PDA

View Full Version : Luke Beveridge on Talkin Footy Tonight

bornadog
12-09-2016, 05:34 PM
7 Mate, at 7.30

LostDoggy
12-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Replayed again at 12.15am Tuesday morning if anyone misses it tonight.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-09-2016, 10:00 PM
What has Carey done to his face he looks like a waxwork

HOSE B ROMERO
12-09-2016, 11:05 PM
Good show. Interesting what Bevo said about trying to emulate in a small way the community feel of St. Bedes with the Dogs.

bornadog
13-09-2016, 12:26 AM
Confirmed he would like Matty Boyd to continue on next year.

westbulldog
14-09-2016, 06:40 PM
The coach conducts himself very well, very professional in all media interviews.

bornadog
14-09-2016, 11:41 PM
For those who missed it, here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-09-13/beveridge-talks-finals-on-talking-footy)is Bevo.

bornadog
17-06-2019, 02:30 PM
On again tonight

GVGjr
18-06-2019, 08:53 AM
How did you think he went last night? I didn't understand the whole 'atrial foci' comment mind you I never got his 'snow button' comment at the season launch

Ghost Dog
18-06-2019, 09:07 AM
Kills me to see that footage of Roughy in the circle.

bornadog
18-06-2019, 09:44 AM
For those who missed it - see here (https://7plus.com.au/talking-footy)

SonofScray
18-06-2019, 10:01 AM
How did you think he went last night? I didn't understand the whole 'atrial foci' comment mind you I never got his 'snow button' comment at the season launch

He clearly doesn't enjoy that side of the caper, is open about it & fair enough IMO. I hate parts of my job too.

Forgive me for drawing some long bows here. One of the things that has concerned me is a change in his manner, there is a slight malaise in his speech and lack of cohesion in the stories he is trying to stitch together. It's different from when he started, less actual football skills and tactics, more personal wellbeing and growth. Not inherently bad, but there is something driving the change. It's off kilter.

I am probably projecting my own experience here, but to me he is behaving like a bloke who feels obligated, knows he can do the task but isn't loving it to any great degree. It's not the best place to be for too long. Suspect the shift in his story telling is actually as much about him as it is a vision for the players and Club.

I found that recently I had to put a lot of time into reframing my understanding of why I am in my role and which strengths I can deploy, which values will sustain me through a rough patch. Slowly the malaise gave way as the actual challenge that I felt best equipped to tackle emerged. I wonder if that is a journey our coach is on.

Twodogs
18-06-2019, 10:11 AM
He clearly doesn't enjoy that side of the caper, is open about it & fair enough IMO. I hate parts of my job too.

Forgive me for drawing some long bows here. One of the things that has concerned me is a change in his manner, there is a slight malaise in his speech and lack of cohesion in the stories he is trying to stitch together. It's different from when he started, less actual football skills and tactics, more personal wellbeing and growth. Not inherently bad, but there is something driving the change. It's off kilter.

I am probably projecting my own experience here, but to me he is behaving like a bloke who feels obligated, knows he can do the task but isn't loving it to any great degree. It's not the best place to be for too long. Suspect the shift in his story telling is actually as much about him as it is a vision for the players and Club.

I found that recently I had to put a lot of time into reframing my understanding of why I am in my role and which strengths I can deploy, which values will sustain me through a rough patch. Slowly the malaise gave way as the actual challenge that I felt best equipped to tackle emerged. I wonder if that is a journey our coach is on.

Yeah I worked in a job that I really loved the idea of when aspects of it were nearly killing me but I just didn't see it at the time. I love to help people but after a time I realized that the organization that I worked for had just got a bunch of articulate people together to find different ways to say "No, I'm sorry but we wont be doing that. It doesn't matter what we have told you in the past, that's where we are now"

Grantysghost
18-06-2019, 10:41 AM

That's become a euphemism for myself and my friends (who are not wb fans I shared the story with them) whenever someone fails or doesn't achieve as expected.

No snow button.

Just a sideways glance at each other.... "No snow button".

GVGjr
18-06-2019, 11:29 AM
That's become a euphemism for myself and my friends (who are not wb fans I shared the story with them) whenever someone fails or doesn't achieve as expected.

No snow button.

Just a sideways glance at each other.... "No snow button".

Did he ever actually finish telling the story of the snow button? I think he was implying it was a sense of comfort for him knowing it was there but never actually knowing what it was actually supposed to do
No one at my table on the night thought he actually made the point of the reference

Twodogs
18-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Did he ever actually finish telling the story of the snow button? I think he was implying it was a sense of comfort for him knowing it was there but never actually knowing what it was actually supposed to do
No one at my table on the night thought he actually made the point of the reference

I've never heard the first part of the story. Do you care to share with the rest of the class?

Rocket Science
18-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Any chance of one of the three ex-players doing the interview asking the coach about, y'know, football?

I think the phrase he muttered was 'ulterior focii', as in players having meaningful things in their lives other than just football.

He looks a vaguely world weary man who keeps his cards close to his chest. Life's less glamorous when you're not winning flags.

