PDA

View Full Version : Dion Prestia to return to Victoria for family reasons

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Near enough to official, if not official now, and has requested a trade to Victoria for family reasons. While the media have thrown Richmond around the reason given keeps open other teams to enquire within.

They (GCS) unsuccessfully went after Jong last year, who'd be a mature replacement for Prestia in 2017. We have a chunk of cash sitting around now, thanks Hurls. Should we enquire & pursue him? Is he what we need to improve next year? Is passing up another first rounder advisable?

comrade
18-08-2016, 10:42 PM
Not interested. His type can be picked up throughout the draft and are able to come on quickly.

Let Richmond pay through the nose.

bornadog
18-08-2016, 10:42 PM
Another Sook. I don't buy the family thing from professional sports people.

Twodogs
18-08-2016, 10:49 PM
Yes please. Has the sort of foot skills we really need.

hujsh
18-08-2016, 10:52 PM
Don't watch the Suns so the question for me is does he offer what we lack? Won't be cheap so he'd need to address an area of concern.

Yes please. Has the sort of foot skills we really need.

2nd Ninja today. I must be in feudal Japan

Rocco Jones
18-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Another Sook. I don't buy the family thing from professional sports people.

I don't get this comment. Why should someone HAVE to work away from their away if they have the option not to?

I consider myself very loyal but I would put my loved ones ahead of a footy club.

Note: not to say going home is not used as a dodgy excuse to get more money, just that if someone really wants to be in the same state as their loved ones, 'it's not good for footy' is a shit excuse for it not to happen.

bornadog
18-08-2016, 11:07 PM
I don't get this comment. Why should someone HAVE to work away from their away if they have the option not to?

I consider myself very loyal but I would put my loved ones ahead of a footy club.

Note: not to say going home is not used as a dodgy excuse to get more money, just that if someone really wants to be in the same state as their loved ones, 'it's not good for footy' is a shit excuse for it not to happen.

You join a National competition, you should expect to live and travel all over Australia. They get pretty big dollars to do so.

I can understand if you are away for many years and eventually want to go home, but these young guys using it either as an excuse to get out of there or are little mummies boys.

MrMahatma
18-08-2016, 11:30 PM
You join a National competition, you should expect to live and travel all over Australia. They get pretty big dollars to do so.

I can understand if you are away for many years and eventually want to go home, but these young guys using it either as an excuse to get out of there or are little mummies boys.

Did you move interstate at 18?

G-Mo77
18-08-2016, 11:34 PM

If BAD put himself in a National Draft he might have. I agree with him. If you don't qant to move interstate don't put yourself in the draft. Just play state footy.

bornadog
18-08-2016, 11:35 PM

For that sort of money yes I would. You don't have to go you know. Just stay home and not play.#nosympathy

MrMahatma
18-08-2016, 11:41 PM
For that sort of money yes I would. You don't have to go you know. Just stay home and not play.#nosympathy

Did you work at your first job for more than 2 years?

My point is that, if it's a job, then why can't they jus get their "foot in the door" then be selective after that? Happens in every industry.

Twodogs
18-08-2016, 11:44 PM
My son has just turned 18 and he's together enough to move interstate I reckon. He is just finishing VCE and we may face just that fairly shortly.

GVGjr
19-08-2016, 12:03 AM
Did you work at your first job for more than 2 years?

My point is that, if it's a job, then why can't they jus get their "foot in the door" then be selective after that? Happens in every industry.

I'm reluctant to be critical of Prestia because I don't know the story behind this request however, I think the point is if you join the army I don't think you have a lot of say in where you get stationed. While I'm sure there are some exceptions I don't believe they look too favorably on requests to be stationed back home. You enter professions like that and the AFL knowing the score. If it's really your dream you take that opportunity.

Players coming through the elite pathway into the AFL are constantly advised that they might need to ply their trade interstate away from their family so playing the family card to me in most cases isn't a great excuse. As I said I don't understand why Prestia has requested it but we might as well just have free agencies if the clubs and the competition don't stop pandering to player requests to go to their club of choice.

I hope Prestia is requesting a trade back to Victoria not one to Richmond.

Hotdog60
19-08-2016, 06:27 AM
He's nominated Richmond
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-18/tigers-win-race-for-gun-sun-dion-prestia

KT31
19-08-2016, 09:39 AM
He's nominated Richmond
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-18/tigers-win-race-for-gun-sun-dion-prestia

Was he a Tigers supporter growing up ?
Am I failing to see something with the Tigers ?
All I see is Richmond sliding further down the ladder in the coming years and it has been reported that he has had other suitors including Hawthorn.
So bar it being about dollars or a childhood dream, I don't get it.

bornadog
19-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Was he a Tigers supporter growing up ?
Am I failing to see something with the Tigers ?
All I see is the Richmond sliding further down the ladder in the coming years and it has been reported that he has had other suitors including Hawthorn.
So bar it being about dollars or a childhood dream, I don't get it.

Plus the Tigers have no chance playing finals for a few years at least.

jeemak
19-08-2016, 10:02 AM
Money. Hawks were the under-bidder trying to sell success, Richmond had the dollars.

bornadog
19-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Money. Hawks were the under-bidder trying to sell success, Richmond had the dollars.

Can be nothing else.

comrade
19-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Hurley and Prestia both seduced by the dollars. The game is changing, and maybe it's not such a bad thing. If the top teams can continually get players for unders by selling them on success, we'll never see a changing of the guard.

Much prefer middling teams paying overs to secure good players. Destabilises the team losing the player, and won't cause a huge change in fortunes for the incoming team.

bornadog
19-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Hurley and Prestia both seduced by the dollars. The game is changing, and maybe it's not such a bad thing. If the top teams can continually get players for unders by selling them on success, we'll never see a changing of the guard.

Much prefer middling teams paying overs to secure good players. Destabilises the team losing the player, and won't cause a huge change in fortunes for the incoming team.

The Hawks don't succumb to paying out big dollars to players. I wonder how long that will last.

jeemak
19-08-2016, 11:42 AM
As long as they're in contention. Once they're not they'll be affected by the same market forces as everyone else.

soupman
19-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Not sure the Prestia to Richmond deal works in either parties favour that much for the cost.

For Prestia he joins a proven finals wilter (should they get there) with a few top players and a very week rest of 22. Sure he gets extra money but he still would have gotten good money at many other clubs that are a surer thing success wise.

And while Richmond get a very good player, he is going to cost them a shitload in picks which they should be using to help raise the quality of their overall best 22.

I just don't see why Richmond would be a destination club.

1eyedog
19-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Hurley / Prestia. When money is more important than Premierships. Fair enough I suppose but players are becoming less and less likely to play footy for the ultimate success now due to the lure of the almighty dollar.