PDA

View Full Version : The bye round was a fantastic idea. Up your arse West Coast. Well done AFEL.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Just thought I'd say what's I'm assuming we are all thinking. I feel kinda lost or empty, the season is over, but we're playing finals, but nothing is happening.

I'm not happy AFEL, but Brad Scott & NM did force their hand. But you got to fine them $70,000 this year. Call it even and return the fans momentum to enjoy the transition to finals and not this annoying suspension.

ledge
03-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Actually not minding it, women's game , legends game , VFL finals and a few local games you never see. Plenty of grass roots footy which to be honest is more engaging.

azabob
03-09-2016, 08:38 PM
Agree, feels like the season is over. At least we have a chance to regroup and hopefully we get a couple of injured players back.

I think i actually hate the prospect of the first final being played on a Thursday more than the bye round. I really liked the Sunday final.

ledge
03-09-2016, 08:59 PM
Watching the women's game, they definitely go in hard and their are very good marking skills but the kicking is atrocious. I'm enjoying the effort and can see a big future in it.

Twodogs
03-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Actually not minding it, women's game , legends game , VFL finals and a few local games you never see. Plenty of grass roots footy which to be honest is more engaging.

Yep. I'm enjoying watching those without the thought that there is something more important I should be worrying about. Enjoying is probably the wrong word when it came to Footscray today but I could concentrate on it properly.

The Adelaide Connection
03-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Watching the women's game, they definitely go in hard and their are very good marking skills but the kicking is atrocious. I'm enjoying the effort and can see a big future in it.

I blame the genius that thought it was a good idea to suddenly make them play with a smaller ball.

AndrewP6
03-09-2016, 09:10 PM
I don't mind it at all. EJ game last night, women's game tonight. Don't mind a week off, but Thursday night game for most is crap. I don't work Fridays, so it won't impact me much, but it's a dumb idea.

Flamethrower
03-09-2016, 09:27 PM
I have a feeling that the AFL will use the negativity towards the week off between the H&A season and the finals as an excuse to introduce a "wildcard" weekend next year.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2016, 09:33 PM
I have a feeling that the AFL will use the negativity towards the week off between the H&A season and the finals as an excuse to introduce a "wildcard" weekend next year.

I would completely lose my shit if that happens. That's such a horrible idea, well, it's probably likely.

Eastdog
03-09-2016, 09:45 PM
I'm watching the women's game as well. Whitten Oval looks in great shape. Roughy said that he feels jealous and wishes he could play a game out there. Also said he is doing some work with the VU Western Spurs. The EJ Whitten game is always fun and enjoyed that last night.

Back to the OP yes I as well would rather get straight into it. Would be bad for us especially if we have the momentum.

hujsh
03-09-2016, 10:47 PM

I would completely lose my shit if that happens. That's such a horrible idea, well, it's probably likely.
What would that be? A round where there's not set opponent and the AFL just makes one up?

bulldogtragic
03-09-2016, 10:54 PM
What would that be? A round where there's not set opponent and the AFL just makes one up?

Could be. Or, Something like 9th vs 10th for a finals spot. Or 7, 8, 9 & 10 play each other for the last two spots. Etc, etc.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
03-09-2016, 10:58 PM
I have enjoyed a break from emotional trauma caused by the Freo game

LostDoggy
04-09-2016, 12:21 AM
I'm kinda for the break. The Whitten/Womens game has filled the void nicely and Libba, Macrae, Campbell etc would certainly appreciate the extra time. A separation between the H&A season and finals feels appropriate for mine.

Twodogs
04-09-2016, 01:42 AM
I'm kinda for the break. The Whitten/Womens game has filled the void nicely and Libba, Macrae, Campbell etc would certainly appreciate the extra time. A separation between the H&A season and finals feels appropriate for mine.

That's the other thing I love about this particular week off is it gives our injured players an extra week to recover. It may not be long enough still but could you imagine having to turn it around and fly back to Perth and play this week?

bulldogtragic
04-09-2016, 09:02 AM

That's the other thing I love about this particular week off is it gives our injured players an extra week to recover. It may not be long enough still but could you imagine having to turn it around and fly back to Perth and play this week?

