PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night: In your heart of hearts: Win it? Lose it?

bulldogtragic
13-09-2016, 08:12 PM
Well? Win for my vote.

comrade
13-09-2016, 08:22 PM
In my heart, this is the game that nothing goes right for the Hawks. The little tap ons bounce the wrong way, the umpires pay the free kicks that are there and the Hail Mary kick with the game on the line goes straight into our arms.

And that's just the first half.

After half time, the Hawks spirit broken, we just roll over the top of them with Stringer turning it on.

Dogs by 34

LostDoggy
13-09-2016, 09:02 PM
We definitely Win.
10 goal blowout.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2016, 09:38 PM
17-0 in favour. We are a confident bunch! :D

Remi Moses
13-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Hawthorn types already talking about the injustice of having to play at Spotless
Hawthorn hubris again

1eyedog
13-09-2016, 09:41 PM
In my heart, this is the game that nothing goes right for the Hawks. The little tap ons bounce the wrong way, the umpires pay the free kicks that are there and the Hail Mary kick with the game on the line goes straight into our arms.

And that's just the first half.

After half time, the Hawks spirit broken, we just roll over the top of them with Stringer turning it on.

Dogs by 34

Just state for the second time in my life I just want to sit back and say 'This is awesome!'

Worked a treat first time around.

If you vote lose after last Thursday's performance you've obviously gone to every preliminary final loss and are mentally scarred for life.

westdog54
13-09-2016, 09:44 PM
We'll win.

It won't be easy. It won't be a blowout. It'll be tough. It'll be a contest right till the last minute.

But we'll win.

Twodogs
13-09-2016, 10:24 PM
They will fight us to the line but we will win.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-09-2016, 10:31 PM
It's a big ask to back up last week but I think we can do it.

There's a few real keys for them:

- Gibson with his intercept marking/third man up. We need Cordy to do the job again and keep him isolated.
- Burgoyne is arguably their most damaging player, no matter where he plays, particularly in big moments.
- Mitchell for obvious reasons, but I'd look to quell him rather than try and keep him to 15 posessions. He'll always find the ball but if we can close down his space and push him backwards it'll negate his influence.
- Rioli. Genuine match winner.

We need Stringer to have a really good game and we need a contribution from our 22. I think Bevo and the group will be ready again.

LostDoggy
13-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Hadn't beaten West Coast in Perth since 2010,
Havn't beaten Hawthorn since .................2010,
Mmmmm could there be a pattern forming here?

anfo27
13-09-2016, 10:49 PM
I just think its time, its time for a changing of the guard. Our pressure needs to go up a cog and if it does the hawks won't be able to handle it.
Heard a stat today. We haven't won consecutive finals since 1961!!!! Like i said woofers, its just time

LostDoggy
13-09-2016, 10:50 PM
Dare 2 Dream Bulldogs.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2016, 10:55 PM
Currently 17-0. Anyone having a wager on said win?

Twodogs
13-09-2016, 10:59 PM
Hadn't beaten West Coast in Perth since 2010,
Havn't beaten Hawthorn since .................2010,
Mmmmm could there be a pattern forming here?

Hadn't won a final since 2010

LostDoggy
13-09-2016, 11:03 PM

After I had $50 on Turtle after Round5 to win the '97 Brownlow and to be stiffed by that PRICK COLLINS I swore off all Footy betting for good.

Sedat
13-09-2016, 11:05 PM
Hawthorn desperately wanted/needed that week off and home PF for their ageing stars, and they really should have had it. I get the feeling that they were hugely deflated after Friday night, to the point of almost resignation about having to go the hard route again. Their bottom 6 players were so much better in 2015 and their stars were no worse last year - no Lake and Roughead especially has hurt their structure this season.

1eyedog
13-09-2016, 11:05 PM

- Gibson with his intercept marking/third man up. We need Cordy to do the job again and keep him isolated.
- Burgoyne is arguably their most damaging player, no matter where he plays, particularly in big moments.
- Mitchell for obvious reasons, but I'd look to quell him rather than try and keep him to 15 posessions. He'll always find the ball but if we can close down his space and push him backwards it'll negate his influence.

