PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 Team, 2017.

Pages : [1] 2

bulldogtragic
16-09-2016, 12:21 PM
I thought I'd start this early for discussion sake: It's hard to do, and I'd imagine even harder to play against.

B: Morris Adams/Collins M. Boyd
HB: Murphy Cordy Wood
C: Suckling Bonts Macrae
HF: Crameri Cloke Stringer
F: Dickson T. Boyd McLean
R: Roughy Libba Dahl
Int From: Hunter Biggs Daniel Picken JJ Dunkley Webb Campbell

TBA - Incoming Free Agents & Trades
TBA - Outgoing players possibly Stevens, Smith Hrovat, Jong, Honeychurch, Hamling (all not selected until contracts signed)

westdog54
16-09-2016, 02:22 PM
The scariest thing about your team? The players that didn't make your starting 18.

That's some serious talent sitting on the pine and if we're fit and ready to go we'll have some massive selection headaches.

LostDoggy
16-09-2016, 02:46 PM
Clay Smith?

bulldogtragic
16-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Clay Smith?

Touché. I will add him to the uncontracted list.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2016, 03:10 PM
The scariest thing about your team? The players that didn't make your starting 18.

That's some serious talent sitting on the pine and if we're fit and ready to go we'll have some massive selection headaches.

And guys doing well at VFL who've shown a bit like Dale, Roarke, Williams etc. - And we may trade in and grab a free agent.

Match Committee is going to be a seriously tough job.

comrade
16-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Expect Williams to entrench himself in the best 25, if not best 22 by the end of the year.

Kid has all the tools required.

Also, you have to put JJ in the starting 18. I have him in our top 3-5 most important players.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Expect Williams to entrench himself in the best 25, if not best 22 by the end of the year.

Kid has all the tools required.

Also, you have to put JJ in the starting 18. I have him in our top 3-5 most important players.

It's a nearly impossible task. Have a crack and weigh up your bench. Picken was outstanding in starting us up last week and he's on my bench. Daniel should've won the Rising Star and he's there too. I haven't even factored in uncontracted players into the team. We just have a very good list and nailing down 22 is going to be tough.

Mofra
16-09-2016, 03:36 PM
B: Biggs Morris M. Boyd
HB: JJ Adams Wood
C: Hunter Bonti Macrae
F: Dickson T. Boyd Smith
Int: Daniel Picken JJ Suckling
Em: Campbell Dunkley Mclean

Assuming Bobby isn't right to go and Hamling is traded.
Tough gig, have gone shorter in the backline to put more run there as it is a real competitive advantage of ours.
Wish there was room for Williams on the pine, rate him really highly.

Rocket Science
16-09-2016, 04:01 PM
B: Biggs Morris M. Boyd
HB: JJ Adams Wood
C: Hunter Bonti Macrae
F: Dickson T. Boyd Smith
Int: Daniel Picken JJ Suckling
Em: Campbell Dunkley Mclean

Assuming Bobby isn't right to go and Hamling is traded.
Tough gig, have gone shorter in the backline to put more run there as it is a real competitive advantage of ours.
Wish there was room for Williams on the pine, rate him really highly.

I could get used to not one but two JJs in the side.

Mofra
16-09-2016, 05:31 PM
I could get used to not one but two JJs in the side.
Dammit!
Going to be hard to split McLean and Dunkley for the spot - replace JJ with Motlop is the gut feel.

bornadog
16-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Can't think that far ahead, mind on tonight

Mantis
16-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Can we field 2 teams next year?

It's going to be tough fitting 30-35 into 22.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Can we field 2 teams next year?

It's going to be tough fitting 30-35 into 22.

I wonder how many players on the list are thinking the same, and perhaps looking to trade out to get a regular game elsewhere?

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 02:15 PM
B: Morris Roberts/Cordy M. Boyd
HB: Murphy Adams Wood
C: Suckling Bonts Macrae
Int From: Hunter Biggs Daniel Picken JJ Jong Dunkley Smith Campbell

LostDoggy
20-10-2016, 05:00 PM
B: Johannisen - Morris - M Boyd
HB: Murphy - Adams - Wood
C: Macrae - Libba - Hunter
HF: Stringer - Cloke - Picken
F: Dickson - Boyd - Smith
R: Roughy - Bonti - Dahlhaus
INT: Roberts, Crameri, Daniel, Biggs
EME: Dunkley, Suckling, McLean

Cordy is a better player than Roberts, but as a defender I think Roberts has the runs on the board at this stage.

comrade
21-10-2016, 02:10 PM

Cordy is a better player than Roberts, but as a defender I think Roberts has the runs on the board at this stage.

Yeah, that's pretty close IMO.

Crazy to think that Cordy, Dunks & McLean miss out. 3 Immortals right there.

Ozza
21-10-2016, 02:25 PM
B: Wood: Morris; Johannisen
HB: Murphy; Adams; M.Boyd
C: Macrae; Liberatore; Hunter
HF: Picken; T.Boyd; C.Smith
F: Dickson; Stringer; Crameri
R: Roughead; Bontempelli; Dahlhaus
Int: Roberts; Dunkley; Biggs; Daniel

At this stage - from the GF team I have;

Adams replacing Hamling
Crameri replacing Z.Cordy (who is particularly unlucky)
Murphy in for a dreadfully unlucky McLean.

No place for Suckling, Cordy, McLean, Campbell, Webb - who were all significant contributors in 2016. McLean may just improve by so much in the pre-season that he jumps past a few.
No place for Cloke by a fair way at this point.
Obviously Red and Wally are out of the picture for a while.

I guess you never have your full side - so we'll see how it pans out.

Easton Wood's spot might be available for a while - if it is true that he will miss 4 months, putting him behind the 8-ball.

1eyedog
21-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Roberts before Cloke? OK.

Eastdog
22-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Quite a bit of quality missing out in some woofers teams but that is a good problem to have for the selection committee.

Also let's not forget Mitch Wallis when he returns and Jack Redpath as well.

AndrewP6
22-10-2016, 11:58 PM
Herald-Sun reporting we have Friday, March 24 vs Carringbush for Round 1.

Happy Days
23-10-2016, 12:00 AM
Herald-Sun reporting we have Friday, March 24 vs Carringbush for Round 1.

Good to see the big clubs still propping up the minnows.

LostDoggy
23-10-2016, 12:33 AM
I'm not game to have a crack. Exciting to see what kind of a preseason the likes of Williams, Webb and co can have. If they tear it up, Bevo and the MC will give them chances sooner rather than later.

Eastdog
23-10-2016, 12:41 AM
I'm not game to have a crack. Exciting to see what kind of a preseason the likes of Williams, Webb and co can have. If they tear it up, Bevo and the MC will give them chances sooner rather than later.

Yes it is really for me as well to early at this stage to name the round 1 team. Will be certainly looking forward to the training reports out from the Whitten Oval in the off season.

Eastdog
23-10-2016, 12:43 AM

Good that we might be starting the season at either the G or Etihad against a fellow Victorian club.

bornadog
23-10-2016, 12:45 AM
Good that we might be starting the season at either the G or Etihad against a fellow Victorian club.

Its been awhile, we seem to play either West Coast, Freo or Brisbane for round 1 every year. Trivia Eatsy, when is the last time we played a Victorian team?

Eastdog
23-10-2016, 12:55 AM
Its been awhile, we seem to play either West Coast, Freo or Brisbane for round 1 every year. Trivia Eatsy, when is the last time we played a Victorian team?

Good question and would be a good one for the Bulldog trivia thread. When I became a Doggies member a few years back I remember in 2013 it was the Lions we played first up and we had a great win but the season didn't go so well. 2014 it was the Eagles in Perth and 2015 it was the Eagles again but at Etihad which we one in close one.

kruder
23-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Playing Collingwood at the G Friday night round 1 :)

jeemak
23-10-2016, 11:32 AM

Bummer. I was hoping for another home game against either Adelaide or Fremantle.

Bulldog4life
23-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Playing Collingwood at the G Friday night round 1 :)

In an away game too so no flag unfurling.

Rocco Jones
23-10-2016, 11:55 AM
I think Zaine Cordy vs Roberts might come down to match ups earlier on in the season. Roberts more suited to the teams with multiple tall aerial threats like Crows and GWS, Zaine more suited to smaller forward lines.

cinder
23-10-2016, 07:03 PM
In an away game too so no flag unfurling.

Good because I have a wedding in NZ :/

bornadog
23-10-2016, 11:18 PM
Good because I have a wedding in NZ :/

I thought you were already married.:D

cinder
23-10-2016, 11:34 PM
I thought you were already married.:D

Yeah but my husband wouldn't let me buy the $2k framed guernsey thing ;) :)

jazzadogs
24-10-2016, 01:27 AM
Back 6:
Certain starters are Wood, JJ, Morris.
Boyd, Bob, Suckling, Biggs, Williams, Webb to fight it out for the other 2 running spots in that order.
Adams, Roberts, Cordy, Collins to battle for the tall defender (FB/CHB) position.

Ruckman:
On form it has to be Roughead, with Boyd as his backup. They were phenomenal during the finals series. I predict 2017 will be terrible dissatisfying year for Tom Campbell.

Centres:
Bont, Libba, Daniel, Macrae, Hunter, Dahlhaus are non-negotiable.
Dunks, Jong, Honeychurch next in line.

Forwards:
T Boyd, Stringer, Dickson, Picken are locks.
Crameri is 90%, assuming that he comes back in good nick.
Cloke vs Campbell for a CHF spot.
Clay Smith is in the 22 (likely with more midfield time) with a full pre-season.
Maclean, Bailey Dale and Hamilton, plus draftees and rookies, are leftover.

Leaves us with a side of:

B: Morris, TALL DEF (Adams), RUNNING DEF 1 (Boyd)
HB: RUNNING DEF 2 (Bob), Wood, JJ
C: Macrae, Bont, Hunter
HF: Crameri, CLOKE VS CAMPBELL, Dickson
F: Stringer, Boyd, Picken
R: Roughead, Libba, Dahlhaus
Int: Daniel, RUNNING DEF 3 (Suckling), MID/FWD 1 (Clay Smith), MID/FWD 2 (Dunkley)

There will be plenty of hard decisions come round 1!!!

dukedog
24-10-2016, 05:22 AM

Im liking that......alot.

Ozza
24-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Roberts before Cloke? OK.

You do realise they play in different ends of the ground?

Ozza
24-10-2016, 10:25 AM

We got flogged by Essendon in round 1, 2011. Year before that, flogged by Collingwood - both games at Etihad.

1eyedog
24-10-2016, 10:38 AM
You do realise they play in different ends of the ground?

Maybe.

comrade
24-10-2016, 10:51 AM
We got flogged by Essendon in round 1, 2011. Year before that, flogged by Collingwood - both games at Etihad.

That Pies game was one of the most disappointing I've ever had the displeasure of attending.

Big crowd, Bazza rolling out for the first time, flag favourites off the back of the NAB Cup win and we got smoked.

LostDoggy
24-10-2016, 11:07 AM
For what it's worth, there are going to be some very good players miss out early in the season. The selection panel back themselves to get the match-ups right, so I wouldn't be surprised if the line-up changes regularly.

B: Murphy - Adams - M Boyd
HB: Wood - Morris - Johannisen
HF: Crameri - Boyd - Picken
F: Stringer - Dickson - Smith
R: Rough - Bont - Dahl
INT: Jong, Daniel, Biggs, Cordy

So excited to have Crameri back. His second half of 2015 was fantastic!

