PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - AFL Finals 2016 Week 2 Semi Final vs Hawthorn

Eastdog
12-09-2016, 09:38 PM
This is the AFL Semi Finals Week 2 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the semi final game against Hawthorn is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2016, 11:41 PM
B

History. First time we've won two finals in a row, in a final series since 1961. And knocked Hawthorn off for the first time.
Whole of team team effort. Led by Bonts. Take that 2015 Grand Finalists in two weeks.
10.1 in the second half
(Hawthorn: Clarko coming into our rooms to congratulate Bevo)

A

Some umpiring against us was plain absurd.
Some poor early misses at goal.

EasternWest
16-09-2016, 11:45 PM
B

Hunter - I've been a vocal critic of his ball use but he used the ball really well tonight.

Suckling - similarly I've been harsh of him but he kept it simple tonight and did his job.

Dunkley - when the whips were cracking he played like a hundred gamer. We've pinched one here, he's a beauty.

A

Cordy - like him. He'll be a good player but had a bit of a mare.

MacAvaney - his name is Hamling, not Hambling.

Stefcep
17-09-2016, 12:23 AM
Bankers

1.Bont
2.Roughie
3. Clay

Anchors

1. Cordy
2. Dickson
3. Umps.

macca
17-09-2016, 12:24 AM
B
picken - stood up , took the marks, won the one on ones and kicked the 2 goals in the final quarter, pure passion.
dunkley- gravitated to the Ball in the first half
Bonts- his clearance work is amazing
whole team just keep believing and trying -'libba , dalhuas , macrae, roughead , hunter had a good game

anchors
Dickson kicking went missing early
umpiring- there are some baffling decisions , how was Webb goal spotted to be touched so far out ???
commentators -so condescend and in disbelief we won. should have given us more credit for the fight and achievement

Eastdog
17-09-2016, 12:48 AM
Bankers

Cannot limit to 3 :)

Our pressure was immense

Bonti you star

Dunkley, JJ, Picken, M Boyd, Roughy, Clay

Anchors

The umpires

Our start to the game and poor goal kicking although that improved as the game went on.

Some of their supporters at the game.

Eastdog
17-09-2016, 12:50 AM
B

History. First time we've won two finals in a row, in a final series since 1961. And knocked Hawthorn off for the first time.
Whole of team team effort. Led by Bonts. Take that 2015 Grand Finalists in two weeks.
10.1 in the second half

A

That was a good gesture.

Stefcep
17-09-2016, 01:32 AM
That was a good gesture.

the post match was not....

whythelongface
17-09-2016, 01:37 AM
Apart from his carrying on about the tackles and lack of holdingt he ball calls I thought he was fine. He was praiseworthy towards us and Bevo.

Remi Moses
17-09-2016, 05:05 AM
B- The turnout ( massive bulldog numbers )
- Not following the narrative of missing easy goals costing us big games
- This playing group is special
A- the pathetic barmy army hawthorn support behind the goal.

Remi Moses
17-09-2016, 05:06 AM

The irony of someone from Hawthorn complaining about umpiring :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
17-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Gonna dissent from the group here. I reckon the umpiring in both finals has been exceptionally good. The slightly extra time given to the ball carrier to release the ball has helped us and improved the game as a spectacle. There will always be 50/50 calls, reckon we've broken square (a few timely big calls have gone our way).

SonofScray
17-09-2016, 09:21 AM
B
1 J Macrae was BOG in a complete, finals performance. Will sit at the top of his highlights reel for at least a week.
2 Bulldog fans. Turned out in numbers, swept the neutrals up and generated a great atmosphere.
3. Bont v Hodge, some defining moments. The young buck embarrassed the old, drink driving bogan POS.

A
1 Dicko's first few set shots. Signs were ominous.
2 AFL. just because.
3 Hodge. Lewis. Mitchell.

hujsh
17-09-2016, 10:26 AM
Special Banker to Easton Wood's goal in the 1st. As a defender and the captain he put a major on the board and helped settle things down when even Dickson was spraying them.

bulldogtragic
17-09-2016, 10:39 AM
Special Banker to Easton Wood's goal in the 1st. As a defender and the captain he put a major on the board and helped settle things down when even Dickson was spraying them.

