PDA

View Full Version : Veteran Roos culled

Remi Moses
24-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Ok, I've gone with the obvious headline .
All things considered, is it odd timing just before finals to make this public ?
Not great for morale in the dressing room would of thought.
Besides Harvey, the other three are cooked

bulldogtragic
24-08-2016, 05:21 PM
I find the timing really, really weird. North will be thanking the AFEL for free agency compo because if they had to pay anything to get NDS then it'd be too much. Surprising Waite survived too with the injuries he's had this year.

Scraggers
24-08-2016, 05:32 PM
I thought Firrito would get one more year ???

Also surprised with the way they announce the player who has played more games than anyone else is getting cut ... velvet sledgehammer

Jeanette54
24-08-2016, 05:39 PM
The timing of the announcement could have been brought about by the players, who may well have wanted to settle their future for next year. One thing that it has settled is that there is no way they will be retiring as 2016 premiership players for North.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2016, 05:55 PM
Barry Hall's elbows wishes them a happy retirement.

Twodogs
24-08-2016, 06:06 PM
I find the timing really, really weird. North will be thanking the AFEL for free agency compo because if they had to pay anything to get NDS then it'd be too much. Surprising Waite survived too with the injuries he's had this year.

I genuinely think they forgot about Waite and he kept his head down while they decided who should go. That's gotta be a more obvious decision than Waite should spend another year on the long term injury list at north.

Barry Hall's elbows wishes them a happy retirement.

One of the funniest things I've seen in a game. Barry Hall bopping opponents with the back of his elbow. It was like a bizarre ballet.

GVGjr
24-08-2016, 07:07 PM
Roscoe is not impressed. He said it should have been done 12 months earlier...along with Brad Scott

bornadog
24-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Roscoe is not impressed. He said it should have been done 12 months earlier...along with Brad Scott

With the results in the second half of the season he is correct.

azabob
24-08-2016, 07:55 PM
I thought Firrito would get one more year ???

Also surprised with the way they announce the player who has played more games than anyone else is getting cut ... velvet sledgehammer

Sarcasm with Ferrito?

1eyedog
24-08-2016, 08:05 PM
They'll be stuffed without Harvey. He won at least three games for them this year.

The Doctor
24-08-2016, 08:07 PM
So Norf have now gone from being easily the oldest team in the league to simply being the oldest team in the league?

bulldogtragic
24-08-2016, 08:26 PM
If we treated Grant or Johno like Harvey has been treated I'd be pissed. Harvey earned the right to make an announcement be it retiring or if moving on, after the year. On top of Scott badly hosing down the excitement of his 400th last year, he's been treated like crap by Scott & North. As much as I love Picken smashing him, he deserves better and I reckon will get another season for sure. He could be the 2017 version of Stevie J playing out a good last season or two elsewhere.

Greystache
24-08-2016, 08:54 PM
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z455/Greystache/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-08-24-19-41-16-2_zpshp5by6e2.png (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Greystache/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-08-24-19-41-16-2_zpshp5by6e2.png.html)

azabob
24-08-2016, 08:57 PM
It reminds me of when Terry Wallace told us in round 21 he would be leaving at seasons end, instead we bought forward his end.

EasternWest
24-08-2016, 09:11 PM
If we treated Grant or Johno like Harvey has been treated I'd be pissed. Harvey earned the right to make an announcement be it retiring or if moving on, after the year. On top of Scott badly hosing down the excitement of his 400th last year, he's been treated like crap by Scott & North. As much as I love Picken smashing him, he deserves better and I reckon will get another season for sure. He could be the 2017 version of Stevie J playing out a good last season or two elsewhere.

Didn't we kind of treat West like this?

Greystache
24-08-2016, 09:16 PM

West had a stress fracture in his knee, he'd missed the second half of the season, and there was doubt he'd be able to play the next season.

Harvey is 2 goals off his career best season.

EasternWest
24-08-2016, 09:17 PM
West had a stress fracture in his knee, he'd missed the second half of the season, and there was doubt he'd be able to play the next season.

