PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Build Up?

comrade
14-09-2016, 11:02 AM
If my fellow WOOFers are anything like me, I'm sure you're all obsessively refreshing this forum, reading any relevant footy news, watching highlights from the year, maybe replaying the Eagles final for the 17th time.

Are you doing anything out of the ordinary?

I'm actually watching every Rocky movie throughout the week, just to get pumped up for Friday. Rocky was our round 3 match, the reigning champ gets the points. I'm hoping Rocky II is the semi, where Rocky knocks Apollo Creed out. The prelim will be Rocky III, the underdog vs the brash, arrogant young Clubber Lang. And the grand final will be Rocky IV against the unbeatable Ivan Drago, likely against the Cats who have bitch slapped us for decades.

Come on Balboa!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-09-2016, 11:29 AM
Mostly spend the day feeling nauseous

MrMahatma
14-09-2016, 11:29 AM
I'm on a plane tomorrow morning from Brisbane. A few work meetings falling quite fortunately in Melbourne on Thursday and Friday... so I'll be there Friday night.

My build up is to try and wade through a seriously stressful period at work, while being completely distracted about footy. I'm doing exactly what you described in the first para.

Friday will be to the pub early doors. Bring it on!

bornadog
14-09-2016, 12:21 PM
My only issue this week is I can't get any work done.

1eyedog
14-09-2016, 01:51 PM
Worrying about getting sick and missing the game, stressing over the view from my seat, counting down the hours, minutes and seconds, stressing over how we are going to get over GWS / wondering whether they'll shift the venue. Just stressing really.

craigsahibee
14-09-2016, 01:55 PM
Trying to stay focussed on spreadsheets and local government tenders, but this website isn't helping.

My aim is to keep this week pretty low key, but every bloody conversation seems to be footy related. Doesn't help when work colleagues keep asking about Prelim's in Sydney and Grand Final parades.

Happy Days
14-09-2016, 02:42 PM
Last Thursday I drank 6 coffees and listened to My Pal by God over the top of some footy highlights. I don't know if my heart can take it becoming my pre-game ritual.

Mofra
14-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Last Thursday I drank 6 coffees and listened to My Pal by God over the top of some footy highlights. I don't know if my heart can take it becoming my pre-game ritual.
Liked post due to the choice of song.

1eyedog
14-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Liked post due to the choice of song.

times two

Mantis
14-09-2016, 04:05 PM
I'm trying to keep my positivity and expectation under wrap as the last time I was this excited for a game ( other than a PF) was the QF of '08 which was a *!*!*!*!ing disaster... Different time, different team, but the memories remain.

BTW the replay is on Fox Footy again.

Twodogs
14-09-2016, 05:20 PM
You're my only friend and you don't even like me

Cyberdoggie
14-09-2016, 05:27 PM
I'm trying to keep my positivity and expectation under wrap as the last time I was this excited for a game ( other than a PF) was the QF of '08 which was a *!*!*!*!ing disaster... Different time, different team, but the memories remain.

BTW the replay is on Fox Footy again.

In terms of payback on certain teams for finals losses the Hawks are right up there, and having family members that are Hawthorn members adds fuel to the fire for me. For once a finals victory against them would be ever so sweet.
They were even pitying me last night, saying how it's sad that we have to play each other and that the dogs are doing so well.

A bit of useless trivia:
I was looking into our finals history and let's say it's not pretty.

Hawthorn 8 games, 0 wins
Adelaide 3 games, 0 wins
Geelong 10 games, 2 wins.

total finals 46 , 15 wins.

Time to change history starting last Thursday.

Ozza
14-09-2016, 05:51 PM
In terms of payback on certain teams for finals losses the Hawks are right up there, and having family members that are Hawthorn members adds fuel to the fire for me. For once a finals victory against them would be ever so sweet.
They were even pitying me last night, saying how it's sad that we have to play each other and that the dogs are doing so well.

A bit of useless trivia:
I was looking into our finals history and let's say it's not pretty.

