PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Coaches for 2017

bornadog
01-09-2016, 06:04 PM
I Know our season is not over yet, but we do have a vacancy.

Anyone interested in Choco Williams now that Tigers have sacked him?

I think Bevo has his eye on someone and we won't hear about it till have the GF

Throughandthrough
01-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Tbh think Brisbane could do worse to get Choco as their senior coach.

azabob
01-09-2016, 08:17 PM
I heard we are interested in Brenton Sanderson even though he is odds on to go to Collingwood.

azabob
01-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Should we look to add another coach to the group (outside of replacing Montgomery)?

Throughandthrough
01-09-2016, 08:26 PM
I heard we are interested in Brenton Sanderson even though he is odds on to go to Collingwood.

Light weight. Loves to be popular amongst the players.

Twodogs
01-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Should we look to add another coach to the group (outside of replacing Montgomery)?

Maybe a forward coach?

What we really need is a really good skills coach to improve our kicking and general disposal.

ledge
01-09-2016, 08:37 PM
A good forwards coach, doesn't seem to be coming together at all with Gia.
The forwards and mids aren't connecting at all.
Who coaches the Eagles or Sydney forwards would be good.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2016, 08:40 PM
I don't mind the idea of Sanderson or Stewie Dew if he's uncontracted.

azabob
01-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Light weight. Loves to be popular amongst the players.

As an assistant that probably isn't a bad trait, as long as there were some tough love type coaches in the group as well.

1eyedog
01-09-2016, 10:15 PM
That was Monty's job.

Don't mind the idea of getting Rats, currently in a good program, builds good relationships and not afraid to say what needs to be said [as per his time at Carlton].

jeemak
01-09-2016, 10:35 PM
A good forwards coach, doesn't seem to be coming together at all with Gia.
The forwards and mids aren't connecting at all.
Who coaches the Eagles or Sydney forwards would be good.

Is it really Gia's issue though?

You'd have to be a freak forward coach to effectively coach a forward set up that isn't filled with noted forwards playing forward most weeks.

I'm not saying he's great, I just think this year's a tough year in which to gauge his quality.

anfo27
01-09-2016, 10:52 PM
Kicking coach for Cloke

hujsh
01-09-2016, 11:40 PM

You'd have to be a freak forward coach to effectively coach a forward set up that isn't filled with noted forwards playing forward most weeks.

I'm not saying he's great, I just think this year's a tough year in which to gauge his quality.
Last year we were all pretty happy with what he was producing IIRC.

Twodogs
02-09-2016, 12:03 AM

The defence and mids coaches had the same issue but on the whole their structures stood up when they were tested by absences. For one reason or another Gia's didn't. It might be that the guts was completely ripped out of Gia's structure with Crameri, Redpath, Dahlhaus, Boyd all not playing anywhere near as much time in attack as he would have counted on at the start of the season and the lack of output from Stringer and Dickson until 2/3rds of the way into the year.

But basic things like kicking accurately at goal either aren't being addressed or are being coached wrong because the players are terrible at it. Our forwards don't seem to have leading patterns.

Only an idiot judges a job that's only half done, and our forward line is half done at the moment, and it's my judgement that it needs to be done better.

LostDoggy
02-09-2016, 12:04 AM
Kicking coach for Cloke

Simon"The Pieman" Beaser?

Twodogs
02-09-2016, 12:51 AM
Simon"The Pieman" Beaser?

I was watching him kick for goal the other day on YouTube. Glorious kicking action. He stood up straight, didn't lean back and walked in on a direct line with the goals and funnily enough the ball would go straight. It annoys me watching players walk in twirling the ball in their hands or running in at an angle. Kicking for goal is simple, it's not rocket science.

jeemak
02-09-2016, 01:13 AM
The defence and mids coaches had the same issue but on the whole their structures stood up when they were tested by absences. For one reason or another Gia's didn't. It might be that the guts was completely ripped out of Gia's structure with Crameri, Redpath, Dahlhaus, Boyd all not playing anywhere near as much time in attack as he would have counted on at the start of the season and the lack of output from Stringer and Dickson until 2/3rds of the way into the year.

