PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs' $50,000 Ward mistake - Herald Sun

Sedat
07-09-2016, 10:48 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/callan-ward-would-still-be-a-western-bulldogs-player-if-not-for-a-bungled-contract-negotiation/news-story/86cdc83574ffacee96ff6042f46d2e6f

Yep, it still stings after all these years. And it was so unnecessary to low-ball such a small amount on your best U-21 player on the list in any event.

JMac has been a fantastic list manager - shame he came on board too late to stop this piece of amateur hour idiocy.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2016, 10:51 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/callan-ward-would-still-be-a-western-bulldogs-player-if-not-for-a-bungled-contract-negotiation/news-story/86cdc83574ffacee96ff6042f46d2e6f

Yep, it still stings after all these years.

And some people blame him for leaving... How some kept their jobs or reputation after that is mind boggling. If we do have the reported $800,000 set for Hurley, I'd have Ward back in a heartbeat. What a god damn cluster *!*!*!*!.

bornadog
07-09-2016, 10:58 PM
Some people on this forum wondered why a bunch of us never liked Fantasia - this story is proof of our lack of list management and incompetence at the time.

KT31
07-09-2016, 11:03 PM
Fantasia and Clayton had continued at our club, I very much doubt we would still exist.

jeemak
07-09-2016, 11:05 PM
I think I'm glad this story is behind a pay wall. My cat certainly is.

KT31
07-09-2016, 11:09 PM

Your cats behind a paywall ?

azabob
07-09-2016, 11:11 PM
$285K offered, he wanted $335K. Last minute ditch attempt we offered $400K but was too late.

BulldogBelle
07-09-2016, 11:11 PM

INSPIRATIONAL Greater Western Sydney skipper Callan Ward would still be a Western Bulldog if not for $50,000 per season and a bungled contract negotiation.

Insiders have lifted the lid on the talks that broke down in 2011 and allowed the Giants to swoop with a godfather offer.

Ward, a lifelong Dogs fan raised in Yarraville, was desperate to stay at Whitten Oval and would’ve recommitted for $1 million over three seasons.

Contract talks were put off by Ward and his manager, Paul Connors, after the Dogs proposed a complicated deal dependant on a rise in the salary cap and the additional services allowance.

Ward, 26, is earning about $800,000 per season at the Giants and will lead them in Saturday night’s blockbuster qualifying final against Sydney.
Callan Ward leading out Greater Western Sydney against the Western Bulldogs. Picture. Phil Hillyard

The Herald Sun has been told the Dogs former administration lowballed Ward with an offer of about $285,000 per season.

Ward was prepared to stay for about $335,000 a year.

The delay allowed GWS to blow the Dogs out of the water.

By the time the Bulldogs panicked and upped their offer to $400,000, Ward had already committed to the Giants.

“He wanted to stay and he would’ve stayed,” a source close to the negotiations told the Herald Sun.

“But it was too late. He’d already committed.”

The Dogs received a first-round pick as compensation, which they used on wingman Jack Macrae in the 2012 draft.

Melbourne received two first-round selections for the loss of Tom Scully to the Giants, helping land powerful spearhead Jesse Hogan.

The Dogs argued they were short-changed in comparison, with list boss Jason McCartney — who was not at the club at the time — believing a second first-round pick was warranted.

The Bulldogs and Adelaide (Nathan Bock and Phil Davis) were the only clubs to lose star players to both expansion clubs in a list management disaster.

The year before Ward’s exit hard-running defender Jarrod Harbrow was poached by Gold Coast, while GWS also pinched Sam Reid.
Callan Ward playing for the Western Bulldogs in 2010.

Former football boss James Fantasia and chief executive Campbell Rose were in power at the time.

Rose departed in December, 2010.

The Dogs are the league’s best contested footy side, but Ward has won more contested ball and more clearances than every Bulldogs player this season.

Ward has played 105 out of a possible 110 games for the Giants and was their inaugural captain and best-and-fairest winner.