Great call. A cliche 'captains goal'.

always right
17-09-2016, 10:49 AM
B:
Bont imposing himself on the game
Our team defence on Mitchell.....gave him no time and space
Our "lesser lights"....Smith, Dunkley and McLean were all immense

A:
Dickson picked a fine time to develop the yips
Free kicks against Roughy at the centre bounce were puzzling
I still got nervous in the last quarter as they slowly pegged us back

EasternWest
17-09-2016, 10:51 AM
Gonna dissent from the group here. I reckon the umpiring in both finals has been exceptionally good. The slightly extra time given to the ball carrier to release the ball has helped us and improved the game as a spectacle. There will always be 50/50 calls, reckon we've broken square (a few timely big calls have gone our way).

Nup, I agree with you. I hate the deliberate out if bounds rule and the below the knees rule, but at least they're being consistent on it.

Other than that, I've been satisfied with the umpiring for the most part. My biggest frustration with the umpires is their incessant desire to make themselves part of the game, and I think for our two finals they've let the footy speak for itself.

They're still going to make screwups, but I can live with that. I'm not really noticing them for the most part and that's good enough for me.

It's been overlooked a bit, but that was a huge moment. Our captain stood up and delivered when we needed him to. Easton Wood has done a great job as captain.

Ghost Dog
17-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Bankers
Lachie Hunter, Caleb Daniel, Luke D. Our smaller midfielders were sharp as razors.
Liam Picken - Mix of hardness and flair.
The Bont - Was flattened, got up and kept going, always does something clever.

Anchors
Lack of self belief early on.
Luke Hodge whinging to the umps.

westbulldog
17-09-2016, 12:05 PM
Bankers :
The entire Club, players (so many fine games), coaches, staff, officials and supporters, especially those who marched proudly to the G.
The after-match joy on the faces of the Peter Gordon, Susan Alberti, Chris Grant, John Schultz and many others.
The lady, perhaps a trainer, in the rooms after the game weeping at the sheer joy of this victory and what it meant to her.

Anchors
With the achievement of this win there simply are none.

Bulldog4life
17-09-2016, 12:09 PM
B

10.1 in the second half

A

Borderline cheating BT?:D

bulldogtragic
17-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Borderline cheating BT?:D

:D - The first one on Roughy yep. Even all the commentators said it was absurd and not even remotely a free. Making contact in the ruck. But the free given to McLean was not even remotely a free kick. Happy he kicked the goal.

merantau
17-09-2016, 11:52 PM
Banks: The crowd. The atmosphere. The team performance.
Anchs: Missed goals in first half.

Bullies
18-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Nup, I agree with you. I hate the deliberate out if bounds rule and the below the knees rule, but at least they're being consistent on it.

Other than that, I've been satisfied with the umpiring for the most part. My biggest frustration with the umpires is their incessant desire to make themselves part of the game, and I think for our two finals they've let the footy speak for itself.

They're still going to make screwups, but I can live with that. I'm not really noticing them for the most part and that's good enough for me.

It's been overlooked a bit, but that was a huge moment. Our captain stood up and delivered when we needed him to. Easton Wood has done a great job as captain.\

Totally agree the umpiring has been of the highest standard. As a Bulldog supporter I hate what Maclean does. If I was an opposition supporter I would not like it. He is making it a bad habit.

chef
18-09-2016, 08:55 PM
\

Totally agree the umpiring has been of the highest standard. As a Bulldog supporter I hate what Maclean does. If I was an opposition supporter I would not like it. He is making it a bad habit.

It got us an important goal. Hes just playing by the same rules as everyone.

I think eventually itll be play on like ducking is now.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2016, 10:44 PM
\

It's just a poor decision from the non officiating umpire. After what was done to us by a certain hack cheat useless horrible umpire in a prelim final against Lake & worse against Shaggy, it swings in roundabouts. It was a poor decision, and I'm not sure he ducked/dropped or that there was even any high contact. It's about time the roundabout came, and I expect more to balance it out!