All fair enough, but he was also adamant he could go on (a statement even he in hindsight admits was wrong - FWIW moving him on was the right thing to do in my mind, just felt a bit heartless).

bulldogtragic
24-08-2016, 09:20 PM

In his last VFL game he could barely walk. It was really sad to see a champion like that.

comrade
24-08-2016, 09:21 PM

Exactly. If he was stinking it up, you'd understand giving him a push. That fact it was done via Twitter amidst near career best form is ridiculous. They're making our PR skills look world class.

boydogs
24-08-2016, 09:24 PM

It's likely to be their last game in Melbourne this week, they're probably going to play GWS in Sydney next week and get knocked out. Announcing it now means a crowd boost this week with people coming to see them for the last time

bulldogtragic
24-08-2016, 09:29 PM
It's likely to be their last game in Melbourne this week, they're probably going to play GWS in Sydney next week and get knocked out. Announcing it now means a crowd boost this week with people coming to see them for the last time

You're way too kind to North I think. Announcing it the way the did and how they did is incredibly disrespectful to Boomer in particular.

ratsmac
24-08-2016, 09:34 PM
I expected the others to retire but I'm shocked about Harvey. He could easily played another year. And the way it has all gone down is astounding. Normally when they don't offer a new contract they make it out that the player has called time. There is more dignity that way for the player.

comrade
24-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Chairman saying an 'aggressive reset' is required a fortnight out from finals. What a balls up.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Chairman saying an 'aggressive reset' is required a fortnight out from finals. What a balls up.

I'm glad it's not us for a change in one sense. As much as I don't rate them as players now, except Harvey, 3 X 300 & 1 X 200 game players deserve a red carpet exit and place in the club's history. This is a new low for them, and that's really low.

LostDoggy
24-08-2016, 10:03 PM

Pffttt.
Aggressive Reset?
They've still got Nahas and Fray on their books FFS!!

LostDoggy
24-08-2016, 10:17 PM
Should give NM motivation for this week which increases the chances of them beating GWS. That's good for us, therefore I give the incompetent North hierarchy two thumbs up.

azabob
24-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Should give NM motivation for this week which increases the chances of them beating GWS. That's good for us, therefore I give the incompetent North hierarchy two thumbs up.

I think it will have the opposite effect.

Twodogs
24-08-2016, 10:59 PM

Get him on. I'd like to hear Roscoe's views on this.

FWIW when I heard Scott say words to the effect that they had to make this decision in the best interests of the future of the club I wondered if Scott would also be tendering his resignation under the same conditions. I don't know how long North can afford to let him run the club into the ground.

From memory the story I heard was that Scooter was called into a meeting where he was pretty much told he was retiring but given the chance to make the announcement and make it look like it was decision. He asked for some time to think about it and went outside to think it through. While he was outside thinking about it he rang some reporters and told them he was being pushed.

Webby
24-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Although I recall a clear feeling of "Norf's headed off the edge of a cliff" during our game against them a few weeks back, I can't help but feel they've fluffed this one..

Harvey has been good this year and is a club legend. The Firrito decision was a no brainer, dal Santo is cooked and so is Petrie. However, Nahas is a never-will-be and Farren Ray was already identified as a blocker of developing talent on a rebuilding St Kilda list.

Therefore, surely it's out with Nahas, Ray, Petrie and Ferrito, whilst Harvey stays?! if you had a choice of one more year out of a good 38 year old, or one more year out of a poor 31 year old, wouldn't you go with the good 38 year old?! Particularly if the other two are ordinary ring-ins and the 38 year old is an in form club legend?!

Twodogs
24-08-2016, 11:27 PM
I would have been looking closely at exactly how much value they got from Wells too. Good player. Seductively good because the quality of what you get from him is great but he is injured or hampered by injuries a lot.

EasternWest
24-08-2016, 11:48 PM
Although I recall a clear feeling of "Norf's headed off the edge of a cliff" during our game against them a few weeks back, I can't help but feel they've fluffed this one..

Harvey has been good this year and is a club legend. The Firrito decision was a no brainer, dal Santo is cooked and so is Petrie. However, Nahas is a never-will-be and Farren Ray was already identified as a blocker of developing talent on a rebuilding St Kilda list.

Therefore, surely it's out with Nahas, Ray, Petrie and Ferrito, whilst Harvey stays?! if you had a choice of one more year out of a good 38 year old, or one more year out of a poor 31 year old, wouldn't you go with the good 38 year old?! Particularly if the other two are ordinary ring-ins and the 38 year old is an in form club legend?!

That's a good analysis Webby

Scraggers
25-08-2016, 01:23 AM
Sarcasm with Ferrito?

