PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Semi Final vs Geelong/Hawthorn at the MCG

bulldogtragic
08-09-2016, 11:28 PM
Out/s: Jong (inj)
Ins: from Campbell, Hrovat, McLean, Stevens, Roberts, Honeychurch, Webb, Dale, Minson, Bob Murphy etc :D

westdog54
09-09-2016, 12:12 AM
Stevens in for Jong, like for like replacement.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 12:23 AM
And an extra day's rest for this group (obviously not the VFL boys).

bornadog
09-09-2016, 12:24 AM
I hope we play Friday Night.

Out Jong

In Hrovat

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 12:24 AM
Out: Jong
In: Hrovat, McLean or Webb for a small. Campbell if we want to change structures.

Remi Moses
09-09-2016, 12:25 AM
I like Hrovat in for Lin with his good use.

Mantis
09-09-2016, 12:34 AM
Stevens in for Jong, like for like replacement.

I don't want Stevens anywhere near this team... Plays nothing like Jong.

EasternWest
09-09-2016, 12:36 AM

I like Stevens a lot, but he offers us more on the trade table now than the field.

Hrovat or Webb for mine. Probably Hrovat, he's a beauty.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-09-2016, 12:37 AM

Agreed.

Hope we keep Jong.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 12:38 AM
I like Stevens a lot, but he offers us more on the trade table now than the field.

Hrovat or Webb for mine. Probably Hrovat, he's a beauty.

That's perfect. Stevens goes, and Hrovat gets a semi final and a contract offer.

comrade
09-09-2016, 12:38 AM
Hrovat or McLean. Hope one of them puts their hand up with a big game on Sunday.

EasternWest
09-09-2016, 12:39 AM
Hrovat or McLean. Hope one of them puts their hand up with a big game on Sunday.

Actually I forgot about McLean. I'd have him in the mix too.

azabob
09-09-2016, 12:48 AM
VFL boys playing on Sunday is a very very short turnaround. Will be interesting to see what happens.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 12:49 AM
VFL boys playing on Sunday is a very very short turnaround. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Really tough for Campbell. He needs match time, but not enough time if they want him.

lemmon
09-09-2016, 01:20 AM
I'd bring the Rat in for Jong. He was stiff to miss out

Doc26
09-09-2016, 01:25 AM
Agreed.

Hope we keep Jong.

Jongy's a ripper. He embodies who we are. We must try to retain him.

jeemak
09-09-2016, 02:38 AM
If Honeychurch dominates this week I want him in, especially if Hrovat doesn't get up to speed with a good performance. This is of course in place for Jong, who won't play another game for the Bulldogs.

No other changes.

bornadog
09-09-2016, 10:26 AM
If Honeychurch dominates this week I want him in, especially if Hrovat doesn't get up to speed with a good performance. This is of course in place for Jong, who won't play another game for the Bulldogs this year.

No other changes.

Edited for accuracy

Ozza
09-09-2016, 10:27 AM
The unknown is how the likes of Macrae, Libba, Easton Wood pull up - so I'll reserve my 'changes' until we know how they come up.

But obviously Hrovat was the most unlucky to miss. Hate the thought of losing the Rat as was suggested by Jon Ralph last night that we may. Seems a heart and soul type.

LostDoggy
09-09-2016, 10:55 AM
Suckling will get a game but he has been awful the last 2 weeks

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 11:01 AM

He did save one certain goal though. He could've not tackled Darling when he played on 15m out, but got him and pinned his arms turning it from a certain goal to holding the ball turnover.

On the wide expanses of the MCG, hopefully he can play a little further up the ground and use that leg cannon to more advantage.

always right
09-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Suckling made some errors but was vastly better than recent weeks. Hope he's on an upward trajectory.

Real opportunity for our blokes to put up their hand for Footscray this week. I'm hoping McLean is one of them.

G-Mo77
09-09-2016, 11:15 AM

His kicking on bigger grounds could win us a game. What he can bring keeps him there.

Hrovat for Jong.

Depends on who we play we may make other changes. There might be some horses for courses selections.