The Dogs also handed former Geelong player Nathan Djerrkura a three-year contract in 2011 and previously cost themselves extra dollars in the salary cap when re-signing Brian Lake, Daniel Cross and Tom Williams.

BulldogBelle
07-09-2016, 11:12 PM
l had heard rumors that this was a total balls up by Fantasia and co, which has now been confirmed.

bornadog
07-09-2016, 11:13 PM
I remember Rocket warned Fantasia we will lose him and the reply was it was all in hand. Cam Rose was no better when it came to players and he should never ever have been involved in anything on the football department side.

Bulldog4life
07-09-2016, 11:14 PM
Calum was a bumber fan but why spoil a good story etc etc etc

hujsh
07-09-2016, 11:36 PM
We got a pretty good player in return at least.

Webby
07-09-2016, 11:42 PM
Calum was a bumber fan but why spoil a good story etc etc etc

That's correct. He was a Bumbers fan. His grandfather played with the Swans and coached Yarraville, whilst his dad played for the Dogs U/19's and later Yarraville. Local kid from Williamstown, but just another kool-aid drinker.

Shouldn't have lost him, but hindsight's a wonderful thing. Macrae (or is it Jakey? - we'll never actually know) was reasonable compo.

KT31
07-09-2016, 11:44 PM
Press seem to have a infatuation with our player payments and our stuff ups, hardly a mention on Fevs Multi million Brisbane deal or other teams @&$: ups.

jeemak
07-09-2016, 11:46 PM
Is this really all the HUN could throw at us on the eve of our first final? They must be saving the Tom Boyd contract canning for week two if we make it, or Friday morning if we don't.

Yes we knew we low balled Ward, and botched it. Yes, we figured it wasn't a huge amount, less than $100k per season at the time. But this has been done to death and we are a better club now than we were then.

The fact the HUN bullshits about him being a Dogs fan, and not from a Kevin Sheedy fan boy family leans to the relevance of this matter at this particular time.

Twodogs
07-09-2016, 11:47 PM
We got a pretty good player in return at least.

Yep. At least it wasn't a complete balls up and we salvaged Jack out of it.

God that article is depressing reading.

GVGjr
07-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Some people on this forum wondered why a bunch of us never liked Fantasia - this story is proof of our lack of list management and incompetence at the time.

He wasn't the only problem. The coach dropped the ball big time as well.

KT31
07-09-2016, 11:48 PM
That's correct. He was a Bumbers fan. His grandfather played with the Swans and coached Yarraville, whilst his dad played for the Dogs U/19's and later Yarraville. Local kid from Williamstown, but just another kool-aid drinker.

Shouldn't have lost him, but hindsight's a wonderful thing. Macrae (or is it Jakey? - we'll never actually know) was reasonable compo.

Don't agree on hindsight it's a major $&@/ up, we all new he what he was going to be and Ward would most likely be our captain now.
Wards now proven and I'm not sure I still wouldn't pick him over the other two.

Sedat
08-09-2016, 12:05 AM

Just for you Jeemak:

INSPIRATIONAL Greater Western Sydney skipper Callan Ward would still be a Western Bulldog if not for $50,000 per season and a bungled contract negotiation.

Insiders have lifted the lid on the talks that broke down in 2011 and allowed the Giants to swoop with a godfather offer.

Ward, a lifelong Dogs fan raised in Yarraville, was desperate to stay at Whitten Oval and would’ve recommitted for $1 million over three seasons.

Contract talks were put off by Ward and his manager, Paul Connors, after the Dogs proposed a complicated deal dependant on a rise in the salary cap and the additional services allowance.

Ward, 26, is earning about $800,000 per season at the Giants and will lead them in Saturday night’s blockbuster qualifying final against Sydney.
Callan Ward leading out Greater Western Sydney against the Western Bulldogs. Picture. Phil Hillyard
The Herald Sun has been told the Dogs former administration lowballed Ward with an offer of about $285,000 per season.