Ooooh yeah

Remi Moses
25-08-2016, 03:30 AM
Come aboard Roscoe . Handled poorly, and I reckon B Scott will try what C Scott did .
Thing is there ain't no Dangerfield out there . This could be a Freo fall off the cliff

Twodogs
25-08-2016, 04:39 AM
Did anyone else hope the thread title referred to Paul Roos?

bulldogtragic
25-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Apparently North members are threatening to cut up their memberships and hold a protest at Etihad before the GWS game, over the way the club handled it (not necessarily the decision). Scott's press coherence has done nothing to make it better.

Topdog
25-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Come aboard Roscoe . Handled poorly, and I reckon B Scott will try what C Scott did .
Thing is there ain't no Dangerfield out there . This could be a Freo fall off the cliff

I was actually calling North for the spoon in round 11 this year. With this announcement I'm more confident.

Who is this Roscoe people are talking about?

1eyedog
25-08-2016, 11:04 AM
I was actually calling North for the spoon in round 11 this year. With this announcement I'm more confident.

Who is this Roscoe people are talking about?

Open-minded North supporter, GVGjr's mate and some times poster.

Dancin' Douggy
25-08-2016, 11:10 AM
A public relations disaster. And.......... Harvey is playing great footy.
The other 3 can go..........but the Harvey call is a monumental howler on every level.

Roscoe_G
25-08-2016, 01:13 PM
All,

Your moderator has called me out ...

Yesterday's asinine PR balls up quintessentially showed why North cannot be competitive at the pointy end of the season.

The clean out should have occurred last year, if not several years ago, with the coach and his coterie following. In my view, the decision makers have little to no clue on list management, and it would now appear PR management.

I actually don't follow the footy much any more, with North's current fall from grace obvious from afar.

Now .. a team like the Bulldogs is one worth following. Barring JJ and Bob's injuries, I think you would now be higher on the ladder, with a very genuine chance of the ultimate success. At your best, the Bulldogs are a scintillating team - much like North of a previous era.

Twodogs
25-08-2016, 01:26 PM
All,

Your moderator has called me out ...

Yesterday's asinine PR balls up quintessentially showed why North cannot be competitive at the pointy end of the season.

The clean out should have occurred last year, if not several years ago, with the coach and his coterie following. In my view, the decision makers have little to no clue on list management, and it would now appear PR management.

I actually don't follow the footy much any more, with North's current fall from grace obvious from afar.

Now .. a team like the Bulldogs is one worth following. Barring JJ and Bob's injuries, I think you would now be higher on the ladder, with a very genuine chance of the ultimate success. At your best, the Bulldogs are a scintillating team - much like North of a previous era.

Welcome back roscoe. That Brad Scott is a very bad man. We are very vocal critics at WOOF. I wonder if he is as keen to examine a future at North without him as he was the players.

And how did Waite miss out? Contracted or did he hide behind a door everytime the list managers turned up?

bornadog
25-08-2016, 01:31 PM
All,

The clean out should have occurred last year, if not several years ago, with the coach and his coterie following.

At least they made the decision now, but ballsed up the timing. Should have waited till seasons end and then held a function to farewell them.

Now .. a team like the Bulldogs is one worth following.

Buy a membership and you are in. :)

Mofra
25-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Scott's press coherence has done nothing to make it better.
The best description I heard was Scott saying if they were on the list he couldn't help but play them in 2017.
So he's basically an overeater that has gotten someone else to padlock the fridge.

Roscoe_G
25-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Welcome back roscoe. That Brad Scott is a very bad man. We are very vocal critics at WOOF. I wonder if he is as keen to examine a future at North without him as he was the players.

And how did Waite miss out? Contracted or did he hide behind a door everytime the list managers turned up?

Thanks Twodogs.

Your comments are very fair in my view. Scott is a terrible coach, with a long-term track record which is at best underwhelming - how he can not be part of the en masse exit is inexplicable. As for Waite, he has been utterly terrible for most of his stay at North, punctuated by about 6 or 7 games earlier this season befitting Malcolm Blight. His reversion to the mean of his form and ability was all but assured. Yes, he should go to, along with Ray, Higgins and Nahas. However, real the point is: these types of marginal and chequered players should not have been recruited to the club in the first place.

For the record, Firitto has been excellent this year, but I think it a timely point for him to exit.

Mofra
25-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Reminds me of the Bulldogs saying were were having a "reset not a rebuild" as we showed Eade the door and brought B-Mac in.

North don't have kids like Libba, Wallis, Dahl, Roughy and JJ on their list as we did, either.

Twodogs
25-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Thanks Twodogs.