Jeanette54
09-09-2016, 11:24 AM
I'd bring the Rat in for Jong. He was stiff to miss out

Condolences to Lin Jong, but I think the Rat deserves his chance; unless we want to go taller for some reason. Roberts or Campbell ?

Ozza
09-09-2016, 11:30 AM

Agree that he has been poor hughy, but his lack of continuity has hurt him a bit. Hopefully he is better for the run and over that Achilles niggle.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Honeychurch would be a very good replacement for Jong. He would bring that intensity to the contest that earmarks our team. He would get a lot out of himself and relish the challenge.

Sedat
09-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Is anyone else pissed off that we have been scheduled on Sunday for the VFL instead of Saturday? Only gives the prospective ins a 5 day break to recover in time for a brutal AFL final. Totally unnecessary as well with our opponent being the AFL wooden spooner.

If we play the Cats we might have to replace Jongy with a tall depending on weather and other factors. Let's see what tonight dishes up.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 12:12 PM
Is anyone else pissed off that we have been scheduled on Sunday for the VFL instead of Saturday? Only gives the prospective ins a 5 day break to recover in time for a brutal AFL final. Totally unnecessary as well with our opponent being the AFL wooden spooner.

If we play the Cats we might have to replace Jongy with a tall depending on weather and other factors. Let's see what tonight dishes up.

Makes it hard. We might have to do what Box Hill did in the 2014 Grand Final with Rioli, and take our prospective in's off at half or three quarter time. Not ideal for Footscray, but the main game is Hawks or Cats five days later.

Rocco Jones
09-09-2016, 04:07 PM
I think we have to leave perspective ins out of the VFL game. I would rest 2 most likely + play another only for a half.

I would go with McLean for Jong.

Mantis
09-09-2016, 04:36 PM
I think we have to leave perspective ins out of the VFL game. I would rest 2 most likely + play another only for a half.

I would go with McLean for Jong.

Given quite a few of the potential ins didn't play for Footscray last week I would think they would need a run this week to get some match practice... With 5 on the bench I'm certain they can manage their game time.

The Pie Man
09-09-2016, 04:37 PM
I'd bring in Hrovat as well, though that depends on where his head is at following his omission from last night.

Suspect the Rat's zip and ball use will suit the G - and the weather looks wet for all of next week, so a tall like Roberts likely won't be needed (feel for Fletch a bit, but gee that backline worked well last night)

LostDoggy
09-09-2016, 04:41 PM
Makes it hard. We might have to do what Box Hill did in the 2014 Grand Final with Rioli, and take our prospective in's off at half or three quarter time. Not ideal for Footscray, but the main game is Hawks or Cats five days later.
Imagine a scenario where 3 or 4 players are told they're in the running for a senior birth and whoever does best over the first half of the VFL bench will be sent to the bench for the last half and be included in the seniors Friday night. That'd cause some crazy competitive play.

bornadog
09-09-2016, 04:42 PM
Is Friday the confirmed day?

Ozza
09-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Is Friday the confirmed day?

It will have to be - Thursday/Friday teams from this week play on a Friday night.
Saturday teams from this week to play on Saturday.

I don't think they would go down the path of give us a 9 day break - but having the Saturday teams play on 6 day breaks.

Lock in for 7:50pm at the MCG on Friday.

bornadog
09-09-2016, 05:33 PM
It will have to be - Thursday/Friday teams from this week play on a Friday night.
Saturday teams from this week to play on Saturday.

I don't think they would go down the path of give us a 9 day break - but having the Saturday teams play on 6 day breaks.

Lock in for 7:50pm at the MCG on Friday.

Excellent, can't wait. My Hawks mate said after last night he doesn't want to face us. :)

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 11:30 PM
Roughy & Boyd versus McEvoy & Fitzpatrick? Or add in Campbell to the mix?

G-Mo77
09-09-2016, 11:38 PM
Roughy & Boyd versus McEvoy & Fitzpatrick? Or add in Campbell to the mix?

I was more worried matching up against the Cats. Hawks ruck stocks are not that great and they don't have a monster FF. I'd lhold on what worked Thursday.

Hrovat for Jong.

Stefcep
09-09-2016, 11:39 PM
it doesn't matter who the one or 2 ins will be.