GVGjr
18-06-2019, 11:43 AM
He got to a conference in the US a couple of days early and decided to drive down from where he was staying to attend a Gridiron game.
He asked the hire car company what sort of car he need because of the snow and they said don't worry the car has a snow button

In amongst a number of observation he then described details of the trip there and back making reference to the snow button.
I never quite got the point of the story but it was interesting

Twodogs
18-06-2019, 11:47 AM
He got to a conference in the US a couple of days early and decided to drive down from where he was staying to attend a Gridiron game.
He asked the hire car company what sort of car he need because of the snow and they said don't worry the car has a snow button

In amongst a number of observation he then described details of the trip there and back making reference to the snow button.

Maybe it's a private joke, like Australians telling tourists to watch out for dropbears and getting them to walk around holding a stick over their heads?

mjp
18-06-2019, 12:17 PM
So...I thought he was great.

Yes - he plays (played??) his cards close, but given some of his trials and travails with the media (I'm pretty sure he remembers all too well the negative media commentary about his 'black soul' comments during the Boyd retirement presser) is anyone surprised?

As someone else said, life isn't quite so much fun when you are stuck down the bottom of the ladder and the subject of a fair bit (some would say not enough but that's another story) of criticism.

GVGjr
18-06-2019, 12:45 PM
So...I thought he was great.

Yes - he plays (played??) his cards close, but given some of his trials and travails with the media (I'm pretty sure he remembers all too well the negative media commentary about his 'black soul' comments during the Boyd retirement presser) is anyone surprised?

As someone else said, life isn't quite so much fun when you are stuck down the bottom of the ladder and the subject of a fair bit (some would say not enough but that's another story) of criticism.

Darcy was one of the guys that interviewed him for the role, Carey a light weight, Warner is fair and Watson would never take him on so I'm not sure he should have felt anything other than comfortable talking to them. I just thought it lacked any sort of flow

I'm at a club dinner tonight, hopefully we will see a more relaxed side of him.

bornadog
18-06-2019, 02:15 PM
I've never heard the first part of the story. Do you care to share with the rest of the class?

Watch/listen to his speech here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-03-13/season-launch-luke-beveridge)

bornadog
18-06-2019, 02:20 PM
On twitter, supporters were encouraged to put forward any questions they wished to ask Bevo, and I am pretty sure they used some of those.

My question was on runners and what his opinion was now that we have had 12 games with limited access to them. The panel did ask about runners but more in relation to Saturday's game and how he could have influenced the game more, especially in that 3rd quarter.

Overall, I felt Bevo looked more relaxed than the last few weeks when we lost games.

Rocket Science
18-06-2019, 03:06 PM
He fielded all of two questions about the way we're playing our footy, both from social media, albeit tacked onto the tail end of the segment before they wrapped up with no opportunity to delve further.

They should've let the punters interview him from go to whoah rather than the same hoary old questions about so Bevo, how's it feel to win a flag then fall off a cliff? He's visibly tired of the narrative. Who isn't? It's 2019.

Given both socmed questions zeroed in on on-field matters, there's also clearly an appetite for a bit more insight into how we're going, selection and match-day decisions, etc.

I get we play a much straighter bat with media relations post-flag, Bevo's an emotional bloke and rightly protective of his mob, but while we're less forthcoming with the fourth estate you feel the supporters are also left a little in the dark as a consequence.

Murphy'sLore
18-06-2019, 04:35 PM
I read 'socmed' as Scomo'd... Still in election hangover!

Grantysghost
18-06-2019, 04:41 PM
He asked the hire car company if he needed chains because of the snow and they said don't worry the car has a snow button

My understanding was he's in Colorado, driving in the snow. Rental car has a snow button. He trusts the snow button without really understanding what it does. On the return leg he sees a car accident and says to himself no snow button. He then uses this as a parable for the team; the snow button is the underlying framework in place that he trusts implicitly... Structures, systems, support staff et al. That was my take at the time. Granted I'd had some of the complimentary beverages (no pun intended). Maybe we should try to get some clarification at function tonight (player sponsors dinner).

Rocket Science
18-06-2019, 04:49 PM

Oh we've been Scomo'd alright.

Another thing I can blame the bastard for.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-06-2019, 05:49 PM

Don't mention the war:(

BornInDroopSt'54
18-06-2019, 05:55 PM
My understanding was he's in Colorado, driving in the snow. Rental car has a snow button. He trusts the snow button without really understanding what it does. On the return leg he sees a car accident and says to himself no snow button. He then uses this as a parable for the team; the snow button is the underlying framework in place that he trusts implicitly... Structures, systems, support staff et al. That was my take at the time. Granted I'd had some of the complimentary beverages (no pun intended). Maybe we should try to get some clarification at function tonight (player sponsors dinner).

That is spot on and perhaps its a bit ironic and as if a snow button is going to save you, not ? so like a joke. He liked his hammer after the Marvel round, so he likes his images, symbols, talismans or is that talismen? (It is talismans).