Ward was prepared to stay for about $335,000 a year.

The delay allowed GWS to blow the Dogs out of the water.

By the time the Bulldogs panicked and upped their offer to $400,000, Ward had already committed to the Giants.

“He wanted to stay and he would’ve stayed,” a source close to the negotiations told the Herald Sun.

“But it was too late. He’d already committed.”

The Dogs received a first-round pick as compensation, which they used on wingman Jack Macrae in the 2012 draft.

Melbourne received two first-round selections for the loss of Tom Scully to the Giants, helping land powerful spearhead Jesse Hogan.

The Dogs argued they were short-changed in comparison, with list boss Jason McCartney — who was not at the club at the time — believing a second first-round pick was warranted.

The Bulldogs and Adelaide (Nathan Bock and Phil Davis) were the only clubs to lose star players to both expansion clubs in a list management disaster.

The year before Ward’s exit hard-running defender Jarrod Harbrow was poached by Gold Coast, while GWS also pinched Sam Reid.

Former football boss James Fantasia and chief executive Campbell Rose were in power at the time.

Rose departed in December, 2010.

The Dogs are the league’s best contested footy side, but Ward has won more contested ball and more clearances than every Bulldogs player this season.

Ward has played 105 out of a possible 110 games for the Giants and was their inaugural captain and best-and-fairest winner.

The Dogs also handed former Geelong player Nathan Djerrkura a three-year contract in 2011 and previously cost themselves extra dollars in the salary cap when re-signing Brian Lake, Daniel Cross and Tom Williams.

bornadog
08-09-2016, 12:07 AM
incorrect

The Bulldogs Bite
08-09-2016, 12:15 AM
Meh, we now have two of the best in the business (Dal and JMac) and I'd rather Macrae over Ward.

Next.

Doc26
08-09-2016, 12:50 AM
Is this really all the HUN could throw at us on the eve of our first final? They must be saving the Tom Boyd contract canning for week two if we make it, or Friday morning if we don't.

Yes we knew we low balled Ward, and botched it. Yes, we figured it wasn't a huge amount, less than $100k per season at the time. But this has been done to death and we are a better club now than we were then.

The fact the HUN bullshits about him being a Dogs fan, and not from a Kevin Sheedy fan boy family leans to the relevance of this matter at this particular time.

And yet this article is co written by Sam Landsberger, a mad keen Bulldog supporter, with enough access to Club Intel where he should've got his facts correct. I'm assuming just an oversight by Sam on this occasion.

FrediKanoute
08-09-2016, 01:36 AM
No matter which way you cut it, we have been lucky that the balls up didn't cost us even more.

imagine if we have chosen poorly at the draft or traded away one or both of the picks? or if Macrae's improvement had stalled or Stinger didn't recover from his injury? better the bird in your hand than the 2 in the nest - we had a gun player on our list and we gambled, poorly. The fact we haven't been burnt worse is as much luck as it is judgement.

Remi Moses
08-09-2016, 03:22 AM
I think this is something we already knew

chef
08-09-2016, 08:56 AM
Is the Herald/Sun now based in Perth?

Greystache
08-09-2016, 09:23 AM

That's not going to be popular.

1eyedog
08-09-2016, 09:26 AM

Or isn't?

I've got a good cat joke.

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar and doesn't.

How good would we be with Callan in the side. He's Jong / Koby on steroids as a footballer. The best of that type.

bornadog
08-09-2016, 09:39 AM
Meh, we now have two of the best in the business (Dal and JMac) and I'd rather Macrae over Ward.

Next.

I am with you, Macrae way better than Ward.

Topdog
08-09-2016, 09:57 AM
I am with you, Macrae way better than Ward.

Seriously? Ward is elite.

Topdog
08-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Honestly losing Ward worked out better for us IMO. Big chance we miss out on Bont if we kept Ward as I think we easily win a game or 2 more in 2013 with Ward.

