View Full Version : Players On and Off the Market 2016

Pages : [1] 2

bulldogtragic
25-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Truncating trade talk to players who are officially on the market:

Jaeger O'Meara
Jay Schultz
Dion Prestia
Brent Harvey - Delisted Free Agent, walks to the club of his choice if he wants to play on.
Cam McCarthy
Michael Hibberd

Possibly delisted free agents:

Petrie, NDS, Spudly Spud
Chris Dawes

Expected to request trades:

Aaron Black
Travis Cloke

(Remotely Decent) Free Agents (not re-signed):

Nathan Brown
Ty Vickery
Zack Clarke
Daniel Wells

mjp
25-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Zac Clarke is remotely decent?

The free agency pool is s-h-a-l-l-o-w.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Zac Clarke is remotely decent?

The free agency pool is s-h-a-l-l-o-w.

Compared to the rest on the list. Yep, just our luck as we grow to content that the cupboard is virtually empty.

comrade
25-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Thoughts on Aaron Black, mjp?

Remi Moses
25-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Brown from Collingwood?
Bit slow for me , as is Dawes .

ratsmac
25-08-2016, 07:57 PM
O'Meara is a big yes for me BUT at what cost for a player who has been injured for 2 years. He's like a Ferrari for sale that has a transmission problem, you know that once it's fixed it's an amazing car but will the problem come back. With that in mind you don't want to invest too much.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2016, 08:00 PM
O'Meara is a big yes for me BUT at what cost for a player who has been injured for 2 years. He's like a Ferrari for sale that has a transmission problem, you know that once it's fixed it's an amazing car but will the problem come back. With that in mind you don't want to invest too much.

Apparently he turned down something like $700,000 for two years. Whoever is prepared to pay that and possibly two high picks, good luck.

Throughandthrough
25-08-2016, 08:37 PM
I'd take Schulz before I took Cloke

ratsmac
25-08-2016, 10:22 PM
Double post

ratsmac
25-08-2016, 10:37 PM
Apparently he turned down something like $700,000 for two years. Whoever is prepared to pay that and possibly two high picks, good luck.

Maybe money isn't what is driving his decision to leave. He probably just wants to play football with a club that has history and a culture.

anfo27
25-08-2016, 10:40 PM
I'd take Schulz before I took Cloke

Not a bad idea if he passes a medical.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Maybe money isn't what is driving his decision to leave. He probably just wants to play football with a club that has history and a culture.

True dat. I agree with your analogy 100%. Two high picks and a very healthy salary for a guy who has spent 60% or more of his afl career in the rehab group is a high price to pay, Ferrari or not.

Remi Moses
25-08-2016, 10:57 PM
Schultz looks more cooked than Cloke .
I reckon Schultz was cooked last season

LostDoggy
26-08-2016, 07:42 AM

Not keen on Schultz. Doesn't cover the ground Cloke does either and is not as big a body.

Sedat
26-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Agree, and I was in seat 1A of the Schulz bandwagon while he was still spudding it up at Richmond. He's done like a dinner.

bornadog
26-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Agree, and I was in seat 1A of the Schulz bandwagon while he was still spudding it up at Richmond. He's done like a dinner.

They got some good years out of him, but agree with your assessment.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Apparently on SEN this arvo it was mentioned if a good offer came into Geelong for Steve Motlop they're open to trading him (presumably to get back into the draft this year at a good point).

bornadog
27-08-2016, 12:34 AM
Apparently on SEN this arvo it was mentioned if a good offer came into Geelong for Steve Motlop they're open to trading him (presumably to get back into the draft this year at a good point).
Again, no thanks

ledge
27-08-2016, 01:59 AM

The blokes about as consistent as tattslotto might get one minor win every 15 weeks

bulldogtragic
27-08-2016, 11:23 PM
Mark Stevens just said Ty Vickery is leaving Richmond.

My assumption is someone will offer him enough that Richmond's free agency compo is a second rounder. Around 24.

LostDoggy
27-08-2016, 11:28 PM

My assumption is someone will offer him enough that Richmond's free agency compo is a second rounder. Around 24.

Carlton.

lemmon
27-08-2016, 11:50 PM

I reckon Hawthorn back themselves in to turn him into a role player. I think they're going to be in for some pain continually going back to the mature-age well

hujsh
28-08-2016, 12:11 AM
I reckon Hawthorn back themselves in to turn him into a role player. I think they're going to be in for some pain continually going back to the mature-age well

Could a guy that averages 1.5-2 goals a game not potentially thrive in a more successful team as the 2nd optionforward and part time ruck?

I don't watch Richmond closely (or ever really) but I can envisage a player like that doing well with us and even moreso at the Hawks

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Could a guy that averages 1.5-2 goals a game not potentially thrive in a more successful team as the 2nd optionforward and part time ruck?

I don't watch Richmond closely (or ever really) but I can envisage a player like that doing well with us and even moreso at the Hawks

I agree. I'm really warming to the idea now. A defined role player who can kick 1-2 goals a game and be a decent second ruck option, leaving Tom at full forward, sounds like something to consider. Especially since he costs nothing but salary. I think he's very much like the North Melbourne version of David Hale, who ended up a premiership player.

macca
28-08-2016, 11:07 AM
I had the same thought with davd hale comparison. Hale could not get a game at north, and for what ever reason was not
in favour with Laidley, they played a younger Goldstein ahead of him! But look how damaging he was in the lead up to the finals ? he played his role succinctly . I think the limited interchange would show up his limited endurance

I remember vickery kicked 3 goals in the first quarter against Carlton a few years ago, so he obviously had talent

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 03:09 PM
Watching Vardy run around WO on the VFL TV game today, and he looks decidedly average if it's not delivered on a silver platter. With out entries into forward 50, I'd be concerned with this being replicated especially in a quicker and higher pressure level up.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 03:17 PM
I had the same thought with davd hale comparison. Hale could not get a game at north, and for what ever reason was not
in favour with Laidley, they played a younger Goldstein ahead of him! But look how damaging he was in the lead up to the finals ? he played his role succinctly . I think the limited interchange would show up his limited endurance

I remember vickery kicked 3 goals in the first quarter against Carlton a few years ago, so he obviously had talent

Looking at his profile, he's 200cm & 100kg and fairly mobile. Averages 1.3 goals a game, kicked a bag of 6 last year, and hasn't been overly used as the second ruck with Maric, Griffiths & Hampson. If he was turned into the genuine #2 ruck and resting forward and could break even or win while in there and keep up 1-2 goals a game that's a great result for us. Better yet we can leave Boyd forward, or ruck him if we lose a ruckman in game and/or have two 200cm/100kg targets up forward to mark or bring it to ground. The more and more I think about it, the more I find this appealing over Cloke (as well as free agent status for us).

bornadog
28-08-2016, 04:03 PM
Looking at his profile, he's 200cm & 100kg and fairly mobile. Averages 1.3 goals a game, kicked a bag of 6 last year, and hasn't been overly used as the second ruck with Maric, Griffiths & Hampson. If he was turned into the genuine #2 ruck and resting forward and could break even or win while in there and keep up 1-2 goals a game that's a great result for us. Better yet we can leave Boyd forward, or ruck him if we lose a ruckman in game and/or have two 200cm/100kg targets up forward to mark or bring it to ground. The more and more I think about it, the more I find this appealing over Cloke (as well as free agent status for us).

The other thing I like about Vickery is he is 26 years old so has lots of footy left in him. He should be at his peak as a tall.

LostDoggy
28-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Vickery as a free agent is a no brainer. Can't see anyone else in the market who's going to fill a very specific need so neatly. He won't be a superstar or a saviour, but he can ruck, is mobile, can contest around the ground and take inside 50 contested marks.

EasternWest
28-08-2016, 10:01 PM
Vickery as a free agent is a no brainer. Can't see anyone else in the market who's going to fill a very specific need so neatly. He won't be a superstar or a saviour, but he can ruck, is mobile, can contest around the ground and take inside 50 contested marks.

He's gotta get a short back and sides though. That haircut is deplorable.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 10:09 PM
Jonathan Giles & Jack Fitzpatrick both starred in wins to get their teams across the line. We don't need to recruit Goldstein or Mumford. Vickery will do the job nicely and as a free agent is a cherry on top. I think I'm now firmly completely in the recruit Ty Vickery thinking.

Bulldog4life
28-08-2016, 10:32 PM
The other thing I like about Vickery is he is 26 years old so has lots of footy left in him. He should be at his peak as a tall.

And he is an accurate kick for goal from what I've seen.

GVGjr
28-08-2016, 10:46 PM

The main reason I would consider him is that he is a free agent. If he can get his act together he could be a valuable player but from what I have seen he is like one of those cricket all-rounders who looks like has has the right tools but comes up short on delivery when it counts. I don't think he could hold his spot as a forward nor could he as a ruckman.

The bonus if we were to land him would be that Tom Boyd would be our primary target up forward and not needed as much to do some ruck work.

hujsh
28-08-2016, 11:59 PM
The main reason I would consider him is that he is a free agent. If he can get his act together he could be a valuable player but from what I have seen he is like one of those cricket all-rounders who looks like has has the right tools but comes up short on delivery when it counts. I don't think he could hold his spot as a forward nor could he as a ruckman.

The bonus if we were to land him would be that Tom Boyd would be our primary target up forward and not needed as much to do some ruck work.

Could Leigh Brown have done either?

soupman
29-08-2016, 12:07 AM
I would be for Vickery. Fills the role of second ruck much better than most, and helps with our ruck depth issue. Has been serviceable at AFL level, enough so that he would justifiably get a game for us. Would be a free agent, so costs little but salary cap space, and is a former pick 8 that has been developed by Richmond, which means he would be a chance to take another step forward if put in a better system such as ours.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2016, 12:08 AM
Could Leigh Brown have done either?

Or David Hale. North Melbourne didn't think so on both counts. But they now think Boomer is finished too. As for Vickery, he seems to me to a confidence player and everyone at Punt Road is clearly unhappy. I don't think he's going to be a superstar, but our mantra of flexibility means we have a ruck/defender in Roughy, ruck/forwards in Campbell & Vickery and Tom Boyd at Full Forward who can pinch hit if he has to with a second tall target. The flow on effect for our forward line is worth more than the sum of the parts I feel.

