PDA

View Full Version : Operation: Get Boomer Harvey

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 08:12 PM
(Having to watch North) Last night he made short, sharp laser paces to his forwards than we had today, and in numerous games of ours this year. Our forward line is dysfunctional as is our entry to them. Boomer would be easily the best player on our list to hit a forward on the full, as well as get involved in multiple score involvements and run midfield. The coaches haven't changed anything his year (at all it seems) so it seems to me it must be a personnel issue. Boomer Harvey addresses a glaring need. Although I've said many things over the years, I will swallow them whole to see us capitalise on forward entries. He's a delisted free agent and costs nothing but a spot. Do it.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Whilst I agree, is there any point? Is our list capable of winning the flag next year?

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 08:23 PM
Whilst I agree, is there any point? Is our list capable of winning the flag next year?

If we trade a few players who despite bad kicking, have some trade value, maybe. Get Vickery as a free agent and hope that Adams & Dad come back better/stronger/fitter again for defence, and Bob and others back. Natural development in a few, hopefully Tom Boyd etc. Hopefully we can contend.

bornadog
28-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Big fat noooooooooooooo

dukedog
28-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Wow. Boomer would be silly to chase a flag. Games record holder. 20 odd seasons at NM. Even if he snuck a flag with us. He couldnt stand proud back at north. He would be shot.

Throughandthrough
28-08-2016, 08:46 PM
there's a bloke named Crameri that will be available next season. He will help straighten us up. Much younger than Harvey.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Big fat noooooooooooooo

Get on board BAD. Doug Hawkins is already saying it publicly too.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Wow. Boomer would be silly to chase a flag. Games record holder. 20 odd seasons at NM. Even if he snuck a flag with us. He couldnt stand proud back at north. He would be shot.

Win-Win? :D

dukedog
28-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Win-Win? :D

Ill pay that :p

always right
28-08-2016, 09:00 PM
Trade him for Suckling. What have we got to lose?

Rocket Science
28-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Cue a video of Terry Wallace screaming "I'll spew up!!" on endless loop, for the rest of eternity.

That's a no thank you from me.

GVGjr
28-08-2016, 10:39 PM

Just on the list, I really believe we are right in the mix

Harvey is a good conversation but it's a doubtful inclusion for many reasons.

Greystache
28-08-2016, 11:14 PM
He'd potentially be a very good pick up, he's the sort of player the team really needs.

Having said that, I hope we don't go after him, I can't stand the little turd!

Hotdog60
28-08-2016, 11:18 PM
I think that although he has had a good season he will drop off very quickly.
At 39 and in a foreign team I can't see motivation to push himself to what would be needed.

bornadog
28-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Get on board BAD. Doug Hawkins is already saying it publicly too.

Are we that desperate - I don't think so.

ratsmac
29-08-2016, 01:36 AM
He could be ok and be just what we need but I'd rather him disappear into retirement.

LostDoggy
29-08-2016, 06:59 AM

That would be fair if he left them, but they have already shown him the door. His status with North is set in stone. Douggy's status with us was unaffected by his year elsewhere and guys like Stevie J are still beloved at their original club despite kicking on after being told their services were no longer required. No way will Harvey be any different.

Sedat
29-08-2016, 11:07 AM
I think we are - continued incremental improvement in our U23's, return of Crameri and Bob. Even an ok run with injuries and we are in 2017 up to our necks IMO.

Harvey is a top shelf finisher and distributor of the ball but he offers precisely zero defensively. Opposition clubs play through him as a result - Norf didn't make the decision on Harvey just because of his age, he has major limitations in his defensive game and that has hurt them in games this year. Was his offensive game enough to overcome his defensive liabilities and get another contract with Norf? Possibly.

Greystache
29-08-2016, 11:11 AM
I think we are - continued incremental improvement in our U23's, return of Crameri and Bob. Even an ok run with injuries and we are in 2017 up to our necks IMO.

Harvey is a top shelf finisher and distributor of the ball but he offers precisely zero defensively. Opposition clubs play through him as a result - Norf didn't make the decision on Harvey just because of his age, he has major limitations in his defensive game and that has hurt them in games this year. Was his offensive game enough to overcome his defensive liabilities and get another contract with Norf? Possibly.

Given we've kicked 40 odd points in a game against top 8 teams 3 times this year and are last of the top 12 teams for scoring, if our key criteria for recruiting forwards/mids is their defensive game, to quote the great man I'll spew up!!

