LostDoggy
16-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Still love Cooney. Fantastic player to watch in full flight.

Also won me $500 when he won the Brownlow! Thanks Coons!

G-Mo77
16-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Yeah I thought it would pan out this way when the talk of retirement was in the media. Looking forward to saying farewell to Coons.

SlimPickens
16-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Would be great to see all dogs and dons supporters do the COOOOOOONNNNNNS. Just once.

Ghost Dog
16-08-2016, 12:08 PM
The Coona-bomber. Sad to see him retire in an Essendon jumper. But not sure he would be playing if not for their issues. Was great for us and fun to watch.

Sedat
16-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Thank you Coons for all the exciting flashes of sheer brilliance up to 2008, and for the intermittent ones thereafter only due to injury. Thank you also for Shane Biggs.

bornadog
16-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Who can forget this last quarter effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W30wSZiGBEA

Dancin' Douggy
16-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Now go and have many sons.

Bulldog Revolution
16-08-2016, 02:08 PM
Brilliant clip BAD

Loved watching Cooney run around for us - he'll always be welcome and a big part of some pretty great bulldog teams

Axe Man
16-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Now go and have many sons.

He's already got 1, along with 2 daughters I believe.

always right
16-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Who can forget this last quarter effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W30wSZiGBEA

Man that was a fun day. Congrats Coons. Always loved at the dogs.

Topdog
16-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Cooonnnnnnsssssss

Throughandthrough
16-08-2016, 02:18 PM
One of my fave Dogs players ever. Congrats to him on an outstanding career.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2016, 02:20 PM
He and Andrew Walker retire within a week of each other. A fitting and timely ending for the two top picks. And the only player to kiss the incoming Brownlow Medallist.

Twodogs
16-08-2016, 02:54 PM
One of the most sheerly brilliant players I've seen. Cooney could turn the momentum of a game with a ten minute burst. The injury was a tragedy and robbed us of some elite footy. Cooney was on the cusp of real greatness when his knee packed it in.

My favourite Cooney moment was sharking the boundary throw in and kicking the winner against Adelaide in 2006 at the MCG and sealing a finals spot. There used to be some grainy camera phone footage from the crowd of it on YouTube but I can't find it anymore.

So long Adam and thanks for some truly brilliant football and being a beacon of light through some pretty dark days for our club.

Sedat
16-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Round 1 2005 (Rocket's first match as coach) was a favourite Coons memory. We were playing the filth at the MCG and they were hot favourites to win - Coons as a teenager showed Bucks that he was the new and improved Bucks V2 that day and was unstoppable out of the clearances.

Also loved his match against the Swans at the SCG in early 2008 - he was at his Brownlow best that day and pulverised their mids in a devastating display of clearance work.

The knee injury robbed him of his most precious asset - his explosiveness out of the stoppages - and he was never the same again. Good on him for sucking Essendon into giving him a generous Superannuation package on the sprung floors of Tullamarine ;)

Remi Moses
16-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Well done coons . His explosiveness consistently before the injury was a joy to watch.

ReLoad
16-08-2016, 03:26 PM
my favourite coons moment was against the Weagles in 2008 where he was in the ruck at a centre bounce!, he tapped to advantage against dean cox, did a ripper shepherd, ended up on a chain and dished it off to West who hit Aker and goaled.

Ill never forget the Brownlow win I was working on a 4am start at my job and went to bed before the count, and when driving to work at 3am heard the news on the radio, Honked the car horn and went spastic for the whole trip to work.

Then watched his acceptance speech, was one for the ages and cemented him as a true bulldog.

His career was shot after his knee, there were some moments you could see on the field where his mind was doing one thing but his body just couldn't.

Thanks Coon dog, you were a bloody ripper.

bornadog
16-08-2016, 04:05 PM
One of the most sheerly brilliant players I've seen. Cooney could turn the momentum of a game with a ten minute burst. The injury was a tragedy and robbed us of some elite footy. Cooney was on the cusp of real greatness when his knee packed it in.

My favourite Cooney moment was sparking the boundary throw and kicking the winner against Adelaide in 2006!at the MCG and sealing a finals spot. There used to be some grainy camera phone footage from the crowd of it on YouTube but I can't find it anymore.

So long Adam and thanks for some truly brilliant football and being a beacon of light through some pretty dark days for our club.