Hawthorn 8 games, 0 wins
Adelaide 3 games, 0 wins
Geelong 10 games, 2 wins.

total finals 46 , 15 wins.

Time to change history starting last Thursday.

The Hawthorn record is 4 games for 4 losses (rather than 8.....but I'm sure every Hawthorn loss feels like x 2. )

For me, I've spent the last few days consuming EVERYTHING in the media football related including replaying the WCE game. Today, I ended up having a few cheeky beers at lunch with a mate, and ultimately was distracted by the replay being on in the background!

Tomorrow is a 'work from home' day for me. I'll be up early getting some stuff done so that I can get across to the kennel by 9:30 for 10am training.

On Friday, I have an industry function on at crown palladium for lunch - with Dipper, Daisy Pearce and Marc Murphy as the guest speakers...it finishes at 3 - and I'll likely just go straight to the G and wait for gates to open.

Certainly one of the most unproductive periods of a tragic bulldog's life - when the dogs are in the finals.

Happy Days
14-09-2016, 05:56 PM
You're my only friend and you don't even like me

Isn't that perfectly fitting of the Dogs most of the time?

bornadog
14-09-2016, 06:01 PM
On Friday, I have an industry function on at crown palladium for lunch - with Dipper, Daisy Pearce and Marc Murphy as the guest speakers...it finishes at 3 - and I'll likely just go straight to the G and wait for gates to open.

Certainly one of the most unproductive periods of a tragic bulldog's life - when the dogs are in the finals.

Fed Square - MARCH TO THE G

Ozza
14-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Fed Square - MARCH TO THE G

I have to line up outside the MCC - first in best dressed for levels 2&3 - so the march isn't an option for me again this year. Gates open at 5 - so I plan to be in the line before 4. Last year I saw the march coming in over the bridge from the window of one of the bars....very impressive.

Smads57
14-09-2016, 06:28 PM
I don't know how to feel - trying not to think too far ahead, just enjoying all the positive media about our football club. Going to bed at night having happy dreams....

SonofScray
14-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Great thread and opening post. I do a Rocky marathon twice a year, alternating with Karate Kid Trilogy, Top Gun, Braveheart and The Rookie.

My finals build up has looked a bit like this:
Listen to SEN on the way to work.
15min footy chat with other Scraggers on site.
Plug away at work, one eye on Twitter.
Get home, pick up my 9 month old from the floor, turn off Sesame St and put on my Footscray playlist.

Footscray Playlist:
Sons of the West - Mike Brady version
Footscray - Rob Fairbairn
When The Outer Roars - 85 VFL Grand Final anthem.
It's the Game - Rob Fairbairn
We'll Be Coming (Down the Road) - Tartan Specials feat. The Hampden Roar.
That's What I like About Football - Greg Champion
One Day In September - Mike Brady
This Is The Moment - Anthony Warlow
Runnin' It - Diafrix
The Gangs All Here - Dropkick Murphys
The Touch - stan Sebastian
Baba O'Riley - The Who.

Maisie and I march around the house for a few hours to this playlist.

Read forums until midnight, go to bed. Rinse and repeat until game day.

On Saturdays I go for a run and make sure I double past the Braybrook Hotel and nod to EJ and Dougie. Drive past WO on the way into the game and yell out CARN THE SCRAY as we go past the stadium and any Scraggers in their colours walking the streets.

Twodogs
14-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Isn't that perfectly fitting of the Dogs most of the time?

Could be our theme song

Great thread and opening post. I do a Rocky marathon twice a year, alternating with Karate Kid Trilogy, Top Gun, Braveheart and The Rookie.

My finals build up has looked a bit like this:
Listen to SEN on the way to work.
15min footy chat with other Scraggers on site.
Plug away at work, one eye on Twitter.
Get home, pick up my 9 month old from the floor, turn off Sesame St and put on my Footscray playlist.

