PDA

View Full Version : "Sunshine and Lollipops". The always looking on the bright side thread.

The Adelaide Connection
28-08-2016, 10:46 PM
I think we are in desperate need of some optimism and a place we can hide away from whatever the hell it was that just happened this weekend.

No balloon deflating here. Just comments that are angling for a positive.

To open:

Playing in Perth on Thursday minimises the recovery issue that is usually associated with playing over there. After we win we will have a minimum 8 day break before taking on the loser of The Cats/Hawks.

The Adelaide Connection
28-08-2016, 10:55 PM
Footscray playing finals and the new(?) rule that AFL players that didn't play round 23 are eligible to play. It's a huge advantage that means we can get some game time into a few players and give them a chance to come back in. Liberatore, Macrae, Campbell, Stringer, maybe Adams.

~Before~ anyone mentions the Thursday night short turn around, Footscray getting the double chance means we can play them with reduced game time and not stress too much about losing (didn't we beat Casey with our D team anyways?).

bornadog
28-08-2016, 11:39 PM
We have won 15 games, one more than last year. Of all the teams in the top 8, we have beaten Sydney on top, lost to Geelong, lost to Hawks by 3 points, Lost to GWS by 3 goals and beaten West Coast, Adelaide and North.

All this despite players having 3 x ACL's, Broken leg, Twisted ankles, serious hamstrings, major foot injuries etc. Three of Our best 22 midfield has been missing, yet we continue to win (forget today)

We have had two rising star nominations and have the favourite playing for us, plus we have unearthed some great kids like Dunkley, McLean and Williams.

We have also made finals two years in a row.

hujsh
29-08-2016, 12:04 AM
We didn't become the first team to win 16 games and miss a top 4 spot.

Not a record I particularly wanted.

AndrewP6
29-08-2016, 12:09 AM
I can still remember Shocktober, and playing finals is a squillion* times better than that was.

*a technical term.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2016, 12:13 AM
Need to be in it to win it.

The Adelaide Connection
29-08-2016, 12:28 AM
No Natanui. Nevermind what happened when the Crows got stage fright, aside that they have not beaten a top 8 team without him.

Twodogs
29-08-2016, 12:37 AM
We are the envy of eight other teams reluctantly preparing for mad Monday.

The Adelaide Connection
29-08-2016, 12:37 AM
Assuming the few players we expect to play come up, the only players missing from when we beat them in round 11 are Redpath and Wallis, with inclusions being Wood, JJ, and T. Boyd.

LostDoggy
29-08-2016, 07:05 AM
We didn't become the first team to win 16 games and miss a top 4 spot.

Not a record I particularly wanted.

Adelaide and WCE cop that 'honour'. What a shame :)

LostDoggy
29-08-2016, 07:06 AM
We are the envy of eight other teams reluctantly preparing for mad Monday.

10 other teams

bornadog
29-08-2016, 09:40 AM
10 other teams

TD can't count. :D

EasternWest
29-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Joel Hamling might become a decent footballer yet.

craigsahibee
29-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Positive hey?

Fletcher Roberts is a good state league footballer.

Bulldog4life
29-08-2016, 10:41 AM
After a last game loss last year we came out blazing and should have beaten Adelaide. The same will be this year except we will beat the Weagles.

1eyedog
29-08-2016, 10:43 AM
So my 4 year old daughter gets up this morning after going to watch our VFL team crush the Pies at Whitten Oval on Saturday. Took her into the Bulldogs shop and got her a hoodie and a 'The pack' cap. Hasn't taken them off since, last thing off at night first thing on in the morning. She went to a 4 year old party yesterday and all of her friends were in pink and purple and here was this red, white and blue jelly bean jumping around.

Anyway she gets up this morning, says good morning, sits down on the mat in the sunshine and starts sorting out her brother's footy cards with the Bulldogs on top singing 'The Bulldogs, are taking over'. For a dismal weekend her and her new found love of the Bulldogs has been a little ray of sunshine. Makes me feel optimistic about the Eagles in 2 weeks and, a bit like the pending spring, a new little Bulldogs has popped out of the soil.

Flamethrower
29-08-2016, 10:43 AM
With the young talent on our list, we are going to be contenders for the next decade.