But basic things like kicking accurately at goal either aren't being addressed or are being coached wrong because the players are terrible at it. Our forwards don't seem to have leading patterns.

Only an idiot judges a job that's only half done, and our forward line is half done at the moment, and it's my judgement that it needs to be done better.

How do you set a forward structure up when all of your players are playing in the back half or around the footy?

Because we've had so many injuries all over the ground, the ball, or whatever our entire onfield team has been playing like it was the BMac days for the last few months, crowding it no matter what. I challenge anyone to name someone off the top of their heads to do a better job at structuring our forwards any better than Gia has under the circumstances.

I rate your views on footy TD, but if you can see it, I can see it and everyone else can see it then the issue is probably apparent to the likes of Gia.

Twodogs
02-09-2016, 02:40 AM
How do you set a forward structure up when all of your players are playing in the back half or around the footy?

Because we've had so many injuries all over the ground, the ball, or whatever our entire onfield team has been playing like it was the BMac days for the last few months, crowding it no matter what. I challenge anyone to name someone off the top of their heads to do a better job at structuring our forwards any better than Gia has under the circumstances.

I rate your views on footy TD, but if you can see it, I can see it and everyone else can see it then the issue is probably apparent to the likes of Gia.

I see your point. Norm Smith would have had trouble finding a way to function without the players taken away this year from Gia.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2016, 09:21 AM

Maybe we should hire Paul Roos as our media manager or forward line coach: The issue with our forward line is a carryover from the past times, teams & administration. The players have really bad habits and they're not addressing them. The players aren't listening. We need to find players who can change the way we play. Brendan McCartney is still haunting our players games. The previous culture of losing or low scoring is too hard to turn around.

bornadog
02-09-2016, 09:56 AM
Maybe we should hire Paul Roos as our media manager or forward line coach: The issue with our forward line is a carryover from the past times, teams & administration. The players have really bad habits and they're not addressing them. The players aren't listening. We need to find players who can change the way we play. Brendan McCartney is still haunting our players games. The previous culture of losing or low scoring is too hard to turn around.

Shouldn't we be addressing delivery into the forward line. Maybe need to relook at the midfeild coaches.

Mantis
02-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Shouldn't we be addressing delivery into the forward line. Maybe need to relook at the midfeild coaches.

Maybe it isn't the coaching at all, perhaps we just start selecting players who can kick.

bornadog
02-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Maybe it isn't the coaching at all, perhaps we just start selecting players who can kick.

Fine if you can kick, but if you just bomb it in then same result.

We do need better kickers of the ball, no doubt about that.

jeemak
02-09-2016, 10:09 AM

Why does our Paul Roos give the fans a free pass? Surely we need to take some responsibility for our forward malaise.

Mantis
02-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Fine if you can kick, but if you just bomb it in then same result.

We do need better kickers of the ball, no doubt about that.

So better decision makers too.

1eyedog
02-09-2016, 10:23 AM

Ratten post Roughhead. Hawthorn lose their 70+ goal a season forward two years in a row in 2015 and still find a way to hit the scoreboard hard.

It's clearly and issue with our ability to hit targets, but here's 3 things that could change for the better that haven't.

1. The obvious one, play Boyd forward for 80% of game time.
2. Play Suckling on a wing to assist with forward entries
3. Play Tory Dickson forward rather than on a wing

I feel we should have also made more use of Daniel forward of centre.

There's little doubt Crameri and Cloke are going to make a huge difference next year.

Sedat
02-09-2016, 11:23 AM
2. Play Suckling on a wing to assist with forward entries
Like this suggestion a lot - hopefully we can start this on Thursday. He was never a great one-on-one defender at the best of times, and his leg cannon would be far better value to us forward of the centre.

1eyedog
02-09-2016, 11:34 AM
I note that Tory has played forward the past 2-3 weeks and we have been better for it.

Mofra
02-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Maybe a forward coach?

What we really need is a really good skills coach to improve our kicking and general disposal.
Swap Ash Hanson with Gia?