This will be won and lost in the mind-being the pessimist I am I just hope we haven't already played our grand final.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 11:42 PM
I was more worried matching up against the Cats. Hawks ruck stocks are not that great and they don't have a monster FF. I'd lhold on what worked Thursday.

Hrovat for Jong.

Hamling to Gunston. Morris to Cicily. Biggs to Poppy. JJ on Rioli. Wood & Boyd playing off. Roughy dropping back when resting on their other ruck.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2016, 11:44 PM
The last half of the last game Caleb Daniel shutdown Sam Mitchell and got a heap of it. I wonder if that comes up in the coaches thoughts this week.

SonofScray
09-09-2016, 11:53 PM
V Hawks.

Can't imagine there being too many changes, unless we have blokes who came in pull up sore. Obviously Jong goes out, Stevens would seem the most like for like option there.

Geez. I feel sick in the guts again. We're up to our necks in the hunt right now.

azabob
09-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Can we go twice to the well and play Cordy as a defensive forward on Gibson?

azabob
09-09-2016, 11:57 PM
The last half of the last game Caleb Daniel shutdown Sam Mitchell and got a heap of it. I wonder if that comes up in the coaches thoughts this week.

BT, I feel we need to start the 'stratagising a win against Hawthorn' ASAP!

bulldogtragic
10-09-2016, 12:07 AM
BT, I feel we need to start the 'stratagising a win against Hawthorn' ASAP!

I was doing it as you typed. Scary! :D

boydogs
10-09-2016, 02:13 AM
Stevens for Jong, done. Toughest decision this week is managing VFL game time with the 5 day break until the AFL final

whythelongface
10-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Looks like Hawthorn will go out in straight sets. Pity that :)

merantau
10-09-2016, 09:01 AM
Suckling made some errors but was vastly better than recent weeks. Hope he's on an upward trajectory.

Real opportunity for our blokes to put up their hand for Footscray this week. I'm hoping McLean is one of them.

Suckling has been awful of late but I thought he paid his way on Thursday night. Kicked boldly at times to get us going through the corridor and kicked well down the line. Losing a one on one with Josh Hill was a lowlight. MCG against his old club - the stage is set for him to repay our faith.

Mantis
10-09-2016, 09:12 AM
Stevens for Jong, done. Toughest decision this week is managing VFL game time with the 5 day break until the AFL final

No, not done.

Why we would want Stevens in the team who does nothing for our ball movement out of congestion is beyond me.

1eyedog
10-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Can someone please explain the finals format for me? If we beat the Hawks we play the winner from GWS / Swans in a Prelim? Do we have to play them up there?

Go_Dogs
10-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Can someone please explain the finals format for me? If we beat the Hawks we play the winner from GWS / Swans in a Prelim? Do we have to play them up there?

Yes, that's how it works. We'll play the winner of that game in Sydney.

LostDoggy
10-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Yep.

LostDoggy
10-09-2016, 10:03 AM

Yep. Winning top 4 team gets the home advantage. Basically, if you finish 7th/8th, you're always away unless facing neutral team (until the GF).

1eyedog
10-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Ok thanks. So if GWS win and go to the prelim do we have to play them at that dinky little stadium? What is the capacity of that thing?

chef
10-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Ok thanks. So if GWS win and go to the prelim do we have to play them at that dinky little stadium? What is the capacity of that thing?

24k.

MrMahatma
10-09-2016, 11:07 AM

Certainly my preference. Play Hawks, GWS, then Swans. Win the flag.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-09-2016, 11:29 AM
No, not done.

Why we would want Stevens in the team who does nothing for our ball movement out of congestion is beyond me.

Agreed. Stevens is the last bloke on the list I'd be picking. He's already out the door and has played as such for weeks. Slow, poorly skilled, woeful decision making - bye.

I think we have to go with Hrovat who offers us much more than Honeychurch and is currently more advanced than Webb.