Sedat
29-08-2016, 11:23 AM
Given we've kicked 40 odd points in a game against top 8 teams 3 times this year and are last of the top 12 teams for scoring, if our key criteria for recruiting forwards/mids is their defensive game, to quote the great man I'll spew up!!
Just providing some context as to why Norf may not have offered him a contract. If one player doesn't do their bit in team defensive structure, it breaks the entire system down. He has some obvious tools that could help us - if our list management saw him as adding value to our overall structure in 2017 I would support it.

Axe Man
29-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Do people seriously not want Harvey because they don't like him? Fair enough if you don't think he fits because of age, defensive pressure or whatever, but personality isn't a good reason. I didn't like Aker or Barry Hall before they became dogs but I loved them once they pulled on the jumper and help us win games. I would be happy with Ivan Milat on the half back flank if it helps us win a flag.

bornadog
29-08-2016, 12:42 PM
Do people seriously not want Harvey because they don't like him? Fair enough if you don't think he fits because of age, defensive pressure or whatever, but personality isn't a good reason. I didn't like Aker or Barry Hall before they became dogs but I loved them once they pulled on the jumper and help us win games. I would be happy with Ivan Milat on the half back flank if it helps us win a flag.

My reasoning is I don't believe his size player is a need for us.

Ozza
29-08-2016, 01:15 PM

Ivan would be a mean half back flanker I reckon.

Axe Man
29-08-2016, 01:33 PM
Ivan would be a mean half back flanker I reckon.

I think his opponents would have a tendency to go missing.

Too soon?

The Bulldogs Bite
29-08-2016, 02:33 PM

With all this in mind, we have to make a bold decision.

Either we think we are close enough and we genuinely load up ala Norf, which means getting both Cloke and Harvey (possibly others). How much do Murphy, Boyd and Morris have left? A year? 2017 may be our best opportunity before we 'dip' a little. In that case, I am all for getting both and throwing everything into next year.

Mofra
29-08-2016, 02:42 PM
No to Harvey.
He's professional, a decent guy off field despite what many think, and he can use the ball well but it's not a position of need. Hrovat and Daniel are already smalls who can use the ball, and we're still not 100% playing them both in the same team next year. Dahl plays a midfield small role, Hunter the outside wing type small.

I'd rather us focus on trading for deficiencies rather than an incremental 1% improvement in a position we're covered for.

EasternWest
29-08-2016, 03:18 PM
No to Harvey.
He's professional, a decent guy off field despite what many think, and he can use the ball well but it's not a position of need. Hrovat and Daniel are already smalls who can use the ball, and we're still not 100% playing them both in the same team next year. Dahl plays a midfield small role, Hunter the outside wing type small.

I'd rather us focus on trading for deficiencies rather than an incremental 1% improvement in a position we're covered for.

Agree with all of this. Bit of a grub on the field but haven't heard a bad word about him off the field. Good family man, helps out prospective recruits. We need to give Hrovat a real crack at filling that role - I had forgotten how good he actually can be.

1eyedog
29-08-2016, 03:41 PM
No to Harvey.

100% I met him 7-8 years ago while he was jogging through the city at like 5:30am one morning and he stopped to talk for 5. Great bloke.

Twodogs
29-08-2016, 04:00 PM
He must be the only bloke you'd see running through the city at 5am and not think "what's he up to?"

Templeton31
29-08-2016, 04:35 PM
I can see the logic of Boomer. Our link between the half back line and forward line (especially deep forward) has fallen down this year without Murph and generally without continuity of our back line players (suckers, jj, adams etc) and I reckon Boomer could help with that. But surely it would only be for a year and with all midfield players on deck (Macrae, libber, wally etc) and improvement of caleb, hrovat etc he would be slowing someone else development. I definitely wouldn't want us getting Boomer AND Cloke.

Rocco Jones
29-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Are we covered in his position? We are woeful at our forward entries AND kicking goals. He is 27th in the league for goals (1 goal off our top goalscorer) 16th for score involvements (Bonts is our best at 21).

bornadog
29-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Are we covered in his position? We are woeful at our forward entries AND kicking goals. He is 27th in the league for goals (1 goal off our top goalscorer) 16th for score involvements (Bonts is our best at 21).

Dale will come in next year and fill that gap.

Eze Dog
29-08-2016, 07:59 PM
I think he could add a lot of value if he is able to teach some of our smalls a few extra tricks which could hold us in good stead for future sustained success.