PDA

View Full Version : Great Expectations - Draftees and Rookies?

LostDoggy
18-12-2007, 07:42 PM
OK not the Charles Dickens masterpiece, but games wise in 2008 what would be a good but realistic outcome for the following players?
This can be both games for the seniors and/or for Williamstown

Senior list
Jarrad Grant
Callan Ward
Sam Reid
Easton Wood
Jarrad Boumann
Guy O'Keefe

Rookies
James Mulligan
Harry White
John Shaw

I have left off Gavin Hughes

hujsh
18-12-2007, 08:37 PM
4-11 games for Ward would be excellent, while a debut would be very good for Jarrad Grant

southerncross
18-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I will set modest goals

Senior list
Jarrad Grant - 17 games with Willy, 3 with the Dogs seniors
Callan Ward - 17 games with Willy, 3 with the Dogs seniors
Sam Reid - 20 games with Willy
Easton Wood - 10 games with Willy seniors 10 with the reserves
Jarrad Boumann - 5 games with Willy seniors 15 with the reserves
Guy O'Keefe - 5 games with Willy seniors 15 with the reserves

Rookies
James Mulligan - 5 games with Willy seniors 15 with the reserves
Harry White - 2 games with Willy seniors 18 with the reserves
John Shaw - 20 games with the Willy reserves

Go_Dogs
19-12-2007, 10:24 AM
I agree with the general consensus that Cal Ward and Jarrad Grant appear to be the two most likely that will play some senior football for the Dogs this coming season. Obviously it all comes down to form and injury, but as with previous years I'd hope that the pick of the new recruits get to see a few games at some stage.

dog town
19-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Reid looks like he could be a chance to play some games in his first year. Ward will almost certainly play quite a few games and I think O'Keefe could be some sort of chance to play the kind of roles that Harbrow played last season.

Bulldog Revolution
19-12-2007, 04:37 PM
I will set modest goals

Senior list
Sam Reid - 20 games with Willy
Easton Wood - 10 games with Willy seniors 10 with the reserves
Guy O'Keefe - 5 games with Willy seniors 15 with the reserves

I thought these were interesting SCross, particularly for Easton Wood who is coming off a shoulder operation, and not even having played TAC cup footy last year.

Is there a reason you expect him to play more games than OKeefe?

Have you seen any of Reid at training? or in nat champ games?

bornadog
19-12-2007, 05:04 PM
I agree with the general consensus that Cal Ward and Jarrad Grant appear to be the two most likely that will play some senior football for the Dogs this coming season. Obviously it all comes down to form and injury, but as with previous years I'd hope that the pick of the new recruits get to see a few games at some stage.

Grant will most likely get a few games in towards the second half of the season. Callan may debut first.

southerncross
19-12-2007, 09:25 PM
I thought these were interesting SCross, particularly for Easton Wood who is coming off a shoulder operation, and not even having played TAC cup footy last year.

Is there a reason you expect him to play more games than OKeefe?

Have you seen any of Reid at training? or in nat champ games?

I have punted on Wood. I'd expect him to play a number of games early in the season for the reserves and then force his way into the Williamstown senior side. 10 and 10 is probably optimistic.

Reid is a good type and probably has a touch of Mitch Hahn about him. I think he will have a solid season for Williamstown.

Bulldog Revolution
20-12-2007, 10:23 AM
I have punted on Wood. I'd expect him to play a number of games early in the season for the reserves and then force his way into the Williamstown senior side. 10 and 10 is probably optimistic.

Reid is a good type and probably has a touch of Mitch Hahn about him. I think he will have a solid season for Williamstown.

Cheers SC

I guess in Reid, Wood and Ward we have an opportunity to bring a more physical edge to our midfield/running play. Reid looked a terrific prospect to me on the limited highlights tape.

Scorlibo
20-12-2007, 07:59 PM
I'd expect Ward to play about the half the season, Grant to play a few games, Reid to debut, Wood not to play, Boumann to debut and O'Keefe not to play.
Boumann I don't know much about but he looks a very strong build and so could possibly stand a chance of debuting in 08. Grant is such a light build that for him to debut you'd think would be a pleasing result, but lets not forget Everitt this year was not expected to play many games at all because of his very light build, yet played many games because of his athletic ability. Grant is reportedly even quicker than Everitt and if played in a position which would not hinder this ability, he could be another first year success story. But of course all of this depends on injuries and how the team is travelling.

If there's one great thing about the NAB cup, it's that we get to see most of the new players on display. It is here where we may get the best indication of where the young players are at. For example, this year in Canberra, when we played Sydney in NAB cup, Jarrod Harbrow really made a name for himself and had a great game, this laid the foundations for a very successful debut season. In Harbrow's case he started the season as a rookie, which is an even greater achievement.

Point is that the NAB cup, while being a warm up for some and a bore for some spectators, is a very important event for the young players, who can gain confidence, respect and the club's confidence in their ability, from a good performance.