The main question, for mine, is whether we bring in Campbell for Cordy. The latter has done some solid defensive forwards jobs this year, none moreso than v Gov/Barass two nights ago. We simply will not get that same type of 'defensive cover' from Campbell, but he may kick a couple or allow Boyd to.

comrade
10-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Definite no the Stevens, the kind of game he has constantly struggled in. Fierce pressure, no time to think, clean disposal a must. I can see him trying to run through Hawks tackles and constantly coughing it up.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-09-2016, 11:44 AM

We could flood it with supporters.
Hrovat or Honeychurch before Stevens please.

cinder
10-09-2016, 11:44 AM
[deleted]

Hotdog60
10-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Is Williams to young to be considered?

v Freo Hrovat DE% 52.9 with 4 claggers 17 disposals
Williams DE% 81.3 with 1 clagger 16 disposals

Go_Dogs
10-09-2016, 02:50 PM
Is Williams to young to be considered?

v Freo Hrovat DE% 52.9 with 4 claggers 17 disposals
Williams DE% 81.3 with 1 clagger 16 disposals

I think he warrants a close look, could be a good weapon at the G and isn't bad in the air, too.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
10-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Honeychurch was good I our final last year uses the ball better than Stevens but not as big bodied. I expect them to try to beat us up

Smads57
10-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Agree no to Stevens and after last weeks VFL final, definitely a no to Honeychurch - turns it over far too often. I'd go Webb - cleanest user of the ball playing in the twos at present and the inside mid role (ie like for like re Jong), is what he has been schooled in this year.

jeemak
10-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Agree no to Stevens and after last weeks VFL final, definitely a no to Honeychurch - turns it over far too often. I'd go Webb - cleanest user of the ball playing in the twos at present and the inside mid role (ie like for like re Jong), is what he has been schooled in this year.

I'm a bit worried about Webb's ability to get his hands on it enough. Whilst his ball use is excellent, he's still just a bit quiet.

boydogs
10-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Suckling has been awful of late but I thought he paid his way on Thursday night. Kicked boldly at times to get us going through the corridor and kicked well down the line. Losing a one on one with Josh Hill was a lowlight. MCG against his old club - the stage is set for him to repay our faith.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, he spoiled in the marking contest but it was roved by someone else

No, not done.

I know you've been outspoken on Stevens not being best 22, but is Jong really that different in what he brings to the side? I think the balance of the side was perfect on Thursday night and would look to bring in another big bodied bull mid for Jong

bulldogtragic
11-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Webb, McLean & Roarke Smith being rested from the VFL today. So I guess we know who the three most likely replacements are.

SlimPickens
11-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Webb, McLean & Roarke Smith being rested from the VFL today. So I guess we know who the three most likely replacements are.

Reckon it will be McLean for Jong. Cant see any other changes

G-Mo77
11-09-2016, 04:34 PM

Surprise Roarke in the mix but like Slim I think McLean will come in.

Happy Days
11-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Surprise Roarke in the mix but like Slim I think McLean will come in.

Think Roarke would be insurance for Wood and his ankle.

chef
11-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Reckon it will be McLean for Jong. Cant see any other changes

Webb would be more like for like with Jong wouldnt he?

cinder
11-09-2016, 05:20 PM
I prefer McLean, loved his form before injury.

Ozza
12-09-2016, 10:20 AM
To me, the logic would appear to be that of the three that didn't play VFL;

McLean comes in for Jong.

Webb is insurance for Macrae or Libba if they don't back up.
Roarke Smith is insurance for Easton Wood not coming up.

Looking forward to McLean getting a free kick or two in front of goal.

comrade
12-09-2016, 10:24 AM
To me, the logic would appear to be that of the three that didn't play VFL;

McLean comes in for Jong.

Webb is insurance for Macrae or Libba if they don't back up.
Roarke Smith is insurance for Easton Wood not coming up.

Looking forward to McLean getting a free kick or two in front of goal.

I'd play McLean on Siciliy for a laugh.

The Pie Man
12-09-2016, 11:13 AM
It's not like for like but I'm an advocate for McLean - midfield didn't seem to suffer with Jong* out of the rotation last Thursday** and someone with a few tricks like Toby could be important on Friday.

* That's not a call to disparage Lin, he was decent up til the point he got hurt
** Be interesting to know if they're feeling the one down in rotation from that game now - extra day's break again a rare & welcome slice of good fortune

SlimPickens
12-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Webb would be more like for like with Jong wouldnt he?