KT31
08-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Honestly losing Ward worked out better for us IMO. Big chance we miss out on Bont if we kept Ward as I think we easily win a game or 2 more in 2013 with Ward.

I will take this as the silver lining, for that matter anyone just use ' 3 degrees of separation with Bonts ' to any future negative Doggies articles printed in the future.

bornadog
08-09-2016, 10:27 AM
Seriously? Ward is elite.

Macrae is underrated.

comrade
08-09-2016, 10:29 AM

I knew about Fantasia but wasn't aware of Eade's involvement. Given you know more, care to elaborate?

Webby
08-09-2016, 10:36 AM
We're just lucky Dalrymple's shot the lights out since then. People also forget that it wasn't necessarily Macrae that we got with the Ward compo pick. When you have the 5th & 6th picks, it doesn't really matter who goes first. You pick the two you want and call them out in any old order.

When you look at it, had we only had pick 5, would we have gambled on Jake and his badly broken leg, or gone with the less spectacular, but safer Macrae?

We'll never know. Although Jake's last 2-3 months have been poor, he was an All Australian as a 21 year old last year. Let's not forget that. Yes, the club stuffed up with Ward, but we've fallen on our feet.

Incidentally, whilst we were losing Ward, we were picking up Dahlhaus on the Rookie List, JJ with a deep pick, then several gun Father/Sons, Caleb Daniel with a deep pick etc.

It's so quintessentially Doggies fan to keep beating yourselves up over the one that got away... And dare I say particularly negative and defeatist on the eve of a big final.

We've got nothing to lose tonight. We've rolled the dice and we may just shock the country. How about the media just let us focus on that? FFS!! We've got perhaps the best young list in the country and will be doing our damndest to hold onto them.

bornadog
08-09-2016, 10:55 AM
We're just lucky Dalrymple's shot the lights out since then. People also forget that it wasn't necessarily Macrae that we got with the Ward compo pick. When you have the 5th & 6th picks, it doesn't really matter who goes first. You pick the two you want and call them out in any old order.

When you look at it, had we only had pick 5, would we have gambled on Jake and his badly broken leg, or gone with the less spectacular, but safer Macrae?

We'll never know. Although Jake's last 2-3 months have been poor, he was an All Australian as a 21 year old last year. Let's not forget that. Yes, the club stuffed up with Ward, but we've fallen on our feet.

Incidentally, whilst we were losing Ward, we were picking up Dahlhaus on the Rookie List, JJ with a deep pick, then several gun Father/Sons, Caleb Daniel with a deep pick etc.

It's so quintessentially Doggies fan to keep beating yourselves up over the one that got away... And dare I say particularly negative and defeatist on the eve of a big final.

We've got nothing to lose tonight. We've rolled the dice and we may just shock the country. How about the media just let us focus on that? FFS!! We've got perhaps the best young list in the country and will be doing our damndest to hold onto them.

JJ was a rookie.

Sedat
08-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Whoever was involved in list management and individual player contracts at the time - be it Fantasia/Rocket/Smorgon/Rose/the bootstudder - let the club down so horribly and so ineptly in this instance. Would be fair to say that Fantasia's role as head of football and list management, and the person directly responsible for player contract negotiations after Clayton left, would make him far and away the most culpable.

We've done exceptionally well to minimise the damage with our shrewd recruiting and drafting since then. But no supporter should ever be happy with a club botching such a situation in amateur hour circumstances. We're not talking about a plodder like Levi Greenwood holding his former club to ransom after one good year - Ward was at the time emerging competition elite, which has been well and truly verified by his GWS output, and his contractual expectations at the time were entirely commensurate with his output, let alone the expected (and delivered in spades) excellence of performance since then.

bornadog
08-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Whoever was involved in list management and individual player contracts at the time - be it Fantasia/Rocket/Smorgon/Rose/the bootstudder - let the club down so horribly and so ineptly in this instance. Would be fair to say that Fantasia's role as head of football and list management, and the person directly responsible for player contract negotiations after Clayton left, would make him far and away the most culpable.