We need Stringer to have a really good game and we need a contribution from our 22. I think Bevo and the group will be ready again.

I know Burgoyne is a sensational player but he can be sensational for 5 minutes and not touch it for 15. That 5 minutes can turn a match and for that reason he's dangerous. Mitchell is the key to how they set up though. He not only gets them going out of the middle almost every time he is the one player on their list who has the ability to constantly kick through our zones and that's killer diller given how much of an emphasis we place on defence.

whythelongface
13-09-2016, 11:06 PM
Come on BT do you really think that anyone will vote the alternative. Actually come to think of it there is no alternative.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Hadn't won a final since 2010

Half of 20 is 10. Half of 10 is 5. Matty Boyd wears jumper number 5 is an All Australian. Bonts is also an All Australian. Last year Stringer was All Australian. His draft buddy was Jackson Macrae. Jackson Macrae played at Oakleigh Chargers in 2012. Toby McLean played at Oakleigh Chargers in 2014. Toby played in a premiership and was best on ground that day. I see the pattern.

So we are going to be premiers this year and Toby McLean wins the Norm Smith.

1eyedog
13-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Hawthorn desperately wanted/needed that week off and home PF for their ageing stars, and they really should have had it. I get the feeling that they were hugely deflated after Friday night, to the point of almost resignation about having to go the hard route again. Their bottom 6 players were so much better in 2015 and their stars were no worse last year - no Lake and Roughead especially has hurt their structure this season.

Hale too. Other than tin arse 70 metre goals at the death they just have not got what they needed out of their big men all year. Ceglar has been serviceable but he's a warrior, McEvoy has been running around like a very old 27 year old. Should be entering his prime but he's languishing and has had his worst year stat wise since 2010.

boydogs
13-09-2016, 11:28 PM
Hawthorn have lost to Melbourne, beaten Collingwood by a point in a dead rubber for the Pies and lost to Geelong in their last 3 games. They're not travelling too well. We lost to Freo but have since brought 5 players back into the side and beaten West Coast in Perth. We've got the better form going in

bornadog
13-09-2016, 11:37 PM
Hawks out in straight sets. We will do what we did to the Coke and destroy these ageing pricks who still think you can go around punching players in the gut from behind (cowards). I hate Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis who no longer can win a contested ball.

The young guns have arrived and destined for victory - bring it on.

LostDoggy
13-09-2016, 11:37 PM
It's the constitution, it's Mabo, it's justice, it's law, it's the vibe.......

merantau
13-09-2016, 11:47 PM
I feel sure we can win this one. Let's take all our chances. A final score of 15-7 to 11-15 would suit nicely.

Sedat
14-09-2016, 12:59 AM
I hate Mitchell.
I can't bring myself to hate a guy who openly derides Essendon players for being the drug cheats that they are, and Selwood for being the filthy cheating ducker that he is. If Mitchell wore Bulldog colors I would absolutely love him for telling it like it is.

1eyedog
14-09-2016, 01:12 AM
I can't bring myself to hate a guy who openly derides Essendon players for being the drug cheats that they are, and Selwood for being the filthy cheating ducker that he is. If Mitchell wore Bulldog colors I would absolutely love him for telling it like it is.

And for playing the way he does - absolute gun.

1eyedog
14-09-2016, 01:12 AM
Who voted lose BOO!

Twodogs
14-09-2016, 01:13 AM

They were pretty funny.

Twodogs
14-09-2016, 01:15 AM
After I had $50 on Turtle after Round5 to win the '97 Brownlow and to be stiffed by that PRICK COLLINS I swore off all Footy betting for good.

How much did you stand to win?