GVGjr
24-10-2016, 11:13 AM
Giansiraccuser, interesting non selections of Cloke, Roberts, Suckling, McLean and Dunkley. I would have thought a couple of them make the team.

1eyedog
24-10-2016, 11:30 AM
Cloke will play against the Pies you'd think. He's best 22 until he proves he's not. Has runs in the board. Form line resets to zero in the lead up to the preseason comp.

Ozza
24-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Cloke will play against the Pies you'd think. He's best 22 until he proves he's not. Has runs in the board. Form line resets to zero in the lead up to the preseason comp.

I think it is quite the opposite.

He is coming from a team that missed the finals - where he was selected only 13 times to play in the senior team.
And is joining a club that just won the premiership - who ALREADY has players coming back in.

As far as players busting IN to the team go - Crameri is definitely in front of Cloke - he is a much better player at this point in their careers. On what we've seen to date in his career - Cloke can ONLY play forward. Every other player we have (likely) available for round 1's forward line, can play in at least 2 areas of the ground.

I wouldn't be looking to decrease the flexibility of our line up when the list is healthy. I can understand the argument for Cloke strengthening the depth of our list - but I don't agree that he is automatically best 22, or necessarily makes our 22 better.

LostDoggy
24-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Giansiraccuser, interesting non selections of Cloke, Roberts, Suckling, McLean and Dunkley. I would have thought a couple of them make the team.

It's a tough one, but I think our team looks better balanced without those guys. I'm hoping Dunkley and McLean develop into really consistent performers at AFL level, they're a bit stiff but someone has to miss out. I don't think Cloke and Roberts are in our best 22. Suckling's an interesting one. I think he's a good footballer, but I think Murph is better. And I love the way Biggs goes about it, he's the one keeping him out in my mind.

bornadog
24-10-2016, 12:01 PM

5 years straight against interstate teams in round 1, disgraceful by AFEL. I think including next year 3 against Melbourne clubs in 10 years. Why not spread the love.

Ozza
24-10-2016, 12:07 PM
5 years straight against interstate teams in round 1, disgraceful by AFEL. I think including next year 3 against Melbourne clubs in 10 years. Why not spread the love.

Think we are set to get a generous serving of love for the next few years.

Eastdog
24-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Think we are set to get a generous serving of love for the next few years.

Surely now they need to give us a better deal with the fixture. Looking at our Round 1 fixture for next year that is a good start compared to previous years although last year was OK in that we got a lot of Saturday night games.

Topdog
24-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Why is this an away game and why at Etihad? Friday night game, Round 1 and the reigning premiers at home against Collingwood at the G would surely get 70k.

Eastdog
24-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Why is this an away game and why at Etihad? Friday night game, Round 1 and the reigning premiers at home against Collingwood at the G would surely get 70k.

It would be nice to at least get one home game at the G and surely now we would be in the best position now after winning the flag to draw a big crowd.

Ozza
24-10-2016, 01:09 PM

The game is at the MCG.

Topdog
24-10-2016, 01:10 PM
The game is at the MCG.

Ah cool, the talk on the previous page got me thinking it was at Etihad (no one actually said that though)

LostDoggy
24-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Is Murphy a lock for Round 1?

ACL = 12 month injury = Return Round 3 2017 if true to schedule.

Given Murphs age maybe add a couple of months and a VFL game?

Murph back mid year for me.

1eyedog
24-10-2016, 03:01 PM
I think it is quite the opposite.

He is coming from a team that missed the finals - where he was selected only 13 times to play in the senior team.
And is joining a club that just won the premiership - who ALREADY has players coming back in.

As far as players busting IN to the team go - Crameri is definitely in front of Cloke - he is a much better player at this point in their careers. On what we've seen to date in his career - Cloke can ONLY play forward. Every other player we have (likely) available for round 1's forward line, can play in at least 2 areas of the ground.

I wouldn't be looking to decrease the flexibility of our line up when the list is healthy. I can understand the argument for Cloke strengthening the depth of our list - but I don't agree that he is automatically best 22, or necessarily makes our 22 better.

I think that's fair enough as well. His record for mine speaks for itself, he's best 22. We are super keen on him and I think due to his unstable confidence levels he'll be in the team come start of the year, much of it though will depend on his preseason form. He'll definitely make us a better team, even Redpath did that. I don't buy the just played in a premiership line as 2017 is a blank canvas and as I stated in my previous post form lines are out the window. Cloke will get every chance through the preseason comp to prove himself and my thinking is he grew stale at Collingwood.

Re. Crameri we should remember that he has been out of the game for a year, so may or may not come in rusty. For me it comes down to Cloke replacing Redpath, who was a regular fixture up until he did his knee. That tells me we want his type in the team, and Cloke is a better player than Redpath and should prove that leading into round 1.

bulldogtragic
24-10-2016, 03:22 PM
afl.com.au - best 22/ Round 1 Team

B: Shane Biggs, Marcus Adams, Dale Morris
HB: Jason Johannisen, Easton Wood, Robert Murphy
C: Liam Picken, Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae
HF: Jake Stringer, Tom Boyd, Stewart Crameri
F: Luke Dahlhaus, Travis Cloke, Tory Dickson
R: Jordan Roughead, Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter
INT: Caleb Daniel, Matthew Boyd, Clay Smith, Matt Suckling
EMERG: Josh Dunkley, Bailey Williams, Toby McLean

Murphy (knee) and Crameri (suspension) are automatic inclusions, while Cloke will help the forward line structurally and can give a chop-out in the ruck. Impressive youngsters Dunkley, McLean and Zaine Cordy are premiership players, but a strong list sees them just miss out. After a promising debut season was cut short by injury, Adams replaces Fletcher Roberts in the key defensive post. Expect rising midfielders Williams, Bailey Dale and Lukas Webb to be vying for spots early in the season.

NOT CONSIDERED: Jack Redpath (knee – won't return until late in the season), Mitch Wallis (broken leg – will battle to return to his best next season) - Ryan Davidson

LostDoggy
24-10-2016, 06:00 PM

You know what was good? In 2016, when we flogged Fremantle in round 1 (103 to 38) at Etihad.

always right
24-10-2016, 06:02 PM
With Cloke potentially coming into the team and assuming Crameri picks up where he left off....is there an opportunity to push Stringer more into the midfield with stints up forward? Another pre-season and his tank should improve further. Would be a serious point of difference and it would get him more involved in the game.

Topdog
24-10-2016, 06:14 PM
He had a great finals series buy I can see Dickson being pushed out of the forward line. Can be terribly inconsistent at times.

Ozza
24-10-2016, 06:27 PM
You know what was good? In 2016, when we flogged Fremantle in round 1 (103 to 38) at Etihad.

Yep....I was hoping we'd get another ordinary interstate team to flog in round 1 next year!!!! :p

Ozza
24-10-2016, 06:30 PM
He had a great finals series buy I can see Dickson being pushed out of the forward line. Can be terribly inconsistent at times.

He has kicked 90 goals in his last 45 games (2 seasons) for the club.
I hope his team mates are aspiring to be just as inconsistent!!!

LostDoggy
24-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Yep....I was hoping we'd get another ordinary interstate team to flog in round 1 next year!!!! :p

Even better, we get an ordinary Vic team to flog in front of 70,000-80,000.

Topdog
24-10-2016, 07:27 PM
He has kicked 90 goals in his last 45 games (2 seasons) for the club.
I hope his team mates are aspiring to be just as inconsistent!!!
May sound surprising now but I'm a big fan of his. Maybe I'm letting that 4 goals in 6 games streak in the middle of this year get to me

Ozza
24-10-2016, 07:36 PM
May sound surprising now but I'm a big fan of his. Maybe I'm letting that 4 goals in 6 games streak in the middle of this year get to me

For me, I reckon that had a bit to do with his role, and personnel available at the time. We did win all bar one of those games.

Just looking back at his last two seasons, there has only been one game in 45 for him, that he hasn't had a scoring shot. That was the game we lost to St.Kilda last year - but he had 23 possessions that night, which would suggest to me that he was way up the ground.

He's been another great find.

bulldogtragic
24-10-2016, 07:40 PM
And Dicko kicked a heap this year without Crameri taking the better defender all season, Redders, Jake & Tommy out for chunks taking the better-better defenders and no additional big guy almost all year (Cloke in 2017). Dicko is going to eat 4th & 5th string defenders for breakfast for the rest of his career with this forward team and smalls/rotating mids who kick goals. I'm expecting a big, big year for him.

1eyedog
24-10-2016, 08:13 PM
And Dicko kicked a heap this year without Crameri taking the better defender all season, Redders, Jake & Tommy out for chunks taking the better-better defenders and no additional big guy almost all year (Cloke in 2017). Dicko is going to eat 4th & 5th string defenders for breakfast for the rest of his career with this forward team and smalls/rotating mids who kick goals. I'm expecting a big, big year for him.

With Crammers and Cloke in and the sheer number of 50 entries we get, I'm expecting a few have big years.

hujsh
24-10-2016, 11:03 PM
Small forwards typically are inconsistent unless they're the type that get possessions high up the ground. If they aren't consistent chances are they're elite. Dickson's great but not elite

jazzadogs
24-10-2016, 11:38 PM
Small forwards typically are inconsistent unless they're the type that get possessions high up the ground. If they aren't consistent chances are they're elite. Dickson's great but not elite

Dicko definitely is at his best when our midfield is on top, and there is plenty of ball coming into his zone. His workrate at the start of the year was poor, and likely correlated to his limited pre-season. He showed in the finals series that his best is elite (his prelim opposed to Heath Shaw was fantastic).

50 goals, then 40 goals off no pre-season, is a fantastic return. He is definitely best 22 - nobody else makes the most of their opportunities like Dicko.

KT31
25-10-2016, 08:50 AM

Bar the Hawks game when he had the yips, I believe he performed in every other final.
Most accurate kick in the side for goal, I can't see him being omitted.

Ozza
25-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Horror year for goal kicking for Dicko!! His 40.17 didn't stack up at all to his 50.12 the previous season!

comrade
25-10-2016, 10:51 AM
Horror year for goal kicking for Dicko!! His 40.17 didn't stack up at all to his 50.12 the previous season!

That Hawks final...

Topdog
25-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Cloke, Boyd, Crameri, Smith, Stringer, Dickson.

Dunkley and Cordy to drop out of our forward line from the GF.

Could have a season where 5 players kick 30+

Topdog
25-10-2016, 11:02 AM

hahaha a friend said that to me during the Hawks final, "Im just not confident with his kicking anymore". I quickly looked up his stats, something like 32.12, "nah still pretty awesome"

bornadog
25-10-2016, 11:10 AM
The AFL has had a go:

B: Shane Biggs, Marcus Adams, Dale Morris
C: Liam Picken, Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae
HF: Jake Stringer, Tom Boyd, Stewart Crameri
F: Luke Dahlhaus, Travis Cloke, Tory Dickson
R: Jordan Roughead, Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter
INT: Caleb Daniel, Matthew Boyd, Clay Smith, Matt Suckling
EMERG: Josh Dunkley, Bailey Williams, Toby McLean
Murphy (knee) and Crameri (suspension) are automatic inclusions, while Cloke will help the forward line structurally and can give a chop-out in the ruck. Impressive youngsters Dunkley, McLean and Zaine Cordy are premiership players, but a strong list sees them just miss out. After a promising debut season was cut short by injury, Adams replaces Fletcher Roberts in the key defensive post. Expect rising midfielders Williams, Bailey Dale and Lukas Webb to be vying for spots early in the season.
NOT CONSIDERED: Jack Redpath (knee – won't return until late in the season), Mitch Wallis (broken leg – will battle to return to his best next season) - Ryan Davidson

Happy Days
25-10-2016, 11:20 AM
That Hawks final...