Here you go the whole match. Cooney's goal at around the 1.42 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btuMMXUq7XA

Also an interview with Coondog at the end.

Twodogs
16-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Here you go the whole match. Cooney's goal at around the 1.42 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btuMMXUq7XA

Also an interview with Coondog at the end.

That was the day I swore at Peter Street giving an idiotic 50 metre penalty away before realising MJP's daughter could hear every word I said. I apologised and she said "That's OK I feel exactly the same way.

EasternWest
16-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Would be great to see all dogs and dons supporters do the COOOOOOONNNNNNS. Just once.

That would actually be awesome.

AndrewP6
16-08-2016, 08:06 PM
What a bloody champ. Brownlow at 22, 250 games in the AFL, what could've been if not for that f%!!$ knee... Always loved Coons. Was really sad to see him pull on the Bombres jumper, will probably shed a tear when that final siren goes. No matter that he finishes in their colours, he'll always be a Bulldog to me. I hope he gets a send off befitting his status - banner love, guard of honour, the whole lot. Coooooooonnnnnnnnnnnssssssssss.

Go_Dogs
16-08-2016, 08:07 PM
As a similar aged bloke from SA, was always very glad we selected Coon and it was a pleasure to watch him at full flight, one of our more exciting and dynamic players at his best.

That he got to 250 with his injury history is a testament to his dedication.

Will always remember his tap dancing routine (was it v St Kilda?) where he took a bunch of tiny steps and somehow extracted himself from a very precarious position. Had some big multiple goal, 25+ possession games, too.

AndrewP6
16-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Just Googling to see some Coons' articles from the beginning of his career. Found one, where he is discussing his wish to play Rd 1 (after he was drafted)... He also says "There's plenty of new recruits: Jade Rawlings, Peter Street, Adam Morgan, Lochlan Veale, they are all blokes who have been recruited into the club who will have an impact this year."

I guess he didn't clarify how much impact they'd have. :cool:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/02/05/1075853998871.html

Webby
16-08-2016, 08:52 PM
First of all, I should declare that I despise Essendon. I really, really, strongly dislike them. When he went there, I couldn't help but feel a pang of disgust towards Cooney. Add to that his comments about "good to be at a big club, big crowds, good facilities, spongey running track" etc. and I couldn't help but feel myself saying "you're dead to me, Cooney!"

However, in the fullness of time, I guess he was finished, we got pick 37 for him - which we swapped for pick 39 & Shane Biggs (an absolute bargain!) and used pick 39 for Declan Hamilton. Meanwhile Cooney cleared the way for the younger brigade of Wallis, Libba, Jay Jo etc. to get some game time.

On Essendon's side, they got a player who was well past his best, lacking in agility, defensively poor and never going to contribute to a premiership window.

Cooney is a life member at the Kennel. He'll always be remembered as a Dogs player. A great player for us. He tainted his legacy with the move, but it no doubt benefited us. So on that basis, I'll give him some applause on Sunday....

.... And then we smash them by 146 points!

LostDoggy
16-08-2016, 09:13 PM
Love ya Coondog.
You will always be a Bulldog forever
Cccooooooonnnnnnnnnnssssssss!!!!!!

Twodogs
16-08-2016, 09:32 PM
First of all, I should declare that I despise Essendon. I really, really, strongly dislike them. When he went there, I couldn't help but feel a pang of disgust towards Cooney. Add to that his comments about "good to be at a big club, big crowds, good facilities, spongey running track" etc. and I couldn't help but feel myself saying "you're dead to me, Cooney!"

However, in the fullness of time, I guess he was finished, we got pick 37 for him - which we swapped for pick 39 & Shane Biggs (an absolute bargain!) and used pick 39 for Declan Hamilton. Meanwhile Cooney cleared the way for the younger brigade of Wallis, Libba, Jay Jo etc. to get some game time.

On Essendon's side, they got a player who was well past his best, lacking in agility, defensively poor and never going to contribute to a premiership window.

Cooney is a life member at the Kennel. He'll always be remembered as a Dogs player. A great player for us. He tainted his legacy with the move, but it no doubt benefited us. So on that basis, I'll give him some applause on Sunday....

.... And then we smash them by 146 points!

I've seen us beat Essendon by 100 points.

jeemak
16-08-2016, 10:19 PM
I have mixed feelings about Adam.