SonofScray
14-09-2016, 01:25 AM
I've got us down for a win. Plenty has to go right for us, but after our last defeat at our hands I felt that we'd walk away from it haven't realised we are good enough to match their best and strong enough to impose ourselves on an unsociable outfit. We saw a change in Bonti's behaviour this season on that front, he has joined Libba as someone openly prepared to bitch slap any faux tough guy stuff. I'm not sure Hawthorn will respond well to us asserting ourselves in that manner.

Ozza
14-09-2016, 09:57 AM

Already have.

bulldogtragic
14-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Already have.

Straight out or margin out of curiosity? A few went margin last week and the boys got them! :D

Topdog
14-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Quietly confident again

Ozza
14-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Straight out or margin out of curiosity? A few went margin last week and the boys got them! :D

I was one who lost due to margin last week, but had said that I'll be very happy to lose my dough and us win by more (never actually thinking we could win by 40+). So I'm going with the same winning (actually losing) formula this week. 1-39+. Because if we beat Hawthorn by 40+, a little extra cash will mean absolutely nothing next to the sheer joy!!

1-39 was $3.15 earlier in the week - now into $3.

Doc26
14-09-2016, 11:53 AM

Breust is also someone we need to quell, such an opportunist around goals and a momentum turner, and like Rioli also brings a lot of forward pressure which they thrive on. In fact their three small forwards Rioli, Breust and Puopolo can be incredibly damaging.

The Doctor
14-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Never will we have a better chance to beat a champion team. Despite our own fitness & injury concerns, I see the Hawks are on the ropes. They really had to beat Geelong to give themselves a chance. Now they are vulnerable with their ageing squad and are not the power they were the last 3 years. They miss Roughead badly.

The men of mayhem are back and are a mean hunting pack. We are in this up to our eyeballs.

The dangers are

- The Hawks have a mastermind coach. Clarko is a genius.
- Burgoyne

I think Bevo has the IQ to match Clarko in the tactical game. This will be brilliant to watch

Burgoyne is the dangerman. If it's close going into the last 1/4 I hope we place a hard tag on him. Picken has to go to him surely?

I would also send Clay Smith to Hodge.

Eastdog
14-09-2016, 03:36 PM
I voted for win it and make that 35 votes.

I believe we can do it

LostDoggy
14-09-2016, 06:00 PM
How much did you stand to win?

Got on him when I think he was about 20-1.
So $1000 large :(

bulldogtragic
14-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Got on him when I think he was about 20-1.
So $1000 large :(

Bloody hell, we should've challenged the suspension in the Supreme Court for you as well as Turtle.

Smads57
14-09-2016, 06:33 PM
I have been considering the times we have played in finals and lost, played Hawthorn in finals and lost etc. It MUST be our turn this week (swings and roundabouts).

Far more confident against Hawthorn (versus Geelong)

DOG GOD
14-09-2016, 07:33 PM
For me, it comes down to the influence of Rioli and Puopolo. We cant have them one out in the forward 50, playing a pagans paddock style of game, where the ball goes over the back to allow them to run on to it. As much as Burgoyne has the influence, to me, its these 2 that we HAVE to stop. If they kick 6 between them, we are in trouble.

Hodge and Lewis in particular will be given free reign by Clarkson to come out aggressive and dirty, and for this, id almost start stringer or smith in the centre, otherwise I feel their intimidation on the likes of bonti, hunter and libba wont be pretty.

Happy Days
14-09-2016, 07:53 PM
Honestly, I think we lose, for a number of reasons;

- When you play Hawthorn in September, you're not really playing Hawthorn as much as you're playing this idea of Hawthorn, all-conquering triple premiership deities. I know most statistical measures suggest a decline, but if not for one kick at the end of the game we aren't playing them this week. I won't believe they're dead until I see them go in the ground.

- We are still significantly injured, and put a lot of miles into some sore bodies last week. I'm worried about how we hold up.