Gia gets experience with his own side (VFL), Hanson is a premiership winning forward.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Like this suggestion a lot - hopefully we can start this on Thursday. He was never a great one-on-one defender at the best of times, and his leg cannon would be far better value to us forward of the centre.

Yep. If Stringer keeps doing the running back at goal thing he's been doing all year, Suckling is about the only one with a long and accurate enough kick to get it to Stringer.

westbulldog
02-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Involve Lindsay Gilbee as a kicking coach.

azabob
02-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Involve Lindsay Gilbee as a kicking coach.

Isn't he an assistant at the Saints?

Axe Man
02-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Isn't he an assistant at the Saints?

Development coach, whatever that is.

Bulldog4life
02-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Swap Ash Hanson with Gia?

Gia gets experience with his own side (VFL), Hanson is a premiership winning forward.

I mentioned this a while ago yet on the other hand you do not have had to play in that position to coach it. Bevo was a backline coach at Hawthorn yet played as a forward pocket/rover.

craigsahibee
02-09-2016, 02:37 PM
I mentioned this a while ago yet on the other hand you do not have had to play in that position to coach it. Bevo was a backline coach at Hawthorn yet played as a forward pocket/rover.

In doing this it provides the defenders with insight as to how forwards might think and therefore ideas as to how to counter their actions. That's my theory anyway.

Bullies
04-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Yep. If Stringer keeps doing the running back at goal thing he's been doing all year, Suckling is about the only one with a long and accurate enough kick to get it to Stringer.

i don't think you will find Stringer running back at goal as that is the reason why he was given a spell. The opposition have worked him out and he was asked to change the way he played and didn't.

Axe Man
14-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Blake Caracella anybody? If he helped Tom Hawkins perhaps he could do the same for Boyd?

Geelong Cats assistant coach Blake Caracella to leave at season’s end (http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/afl/geelong-cats-blake-caracella-to-leave-cats-at-seasons-end-linked-to-richmond/news-story/2c31bdc74e04e92e2d14df45574f2156)

HIGHLY regarded Geelong assistant coach Blake Caracella will see out the Cats’ premiership campaign before leaving the club to pursue other coaching opportunities.

Caracella told key officials several weeks ago he planned to move on to a new club after seven years at the Cats.

But he will not jump ship until after Geelong’s season is finished and the Cats are approaching the situation as business as usual as they prepare for a preliminary final.

Richmond is looming as a frontrunner for Caracella’s services with his links to new football manager Neil Balme and coach Damien Hardwick.

Caracella worked under Balme at the Cats for five years and also played in Essendon’s 2000 premiership team alongside Hardwick.

An astute thinker of the game, Caracella was credited for helping mould Tom Hawkins into an All-Australian, best-and-fairest winning key forward, notably his work to straighten Hawkins’s goalkicking accuracy.

Caracella’s credentials were underlined last year when he was one of nine assistants accepted into the elite level-four coaching program run by the AFL.

The program is designed to prepare high-performing assistants for the rigours of taking on a potential senior coach position at an AFL club.

Ozza
14-09-2016, 06:09 PM
Blake Caracella anybody? If he helped Tom Hawkins perhaps he could do the same for Boyd?

Geelong Cats assistant coach Blake Caracella to leave at season’s end (http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/afl/geelong-cats-blake-caracella-to-leave-cats-at-seasons-end-linked-to-richmond/news-story/2c31bdc74e04e92e2d14df45574f2156)

HIGHLY regarded Geelong assistant coach Blake Caracella will see out the Cats’ premiership campaign before leaving the club to pursue other coaching opportunities.

Caracella told key officials several weeks ago he planned to move on to a new club after seven years at the Cats.

But he will not jump ship until after Geelong’s season is finished and the Cats are approaching the situation as business as usual as they prepare for a preliminary final.

Richmond is looming as a frontrunner for Caracella’s services with his links to new football manager Neil Balme and coach Damien Hardwick.

Caracella worked under Balme at the Cats for five years and also played in Essendon’s 2000 premiership team alongside Hardwick.