More than made up for it by murking Heath Shaw in the next game.

LostDoggy
25-10-2016, 11:36 AM

Dicko is the 3rd most accurate goalkicker in AFL/VFL history since accurate records have been kept (1965).

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/accuracy.html

Ozza
25-10-2016, 11:40 AM
Dicko is the 3rd most accurate goalkicker in AFL/VFL history since accurate records have been kept (1965).

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/accuracy.html

No.1 of all time for players having 100 shots or more.

Ozza
25-10-2016, 11:43 AM
I heard an interview with Dicko during the year, where he was saying that this year he wasn't able to practice his goal kicking as much, because he had more issues with managing his body (niggles) than the previous season, and as a result his kicking hadn't been quite as good.

Still a tremendous level of accuracy, but does give some insight as to the trickle down affect on aspects of a players game, when they have some niggles that impact preparation.

LostDoggy
25-10-2016, 11:53 AM
That goal against Heath Shaw in the prelim, his first I believe, was amazing. Libba let Shaw know about it, Shaw spat the dummy, jumper punches everywhere, brilliant. He's in my best 22 by a fair way.

1eyedog
25-10-2016, 12:53 PM
That goal against Heath Shaw in the prelim, his first I believe, was amazing. Libba let Shaw know about it, Shaw spat the dummy, jumper punches everywhere, brilliant. He's in my best 22 by a fair way.

Not by a fair way for me.

That goal was amazing, but so was McLean's snap on the siren in the granny. McLean's a yard quicker, has a touch more class, is better above his head and is equally proficient in set shots. Dicko is best 22 but I wouldn't be upset if McLean was picked before him and I expect if Dicko does play deep forward that he needs to replicate his 2014 form to be sustainable there.

Mofra
25-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Yep, need Clay "8 goals 1 in finals" Smith to help him out :cool:

bulldogtragic
25-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Yep, need Clay "8 goals 1 in finals" Smith to help him out :cool:

And the behind was his easiest shot. 15m out on a slight angle. Hopefully our straight kicking at the end of the season hangs about next year.

Topdog
25-10-2016, 01:17 PM

That goal was amazing, but so was McLean's snap on the siren in the granny. McLean's a yard quicker, has a touch more class, is better above his head and is equally proficient in set shots. Dicko is best 22 but I wouldn't be upset if McLean was picked before him and I expect if Dicko does play deep forward that he needs to replicate his 2014 form to be sustainable there.

16.11 in his career suggests otherwise.

chef
25-10-2016, 01:27 PM

I'd have Dickson a fair way in front of Toby myself. With Crammers back and Cloke to slot in I can see a big year coming up for Tory.

soupman
25-10-2016, 01:33 PM

Geez as good as McLean was in the finals this is a bit rough on Dickson. He's kicked 90 goals in the past two years, has shown an ability to push up the ground and has stepped up countless times when we have needed someone to convert a goal. He also has an excellent ability to stay in the game without the ball with his pressure. I'd suggest he would just about be our first forward picked, even ahead of Stringer.

1eyedog
25-10-2016, 01:46 PM
I have Dicko in my best 22. I'm saying McLean is snapping at his heels. What I said is that I wouldn't be upset if McLean is selected before him. I'm not saying he should be...

Re. McLean's goal kicking proficiency you need to take into account that many of his opportunities are in general play and that he usually nails his set shots, or at least has at the back end of this season. McLean is less a lead, mark, kick goal than Tory is (even though Tory also hits the scoreboard opportunistically).

Cyberdoggie
25-10-2016, 02:52 PM
I think Toby's scope for improvement is obviously much higher. Especially now coming into his third year, we should see him fill out a bit more and improve on his fitness again, that will make a huge difference to maximizing his ability.

Rocco Jones
25-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Dickson has 90 goals in the last 2 seasons, include 15 goals in 5 finals.

Our side is good, really good but he makes any side's 22.

hujsh
25-10-2016, 08:16 PM

He's a long way off replicating Dickon's output at this point.

1eyedog
25-10-2016, 08:20 PM
He's a long way off replicating Dickon's output at this point.

At this point agreed.

jeemak
25-10-2016, 10:27 PM
There's not a single premiership winning 22 that Dickson wouldn't have gotten a game in based on his form from these past two years.

Remember how we were all dismayed at how high our forwards were playing and how poor our ability to work forward cohesively was when we had cattle out of the side each week and were barely cobbling a side together? That sort of thing has a very big impact on specialist forward pocket and flankers, but Dickson still managed to get his hands on the footy and be involved. Sure it impacted his scoring, but given a different structure there's not reason his numbers from last year wouldn't have been replicated.

I really like Toby, and as for the comparison with he and Dickson he's more inclined to get his hands on the footy. But, hitting the scoreboard at half the rate is a big gap to bridge.

1eyedog
25-10-2016, 10:44 PM
There's not a single premiership winning 22 that Dickson wouldn't have gotten a game in based on his form from these past two years.

Remember how we were all dismayed at how high our forwards were playing and how poor our ability to work forward cohesively was when we had cattle out of the side each week and were barely cobbling a side together? That sort of thing has a very big impact on specialist forward pocket and flankers, but Dickson still managed to get his hands on the footy and be involved. Sure it impacted his scoring, but given a different structure there's not reason his numbers from last year wouldn't have been replicated.

I really like Toby, and as for the comparison with he and Dickson he's more inclined to get his hands on the footy. But, hitting the scoreboard at half the rate is a big gap to bridge.

I have no idea what the last paragraph means.

jeemak
25-10-2016, 10:51 PM
I have no idea what the last paragraph means.

He kick 50% of the goals Tory does, though gets his hands on the footy more.

1eyedog
26-10-2016, 06:32 AM
He kick 50% of the goals Tory does, though gets his hands on the footy more.

Thanks. That will close as Toby plays deeper.

jeemak
26-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Thanks. That will close as Toby plays deeper.

It will be interesting to see if Toby does play deeper, and if he does, whether he can continue to get his hands on it as often.

If he can - and kick two goals a game, he'll be elite.

1eyedog
26-10-2016, 10:15 AM
It will be interesting to see if Toby does play deeper, and if he does, whether he can continue to get his hands on it as often.

If he can - and kick two goals a game, he'll be elite.

I agree and I think he will. Our midfield runs deep and he's a fair way off a midfield role.

Topdog
26-10-2016, 10:50 AM
I agree and I think he will. Our midfield runs deep and he's a fair way off a midfield role.

He has shown a lot in the middle in a small amount of time. His efforts in the last 5 minutes of the prelim (last qtr really) were fantastic.

LostDoggy
29-10-2016, 09:30 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-29/your-clubs-injury-list-heading-into-2017

Positive little article. Reckons Wallis recovery is going well and may be back early in 2017 season, with Jack the only other player missing at R1 at this stage (back later in year). Tom Boyd and Wood only players listed as having significant post-season surgery.

comrade
29-10-2016, 09:47 AM

Positive little article. Reckons Wallis recovery is going well and may be back early in 2017 season, with Jack the only other player missing at R1 at this stage (back later in year). Tom Boyd and Wood only players listed as having significant post-season surgery.

I think Stringer was scheduled to get his AC joint repaired via surgery and I know for a fact that Roughy had a hip clean out. Not sure how significant the surgery was for both however.

KT31
29-10-2016, 09:50 AM

No mention of Bob.

GVGjr
29-10-2016, 09:56 AM

I was hoping that Stringer would get his shoulder looked at as well.

Bulldog4life
29-10-2016, 09:59 AM
I was hoping that Stringer would get his shoulder looked at as well.

i saw him on the news a night or two after the Grand Final saying he was going to have an op on his shoulder.

Go_Dogs
29-10-2016, 11:26 AM
I might be wrong, but thought Tom Boyd had an ankle, too.

azabob
29-10-2016, 07:33 PM
I might be wrong, but thought Tom Boyd had an ankle, too.

You are correct. Done earlier this week.

Rocco Jones
31-10-2016, 11:56 AM
I think our team has really evolved and we will have even more depth next year. The last pick or two each week might come down to match ups, especially down back, and how cherry ripe players are. Our first game is against Collingwood who will be based around a mobile tall in Darcy Moore. I think we will need a more mobile defence (which suits us anyway).

B: Murphy, Adams, M Boyd
HB: Wood, Morris, Johannisen
C: Macrae, Libba, Hunter
HF: Crameri, T Boyd, Picken
F: Stringer, Cloke, Dickson
R: Roughead, Bont, Dahl
I/C: Daniel, C.Smith, Suckling, Biggs
------------------------------------------
Like we did later in the year, only play Suckling if he is cherry ripe. I still rate him as a player but he is easily exposed when he isn't totally right.

If one of Bob or Suckling isn't right= I'd play McLean or Jong
If both aren't right= Cordy or Roberts comes in too

Obviously a fair bit depends on NAB form for last spots.

1eyedog
31-10-2016, 12:02 PM
I think our team has really evolved and we will have even more depth next year. The last pick or two each week might come down to match ups, especially down back, and how cherry ripe players are. Our first game is against Collingwood who will be based around a mobile tall in Darcy Moore. I think we will need a more mobile defence (which suits us anyway).

B: Murphy, Adams, M Boyd
HB: Wood, Morris, Johannisen
C: Macrae, Libba, Hunter
HF: Crameri, T Boyd, Picken
F: Stringer, Cloke, Dickson
R: Roughead, Bont, Dahl
I/C: Daniel, C.Smith, Suckling, Biggs
------------------------------------------
Like we did later in the year, only play Suckling if he is cherry ripe. I still rate him as a player but he is easily exposed when he isn't totally right.

If one of Bob or Suckling isn't right= I'd play McLean or Jong
If both aren't right= Cordy or Roberts comes in too

Obviously a fair bit depends on NAB form for last spots.

Geez hope we cop an injury so we can get McLean in. And then another so we get Dunks in too.

KT31
31-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Geez hope we cop an injury so we can get McLean in. And then another so we get Dunks in too.
Think we have had our fair share, time for another mob to have theirs.

Rocco Jones
31-10-2016, 12:18 PM
We just have to be smart with managing our players. We have a few 6 day breaks. If a player isn't right, look after them. Matthew Boyd, Bob and Suckling to be rested when they aren't right. They can rotate with each other a fair bit and one missing opens up a spot for a mid anyone as we are a bit stacked for their type.

Gotta look after Wood and Morris too.

comrade
31-10-2016, 12:35 PM
We just have to be smart with managing our players. We have a few 6 day breaks. If a player isn't right, look after them. Matthew Boyd, Bob and Suckling to be rested when they aren't right. They can rotate with each other a fair bit and one missing opens up a spot for a mid anyone as we are a bit stacked for their type.

Gotta look after Wood and Morris too.

Williams and Webb are suitable replacements for Bob and Boyd.

Cordy is the perfect Morris understudy.

To outsiders, our backline might look susceptible due to some aging players, but we've got some very talented kids waiting in the wings.

If only we had that same depth in our ruck/forward departments.

comrade
31-10-2016, 12:50 PM
I'm pumped for our 2017 team. Think there are some good kids hungry and ready to jump up.