But you have to accept the other side too, when it helps opponents. If we win direct to a prelim we've played one game in 3 weeks. Or if we finally get a fit team for a first final and our opponents are thin, then they get the extra time to beat us. I think Bevo said something similar in that it works for us this year, but long term across the comp it's not ideal.

Twodogs
04-09-2016, 09:42 AM
But you have to accept the other side too, when it helps opponents. If we win direct to a prelim we've played one game in 3 weeks. Or if we finally get a fit team for a first final and our opponents are thin, then they get the extra time to beat us. I think Bevo said something similar in that it works for us this year, but long term across the comp it's not ideal.

The break won't last. It helps us this year is all I care about at the moment. We may or may not finish top 4 under this current system at some time in the future. We have finished 7th under this year.

V'ive the break!

ratsmac
04-09-2016, 10:28 AM
I have liked the bye simply because we as a team desperately needed it. Not only for our injured players but also to get a rest into the ones that have had to try cover the injured. The Freo game we looked knackered. Yeah we were undermanned but we were slow, real slow. Our skill were atrocious which I put down to fatigue.

For me personally I think I needed a rest. The injuries were getting to me as well. :p

As for the Thursday night final, well the AFE (Australian Football Entertainment) can go and get *<"(ed. They don't care about the fans, they only care about money. Honestly have they been waiting for the timid Bulldogs to play a final in Perth to pull a stunt like this knowing we'll just bend over and take it? I'd hate to imagine Collingwood being sent to Perth to play a final on a Thursday, we would never hear the end of Eddie rambling on. But at least he rambles.

This Thursday night bullshit has also pretty much ruled out any chance of the majority of Bulldogs supporters who might have wanted try make the trip to Perth. For me I can manage one day off work but any more is too much. Also this Thursday now I stay at home and watch it on TV, wow great atmosphere for a final.

Also we have suffered with our VFL side as well. With the 5 day turn around from the VFL final and the seniors final, we have had to pull players out that might only just be a consideration for the senior team at best just to be safe. With a 6 or 7 day turn around they would probably play and we'd have a better chance of winning.

Wow where did that come from.

Boy, that escalated quickly, I mean that really got out of hand fast!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-09-2016, 01:01 PM
It's healthy to vent

bulldogtragic
04-09-2016, 04:14 PM
It's healthy to vent

I think JFK once said something like 'those who make peaceful protest impossible, make violent revolution inevitable'. Venting with people who understand each other is very healthy. Losing heart breaking prelims together is a bit like 30 minutes before Jonestown ended, but better to be together I figure! :)

Scorlibo
04-09-2016, 05:29 PM
I thought it was a terrible idea, but now it's happening I'm actually enjoying it. There is something nice about every finals team being alive in the finals for at least two weeks, the build up is a good reward for having made the top 8 in an 18 team competition. I also don't buy in to the idea that it's a bad thing that the bye biases the lower ranked teams. Surely we all just want every team playing at their best in the finals, and the break is going someway towards making that a reality.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2016, 05:36 PM
I thought it was a terrible idea, but now it's happening I'm actually enjoying it. There is something nice about every finals team being alive in the finals for at least two weeks, the build up is a good reward for having made the top 8 in an 18 team competition. I also don't buy in to the idea that it's a bad thing that the bye biases the lower ranked teams. Surely we all just want every team playing at their best in the finals, and the break is going someway towards making that a reality.

I always suspected you were Gillon McLachan. Now I know it's you! :D

Twodogs
04-09-2016, 05:56 PM
I'm Spartacus!

bulldogtragic
04-09-2016, 05:57 PM
I'm Spartacus!

I'm Brian & so is my wife.

LostDoggy
04-09-2016, 10:25 PM
I'm Spartacus!

No, I'm Spartacus

LostDoggy
04-09-2016, 10:26 PM
I'm Brian & so is my wife.

