PDA

View Full Version : Eastdog's Bankers & Anchors - EF 2016 - Vs West Coast Eagles

bulldogtragic
07-09-2016, 09:34 PM
This is the round EF 2016 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against WCE is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2016, 11:41 PM
B:

Bevo - Schooled Simpson tonight
Entire team - Cordy forcing McGovern to the ruck, Daniel, Picko the CM monster, Tom Boyd, Roughy, everyone. Full team effort.
Best finals win in my lifetime

A:

Jong's injury
WCE crowd. Arseholes.
The deliberate on Bonts.

EasternWest
08-09-2016, 11:42 PM
Banker

Our team and coach.
Liam Jones. The gift that keeps on giving.
Anchors

Jong's shoulder. Probably his last game for us. Sad face.

always right
08-09-2016, 11:52 PM
My mate has a new name for Caleb....."The Surgeon". I can't think of a better moniker. He was sensational and didn't waste a possession.
Picken and Dahlhaus.....huge performances.
Tom Boyd....low stats but huge impact.

Only anchor is Jong's injury.

whythelongface
08-09-2016, 11:56 PM
B

Joel Hamling - restricting Kennedy to two goals
Our ability to control the game. Rarely did the West Coast control any aspect of that game
Bevo's coaching was outstanding

Murphy'sLore
09-09-2016, 12:00 AM
I like the Surgeon -- clean, decisive, intelligent -- and quick. You don't have to be tall to be a surgeon.

Murphy'sLore
09-09-2016, 12:01 AM
Oh dear I really should go to bed. There's no more wine.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 12:03 AM
Oh dear I really should go to bed. There's no more wine.

Get a pizza delivery driver to drop some off and take tomorrow off! :D

Murphy'sLore
09-09-2016, 12:06 AM
I'm like everyone else, too hyped to sleep... Lucky I work from home... :) Looking forward to lots of positive Dogs talk tomorrow!

bornadog
09-09-2016, 12:10 AM
Bankers

The Whole team

Anchors

Another bloody injury

LostDoggy
09-09-2016, 12:46 AM
Bankers:

1. The little blokes! Absolutely killed it tonight. If you had told me that Dahlhaus, Picken and Daniel would basically win this game for us a week ago I would have laughed, but not believed a word of it.
2. Tom Boyd. I was really proud of him tonight. I thought some things started to click for him and he was involved enough for my liking. Positive signs.
3. How excited Murph and all the boys were at the siren/ walking off the ground. So freaking nice, made me all happy.

Anchors:
1. Western Australia.
2. West Coast Supporters.
3. Jong- poor dude. To get injured at this point in your career is just so unlucky.

Eastdog
09-09-2016, 04:05 AM
Bankers

Picken - in great form - took some great marks last night

Daniel - he was really good

Hunter, Dahl, T Boyd and just our whole team really

Anchors

The umpires at certain times

Jong injury - feel bad for Lin. Must be so frustrating especially getting injuries in the finals

Remi Moses
09-09-2016, 04:21 AM
Bankers - Team effort
- The coaching Masterclass
- The manic pressure.
Anchors - The sad sight of Lin on the bench
- Just reading Dockerland , and I'm not sure the West is United

azabob
09-09-2016, 08:31 AM
BANKERS

Liam Picken: Was best on ground when the whips were cracking and most importantly was able to kick our first goal after a few fairly easy misses.

Lachine Hunter: Equally important in the first half, got a lot of the footy and used it relatively well.

Caleb Daniel: Only wastes one possession in ten. Seriously a class player he manages to find time and space, his hands are so so so clean and soft.

Joel Hamling: Strong, athletic and now looks to have a sense of urgency. He and the guys in the back line did extremely well.

Anchors

Stringer, Suckling seemed a little off.

comrade
09-09-2016, 08:34 AM
B

Joel Hamling - restricting Kennedy to two goals
Our ability to control the game. Rarely did the West Coast control any aspect of that game
Bevo's coaching was outstanding

Just on Hammer. What a game. The only goals Kennedy kicked were from a Biggs miskick and a JJ free.

Smashed him.

SonofScray
09-09-2016, 08:37 AM
B:
1. Roughie's mark & goal. Incredible moment from the big fella.