There's been some discussion about whether we cut into the list enough this year. Thought it was interesting to see the Saints approach. They're generally considered as being 12-24 months behind us in their rebuild, yet they're only taking 2-3 picks in a deep draft this year. Yes, they brought in some mature aged players off other lists (Steele, Stevens, Brown) but these are marginal players who may be top 20-25 on their list as a best case scenario (I don't rate Stevens or Brown at all). They're also upgrading a rookie. So in total, they're only bringing in 5-6 new players onto the list, 3 of which were on the outer at other clubs.

Has our unexpected flag made them change tack?

hujsh
31-10-2016, 01:04 PM
I'm pumped for our 2017 team. Think there are some good kids hungry and ready to jump up.

There's been some discussion about whether we cut into the list enough this year. Thought it was interesting to see the Saints approach. They're generally considered as being 12-24 months behind us in their rebuild, yet they're only taking 2-3 picks in a deep draft this year. Yes, they brought in some mature aged players off other lists (Steele, Stevens, Brown) but these are marginal players who may be top 20-25 on their list as a best case scenario (I don't rate Stevens or Brown at all). They're also upgrading a rookie. So in total, they're only bringing in 5-6 new players onto the list, 3 of which were on the outer at other clubs.

They do have a fair few picks next year thanks to the Hawks though which balances things out a bit.

1eyedog
31-10-2016, 01:14 PM

I don't think the St. Kilda list runs anywhere near as deep as ours and their level of talent is significantly less as well, but I realise this isn't a response to your question. It's pretty clear they're providing some cover for their younger players by bringing in Stevens and Brown but it does seem like they're backing their own in. Which instills confidence in the group.

However, looking at their list in 12-24 months there will be no Riewoldt, Gilbert, Montagna, Fisher and Dempster. That's a big hole because all of these players are playing regular senior football. Armitage will be the other side of 30 as well. My feeling is St. Kilda are again into a half hearted rebuild. They'll play finals the next two years but won't get anywhere near top 4 and when they lose three key backs, Montagna and Riewoldt I think they'll drop off again to a middle rung team.

We were trail blazers how we took the pain with head down arse up never wavering with full confidence in Dal and JMac. Our 2017 is stronger than this year with Bob, Crameri and Cloke in the team, moreso than any other team who played finals this year.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-10-2016, 02:07 PM
I don't think the St. Kilda list runs anywhere near as deep as ours and their level of talent is significantly less as well, but I realise this isn't a response to your question. It's pretty clear they're providing some cover for their younger players by bringing in Stevens and Brown but it does seem like they're backing their own in. Which instills confidence in the group.

However, looking at their list in 12-24 months there will be no Riewoldt, Gilbert, Montagna, Fisher and Dempster. That's a big hole because all of these players are playing regular senior football. Armitage will be the other side of 30 as well. My feeling is St. Kilda are again into a half hearted rebuild. They'll play finals the next two years but won't get anywhere near top 4 and when they lose three key backs, Montagna and Riewoldt I think they'll drop off again to a middle rung team.

We were trail blazers how we took the pain with head down arse up never wavering with full confidence in Dal and JMac. Our 2017 is stronger than this year with Bob, Crameri and Cloke in the team, moreso than any other team who played finals this year.

To be fair, we will also be losing Murph, Boyd and Morris soon from the same area of the ground. Picken won't be too far behind either. Remains to be seen how we cover these guys, particularly the first 3. Williams looks a likely Murph replacement, but i see Morris being the hardest to replace. Hopefully Adams stays and Cordy and Collins really come on. We certainly don't have the reliance on a Riewoldt like they do though. Their best and fairest is still skewed towards the older guys. I think the right signs are there for them but proof will be in the pudding the next few years as to whether their young players can step up.

Our rd 1 team is chock full of talent. Very hard to leave certain players out. But in terms of depth and the future, it's our backline that worries me the most.

LostDoggy
31-10-2016, 02:26 PM

Why the pot shot at the Saints?

If we're being honest, Biggs and Hamling were both on the outer at Sydney and Geelong respectively.

I think the Saints did well.

comrade
31-10-2016, 02:27 PM

If we're being honest, Biggs and Hamling were both on the outer at Sydney and Geelong respectively.

Not a pot shot.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-10-2016, 02:37 PM

I think the saints did well too. Essentially got Stevens and brown for nothing and got some freebie draft picks from hawthorn.

However, it's almost a fork in the road season for them in 2017 and 18. They have a lot of middle of the pack players who need to step up. If they get 5 or 6 to make that step they'll be a force

Twodogs
01-11-2016, 11:54 PM
It'd be handy if Collins showed some progress and played a few senior games.

What are his targets this year? Good preseason then play consistent footy at Footscray. Make the most of any chance that comes his way to play in the AFL team. Play in the VFL or AFL Premiership depending on form.

whythelongface
02-11-2016, 08:56 AM
It'd be handy if Collins showed some progress and played a few senior games.

What are his targets this year? Good preseason then play consistent footy at Footscray. Make the most of any chance that comes his way to play in the AFL team. Play in the VFL or AFL Premiership depending on form.

Collins just needs to work on his trade in the Reserves team. Hopefully he can show signs of improvement and push for a call up to the seniors in the latter half of the year. Needs to continue to learn to position himself to be able to spoil and intercept (similar to Hamling).

Don't really expect him to play senior footy (unless we have injuries). However in saying that if he were to play a few games throughout the season it may assist with his development.

bornadog
02-11-2016, 09:56 AM
Collins just needs to work on his trade in the Reserves team. Hopefully he can show signs of improvement and push for a call up to the seniors in the latter half of the year. Needs to continue to learn to position himself to be able to spoil and intercept (similar to Hamling).

Don't really expect him to play senior footy (unless we have injuries). However in saying that if he were to play a few games throughout the season it may assist with his development.

Collins is still very young, turns 19 in December, so will be 19 throughout the season next year. I expect him to play a couple of games while he still develops in the VFL.

bulldogtragic
02-11-2016, 11:05 AM
Collins is still very young, turns 19 in December, so will be 19 throughout the season next year. I expect him to play a couple of games while he still develops in the VFL.

So he's still got some growing left in him. Bloody hell! :D

S Coast Simon
02-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Would love to see Dad in the seniors for a few games but I'm not sure if a debut on Cameron is such a good idea. Maybe bring him in on a couple of lesser forwards. I don't think a debut on one of the hardest running forwards did a lot for his confidence.

always right
02-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Not a bad article by Buckenara but really surprised that he would look at moving Bailey Williams on. Bailey is one player I think has enormous upside.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/gary-buckenara-analyses-western-bulldogs-list-after-2016-season/news-story/c6ac57147bead5964ce9a17e52617b1c

Murphy'sLore
02-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Could someone remind me how to get past the paywall?

Rocket Science
02-11-2016, 02:04 PM
Could someone remind me how to get past the paywall?

Googling the article headline usually does the trick, e voilÃ* ...

Gary Buckenara analyses Western Bulldogs’ list after 2016 season

WHAT a year it was for the Bulldogs. They were the absolute feel-good story for the finals series and to finish with the premiership was fitting reward for the resilience the club, players and coaches have shown in the last two years.

It’s been a fantastic build by the Bulldogs in terms of bringing in Luke Beveridge as coach combined with smart recruiting across the board both from other clubs and through the draft.

Matt Suckling joined via free agency and can play at halfback, on the wing and even across half forward, Stewart Crameri provides plenty in terms of structure, flexibility and goalkicking power in the forward line, Tom Boyd was brought in for a specific reason as a key forward and Marcus Adams as a mature age key defender.

A lot of clubs need tall utility types who can play in multiple positions but the Western Bulldogs are actually well stocked in this area with guys like Jake Stringer, Marcus Bontempelli, Easton Wood, Lin Jong, Zaine Cordy and Fletcher Roberts.

Bontempelli is just a superstar wherever he plays on the field, what he’s been able to achieve in such a short period of time is quite remarkable and Stringer, although his season wasn’t as good as 2015, is still such a dangerous player and will get better next year as he continues to learn how much hard work it takes to make it and then be a consistent performer week in, week out.

Cordy came out of nowhere in the second half of the season and showed he is capable at the level. He was able to illustrate just how versatile he is when he stepped up in the preliminary final win over GWS when Jordan Roughead was injured and was a back-up in the ruck to Boyd. He can also be used down back.

Fletcher Roberts came in and played an important role as a tall utility defender who can play on a tall but is flexible enough to play on a variety of shapes and sizes, Dale Morris has always been capable of playing both tall and small and Kieran Collins is a draftee I rate really highly and liked during his draft year last year.

The Bulldogs have the makings of a good and versatile defence and then when you add in the experience and ball use of the likes of Suckling, Bob Murphy and Matthew Boyd and the run and dash of Jason Johannisen and that back six is really strong.

Johannisen has always been highly regarded but I’m not sure many believed he’d get to the level he showed this year. He’s such a damaging rebound defender who provides so much spark.

There is plenty of leg speed and it’s obvious the Bulldogs are a club who have targeted players with good kicking skills, which has been so crucial to their success. Plus they’re well-drilled in tight and make good and quick decisions by hand, which is a credit to the development and coaching staff and the club.

The midfield is strong with Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis, Luke Dahlahus running through there, Lachie Hunter who took another step this year, Jack Macrae and now Josh Dunkley as well who had a very impressive debut season.

I really like what Beveridge has done with Liam Picken. Going from a tagger to a ball winner to now such a damaging goalkicker and match-winner has been an important piece of the puzzle and it’s a credit to both player and coach. Results like what we’ve seen from Picken don’t come without buying into the role, accepting it and then working as hard as you can to do it the best you can.

Caleb Daniel has surprised me a little bit. He was a ball magnet as a junior but sometimes players break the moulds of the types of players who think will be successful at the elite level and he is one of those. There’s always been this thought that if a player is under 170-175cm then they’re too small but it’s great to see someone like Caleb make people stand up and take notice.

The fact he has good leg speed and is very smart will ball in hand means he has the jump on guys of a similar size who haven’t been able to break through. He’s a bit of a playmaker, whenever he’s got the ball something generally good happens for the Bulldogs. That’s what I really like about him.

Clay Smith was another feel-good story and I was pleased to see him perform so strongly throughout the finals series and be a match-winner in the preliminary final. He’s a tough and hard player who knows where the goals are and adds another dimension to the forward line.

I also like young Bailey Dale as a player and Lukas Webb only played five games this year but he’s another one who definitely has AFL traits but has a bit of work to do still on his body.

It’s disappointing Nathan Hrovat and Koby Stevens wanted to be traded because they were good depth players and if it was me, given it’s such a good environment to be in, I wouldn’t have left. If I was a young player at the Bulldogs I’d have backed myself in to get better and work my way into the team and when I got it, do everything I could to grab my opportunity.

You need to back yourself a bit in that way when you do find yourself in a good system and at a good club that gets the best out of its players. Clearly the Western Bulldogs is that kind of club.

Overall the list build has been terrific over the last 5-6 years and the Bulldogs are now at a stage where they can add quality to fill needs.

And that’s where Travis Cloke comes in.

The Bulldogs have been able to trade Cloke in cheaply, for pick No.76, and he does fill a need because the Dogs only averaged 11.6 marks inside 50 per game this year and 10.9 the year before. They have lacked that big power forward presence they can aim at when kicking long inside 50 — he can create a contest and even if he doesn’t mark it, at least bring it to ground to bring guys like Smith, Dahlhaus, Tory Dickson and even Stringer into the game. They’ll be even more dangerous.