- Speaking of that last play last week; that ball movement looks not only exactly like what cost us in round 3, but what could cost us playing our style on a bigger ground. The same concerns I had last week about our press not holding up to a ground of larger dimensions weren't fully eroded as much as my suspicions of West Coast being built for off-broadway were confirmed. Having to play deeper into the wings will see greater holes opened up through the middle, and with it a very real potential of Birchall-to-Burgoyne-to-Hodge-to-Gunston-to-Goals all night long.

We were excellent last week in getting back to our style of scoring from forward entries and sweating the ball carrier everywhere, but I'm highly uncertain of us winning this week. Not that we aren't backing up, more that this side at this ground puts the fear of god (not the band) into me.

Mantis
14-09-2016, 08:12 PM
HD,

Whilst I too aren't feeling super confident for some of the reasons mentioned, the aura of Hawthorn, the bigger (wider) ground, etc.. I'm learning, as hard as it is as a Dogs fan, too have a little faith.

No reason at all that we don't win this week.. We play with manic pressure, we stick our tackles and we respect the ball and we win this game.. We will get our hands on the ball, what we do with decides our fate.. But I'm confident that we have enough quality players that they will make the right call... We are young and inexperienced opposed to the Dawks, but shit teams don't go to Perth and belt the Eagles off the park.. They don't.

So have some faith such that when you're making your way to the 'G that you are doing so knowing our team will take some beating.. And at some time the champ gets knocked the *!*!*!*! out.. It's about time we did some punching.

comrade
14-09-2016, 08:20 PM
There is an end to every era. One moment where it was kind of inconceivable that it would ever actually happen...until it did. Happened to Brisbane, happened to Geelong (though of course they've bounced back). It will happen to the Hawks. Let's make Friday that moment.

The other thing that throws a spanner in the works is the bye and subsequent 8 day break for us. This has added a whole new dimension to the finals and gives the lower placed teams a better chance at knocking off the higher rated teams.

Remember there was only a few games separating 1st and 7th. Hawks had bugger all percentage on us too.

Yeah, they should have won last week but that says more about Geelong, IMO.

We're not too far off them and at our best, we can definitely put them to the sword. We turned a 5 goal deficit into a 3 goal lead last time we played. We can score on this team.

We have the coach, we have the star power and we have the Bont.

If we win Friday, literally anything can happen after that.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Breust is also someone we need to quell, such an opportunist around goals and a momentum turner, and like Rioli also brings a lot of forward pressure which they thrive on. In fact their three small forwards Rioli, Breust and Puopolo can be incredibly damaging.

These 3 players together with Gunston makes up a very talented Hawthorn attack. I would start Morris on Rioli, Biggs to Puopolo, JJ on Bruest and Wood to take Gunston.

comrade
14-09-2016, 08:31 PM
These 3 players together with Gunston makes up a very talented Hawthorn attack. I would start Morris on Rioli, Biggs to Puopolo, JJ on Bruest and Wood to take Gunston.

I like Hamling on Gunston, Wood on Breust. Boyd can take Poppy and Biggs runs off the resting ruck. Morris on Rioli is good, probably a littl quick for Moz no but he can do the job.

Daughter of the West
14-09-2016, 09:11 PM
I had a very laissez-faire attitude to this match (what will be will be, what a bonus to make it here, blah, blah, blah) and then I watched the inner sanctum video from last week on the Bulldogs website. Absolute chills. Now I really want to win. Really, REALLY want to win. For every inch of blood, sweat and tears that every cog in the wheel that is the FFC t/a the Western Bulldogs has put in this year. And I think that belief might have finally come to the Whitten Oval. Just a waft, just a tiny, barely perceptible breeze that wasn't noticed at first but has become, not overwhelming, but just enough to gently perfume the air with the sweet smell of genuine hope. These boys are the new breed, and I'm convinced that Bevo can lead them there. To the ultimate prize. OUR ultimate prize.

LostDoggy
14-09-2016, 10:17 PM
I'm one of the downers, I think they'll juuuust snatch the win in the dying minutes. I hope like hell I'm wrong though.