I would think McLean playing allows Smith, Stringer etc to spend more time through the middle. He also gives us a lead up option across half forward which will be incredibly important. Not to mention he is better equipped to have an impact on the game than Roarke or Webb

BornInDroopSt'54
12-09-2016, 11:43 AM
McLean hasn't played enough surely. Roarke Smith to roar into the finals.

1eyedog
12-09-2016, 11:45 AM
I'd prefer McLean. He only needs 5 minutes to make a big contribution.

Axe Man
12-09-2016, 11:48 AM
McLean hasn't played enough surely. Roarke Smith to roar into the finals.

With respect to Roarke who is a promising player, he has played 2 AFL games, only 1 this year and missed most of the season with an ACL. He looked off the level against Essendon in a nothing game against the wooden spooner. I don't want him anywhere near the team in a high pressure final against the triple premiers.

Mantis
12-09-2016, 11:54 AM
We will need lead up options across half forward due to the width of the MCG, McLean suits this role pefectly and has a bit of class which could be important.. Think he will relish the opportunity to play on the big stage.

craigsahibee
12-09-2016, 12:20 PM
McLean for me.

Clever enough to find space and has a bit of "lower case" x factor about him, with his overhead marking ability.

I call it "lower case" because he hasn't yet reached a consistent level of X factor.

If Picko finds himself in a midfield/run with role, Toby could be the small marking option that Liam provided through the wing/forward 50

BornInDroopSt'54
12-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Glad to see you blokes think Toby is match ready. He offers more than Hrovat or Smith.

Twodogs
12-09-2016, 01:59 PM
We will need lead up options across half forward due to the width of the MCG, McLean suits this role pefectly and has a bit of class which could be important.. Think he will relish the opportunity to play on the big stage.

McLean has played well at the MCG before. He has tge class to lose opponents and find the space to work into on the bigger ground.

comrade
12-09-2016, 02:31 PM
McLean has played well at the MCG before. He has tge class to lose opponents and find the space to work into on the bigger ground.

He also kicked a couple against the Hawks earlier in the year.

Remi Moses
12-09-2016, 02:39 PM
Has to be Toby

Mofra
12-09-2016, 02:46 PM
It's not like for like but I'm an advocate for McLean - midfield didn't seem to suffer with Jong* out of the rotation last Thursday** and someone with a few tricks like Toby could be important on Friday.
It seemed to me that Smith took more turns in the centre after the main break - we adjusted and it worked.
I'd keep the same adjustment and have McLean in - Hawks play "unsociable" football so McLean should get about 47 head high frees.

1eyedog
12-09-2016, 02:54 PM
It's good we get the Hawks. Bevo will know all of Clarko's tricks.

always right
12-09-2016, 03:37 PM
McLean for me.......a genuine forward.

Mantis
12-09-2016, 03:42 PM
It's good we get the Hawks. Bevo will know all of Clarko's tricks.

Are Clarko's tricks all that well hidden?

When Hawthorn are in trouble they throw Burgoyne into the middle and he sorts everything out.. Or if it's late in the game they will use Lewis 3rd man up as much as possible.

1eyedog
12-09-2016, 03:50 PM

When Hawthorn are in trouble they throw Burgoyne into the middle and he sorts everything out.. Or if it's late in the game they will use Lewis 3rd man up as much as possible.

Bevo would be able to predict what Clarko will do ad hoc better than most. It has to be an advantage of some sort.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2016, 03:51 PM

Yep. If we have our noses in front come late last quarter and it's tight, I think SB becomes the most player dangerous on the ground. So I'd make sure he gets a real close check in those circumstances.

Ozza
12-09-2016, 04:01 PM

Indeed! Burgoyne is the big problem in a close game - it was no surprise that he was involved in that last play where they ended up with a chance to win. He's a genius.

strebla
12-09-2016, 04:38 PM
McLean for me also although Bailey Dale was very good on Sunday. With the 5 day break decisions look like they are already made.

comrade
12-09-2016, 05:08 PM
If Hawks are down with a minute or so left, for gods sake, don't kick a point. Play kick to kick, kick it out on the full in a pocket, get caught holding the ball deep in defence, what ever it takes to deny them the chance to set up for a kick straight up the middle.