The addition of Cloke will add depth, cover for the loss of the injured Jack Redpath and with the addition of Crameri as well, it will take the pressure off Stringer because he’ll be able to play more up the ground and use his pace and x-factor like we saw in 2015.

Having said that, I don’t think Cloke will be a walk-up start in this Western Bulldogs team. He’ll have to earn it and when he does, he’ll need to keep performing to earn the right to keep that spot.

WHAT THEY NEED

The list is balanced up forward, in the midfield and down back but again, like most clubs, the ruck is an area requiring needs work. Jordan Roughead and Tom Boyd did well in the finals series but is that sustainable? They can only do so much. Tom Campbell languished in the VFL this year and Will Minson has moved on so the Bulldogs could use both an experienced ruckman as back-up plus a developing one from the draft.

With the loss of Joel Hamling to Fremantle there might be a need for another experienced key defender despite the fact Adams and Collins are coming through as developing players who can fill a key position. The fact Adams requested a trade back to Western Australia for personal reasons and even though it didn’t eventuate, that could still rear its head next year so the club will need to plan for it. Cordy might go into defence with the addition of Cloke up forward but if there is an experienced defender available they should look at it.

Another quick little small forward who loves to chase and tackle and has good goal sense would be handy as well — an Eddie-Betts type. And also another Matt Suckling type who has a long and penetrating and accurate kick who can play across halfback and up on the wing when the likes of Murphy and Boyd retire.

WHO’S UNDER THE PUMP

Bailey Williams is another one of those tall utility types but is well down the pecking order, while Declan Hamilton was drafted last year from the VFL as a 19-year-old who can play across halfback but hasn’t had a look in as yet. He’ll be 21 when the season starts so the Bulldogs will want to see something from him to see if he could possibly be a replacement for Murphy or Boyd.

Josh Prudden has been delisted but the club is committed to re-drafting his as a rookie and he’ll need to show something next year or else he’ll find himself out of the game for real. He’s a midfielder who has been at a club quite a while but has managed just the four career games.

WHO SHOULD GO

Will Minson has moved on in a mutual decision by both player and club, Jed Adcock has retired and Luke Goetz was delisted mid-year, while Prudden has also been axed. I do have question marks on Hamilton and in my opinion Williams would be one to let go and possibly Brad Lynch off the rookie list to give that a bit of a refresh given Adcock has also come off there.

CRYSTAL BALL

The Bulldogs have broken through for their second ever premiership and I think the signs are even better for the future if the club continues the form it’s shown not only on the field but off it as well in list management and recruiting. They will be a top eight side and a top four side for a few years to come and are right in the window of winning premierships. There are more exciting times ahead for this football club.

Mantis
02-11-2016, 02:20 PM
Not a bad article by Buckenara but really surprised that he would look at moving Bailey Williams on. Bailey is one player I think has enormous upside.

Gary is a person whose opinion I have very little regard for.. Putting Bailey Williams in the under the pump category justifies my opinion.. Just *!*!*!*!ing laughable.

Axe Man
02-11-2016, 02:28 PM
Declan Hamilton was drafted last year from the VFL as a 19-year-old

Except he was drafted in 2014 from the SANFL as a 18 year old. But well done on spelling his name correctly Gary!

Rocket Science
02-11-2016, 02:50 PM
Gary is a person whose opinion I have very little regard for.. Putting Bailey Williams in the under the pump category justifies my opinion.. Just *!*!*!*!ing laughable.

That's the most noteworthy if boof-headed morsel from an otherwise pretty vanilla rehashing of the bleeding obvious.

1eyedog
02-11-2016, 04:33 PM

He contradicts himself inside two paragraphs. We should be looking at a tallish, running half back to replace Murphy, but we should move Williams on? What a stupid mix of words.

Twodogs
02-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Bailey Williams massive contract must be stopping us from getting a tallish, running half back.

comrade
02-11-2016, 05:30 PM
We will be delisting Williams over my dead body.

S Coast Simon
02-11-2016, 09:40 PM
We will be delisting Williams over my dead body.
Mine too. I love this kid. Very talented I can't wait to see him fill out and taking the game on. You don't get 52 touches in any level if you don't know what your doing

comrade
02-11-2016, 11:48 PM
Mine too. I love this kid. Very talented I can't wait to see him fill out and taking the game on. You don't get 52 touches in any level if you don't know what your doing

He's just about our most talented under 21 prospect, putting aside the Bont.

Smoky late draft pick who played multiple games in a premiership winning team in his first season is a very nice trajectory.

bornadog
03-11-2016, 10:01 AM
He's just about our most talented under 21 prospect, putting aside the Bont.

Smoky late draft pick who played multiple games in a premiership winning team in his first season is a very nice trajectory.

Buckenara is a goose, doesn't do his homework and just throws up any old player to fill the article. Last year he said Biggs should go.

Topdog
03-11-2016, 11:01 AM
So he mixed up Williams with Hamilton?

westdog54
03-11-2016, 03:56 PM

I don't think he has. He's mentioned Hamilton as being in the gun as well.

Bulldog Joe
03-11-2016, 04:02 PM

I think he has mixed up his Bailey's.

That is understandable as too many Bailey's can cause confusion.

If either is under the pump it will be Bailey Dale.

westdog54
03-11-2016, 04:23 PM
I think he has mixed up his Bailey's.

That is understandable as too many Bailey's can cause confusion.

If either is under the pump it will be Bailey Dale.

I don't think its that either as he speaks fairly highly of Dale.

LostDoggy
03-11-2016, 05:04 PM
I'm not really sure where to post this, but this thread will do.

I'm expecting Stringer to return to his 2015 form next year. I'm excited about the prospect and so should every other Bulldogs supporter.

Twodogs
03-11-2016, 07:37 PM
I don't think its that either as he speaks fairly highly of Dale.

I think that's S coast siman's point.

Bulldog4life
07-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Last team to start pre-season training....and why shouldn't we be with 2 premierships....Thursday November 24

comrade
07-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Last team to start pre-season training....and why shouldn't we be with 2 premierships....Thursday November 24

Pendles was there for Collingwood's first day today

I wonder if Bob will start with the kids, given he's had pretty much a year out?

bulldogtragic
19-02-2017, 04:16 PM
After JLT 1: Assuming our rested guns are fit:

B: Morris Adams M. Boyd
HB: Murphy Cordy/Roberts Wood
C: JJ Bonts Macrae
Int From: Hunter, Biggs, Daniel, Picken, Suckling, Dunkley, Smith
Emergencies: Campbell, Jong, Cordy/Roberts

Injured: Wallis, Redders, Prudden
Kids remaining: Webb, Dale, Honey, Hamilton, Collins, Williams, Lynch, Roarke, Lepinski, Greene, Young, M-M, English, Tweedie

GVGjr
19-02-2017, 06:45 PM
I guess actual starting positions and interchange players don't need to make sense but Picken and Hunter on the bench doesn't seem right. What does strike me is the is a number of similar sized players albeit with some differing skill sets and attributes.

I still think we missed the opportunity during the trade period to get someone to replace Hamling or to provide a bit more depth in the ruck.

bulldogtragic
19-02-2017, 07:10 PM
I guess actual starting positions and interchange players don't need to make sense but Picken and Hunter on the bench doesn't seem right. What does strike me is the is a number of similar sized players albeit with some differing skill sets and attributes.

I still think we missed the opportunity during the trade period to get someone to replace Hamling or to provide a bit more depth in the ruck.

Right on both points. Essentially I've selected a squad of 25 akin to a Thursday night selection for a Sunday game. The next two games should hopefully make it a little more clearer, but we have a fair amount of depth if the kids start playing well.

If Roughy was to miss with that knees knock, then Campbell and English are it for rucks which is very light on. Boyd shouldn't be playing majority ruck. We are very light on for key defenders too. We have to hope that Roberts has elevated his game, that Adams first 10 games can be replicated and that Cordy & Collins develop again. But there's nothing we can do about that it now.

1eyedog
19-02-2017, 07:36 PM

Perhaps although Cordy goes back to fill the hole left by Hamling which is timely given Cloke and Crammers will be pushing hard for a place. Fletcher in the wings gives me some confidence in our back stocks as does Woods and Morris' ability to play taller. We went so small at times last year that I feel we rely on our defensive gameplan rather than stock our back half with talls. Our ruck stocks are paper thin.

Before I Die
19-02-2017, 08:38 PM

I don't see the tall back shortage this year as we have Roberts, Adams and Cordy, Collins, Morris and Wood. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Morris and Wood are our first choice key backs most weeks this year in order to fit all our running defenders in. In a pinch Cloke could also go back. If the scenario was dire we also have Bontempelli and Stringer who are both 192/193cm who could fill in for an in-game injury. There may be a shortage of potential 2017 All Australian CHBs, though Adams could surprise, but I can't see an overall shortage of tall backs or potential stop gaps, which was good enough for the flag last year. If Morris retires and Adams leaves, then that puts a different complexion on things in 2018. But who knows how well Cordy and Collins may come on.

I am not sure there is a problem with the rucks either. How many is enough, how many is too many. We are only playing one pure ruckman (probably not even one at the moment), and we have two back-ups. One who is ready to go and one who isn't, but may be by mid season. If Roughy and Campbell fall over and English isn't ready, then T Boyd rucks, supported by Cloke or Cordy, or Redpath when he comes back. Not ideal, but Boyd has shown he could do it and we now have the tall forwards to cover for him.

We have a further two tall kids on the list though they are clearly not yet strong enough. The alternative would have been to sacrifice a rookie with potential for a journeyman, most likely one dimensional, ruckman on the rookie list 'just in case'. The club could have re-signed Wilbur for another year 'just in case'. I think they made the right decision.

GVGjr
19-02-2017, 09:21 PM
I don't see the tall back shortage this year as we have Roberts, Adams and Cordy, Collins, Morris and Wood. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Morris and Wood are our first choice key backs most weeks this year in order to fit all our running defenders in. In a pinch Cloke could also go back. If the scenario was dire we also have Bontempelli and Stringer who are both 192/193cm who could fill in for an in-game injury. There may be a shortage of potential 2017 All Australian CHBs, though Adams could surprise, but I can't see an overall shortage of tall backs or potential stop gaps, which was good enough for the flag last year. If Morris retires and Adams leaves, then that puts a different complexion on things in 2018. But who knows how well Cordy and Collins may come on.

With testing levels of injuries we did well with the personnel we had. Hamling played some very good games for us late in the year so losing him and not really replacing him does weaken us in my opinion. Sure Cordy returns to the back line but I don't think we have the depth needed.

I am not sure there is a problem with the rucks either. How many is enough, how many is too many. We are only playing one pure ruckman (probably not even one at the moment), and we have two back-ups. One who is ready to go and one who isn't, but may be by mid season. If Roughy and Campbell fall over and English isn't ready, then T Boyd rucks, supported by Cloke or Cordy, or Redpath when he comes back. Not ideal, but Boyd has shown he could do it and we now have the tall forwards to cover for him.

We are a ruckman short or at least a versatile ruckman forward short. I think it's fair to say English won't be ready for a couple of seasons and too much is left to Roughead, Campbell and Boyd. We should have squeezed one in as a priority.
Redpath might be able to handle a few short bursts as a back-up but we would struggle to get him into the side after his extended absence with Cloke and Boyd already there.