Welease Woger the Wed Nose Weindeer

soupman
05-09-2016, 10:55 AM
I was sceptical at first but it's not too bad.

There's still heaps of footy about, most local competitions are starting or midway into their finals, weather is improving and it gives a chance for the womens match to take the headlines.

Maybe next year if they adopt the 17-5 model they have a weekend that features the bottom six sides with the top 12 all settled. Admittedly they are pretty shit sides but with something to play for their clashes could be interesting. I'd try and keep the Ej Whitten game and the ladies match around as well as I think both worked pretty well (although the former isn't a great standalone event).

Maybe something like:
Thursday: Ej Whitten game
Friday: Bottom 6 clash
Saturday day: Bottom 6 clash
Saturday night: Womens representative game
Sunday: Bottom 6 clash

That keeps footy ticking over for the weekend with no detrimental effect on teams playing finals. It gives the Womens match a standalone prime time fixture to make their own after a very encouraging performance this week which proved people want to watch. Again the extra week allows events like the AA dinner to be attended by all and clubs to get their players back to full health.

As for the Thursday final aside from the difficulty for our fans to attend a game in Perth I think it's an excellent idea. It means the wait for finals is slightly shorter, if they consistently schedule the match involving the most travel (Perth game usually) on that night it means that the effects of that trip are negated as much as possible. They schedule that clashes opponent on the Friday meaning both sides have a very similar break. And then the other two matches play off on the Saturday meaning they get an equal lead in. That means no teams have less than 7 days between clashes and it mitigates the effect of travel as much as possible. For all the drawbacks there is a lot of merit in it.

LostDoggy
05-09-2016, 11:05 AM
If we get Macrae, Wood and Libba back and beat the Eagles Thursday night this thread title better be changed quick smart.

Cyberdoggie
05-09-2016, 11:49 AM
I think it's been great, Great chance to connect with local football and highlight the women's game.

Also builds anticipation for the finals series.

LostDoggy
05-09-2016, 11:56 AM
I was sceptical at first but it's not too bad.

There's still heaps of footy about, most local competitions are starting or midway into their finals, weather is improving and it gives a chance for the womens match to take the headlines.

Maybe next year if they adopt the 17-5 model they have a weekend that features the bottom six sides with the top 12 all settled. Admittedly they are pretty shit sides but with something to play for their clashes could be interesting. I'd try and keep the Ej Whitten game and the ladies match around as well as I think both worked pretty well (although the former isn't a great standalone event).

Maybe something like:
Thursday: Ej Whitten game
Friday: Bottom 6 clash
Saturday day: Bottom 6 clash
Saturday night: Womens representative game
Sunday: Bottom 6 clash

That keeps footy ticking over for the weekend with no detrimental effect on teams playing finals. It gives the Womens match a standalone prime time fixture to make their own after a very encouraging performance this week which proved people want to watch. Again the extra week allows events like the AA dinner to be attended by all and clubs to get their players back to full health.

As for the Thursday final aside from the difficulty for our fans to attend a game in Perth I think it's an excellent idea. It means the wait for finals is slightly shorter, if they consistently schedule the match involving the most travel (Perth game usually) on that night it means that the effects of that trip are negated as much as possible. They schedule that clashes opponent on the Friday meaning both sides have a very similar break. And then the other two matches play off on the Saturday meaning they get an equal lead in. That means no teams have less than 7 days between clashes and it mitigates the effect of travel as much as possible. For all the drawbacks there is a lot of merit in it.
Good thoughts there Soupaman, although I doubt there'll be a Womens Rep clash as we'll have the Womens League up and running. They'll have a shorter season than the Mens League, wonder if their Grand Final could be on the Saturday night immediately before the finals? That'd be a big event.

1eyedog
05-09-2016, 01:56 PM
The bye has worked out really well for our injured players as noted, but far out the anticipation is killing me. No work done, can't see anything being done effectively until Friday actually. Not good for this supporter.