LostDoggy
20-12-2007, 08:19 PM
If Grant has half the debut season Everitt had it will be a success. Im not puting any pressure on them. As long as they get through the season unscathed i will be a happy man.

GVGjr
20-12-2007, 09:38 PM
If Grant has half the debut season Everitt had it will be a success. Im not puting any pressure on them. As long as they get through the season unscathed i will be a happy man.

It's a very important point. Injury free first seasons can really help them long term.

hujsh
20-12-2007, 11:01 PM
If there's one great thing about the NAB cup, it's that we get to see most of the new players on display. It is here where we may get the best indication of where the young players are at. For example, this year in Canberra, when we played Sydney in NAB cup, Jarrod Harbrow really made a name for himself and had a great game, this laid the foundations for a very successful debut season. In Harbrow's case he started the season as a rookie, which is an even greater achievement.

Point is that the NAB cup, while being a warm up for some and a bore for some spectators, is a very important event for the young players, who can gain confidence, respect and the club's confidence in their ability, from a good performance.

Absolutely true but Lynch and McDougall had good games as well so it isn't the best indicator.

Bulldog Revolution
21-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Absolutely true but Lynch and McDougall had good games as well so it isn't the best indicator.

It might be if they dazzle in the next couple of years

hujsh
21-12-2007, 03:37 PM
It might be if they dazzle in the next couple of years

I thought you meant more success that year than future success

Scorlibo
23-12-2007, 12:12 AM

Well, Lynch did debut, and being an extremely skinny kid that's a fair achievement. He did have a ripper game, I was sitting in the first row on the Manuka side wing and saw Lynch tap the ball under his opponents grasp, and then turn on those turbo charged legs of his to his way ease past his opponent, scoop up the ball and zoom down the wing.

It's the first year players who a making their first impressions in the NAB cup, which is why it probably isn't as much of an important indication for McDougall, because he has already played at AFL level.

mjp
23-12-2007, 11:20 AM
John Shaw - 20 games with the Willy reserves

We are WAY under-rating Shaw. He is 2 years older than Cal Ward for example, and is a pretty good size/very competitive. If he doesn't play some senior VFL footy - especially given that ruckman are usually thin on the ground at all levels of footy - I would be very disappointed.

I would have said he was miles in front of Mulligan as things stand today.

Harbrow_hero
23-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Grant will most likely get a few games in towards the second half of the season. .

Hes pretty skinny?

Mofra
23-12-2007, 06:04 PM
We are WAY under-rating Shaw. He is 2 years older than Cal Ward for example, and is a pretty good size/very competitive. If he doesn't play some senior VFL footy - especially given that ruckman are usually thin on the ground at all levels of footy - I would be very disappointed.

I would have said he was miles in front of Mulligan as things stand today.

As I read it Mulligan is a blank canvas so Shaw should be in front of him.
In your opinion (as I assume you've seen him at least twice) is Shaw a realistic shot of becoming a long term player or is he insurance against injury to a Minson/Hudson/Skipper?

LostDoggy
23-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Does anyone rate Hughes a chance to be promoted if there was an injury to one of midfielders especially with Giansiracusa doubtful?

Last year we had Pask, Hughes and of course Harbrow (by Xmas anyway) that were considered promotable but I think Hughes would be the only rookie now that might be able to play sopme senior football in 2008.

LostDoggy
25-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Does anyone rate Hughes a chance to be promoted if there was an injury to one of midfielders especially with Giansiracusa doubtful?

Last year we had Pask, Hughes and of course Harbrow (by Xmas anyway) that were considered promotable but I think Hughes would be the only rookie now that might be able to play sopme senior football in 2008.

He seems to have the talent but I don't think he will be promoted. We can always use Callan and Addison in midfield roles if needed.

hujsh
26-12-2007, 01:15 AM
He seems to have the talent but I don't think he will be promoted. We can always use Callan and Addison in midfield roles if needed.

I think Hughes is supposed to be a more attacking option (this is only based on the club bio)

Mofra
26-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I think Hughes is supposed to be a more attacking option (this is only based on the club bio)

Form the games I've seen him play at Werribee, he could find the ball if blindfolded & hog tied, so certainly has some raw material to work with. His disposal under pressure was terrible & he wasn't too quick chasing when the opposition have the ball, so he really needs to work on these two areas first before seriously pushing for selection.

Mantis
27-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Form the games I've seen him play at Werribee, he could find the ball if blindfolded & hog tied, so certainly has some raw material to work with. His disposal under pressure was terrible & he wasn't too quick chasing when the opposition have the ball, so he really needs to work on these two areas first before seriously pushing for selection.

So he will fit in well with our team then...;)

Mofra
30-12-2007, 09:13 AM
So he will fit in well with our team then...;)

No, in that case we'll give him senior gametime & trade him to Richmond or North Mebourne :p