With Roughead out for at least 8 weeks a lot falls onto Campbell and Boyd to hold down the ruck duties in the early part of the season.

bornadog
20-02-2017, 12:21 AM
After JLT 1: Assuming our rested guns are fit:

B: Morris Adams M. Boyd
HB: Murphy Cordy/Roberts Wood
Int From: Hunter, Biggs, Daniel, Picken, Suckling, Dunkley, Smith
Emergencies: Campbell, Jong, Cordy/Roberts

Injured: Wallis, Redders, Prudden
Kids remaining: Webb, Dale, Honey, Hamilton, Collins, Williams, Lynch, Roarke, Lepinski, Greene, Young, M-M, English, Tweedie

I think Roberts is now way ahead of Adams. I was not impressed with Adams yesterday, and he needs to earn his spot back.

whythelongface
20-02-2017, 08:16 AM
I think Roberts is now way ahead of Adams. I was not impressed with Adams yesterday, and he needs to earn his spot back.

Once Adams gets a few games under his belt he should be ok. He looked a bit rusty but confident he will bounce back to where he was prior to his injury.

bornadog
20-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Once Adams gets a few games under his belt he should be ok. He looked a bit rusty but confident he will bounce back to where he was prior to his injury.

Unlike others, I am not overly confident Adams can hold a key position. Whilst he played some good games last year, his biggest issue is his height and lack of ability to leap to make up the height difference. He struggled against Tommy Hawkins, and will struggle against other monster forwards like, Patton, Buddy and GC player Lynch.

Mind you Roberts needs to improve on the one on one contests as well.

Ozza
20-02-2017, 10:07 AM

Agree completely.
Thought Roberts backed himself and looked confident in the air....whereas Adams looked unsure, nervous and losing his feet.

1eyedog
20-02-2017, 10:10 AM
Unlike others, I am not overly confident Adams can hold a key position. Whilst he played some good games last year, his biggest issue is his height and lack of ability to leap to make up the height difference. He struggled against Tommy Hawkins, and will struggle against other monster forwards like, Patton, Buddy and GC player Lynch.

Mind you Roberts needs to improve on the one on one contests as well.

I agree but in saying that he makes up for it with his ability to read the ball through the air and his attacking nature. We managed to beat GWS and Sydney without him. He also has good weight and strength so can play on those big forwards. He will struggle with the high ball against guys who are 200cm though.

His ability to mark the ball deep in D50 is a massive, massive attribute. You need ability but you need to have confidence in yourself to do it consistently.

Bulldog4life
20-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Going by Saturday's match Robert is picked before Adams for mine.

LostDoggy
20-02-2017, 05:35 PM
With Roberts having the benefit of more playing time continuity last year which in turn builds confidence in a players ability and game plan knowledge.Adams having spent most of the 2nd half of last year injured-nil game time,low in confidence and not being able to simulate match time game plans and structures, his rusty performance on Saturday should and hopefully improve in the coming weeks before Round 1.

FrediKanoute
21-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Going by Saturday's match Robert is picked before Adams for mine.

Last year Adams out in a couple of shockers in practice games and then was leading our vote count by round 5. He is fine. Good intercept Mark, exactly the kind of tall defender we want. Moz will make him a better defender

Bulldog4life
21-02-2017, 10:45 AM
My team....at this stage barring injuries and any last minute form explosions.

B: Morris Roberts M. Boyd
HB: Murphy Wood JJ
C: Hunter Bonts Macrae
R: Campbell Libba Dahl
Int Biggs, Daniel, Picken, Smith

1eyedog
21-02-2017, 10:54 AM

That is an insanely good team on paper. Wherever it lands there's quality.

Cordy in for Smith and of course Adams / Roberts would be the only changes I'd consider but I'd back that team in against anyone.

Mantis
21-02-2017, 11:05 AM

Looks pretty good, but as per the finals last year we perform better structurally when we have 2 talls in defence so I think we need to find room for either Adams or Cordy.

Who to leave out is a problem.. but a nice one to have.

Mofra
21-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Looks pretty good, but as per the finals last year we perform better structurally when we have 2 talls in defence so I think we need to find room for either Adams or Cordy.

If I had to make the hard call, McLean. Smith is probably a candidate - a guy who in his second last game kicked 4 goals in a half in a prelim!

Can't remember when selecting a team was so hard, although some of the Rhode teams were difficult to select for the complete opposite reason.

Ozza
21-02-2017, 11:57 AM

Woody is no guarantee for Round 1. My prediction is that Zaine or Adams play in his place.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2017, 12:02 PM
We know Bevo rates Suckling. If it was a call between Biggs & Suckling for a flankers spot, where would Bevo and the MC fall I wonder?

Mofra
21-02-2017, 01:48 PM
We know Bevo rates Suckling. If it was a call between Biggs & Suckling for a flankers spot, where would Bevo and the MC fall I wonder?
Biggs has never been dropped which says a fair bit.

bornadog
21-02-2017, 01:58 PM

He is underrated by supporters but not the coaching staff.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2017, 02:21 PM

He is underrated by supporters but not the coaching staff.

I'm not sure anyone who credits a part of our premiership to his repeat effort in the final quarter of the GF under rates him. It's a question of the fact that Bevo personally got Suckers to the club, and he and the MC selected him a couple of times when he wasn't 100% last year. That to me shows an intent to get him into the side, and with his long kicking now to many tall targets up forward, I get the feeling that Suckers will be in the 22. His long kick outs from full back might be handy too, if his Achilles is right. That seems to leave us with a glut of excellent half backs, so does one of them make way? (Biggs, Bob, Boyd, JJ, Wood are the 5 above) Alternatively, Suckers could play further up the ground, but then the question is who goes out further up? McLean? Daniel?

It's a near impossible task if the squad is fit. But I get the sense or feeling that Suckling when fit will play. But for who and where on the ground??

As mentioned earlier, this could be the toughest period of selection that I can recall too.

Twodogs
21-02-2017, 04:05 PM

Agree with that. I just can't pick a team. I can't decide who to leave out to bring in an extra tall defender and which tall defender to bring in. It's a good thing Hamling left to go to Freo. We'd have to play with 24 players, it's only fair.

Adams would have to improve a bit. His disposal has always been a bit shaky but was really bad on Saturday.

bornadog
21-02-2017, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure anyone who credits a part of our premiership to his repeat effort in the final quarter of the GF under rates him.

Look through this thread and see how many people had him in the starting 18 on the ground.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Look through this thread and see how many people had him in the starting 18 on the ground.

I'm not sure that's about him, per se. JJ in a Norm Smith winner (and bet of yours last year :D ), Matty Boyd, Bob & Wood are All Australians. That's four decorated half backers. Being 5th to them isn't a slap, especially if you're a premiership winning half backer. We just have too many good players back there. Add in Suckers whose a premiership half backer and it gets really tough squeezing them into a 22 let alone 18.

I blame JMac and Dalrymple. They keep getting good players, and so much so other clubs are lining up to get the fringe good players that can't regularly get in.

bornadog
21-02-2017, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure that's about him, per se. JJ in a Norm Smith winner (and bet of yours last year :D ), Matty Boyd, Bob & Wood are All Australians. That's four decorated half backers. Being 5th to them isn't a slap, especially if you're a premiership winning half backer. We just have too many good players back there. Add in Suckers whose a premiership half backer and it gets really tough squeezing them into a 22 let alone 18.

I blame JMac and Dalrymple. They keep getting good players, and so much so other clubs are lining up to get the fringe good players that can't regularly get in.

I don't want to kill Bambi, but, Murphy needs to earn his spot back. :)

bulldogtragic
21-02-2017, 05:11 PM

That's ok, you didn't just kill Bambi.

You kidnapped Bambi, didn't unspeakable and unimaginably terrible things to the captive Bambi, then ripped out Bambi's heart with a rusty spoon and drank Bambi's blood! :D

Killing Bambi would be just starting a thread about how to celebrate his 300th game, 5 games early. That's a prick act worthy to banning that poster indefinitely.

bornadog
21-02-2017, 05:29 PM
That's ok, you didn't just kill Bambi.

You kidnapped Bambi, didn't unspeakable and unimaginably terrible things to the captive Bambi, then ripped out Bambi's heart with a rusty spoon and drank Bambi's blood! :D

Killing Bambi would be just starting a thread about how to celebrate his 300th game, 5 games early. That's a prick act worthy to banning that poster indefinitely.

Murph on the bench, Biggs on the HBF. ;)

1eyedog
21-02-2017, 08:36 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. That's funny.

SlimPickens
21-02-2017, 08:49 PM

Pretty sure no one kills Bambi.....Bambi's mother on the other hand!

boydogs
21-02-2017, 11:48 PM
Biggs does a lot of work running around packs and distributing, but what really sets him apart is his ability to play tall. He made some spoils last year that he had no right to against players much taller than him

He's also much taller than M Boyd, Suckling, Murphy & JJ to begin with, he's even taller than Wood

chef
22-02-2017, 08:43 AM
Biggs is a nailed on starter.

Mofra
22-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Biggs does a lot of work running around packs and distributing, but what really sets him apart is his ability to play tall. He made some spoils last year that he had no right to against players much taller than him

He's also much taller than M Boyd, Suckling, Murphy & JJ to begin with, he's even taller than Wood
Biggs is listed as 187cm which is just taller than Wood, but I'd say Wood plays taller because he's a freak (former state champion high jumper). Wood is arguably the best intercept mark in the competition.

Suckling is the same height as Biggs but isn't the kind of 6+ footer who seems to play tall.

I think if there's anything that sets Biggs apart it's his willingness to do anything for the team as well as his 3rd, 4th, 5th efforts. He's just never out of the contest - a classic case of desire overcoming other shortcomings.

Ozza
22-02-2017, 12:44 PM
I like the way Biggs backs himself, often seems to take a while with the footy cruising along with his upright running style, and looks like getting tackled - but rarely does.

Plays with a good level of confidence and assuredness - particularly for someone who has really only played 2 years of senior footy after a stop-start beginning to his career.

SlimPickens
22-02-2017, 02:19 PM
I like the way Biggs backs himself, often seems to take a while with the footy cruising along with his upright running style, and looks like getting tackled - but rarely does.

Plays with a good level of confidence and assuredness - particularly for someone who has really only played 2 years of senior footy after a stop-start beginning to his career.

Played every game last year, speaks volumes!

Mantis
22-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Played every game last year, speaks volumes!

I know we will never know, but do you think this would've been the case if we hadn't lost the likes of Murf, JJ, Suckling, Wood & M.Boyd for so many games last year?

I'm a Biggs fan and I like what he brings to the team (as mentioned), but if we ever have our full array of defenders out our disposal he is very much a borderline selection, which speaks volumes about the depth we have.

Bulldog Joe
22-02-2017, 04:49 PM
I know we will never know, but do you think this would've been the case if we hadn't lost the likes of Murf, JJ, Suckling, Wood & M.Boyd for so many games last year?

I'm a Biggs fan and I like what he brings to the team (as mentioned), but if we ever have our full array of defenders out our disposal he is very much a borderline selection, which speaks volumes about the depth we have.

I am interested in where Bailey Williams, Roarke Smith and Brad Lynch also fit. Those 3 all show promise, but is hard to see how we can give them enough opportunities.

Personally I feel that Williams can be an exceptional player and am intrigued as to why he didn't get a run last week.

ratsmac
22-02-2017, 09:44 PM

Yeah but Wood has bigger muscles!

bulldogtragic
02-03-2017, 11:03 PM
I thought I'd start this early for discussion sake: It's hard to do, and I'd imagine even harder to play against.