If we were forced to offer Cloke or Vickery three years and similar money (with Collingwood paying some), I wouldn't think twice about which one and Vickery comes free.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2016, 12:10 AM
I would be for Vickery. Fills the role of second ruck much better than most, and helps with our ruck depth issue. Has been serviceable at AFL level, enough so that he would justifiably get a game for us. Would be a free agent, so costs little but salary cap space, and is a former pick 8 that has been developed by Richmond, which means he would be a chance to take another step forward if put in a better system such as ours.

That's the problem at Richmond, the internal pressure and fan pressure is about his output as a top 10 pick. If he comes to us with a fresh start, he's a recycled player who his new club believes in and has only his and the internal expectations around his role. That should be quite good for his mindset and confidence you'd have to think.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-08-2016, 12:37 AM
At the very least it would be disappointing if we didn't enquire about Vickery.

macca
29-08-2016, 02:15 AM
It is ironic that Leigh Brown(2008 delisted north) and David Hale could not get a game at north and became dedicated part players to be in premierships .
right time right place ? or shrewd recruiting . Vickery kinda has shades of these factors for the doggies to look at recruiting him.

Remi Moses
29-08-2016, 02:26 AM
The issue I have with Vickery is that he's a mobile inconsistent non marking forward .
The way we enter the forward 50 John Coleman and plugger would struggle to get on the end of one .

Bulldog Joe
29-08-2016, 10:31 AM
I am in the get Vickery camp.

He would fit with what we need and has more flexibility than Cloke. He has shown forward than Campbell or Roughead.

We would just need to get him to believe in himself.

GVGjr
29-08-2016, 06:44 PM
I am in the get Vickery camp.

He would fit with what we need and has more flexibility than Cloke. He has shown forward than Campbell or Roughead.

We would just need to get him to believe in himself.

He's a better forward than ruckman. The advantage of getting him probably means Tom Boyd doesns't need to spend much time in the ruck. So we could potentially have a forward line of Boyd, Vickery, Crameri, Stringer and Dickson along with McLean, Daniel, Smith and a few other mids rotating through. It's a big forward line/

What does that leave for Redpath and Campbell/Roughead?

ledge
29-08-2016, 07:17 PM
He's a better forward than ruckman. The advantage of getting him probably means Tom Boyd doesns't need to spend much time in the ruck. So we could potentially have a forward line of Boyd, Vickery, Crameri, Stringer and Dickson along with McLean, Daniel, Smith and a few other mids rotating through. It's a big forward line/

Remember Roughy was our fullback for a while , he can go back and help us out against tall forwards

GVGjr
29-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Remember Roughy was our fullback for a while , he can go back and help us out against tall forwards

Not many rate him in that role. I suspect he will either ruck or play for Footscray if we do in fact acquire Vickery

Bulldog Joe
29-08-2016, 10:32 PM

Well Redpath won't play in 2017 and his future is clouded at best.

Not sure that either of Campbell or Roughead or players we can rely upon to take the next step.
As unpopular as it is on this site, I think Boyd is more likely to be the ruckman we need.

Vickery would make us more capable in 2017.

LostDoggy
29-08-2016, 11:05 PM

Hopefully it leaves them competing hard with the others for a spot. That's what we want. A big forward line is a good thing, as long as it is also mobile enough.

GVGjr
29-08-2016, 11:11 PM
Well Redpath won't play in 2017 and his future is clouded at best.

Not sure that either of Campbell or Roughead or players we can rely upon to take the next step.
As unpopular as it is on this site, I think Boyd is more likely to be the ruckman we need.

Vickery would make us more capable in 2017.

It's an interesting concept you raise. I tend to think that Boyd has the makings of a very good ruckman and if it wasn't due to the fact he has been paid so much I wonder if more people would hold a similar view.

We need to give him a season as the primary tall forward but maybe somewhere down the track he will be regarded as a both a forward and ruckman.

Bulldog4life
30-08-2016, 02:30 PM
It's an interesting concept you raise. I tend to think that Boyd has the makings of a very good ruckman and if it wasn't due to the fact he has been paid so much I wonder if more people would hold a similar view.

We need to give him a season as the primary tall forward but maybe somewhere down the track he will be regarded as a both a forward and ruckman.

That is the key to it G.

Greystache
30-08-2016, 02:43 PM
I tend to think that Boyd has the makings of a very good ruckman and if it wasn't due to the fact he has been paid so much I wonder if more people would hold a similar view.

I doubt it. We're a club that's been crying out for a key forward for two decades, we go out and recruit the one that was rated as the best of his generation coming through the TAC cup, then after a handful of games as a 19 year old forward we want to turn him into a ruckman. Most of the good ruckmen in the AFL were late picks or rookies that matured late.

Now there's talk we're chasing a washed up Cloke to give us a key forward target. It's as if this club has a clinical phobia of having a quality young key forward, and we have to turn them into something else. Maybe we just like the narrative that we're always just a quality key forward away from a premiership and just don't have the luck to land one.

Remi Moses
30-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Granted Cloke isn't the player he was in 2010, but I don't think he's washed up either .
There's pros and cons in his recruitment for me

bulldogtragic
30-08-2016, 02:59 PM
I doubt it. We're a club that's been crying out for a key forward for two decades, we go out and recruit the one that was rated as the best of his generation coming through the TAC cup, then after a handful of games as a 19 year old forward we want to turn him into a ruckman. Most of the good ruckmen in the AFL were late picks or rookies that matured late.

Now there's talk we're chasing a washed up Cloke to give us a key forward target. It's as if this club has a clinical phobia of having a quality young key forward, and we have to turn them into something else. Maybe we just like the narrative that we're always just a quality key forward away from a premiership and just don't have the luck to land one.

How many games has he played as a genuine tall full forward alone since joining us. Maybe 10? Them how many with decent delivery? Maybe 5? He's a gun forward and as you say a once in a generation player who was by far the best player in his draft year. Rucking him makes no sense. If we don't have good enough rucks, then get Vickery or Witts and allow Boyd to play the position he's dominated all his life. He's not going to get enough game experience to develop as a gun forward if he's contesting ruck contests around the ground. He may get a knee contact injury or do his shoulder again though. For the love of God...

Greystache
30-08-2016, 03:03 PM
How many games has he played as a genuine tall full forward alone since joining us. Maybe 10? Them how many with decent delivery? Maybe 5? He's a gun forward and as you say a once in a generation player who was by far the best player in his draft year. Rucking him makes no sense. If we don't have good enough rucks, then get Vickery or Witts and allow Boyd to play the position he's dominated all his life. He's not going to get enough game experience to develop as a gun forward if he's contesting ruck contests around the ground. He may get a knee contact injury or do his shoulder again though. For the love of God...

I'm not against getting Vickery, it'd be interesting to see how he goes suddenly playing at CHB. Meanwhile we can try to talk Petrie or Jonathon Brown out of retirement to be the key forward we've desperately been needing.

azabob
30-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Isn't Vickery already signed locked and loaded with Hawthorn?

mjp
30-08-2016, 03:13 PM
...once in a generation player ...

I keep hearing this but it simply isn't true.

When I coached in the 18's:

In 2011 Patton was a once in a generation player.
In 2012 Daniher was a once in a generation player.
In 2013 Boyd was a once in a generation player. Or maybe it was Hogan who is the same age but was drafted as a 17yo.
In 2014 McCartin (who is the same age as Hogan) was a once in a generation player.

Maybe I have got the years and dates wrong, but unless our definition of a 'generation' has become 'probably the best tall forward in this years draft'.

Expectations of Boyd are out of control but everyone saying he is a generational talent and 'clearly the best player in his draft class' are not helping.

Axe Man
30-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Dockers ruckman weighing up a fresh start (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-30/dockers-ruckman-zac-clarke-weighing-up-a-fresh-start)

FREMANTLE free agent Zac Clarke is weighing up whether to extend his career with the Dockers or seek a fresh start at one of several rival clubs pursuing him.

- AFL.com.au can confirm Levi Casboult has agreed to terms with Carlton on a new one-year deal.

- Gold Coast ruckman Tom Nicholls is expected to recommit to the Suns beyond 2016 soon.

- Out-of-contract spearhead Ben Griffiths looks set to remain at Punt Road as his talks with Richmond progress positively.

- Adelaide free agent Ricky Henderson appears increasingly likely to play on with the Crows despite rival interest.

- Melbourne free agent Jack Grimes' future at the club remains up in the air and might not be resolved until Casey's VFL finals campaign is over.

- North Melbourne forward Aaron Black will explore his trade options this October, but remains open to serving out the final season of his existing deal with the Roos.

Twodogs
30-08-2016, 08:50 PM
I'm not against getting Vickery, it'd be interesting to see how he goes suddenly playing at CHB. Meanwhile we can try to talk Petrie or Jonathon Brown out of retirement to be the key forward we've desperately been needing.

Plugger. We could bring Plugger back.

I'm sure Warwick Capper would be keen. We could have a two pronged attack. And the advantage is we could draft them as late as we liked. Nobody else is likely to.

Dry Rot
30-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Thread needs more John Butcher.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Thread needs more John Butcher.

Hasn't he been delisted yet??

azabob
30-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Hasn't he been delisted yet??

Yep. Delisted today.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2016, 09:42 PM
Yep. Delisted today.

Surprised it took until Tuesday to be honest.

Remi Moses
30-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Plugger. We could bring Plugger back.

I'm sure Warwick Capper would be keen. We could have a two pronged attack. And the advantage is we could draft them as late as we liked. Nobody else is likely to.

Speaking of the Wizz , he was 41$ at Sportsbet for the Brisbane job !
Hilarious

Twodogs
31-08-2016, 12:44 AM
Speaking of the Wizz , he was 41$ at Sportsbet for the Brisbane job !
Hilarious

I'd want considerably longer odds than that on Warwick capper getting any AFL coaching job anywhere ever if I was going to be tempted to back him.

LostDoggy
31-08-2016, 12:50 AM
I'd want considerably longer odds than that on Warwick capper getting any AFL coaching job anywhere ever if I was going to be tempted to back him.

If they offered odds of a million to one, they might actually get a few suckers to put 5 bucks on it and add a little to their coffers (and a little publicity). $41 is just silly.

Bulldog Joe
31-08-2016, 12:39 PM

Surely the odds you got would be irrelevant as it just will not happen.

