PDA

View Full Version : The gift and the curse - finals footy

Go_Dogs
12-09-2016, 07:51 PM
I've been to a few of our finals now, including all qualifying finals during the 2008-2010 era and more recently, our elimination final last year. My record is 0-4, not the greatest.

I feel I'm cursed, but I'm due a finals win.

A colleague of mine who supports the Dogs refuses to watch the games for fear of jinxing the result. She's undertaken to stay away from the TV on Friday night.

Anyone else have an irrational fear that their attendance at the game will have some kind of impact on the result?

Anyone have a tried and true method that regularly sees the club across the line? If so, what is it, and please ensure you're doing it on Friday night.

always right
12-09-2016, 07:55 PM
I have an old Bulldogs wind cheater I decided to wear Thursday night to watch the game. It is now my lucky wind cheater. Sleep easy my bulldog brethren.

I should also mention that I dreamed we'd win. This is unusual for me. I look forward to a similar dream this week.

Twodogs
12-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Gotta wear a footy jumper.

LostDoggy
12-09-2016, 09:01 PM
I used to have to open the first stubby of game day a certain way saying the same few words to myself before the beer touched my lips. It had to happen or something bad would happen, loss or injury. I was full on about it and it sometimes would be hard to manage if mates are around or if I was in a hurry. Nobody knew about it and I've even screamed at a mate if they would crack the top for me.

Silly now I think of it. Thank god I stopped, means nothing in the end. :D

LostDoggy
12-09-2016, 09:01 PM
I used to have to open the first stubby of game day a certain way saying the same few words to myself before the beer touched my lips. It had to happen or something bad would happen, loss or injury. I was full on about it and it sometimes would be hard to manage if mates are around or if I was in a hurry. Nobody knew about it and I've even screamed at a mate if they would crack the top for me.

Silly now I think of it. Thank god I stopped, means nothing in the end. :D

LostDoggy
12-09-2016, 09:02 PM
Ooh double post could be luck!! Might have to do it Friday :)

westdog54
12-09-2016, 09:34 PM
I tried attending the 92, 97 and 98 prelims, that didn't work.

I missed 08 because of work, that didn't work.

I watched 09 and 10 from home, that didn't work.

This year I'm going to try and not try anything and count myself as blessed that we've accomplished what we have this year.

Funke disco
12-09-2016, 09:50 PM
Im a nervous pisser.... Urinator. As a child a watched the bulldogs vs geelong game and went to the toilet just after we had scored a goal late in tue 4th, returned to find bill brownless had won them the game. Same during 97 prelim (went in the last 5 minutes), didnt go 98 and it happened vs st kilda in 09 and 2010 (that low scoring game Etihad where, again, they pipped us at the end) It happened during Australia vs Iran 1998 World cup qualifier (i was there) and when watching australia from home vs italy when lucas neil brought down Grosso. Needless to say i now avoid going to the toilet during the game and religiously go at the breaks.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-09-2016, 09:55 PM
I have lucky socks must wear them to games although they nearly went in the bin after the St Kilda game but I forgave them

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Im a nervous pisser.... Urinator. As a child a watched the bulldogs vs geelong game and went to the toilet just after we had scored a goal late in tue 4th, returned to find bill brownless had won them the game. Same during 97 prelim (went in the last 5 minutes), didnt go 98 and it happened vs st kilda in 09 and 2010 (that low scoring game Etihad where, again, they pipped us at the end) It happened during Australia vs Iran 1998 World cup qualifier (i was there) and when watching australia from home vs italy when lucas neil brought down Grosso. Needless to say i now avoid going to the toilet during the game and religiously go at the breaks.
No liquids before or during the game

Twodogs
13-09-2016, 01:42 AM
Ooh double post could be luck!! Might have to do it Friday :)

Yep. You really need to start doing that again.

You should get one of those cholostemy bags.

Bulldog Joe
13-09-2016, 08:30 AM
I am pleased it is not just me.

A curse shared is a curse weakened.

We will overcome!!!

Twodogs
13-09-2016, 09:06 AM
I noticed on Thursday night that everytime I made myself a hot drink we would have one of those mini-spurts of goals while I actually made said hot drink. While I drank the hot drink we would play quite well and defend the lead we'd built up quite well but if I finished the hot drink something awful like a West Coast goal would happen.

Think I had two coffees and three cups of tea. No wonder I couldn't sleep with all that caffeine.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-09-2016, 12:47 PM
I noticed on Thursday night that everytime I made myself a hot drink we would have one of those mini-spurts of goals while I actually made said hot drink. While I drank the hot drink we would play quite well and defend the lead we'd built up quite well but if I finished the hot drink something awful like a West Coast goal would happen.