AndrewP6
14-09-2016, 10:21 PM
Sticking with my pessimistic nature, I can't tip us. I said that last week too, so hopefully I'm wrong again. Start of the season I said 2nd week of finals would be a good result...here we are. Looking forward to seeing what we can produce.

LostDoggy
15-09-2016, 10:40 AM
It's the Semi Final match-up we should have had last year. I'm glad it's panned out this way though. We weren't ready to defeat the champs last year, this year we are ready.

It's time Doggies. We can do this.

The Pie Man
15-09-2016, 10:52 AM
I'm having a strange week - complete opposite to last, in that the closer to the game we get, the more I think we'll struggle to get over the line.

Still think we have the tools to match this lot - just feel like Hawthorn will get us.

In our stage of development, I'm just rapt we got to an MCG semi. Still really looking forward to getting there and seeing what we can dish up. Will be hot early - if we can limit their outside possession and keep the ball forward of centre in contests like we did last week, then we'll be in it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-09-2016, 11:22 AM
It's a weird feeling. I can't remember ever looking more forward to a game of football whilst at the same time being so worried about the outcome.
I definitely think we can win...but I also can't help but feel that the Hawks will really come out breathing fire and may just be wanting to make a statement to the football world.
I hope we win and I think it is not unreasonable to think we are a very real chance.. but maybe it is the scars of too many past final's miseries that can't help but feel the Hawks will get up.

1eyedog
15-09-2016, 01:37 PM
The wolf climbing up the mountain is always hungrier than the one sitting on top. Weird saying from my Nana bless her soul.

Twodogs
15-09-2016, 08:15 PM
Sounds like something Stalin would say.

Stefcep
15-09-2016, 08:23 PM
I think you can tell how the game will play out from the first few minutes: will we be first to the ball, will that then hit a team mate, will we convert the opportunity. If they get out of the blocks and put on 3 goals in the first 5 minutes its gonna be a long night.

I'm certain Hodge and Lewis will very early on physically intimidate our younger players. Pop always said avoid a blue but if you know its coming get in first and make it count.

Flamethrower
15-09-2016, 08:25 PM
I'm struggling to make a case for us this week. The annoying thing is that I think we are a real chance against the Giants, whereas the Hawks will be destroyed by them.

Bulldog4life
15-09-2016, 08:30 PM
We will win and history will be made. Hawks have never gone out in straight sets before

bulldogtragic
15-09-2016, 08:38 PM
The wolf climbing up the mountain is always hungrier than the one sitting on top. Weird saying from my Nana bless her soul.

I'm confused, why is the wolf on top less hungry?

Remi Moses
15-09-2016, 08:39 PM
I'll be annoyed if I hear we have nothing to lose nonsense .
We have everything to lose, as they do .

chef
15-09-2016, 08:48 PM
I'm confused, why is the wolf on top less hungry?

I guess the one on top has had its hunger satisfied. The only climbing hasnt yet.

bulldogtragic
15-09-2016, 08:50 PM
I guess the one on top has had its hunger satisfied. The only climbing hasnt yet.

Why is there more food at the top?

hujsh
15-09-2016, 11:02 PM
Why is there more food at the top?

I guess the mountain is a metaphor within the metaphor. A meta metaphor

LostDoggy
15-09-2016, 11:49 PM

Hope your not suggesting that 1ED's Nanna was Stalin. That's quite the insinuation.

1eyedog
16-09-2016, 07:46 AM

Funny you say that she was a Russian and was very much like Stalin minus the mass murders. She answered a lot of questions with old sayings.

Daughter of the West
16-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Funny you say that she was a Russian and was very much like Stalin minus the mass murders. She answered a lot of questions with old sayings.

I did think that the quote sounded rather Slavic (my grandmother was Polish).

Any sayings about wolves eating hawks? I've lost my optimism from earlier in the week... I'm now nervous as hell!

Murphy'sLore
16-09-2016, 02:24 PM
I think I need to change my vote... Terrified.