Your comments are very fair in my view. Scott is a terrible coach, with a long-term track record which is at best underwhelming - how he can not be part of the en masse exit is inexplicable. As for Waite, he has been utterly terrible for most of his stay at North, punctuated by about 6 or 7 games earlier this season befitting Malcolm Blight. His reversion to the mean of his form and ability was all but assured. Yes, he should go to, along with Ray, Higgins and Nahas. However, real the point is: these types of marginal and chequered players should not have been recruited to the club in the first place.

For the record, Firitto has been excellent this year, but I think it a timely point for him to exit.

On SEN this morning they said that North had debuted 3 players over the last two seasons. I reckon there were times over the last couple of years that we debuted 3 players in a game. The best thing that happened to us over the last few years was Griffen walking out the door. It gave us a chance to cut further into our list than we would have dared otherwise. The loss of Cooney, Higgins, Jones and Tutt seemed fairly minor in comparison and saved the club a lot of uproar over losing so many club favorites at once. That we were able to parley the draft picks we got for those guys into kids like Daniel, Maclean, Webb, Williams and Lynch was the real bonus. While its Bontempelli, stringer and Macrae that are the real quality, it's kids like the former backing them up and playing good footy for years to come that fills me with confidence that our time has finally arrived.

I reckon we could even indulge ourselves and check what Boomer Harvey has planned next year. Unlike a lot of our forwards he can kick straight.

jeemak
25-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Let's see us make 2 X preliminary finals in a row before we start the internal back slapping.

North's list hasn't been rated in these parts these past couple of years meaning preliminary finals are either easy to get to, North have been plain old lucky, or Brad Scott can actually coach.

Twodogs
25-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Let's see us make 2 X preliminary finals in a row before we start the internal back slapping.

I don't think I'd see two more prelim final losses. I'd top myself after the first one.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Harvey has released a statement. Sounds like he wants to play on. We are apparently looking for a small forward to add to the balance of our list, could he fit the bill like Stevie J did for GWS?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Harvey has released a statement. Sounds like he wants to play on. We are apparently looking for a small forward to add to the balance of our list, could he fit the bill like Stevie J did for GWS?

Do we really need another sub 180cm player on our list? One who is 39 years old next year?

Remi Moses
25-08-2016, 02:47 PM

North's list hasn't been rated in these parts these past couple of years meaning preliminary finals are either easy to get to, North have been plain old lucky, or Brad Scott can actually coach.

I tend to agree Jee, but I think North got fortunate last season .
The win against Richmond was pretty decent , but beating Sydney without Jack, Parker, Buddy and Nick Smith was good fortune.
They've been short by a long way in those prelims, and I think they've swung to far in their recruiting of senior bodies .

1eyedog
25-08-2016, 03:09 PM

I just can't digest the idea of seeing him in red, white and blue I would spew up. When we get our mids back wouldn't he be taking Hrovat's position?

Bulldog4life
25-08-2016, 03:09 PM
Do we really need another sub 180cm player on our list? One who is 39 years old next year?

Yes and yes if it is Harvey. Would definitely recruit him for one year. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Sedat
25-08-2016, 03:17 PM

A good comparison is between Brad Scott and Rocket. Whilst we made 3 PF's in a row under similar circumstances in 2008-10, we were in reality much closer to a GF and a premiership than Norf were in 2014-15 despite the same PF finish. They finished no higher than 6th in H&A in the 7 years under Brad Scott whereas we finished top 4 in 3 consecutive years and were just pipped in 2 of those PF's - as a comparison Rocket was sacked after his 7th year at the kennel when we were already on the downward spiral and outside the top 8, whereas Scott is asking to lead the charge on an overdue rebuild while he torches a club legend still playing close enough to his peak. Both Rocket and Brad Scott topped up to try and reach the holy grail, which is entirely fair, and whilst Rocket was slow to regenerate our senior team with youth after we hit the skids, he was Speedy Gonzalez compared to Brad Scott.

The only winner out of this is Firrito - he is somehow being lumped into a conversation about 3 other genuinely top shelf players despite being a talentless dud shit hack sniper whose games tally of 270-odd is proof that Norf have had terrible depth and no injuries (until this year) during the Scott era.

bornadog
25-08-2016, 03:24 PM

You mean sub 170cm :D

No thank you to recruiting him - basically not needed.

GVGjr
25-08-2016, 08:26 PM
The only winner out of this is Firrito - he is somehow being lumped into a conversation about 3 other genuinely top shelf players despite being a talentless dud shit hack sniper whose games tally of 270-odd is proof that Norf have had terrible depth and no injuries (until this year) during the Scott era.