Footscray Playlist:
Sons of the West - Mike Brady version
Footscray - Rob Fairbairn
When The Outer Roars - 85 VFL Grand Final anthem.
It's the Game - Rob Fairbairn
We'll Be Coming (Down the Road) - Tartan Specials feat. The Hampden Roar.
That's What I like About Football - Greg Champion
One Day In September - Mike Brady
This Is The Moment - Anthony Warlow
Runnin' It - Diafrix
The Gangs All Here - Dropkick Murphys
The Touch - stan Sebastian
Baba O'Riley - The Who.

You're missing Footy by Spiderbait, Graham 'Jerker' Jenkin- the Back Upon Which Jezza Jumped by TISM and Monday's Experts by Weddings Parties Anything.

Oh and Ballll, Yes by Aloi Head and the Victa Motors

Happy Days
15-09-2016, 12:00 AM
You're missing Footy by Spiderbait

I like footy, we like footy, he likes footy, kick that footy,

I like footy, we like footy, she likes footy, I HATE FOOTY

AKA the 2009 preliminary final.

1eyedog
15-09-2016, 08:51 AM
I like footy, we like footy, he likes footy, kick that footy,

I like footy, we like footy, she likes footy, I HATE FOOTY

AKA the 2009 preliminary final.

Chuck a specka

Twodogs
15-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Chuck a specka

Footy day in Finley town. At two o'clock the siren sounds.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Trying to keep it low key (after 14 finals campaigns, i'm a bit more measured these days). Although i did put a flag up on the roof last weekend. Which fell off today, so, just hoping that's not a sign. Been exercising the vocal chords each day in preparation. And logging on to WOOF twice as often as usual.

LostDoggy
15-09-2016, 09:38 PM
I get to work at 6.30am. Do nothing productive for eight hours because my job is basically useless anyway. Avoid my Hawthorn supporter boss. Drive the one hour drive home. Jump on the train, pre drink for four hours at Transport bar before stumbling to the MCG. Panic.

LostDoggy
15-09-2016, 11:37 PM
Let's just Friggin Get It On Like Donkey Kong!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

BulldogBelle
16-09-2016, 07:27 AM
Well it has started.
Woke up at 3.30am this morning thinking of tonight. Could not get back to sleep so got up and watched the Dogs v Eagles final again.
It is going to be a long day. Nervous but confident.
Go Dogs!

1eyedog
16-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Footy day in Finley town. At two o'clock the siren sounds.

yeah yeah yeah yeah

bornadog
16-09-2016, 09:40 AM
I have found myself listening to those morons on SEN - currently listening to Dickhead Francis and Ox. Walls has picked us to win, I think the first media person to do so.

comrade
16-09-2016, 10:02 AM
I have found myself listening to those morons on SEN - currently listening to Dickhead Francis and Ox. Walls has picked us to win, I think the first media person to do so.

Francis Leach, a surname has never suited someone better.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-09-2016, 10:59 AM
And no work will be done on this day.

Starting to feel the nerves. Gee I hope we find a way to punish this mob.

LostDoggy
16-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Called in sick. Just flat out told my boss zero work would be done today so I may as well be home.

80,000+ all eyes on us tonight. This is massive

Bulldog4life
16-09-2016, 01:28 PM

Tony Shaw did too

comrade
17-09-2016, 08:33 AM
If my fellow WOOFers are anything like me, I'm sure you're all obsessively refreshing this forum, reading any relevant footy news, watching highlights from the year, maybe replaying the Eagles final for the 17th time.

Are you doing anything out of the ordinary?

I'm actually watching every Rocky movie throughout the week, just to get pumped up for Friday. Rocky was our round 3 match, the reigning champ gets the points. I'm hoping Rocky II is the semi, where Rocky knocks Apollo Creed out. The prelim will be Rocky III, the underdog vs the brash, arrogant young Clubber Lang. And the grand final will be Rocky IV against the unbeatable Ivan Drago, likely against the Cats who have bitch slapped us for decades.

Come on Balboa!

Hawks went into full Apollo Creed mode tonight, with the flags around the ground and the marching band to lead the team out.

Ain't gonna be no re-match!

Time for Clubber Lang.