Even 4 million to 1 would simply be a waste of the effort to take the bet.

bornadog
31-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Port has delisted Butcher.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Port has delisted Butcher.

He will be a handy country footballer.

bornadog
31-08-2016, 01:20 PM
He will be a handy country footballer.

Agreed

Webby
31-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Am I the boy one that thinks that, for Redpath cover, Drew Petrie for a year for free is better than Cloke at a price??

He presents well, would be a better mentor of sorts for Boyd, could come in and out of the side as required, kicks straight and is a pretty good pro..!

Just a thought. His returns year on year have been solid enough and he's a decent professional..

Mofra
31-08-2016, 02:23 PM
Am I the boy one that thinks that, for Redpath cover, Drew Petrie for a year for free is better than Cloke at a price??

He presents well, would be a better mentor of sorts for Boyd, could come in and out of the side as required, kicks straight and is a pretty good pro..!

Just a thought. His returns year on year have been solid enough and he's a decent professional..
God no. He's cooked.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2016, 02:29 PM

Yep. He should've been retired two years ago. He's well and truly cooked.

bornadog
31-08-2016, 02:29 PM
God no. He's cooked.

Even over done.

Last game against GWS, Petrie had 4 touches compared to Cloke 8 marks, 2 goals 2 and 10 disposals.

However, I wouldn't want to overpay for him.

Bulldog4life
31-08-2016, 02:39 PM

I'd say so Webby or maybe one of very few.

Remi Moses
31-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Petrie is well and truly done . Decent career

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Ben Lennon seeking more opportunities.

Wouldn't mind enquiring here, think he's had a few injuries which has stifled his development but the talent is there. Uses the ball well and can kick a goal.

Doesn't fit our versatility mantra but he's a solid medium forward option.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Prestia without surprise has nominated never playing winning finals, 9th place finishes, vicious fans but a large pay packet.

They're going to have to give up their first rounder. But they need to draft, I wonder who they might put up who we might be interested in?

Webby
31-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Yep. He should've been retired two years ago. He's well and truly cooked.

Same could be said about Cloke. I guess this is my point. Why are we bothering? We need a ruckman and a key defender..

bulldogtragic
31-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Same could be said about Cloke. I guess this is my point. Why are we bothering? We need a ruckman and a key defender..

If he comes cheap, what's the harm? Petrie looked like a 50yo country footballer on the weekend, Cloke was spritely and I wouldn't say he's cooked just yet.

Webby
31-08-2016, 08:25 PM
If he comes cheap, what's the harm?

Well, in my opinion, he's an unaccountable liability without the footy, he can't cover the ground required of a modern footballer, to do so he'd have to fine down - which would take away his one advantage, which is his bulk. If he does manage to catch the footy (which he plainly struggled to do this year - outside of a game in which he wore an ILLEGAL glove) his kicking for goal is an absolute liability.

I'd recommend we stay disciplined, stay calm and go for age profile and quality. Cloke is as cooked as Petrie.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Well, in my opinion, he's an unaccountable liability without the footy, he can't cover the ground required of a modern footballer, to do so he'd have to fine down - which would take away his one advantage, which is his bulk. If he does manage to catch the footy (which he plainly struggled to do this year - outside of a game in which he wore an ILLEGAL glove) his kicking for goal is an absolute liability.

I'd recommend we stay disciplined, stay calm and go for age profile and quality. Cloke is as cooked as Petrie.

I can't agree at all unfortunately. If we land Cloke you might have to cheer for him thinking he's cooked. :D

LostDoggy
31-08-2016, 09:09 PM
Would trust his accuracy for goal around the 50 mark more then 10-30 metres out.
If we leave him to float around the ark and then Toyd could stay in the 10-30 goal range on a permanent basis.
I say #getclokey.

azabob
31-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Ben Lennon seeking more opportunities.

Wouldn't mind enquiring here, think he's had a few injuries which has stifled his development but the talent is there. Uses the ball well and can kick a goal.

Doesn't fit our versatility mantra but he's a solid medium forward option.

I'd be very interested in Ben Lennon. Didn't he a season or two back hold out on signing a new contract or request to be traded?

I'm also surprised how often Connor Menadue is in and out of there team. I'd be interested in him also.

Webby
31-08-2016, 09:36 PM
I can't agree at all unfortunately. If we land Cloke you might have to cheer for him thinking he's cooked. :D

There have been plenty of footballers in red white and blue that I haven't rated over the years. I always cheer them on. No issues there. However I fear that Cloke would leave us all without any hair on our heads.

Cloke is THE WORST set shot for goal of any forward since records have been taken. Statistically, he makes Matthew Richardson look like a Deadeye Dick. In fact, his career accuracy is worse than even Joe Danniher (who surely can't get any worse!) it's below the conversion rate of any key forward you could mention. Check any key forward you can think of. I'll bet you Cloke is statistically proven to be the worst.

This, to me, is a big concern.. Granted, he can get it. However his kicking for goal is certain to cost games.

Having said all of the above, the bloke's clearly tried this year. His tackles per game were well up on previous years. The best they've been since 2010/11. That shows some character - which does not tend to get portrayed in the media. He's also handled the pressure with a fair bit of dignity.

However his contested marks per game were in 2016 literally half what they were in 2011.

Buyer beware. But if we do get him, I hope he plays like a man possessed!

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2016, 09:40 PM
I'd be very interested in Ben Lennon. Didn't he a season or two back hold out on signing a new contract or request to be traded?

I'm also surprised how often Connor Menadue is in and out of there team. I'd be interested in him also.

IIRC Lennon signed a two year contract late last year, after fielding interest from other clubs. They then dropped him from the Elimination Final which was a pretty odd decision at the time. He hasn't really fired a shot this season due to some injury/concussion concerns, and does have a question mark over his work rate/defensive game, but he was a top 10ish pick in 2013 so he's still young. Pity he's contracted.

I think they rate Menadue, but he's going to be a bit of a slow developer (physically). He'll be in their long term plans though.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2016, 09:44 PM
There have been plenty of footballers in red white and blue that I haven't rated over the years. I always cheer them on. No issues there. However I fear that Cloke would leave us all without any hair on our heads.

Cloke is THE WORST set shot for goal of any forward since records have been taken. Statistically, he makes Matthew Richardson look like a Deadeye Dick. In fact, his career accuracy is worse than even Joe Danniher (who surely can't get any worse!) it's below the conversion rate of any key forward you could mention. Check any key forward you can think of. I'll bet you Cloke is statistically proven to be the worst.

This, to me, is a big concern.. Granted, he can get it. However his kicking for goal is certain to cost games.

Having said all of the above, the bloke's clearly tried this year. His tackles per game were well up on previous years. The best they've been since 2010/11. That shows some character - which does not tend to get portrayed in the media. He's also handled the pressure with a fair bit of dignity.

However his contested marks per game were in 2016 literally half what they were in 2011.

Buyer beware. But if we do get him, I hope he plays like a man possessed!

Whilst I share many of your concerns, I think it's a cost vs risk vs reward type of scenario and I would be fairly confident in saying he would play CHF. It means I doubt we see Cloke having too many shots on goal, relatively speaking. We need a leading link up forward.

Cost (cheap, you would assume, in both salary and a draft pick) vs Risk (we get him cheap, he fails, it's not the end of the world) vs Reward (pretty high if he can get back to even 80% of his best/assist TBoyd/provide a leading long target).

Twodogs
31-08-2016, 10:44 PM
And his brothers play at Spotswood.

Webby
31-08-2016, 10:57 PM
And his brothers play at Spotswood.

Used to, anyway. Spotty have dropped off a bit in recent times. I believe at least one is at Greenvale in the Essendon league.

bornadog
31-08-2016, 11:12 PM

I am 50/50 getting him and share alot of your concerns.

soupman
01-09-2016, 08:52 AM
Is it worth looking at some of the GWS fringe players?

I was thinking specifically Paul Ahern. Pick 7 in the 2014 draft, he is still yet to play a game. Outside player with good skills and a bit of pace, could he come relatively cheaply like Jono O'Rourke did for Hawthorn?

bulldogtragic
01-09-2016, 12:07 PM
Nathan Brown (Collingwood) still hasn't signed on, and remains an active free agent. Could he be a Hurley replacement? Outside of Morris, he be our biggest and most experienced tall defender. He's shown capable of playing on the blokes that Roberts and others can match it with. Collingwood would also want the FA compo to get into the draft and/or father sons.

Free agents of any interest left are Brown (KPD), Vickery (2nd ruck/forward) & Harvey (mid/forward).

chef
01-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Not sure I ever want another Nathan Brown to play for us:p

bulldogtragic
01-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Cash Converters (delisted, cheap and has some argument no matter how weak), so far (not advocating them necessarily):

Boomer, Liam McBean, Jay Schultz, John Butcher, Jayden Foster

Doc26
01-09-2016, 12:19 PM
If two negatives do indeed make a positive then we might just have something with recruiting Cloke. His accuracy at goal is abysmal and our forward coaching is possibly worse than Cloke's conversion.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2016, 12:24 PM
Hawthorn have apparently thrown a very big offer at Vickery, so say NewsCorp. Looks more and more likely he's heading there.

With Minson cooked, we need another ruckman. So in terms of other cheap or free agent potential rucks, it's Zak Clarke (FA) & Liam McBean (DFA) in the market if the above report is true.

Happy Days
01-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Is it worth looking at some of the GWS fringe players?

I was thinking specifically Paul Ahern. Pick 7 in the 2014 draft, he is still yet to play a game. Outside player with good skills and a bit of pace, could he come relatively cheaply like Jono O'Rourke did for Hawthorn?

He's yet to play a game because his ACLs are made of ramen noodles. No unless he comes astoundingly cheap.

azabob
01-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Isn't Vickery already signed locked and loaded with Hawthorn?

Hawthorn have apparently thrown a very big offer at Vickery, so say NewsCorp. Looks more and more likely he's heading there.

With Minson cooked, we need another ruckman. So in terms of other cheap or free agent potential rucks, it's Zak Clarke (FA) & Liam McBean (DFA) in the market if the above report is true.

So you take their word but not mine?!?

bulldogtragic
01-09-2016, 01:43 PM
So you take their word but not mine?!?

Never, did I miss your post? Does anyone takes NewsCorp at their word?

EasternWest
01-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Never, did I miss your post? Does anyone takes NewsCorp at their word?

