PDA

View Full Version : Farren Ray

wimberga
18-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Next season, Where will Farren Ray be playing? will this be his breakout season?

Farren appears to have alot of natural talent and played well for the most part of last season. He can also be one to say that he does show courage in his playing, but i believe next season is going to see if he becomes more than just another player.

Will he play on the Wing as a Younger, more Defensive Nathan Eagleton?

LostDoggy
18-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Will be lucky to hold his spot unless his disposal improves. Best chance of cementing a regular game is as a hard working in and under midfielder. Unfortunately for Farren we have West, Cross and Boyd. He does appear to be naturally talented, not at footy, more a naturally talented athlete

BulldogBelle
18-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Farren appears to have alot of natural talent and played well for the most part of last season. He can also be one to say that he does show courage in his playing, but i believe next season is going to see if he becomes more than just another player.

He has been improving with each passing year, this could be his breakout year. Whilst he has taken a little longer to come on - he is definitely a valuable player to our team. Looking forward to seeing what he will produce this coming season.

Go_Dogs
19-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Ray was one player who I have been quite critical of at times during his years with us. I for one was not convinced after the Collingwood final, although I did like what I saw. However, the way he finished off 2007, with some more consistent (yet not outstanding) performances made me quite happy.

His intensity looks to be improving, on quite a few occasions he'd be the man to kick start us with our first goal, his defensive efforts are much improved, and his courage and overhead marking ability are strengths.

He does need to continue to work on his kicking, especially at pace, but I think it already is getting better than it was a few years ago.

I think his best spot is still on a wing, but wouldn't mind seeing him played off either a half back or half forward flank for something different. His marking and courage could be useful in either position.

The Underdog
19-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Will be lucky to hold his spot unless his disposal improves. Best chance of cementing a regular game is as a hard working in and under midfielder. Unfortunately for Farren we have West, Cross and Boyd. He does appear to be naturally talented, not at footy, more a naturally talented athlete

I agree that his disposal has to improve (more consistent delivery), but I disagree on his best chance of finding a spot is as an in an under mid. He has fantastic running ability and could quite easily play a running, linking role from HB to HF, playing on a wing. A more defensive oriented, two way Eagleton if you will. I think he has the ability to play a defensive stopping role, but needs to improve his application.
I think this is definitely a big year for him. He has to improve his consistency and become a more integral part of the team.

Cyberdoggie
19-12-2007, 01:46 PM
farren is a bit like sam power in that it's hard to find a role for him.

i can only see him playing as a tagger or midfielder but he has plenty to work on in that regard.

Farren impressed me when we drafted him, he was a ball magnet but i've since found some fatal flaws with him game.

His kicking action is woeful on both feet, particularly the left. He takes his guiding hand away from the ball too early, which makes it very difficult to control accurately, and if under pressure or spoiled he will clanger more often than not. This combined with his lanky running action make him a terrible kick of the pill. Eagleton has a similar problem but at least chooses not to kick on his right foot because it is so bad, farren seems to be oblivious to this and uses it at will.

Ray needs to follow cross's example and model himself as an in/under midfielder as he has great hands, is strong overhead and with some size could be very effective.

He has to either work on his faults until they are his strength's (if possible) or accept his limitations and model his game around his strengths.

dog town
19-12-2007, 04:37 PM
As a junior Ray was not only a runner but also won alot of the ball around the edge of the contest. He needs to adapt this part of his game to the elite level just to give his game something else to fall back on. Outside midfielders who miss targets and make poor decisions are not that valauble to us but if he can make himself into a more rounded player then he can make up for his deficiencies.

His strengths are his engine, marking ability and clean hands. He seems perfectly suited to playing as a genuine onballer/run with player provided he can win a little more ball around the contest.

I do not like him as an out and out winger for several reasons. Not only is he a poor kick of the footy (as outlined by Cyberdoggie) but he makes some poor decisions as well. His tendency to hold onto the footy for too long and either get caught or put himself under pressure is responsible for possibly 3 or 4 of my most frustrated moments of the season. I dont think its an awareness thing as he seems to be aware of the chaser he just likes to hold onto the footy until the last possible moment and it cost us dearly many times last season. Obviously he has been instructed to carry the footy but he doesn't have the skills under pressure to execute what he wants to do.

I am actually a fan of what Farren brings to the table. We just need to find a way to settle him down into a position and start profiting from his strengths as oppose to losing out on his weaknesses.

Bulldog Revolution
19-12-2007, 05:12 PM
I still have high hopes for Farren and he's been the subject of intense discussion with a couple of bulldog mates who dong think he'll ever get it, whereas I do believe he will address his weaknesses and become a very good player.

I think he is a natural as a goal kicking wingman who is a strong mark and who can lock down a dangerous opponent.

Part of my solution to him is for him to fully embrace a nickname - I think its time he was known as Razor. I am thinking maybe he should drop the last name and change his name to just become a man with onename: Razor

bornadog
19-12-2007, 05:19 PM
I still have high hopes for Farren and he's been the subject of intense discussion with a couple of bulldog mates who dong think he'll ever get it, whereas I do believe he will address his weaknesses and become a very good player.

I think he is a natural as a goal kicking wingman who is a strong mark and who can lock down a dangerous opponent.

Part of my solution to him is for him to fully embrace a nickname - I think its time he was known as Razor. I am thinking maybe he should drop the last name and change his name to just become a man with onename: Razor

He has shown alot of potential in the past, take a look at the Collingwood final and see how influencial he was with 29 disposals and several goals. Needs to show us this year what he is made of.