In my opinion I think this is very unfair on Firrito. He was a player that got the most out of his ability and in a team like ours a few years back he would have been regarded as a good honest player rather than your interpretation of the type of player he has been.

I remember when the Hawks were running through Swallow and Goldy with dirty tactics it was only Spud who flew the flag and he didn't do it with cheap shots like Hodge and Lewis did.

I certainly respected him.

Twodogs
25-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Didn't think that Firrito played that many games.

He's the sort of player you like to play with because half the opposition are trying to knock him out and his teammates run free.

Rocco Jones
25-08-2016, 08:43 PM
I think Boomer is at least worth a think. If everything else was exactly the same, but he was 30, who would want him for one year whilst chasing a flag? I think you would be mad to not look at it. Say no one else is keen or he just wants to be play for a contender. I think it's easy when you're a contender. If it comes cheap, do anything to make your 22 better.

I rate 3 stats in a stand alone nature. Contested possessions, intercept marks and score involvements. I do not like one dimensional players but if you are a gun in one of those three, I want you at the Bulldogs. Boomer currently sits = 15th in the league overall in score involvements. That's so best 22 it's not funny.

1eyedog
25-08-2016, 09:07 PM
I think Boomer is at least worth a think. If everything else was exactly the same, but he was 30, who would want him for one year whilst chasing a flag? I think you would be mad to not look at it. Say no one else is keen or he just wants to be play for a contender. I think it's easy when you're a contender. If it comes cheap, do anything to make your 22 better.

I rate 3 stats in a stand alone nature. Contested possessions, intercept marks and score involvements. I do not like one dimensional players but if you are a gun in one of those three, I want you at the Bulldogs. Boomer currently sits = 15th in the league overall in score involvements. That's so best 22 it's not funny.

Dude its Boomer! He hates us and we hate him. It just wouldn't be a good look for us. I'm not one for selling out to get a marginal output. He was a champ but he can rot in retirement.

Rocco Jones
25-08-2016, 09:10 PM
Dude its Boomer! He hates us and we hate him. It just wouldn't be a good look for us. I'm not one for selling out to get a marginal output. He was a champ but he can rot in retirement.

Does he hate us?

I am over being a petty, small club. We are contenders now. Anything that helps us win a premiership is good by me. Let pathetic clubs worry about petty stuff.

1eyedog
25-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Does he hate us?

I am over being a petty, small club. We are contenders now. Anything that helps us win a premiership is good by me. Let pathetic clubs worry about petty stuff.

But that's my point. We don't need washed up heroes topping up their super at our club anymore. He'll be 39 next year and expect a downward spiral. Let pathetic clubs like North and the Pies pick up the flotsam and jetsam of the draft. We have a very strong list now and for mine getting Boomer would be just too weird.

jeemak
25-08-2016, 09:46 PM
A good comparison is between Brad Scott and Rocket. Whilst we made 3 PF's in a row under similar circumstances in 2008-10, we were in reality much closer to a GF and a premiership than Norf were in 2014-15 despite the same PF finish. They finished no higher than 6th in H&A in the 7 years under Brad Scott whereas we finished top 4 in 3 consecutive years and were just pipped in 2 of those PF's - as a comparison Rocket was sacked after his 7th year at the kennel when we were already on the downward spiral and outside the top 8, whereas Scott is asking to lead the charge on an overdue rebuild while he torches a club legend still playing close enough to his peak. Both Rocket and Brad Scott topped up to try and reach the holy grail, which is entirely fair, and whilst Rocket was slow to regenerate our senior team with youth after we hit the skids, he was Speedy Gonzalez compared to Brad Scott.

I don't disagree with any of what you've posted, though that's not really what my post was getting to.

Look at it this way, if Brad Scott is such an ordinary coach then that's basically admitting that North has underachieved these past few years and should have finished higher on the ladder and been closer in the prelims they played. Does anyone really believe that's the case?

My view is they've actually been fortunate that only one side has been premiership material these past two years and the rest have been top six quality sides. It's funny that this year, it seems there's about six or seven top four material sides but not one clearly excellent team.

Hawks have won a tripple in some of the weakest fields going around, North have finished top four due to the same reason and I think a lot of that was due to coaching. I rate Scott a bit higher than most, though I don't rate North's list management.