2. Tackling pressure, we beat them up. Pounded them.

4. Picken's first 15 minutes was a huge factor, he set the tone.

A:
1. Umpires continually paying bullshit deliberate decisions on Bont,

2. Jong injury, felt for him.

3.Jack Darling. Shit his pants late in the game which was great for us, but I hate the sight of his smart ass face so felt like hanging him.

ratsmac
09-09-2016, 10:46 AM
Bankers

1. Liam Picken - he is built for finals football. He was sensational in that first quarter.

2. Caleb Daniel - if the RS award was next Tuesday he wins it. What a terrific game from Caleb. He does not waste a possession. He's the new upgraded version of Sam Mitchell.

3. Tom Boyd - he was using his size to impact contests. He kept at it all game to. Tom Boyd is getting fitter!

Can I please do another 19 bankers?

Anchors

1. Lin Jong's injury - such a shame for him because he is a good finals player. I really felt sorry for him when he was in tears in the bench.

2. The umpire that paid that deliberate against Bontempelli. That was almost as bad as the deliberate paid against Acker in that final against Stkilda.

3. Definitely West Coast booing. The thought they were getting a raw deal. There were so many more frees that the umpires could of paid to us but they were too scared because of the west coast crowd. Sore losers.

Mofra
09-09-2016, 10:51 AM
Bankers:

Tom Boyd - worth every cent? Made his presence felt

Scoring - almost 100 points tonight. When Roughy is kicking them from 50m on the run and Hunter is nailing set shots something is going right

Dalrymple. What? Caleb Daniel was BOG with a 3rd round pick, next best were Dahlhaus (rookie) and rookies before his era, Picken & Boyd.

Anchors - too bloody happy to worry about it.

westbulldog
09-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Bankers :
Caleb Daniel adds to the sublime skill of Greg Williams with speed as well.
Luke Dalhaus - the most resilient and intense small forward running around.
15,000 Westcokers left by the 20 minute mark of the last 1/4............ front runners.

Anchors:
Lin's injury, hope he stays with us in 2017.

Ozza
09-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Will be hard to keep this to 3.....so in the interests of brevity...you can assume I feel the same way as everyone about CD35 and Dahlhaus.

Bankers:

Liam Picken - when the game was there to be won, he was absolutely outstanding. He just did it all, including kicking the ball as good as he ever has. He's just an absolute warrior for us. A great bulldog.

Tom Boyd - I was so impressed with his game. He played tougher for us than he ever has before, and hit contests and ground balls with a real presence and feeling. When 4 eagles flew with him - and the spillage created a goal - THAT is what we have missed in many finals before. If he kicks those two goals, rather than narrowly missing them - then its a 'breakout game'....but I'm really happy with how he attacked his first final.

Matthew Boyd - just a warrior. And his clean hands, wow. There was one time when he was sprawled out on the floor and I don't know how he did it, but just seemed to hold himself up a little bit on his core to get a lightning handball out. Just absolute commits 100% of himself to winning every contest.

Anchors:

- No bulldogs anchors apart from poor Jongy.
- Greg Denham for the disrespectful way that he potted our side, Tom Boyd and Jake Stringer yesterday on SEN. We've earned more respect by the way that we've dealt with our bad luck this season, than the bile he dished up yesterday. (On the other hand - worth noting that I heard Mike Sheehan on radio just before the game say that he though the bulldogs would win, and he mentioned the over reaction to 1 bad week - and praised our efforts over the season...Mike's still the best).
- Me for only backing the dogs 1-39 margin!

Happy Days
09-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Bankers

Caleb Daniel - There is no window too small for him to fit a football in. I would back Caleb to kick a ball through the open windows of a car going down the Eastern Freeway

Hamling - Doesn't suck! Is actually pretty good! Who knew?

Roughead - That goal, wow. Iced the game and looked fantastic doing it.

Anchors

No Dogs anchors this week. What a performance.

West Australian crowd - Booing injured players is the calling card of someone who thinks that it isn't racist to vilify Muslims because Muslims aren't a race. Hopefully no men hit any women for cheering last night.

Darling/Le Cras/Yeo - Never felt more comfortable in my life than seeing Yeo with the ball 15 out straight in front. September isn't for these guys

comrade
09-09-2016, 12:54 PM
So many Bankers but I'll pick 3 of my favourite moments.

1. Biggs gut running to defend the Lycett kick into the corridor which set up Dunks.
2. Roughy' s goal was the moment that destroyed the will of the Eagles.
3. Tom Boyd smashing through some Eagles with a somersault to get the ball to Clay who goaled and gave us all the momentum.