Mantis
12-09-2016, 05:10 PM
If Hawks are down with a minute or so left, for gods sake, don't kick a point. Play kick to kick, kick it out on the full in a pocket, get caught holding the ball deep in defence, what ever it takes to deny them the chance to set up for a kick straight up the middle.

Get your point, but one would hope we would set up a little better this time around.

LostDoggy
12-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Magic McLean for Jong for me.

LostDoggy
12-09-2016, 05:36 PM

That game in round 3 is was an absolute shank of a kick that found its way to Burgoyne from the kick in. Friday night was always a shank of a kick from half back that landed in the arms of a Hawthorn player. They got very lucky on both occasions.

Mantis
12-09-2016, 05:40 PM
That game in round 3 is was an absolute shank of a kick that found its way to Burgoyne from the kick in. Friday night was always a shank of a kick from half back that landed in the arms of a Hawthorn player. They got very lucky on both occasions.

But on both occassions they had un-manned players forward of the ball... You can't let that happen if it gets out.

Twodogs
12-09-2016, 07:04 PM
But on both occassions they had un-manned players forward of the ball... You can't let that happen if it gets out.

Yep. Everybody has a man.

1eyedog
12-09-2016, 07:46 PM

Agree re. Burgoyne needs to be neutralized.

azabob
12-09-2016, 08:26 PM

They seem to get lucky more often than not. Was it against Sydney in the last minute where Lewis went 3rd man and from their Mitchell hacked it out of mid air and went to another player who then hit up Rioli, who goaled from 50 and won the game?

Twodogs
12-09-2016, 08:50 PM
They seem to get lucky more often than not. Was it against Sydney in the last minute where Lewis went 3rd man and from their Mitchell hacked it out of mid air and went to another player who then hit up Rioli, who goaled from 50 and won the game?

It can't just be luck. They must know each other's kicking capabilities inside out-the core of the playing group have played a million games together and won either 3 or 4 premierships. That's a lot of training sessions. And they look like they practice their kicking a lot.

merantau
12-09-2016, 09:04 PM
We need to get our hands on the ball first and get numbers around the ball as we did against West Coke. This game will require a lot of running. Hopefully the extra day of rest will favour us. I do not want to see them getting goals over the back. Rioli and Puopolo need to be watched closely.

azabob
12-09-2016, 09:05 PM
It can't just be luck. They must know each other's kicking capabilities inside out-the core of the playing group have played a million games together and won either 3 or 4 premierships. That's a lot of training sessions. And they look like they practice their kicking a lot.

Yep. Exactly my point.

westdog54
13-09-2016, 06:49 PM

I've had this discussion with a mate who is a Hawthorn supporter.

We agreed that good sides make their own luck. While Hawthorn aren't a good as previous years they are exceptionally well drilled. We simply need to be switched on in these moments.

Fun fact: Easton Wood hasn't played against the Hawks since 2011. Will surely be a massive factor on Friday.

LostDoggy
13-09-2016, 08:20 PM
Clay ready to bring the heat-

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs/clay-smith-to-bring-fearless-approach-for-semifinal-against-hawthorn/news-story/a102bf1c2112f4b3de4037ff6a34de00

bulldogtragic
13-09-2016, 08:24 PM
Clay ready to bring the heat-

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs/clay-smith-to-bring-fearless-approach-for-semifinal-against-hawthorn/news-story/a102bf1c2112f4b3de4037ff6a34de00

I'd consider lining him up on Hodge to start with. You know top bloke always punches opposition players and throws his weight around early. I'd like Clay Smith on the spot when it happens to set the tone and fly the flag.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-09-2016, 10:28 PM
Fun fact: Easton Wood hasn't played against the Hawks since 2011. Will surely be a massive factor on Friday.

That's an amazing stat.

We certainly missed him earlier in the year.

LostDoggy
13-09-2016, 10:38 PM

We agreed that good sides make their own luck. While Hawthorn aren't a good as previous years they are exceptionally well drilled. We simply need to be switched on in these moments.