1eyedog
25-08-2016, 09:57 PM
Brent Harvey likely to play at the Bulldogs next year

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/north-heidelberg-pretty-confident-north-melbourne-champion-brent-harvey-would-play-at-the-bulldogs/news-story/4417e9fece117fa9e87ec74f097e25e9

Rocco Jones
25-08-2016, 10:01 PM
But that's my point. We don't need washed up heroes topping up their super at our club anymore. He'll be 39 next year and expect a downward spiral. Let pathetic clubs like North and the Pies pick up the flotsam and jetsam of the draft. We have a very strong list now and for mine getting Boomer would be just too weird.

Washed up? Washed up is when your form goes down. He has been quality this year. People said he was too 6 years ago.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2016, 10:04 PM
Brent Harvey likely to play at the Bulldogs next year

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/north-heidelberg-pretty-confident-north-melbourne-champion-brent-harvey-would-play-at-the-bulldogs/news-story/4417e9fece117fa9e87ec74f097e25e9

Finally, a click bait worth the click. :)

1eyedog
25-08-2016, 10:09 PM
Washed up? Washed up is when your form goes down. He has been quality this year. People said he was too 6 years ago.

I mean more the very end of his career rather than his output, washed up in terms of it's his time. That said his first half of the year was superior to his second and I am concerned about the expected form drop off next year. Added to this I just can't get past the thought of him in our colours. If the powers that be think he's our 2017 Jed Adcock so be it.

Rocco Jones
25-08-2016, 10:17 PM
I mean more the very end of his career rather than his output, washed up in terms of it's his time. That said his first half of the year was superior to his second and I am concerned about the expected form drop off next year. Added to this I just can't get past the thought of him in our colours. If the powers that be think he's our 2017 Jed Adcock so be it.

Jed Adcock looked way older in 2015 than Brent Harvey does in 2016. Harvey looks like a 20 year old out there compared to Suckers.

Rocco Jones
25-08-2016, 10:18 PM
I think recruiters often think inside the square, group thinK. Ignore all rational that says Harvey is still quality and in all likelihood, contribute to a contending side's best 22 just because his birth certificate indicates he is 38.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Once the dust settles, I can't see Boomer wanting to go on.

Still - it's a mistake by Norf. As much as I can't stand him, he's still a pretty good player and would be in their top 6.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2016, 10:25 PM
I can't wait to see North crowds turn on players like Nahas who will be gifted games in Harvey's absence, and do nothing of substance. Who does Picken smash from now on? Swallow?

Rocco Jones
25-08-2016, 10:33 PM
Once the dust settles, I can't see Boomer wanting to go on.

Still - it's a mistake by Norf. As much as I can't stand him, he's still a pretty good player and would be in their top 6.

I can't stand him either but he is still quality. When rating players I think about how dangerous I see them when they are playing the Dogs. Boomer still warrants close attention.

There was a comment about his form dropping off toward the end of the season. In North's last 6 games they have played some very decent opposition. His stats are...
Average 1.5 goals per game
8.5 score involvements per game (Eddie Betts is #4 overall in score involvements this year and he averages 8.1)
25 disposals per game

1eyedog
25-08-2016, 10:35 PM
Finally, a click bait worth the click. :)

Couldn't help it :)

Twodogs
25-08-2016, 10:35 PM
I can't wait to see North crowds turn on players like Nahas who will be gifted games in Harvey's absence, and do nothing of substance. Who does Picken smash from now on? Swallow?

Reckon Nahas and a few others will be cut with less fanfare and no fond farewell later in tge trade period. Unless he's contracted for next year of course.

Like, snortle, Liam Jones is at Carlton!

Remi Moses
25-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Jed Adcock looked way older in 2015 than Brent Harvey does in 2016. Harvey looks like a 20 year old out there compared to Suckers.

Bit harsh on Suckling . Reckon he's been carrying that Achilles for a while

1eyedog
25-08-2016, 10:41 PM
I think recruiters often think inside the square, group thinK. Ignore all rational that says Harvey is still quality and in all likelihood, contribute to a contending side's best 22 just because his birth certificate indicates he is 38.

You're right. His form this year is best 22 at most if not all clubs. It's just like Doug and Fitzroy though and it shouldn't happen.

Rocco Jones
25-08-2016, 10:44 PM
Bit harsh on Suckling . Reckon he's been carrying that Achilles for a while

Not having a go at Suckling. Quality player. Just people are so obsessed with heights, weights and birth certificates. Play footy very well is important too!

bulldogtragic
25-08-2016, 10:47 PM
I can't stand him either but he is still quality. When rating players I think about how dangerous I see them when they are playing the Dogs. Boomer still warrants close attention.