Think I had two coffees and three cups of tea. No wonder I couldn't sleep with all that caffeine.
You've done it now, you'll have to take two thermoses and a potty or an empty milk container and wear a kilt.

Bulldog Revolution
13-09-2016, 12:56 PM
I listened to the Coodabeens just to guage the mood of Danny from Droop St

Danny from Droop St – 10 September

[Go ahead your talking to torch]

Gday Torch, its Danny here

[What a Thursday night you must have had Danny?]: Oh mate, it might feel good now, but do you know the damage this does to the dogs moving forward.

[Can you explain?] Well, we drop to pick 14 in next years draft. It will set our rebuild back years. We may never recover from this.

[I think must start favourites next week] No, the psychological damage too, at least if we’d got done in Perth there wouldn’t have been any of us there. But Hawthorn at the G, that will be like having your pants pulled down on the big stage, we will never get over the shame. It could be the beginning of the end torch.

Webby
13-09-2016, 01:00 PM

[What a Thursday night you must have had Danny?]: Oh mate, it might feel good now, but do you know the damage this does to the dogs moving forward.

[Can you explain?] Well, we drop to pick 14 in next years draft. It will set our rebuild back years. We may never recover from this.

[I think must start favourites next week] No, the psychological damage too, at least if we’d got done in Perth there wouldn’t have been any of us there. But Hawthorn at the G, that will be like having your pants pulled down on the big stage, we will never get over the shame. It could be the beginning of the end torch.

I wish there was a website where the Coodabeens posted the "best ofs."
I'd love to sit and Linton to Danny from Droop Street's contributions!

Torpedo
13-09-2016, 02:00 PM
My bulldog socks must be from a different batch. First two times I wore tem on gameday we lost. Finally clicked. Left in drawer on gameday now. Stupid I know! But we have enough curses over us, not going to add one more.

I have lucky socks must wear them to games although they nearly went in the bin after the St Kilda game but I forgave them

always right
13-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Thursday night we had a heap of people at our place watching the game. As things were going well, no-one was allowed to change their seat. I wasn't even allowed to step outside for some fresh air. Conversely if things took a turn for the worse we would have forced everyone to mix things up. I'm sure we weren't the only ones doing this.

Twodogs
14-09-2016, 03:07 AM
I wish there was a website where the Coodabeens posted the "best ofs."
I'd love to sit and Linton to Danny from Droop Street's contributions!

There is a lot of coudabeens talkback on YouTube.

soupman
14-09-2016, 08:44 AM
There is a lot of coudabeens talkback on YouTube.

And you can listen to previous episodes in full as a podcast, just fast forward to the talkback bit.

Twodogs
14-09-2016, 09:42 AM
And you can listen to previous episodes in full as a podcast, just fast forward to the talkback bit.

How far do the episodes go back? I have a box full of audio tapes recording nearly every episode of the coudabeens from 1985. There is a fair bit of Punter to Punter on them as well. God knows if they still work. Haven't listened to them since probably 1985.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Wow we really are tortured individuals. It's almost as if following the dogs has the mental trauma akin to being held captive in a fat mans basement for 10 years!

I have similar thoughts, but at the end of the day realise it's silly - if this stuff were true, it could only be 1 of us!

At the end of the day, i just want to be at the game to soak up the atmosphere. No, it doesn't ever end well, like last year's EF i had this pit in my stomach knowing we would cough it up, and sure enough we did. But it's out of our control ladies and gentlemen!

EDIT: I type this, with the thought in the back of my head all week being it won't end well for us because it never does :(

But we must believe. Leicester City and the Cleveland Cavaliers have shown us that things can change!

soupman
14-09-2016, 10:35 AM
How far do the episodes go back? I have a box full of audio tapes recording nearly every episode of the coudabeens from 1985. There is a fair bit of Punter to Punter on them as well. God knows if they still work. Haven't listened to them since probably 1985.

Having a quick look at the website and that just has the most recent 10 episodes, but the podcast was definitely around last year so there is a possibility there are more elsewhere.

The Pie Man
14-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Last season's membership scarf was the best club issued one yet (note Membership dept if you're reading) but this year's wasn't up to scratch, so it hasn't gotten a run all season....until on my couch last Thursday.

Being worn in tandem with my Cookie Monster club socks seemed to work a treat.

So clearly I'm a sucker for all manner of superstition - but has anyone seen Richard Linklater's latest 'Everybody Wants Some'? There's a great scene where they're talking about players superstitions/habits while playing baseball and essentially how ridiculous it is.

With all that reason in mind, I'm still wary of upsetting the sporting gods

The bulldog tragician
14-09-2016, 05:23 PM

There is a Danny from Droop St twitter account. In the middle of last week's game he was gloomily tweeting: "Having the lead for most of the game is going to make it worse when we cough it up.'

Twodogs
15-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Oh Danny