We've done exceptionally well to minimise the damage with our shrewd recruiting and drafting since then. But no supporter should ever be happy with a club botching such a situation in amateur hour circumstances. We're not talking about a plodder like Levi Greenwood holding his former club to ransom after one good year - Ward was at the time emerging competition elite, which has been well and truly verified by his GWS output, and his contractual expectations at the time were entirely commensurate with his output, let alone the expected (and delivered in spades) excellence of performance since then.

You can add letting Harbrow go in there as well.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2016, 11:57 AM
You can add letting Harbrow go in there as well.

I'd almost kill to have both of them right now.

comrade
08-09-2016, 12:06 PM

If it makes you feel better, we probably wouldn't have Bont if we had both of them.

Butterfly effect and all.

Stefcep
08-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Well GWS have to suffer watching that hair style, so that's a win for us.

Greystache
08-09-2016, 12:10 PM
I knew about Fantasia but wasn't aware of Eade's involvement. Given you know more, care to elaborate?

There's a couple of elements and I'll let GVG elaborate, but Ward didn't feel any great affection to the Bulldogs which might otherwise have tipped the scales towards staying. He didn't appreciate being constantly belittled by the senior coach and didn't feel overly valued as a developing senior player. He also didn't enjoy being screamed at incoherently every week because the coach couldn't keep control of himself on game day. Eade being moved on may have been enough to convince him to stay, but by the time it happened, he'd been signed up to GWS for months.

comrade
08-09-2016, 12:15 PM

There's a couple of elements and I'll let GVG elaborate, but Ward didn't feel any great affection to the Bulldogs which might otherwise have tipped the scales towards staying. He didn't appreciate being constantly belittled by the senior coach and didn't feel overly valued as a developing senior player. He also didn't enjoy being screamed at incoherently every week because the coach couldn't keep control of himself on game day. Eade being moved on may have been enough to convince him to stay, but by the time it happened, he'd been signed up to GWS for months.

So he would've been happy to stay and get screamed at for an extra $50K or the money wasn't really the issue?

If that's the case, we've all been blaming Fantasia when it may actually be deeper than that.

azabob
08-09-2016, 12:25 PM

Harbrow is no big loss at all.

Greystache
08-09-2016, 12:39 PM
So he would've been happy to stay and get screamed at for an extra $50K or the money wasn't really the issue?

If that's the case, we've all been blaming Fantasia when it may actually be deeper than that.

He would've signed a decent offer up front because he could've stayed close to home and had a secure future in a familiar environment. He was more open to looking around at other offers than many other players would've been because of the way he was dealt with. Fantasia has always been the target for all blame but we weren't exactly dealing with a player who bled red white and blue for several reasons.

comrade
08-09-2016, 12:49 PM
He would've signed a decent offer up front because he could've stayed close to home and had a secure future in a familiar environment. He was more open to looking around at other offers than many other players would've been because of the way he was dealt with. Fantasia has always been the target for all blame but we weren't exactly dealing with a player who bled red white and blue for several reasons.

Cheers, learnt something new.

Topdog
08-09-2016, 01:00 PM
From my reading we lowballed him, that gave him long enough to have a meeting with GWS and they blew us out of the water.

I appreciate Rocket would not have been every players cup of tea but competent list management shouldnt allow the games to begin with esp with 2 new teams coming in

bornadog
08-09-2016, 01:11 PM
From my reading we lowballed him, that gave him long enough to have a meeting with GWS and they blew us out of the water.

I appreciate Rocket would not have been every players cup of tea but competent list management shouldn't allow the games to begin with esp with 2 new teams coming in

Absolutely correct.

jeemak
08-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Being labelled cement head (not because of his hardness) by a clique of senior players probably wouldn't have helped....

bornadog
08-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Being labelled cement head (not because of his hardness) by a clique of senior players probably wouldn't have helped....