An astute thinker of the game, Caracella was credited for helping mould Tom Hawkins into an All-Australian, best-and-fairest winning key forward, notably his work to straighten Hawkins’s goalkicking accuracy.

Caracella’s credentials were underlined last year when he was one of nine assistants accepted into the elite level-four coaching program run by the AFL.

The program is designed to prepare high-performing assistants for the rigours of taking on a potential senior coach position at an AFL club.

Caracella himself was a beautiful set shot kick at goal. The only game I can remember him kicking badly for goal was in that fateful day where Carlton beat them in the 99' prelim. Very uncharacteristic performance.

Hard to know which assistant coaches are good or not, but he is certainly well credentialed.

The Doctor
14-09-2016, 07:45 PM
He would be a great get but if I were him I would go to Richmond as I'll probably have a senior job in 12 months.

But since he isn't me he should come to the Bulldogs and spend time with one of the best young coaches in the league.

He'll probably end up at Collingwood!

josie
14-09-2016, 11:55 PM
Heard on radio Blake C. Has signed up with Tigers as assistant coach.
Would love Gilbee as kicking coach.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
15-09-2016, 08:53 AM
I read somewhere that Paul Hudson is available

Bulldog Revolution
15-09-2016, 12:24 PM
Glad we wont get Blake - has an incredibly high opinion of himself

Axe Man
15-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Sanderson has officially joined Collingwood.

Axe Man
15-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Heard on radio Blake C. Has signed up with Tigers as assistant coach.
Would love Gilbee as kicking coach.

Caracella and Monty have both met with Richmond. Caracella probably ends up at Richmond but nothing official yet.

Glad we wont get Blake - has an incredibly high opinion of himself

Do you have inside info?

Throughandthrough
15-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Sanderson has officially joined Collingwood.

sucked in Pies

Twodogs
15-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Sanderson and Buckley are supposed to be great mates I read somewhere.

EasternWest
15-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Do you have inside info?

About his opinion of himself? I can field that one.

Went to a small bucks do - when I say I small I mean four of us. We went to the races and when we got there one of the guys goes to the buck "I hope you don't mind, I've invited Blake". So Caracella rocks up to this intimate bucks do and proceeds to spend the entire day talking about his favourite topic (Blake) and what his favourite topic (Blake) has been up to (Blake's hijinks).

When the races finished we decided to go to a pub afterwards. Blake was driving so he goes to get his car. We think, beauty no taxi. He rocks up and my friend jumps in the passenger seat while myself and the other two guys go to jump in the back. Blake goes: "oh there's no room, my suit is across the seats". I say to him "can't you just put it in the boot" and he says "nah it'll get creased. Seeya at the pub" and jumps in and drives off.

The next five hours were torture. 5 of us at a table in a pub listening to Blake talk about Blake's favourite subject (Blake). I was almost glad when the buck gave himself alcohol poisoning (I secretly think he did it on purpose just so he could get away) and the night was declared over. Guess who got a ride home in Blake's car? Guess who didn't?

Total, utter wanker. Insufferable.

Bulldog Revolution
15-09-2016, 06:06 PM

Went to a small bucks do - when I say I small I mean four of us. We went to the races and when we got there one of the guys goes to the buck "I hope you don't mind, I've invited Blake". So Caracella rocks up to this intimate bucks do and proceeds to spend the entire day talking about his favourite topic (Blake) and what his favourite topic (Blake) has been up to (Blake's hijinks).

When the races finished we decided to go to a pub afterwards. Blake was driving so he goes to get his car. We think, beauty no taxi. He rocks up and my friend jumps in the passenger seat while myself and the other two guys go to jump in the back. Blake goes: "oh there's no room, my suit is across the seats". I say to him "can't you just put it in the boot" and he says "nah it'll get creased. Seeya at the pub" and jumps in and drives off.

The next five hours were torture. 5 of us at a table in a pub listening to Blake talk about Blake's favourite subject (Blake). I was almost glad when the buck gave himself alcohol poisoning (I secretly think he did it on purpose just so he could get away) and the night was declared over. Guess who got a ride home in Blake's car? Guess who didn't?