LostDoggy
09-09-2016, 01:52 PM
1. The relentless pressure sustained for the whole game. e.g tackle by Suckling in the goal square when West Coast Player tried a sneaky play on.
2. We didn't stop kicking goals in any 1/4 which we've done during the year.
3. The whole team were exceptional. Players were kept quiet and clearly tagged just meaning others had to be let loose meaning our breadth of talent is difficult to shut down.

Anchors
1. Didn't fly to Perth and get to see the game in person
2. Had Money on Dickson for first goal and a mate on Smith and they missed the opportunity. (Don't really care though we play another week into finals)

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 02:21 PM
Extra banker: Dunkley realising we had a centre bounce with no ruckman and took the responsibility to contest it. He didn't win it, but a first year kid to look around and step up to take it says to me he will fight for the team no matter the odds. A couple of goals in a debut final is quite the debut final. And also his noisy footsteps that Darling heard coming and bailed out of the contest. He must know what Dunkley does best... Pain.

Ozza
09-09-2016, 02:25 PM
Extra banker: Dunkley realising we had a centre bounce with no ruckman and took the responsibility to contest it. He didn't win it, but a first year kid to look around and step up to take it says to me he will fight for the team no matter the odds. A couple of goals in a debut final is quite the debut final.

Haha - I was going to put this in as an anchor because we (Roughy/Boydy/the bench) stuffed up the rotation so early in the game! But good on Dunks for having a dip.

The bulldog tragician
09-09-2016, 02:26 PM
1. Picken, Dahl were just possessed in the first half in particular. Such ferocious determination. Outstanding.
2. So happy to see Rough play his heart out. His pre season form was a worry but he's been an unsung hero.
3. Don't think he's been mentioned much but a quality game from (i think) the youngest bloke out there. Dunkley.

Anchors

1.The Age coverage was mediocre. Where is the 10 page liftout, covering interviews with everyone from Lin Jong's mum to how our medical staff achieved last night's miracle?
2. I wasn't there
3. The endless media coverage of our crap performances in Perth, how many goals Josh K has kicked on us, the constant disrespect for our club. Yet even that is more of an anchor, making the result even sweeter...

Ozza
09-09-2016, 02:33 PM
1. Picken, Dahl were just possessed in the first half in particular. Such ferocious determination. Outstanding.
2. So happy to see Rough play his heart out. His pre season form was a worry but he's been an unsung hero.
3. Don't think he's been mentioned much but a quality game from (i think) the youngest bloke out there. Dunkley.

Anchors

1.The Age coverage was mediocre. Where is the 10 page liftout, covering interviews with everyone from Lin Jong's mum to how our medical staff achieved last night's miracle?
2. I wasn't there
3. The endless media coverage of our crap performances in Perth, how many goals Josh K has kicked on us, the constant disrespect for our club. Yet even that is more of an anchor, making the result even sweeter...

In today's printed version - there isn't anything about the game because they must go to print so early.
I'm not sure why they need to go to print so early, given that its only about 40 pages now.

Cyberdoggie
09-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Just on Hammer. What a game. The only goals Kennedy kicked were from a Biggs miskick and a JJ free.

Smashed him.

I think the pressure up the ground had a lot to do with it. We made them panic and bomb the ball which is perfect for us. The coupld of occasions they were able to move the ball quick they got it to Kennedy and he was just too quick for Hamling. But he did well.

Bankers:
Caleb Daniel: was so dangerous forward of the center and set up many a goal.
Dickson: Was back to his best for the first time this year, his pressure was back, his accuracy and confidence. His goals really set us up, if he had missed them we may of dropped our heads and let them in.
The umpires: Not often said but for the most part they did a great job. They paid most of the free kicks that were there for us and didn't listen to the crowd.

Anchors:
Biggs - Has really tapered off a bit as year has gone and his kicking was woeful early. Don't like it when he kicks off one step into dangerous areas. Get on your bike, draw the player and the spaces will open up.
Jong - Really bad luck for him. He's a big game player and was doing well. Didn't react like a man who wants out of the club.

bornadog
09-09-2016, 05:39 PM
In today's printed version - there isn't anything about the game because they must go to print so early.
I'm not sure why they need to go to print so early, given that its only about 40 pages now.

They shifted their print presses up the country. Its a bloody joke. Same happens with Saturdays paper, nothing on the Friday night match.

The bulldog tragician
09-09-2016, 06:08 PM
They shifted their print presses up the country. Its a bloody joke. Same happens with Saturdays paper, nothing on the Friday night match.

My copy did include a match review. (I hate the fact that usually there is nothing about a match played the night before).But it was seriously lame. I didn't feel it gave us much credit or was even a particularly good analysis of what happened.