LostDoggy
18-09-2016, 11:05 PM
Bankers: Everything Bulldog. The players, the coach, the supporters.

Anchors: Luke Hodge. Just f*** off already mate. Rewatched the highlights reel where Bont wins the contest between the two (aka puts Hodge on his arse), T Boyd walks over to congratulate Bont and Hodge takes a swing at him and Boyd is just like "wtf dude..." and walks off hahahaha. Go back to rot in the hellhole that you crawled out from (Colac lol).

Ozza
18-09-2016, 11:07 PM
Bankers:

Bont - obviously. Superstar.
Macrae - was everywhere and used it as good as he ever has (so did Hunter).
Stringer - creating goals out of nowhere. His first goal where he trapped the ball like a soccer player, then picked it up and snapped it....just freakish. To have a player that can create a goal out of nothing, you just have to accept the odd bizarre moment - because the freak moments win games. Loved seeing him use his pace more last night also.

I don't really have anchors, it was a magical night. All in all, the umpiring was a good standard again. And we probably got a marginally better run than them, again.
Despite Cordy's couple of big mistakes, I thought his role was important. Just as I said last week, I may not be ultimately convinced about him, but right now, with the players we have available, Zaine is giving us flexibility, and playing specific roles.

Anchor for me - for not putting Dunkley and Clay Smith in the bankers...they are bloody terrific the pair of them.

SonofScray
18-09-2016, 11:08 PM

Anchors: Luke Hodge. Just f*** off already mate. Rewatched the highlights reel where Bont wins the contest between the two (aka puts Hodge on his arse), T Boyd walks over to congratulate Bont and Hodge takes a swing at him and Boyd is just like "wtf dude..." and walks off hahahaha. Go back to rot in the hellhole that you crawled out from (Colac lol).

Hodge embarrassed himself, for a good bloke supposedly chic full of courage all I saw was a flog taking dives, embellishing and being faux-tough.

always right
18-09-2016, 11:11 PM

Every player does it now whenever a mark or free kick is paid in front of goal. Clearly coached to try and initiate a response from an opponent in an effort to get a decision reversed. I hate it....even when our own blokes do it. North are past masters at the practice even though I can't recall it ever working. Thankfully umpires appear alert to it.

LostDoggy
18-09-2016, 11:15 PM
Every player does it now whenever a mark or free kick is paid in front of goal. Clearly coached to try and initiate a response from an opponent in an effort to get a decision reversed. I hate it....even when our own blokes do it. North are past masters at the practice even though I can't recall it ever working. Thankfully umpires appear alert to it.

Thats a valid point, but like this is a special kind of hatred circumstance for Hodge haha.

LostDoggy
19-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Bankers-
The Bulldog Tribe-What an amazing night.The atmosphere,passion and electricity was something that I've never experienced in my Doggie life before.
The Bont-He is a once in a generation player,of that their can be no doubt.
The whole team as a collective-What they bring week in,week out,pure heart,commitment and desire for the team cause.

Anchors-
Pffttt not on this night.

ratsmac
19-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Bankers

1. Easton Wood going back and getting our first goal under pressure because we missed a few early. Captain's moment and he nailed it.
2. Clay Smith (just like Wood) getting 2 great pressure goals in the 2nd when we desperately needed them. He has stood up in the 2 finals so far.
3. The whole team and fans for making the most euphoric atmosphere I have ever felt in my 41 years of being a bulldog supporter. It was so so good.

Anchors

1. Tory Dickson - if he kicks straight I'll be putting him in the bankers. Unfortunately he missed what are sitters for his lofty standards.
2. Clarko - hats off to an extraordinary coach and gentleman for congratulating Bevo in the Bulldogs rooms but to whinge about umpires in the presser was a bit tacky. You're better than that mate.
3. Hawthorn for trying to intimidate us at half time. It doesn't work with this crop of bulldogs. It actually makes them more fierce eg. 3rd quarter.