Amazing fact WD54. Intercept marks will be a real weapon the way Hawthorn play.

whythelongface
13-09-2016, 11:13 PM

Probably the last time we beat them - actually the last time we did beat them was R3 2010. That is 9 games ago. This is going to change this Friday night.

Twodogs
14-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Probably the last time we beat them - actually the last time we did beat them was R3 2010. That is 9 games ago. This is going to change this Friday night.

Damn straight! No one beats us 10 times in a row and gets away with it.

MrMahatma
14-09-2016, 09:37 AM
I think we match up well on Hawks. GWS and the cats, not so much.

Will be a great game this weekend.

Bring in McLean and move Clay on the ball.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Some talk that Webb will play, which would surprise me a little.

LostDoggy
15-09-2016, 11:42 AM
I'd consider lining him up on Hodge to start with. You know top bloke always punches opposition players and throws his weight around early. I'd like Clay Smith on the spot when it happens to set the tone and fly the flag.

Yep. In the early stages a combination of Libba, Picken and Clay rotating through Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell, getting in their face and letting them know we will not be intimidated.

kruder
15-09-2016, 12:04 PM
Any news on Dickson? Fingers crossed it was only a cramp.

always right
15-09-2016, 12:14 PM
Any news on Dickson? Fingers crossed it was only a cramp.

He's fine.

Mantis
15-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Yep. In the early stages a combination of Libba, Picken and Clay rotating through Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell, getting in their face and letting them know we will not be intimidated.

Would hope the likes of Bont & Dunkley also play significant roles through the midfield.. Neither will take a backward step and it will be nice watching a couple of 'kids' take on the old timers.

chef
15-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Some talk that Webb will play, which would surprise me a little.

Not if Bevo wants a like for like replacement. Webb has been playing as an inside mid all season so i guess he'd be better for Jongs role than McLean.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Not if Bevo wants a like for like replacement. Webb has been playing as an inside mid all season so i guess he'd be better for Jongs role than McLean.

Whilst true, not sure Webb has the form to warrant selection. He did have one good game (v Norf?) but he has struggled to find enough of it in the other games, and at this stage, isn't capable on a flank. Think it'd be a bold decision to pick him over McLean, but having said that, I am definitely a fan of Lukas.

If he plays, his left foot could be handy.

chef
15-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Whilst true, not sure Webb has the form to warrant selection. He did have one good game (v Norf?) but he has struggled to find enough of it in the other games, and at this stage, isn't capable on a flank. Think it'd be a bold decision to pick him over McLean, but having said that, I am definitely a fan of Lukas.

I guess neither of them have any form to warrant selection,maybe Bevo is looking at their toolsets and who they are replacing.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-09-2016, 12:30 PM
I guess neither of them have any form to warrant selection,maybe Bevo is looking at their toolsets and who they are replacing.

If the plan is to keep Clay in the F50, then Webb would get the nod.

SquirrelGrip
15-09-2016, 12:41 PM
And based on body language at training, Webb looked most like he's got the nod. Will be interesting who the third emergency would be after McLean and R.Smith. Campbell or Fletcher?

Cyberdoggie
15-09-2016, 12:48 PM

We don't really have many options for a like the like replacement. Webb has been playing closest to Jong's role.
Stevens should really be in that team but he just hasn't been playing well enough at the right time, and his turnovers can hurt.

Not sure Webb will have the aggression and physicality required for a finals game, he has had moments when he has been good but just hasn't had a complete game this year.

Let's hope he does well.

kruder
15-09-2016, 03:51 PM
Was just watching a little of Round 3 against the Hawks. While Adams made a few mistakes early gee he is a good mark and just so athletic. I forgotten how big of a loss he has been, he is a serious footballer indeed.

bornadog
15-09-2016, 04:36 PM
And based on body language at training, Webb looked most like he's got the nod. Will be interesting who the third emergency would be after McLean and R.Smith. Campbell or Fletcher?

Can they all play VFL on Saturday?

Bulldog Joe
15-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Can they all play VFL on Saturday?

Everyone who misses Friday is eligible to play on Saturday.

1eyedog
15-09-2016, 04:55 PM
We don't really have many options for a like the like replacement. Webb has been playing closest to Jong's role.
Stevens should really be in that team but he just hasn't been playing well enough at the right time, and his turnovers can hurt.