Unfortunately, yes.

bornadog
01-09-2016, 06:16 PM
Caleb Marchbanks has requested a trade.

Surely we are interested:

Story here

GWS defender Caleb Marchbank requests trade (http://www.3aw.com.au/news/gws-defender-caleb-marchbank-requests-trade-20160901-gr6ncb.html)

Axe Man
01-09-2016, 06:37 PM
Caleb Marchbanks has requested a trade.

Surely we are interested:

Story here

GWS defender Caleb Marchbank requests trade (http://www.3aw.com.au/news/gws-defender-caleb-marchbank-requests-trade-20160901-gr6ncb.html)

The GWS Rejects, AKA Carlton, are the front runners here.

Hard to say what he's worth. Pick 6 from only 2 years ago but with a few injury issues both pre and post being drafted. Our first would be too much but not sure if our second pick would be enough?

bulldogtragic
01-09-2016, 06:59 PM

Hard to say what he's worth. Pick 6 from only 2 years ago but with a few injury issues both pre and post being drafted. Our first would be too much but not sure if our second pick would be enough?

Try to use Stevens or Jong somehow and done way to get one of GCS 3 or 4 picks in the low-mid 20's. That should do it.

Throughandthrough
01-09-2016, 07:41 PM
What about Nicholls, the Gold Coast ruckman, he may be looking for greener pastures?

bulldogtragic
01-09-2016, 07:43 PM
What about Nicholls, the Gold Coast ruckman, he may be looking for greener pastures?

I hope he finds them a long way away from Whitten Oval. If Jarrad Grant was 5cm taller, they'd be the same player except at least Grant has a few tricks.

Remi Moses
01-09-2016, 08:52 PM

Surely we're looking at Marchbank

Axe Man
01-09-2016, 09:54 PM

I posted an article a couple of pages back that said he is expected to re-sign with the Suns.

GVGjr
01-09-2016, 10:03 PM

Carlton are into Tomlinson. I don't think they have the room for both

1eyedog
02-09-2016, 10:51 AM
Paul Stewart and Jack Steele are also potentially looking for new opportunities.
WHE is uncontracted and unable to break into the 22.

Axe Man
02-09-2016, 11:01 AM
GWS youngsters Caleb Marchbank, Adam Tomlinson, Jack Steele likely to leave in trade period (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/gws-youngsters-caleb-marchbank-adam-tomlinson-jack-steele-likely-to-leave-in-trade-period/news-story/0e90129ac5006fb222dfde62f70f8e84)

VICTORIAN clubs are queuing up to poach talented Greater Western Sydney youngsters with as many as six high draft picks set to find new homes in October.

Caleb Marchbank formally requested a trade today, with Carlton the early favourite to snare the key defender.

Utility Adam Tomlinson and impressive midfielder Jack Steele are also strong chances to find new homes, while the futures of Will Hoskin-Elliott and James Stewart are unclear.

Homesick full-forward Cam McCarthy walked out on the Giants before the start of the season and will again seek a trade to Fremantle.

On Thursday night Collingwood emerged as a possible suitor for Tomlinson and the Magpies have already been linked to contracted playmaker Hoskin-Elliott.

The Pies traded in star Adam Treloar from the Giants last year and have since lured their football boss Gubby Allan.

St Kilda heads a long list of clubs hoping to land Canberra product Steele.

The Blues were keen to draft Marchbank in 2014 and long believed he would be available at their first selection, No. 19.

It was expected the Giants would take big man Hugh Goddard at No.6.

But when GWS instead opted for Marchbank, the Blues reached for Blaine Boekhorst and have since tracked Marchbank’s development closely.

The Giants wanted to re-sign Marchbank and recently made a formal presentation outlining why he should stay.

Former GWS list manager Stephen Silvagni crossed to Carlton last year and imported four Giants in one bumper trade deal.

Silvagni then worked feverishly to also add the contracted Tomlinson before deadline.

Carlton coach Brendon Bolton said after last week’s loss to Essendon the Blues would again act aggressively in player movement.

Bolton said the Blues wanted to build depth in every position and did not rule out trading its prized No. 5 draft pick.

Tomlinson, 23, has played 65 games in five years since he was taken at No. 9 in the 2011 draft.

The powerful 193cm runner collected 96 disposals in a fortnight in the reserves mid-season.

He has played every game since Round 16 and is set to feature in the Giants’ inaugural finals campaign.

Steele was taken as an academy selection and has played 17 matches in two seasons.

Foundation Giant Hoskin-Elliott has played 52 games has featured just twice this season.

The No. 4 draft pick is contracted until the end of 2017 but purchased a Yarraville property at the start of the year.

The Giants already hold three first-round selections and will again be flush for draft points as they prepare to induct another star-studded batch of academy talent.

They will secure Harry Perryman, Will Setterfield and Harrison Macreadie at a discounted rate in November’s draft.

Greystache
02-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Paul Stewart and Jack Steele are also potentially looking for new opportunities.

WHE is contracted until 2017. Can't crack a game and has only played a handful of decent games in his career however.

I'd only consider him as a delisted free agent assuming GWS can't get a trade for him and delist him next season.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-09-2016, 11:53 AM
WHE is contracted until 2017. Can't crack a game and has only played a handful of decent games in his career however.

I'd only consider him as a delisted free agent assuming GWS can't get a trade for him and delist him next season.

Is WHE the most overrated player in the competition by fans?

He's played about 4 good games and yet fans (and some of the media) speak about him as being this special, dynamic player. As you said Grey, delisted free agent? Maybe. Trading him in? Pass.

Steele doesn't really excite me, Tomlinson I wouldn't mind (but he's not a KPP), Marchbank will cost too much.

Throughandthrough
02-09-2016, 12:26 PM

Paul Stewart isn't an AFL standard player. Good at state league level.

Axe Man
02-09-2016, 12:49 PM

Paul Stewart isn't an AFL standard player. Good at state league level.

Are we talking about Paul Stewart from Port or James Stewart from GWS here?

Coincidentally someone has had a little bit of fun with Paul Stewart's Wiki page (typos and all):

Stewart's was born with a twin brother Rod, a notorious solo rock/pop performer with an unrivalled blonde mullet. He is most notably recogniser for his 1978 hit "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" and for teaching his brother Paul to kick drop punts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Stewart_(Australian_footballer)

bulldogtragic
02-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Just throwing this out there. Trade Fletcher Roberts to whomever, for whatever, and use that spot to offer Collingwood's Nathan Brown as a free agent. Maybe even include him in the Cloke trade?

He's got about 10kg extra on Roberts as well as 130 games experience as a full back. With 4 or 5 years of footy still, he could provide an upgrade of like-for-like players and cover the transitional period of Morris retiring, the development of Cordy, Adams & Hamling and having cover for injuries & allow time for Collins to come on.

If it's a good enough offer they get pick 26 which puts them in a good spot for their father/sons.

Greystache
02-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Just throwing this out there. Trade Fletcher Roberts to whomever, for whatever, and use that spot to offer Collingwood's Nathan Brown as a free agent. Maybe even include him in the Cloke trade?

He's got about 10kg extra on Roberts as well as 130 games experience as a full back. With 4 or 5 years of footy still, he could provide an upgrade of like-for-like players and cover the transitional period of Morris retiring, the development of Cordy, Adams & Hamling and having cover for injuries & allow time for Collins to come on.

If it's a good enough offer they get pick 26 which puts them in a good spot for their father/sons.

I'm not excited by Brown (either of them) slow, injury prone, and overall just a bit shit. Roberts is no star but I'm not convinced Brown is an upgrade.

whythelongface
02-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Coincidentally someone has had a little bit of fun with Paul Stewart's Wiki page (typos and all):

That is gold. Who says that Wikipedia isn't the source of all knowledge. Probably more accurate than any Newscorp publication.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2016, 01:21 PM
I'm not excited by Brown (either of them) slow, injury prone, and overall just a bit shit. Roberts is no star but I'm not convinced Brown is an upgrade.

I'm confused, slow, injury prone & just a bit shit. Are you describing Roberts or Brown? :D

Axe Man
02-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Three clubs head race for Giant Caleb Marchbank (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-02/three-clubs-head-race-for-giant-caleb-marchbank)

IT APPEARS a race in three for Caleb Marchbank, with Carlton, St Kilda and Essendon circling the wantaway Greater Western Sydney defender

Although other Victorian clubs could now seek to throw their hats in the ring for the defender's services – potentially clubs like the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood, who both made strong but unsuccessful bids for Essendon backman Michael Hurley – it is likely they have left their runs too late.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Three clubs head race for Giant Caleb Marchbank (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-02/three-clubs-head-race-for-giant-caleb-marchbank)

IT APPEARS a race in three for Caleb Marchbank, with Carlton, St Kilda and Essendon circling the wantaway Greater Western Sydney defender

Although other Victorian clubs could now seek to throw their hats in the ring for the defender's services – potentially clubs like the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood, who both made strong but unsuccessful bids for Essendon backman Michael Hurley – it is likely they have left their runs too late.

I hate when I have the runs late.

As much as I hate to say it, if St Kilda land him, Carlisle, Goddard & Marchbank give them good height and potential in defence.

Sedat
02-09-2016, 02:00 PM
I hate when I have the runs late.

As much as I hate to say it, if St Kilda land him, Carlisle, Goddard & Marchbank give them good height and potential in defence.
Essendon are getting thrown into every single out of contract player simply because they have PSD pick 1 - I would imagine signing all of their dopers up to inflated contracts will leave them with precious little salary cap room to move in the next 5 years, so you can discount them as being serious players for O'Meara, Marchbank, etc..

bulldogtragic
02-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Essendon are getting thrown into every single out of contract player simply because they have PSD pick 1 - I would imagine signing all of their dopers up to inflated contracts will leave them with precious little salary cap room to move in the next 5 years, so you can discount them as being serious players for O'Meara, Marchbank, etc..

True. If I were their CEO and probably knew I was $4,000,000 over the cap, I'd be thinking what's the harm in going to $6,000,000 over the cap.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-09-2016, 03:42 PM
I know what you mean, but I think Brown is at least a solid key defender in that he doesn't get 'smashed' too regularly. Purely a negating defender though.