$800k per year helped

Sedat
08-09-2016, 04:54 PM
With all due respect to Ward, he won't be splitting the atom any time soon.

Sedat
08-09-2016, 05:01 PM
To be fair (and thanks for the additional info on the relationship between Rocket and Ward), the reality is that had Fantasia even done his job with a remote level of competency Ward would be a bulldog today. Notwithstanding said issues between coach and player, player would have signed on for what amounts to an extremely fair contract, but the man in charge of managing the list and player contract negotiations made a complete mess of this particular negotiation. Fantasia's culpability cannot be denied.

Greystache
08-09-2016, 05:03 PM

No but he was given responsibility and respect at GWS and allowed to flourish. Now he's captain of a top 4 team, B&F winner, universally respected, has made an All Australian squad. At the Bulldogs he was stupid, cement head, and mocked by coach and senior players for being a *!*!*!*! up. Maybe the carrot was a better management tool than the stick.

Greystache
08-09-2016, 05:08 PM
To be fair (and thanks for the additional info on the relationship between Rocket and Ward), the reality is that had Fantasia even done his job with a remote level of competency Ward would be a bulldog today. Notwithstanding said issues between coach and player, player would have signed on for what amounts to an extremely fair contract, but the man in charge of managing the list and player contract negotiations made a complete mess of this particular negotiation. Fantasia's culpability cannot be denied.

Possibly, even quite probably he would've signed and still been a Bulldog player today. Or we could've given him the offer he asked for and agreed on the terms, then his manager Paul Connors (who manages Hurley BTW) tells Ward he'll test the market before they sign and comes back with $800k from GWS and that they see him as a leader of their start up and the rest is history.

bornadog
08-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Possibly, even quite probably he would've signed and still been a Bulldog player today. Or we could've given him the offer he asked for and agreed on the terms, then his manager Paul Connors (who manages Hurley BTW) tells Ward he'll test the market before they sign and comes back with $800k from GWS and that they see him as a leader of their start up and the rest is history.

However, list management foresees what could happen in the future and in this case we knew way before GWS had their shit together they were going to join the AFL. Therefore we should have stitched him up then ie before they even started their recruitment. We let it go too long.

Same with Harbrow going to Suns. I don't buy into being closer to family bullshit.

Sedat
08-09-2016, 05:42 PM
From memory Connors wanted to sign him up in mid 2010 on the contract terms that Fantasia knocked back - GWS weren't even a viable concern at that time let alone been in a position to put an offer on the table.

A good list manager would have locked away all the players of interest to both GWS and GC.

bornadog
08-09-2016, 05:45 PM
From memory Connors wanted to sign him up in mid 2010 on the contract terms that Fantasia knocked back - GWS weren't even a viable concern at that time let alone been in a position to put an offer on the table.

A good list manager would have locked away all the players of interest to both GWS and GC.

Yep and the big losers were us and Adelaide who stuffed it up.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2016, 05:48 PM

How Fantasia got a job at Hawthorn after this had and still has me confused. Thank God he wasn't around to tell Bonts to get stuffed when trying to recontract. Anyway, finals baby.

Mofra
08-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Maybe the carrot was a better management tool than the stick.
Given our performances under Bevo vs B-Mac, maybe it's not just Ward who responds better to the carrot either.
I don't; see GCS being a threat anytime soon.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2016, 06:14 PM
Given our performances under Bevo vs B-Mac, maybe it's not just Ward who responds better to the carrot either.
I don't; see GCS being a threat anytime soon.

A lot of rumours around of GCS players not being happy with Eade's style. Make of it what you will.

Flamethrower
08-09-2016, 07:39 PM

He's more likely to split infinitives.

What's the point of bringing this up now anyway - what's next, an article about how Bernie Quinlan, Barry Round and Gary Dempsey left?

bulldogtragic
08-09-2016, 07:45 PM
He's more likely to split infinitives.