Not sure Webb will have the aggression and physicality required for a finals game, he has had moments when he has been good but just hasn't had a complete game this year.

Let's hope he does well.

At training today Stevens was constantly missing targets or over kicking / under kicking the ball. He kicked one to Adcock and it went way over the top and Adcock went to retrieve it shaking his head. This has happened on all of the about 8 times I've been to training this year.

bornadog
15-09-2016, 05:10 PM
At training today Stevens was constantly missing targets or over kicking / under kicking the ball. He kicked one to Adcock and it went way over the top and Adcock went to retrieve it shaking his head. This has happened on all of the about 8 times I've been to training this year.

His days are numbered I am afraid.

1eyedog
15-09-2016, 07:29 PM
McLean in

LostDoggy
15-09-2016, 07:30 PM
McLean in

Yes!!!;)

bulldogtragic
15-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Toby!!

cinder
15-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Great. Love McLean!

1eyedog
15-09-2016, 07:33 PM
C'moooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnn Doggies!

PUMPED!

The Doctor
15-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Campbell, Webb and R.Smith are the emergencies

S Coast Simon
15-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Was not expecting magic in thought the tougher Webb would have got the nod

Go_Dogs
15-09-2016, 07:41 PM
Hawks added some more run in Hartung. Already they're reactive to what we produced last week and will hopefully emulate tomorrow.

The Underdog
15-09-2016, 08:04 PM
Love the selection. McLean has been fantastic at times this year

GVGjr
15-09-2016, 08:12 PM
It's a good team that can leave out the likes or Hrovat. Liking our chances

SquirrelGrip
15-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Great choice. Shows we are attacking not defending. Can't wait!!!

comrade
15-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Good to see Hartung in for the Hawks. The type of player that may wilt under the intense heat of a cutthroat final.

Ozza
15-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Glad Hawthorn have picked Hartung. Coming on as a sub in a great side - he used to look ok coming on late using his pace.
But this year, having to play full games and the team being less dominant - has shown him up. He can't play.

Would have preferred Sicily not playing - but I guess he has been a bit out of form second half of this year - so hopefully he struggles.

ratsmac
15-09-2016, 08:56 PM
In McLean! This is a good move IMO. He can play forward and pinch a goal he and there and he can have stints higher up the ground. Good selection.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-09-2016, 08:59 PM
Surprised on the Hartung calls. Every time I've seen him play, he offers some run and dash.

Sicily is obviously a good in. Will be tough to beat 'em.

Eastdog
15-09-2016, 09:06 PM
Was not expecting magic in thought the tougher Webb would have got the nod

Look forward to seeing Toby create some spark in the forward half.

azabob
15-09-2016, 09:27 PM
Just on Sicily there was talk he wasn't 'ill' last week, was dropped for team balance. He is also being talked about as a trade option. Hopefully that doesn't lead to a great game by him.

Remi Moses
15-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Surprised they didn't bring Langford in .
Hartung's played reasonably well against us, and Sicily's 4 goals earlier in the year ensured selection

Sedat
15-09-2016, 09:48 PM
His days are numbered I am afraid.
No they're not - he will be a valuable addition to the Essendon midfield rotations and will only cost them a 2nd round pick ;)

1eyedog
15-09-2016, 09:48 PM
Surprised on the Hartung calls. Every time I've seen him play, he offers some run and dash.

Sicily is obviously a good in. Will be tough to beat 'em.

It's a good in. He runs very fast one way. He doesn't get it and if others don't he's ineffectual.

hujsh
15-09-2016, 11:04 PM
Just on Sicily there was talk he wasn't 'ill' last week, was dropped for team balance. He is also being talked about as a trade option. Hopefully that doesn't lead to a great game by him.

If so we could use a few more specialist forwards.

LostDoggy
16-09-2016, 08:58 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-16/five-keys-to-hawthorn-v-western-bulldogs

Like many I'm sure, I find myself repeatedly running through match day scenarios in advance for tonights match (12 hours to go!).

Thought the above article was a fairly good analysis of the game styles of the teams and what some of the telling contests may be.