Everything I'd suspected

EasternWest
15-09-2016, 06:07 PM
Everything I'd suspected

The three of us that were left at the race course seriously considered going elsewhere and leaving them to their lovefest.

S Coast Simon
16-09-2016, 08:10 AM
Suit more important than the Bucks mates says a lot about a person. If this is true you don't want that sort of person at the club.

LostDoggy
16-09-2016, 08:40 AM
We've got good IP from the successful Geelong and Hawthorn systems in our coaching ranks. The only long term consistently successful modern era system/team, who's ideas would theoretically add to the mix, is Sydney.

So, as an outsider, it makes sense to look at Sydney's coaching pool for potential talent.

Stewart Dew has steadily rose up the ranks at Sydney to be Senior Assistant. Has had 6 years there to add to playing experience in Premiership eras at Hawthorn and Port Adelaide.

Great resume, seems a good bloke and may be looking for another stint with a successful outfit before making the seemingly inevitable jump to a senior role.

He'd be the first on my list of prospective Monty replacements.

bornadog
16-09-2016, 09:45 AM
The three of us that were left at the race course seriously considered going elsewhere and leaving them to their lovefest.

Unbelievable story, what a bloody wanker he is. You did well to hang on for so long.

bornadog
26-09-2016, 05:33 PM

Has joined Richmond

LostDoggy
26-09-2016, 11:33 PM
Has joined Richmond

Should fit in well there.;)

1eyedog
27-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Will have a chance at the poisoned chalice when Hardwick gets the sack next year.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2016, 11:22 PM
Caro just said Monty will be at Brisbane. He's one of three being interviewed for the main job, but if he misses he will be there as a senior assistant. Was interviewed this week apparently. If he wasn't let go he'd not have had the chance to be final 3 or get the senior assistant job. Win-win it looks like now.

The Doctor
28-09-2016, 08:59 PM
Herald Sun reporting Steve Grace from Collingwood is on his way to us

azabob
28-09-2016, 09:02 PM

Anyone now much about him? I thought he got moved on from the Pies as Sanderson was coming in.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 09:03 PM

Looks like a solid citizen as an assistant. I wonder who we have in mind for the senior assistant role? Or promoting from within?

I wonder what his relationship with Travis Cloke is like?

comrade
28-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Looks like a solid citizen as an assistant. I wonder who we have in mind for the senior assistant role? Or promoting from within?

Wouldn't be shocked to see Hansen getting a gig as Bevo's assistant. Need to keep him at the club, very good operator.

S Coast Simon
29-09-2016, 10:23 AM
I think it might be Chris Maple senior assistant next year. Seems to be Bevo's right hand man in the box on game day

Axe Man
29-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Some further info on Steve Grace

Matthew Egan set to join Melbourne while Western Bulldogs add Steve Grace (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/matthew-egan-set-to-join-melbourne-while-western-bulldogs-add-steve-grace/news-story/66c48573d9ef53b93f83229c41485337)

THE Western Bulldogs are expected to add Steve Grace to Luke Beveridge’s 2017 coaching panel.

Grace recently departed Collingwood after three seasons, spending the final two as Nathan Buckley’s forward line coach.

And Melbourne has locked the highly-regarded Matthew Egan into a development position.

Egan will reunite with new Demons senior coach Simon Goodwin.

The pair worked together at Essendon with Egan spending five years at the Bombers and filling in as their senior coach when James Hird was sacked in 2015.

Dons football boss Rob Kerr said the club wanted to keep Egan.

The former Geelong star will work closely with Brendan McCartney in nurturing Melbourne’s glut of emerging talent.

Grace joined Buckley’s panel in 2015 after spending 2014 in a development role in.

He worked at Fremantle from 2011-13 as the Dockers’ forward development coach.

Grace led TAC Cup club Oakleigh Chargers from 2009-10, helping develop junior stars including West Coast’s Andrew Gaff.

Grace was also an assistant coach at Sandringham during the club’s VFL premiership run from 2004-06.

The Dogs have made minimal coaching changes since Beveridge arrived two years ago, but recently farewelled senior assistant Brett Montgomery.