There was a comment about his form dropping off toward the end of the season. In North's last 6 games they have played some very decent opposition. His stats are...
Average 1.5 goals per game
8.5 score involvements per game (Eddie Betts is #4 overall in score involvements this year and he averages 8.1)
25 disposals per game

He seems positively driven by milestone games especially. He'd hit 450 next year playing the bulk of the year. I can see this being the carrot that keeps his fanatic drive going throughout 2017. He's a delisted free agent and can take up the last spot on the list. Say we do trade, and well hopefully, and we have pick 66 and a couple of rookie list spots or Boomer and a couple of rookie list spots what should we do?

We took Montgomery for a year, and his season was so-so but was instrumental in winning a final. Stewie Dew didn't do a lot at Hawthorn, but 15 minutes of his in the third quarter of the 2008 GF was instrumental in setting up the win. Stevie J has been a godsend to GWS. I'm not against enquiring with him as he's not getting and missing games with 'old man' niggles. I think a bonafide small forward who can kick goals, link up in goals/scores and if needed go into the midfield is something not to dismiss too quickly. Especially since we've been playing Jong, Dunkley and other mids as a deep or key forward. Given repeating this next year or Harvey, I'd much rather the ball be around Harvey deep forward than those guys and I think oppositions wouldn't like it either.

Twodogs
26-08-2016, 12:11 AM
Hopefully his motivation would be a bonus chance to play in a premiership and breaking 450 games is further down the list. Anyway surely when it's this many hundreds already then the fiftys in between don't really count. 500 is the next milestone I reckon.

LostDoggy
26-08-2016, 08:01 AM
Suspect a further motivation now would be to stick it up a few at North. Something perverse about putting a 38 year old on a rookie list, but can see an argument either way. Played every game this year, in his last had 32 possessions, 5 tackles and 3 goals against Sydney. Would be a fair upgrade on Adcock.

Sedat
26-08-2016, 10:01 AM
In my opinion I think this is very unfair on Firrito. He was a player that got the most out of his ability and in a team like ours a few years back he would have been regarded as a good honest player rather than your interpretation of the type of player he has been.

I remember when the Hawks were running through Swallow and Goldy with dirty tactics it was only Spud who flew the flag and he didn't do it with cheap shots like Hodge and Lewis did.

I certainly respected him.
I don't have a problem with players who are occasionally dirty but who have many strings to their bow - guys like Hodge and Lewis are snipers but they are also brilliant footballers. Even Scott Thompson from Norf is a dirty sniper but he is an exceptional one-on-one defender when fully fit. By contrast Firrito is a bog-standard ordinary player who has the one trick in his repertoire of being a faux-tough guy - that old-skool shtick has turned him into a caricature. He panics when caught one-on-one deep in defence and gives away too many frees, and he shits himself when he has the ball in his hands and invariably just boots it away without looking. It's obviously an effort full of determination to be able to play so many games, but I see him as a player of great limitations who has been able to play for so long in a team lacking depth and who clearly is a coaches favourite who was cut from the same cloth as a player.

Roscoe_G
26-08-2016, 02:54 PM
I don't have a problem with players who are occasionally dirty but who have many strings to their bow - guys like Hodge and Lewis are snipers but they are also brilliant footballers. Even Scott Thompson from Norf is a dirty sniper but he is an exceptional one-on-one defender when fully fit. By contrast Firrito is a bog-standard ordinary player who has the one trick in his repertoire of being a faux-tough guy - that old-skool shtick has turned him into a caricature. He panics when caught one-on-one deep in defence and gives away too many frees, and he shits himself when he has the ball in his hands and invariably just boots it away without looking. It's obviously an effort full of determination to be able to play so many games, but I see him as a player of great limitations who has been able to play for so long in a team lacking depth and who clearly is a coaches favourite who was cut from the same cloth as a player.

Hi Sedat,

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I certainly am not looking to start a back on forth internet exchange on this topic, but no serious North follower would concur with your critique. Firrito has been a fine player throughout his career, and very good this year. Indeed, he is my favourite player, and hence I am compelled to rebut your viewpoint.

To quote the great Glenn Archer, who passed on his number 11 to Firrito:

“I passed it on to ‘Spud’ because I love the way he plays,” Archer said this week.