GVGjr
19-12-2007, 07:31 PM
I do not like him as an out and out winger for several reasons. Not only is he a poor kick of the footy (as outlined by Cyberdoggie) but he makes some poor decisions as well. His tendency to hold onto the footy for too long and either get caught or put himself under pressure is responsible for possibly 3 or 4 of my most frustrated moments of the season. I dont think its an awareness thing as he seems to be aware of the chaser he just likes to hold onto the footy until the last possible moment and it cost us dearly many times last season. Obviously he has been instructed to carry the footy but he doesn't have the skills under pressure to execute what he wants to do.

I am actually a fan of what Farren brings to the table. We just need to find a way to settle him down into a position and start profiting from his strengths as oppose to losing out on his weaknesses.

I pretty much agree with all this and thats why I'd like to see him be given a run off half back.
He was a victim of a game plan that asked him to carry the ball and kick precisely to out numbered forward line which isn't a strength of his.

Off half back all he needs to do is find the open midfielder which should be far easier for him. A swap with Gilbee would be my recommendation.

Cyberdoggie
20-12-2007, 03:19 PM
I pretty much agree with all this and thats why I'd like to see him be given a run off half back.
He was a victim of a game plan that asked him to carry the ball and kick precisely to out numbered forward line which isn't a strength of his.

Off half back all he needs to do is find the open midfielder which should be far easier for him. A swap with Gilbee would be my recommendation.

he's a strong overhead mark and very fit,
i can certainly see him playing off half back but the worry for me is his kicking on the run.
As i mentioned earlier his kicking has some major flaws.
On the other hand he may be under less pressure when he has the ball back there and may be less likely to turn the ball over directly. He also has a good penetrating kick.

Bulldog Revolution
20-12-2007, 06:06 PM
he's a strong overhead mark and very fit,
i can certainly see him playing off half back but the worry for me is his kicking on the run.
As i mentioned earlier his kicking has some major flaws.
On the other hand he may be under less pressure when he has the ball back there and may be less likely to turn the ball over directly. He also has a good penetrating kick.

I wonder if his kicking will be more exposed playing in defence? I can see him spending a lot of the time being dragged back to the goal line, and then if he misses targets coming out, will they will sail over his head for goals? Ideally he would be able to play as a rebounding defender and wingman, but for me he really needs to make the wing his spot.

hujsh
20-12-2007, 10:57 PM
I wonder if his kicking will be more exposed playing in defence? I can see him spending a lot of the time being dragged back to the goal line, and then if he misses targets coming out, will they will sail over his head for goals? Ideally he would be able to play as a rebounding defender and wingman, but for me he really needs to make the wing his spot.

That's right. remember some of McMahon's kicks last year. We would just be passing the clanger role to another player

Dogs 24/7
20-12-2007, 11:11 PM

I think the wing probably suits him better and I'm sure Eade and the coaches can work on his decision making and skills. I'm generally excited with the prospect of Ray improving to another level. With Gia doubtful, Ray becomes an important player for us.

Dancin' Douggy
22-12-2007, 12:59 PM
IMO Farren has freakish skills not solid skills. He is a lateral thinker not a straight ahead thinker. Running off half back or streaming down a wing you need straight thinking and solid skills. A long straight accurate kick to the first option is what is needed there and that's not what you get from Farren. He could be a freakish small forward. Good overhead, slippery in heavy traffic. nice quick hands and the lateral mind to wrong foot opponents, see opportunities others can't, and make something out of nothing. He's also a pretty good set shot. Problem is half the list are fighting for the 3 or 4 small forward spots.
Higgins may need to be groomed for a role further up the ground as his disposal is excellent all round and maybe we let Welsh take Johnno's spot and give him a break from getting crunched week in week out by 'gorillas'. Give Farren a run as a forward pocket and see what he can do. He's definitely got 'something' he's got "x factor' stamped all over him and we need players like that to create havoc in the forward line.
GO RAYZER

Dogs 24/7
23-12-2007, 02:34 PM
I like the suggestion of giving Ray a run as a forward DD and I think this is a good suggestion.

Harbrow_hero
23-12-2007, 02:45 PM
I like the suggestion of giving Ray a run as a forward DD and I think this is a good suggestion.

But what about his kickng?He has never looked like a top 10 draft pick to me.

Dancin' Douggy
23-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I bet he's one of those guys who kicks beautifully at training and 'loses it' on match days. I think he's better kicking under pressure; across his body; in awkward spots etc. The perfect skills for a small forward. He seems to conjure up a target when none seems obvious. But he doesn't look like he's settled in to league football yet and still runs around like a wiry sparky colt. When he's got too much time to think his kicking can be awful, but when he kicks instinctively it's not bad. And he's actually a pretty reliable set shot. He definitely hasn't looked like a number 4 pick so far but I still have faith.

LostDoggy
23-12-2007, 09:55 PM
But what about his kickng?He has never looked like a top 10 draft pick to me.

Thats a fair point but I think his set shots are OK. As for the top 10 comment I think this year will determine if he is going to be regarded as a quality player or not.

LostDoggy
24-12-2007, 06:28 PM
He has ramped up his training this preseason we will see a more committed Farren Ray in every aspects of his game. I hear that the coaching staff are very impressed with his work ethics.

GVGjr
24-12-2007, 07:01 PM
He has ramped up his training this preseason we will see a more committed Farren Ray in every aspects of his game. I hear that the coaching staff are very impressed with his work ethics.

Good to hear CD. I hope he has a good start to the season. Any indications where he will be played?

Dogs 24/7
25-12-2007, 02:19 PM

I rate Farren Ray as one of the players that could take a big step forward next year for us. I hope he is Eades plans as a key player for us.