What's the point of bringing this up now anyway - what's next, an article about how Bernie Quinlan, Barry Round and Gary Dempsey left?

Nah, it will be in Grand Final Week talking about how Melbourne smashed us last grand final proving our track record is poor. The article is just a short arm jab. I wonder whether the AFEL planted it or whether GWS planted it??? That's the only interesting thing (that we didn't already know).

azabob
08-09-2016, 08:41 PM
Wasn't there talk that GWS was also interested in Wood?

If we signed Ward would the Giants moved on and signed Wood?

One could say this muck up let us keep Easton Wood.

G-Mo77
08-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Wasn't there talk that GWS was also interested in Wood?

If we signed Ward would the Giants moved on and signed Wood?

One could say this muck up let us keep Easton Wood.

Recall something like that now that you mention it. I know who I would rather.

Webby
09-09-2016, 08:05 AM

Well, we did shock the country last night. So do you think the media might be able to stop bringing up contract talks from 5 or 6 years ago? I'm still really sh1tty about the timing of that article.

Great to see that the club channeled EJ last night and "stuck it right up 'em!"...
..... All of them!

Maybe now the media (which is a reflection of, and mouthpiece for, the greater football world) will lighten up on us.. Stop trying to belittle us, keep us in our place, put their foot on our head etc. I think we earned that last night.. and some!

Twodogs
09-09-2016, 09:33 AM
Well, we did shock the country last night. So do you think the media might be able to stop bringing up contract talks from 5 or 6 years ago? I'm still really sh1tty about the timing of that article.

Great to see that the club channeled EJ last night and "stuck it right up 'em!"...
..... All of them!

Maybe now the media (which is a reflection of, and mouthpiece for, the greater football world) will lighten up on us.. Stop trying to belittle us, keep us in our place, put their foot on our head etc. I think we earned that last night.. and some!

Just listening to Walls on SEN. It was the week's break that cost West a Coast all their momentum.

bornadog
09-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Just listening to Walls on SEN. It was the week's break that cost West a Coast all their momentum.

These so called experts don't look at the whole year, just a few recent matches. We have been super consistent in every game this year except the first Geelong match. I have no doubt if we had a full compliment of players we would have finished on top this year.

hujsh
09-09-2016, 01:08 PM

Maybe they aren't that great if they can't consistently perform and require 'momentum'

Topdog
09-09-2016, 03:00 PM
The week break helped us immensely. I doubt we have Libba and Macrae back without it.

jeemak
09-09-2016, 03:17 PM
The week break helped us immensely. I doubt we have Libba and Macrae back without it.

Definitely.

Though, we'd have been a chance to finish top four with a bit of luck on the injury front, so having the week off prior to finals working in our favour was a welcome and overdue piece of luck.

Topdog
09-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Definitely.

Though, we'd have been a chance to finish top four with a bit of luck on the injury front, so having the week off prior to finals working in our favour was a welcome and overdue piece of luck.

Yeah spot on. With a healthy list all year I have no doubts we come top 4. Probably top 2

Remi Moses
09-09-2016, 10:16 PM
The week of was a godsend no doubt, but we've been due some sort of fortune .
I think we'd be a big show for top 2 without being banged up

LostDoggy
10-09-2016, 12:44 AM
The week off only gives all teams a chance to get somewhere nearer to their best. It's not good luck as much as it allows all teams a chance to negate some of the bad luck.

jeemak
10-09-2016, 05:29 PM
I'm sure it's a distressing situation, but "crying all morning" might be a bit over the top in response to a plane cancellation.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/afl-fans-furious-after-jetstar-delays-cancels-flight-ahead-of-swans-v-giants-game-20160910-grdcbg.html

Hopefully they made it to the game nonetheless.

jazzadogs
10-09-2016, 05:35 PM
I'm sure it's a distressing situation, but "crying all morning" might be a bit over the top in response to a plane cancellation.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/afl-fans-furious-after-jetstar-delays-cancels-flight-ahead-of-swans-v-giants-game-20160910-grdcbg.html

I'm sure Callan can shout the airfare.