On the one hand he was by far the most exciting clearance player I'd seen play for our club - period. He could do it all with electrifying pace with football smarts to match his athletic attributes. The way his Brownlow win was denigrated by the media in 2008 was disgusting, and instead of the media and football world realising what a special player he was the level of derision over his Brownlow win was so pathetic I almost took it personally.

I admire the way he pushed through his injuries and found a way to force his way to 250 games. It's a really great effort and he should be proud.

Him leaving the club was the best move for all parties. Cooney stating he was open to trade was just the tonic our club and list management team wanted to be served, much like Brian Lake was a Brian Lake man, Cooney was a Cooney man. The culture of the club was never going to get where it needed to be with him still around.

When I talk about players who we really missed out on seeing the best of, Cooney is at the top of my list because of how bloody good he was from the age of 20 years old. Cooney's career is a reminder that we can't take the progression of our young list or its young superstars for granted. Like many I'm guilty of musing about how good the likes of Bontempelli or Stringer might be in five or six years time, and when I think about Adam Cooney I realise that's a stupidly long sited way of looking at things. The special players need to be appreciated in the moment.

LostDoggy
16-08-2016, 10:31 PM

On the one hand he was by far the most exciting clearance player I'd seen play for our club - period. He could do it all with electrifying pace with football smarts to match his athletic attributes. The way his Brownlow win was denigrated by the media in 2008 was disgusting, and instead of the media and football world realising what a special player he was the level of derision over his Brownlow win was so pathetic I almost took it personally.

I admire the way he pushed through his injuries and found a way to force his way to 250 games. It's a really great effort and he should be proud.

Him leaving the club was the best move for all parties. Cooney stating he was open to trade was just the tonic our club and list management team wanted to be served, much like Brian Lake was a Brian Lake man, Cooney was a Cooney man. The culture of the club was never going to get where it needed to be with him still around.

When I talk about players who we really missed out on seeing the best of, Cooney is at the top of my list because of how bloody good he was from the age of 20 years old. Cooney's career is a reminder that we can't take the progression of our young list or its young superstars for granted. Like many I'm guilty of musing about how good the likes of Bontempelli or Stringer might be in five or six years time, and when I think about Adam Cooney I realise that's a stupidly long sited way of looking at things. The special players need to be appreciated in the moment.

Here Here,
couldn't have said it better myself J.

bornadog
19-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Career highlights thanks to Al's Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yotCI7NDd4&feature=youtu.be

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2016, 05:08 PM
You forget how bloody good he was at his best.

Tragic that he got cut down by injury - who knows what he could have achieved.

Still has an amazing highlights package, he was basically the ultimate midfielder. Big, strong, super quick, good skills, solid mark who could kick bags of goals.

Time goes so quick, still remember him as a pup. Will be a little sad to see him go on Sunday evening.

comrade
19-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Shame it looks like his family are completely converted to Essendon now, despite the Bulldogs giving him 200+ games, worked through years of injury and sub par performance. Seems we've been wiped after he asked for a trade. Great player at his peak but won't go down as a Bulldogs champ, IMO.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Shame it looks like his family are completely converted to Essendon now, despite the Bulldogs giving him 200+ games, worked through years of injury and sub par performance. Seems we've been wiped after he asked for a trade. Great player at his peak but won't go down as a Bulldogs champ, IMO.

I really want to be overly sentimental, I really do. But I can't. That probably says more about me, but I won't take away from the Cooney love this weekend.

AndrewP6
19-08-2016, 06:36 PM

Even though Haylea often takes the kids to watch the Dogs games and sits with our cheer squad?

Remi Moses
19-08-2016, 06:47 PM
He'll always be known as a Dog life member
The injury killed a potentially great career, and with Williams not having a career , hurt our flag chances in 09/10
Bit of super at Essendon

Sedat
19-08-2016, 08:12 PM

Around 9 years ago I used to salivate at the prospect of a starting midfield of Cooney, Griffin and Higgins, with a young Ward coming through :sigh:

SonofScray
19-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Gave us terrific service, all things considered. Never saw him reach the heights we all wanted due to injury but he fought hard to remain an important player. Left in poor circumstances to a hated rival which diminishes his standing as a Saltwater Lad but it was the right move at the right time for everyone. All the best in retirement.

jeemak
20-08-2016, 01:26 AM
Around 9 years ago I used to salivate at the prospect of a starting midfield of Cooney, Griffin and Higgins, with a young Ward coming through :sigh:

Cooney was always the best of them for mine. He was the complete 185cm midfielder - almost the best I've seen in that ilk.