Bulldog4life
05-09-2016, 05:23 PM
Good thoughts there Soupaman, although I doubt there'll be a Womens Rep clash as we'll have the Womens League up and running. They'll have a shorter season than the Mens League, wonder if their Grand Final could be on the Saturday night immediately before the finals? That'd be a big event.

Be a long wait seeing how the Women's League is played in February and March. :)

Eastdog
05-09-2016, 05:27 PM
With the venues for the Women's Football Legaue will the play games at Etihad, Whitten Oval, Ikon Park etc - obviously not at the MCG as it will still be Cricket season.

Twodogs
05-09-2016, 07:00 PM
If we get Macrae, Wood and Libba back and beat the Eagles Thursday night this thread title better be changed quick smart.

Man. That's a job I'd love to do.

Sedat
05-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Worst idea by the AFL since the post-it note permission slips to come on and off the interchange bench

kruder
05-09-2016, 08:23 PM
The week off has given me hope...

Twodogs
05-09-2016, 09:20 PM
The week off has given me hope...

Yep. We are into the second week of the finals.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 12:12 AM
Just thought I'd say what's I'm assuming we are all thinking. I feel kinda lost or empty, the season is over, but we're playing finals, but nothing is happening.

I'm not happy AFEL, but Brad Scott & NM did force their hand. But you got to fine them $70,000 this year. Call it even and return the fans momentum to enjoy the transition to finals and not this annoying suspension.

Stopped their momentum. We got 5 players back. I love the bye round!! :D

whythelongface
09-09-2016, 12:16 AM
Stopped their momentum. We got 5 players back. I love the bye round!! :D

I'm with you BT. I have change my mind. Love it. Bring on the bye.

bornadog
09-09-2016, 12:20 AM
We love you Gil, great idea :D

Sedat
09-09-2016, 12:23 AM
It's certainly helped us but honestly, it is a shit idea. I hope it is banished for good after this year.

Twodogs
09-09-2016, 02:15 AM
It's certainly helped us but honestly, it is a shit idea. I hope it is banished for good after this year.

Yeah while I'm surprised, stunned, that it worked in our favour I know better than to push our luck and hope it ever happens again.

One and done.

Remi Moses
09-09-2016, 04:30 AM
I love this bye .

Eastdog
09-09-2016, 04:31 AM
Yes the bye can go both ways. For us it went the right way in this instance.

Twodogs
09-09-2016, 05:03 AM
I love this bye .

Yep. It's a good bye.

AndrewP6
09-09-2016, 08:41 AM
I don't mind it at all.

ratsmac
09-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Yep. It's a good bye.

Not for West Coast, no hang on yes it is! Hahahahahahaha

Twodogs
09-09-2016, 03:50 PM

Man. That's a job I'd love to do.

I forgot about this. What should we change the thread title too?

Twodogs
09-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Interim thread title.

Twodogs
09-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Even better.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Even better.

I see you've attributed the thread title to me.... :D

Bulldog Joe
09-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Well it was a fantastic idea BECAUSE it worked in our favour.

It should be immediately banished to prevent it helping anyone else.

However, I suspect the AFEL will make a decision based on the competitiveness of the finals. If we manage to go all the way and win the big dance they will probably retain it. But if it results in blowout prelims to the sides with the additional rest after winning the top 4 qualifying finals it will definitely be banished.

Twodogs
09-09-2016, 04:38 PM
Well it was a fantastic idea BECAUSE it worked in our favour.

It should be immediately banished to prevent it helping anyone else.

However, I suspect the AFEL will make a decision based on the competitiveness of the finals. If we manage to go all the way and win the big dance they will probably retain it. But if it results in blowout prelims to the sides with the additional rest after winning the top 4 qualifying finals it will definitely be banished.

If a team or two go deep into September and make prelims or even the GF from the elimination rounds then the AFEL would be crazy to get rid of the bye. Extends the footy year by a week saving the AFEL propaganda unit 168 hours worth of guff to feed to the media. That's gotta be good for tge environment.

Twodogs
09-09-2016, 04:39 PM
I see you've attributed the thread title to me.... :D

Noticed that. God knows how that happened.