Int: Hunter Biggs Daniel Picken
23rd (next in): Jong
Emerg: Dunkley Suckling C. Smith

Updated.

comrade
02-03-2017, 11:20 PM
No a snowballs chance in hell Adams is the leading key defender in our round 1 team based on his pre-season output. Last week was bad, this week was comical.

Rocco Jones
02-03-2017, 11:25 PM
C: JJ Bont Macrae
HF: Hunter Crameri Stringer
F: Dickson Cloke Picken
R: T.Boyd Libba Dahl
Int: Biggs Daniel Dunkley Jong

I would not play Campbell until he proves he can run out a game. Bevo is massive on rucks offering us value around the ground.

Tom Boyd as our 1st ruck with Cloke and Z.Cordy offering support. Jong can be thrown in too. We have done crazy stuff in ruck.

Mantis
02-03-2017, 11:27 PM
C: JJ Bont Macrae
F: Dickson Cloke Picken
R: T.Boyd Libba Dahl
Int: Hunter Biggs Daniel Dunkley

I would not play Campbell until he proves he can run out a game. Bevo is massive on rucks offering us value around the ground.

Tom Boyd as our 1st ruck with Cloke and Z.Cordy offering support.

I refuse to support a team with Jason Cloke at CHF... ;)

And Bevo has just stated they don't think TC plays rd 1.

Sedat
02-03-2017, 11:35 PM

Tom Boyd as our 1st ruck with Cloke and Z.Cordy offering support. Jong can be thrown in too. We have done crazy stuff in ruck.
Campbell can clunk a couple and is not the worst resting forward ruckman in the world. If he is 100% fit he should be there for Round 1 - we were mauled in the ruck tonight, and against Brodie Grundy and Collingwood's strong and deep midfield we will need to nullify this advantage.

bulldogtragic
02-03-2017, 11:35 PM
I refuse to support a team with Jason Cloke at CHF... ;)

And Bevo has just stated they don't think TC plays rd 1.

I'm pretty sure it's Cameron Cloke, for a chop out in the ruck too.

Rocco Jones
02-03-2017, 11:44 PM
Haha on the Clokes.

I agree a fit Campbell is a lock but no chance we will play him unless he shows he can run out a game.

Rocco Jones
02-03-2017, 11:47 PM
I really do hope Campbell is fit as no 3rd man up hurts our alternative approach.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-03-2017, 01:06 AM
.. Is Minson available?

The ruck situation could get ugly.

GVGjr
03-03-2017, 01:20 AM
.. Is Minson available?

The ruck situation could get ugly.

I can't believe we didn't do something during the trade and draft periods to add some ruck depth. Sure we drafted a ruckman in Tim English but he was always going to be a long term investment.

Given Bevo's risk management background it's more than disappointing we gambled on having just two guys with a history of questionable durability and an emerging ruckman/forward to cover such a specialist position.

Maybe the 3rd man rule being changed after both the trade and draft periods caught us out but it was a highly risky list management decision and something both Bevo and Macca should be accountable for if it costs us games this season.

Twodogs
03-03-2017, 03:43 AM
I can't believe we didn't do something during the trade and draft periods to add some ruck depth. Sure we drafted a ruckman in Tim English but he was always going to be a long term investment.

Given Bevo's risk management background it's more than disappointing we gambled on having just two guys with a history of questionable durability and an emerging ruckman/forward to cover such a specialist position.

Maybe the 3rd man rule being changed after both the trade and draft periods caught us out but it was a highly risky list management decision and something both Bevo and Macca should be accountable for if it costs us games this season.

It looks like it may impact on R1.

jazzadogs
03-03-2017, 06:22 AM

You've nailed it in your last paragraph for mine.

Our game plan would have been have someone who can compete/nullify the opposition tap (which could conceivably be Boyd, Cloke, Cordy, Redpath) and then have others jump over the top for the hit out.

The AFL changing rules on the run understandably caught us out, but I don't think we are necessarily to blame for anything...we had two ready ruckmen, one developing ruckman and one developing ruck forward. That suited our game plan pre rule change.

1eyedog
03-03-2017, 10:33 AM

The issue is Bevo is after a particular type of player who can play ruck and they aren't readily available. He'd rather play a makeshift mobile than a lumbering type. We went after Lobbe, we went after Martin and we drafted English you've mentioned a number of times a need for a ruck but I'm not sure who you think we should have traded in? Witts? The only other established rucks that moved clubs this year were forward / rucks Vickery and Vardy, and we were linked to one of them. Vardy is the type of player Bevo likes but he is a risky prospect.

Like Minson Witts doesn't suit our style of player and would actually have been more detrimental to the side because we require a ruck to be involved in the state of play rather than a pure ruckman who aims to win ruck contests. Reality is we have tried to trade rucks in and we did draft one. It's pretty clear Bevo would prefer to play English than a Minson / Witts type or a ruck forward like Vickery so he'd almost prefer no ruck than the wrong one because we lose out in other areas of the ground, and our game plan would suffer.

English will get beaten in ruck contests but that's ok, so did Cordy when he played there for six weeks before we de-listed him but we kept on winning. Thing is English already looks more valuable around the ground than Minson or Cordy ever did. And don't get me wrong Minson was a great tap ruckman but his skills around the ground and lack of influence in general play were huge deficiencies.

Do you think we should have coughed up to dislodge Goldstein?

bornadog
03-03-2017, 11:19 AM
I don't believe Bevo values the role of ruckman like we all do.. He is more concerned about getting the ball after it hits the ground and that is why we play so many mids around the pack who have specific roles.

We are unlucky to have two ruckman out by round one, but personally, I am not that worried about it.

SlimPickens
03-03-2017, 11:39 AM
I don't believe Bevo values the role of ruckman like we all do.. He is more concerned about getting the ball after it hits the ground and that is why we play so many mids around the pack who have specific roles.

We are unlucky to have two ruckman out by round one, but personally, I am not that worried about it.

Agree if TC isn't fit, we ruck Boyd with Cordy or Cloke giving a chop out. Grundy is a good player but is also under an injury cloud, so if the pies go with Mason Cox i'd be very happy for Boyd to take him on. English looked very good around the ground last night, so he may be an option also.

Mantis
03-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Still a bit to play out with regards to our make-up for rd 1, with many still unsighted this pre-season. I still have a few queries, but at present it looks like:

B: Morris, Roberts, Murphy
HB: Wood, Cordy, JJ
C: Macrae, Bont, Hunter
HF: Picken, Cloke, McLean
F: Dickson, Stringer, C.Smith
R: Boyd, Libba, Dahl

Inter from: M.Boyd, Biggs, Daniel, Dunkley, Crameri, Jong

Others still potentially in the mix: English, Suckling, Adams (would need to produce a much improved performance next week)

bornadog
03-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Big worry is the whereabouts of Dickson? He hasn't played a preseason game and not listed on the injury list?

Bulldog4life
03-03-2017, 02:05 PM
Big worry is the whereabouts of Dickson? He hasn't played a preseason game and not listed on the injury list?

Yes he and Bonti are both a concern for round one.

bornadog
03-03-2017, 02:22 PM
Yes he and Bonti are both a concern for round one.
Bonti should be playing next week

1eyedog
03-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Bonti should be playing next week

Bont doesn't even need a warm up game - even rusty he is still our best player. Wrap him in cotton wool until there's 4 points on the line it will be a long season.

Sedat
03-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Reckon English comes into the frame with BTC unlikely to make it to the line. Expecting Boyd to shoulder the ruck load on his own with minimal assistance is a massive ask.

Bulldog4life
03-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Reckon English comes into the frame with BTC unlikely to make it to the line. Expecting Boyd to shoulder the ruck load on his own with minimal assistance is a massive ask.

I agree Sedat. According to Bevo English is well in the mix.

GVGjr
03-03-2017, 08:38 PM

I think that is a fallacy, as 1Eyedog pointed out he wants ones with a specific skills set. Why would we chase Martin and Lobbe if he didn't value ruckman?

GVGjr
03-03-2017, 09:51 PM
The issue is Bevo is after a particular type of player who can play ruck and they aren't readily available. He'd rather play a makeshift mobile than a lumbering type. We went after Lobbe, we went after Martin and we drafted English you've mentioned a number of times a need for a ruck but I'm not sure who you think we should have traded in? Witts? The only other established rucks that moved clubs this year were forward / rucks Vickery and Vardy, and we were linked to one of them. Vardy is the type of player Bevo likes but he is a risky prospect.

The point I'm making is that when Bevo arrived at the club he had 4 ruckman in Minson, Roughead (returning from his backline duties) Campbell and Cordy plus we had just recruited a high profile key forward who could pinch hit in the ruck if needed. We also had a big lumbering key forward in Redpath who could help out a bit as required.

In Bevo's first season Cordy was given an extended go in the seniors and he didn't measure up so he was gone at the seasons end.
In Bevo's 2nd season Minson was basically put into mothballs and gone at the end of the season. Roughead had a good year but is clearly far from durable, Campbell has also struggled to stay injury free. Boyd misses a sizable slice of the season before being one of our best players and Redpath cops a knee injury and will miss a lot of the 2017 season.
So prior to the trading and draft period we clearly have just 2 ruckman with an established history of interruptions due to injuries plus Boyd and maybe a back-up option in Redpath later in the year.

During the trade period we already know we have Wallis with a god awful injury and an unknown return date, Redpath who will probably aim for a mid season return from a knee and Prudden who has struggled to play consistent games to consider.
We end up making minimal changes to the list ignoring addressing our depth at the ruck position.

Why wouldn't we look at adding an experienced type or even a state league guy that would provide us with a bit of depth? We could have also looked at guys that could pinch hit in the role just to provide some additional depth.
Good on us for selecting Tim English but he clearly isn't physically ready to handle the demands of an extended run at this demanding role.

We are taking a chance but I don't understand why.

You mentioned Vardy was a risky prospect and maybe that factored into the decision not to really chase after him but equally we made a risky decision to not acquire someone who could provide some support.

We have used a good pick on Tim English but I'd hate to see him injured because we were forced to play him in a role he isn't quite ready to handle an extended run at.

1eyedog
03-03-2017, 10:46 PM
The point I'm making is that when Bevo arrived at the club he had 4 ruckman in Minson, Roughead (returning from his backline duties) Campbell and Cordy plus we had just recruited a high profile key forward who could pinch hit in the ruck if needed. We also had a big lumbering key forward in Redpath who could help out a bit as required.

In Bevo's first season Cordy was given an extended go in the seniors and he didn't measure up so he was gone at the seasons end.
In Bevo's 2nd season Minson was basically put into mothballs and gone at the end of the season. Roughead had a good year but is clearly far from durable, Campbell has also struggled to stay injury free. Boyd misses a sizable slice of the season before being one of our best players and Redpath cops a knee injury and will miss a lot of the 2017 season.
So prior to the trading and draft period we clearly have just 2 ruckman with an established history of interruptions due to injuries plus Boyd and maybe a back-up option in Redpath later in the year.

During the trade period we already know we have Wallis with a god awful injury and an unknown return date, Redpath who will probably aim for a mid season return from a knee and Prudden who has struggled to play consistent games to consider.
We end up making minimal changes to the list ignoring addressing our depth at the ruck position.