Actually think Brown would fit OK into our set-up. He's suited to the slow, wrestling gorillas - currently our biggest issue in defense. We have strong mobile/athletic defenders in Adams, Morris, Hamling and Cordy but none of them are suited to taking on the likes of Hawkins, Tippett and to lesser degrees Lynch/Patton.

If he comes for free, we could do worse.

1eyedog
02-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Are we talking about Paul Stewart from Port or James Stewart from GWS here?

Sorry, James.

Twodogs
02-09-2016, 04:33 PM

The other coincidence is there is a Melbourne muso called Paul Stewart, he's the singer in Painters and Dockers. And Paulie is a bulldogs supporter.

Not to mention the fact that Rod Stewart had a try out to be a professional footballer.

Axe Man
02-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Michelangelo Rucci reporting this:

The Advertiser understands Hartlett is the key to an emerging three-club deal with Richmond and Gold Coast that allows Suns midfielder Dion Prestia to join the Tigers, Hartlett to move to Gold Coast and Port Adelaide to get draft pick No. 6.

The Advertiser understand Hartlett would prefer to join a Melbourne-based club.

Port make out like bandits if they get pick 6 for Hamish Hartlett! Surely they would have to throw something else into the deal.

Power vice-captain Hamish Hartlett stand back as offers build for his new AFL home (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/port-adelaide/power-vicecaptain-hamish-hartlett-stand-back-as-offers-build-for-his-new-afl-home/news-story/a3f99a8786a422fb9cc898784c2906e6)

bulldogtragic
02-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Thanks Axe Man, loving your quick player updates!!

Happy Days
02-09-2016, 06:37 PM
I'd like to make a play at Hartlett.

He kind of seems like a headcase, and he fades out of games badly, but he can seriously use the footy.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2016, 12:00 PM
afl.com.au predicts this ruck movement: (brackets are my comments from the longer article on them):

Tom Nicholls (Gold Coast) – stay (you beauty!!)
Jarrod Witts (Collingwood) – go (Brisbane linked to him)
Toby Nankervis (Sydney Swans) – wait and see
Will Minson (Western Bulldogs) – go (retired)
Tom Campbell (Western Bulldogs) - wait and see
Nathan Vardy (Geelong) – go (reports are Dogs & GWS)
Rory Lobb (GWS) – wait and see
Tom Downie (GWS) - wait and see
Zac Clarke (Fremantle) – wait and see
Tyrone Vickery (Richmond) – go (reports are Hawthorn)

Twodogs
04-09-2016, 05:53 PM
afl.com.au predicts this ruck movement: (brackets are my comments from the longer article on them):

They said on SEN or 774 today that Zac Clarke is more likely to return to Victoria than to stay on at Freo.

bornadog
04-09-2016, 06:39 PM
They said on SEN or 774 today that Zac Clarke is more likely to return to Victoria than to stay on at Freo.

I don't mind Zac Clarke.

LostDoggy
04-09-2016, 10:20 PM

Could do worse as long as he's not too expensive. No star but can go forward and is mobile enough to fit into Bevo's plans.

Remi Moses
05-09-2016, 02:10 AM
Good lord he is hopeless . If he was a foot shorter he'd have been delisted by now

chef
05-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Yeah, i dont see Clarke being able to play 'Bevo Football'. Just doesnt have a hard enough edge to his game.

Not sure an experienced ruck is what we'll chase either, we have Campbell, Roughead and Boyd (he's going to be a ruck/forward not a KPF) so i think we'll be after a younger developing type.

LostDoggy
05-09-2016, 09:01 AM
Yeah, i dont see Clarke being able to play 'Bevo Football'. Just doesnt have a hard enough edge to his game.

Not sure an experienced ruck is what we'll chase either, we have Campbell, Roughead and Boyd (he's going to be a ruck/forward not a KPF) so i think we'll be after a younger developing type.
From our 2016 Ruck stocks, we've lost our project Ruck (Goetz), seem likely to lose our most experienced Ruck (Minson) and are yet to re-sign Campbell. Given all of our Rucks have had a history of injury issues, I'd reckon our list managers will be very keen for the best available experienced Ruck (by all accounts they tried hard last year - Martin, Kreuzer, Lobbe) as well as a project Ruck if the right prospect is identified.

Happy Days
05-09-2016, 01:42 PM
Zero Hanger on FB (usually a very good source) claiming that Riewoldt is open to leaving the Tigers.

We'd have to be in contact with him surely? Obviously a better fit (by way of being way better) than Cloke.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Zero Hanger on FB (usually a very good source) claiming that Riewoldt is open to leaving the Tigers.

We'd have to be in contact with him surely? Obviously a better fit (by way of being way better) than Cloke.

This makes no sense to me.

Trading Riewoldt would tear that club apart, invoke member outrage, screw their forward half completely (plus they are losing Vickery) and is a back flip on what the club thinks it's going to do next season (make finals).

Jack's not exactly "old" - I don't see how Richmond win out of trading him, unless he demanded to leave, which seems 1/10000 chance. As much as I would love Riewoldt, I don't see it being any possibility whatsoever.

Happy Days
05-09-2016, 02:19 PM

Trading Riewoldt would tear that club apart, invoke member outrage, screw their forward half completely (plus they are losing Vickery) and is a back flip on what the club thinks it's going to do next season (make finals).

Jack's not exactly "old" - I don't see how Richmond win out of trading him, unless he demanded to leave, which seems 1/10000 chance. As much as I would love Riewoldt, I don't see it being any possibility whatsoever.

I feel ya, but I'm thinking this is another one that can be chalked up to "because Richmond lol".

Him and Deleido are apparently disenfranchised by the game plan, and Hardwick is safe regardless of this dick-swinging board nonsense. We'd be fools not to get in his ear.

1eyedog
05-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Riewoldt came out the next day after the allegations and stated emphatically that the talk of him leaving is nonsense and there was no way he was leaving the Tigers.

I can't see this happening.

Mofra
05-09-2016, 04:45 PM
He had one excellent year (2012?) when Sandi was out.
Not sure if he'd get anywhere near that again.

Mofra
05-09-2016, 04:46 PM
An aside - Nankervis is rumoured to be open to a move (from a Swans fan who normally has good info).
No idea if we've asked about him or interested but... we should ask about him.

Axe Man
05-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Would we be interested in Green at the right price? We lack a crumbing, goal kicking small forward, with most of our smalls more midfield types.

Lions small forward open to trade (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-05/lions-small-forward-josh-green-open-to-trade)

BRISBANE Lions small forward Josh Green is understood to be open to a trade as he ponders a fresh start to revitalise his AFL career.

The talented 24-year-old battled for goalscoring opportunities in 2016 as the club blooded inexperienced key forwards and struggled to move the ball inside 50.

He had a delayed pre-season due to a foot injury and never found the continuity that had defined his previous three seasons.

He kicked just 11 goals in 10 games after kicking 82 goals in 53 games between 2013 and 2015. In 2014 he was the club's leading goalkicker with 33 goals.

The Lions will be looking to give their list a new dynamic in 2017 with a new coach and a new senior football manager.

They are making an application for a priority pick with AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan saying they had a legitimate claim for a pick this season. The AFL Commission will make that call in a meeting on the Monday of Grand Final week.

The club has pick 2 and pick 20 at this stage, as well as St Kilda's second round pick and has many players locked in on long-term contracts.

They do not have a top-end crop of Academy Graduates this season with Jacob Allison a chance to join the club late in the draft.

The small forward role is one area where the Lions had a surplus of players with Lewis Taylor and Dayne Zorko performing well in that position.

Green, who hails from Tasmania, should attract interest from clubs looking for a smart, small forward, given his age and his proven goalkicking prowess.

He was selection No.32 in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft.

ratsmac
06-09-2016, 08:41 PM

I would like us to find the next Shane Mumford. A ruckman who is playing second fiddle, toiling away in the twos that just isn't getting a chance. Is it Clarke? Is it Nankervis? But in saying that I don't want us to get someone just because they are available at the time when it's not really what we were after.

The ruck is an area that we need to address this trade /draft period. Camhead was OK early this year but slowly faded until Campbell secretly got injured. Maybe injury is why they faded but still a durable ruckman is high on my wish list.

Twodogs
06-09-2016, 09:14 PM
I feel ya, but I'm thinking this is another one that can be chalked up to "because Richmond lol".

Him and Deleido are apparently disenfranchised by the game plan, and Hardwick is safe regardless of this dick-swinging board nonsense. We'd be fools not to get in his ear.

I'd love to get Deledio for a couple of years. A player who finds targets in his sleep and is set in his ways so we are zero chance of coaching him out if it. Second rounder.

Jack would be great too. Although if he gets frustrated with Richmonds gameplan, I don't know the delivery is that much better with us. Although a forward demanding the ball be delivered to him and running to space might improve their delivery. Expensive trade wise though.

He had one excellent year (2012?) when Sandi was out.
Not sure if he'd get anywhere near that again.

Nah. One and done I reckon. Big guys don't have break out years then go backwards then come good again. They have one good year then eke out another 7 years and 2 clubs from it.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2016, 09:22 PM
Nankervis is listed as 199cm & 106kg. 11 career games, 3 career goals. This is his bio on the swans website (not overly flattering):

Jumped in front of Tom Derickx and the injury-prone Sam Naismith to become the club’s third ruck option last season and showed in five senior appearances that he’s one to watch for the future. Not overly mobile but hard working, Nankervis will find senior games tough to come by this year, but forms part of a strong group of big men giving the Swans depth in their ruck stocks. Dominated at NEAFL level and another season working alongside Kurt Tippett will be of great benefit.

Draft history: 2013 NAB AFL Draft 2nd round selection (Sydney Swans) No. 35 overall

Dancin' Douggy
06-09-2016, 09:29 PM

Who on gods earth would not want to leave Richmond. If scientists want to study black holes, they just need to focus their telescopes on Punt road.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2016, 08:56 PM
Updated Free Agents:

Daniel Wells
Nathan Brown
Ty Vickery
Zak Clarke
Ricky Henderson
Jarryd Blair
Jack Grimes
Courtney Dempsey
Clansee Pearce
North Four

bulldogtragic
12-09-2016, 11:30 PM
Oh, golly gosh & darn... Nicholls re-signed at Gold Coast:

GOLD Coast has locked away ruckman Tom Nicholls for a further two years.

After weighing up his options for the past few months, the 24-year-old has agreed to stay with the Suns until at least the end of 2018.