Higgins was by far the best finisher, and Griffen the best grinding player after some some bloody reason he decided to put running and open touches on the back burner.

If only two of the three had the constitution to lead.....

Twodogs
20-08-2016, 02:06 AM
Cooney was always the best of them for mine. He was the complete 185cm midfielder - almost the best I've seen in that ilk.

Higgins was by far the best finisher, and Griffen the best grinding player after some some bloody reason he decided to put running and open touches on the back burner.

If only two of the three had the constitution to lead.....

Just goes to show how important leadership is.

MrMahatma
20-08-2016, 11:49 AM
I genuinely get a bit sad when thinking about Cooney's injury, the impact that had on him personally and on the club in general.

I wish him all the best. One of my fave players and electrifying at his peak.

I hope the bummers lose by 100 with Cooney slotting their only 4 goals for the game.

strebla
21-08-2016, 01:10 AM
I am very disappointed I have to work tommorow would love to say thanks and farewell. He may retire a bomber but will always be a bulldog along with Crossy.

bornadog
25-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Has played his last game after confirming he won't be playing this week end.

chef
25-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Perfect finish for him.

bornadog
06-10-2016, 02:59 PM
On SEN today says he was pushed out of club, and ended up leaving for less money.

comrade
06-10-2016, 03:28 PM
On SEN today says he was pushed out of club, and ended up leaving for less money.

Can't remember if he was still contracted or not?

bornadog
06-10-2016, 06:17 PM
Can't remember if he was still contracted or not?

I think he was out of contract. Basically Macca didn't want him. He wanted to say. Said he would loved to have had a chance to talk to Bevo.

Frankly we have not needed him.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 06:18 PM
I think he was out of contract. Basically Macca didn't want him. He wanted to say. Said he would loved to have had a chance to talk to Bevo.

He had another year to run, and Essendon gave him two years.

comrade
06-10-2016, 07:00 PM

It runs counter to what he said at the time which was after speaking with BMac and JMac, he felt it was best if he moved on for opportunities elsewhere and to further fast track our younger mids. He was also taken with Hird for some reason. And the spongy floors at Tullamarine.

And let's be honest, if he spent 2015 in the VFL - which would have been a distinct possibility - it's likely his career was toast once his final year was up. By trading him at the end of 2014, he was able to squeeze a 2 year deal out of Essendon so financially, he's probably ahead.

lemmon
06-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Saw Coons at the ground on Saturday with Ryan Hargrave. I honestly feel for the bloke, he gave a lot of blood and pain for the club

FrediKanoute
06-10-2016, 09:30 PM
In hindsight it was a good decision for the Bulldogs and probably for Adam. I doubt very much whether he would have been part of our best 22 this year, so he would have been unlikely to have played on Saturday. I do feel for him though. he was one of a few whom McCartney had identified as being part of the old generation - not going to contribute to the next tilt. As harsh as that sounds though McCartney was right and whilst not a nice thing he made a tough call on Cooney, something historically we have tended as a club not to do.

I do feel for Coon's though. We forget just how good a player he was. Watch footage of his early years and you realise that he was a true superstar. Shame about the injuries.

Sedat
06-10-2016, 11:28 PM
Sounds like some revisionist history from the Coon Dog in light of us winning a flag in the same year his team finished last and his career has ended. He left a club that he thought was a complete mess, and for a longer-term contract. Everything he said at the time looked and sounded like a player delighted to be moving on.

I still love Coons for his time at our club but I'm not buying his story today.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Sounds like some revisionist history from the Coon Dog in light of us winning a flag in the same year his team finished last and his career has ended. He left a club that he thought was a complete mess, and for a longer-term contract. Everything he said at the time looked and sounded like a player delighted to be moving on.

Exactly this, 100%.

Remi Moses
06-10-2016, 11:37 PM
Don't forget the spongy training ground
Very important

bornadog
07-10-2016, 12:04 AM

When people get the sack they make up stories and say its either a mutual decision or they are looking for better opportunities. Its all about saving face.