PDA

View Full Version : Whitten Oval

Eastdog
03-09-2016, 10:04 PM
Watching it from TV the women's exhibition game tonight it looks in great shape. Like how it looks under lights. I know it has been brought up before but now with a functioning scoreboard, proper fencing etc could we host an AFL game there in the future - say play one home WO game per season for something to look forward to. What would it take to get it to AFL standard. Wouldn't it be great - remember they play at grounds in Cairns and Darwin and they aren't much any better than WO.

comrade
03-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Watching it from TV the women's exhibition game tonight it looks in great shape. Like how it looks under lights. I know it has been brought up before but now with a functioning scoreboard, proper fencing etc could we host an AFL game there in the future - say play one home WO game per season for something to look forward to. What would it take to get it to AFL standard. Wouldn't it be great - remember they play at grounds in Cairns and Darwin and they aren't much any better than WO.

Modern day fans wouldn't cop sitting on the wooden seats in the grand stand or standing around on the outer. There is literally one toilet that gets a hammering at a VFL game with less than 1000 in attendance.

Would love a Simonds Stadium multi-multi million dollar development of WO that brought AFL footy back there long term, but it's unlikely to ever happen.

Best bet is the ground continues to improve (a functioning scoreboard for example) and some VFL and Footscray night matches get played next year. Ground looked amazing under lights.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2016, 10:55 PM
We doing this again?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
03-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Will be the Women's home ground too I hope

Eastdog
03-09-2016, 11:02 PM
We doing this again?

Sorry BT I couldn't help myself I think I deep down know it's a dream.

LostDoggy
04-09-2016, 12:25 AM
Sorry BT I couldn't help myself I think I deep down know it's a dream.

Stick at it Easty. Stranger things have come to pass. A couple of years ago it was pretty much just a training track with history, now we get pre-season games, VFL games and womens games under lights. That's a good trend.

Sedat
04-09-2016, 01:04 AM
Paging Lantern....

Twodogs
04-09-2016, 01:34 AM
We doing this again?

The ground did look amazing under the lights tonight so it's as good a time as any to talk about it again.

I've been to the ground at Darwin for a bulldogs game and it's very similar to Whitten Oval in its dimensions, lay out and ground size. Even the locals are a bit the same. I think we could chip away, keep improving the ground, have more and bigger matches maybe not full AFL home and away games but NAB challenge games and maybe institute an annual practice match against the same opponent-maybe our friends at GWS would be interested? Maybe we could involve West Coast and have a "battle of the Wests" every couple of years-a round robin between us, GWS and WC?. Or even a match between Footscray and the Bulldogs. It could be the tradional opening of our preseason.

Grow the ground, institute traditions and help to secure our place in the competition with some original thinking.

It doesn't have to be AFL

1eyedog
04-09-2016, 08:23 AM

Yep keep the dream alive Easty.

bornadog
04-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Paging Lantern....

I miss Lantern

ledge
04-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Footscray played the western bulldogs in a practice match this year .. Well it was mixed.
The idea of the lights was for the VFL side and women's side to train as they also have other jobs and found it hard to train during the day .
But I believe we will have VFL and women's night games their .. The women's should all be night games in my opinion as the season is played in January/ February when it's quite warm still.
I asked the facilities manager about a permanent scoreboard next year and he said it won't happen, it was proposed for this year but the lights took priority for the reasons above.. The club should have a raffle or a donation scheme to raise money for a scoreboard. I think they would get a huge response as us VFL watchers are sick of squinting to see the score.
Would like to see an NAB game there but I think priority would be getting Ballarat more involved.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-09-2016, 12:59 PM
I would contribute to a decent scoreboard we couldn't see the present one from behind the goals last week ironically at the old scoreboard end

Twodogs
04-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Footscray played the western bulldogs in a practice match this year .. Well it was mixed.
The idea of the lights was for the VFL side and women's side to train as they also have other jobs and found it hard to train during the day .
But I believe we will have VFL and women's night games their .. The women's should all be night games in my opinion as the season is played in January/ February when it's quite warm still.
I asked the facilities manager about a permanent scoreboard next year and he said it won't happen, it was proposed for this year but the lights took priority for the reasons above.. The club should have a raffle or a donation scheme to raise money for a scoreboard. I think they would get a huge response as us VFL watchers are sick of squinting to see the score.
Would like to see an NAB game there but I think priority would be getting Ballarat more involved.

That game against Footscray was two preseasons ago. Footscray's first year it was. They haven't had one since. I'm surprised about the scoreboard because I knew Gordon was keen and he usually gets what he wants.

They had a NAB cup there last preseason I think and had to shut the gates. It wasn't like jowl to jowl though. I think they just shit tge gates so they could say that they had to shut the gates.

Eastdog
04-09-2016, 04:25 PM
I miss Lantern

Yes I remember Lantern. Had some very good posts.

boydogs
04-09-2016, 04:45 PM
Wouldn't it be great

It would be harder to get to for eastside supporters like yourself Easty

Eastdog
04-09-2016, 04:48 PM
It would be harder to get to for eastside supporters like yourself Easty

Public transport is very adequate to the Whitten Oval with West Footscray station just a short walk to the ground and you can always drive although parking would probably be limited.

Bulldog4life
04-09-2016, 05:27 PM
That game against Footscray was two preseasons ago. Footscray's first year it was. They haven't had one since. I'm surprised about the scoreboard because I knew Gordon was keen and he usually gets what he wants.

They had a NAB cup there last preseason I think and had to shut the gates. It wasn't like jowl to jowl though. I think they just shit tge gates so they could say that they had to shut the gates.

Hmmmm;)

Twodogs
04-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Hmmmm;)

Yes. I was wondering who'd spot that first.

I managed to put a g instead of a h in 'the'.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
05-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Leave the i there the gates aren't that good