Twodogs
10-09-2016, 05:48 PM
It does look pretty annoying.

azabob
10-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Seriously though, why on earth you would fly on the same day and if you did why would you fly Jetstar? ! ? !

jeemak
10-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Seriously though, why on earth you would fly on the same day and if you did why would you fly Jetstar? ! ? !

The prerogative of every Australian is to buy budget airline tickets, not read the fine print, and then get angry when it turns to shite!

bornadog
10-09-2016, 07:16 PM

Cheaper

azabob
10-09-2016, 09:46 PM
Cheaper

And how did that work out for em?

bornadog
11-09-2016, 12:27 AM
And how did that work out for em?

Cement head family :D

Webby
11-09-2016, 12:45 AM
Hah! Aren't GWS sponsored by Virgin?
Kind of serves them right..!.... In a way..

1eyedog
11-09-2016, 09:19 AM

Why was this article even written?

chef
11-09-2016, 09:27 AM

Yep. Who gives a shit. Amazing what makes 'news' nowadays.

LostDoggy
11-09-2016, 10:24 AM

I thought the same thing. Like, no one actually cares, so.....

Topdog
12-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Cheaper

Their son earns $800,000 a year. Surely he was paying for their trip over

SonofScray
12-09-2016, 09:36 AM
Suffer in your jocks Ward family. Send Callan the bill.

Webby
12-09-2016, 09:45 AM
Headline should have read:

"Frugal footballer moves interstate for $4M contract, has family fly budget airline to see him play"

Twodogs
12-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Headline should have read:

"Frugal footballer moves interstate for $4M contract, has family fly budget airline to see him play"

Don't forget toput" deserted original club for the filthy lucre " in there somewhere

Mantis
13-09-2016, 09:59 AM

If we make it through to a PF i'll be going for the FI-FO option... Perhaps not with Jetstar.

Ozza
13-09-2016, 10:10 AM
If we make it through to a PF i'll be going for the FI-FO option... Perhaps not with Jetstar.

Likewise....but I expect I will go with Qantas or Virgin.

bornadog
13-09-2016, 10:30 AM
I have never had any issues with Jetstar.

Ozza
13-09-2016, 10:33 AM
I've only flown with Jetstar twice - and on one of those two occasions - I had the same scenario as what happened on Saturday; with a flight being cancelled due to 'engineering issues' (which is a blatant lie) and we were all put onto a flight 2 and a half hours later.

If the flights aren't full enough - they just cancel them. Happens very regularly.

comrade
13-09-2016, 11:46 AM
If we make it to the prelim, lets charter a private WOOF jet.

Twodogs
13-09-2016, 07:59 PM
WOOF Air.

cinder
20-09-2016, 12:22 AM
Please arrange this! ;)

Twodogs
20-09-2016, 01:37 AM
So if we had kept Ward then GWS would have taken Wood instead? Would we have got as good a compensation pick for Easton at that stage?
As young draftees at that stage Callan was the gun who oozed leadership and Easton was the injury prone athletic prospect. The offer to Wood wouldn't have been as generous as the Tattlotto win GWS offered Callan Ward.

FrediKanoute
20-09-2016, 06:28 AM
Hopefully on Saturday they can republish article as "Ward's $50k Bulldog mistake"

KT31
20-09-2016, 09:37 AM

Would have been very handy for my oldest Pup, as he missed our sensational win on Friday night because Free Spirit Airlines cancelled his flight and it was only when he arrived at the local airport they told him.:mad:

bornadog
20-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Would have been very handy for my youngest Pup, as he missed our sensational win on Friday night because Free Spirit Airlines cancelled his flight and it was only when he arrived at the local airport they told him.:mad:

That sucks, bloody airlines.