“He was my choice, on and off the field. He’s a quality bloke.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/north-melbourne/michael-firrito-says-fatherhood-has-made-him-a-better-footballer/news-story/3632b5ad86cda2ab63085e4936c54cfe

I think Arch's words should be the last on this topic.

Sedat
26-08-2016, 03:21 PM
Hi Sedat,

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I certainly am not looking to start a back on forth internet exchange on this topic, but no serious North follower would concur with your critique. Firrito has been a fine player throughout his career, and very good this year. Indeed, he is my favourite player, and hence I am compelled to rebut your viewpoint.

To quote the great Glenn Archer, who passed on his number 11 to Firrito:

“I passed it on to ‘Spud’ because I love the way he plays,” Archer said this week.

“He was my choice, on and off the field. He’s a quality bloke.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/north-melbourne/michael-firrito-says-fatherhood-has-made-him-a-better-footballer/news-story/3632b5ad86cda2ab63085e4936c54cfe

I think Arch's words should be the last on this topic.
Roscoe, don't blame you at all for defending one of your own - I'd be doing exactly the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

FWIW I reckon you blokes will come out firing this weekend - GWS won't know what hit them.

Roscoe_G
26-08-2016, 03:32 PM
Roscoe, don't blame you at all for defending one of your own - I'd be doing exactly the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

FWIW I reckon you blokes will come out firing this weekend - GWS won't know what hit them.

Thanks Sedat. However, as my brief posting history on this forum suggests, I am a staunch critic on North. For me, Firrito has really been one of the few credible shining lights.

As for this week, reluctantly I will have to disagree with you again. I think we'll be slaughtered.

bornadog
26-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Thanks Sedat. However, as my brief posting history on this forum suggests, I am a staunch critic on North. For me, Firrito has really been one of the few credible shining lights.

As for this week, reluctantly I will have to disagree with you again. I think we'll be slaughtered.

I think Sedat is right, the boys will really fire up (I hope - as it will suit us)

1eyedog
26-08-2016, 06:42 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-doug-hawkins-wants-brent-harvey-to-join-dogs-after-north-melbourne-sacking/news-story/485222f2e3077b9642d506ad3a4d7ad0

As an aside has David King had plastic surgery?

bulldogtragic
26-08-2016, 07:54 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-doug-hawkins-wants-brent-harvey-to-join-dogs-after-north-melbourne-sacking/news-story/485222f2e3077b9642d506ad3a4d7ad0

As an aside has David King had plastic surgery?

So Doug Hawkins wants Boomer at the dogs. Interesting.

1eyedog
26-08-2016, 08:20 PM
So Doug Hawkins wants Boomer at the dogs. Interesting.

Apparently but the big question is has Kingy gone under the knife?

Doc26
26-08-2016, 08:29 PM

I hope not. We'll all be rooting for your boys.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Apparently but the big question is has Kingy gone under the knife?

No question about it. The big question is has Kingy put his money on Caleb Daniel for the Rising Star?

Roscoe_G
28-08-2016, 12:22 AM
I hope not. We'll all be rooting for your boys.

Sorry Bulldog fans, my view on tonight's result was prescient. I've been following North for too long for them to genuinely suprise me. It was an obvious call tonight.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Sorry Bulldog fans, my view on tonight's result was prescient. I've been following North for too long for them to genuinely suprise me. It was an obvious call tonight.

Boomer still well and truly has 'it'. Was a fantastic third quarter in particular. He was everywhere last night and again involved in a heap of scoring chains of play. If the dogs brains trust think he can do that next year, then I'd gladly have that influence in games inserted into our team and young smalls like Daniel, Hrovat, Honeychurch & McLean (many did training with Boomer as TAC players) learning from him on the track and in games.

dadsgirl16
28-08-2016, 12:08 PM
Golly if we get both Boomer and Vickery in RW&B I will have to do therapy to erase all the awful comments I have made in past years!

1eyedog
28-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Golly if we get both Boomer and Vickery in RW&B I will have to do therapy to erase all the awful comments I have made in past years!

Or confession! :)

Rocco Jones
28-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Boomer is so clearly best 22 in a contending side it's not funny.

Unless he wants big dollars or his attitude is seen to be divisive and harmful to the greater good of the team, I think the contenders would be mad to not have a talk with him.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2016, 11:29 PM
Boomer is not playing on and has formally retired from afl tonight.

bornadog
08-10-2016, 12:08 AM
Boomer is not playing on and has formally retired from afl tonight.

Did the best thing, even though North didn't do the best thing.