Cyberdoggie
29-08-2016, 11:59 AM
So my 4 year old daughter gets up this morning after going to watch our VFL team crush the Pies at Whitten Oval on Saturday. Took her into the Bulldogs shop and got her a hoodie and a 'The pack' cap. Hasn't taken them off since, last thing off at night first thing on in the morning. She went to a 4 year old party yesterday and all of her friends were in pink and purple and here was this red, white and blue jelly bean jumping around.

Anyway she gets up this morning, says good morning, sits down on the mat in the sunshine and starts sorting out her brother's footy cards with the Bulldogs on top singing 'The Bulldogs, are taking over'. For a dismal weekend her and her new found love of the Bulldogs has been a little ray of sunshine. Makes me feel optimistic about the Eagles in 2 weeks and, a bit like the pending spring, a new little Bulldogs has popped out of the soil.

Hehe reminds me of my 4 yo daughter as well.

She got a dogs Guernsey with the number 4 on the back (for her fourth birthday), and since has been fanatical about Bontempelli.
Goes crazy every time she see's him get the ball. Also got her a pen that plays the club them song when you press the button on the back, gets played ad nauseum around the house and is the greatest tool for brainwashing your children let me tell you.
She hasn't quite worked out the winning and losing part yet so she is just super excited when they are playing and they are always the best no matter what. Kind of picks you up a little bit after a loss.

Eastdog
29-08-2016, 12:09 PM
After a last game loss last year we came out blazing and should have beaten Adelaide. The same will be this year except we will beat the Weagles.

That's right B4L. I reckon we should of won last year's EF. We played a great game that night. Had we taken our chances it would have been a different story.

LostDoggy
29-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Positives:

- McGovern's shoulder is surely due to go pop.
- West Coast have Josh Hill

We can do this!

LostDoggy
29-08-2016, 09:12 PM
We're playing in the cool:cool: of the night.
Some of those Weak Coke talls might lose their footing in the dewy grass as our mids ravage it back through the middle and smash it towards our mighty fowards to pulverise and pillage the Cokers.;)

LostDoggy
30-08-2016, 08:32 AM
https://www.bigfooty.com/news/2016/08/depressed-tigers-fan-makes-the-best-talkback-phone-call-ever/

We're not Richmond.

1eyedog
30-08-2016, 10:30 AM
https://www.bigfooty.com/news/2016/08/depressed-tigers-fan-makes-the-best-talkback-phone-call-ever/

We're not Richmond.

I couldn't stop laughing. That's gold. The perfect analogy.

Mofra
30-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Bontempelli is a Bulldog.

That is all.

mjp
30-08-2016, 03:15 PM
That's right B4L. I reckon we should of won last year's EF. We played a great game that night. Had we taken our chances it would have been a different story.

...had we taken our chances AND maybe put someone in the same postcode as Eddie in the 1st quarter?

Eastdog
30-08-2016, 05:46 PM
10 other teams

Twodogs was thinking of the old 16 team competition before we had the AFL propped up sides come in.

The Adelaide Connection
03-09-2016, 12:12 PM
I don't think you can underestimate how lucky we are that we played there last week. Not only was it a extended training run on the ground (with a crowd as loud as finals due to the circumstances); the travel over, the hotel, the surroundings, and the game day routine all become a little more familiar and comfortable.

We couldn't have scripted a better round 23 venue really.

LostDoggy
05-09-2016, 12:06 PM
This is our 13th finals appearance in 25 seasons. In the modern era, we are a team that makes finals more than it misses. We still need to do better when we get there, but for those of us who can remember the 1970s-1980s Dogs, it beats the hell out of those times (in the 30 seasons 1962-1991, we played in 3 final series and won 1 final in those 30 years).

Twodogs
05-09-2016, 12:28 PM

Great stuff

Hehe reminds me of my 4 yo daughter as well.

She got a dogs Guernsey with the number 4 on the back (for her fourth birthday), and since has been fanatical about Bontempelli.
Goes crazy every time she see's him get the ball. Also got her a pen that plays the club them song when you press the button on the back, gets played ad nauseum around the house and is the greatest tool for brainwashing your children let me tell you.
She hasn't quite worked out the winning and losing part yet so she is just super excited when they are playing and they are always the best no matter what. Kind of picks you up a little bit after a loss.

When Lucy was 4 she told me that she was going to marry Adam Cooney. We saw him at the supermarket in West Footscray one day but managed to resist the urge to propose.