Montgomery has since had a job interview at Richmond and applied for the vacant Brisbane Lions coaching post.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2016, 12:56 PM
So Grace was the forwardline coach for Travis Cloke. Is it a coincidence they're reunited? If Cloke had issues in being around Grace, it'd be very surprising with them both dogs now. Maybe they both spoke highly of each other and what they could do in a new environment.

Perhaps Gia gets moved to Footscray, Hansen to an assistant and Gracevto the forwardline coach.

bornadog
29-09-2016, 05:50 PM
So Grace was the forwardline coach for Travis Cloke. Is it a coincidence they're reunited? If Cloke had issues in being around Grace, it'd be very surprising with them both dogs now. Maybe they both spoke highly of each other and what they could do in a new environment.

Perhaps Gia gets moved to Footscray, Hansen to an assistant and Gracevto the forwardline coach.

Hansen to Senior Assistant perhaps.

Mantis
13-10-2016, 07:06 PM
Update on the WB website:

Maple - Head of coaching (there was some fancy name attached to his role - but basically support for coaching team and Bevo)

King - Backline

Corey - Mid

Hansen - Forward

Gia - stoppages & set plays

Bubba - Development

Grace - VFL

Jordan Russell (development) and Jamie Maddocks ( opp. analysis) continue.. No mention of Prismall.

ratsmac
13-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Interesting shake up considering we just won the premiership. If its not broke don't fix it is the the old saying. I guess it keeps the coaches jobs interesting and no chance of getting bored (if at all possible).

bulldogtragic
13-10-2016, 07:43 PM
I look forward to seeing what Hansen can do as the forwards coach, in particular.

SlimPickens
13-10-2016, 08:26 PM
Update on the WB website:

Maple - Head of coaching (there was some fancy name attached to his role - but basically support for coaching team and Bevo)

King - Backline

Corey - Mid

Hansen - Forward

Gia - stoppages & set plays

Bubba - Development

Grace - VFL

Jordan Russell (development) and Jamie Maddocks ( opp. analysis) continue.. No mention of Prismall.

Prismall is the player welfare manager. Not specifically a coaching role.

SlimPickens
13-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Interesting shake up considering we just won the premiership. If its not broke don't fix it is the the old saying. I guess it keeps the coaches jobs interesting and no chance of getting bored (if at all possible).

It had to be "shaken up" with Montgomery leaving however.

comrade
13-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Bont has given Corey a huge wrap in interviews. Glad to see we've got him locked away.

Also think Hansen has done a super job at Footscray. Will be a great asset in the box for Bevo.

bornadog
13-10-2016, 08:53 PM
Prismall is the player welfare manager. Not specifically a coaching role.

Plus he is still not allowed to be around the club till November.

Raw Toast
14-10-2016, 09:45 AM

It's pretty traditional I think to switch the assistant coaching tasks around - not only does it help them stay interested, it also helps them learn new skills that assist in developing their future coaching prospects, and hopefully also bring some (good) new ideas in.

Be nice to know a few more details about their contracts, but good to hear that this bunch of assistant coaches have committed to the club long term - they've helped Bevo do an amazing job so far.

lemmon
14-10-2016, 09:54 AM
It was pretty clear that Monty was 2IC after Bevo, is it Maple now?

SlimPickens
14-10-2016, 10:41 AM
It was pretty clear that Monty was 2IC after Bevo, is it Maple now?

That's how I read it. Well deserved for Maple, outstanding candidate.

Ozza
14-10-2016, 03:10 PM
That's how I read it. Well deserved for Maple, outstanding candidate.

Good Ballarat man too isn't he?

comrade
14-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Good Ballarat man too isn't he?

Yeah, he lives here. See him walking around Lake Wendouree at times.

Bulldog Revolution
16-10-2016, 09:04 AM
Good changes - Grace will bring a bit to the table and it's good to make some changes

Corey and King appear to have been good value and Hansen deserves his chance and for the others the changes round out their development

Throughandthrough
21-10-2016, 11:31 AM
a little (unconfirmed) whisper has Brett Montgomery moving back to Port Adelaide