It's great news for Gold Coast after midfielders Dion Prestia and Jaeger O'Meara both recently requested to be traded.

The finishing touches on the Nicholls deal are expected to be inked when he returns from a holiday to the United States later this month.

Just like his All Australian teammate Tom Lynch, Nicholls will become a free agent at the end of the new contract.

The 203cm ruckman had a mixed season, being dropped, then rediscovering some good form before being cut short by a PCL injury with three rounds to go.

Nicholls bravely played out the entire second half against Greater Western Sydney in round 20 despite carrying the injury.

He has played 45 games in his six seasons at the Suns, including 15 in each of the past two seasons.

GVGjr
12-09-2016, 11:33 PM
A couple of players worth keeping an eye on for a short term fix with our back line could be Garland and Dunn from Melbourne.
They won't be popular because of their ages but I think they could be worth considering.

Twodogs
13-09-2016, 12:40 AM
Oh, golly gosh & darn... Nicholls re-signed at Gold Coast:

GOLD Coast has locked away ruckman Tom Nicholls for a further two years.

After weighing up his options for the past few months, the 24-year-old has agreed to stay with the Suns until at least the end of 2018.

It's great news for Gold Coast after midfielders Dion Prestia and Jaeger O'Meara both recently requested to be traded.

The finishing touches on the Nicholls deal are expected to be inked when he returns from a holiday to the United States later this month.

That's probably best for all concerned. Better than letting him actually play.

Mantis
13-09-2016, 09:57 AM
A couple of players worth keeping an eye on for a short term fix with our back line could be Garland and Dunn from Melbourne.
They won't be popular because of their ages but I think they could be worth considering.

Is our backline really in need of a fix?.. Getting Adams & Murphy back next year and another pre-season into Collins will definitely help shore it up.

Think we should also expect further development from Hamling, Cordy & R.Smith.

bornadog
13-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Is our backline really in need of a fix?.. Getting Adams & Murphy back next year and another pre-season into Collins will definitely help shore it up.

and Williams

The Doctor
13-09-2016, 12:24 PM

God no!

The Doctor
13-09-2016, 12:26 PM
A lot of talk on the radio this morning that O'Meara, Mitchell and Vickery will be at the Hawks next year.

Should we join the hunt for O'Meara? For our 1st round pick we would have to consider it. I don't buy that he's worth 2 1st rounders btw.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2016, 12:56 PM
A lot of talk on the radio this morning that O'Meara, Mitchell and Vickery will be at the Hawks next year.

Should we join the hunt for O'Meara? For our 1st round pick we would have to consider it. I don't buy that he's worth 2 1st rounders btw.

O'Meara for our first and a player they want, in Jong, who is a lesser talented but decent replacement. That'd be a decent offer. That'd be all our spare salary cap though I'd guess.

Alternatively, Hawks need an extra first rounder or two. Is there anyone we want who'd they'd give up?

Ozza
13-09-2016, 12:59 PM

Sorry, but I think they won't be popular because neither can play. Garland is seriously awful - and Dunn was struggling to get a game this season.

I really can't see how a case can be made for either.

Axe Man
13-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Jaeger O'Meara has nominated the Hawks as his destination club of choice.

comrade
13-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Equalisation working beautifully.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Equalisation working beautifully.

And Vickery probably signed too...

bulldogtragic
13-09-2016, 01:58 PM
I suppose it's better than Essendon getting him for free in the psd. But that's it...

The Bulldogs Bite
13-09-2016, 02:01 PM
That's real annoying.

Remi Moses
13-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Equalisation working wonderfully again

1eyedog
13-09-2016, 02:48 PM
They lose Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne and Lewis in the next two years. They'll need him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-09-2016, 03:01 PM
They lose Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne and Lewis in the next two years. They'll need him.

Yep. I'm guessing O'Meara & Mitchell would have to accept almost a base contract next year, but would benefit financially once the above start to retire and the Hawks end up with significant cap space.
Where do they get the picks from to secure both Mitchell from the Swans and O'Meara from Gold Coast? I doubt whether their existing first round would be enough for either of those guys, and moving Hill to Freo isn't going to result in more than either a late 1st or a early second rounder at best?

bulldogtragic
13-09-2016, 03:04 PM
Yep. I'm guessing O'Meara & Mitchell would have to accept almost a base contract next year, but would benefit financially once the above start to retire and the Hawks end up with significant cap space.
Where do they get the picks from to secure both Mitchell from the Swans and O'Meara from Gold Coast?

They'll have pick 14 when we beat them. Probably 21 for Brad Hill (Freo). They may need to trade something of value out additionally. I'd enquire with who that might be. JO wants $800,000, Vickery rumour is $350,000 & Mitchell maybe the same. I'm not sure where those savings are??

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-09-2016, 03:23 PM
They'll have pick 14 when we beat them. Probably 21 for Brad Hill (Freo). They may need to trade something of value out additionally. I'd enquire with who that might be. JO wants $800,000, Vickery rumour is $350,000 & Mitchell maybe the same. I'm not sure where those savings are??

I'd imagine the savings are that in order to get to the Hawks they'll need to take reduced first year of contract $'s so Hawks can fit in the cap in 2017, but that their contract will balloon in 2018 and 19 when Hawks shed Hodge, Burgoyne, Sam Mitchell, Gibson and maybe Lewis.

Bulldog4life
13-09-2016, 03:29 PM

I have a feeling Mitchell is on quite a bit more than $350,000 at the Swans.

Ozza
13-09-2016, 04:16 PM

Yep - Mitchell will be half a Mil.

I guess they lost Franklin which freed up a stack.

Greystache
13-09-2016, 04:23 PM

$600K.

It got out when Carlton tried to poach him from Sydney's reserves only to find out he'd be one of their highest paid players and they couldn't afford him. I don't doubt Sydney and the AFEL were pretty embarrassed that the public found out Sydney were paying a fringe player $600 large soon after winning a premiership and recruiting 2 $1 million players, considering they'd been claiming they were able to keep their list together because their players were willing to take unders to be at the club.

Hence Mitchell was always going to have to go so they can pretend players are being squeezed out to keep Sydney under the salary cap.

Twodogs
13-09-2016, 04:36 PM
's sake! 600k? That's just. 600k? Really? The real problem in this is I have no trouble at all believing he is getting 600k to run around in the NEAFL, or was, and is now getting it to run around in the AFL.

Still. Give Sydney their COLA, sorry due, give them their due. They manage to keep all those highly payed star players under their salary cap. Somehow.

I dunno why I said COLA just then, I must have been thinking about some other salary cap cheats.

hujsh
13-09-2016, 04:39 PM
$600K.

It got out when Carlton tried to poach him from Sydney's reserves only to find out he'd be one of their highest paid players and they couldn't afford him. I don't doubt Sydney and the AFEL were pretty embarrassed that the public found out Sydney were paying a fringe player $600 large soon after winning a premiership and recruiting 2 $1 million players, considering they'd been claiming they were able to keep their list together because their players were willing to take unders to be at the club.

Hence Mitchell was always going to have to go so they can pretend players are being squeezed out to keep Sydney under the salary cap.

I feel like you've told that story about another player (Sam Reid?). Carlton surprise and everything.

Greystache
13-09-2016, 04:41 PM
I feel like you've told that story about another player (Sam Reid?). Carlton surprise and everything.

It was about Mitchell, you know, the guy we're talking about now.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Channel 10 just reported they expect Hawthorn to do a Geelong style 2015 post season stock up (ie trade with next year's picks to stock up) with Jaeger, Eric McKenzie, Tom Mitchell & Ty Vickery (FA).

GVGjr
13-09-2016, 07:21 PM

Given we missed on Hurley I think we need to look at some depth at the KP.
6 weeks ago some had written off Hamling and a lot of people think Roberts has too many limitations so I still think there are some questions about or KP depth.

hujsh
13-09-2016, 07:58 PM
It was about Mitchell, you know, the guy we're talking about now.

Correction, it was both :)

Given they're paying fringe types like Reid and Mitchell $600K per season, that means they can pretty much poach any player in the league to replace someone on their list :rolleyes:

Kieran Jack is probably getting $1.5mil a season, and Hanneberry $2mil. So no one is off limits.

Greystache
13-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Correction, it was both :)

Reid doesn't have anything to do with Carlton. His contract was openly reported.

Sam yesterday signed a multimillion-dollar, five-year extension, which contracts him to the club until the end of the 2017 season.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/swans-lock-in-reid-for-five-20111216-1oys3.html

The figure spoken about was $3mil over 5 years which was justified by him being the backbone of their team for next decade. He's was then 2 years later upgraded upon by Tippett then Franklin.

Mitchell's massive contract was a secret till Carlton leaked it to the public when they were outraged they couldn't afford him despite him playing NEAFL.

anfo27
13-09-2016, 10:15 PM

They lost Lake, Hale & Suckling last year and chased Carlisle at trade time and ended up with nothing. Hodge, Mitchell, Gibson & Burgoyne have all signed on and reportedly have all taken haircuts. They would have plenty of space in their cap and then you add the increase in the cap next year on top of that.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2016, 08:14 PM
Various news agencies, and now the pre game show through Stevo suggesting Deledio is gettable. One news outlet suggested Geelong are into him, by way of a direct player trade or getting a pick through a player trade with another club. Motlop has obviously been the most high profile Geelong player mentioned to get them a highish pick or different type of player.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 11:37 PM
An article today failed to mention us as interested parties in Nathan Vardy, they mentioned GWS & Port Adelaide.

Not unhappy. If Minson is to retire it will be interesting to see which ruck we are interested in. Unfortunately Petrie is off to West Coast...

Mofra
29-09-2016, 11:50 AM
An article today failed to mention us as interested parties in Nathan Vardy, they mentioned GWS & Port Adelaide.

Not unhappy. If Minson is to retire it will be interesting to see which ruck we are interested in. Unfortunately Petrie is off to West Coast...
Good. I'd rather us take a mature state leaguer (a la Campbell) than trade in Vardy, who is talented but super injury prone.

Unless of course by some miracle we happen to take Tim English in the first round

bornadog
04-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Available from Freo after delisting:

Matt de Boer, Tendai Mzungu, Clancee Pearce, and Jack Hannath

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 06:48 PM
JMac said today we have interest in only a couple of players for trading/recruiting in. Any ideas on names?

chef
04-10-2016, 06:49 PM
JMac said today we have interest in only a couple of players for trading/recruiting in. Any ideas on names?