When I was just a kid I can remember looking through the results of the races with my granddad and complaining that a horse I backed had unluckily lost a race. My dear old granddad waited until I had stopped complaining and said to me "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Listen mate, there is an old saying-great horse and if it hadn't stopped for a shit then it would have won the race" Coulda, shoulda, woulda does your head no good.

This is our 13th finals appearance in 25 seasons. In the modern era, we are a team that makes finals more than it misses. We still need to do better when we get there, but for those of us who can remember the 1970s-1980s Dogs, it beats the hell out of those times (in the 30 seasons 1962-1991, we played in 3 final series and won 1 final in those 30 years).

That's a fairly good record and while you are right when you said that it beats the pants of being a supporter in the miserable days of the '70s and '80s I really, really want a premiership.

LostDoggy
05-09-2016, 12:29 PM
19 is the hottest predicted all week. Thursday it's time to take the leash off Jake.

The Adelaide Connection
06-09-2016, 03:10 AM
The dimensions of Whitten Oval are: 161x123m
Subiaco's dimensions are: 175x122.4m

Surely it's a significant advantage having a ground that is ballpark to the dimensions of where we are playing.

bornadog
06-09-2016, 09:10 AM
The dimensions of Whitten Oval are: 161x123m
Subiaco's dimensions are: 175x122.4m

Surely it's a significant advantage having a ground that is ballpark to the dimensions of where we are playing.

When we played at WO, the ground dimensions were 176m by 127m. These days the goals have been moved in, in order to replicate Etihad and MCG length.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2016, 08:53 PM
The bright side, Bevo says at least Stringer, Libba, Wood, Macrae & Roughy are in for Thursday.

Just a little ray of sunshine.

Twodogs
06-09-2016, 09:17 PM
The bright side, Bevo says at least Stringer, Libba, Wood, Macrae & Roughy are in for Thursday.

Just a little ray of sunshine.

Five back from injury (and poor form) is quite a dollop of sunshine.

GVGjr
06-09-2016, 09:23 PM
I love a challenge and I'm looking forward to the game. Everything seems to be stacked against us but I just feel we are ready for the challenge.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2016, 09:28 PM
I love a challenge and I'm looking forward to the game. Everything seems to be stacked against us but I just feel we are ready for the challenge.

You have to believe the club's most amazing finals win hasn't occurred yet. Maybe this could be our new amazing finals moment.

The Adelaide Connection
06-09-2016, 10:29 PM
Win, lose or draw this will likely be the second to last time EVER that we have to play this crappy ground (third to last if we get a crappy fixture and pull the double next year).

LostDoggy
07-09-2016, 01:45 AM
Win, lose or draw this will likely be the second to last time EVER that we have to play this crappy ground (third to last if we get a crappy fixture and pull the double next year).

Could be a trivia question the last team to win a final at the ground?

LostDoggy
07-09-2016, 01:46 AM
https://youtu.be/9YLrCmug9aE

Excuse the swearing but it's a laugh.

comrade
07-09-2016, 09:22 AM

Funny stuff. Threatening to grind them into protein powder and feeding them to Marcus Adams was a highlight.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2016, 09:49 AM

"Don't worry... Ayce Cordy was delisted last year... " :D

1eyedog
07-09-2016, 10:06 AM

So many highlights in that thanks for sharing.

LostDoggy
07-09-2016, 10:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbClaikdaoI

Wonderful stuff. That bit of footage really is the gift that keeps on giving.
The above is very similar and a blast from the fairly recent past.

The Adelaide Connection
09-09-2016, 02:41 AM
To open:

Playing in Perth on Thursday minimises the recovery issue that is usually associated with playing over there. After we win we will have a minimum 8 day break before taking on the loser of The Cats/Hawks.

I wouldn't normally quote myself, but I am pretty bloody happy that I can say that this post (which was made with a fair bit of false optimism) came through. Now lets hope the Cats and Hawks belt hell out of each other and they cop a whole bunch of suspensions.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 12:03 PM
You have to believe the club's most amazing finals win hasn't occurred yet. Maybe this could be our new amazing finals moment.

Wise words BT. But again, you have to believe the club's most amazing finals win hasn't occurred yet. Maybe this semi final could be our new amazing finals moment.