Cloke:p

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Cloke:p

Outside of Cloke he said. I should've mentioned that! :D

The Doctor
04-10-2016, 06:58 PM
he has mentioned we want another CHF, outside of Cloke.

I took this as meaning we would draft a young CHF if we can. And so we should!

Bulldog Joe
04-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Really don't want to see us bringing players from other clubs. I do accept that Cloke looks good value and the spot is there because of the Redpath injury.

What we have is a great list that has won a flag with Suckling, Murphy, Wallis, Crameri, Adams arguably best 22 options already.

We then have Webb, Bailey Williams, Bailey Dale plus Roarke Smith and Brad Lynch looking likely.

Prefer to keep sending Dalrymple to the draft to build on his record.

comrade
04-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Really don't want to see us bringing players from other clubs. I do accept that Cloke looks good value and the spot is there because of the Redpath injury.

What we have is a great list that has won a flag with Suckling, Murphy, Wallis, Crameri, Adams arguably best 22 options already.

We then have Webb, Bailey Williams, Bailey Dale plus Roarke Smith and Brad Lynch looking likely.

Unless there is an out and out star that wants to come to us, I agree that hitting the draft is the way to go.

Would love to give Dalrymple a few more picks in the 20s to work with. He has a great track record in that range.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Unless there is an out and out star that wants to come to us, I agree that hitting the draft is the way to go.

Would love to give Dalrymple a few more picks in the 20s to work with. He has a great track record in that range.

Well we have pick 18. Hopefully Stevens & Hrovat/Jong can get second rounders, or some upgrading. Three picks from 18-30 is plenty enough for him to nail. It certainly doesn't sound like we are going to be big traders now, despite Gordo's comments earlier in the year.

anfo27
04-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Well we have pick 18. Hopefully Stevens & Hrovat/Jong can get second rounders, or some upgrading. Three picks from 18-30 is plenty enough for him to nail. It certainly doesn't sound like we are going to be big traders now, despite Gordo's comments earlier in the year.

Surely the money is there though BT. We chased Hurley and we would have been offering him around $750k. I don't think because we win the flag we sit on our hands come trade time. I'm hoping we do something that makes other supporters curse us. if there are players out there that would walk into our best 22 then thats who we should be chasing.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Surely the money is there though BT. We chased Hurley and we would have been offering him around $750k. I don't think because we win the flag we sit on our hands come trade time. I'm hoping we do something that makes other supporters curse us. if there are players out there that would walk into our best 22 then thats who we should be chasing.

Agreed. My ideal scenario is Koby getting us about what we paid, a late second rounder and another player upgrading that to GCS for 21 or 22 (late second round to early second round). So say 18, 21, 36, 59, 71 & 72.

Give Collingwood both 4th rounders (71 & 72) for Cloke. They just need him gone, it's a win/win. Both move into the rest of our strategies.
Give Dalrymple 21, 36 & 59. That's plenty enough for him.
Hold out pick 18 for a potential player. If one emerges great, as you say there's cap space. If not, Dalrymple gets it.

What Hawthorn did so very well to have sustained success was trading their high later picks. Burgoyne, Gibson, Gunston, Lake, McEvoy & O'Rourke (as well as later role players like Hale). If we can turn two players into a pick around 21, then I'd like to see what pick 18 could net us during the trade window. Surely there's another Brisbane exodus with someone we could like. A back up plan of 18 & 21 with Dalrymple is a wonderful back up plan.

G-Mo77
04-10-2016, 09:58 PM

And listening to JMac it sounds they'll bring Cloke in and that will be about it. They'll accommodate players who want better opportunity elsewhere so I'd expect Dalrymple will have some nice picks to play with after that.

ledge
05-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Don't change the list just for the sake of changing .. We have an extremely good list .. They are young and will only get better .. If players want to leave that's fine we are in a position where we will get overs for them.
Cloke and Crameri will fill the only void we actually have.( help out Stringer )
I'm not sure we have another weak position we need to fill.
Our list seems to cover all positions on the ground .

hujsh
05-10-2016, 10:54 AM
We need another ruckman as depth whether it be a developing prospect or mature pickup from another club (AFL or state league)

We also need a forward developing at Footscray. Preferably at least 1 tall and 1 small. This can be achieved though the draft but if the right trade comes up lets take it.

Sedat
05-10-2016, 11:47 AM
How enjoyable has it been this year to cast a passing glance at trade week and not be obsessed by it?

MrMahatma
05-10-2016, 03:34 PM
Will we offload Wilbur?

comrade
06-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Sound like Port were pushing Hartlett out the door to relieve salary cap pressure but he's decided to stay put.

Might be others that get squeezed out now. Hope JMac is on the phone to Trengove's manager. Would fit our system nicely.

The Adelaide Connection
06-10-2016, 04:41 PM
If GC want Jong do we consider pick pocketing either Prestia or Omaera from the Hawks? Perhaps Jong + pick 18 gets one of them?

Not sure we need either (although both are quality), but I do really like the idea of screwing the Hawks over.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Jack Steele requesting St Kilda
Dion Prestia requesting Richmond
Jaeger O'Meara requesting Hawthorn
Caleb Marchbank requesting Carlton
Hayden Ballantyne requesting West Coast

comrade
08-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Travis Cloke requesting Western Bulldogs

bulldogtragic
08-10-2016, 01:42 PM

Oh yeah, dur.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2016, 01:43 PM
Jack Steele requesting St Kilda
Dion Prestia requesting Richmond
Jaeger O'Meara requesting Hawthorn
Caleb Marchbank requesting Carlton
Hayden Ballantyne requesting West Coast

Hawthorn requesting Ty Vickery

Twodogs
09-10-2016, 03:05 PM
It's weird that dance Ty Vickery and Hawthorn are having. Each of them are like gorky teens trying to build up the confidence to ask a girl out. I saw Vickery on TV saying that he needed a change then what a great club Hawthorn appear to be. He did everything but look at the camera, wink and tap the side of his nose with his forefinger.

And Hawthorn on the radio talking about how tall forward's who could take a turn in the ruck were next year's must have accessesory and what a fine figure of a man Ty Vickery cuts being and funnily enough he's a tall forward and, bugger me dead, doesn't he also take a turn in the ruck. Yes he does but I've watched him tall forwarding and taking a turn in the ruck and all I see is a long, thin streak of pelican shit. Just don't see the attraction.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Bryce Gibbs requesting a trade.

comrade
10-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Bryce Gibbs requesting a trade.

With Hrovat rumoured to be on the way to Carlton, I wonder if there is anyway we can snag the pick they may get from Adelaide (pick 13 for example) by packaging up our first and second?

Hrovat + 18 & 38 for 13 and 24.

Do we make out like bandits?

bornadog
10-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Tom Mitchell want to go to the Hawks

Axe Man
10-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Geelong going all out - Deledio and Tuohy wanting to get to Kardinia Park.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2016, 05:40 PM
Geelong going all out - Deledio and Tuohy wanting to get to Kardinia Park.

What are Geelong going to give up?

Ozza
10-10-2016, 05:44 PM
What are Geelong going to give up?

Richmond have already declared they are not interested in Steven Motlop.

There's no way Geelong can get it done for picks.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Richmond have already declared they are not interested in Steven Motlop.

There's no way Geelong can get it done for picks.

This is the big catch. They threw the kitchen sink last year and didn't win the premiership. Their first pick is 35. Motlop won't attract that much after his poor finals series. I really don't understand how Deledio & Tuohy get to Geelong.

Mantis
10-10-2016, 05:52 PM
This is the big catch. They threw the kitchen sink last year and didn't win the premiership. Their first pick is 35. Motlop won't attract that much after his poor finals series. I really don't understand how Deledio & Tuohy get to Geelong.

Geel would be hoping that in trading out Motlop & Vardy they would get picks allowing the acquistion of Deledio & Tuohy.. Not sure it works and would need a lot to go right + potential steak knives.

GVGjr
10-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Don't change the list just for the sake of changing .. We have an extremely good list .. They are young and will only get better .. If players want to leave that's fine we are in a position where we will get overs for them.
Cloke and Crameri will fill the only void we actually have.( help out Stringer )
I'm not sure we have another weak position we need to fill.
Our list seems to cover all positions on the ground .

I think that is a reasonable stance but I don't think having a static list is a good thing either. Hawthorn will improve, GWS could be a beast, Adelaide are close, the Cats reinvent themselves most seasons and Swans are unlikely to dip so we do need to keep pushing the boundaries each season.

If could trade two depth players for a genuinely better player then I think we need to do that.

We need a ruckman and more class around the ground so we should look at all options if they can make us a better team.

1eyedog
10-10-2016, 06:16 PM
I think that is a reasonable stance but I don't think having a static list is a good thing either. Hawthorn will improve, GWS could be a beast, Adelaide are close, the Cats reinvent themselves most seasons and Swans are unlikely to dip so we do need to keep pushing the boundaries each season.

If could trade two depth players for a genuinely better player then I think we need to do that.

We need a ruckman and more class around the ground so we should look at all options if they can make us a better team.

What player types would you be interested in G?

bulldogtragic
10-10-2016, 06:21 PM

Yep, how did Hawthorn sustain amazing success? Trading in Gibson, Burgoyne, Lake, Gunston, Hale, O'Rourke, McEvoy and now Mitchell, O'Meara & Vickery.

Us sitting back or standing still is not my desired outcome for this trade period.

GVGjr
10-10-2016, 06:40 PM
What player types would you be interested in G?

We need an emerging ruckman because I don't think we can really go into the season with just 2 being supported by Boyd although I am starting to think that Boyd will be doing the ruck role more and more.

Ideally we need so more class and pace around the midfield and given we made a strong play for Hurley we might need to look at a key defender although a fit Adams and a retention of Hamling might be enough with support from Roberts and I suspect Cordy will be in the back half again next season.

Depth in the playing list served us well this year but I don't think it's ever time for complacency. One or two deals that improve our list should be considered.

GVGjr
10-10-2016, 06:44 PM
Yep, how did Hawthorn sustain amazing success? Trading in Gibson, Burgoyne, Lake, Gunston, Hale, O'Rourke, McEvoy and now Mitchell, O'Meara & Vickery.

Us sitting back or standing still is not my desired outcome for this trade period.

It certainly doesn't need to be as dramatic as the Hawks have done but I hope the flag doesn't give us a false sense that there isn't scope for improvement within the playing list.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2016, 06:45 PM
As an aside, it's now a players time of the year. Not only are more bigger name players asking to move (a lot of previous first rounders), but designating the club too.

Deledio, O'Meara, Gibbs, Mitchell, Tuohy, Marchbank, Cloke, Prestia, etc, etc. plus free agency Wells & Vickery so far.

SlimPickens
10-10-2016, 07:05 PM
As an aside, it's now a players time of the year. Not only are more bigger name players asking to move (a lot of previous first rounders), but designating the club too.

Deledio, O'Meara, Gibbs, Mitchell, Tuohy, Marchbank, Cloke, Prestia, etc, etc. plus free agency Wells & Vickery so far.

Must say it really shits me that players who really haven't done anything ie Marchbank, Steele etc nominating the club they want to go to. You earn that right through free agency IMO, not the fact you simply are on an afl list.

lemmon
10-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Must say it really shits me that players who really haven't done anything ie Marchbank, Steele etc nominating the club they want to go to. You earn that right through free agency IMO, not the fact you simply are on an afl list.

The sooner more power is handed back to clubs the better. If you aren't a free agent and want out, clubs should have the right to ship you off to the highest bidder.

All this work has obviously been done over the last few months, did we have all our eggs in the Hurley basket and didn't get the groundwork in with someone like Marchbank?

ledge
10-10-2016, 07:45 PM
We are working on something don't worry . We just don't say anything .. Should have Learned that from the Boyd deal everyone thought it was Patton then we went bang and no one knew anything.

Webby
10-10-2016, 08:08 PM
The sooner more power is handed back to clubs the better. If you aren't a free agent and want out, clubs should have the right to ship you off to the highest bidder.

All this work has obviously been done over the last few months, did we have all our eggs in the Hurley basket and didn't get the groundwork in with someone like Marchbank?

It's something that the AFL will need to look at. America has free agency. The AFLPA pointed out that it was unfair that AFL players weren't entitled to it, so the AFL allowed free agency.

However, if under contract, American footballers (baseballers, basketballers & hockey players) can and are shipped off anywhere at any time. They accept it because, unlike the rest of us, they are in a highly privileged, highly paid profession.

It seems a bit "Have your cake and eat it too" down here at present.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Sam Mitchell is heading to West Coast for a one year deal and coaching job after it. That's how the Hawks are easing salary cap pressure.

azabob
12-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Sam Mitchell is heading to West Coast for a one year deal and coaching job after it. That's how the Hawks are easing salary cap pressure.

Twitter literally blew up when that news dropped.

1eyedog
12-10-2016, 12:45 PM

Interesting. The way he plays he could play 2 years no problem. He doesn't need to use his pace and his brain and his season this year suggests he has longevity. Tom Mitchell is a good long-term replacement but is inconsistent. They'll miss Sam next year but it's long-term gain for them and makes sense.

comrade
12-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Would love to get involved in the Gibbs/Adelaide deal.

Send pick 18 to Adelaide for Charlie Cameron.

Adelaide sends pick 13 and 18 to Carlton.

Carlton sends Gibbs and their 2nd rounder to Adelaide.

Disclaimer: I love Charlie Cameron.

Topdog
12-10-2016, 01:23 PM
No thanks to Cameron, he is a spud

jazzadogs
12-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Would love to get involved in the Gibbs/Adelaide deal.

Send pick 18 to Adelaide for Charlie Cameron.

Adelaide sends pick 13 and 18 to Carlton.

Carlton sends Gibbs and their 2nd rounder to Adelaide.

Disclaimer: I love Charlie Cameron.

I also love Charlie Cameron, and think he would be better than anyone we could get at 18.

The trade whisperer on twitter has reported that the Blues have rejected CC, will only take Brad Crouch.

Happy Days
12-10-2016, 01:56 PM
You guys wanna feel sad?

Mitchell next to Priddis relieves some of Shuey + Gaff need to win contested footy. Sheed, Yeo, Redden, Masten, Jetta + Duggan = handy mid. https://twitter.com/traderadio/status/786006305097920512 …

Look at those names; I've never seen a team so ready to beat Brisbane at home by 140 in round 13 and get bounced in week one of the finals in my life.

Mitchell is the best there comfortably and he changes nothing.

comrade
12-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Too bad they don't have a ruckman to tap it to Mitchell.

He's a champ but it doesn't turn them into premiership material.

Axe Man
12-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Interesting. The way he plays he could play 2 years no problem. He doesn't need to use his pace and his brain and his season this year suggests he has longevity. Tom Mitchell is a good long-term replacement but is inconsistent. They'll miss Sam next year but it's long-term gain for them and makes sense.

A long plane trip to the east coast every second week might make it harder for him at 34-35.

1eyedog
12-10-2016, 02:41 PM
I didn't consider that

comrade
12-10-2016, 02:41 PM
A long plane trip to the east coast every second week might make it harder for him at 34-35.

He may just play home games and important interstate games. Can see him giving the GABBA and Metricon a wide berth.

Ozza
12-10-2016, 03:06 PM
Mitchell has 3 or 4 young kids....he probably appreciates the travel/night off occasionally!!

Sedat
12-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Deledio interested in talking to the Bulldogs, source Rohan Connolly SEN just now

chef
12-10-2016, 03:36 PM
Would love Lids at the Dogs.

1eyedog
12-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Can do most things really well Lids think he would thrive in a good team.

We've got more collateral than Geelong to get it done.

Sedat
12-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Talk is pick 18 and Hrovat or Honeychurch with the Vickery pick coming back our way. I'd be open to it only if his ongoing calf/achilles issues from recent seasons have been sorted.

Happy Days
12-10-2016, 03:41 PM
I like this move. Not only does it make us better on field (he'd be an upgrade over pretty much everyone forward of the full back line down the side of the field), but with along with Wood and Boyd would make our merchandise catalogue the sexiest in the league.

What would/do we have to give up?

comrade
12-10-2016, 03:42 PM
I like this move. Not only does it make us better on field (he'd be an upgrade over pretty much everyone forward of the full back line down the side of the field), but with along with Wood and Boyd would make our merchandise catalogue the sexiest in the league.

What would/do we have to give up?

Fletch?

Axe Man
12-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Sounds like Deledio wants to be anywhere but Richmond, can't blame him!

soupman
12-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Fletch?

Based off his instagram he has done very well for himself.

Axe Man
12-10-2016, 05:32 PM
Collingwood trying to trade players out they only recently traded in?

@barrettdamian: James Aish and Levi Greenwood have had their names floated on trade table by the Pies to at least one club

bulldogtragic
12-10-2016, 06:09 PM

If true, they're a joke.

ratsmac
12-10-2016, 08:12 PM
I like the sound of Deledio to the dogs. He is a gun when he's fully fit. The only problem is that Richmond will want Bontempelli and our first round pick to get the deal done.

Rocket Science
12-10-2016, 11:29 PM

Buckley suddenly embarking on his best Vossy impression.

What's Fev up to these days?

bornadog
12-10-2016, 11:45 PM
Buckley suddenly embarking on his best Vossy impression.

What's Fev up to these days?

Last seen in Chapel st relieving himself

bulldogtragic
12-10-2016, 11:53 PM
Hypothetically, could we go at Jaeger? His cover story about nominating Hawthorn was trust in their medico's. The recent news articles show our medico's, surgeons and sports science relationship with VU as industry best. So if that's a key factor, we tick that box. Hawthorn are prioritising other trades seemingly. We are now the premiers, which we weren't when he called it. We have the cash and salary cap to cover his wage. We have a first rounder for them to on trade for a good ready made, a second rounder in 2017 and we can offer GCS Stevens, Hrovat & Honeychurch who are looking for opportunities. Do we bother even thinking about it as a club?

Dancin' Douggy
13-10-2016, 03:09 AM
Hypothetically, could we go at Jaeger? His cover story about nominating Hawthorn was trust in their medico's. The recent news articles show our medico's, surgeons and sports science relationship with VU as industry best. So if that's a key factor, we tick that box. Hawthorn are prioritising other trades seemingly. We are now the premiers, which we weren't when he called it. We have the cash and salary cap to cover his wage. We have a first rounder for them to on trade for a good ready made, a second rounder in 2017 and we can offer GCS Stevens, Hrovat & Honeychurch who are looking for opportunities. Do we bother even thinking about it as a club?

I've been having this exact thought. Why not us?.........

Remi Moses
13-10-2016, 03:18 AM
Buckley channeling crazy Vossy
Mayne 500 per year for four . Just incredible

Remi Moses
13-10-2016, 03:21 AM
This whole nonsense pedalled on Mitchell is nauseating .
Once again this hawthorn ahead of the game is being thrown around, yet they're unloading 600,000 out of their cap .

comrade
13-10-2016, 10:39 AM
This whole nonsense pedalled on Mitchell is nauseating .
Once again this hawthorn ahead of the game is being thrown around, yet they're unloading 600,000 out of their cap .

They've brought in Vickery on half a mill, have been caught short in the cap and are now offloading on all time champ.

If any other club brought in Vickery and offloaded Mitchell in the same trade period, they would be the laughing stock of the AFL. Yet Hawthorn are 'professional, progressive' etc.

Axe Man
13-10-2016, 10:43 AM
From the Herald Sun:

The Tigers and the Western Bulldogs are in the hunt for Sydney ruckman Toby Nankervis.

The Swans have declared Nankervis and first-round pick Dean Towers required players, but both are out of contract.

1eyedog
13-10-2016, 07:19 PM
They've brought in Vickery on half a mill, have been caught short in the cap and are now offloading on all time champ.

If any other club brought in Vickery and offloaded Mitchell in the same trade period, they would be the laughing stock of the AFL. Yet Hawthorn are 'professional, progressive' etc.

Mitchell wants to coach, he's mates with Simpson and will take on an assistants role with the Eagles after next year. He realizes next year is his last and is shoring up the next phase. Mitchell and Clarko spoke about it at the start of the year, he's not being pushed out.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Now there's a Jordan Lewis cluster*!*!*!*!. Hawthorn are having an interesting time of trade weeks.