Why wouldn't we look at adding an experienced type or even a state league guy that would provide us with a bit of depth? We could have also looked at guys that could pinch hit in the role just to provide some additional depth.
Good on us for selecting Tim English but he clearly isn't physically ready to handle the demands of an extended run at this demanding role.

We are taking a chance but I don't understand why.

You mentioned Vardy was a risky prospect and maybe that factored into the decision not to really chase after him but equally we made a risky decision to not acquire someone who could provide some support.

We have used a good pick on Tim English but I'd hate to see him injured because we were forced to play him in a role he isn't quite ready to handle an extended run at.

My guess is as good as anyone's. One thing I'm coming around to is that Bevo is pushing into new frontiers with how he utilizes his resources. I'm not sure if he's turned the roles players play completely on its head, but he's a single-minded beast when he thinks something should be done a particular way, and to me the direction the club has moved with regard to ruckman as you so well point out, tells me we are very particular about getting the right guy in there. This flies in the face of the previous statement, but I honestly wouldn't put it past him to name Jong in the ruck rather than have a 'inappropriate' type that does not / can not adhere to the game plan. It does seem strange that Bevo is highly flexible with most other positions, and teaching multiple roles, but so steadfast with regard to the ruck role.

I'm not overly concerned about our ruck stocks and I guess that makes me a glass half-full kind of guy. Campbell will only miss one by accounts and Roughie will miss approx. six. If English and Boyd can fill the gap here and there we are placed ok. Like you, I don't want English playing long minutes week to week in there and if he has to due to primary ruck injuries, then maybe it will be egg on the face. Remains to be seen and I still think we may go hard at an established mobile ruck at seasons end, but I think how hard we go depends on the durability of Camhead and how English develops through the year.

kruder
04-03-2017, 12:30 AM
I didn't get to all of the game but English did look like he was getting over powered in the actual ruck contest? Obviously its to be expected and his follow up work looked great but I fear grundy will have a field day against him.

Love too hear peoples thoughts who got to see the full match?

1eyedog
04-03-2017, 12:40 AM
I didn't get to all of the game but English did look like he was getting over powered in the actual ruck contest? Obviously its to be expected and his follow up work looked great but I fear grundy will have a field day against him.

Love too hear peoples thoughts who got to see the full match?

Yeah he did and I wish I knew whether we even cared. If English rucks I guess our mids play to their ruckman and create static situations at contests until we can win possession.

Sedat
04-03-2017, 12:50 AM
He was just competing in the ruck but his work around the ground was very promising. If he can chop out Boyd for 5 minutes a quarter and provide what he has already shown he is capable of around the ground at this level, there's no reason not to select him.

kruder
04-03-2017, 12:54 AM
It will be interesting to see if they play Boyd in the final JLT game. Its a bit of a conundrum for the match committee because we cant afford for him to get injured yet if he doesn't play then it will be 3 weeks between runs and considering he will have to bare the brunt of the rucking duties his conditioning will be paramount.

Bulldog4life
04-03-2017, 10:20 AM
He was just competing in the ruck but his work around the ground was very promising. If he can chop out Boyd for 5 minutes a quarter and provide what he has already shown he is capable of around the ground at this level, there's no reason not to select him.

Yes good point like an extra midfielder. And we all know how much Bevo likes his ruckman to be good across the ground.

1eyedog
04-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Yes good point like an extra midfielder. And we all know how much Bevo likes his ruckman to be good across the ground.

Yes that's the point I was making earlier he's a Bevo ruckman because he can contribute significantly to our game plans. He is so good at ground level for a 205cm 18 year old it's out of control and pick 19 was a steal. He'll leave ruckman for dead around the ground in a few years. He's a 6'8 Blicavs. The biggest challenge is ensuring this guy sticks around as he could be anything and my fear is him wanting to return to the farm.

Bulldog4life
04-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Yes that's the point I was making earlier he's a Bevo ruckman because he can contribute significantly to our game plans. He is so good at ground level for a 205cm 18 year old it's out of control and pick 19 was a steal. He'll leave ruckman for dead around the ground in a few years. He's a 6'8 Blicavs. The biggest challenge is ensuring this guy sticks around as he could be anything and my fear is him wanting to return to the farm.

Heard him comment before the draft 1eyedog and he was asked that question should he be drafted anywhere but WA. His response was that in the last 3 years he has been in boarding school and he is quite used to living away from home.

GVGjr
04-03-2017, 10:41 AM
It will be interesting to see if they play Boyd in the final JLT game. Its a bit of a conundrum for the match committee because we cant afford for him to get injured yet if he doesn't play then it will be 3 weeks between runs and considering he will have to bare the brunt of the rucking duties his conditioning will be paramount.

I think we have to especially if he will need to be used primarily as a ruckman from round one of the home and away season

Before I Die
04-03-2017, 09:07 PM
Why isn't Cloke featuring in this discussion? 196cm, physicall intimidating, aerobic beast. I can't see any problem with Boyd, Cloke and English taking on Collingwood.

Go_Dogs
05-03-2017, 11:15 AM
My effort:-

B: Johannisen, Roberts, Wood
HB: Murphy, Morris, Biggs
C: Hunter, Dahlhaus, Macrae
HF: Picken, Crameri, McLean
F: Daniel, Stringer, Dickson
R: Boyd, Bontempelli, Liberatore
I/C: Boyd, Dunkley, English, Jong

Aside from the glaring issue in the ruck, we have some significant selection headaches - too many players who I'd like to fit in but haven't been able to, including Adams, Cloke, Cordy, Smith, Suckling and none of Dale, Webb and Williams who may come into the selection frame later, albeit I don't have them in the mix for round 1 yet.

We're going to have a very strong VFL side again, especially if we have a better run with injuries.

chef
05-03-2017, 12:06 PM
FB Morris Roberts Biggs
HB MBoyd Wood JJ
C Hunter Dahlhaus Macrae
HF Daniel Cloke Picken
FF Dickson Stringer Smith
R TBoyd Bont Libba
IN Bob Cordy English McLean

Cram, Adams, Dunk, Suckling and Jong unlucky but will have to try and win a spot.

I'm sure I'll tweek this after Thursdays dress rehearsal.

1eyedog
05-03-2017, 12:51 PM
One person has Cloke out the other Crammers. I just can't see either of them not playing personally. Also I'm not sure Smith and Dunks are in front of McLean.

1eyedog
05-03-2017, 12:53 PM
FB Morris Roberts M Boyd
HB Murphy Wood JJ
C Hunter Dahlhaus Macrae
HF Daniel Cloke Picken
FF Dickson Stringer Crameri
R T Boyd Bont Libba
IN Biggs, McLean, English / Cordy, Smith

Bulldog4life
05-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Dickson must be in doubt for round one unless he plays this week.

chef
05-03-2017, 03:04 PM
One person has Cloke out the other Crammers. I just can't see either of them not playing personally. Also I'm not sure Smith and Dunks are in front of McLean.

I missed McLean. I'd have him in Dunks spot. I'd prefer to give Cram a few VFL games after not playing for so long.

After the finals series last year I'd have Smith in front of both.

1eyedog
05-03-2017, 05:41 PM
I missed McLean. I'd have him in Dunks spot. I'd prefer to give Cram a few VFL games after not playing for so long.

After the finals series last year I'd have Smith in front of both.

Yeah I think Smith is in front of him - just. My feeling is that Smith's best is excellent footy but McLean's worst is better than Smith's. Clay will rediscover consistency.

Rocco Jones
05-03-2017, 06:22 PM
My updated side. I have Dickson out of the side. With our depth, I think we should get him cherry ripe before coming into the side. If he does well in JLT3, a spot is his.

B: Morris, Roberts, M. Boyd
HB: Murphy, Cordy,Wood
C: JJ, Bont, Macrae
HF: Hunter, Crameri, Stringer
F: C.Smith, Cloke, Picken
R: T.Boyd, Libba, Dahl
I/C: Biggs, Daniel, Dunkley, McLean
Emerg: Jong, Adams, English

kruder
05-03-2017, 10:11 PM

The only way Cloke and Crameri don't play round one is if they are injured. With Boyd having to play significant time in the ruck they enable us to hold our structure and provide marking targets.

kruder
05-03-2017, 10:22 PM
My updated side. I have Dickson out of the side. With our depth, I think we should get him cherry ripe before coming into the side. If he does well in JLT3, a spot is his.

I/C: Biggs, Daniel, Dunkley, McLean
Emerg: Jong, Adams, English

I was thinking the same with Dickson out I reckon Jong,Smith,Duckley and Mclean are playing for 3 spots. I'm a bit of a Jongy fan, love his loyality after all that happened and I still remember in the rooms after the west coast win he had the biggest smile on his face was just absolute rapt for the group. Who's left out? Too hard!

always right
05-03-2017, 11:11 PM
I think it's likely that Collingwood will play Moore, Cox and White up forward. I don't rate White at all so I'm comfortable with us only playing two tall defenders. I realise we play a zone defence but I see Cordy as an ideal matchup for Moore and Roberts to take Cox.
The biggest question mark is whether play English or use Cloke as the back up for Boyd. I'm tending towards the latter.

Dunkley' form hasn't been great so I think his position will be taken by Jong. Dickson to be eased back through the VFL.

I/C: Biggs, Daniel, Jong, McLean
Emerg: Suckling, Adams, English

Twodogs
06-03-2017, 12:50 AM
I was thinking the same with Dickson out I reckon Jong,Smith,Duckley and Mclean are playing for 3 spots. I'm a bit of a Jongy fan, love his loyality after all that happened and I still remember in the rooms after the west coast win he had the biggest smile on his face was just absolute rapt for the group. Who's left out? Too hard!

The silly person in me wants to say "quack, quack" but I am going to resist the urge.

1eyedog
06-03-2017, 09:02 AM
I think it's likely that Collingwood will play Moore, Cox and White up forward. I don't rate White at all so I'm comfortable with us only playing two tall defenders. I realise we play a zone defence but I see Cordy as an ideal matchup for Moore and Roberts to take Cox.
The biggest question mark is whether play English or use Cloke as the back up for Boyd. I'm tending towards the latter.

Dunkley' form hasn't been great so I think his position will be taken by Jong. Dickson to be eased back through the VFL.

Collingwood did that last year and we only played one. We won but Moore did get hold of us a bit.

SlimPickens
06-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Collingwood did that last year and we only played one. We won but Moore did get hold of us a bit.

I watched VFL defensive behemoth Anthony" Bundy" Barry destroy Mason Cox late last year. At 182 cm he beat him with physicality and smarts. Id imagine any of Wood,Biggs or Morris could account for Cox quite easily.

soupman
06-03-2017, 10:08 AM

This is the team I would run with except I think Beveridge will be keen to put Suckling in. Wouldn't be surprised if he was picked ahead of Cordy, and we ran Morris on Moore, with Roberts, Biggs and Wood covering the other talls. It's not ideal but we've shown we are prepared to take that approach before. Otherwise I think Jong is most likely to make way.

soupman
06-03-2017, 10:10 AM
I watched VFL defensive behemoth Anthony" Bundy" Barry destroy Mason Cox late last year. At 182 cm he beat him with physicality and smarts. Id imagine any of Wood,Biggs or Morris could account for Cox quite easily.

Yeah Cox really doesn't worry me. I can't see him kicking more than a couple of goals and he doesn't strike me as someone who has much of an impact around the ground. I'd be happy to cop the 2 goals and play an extra runner. He isn't worth bringing in an extra tall with the sole purpose of shutting him down.

bornadog
06-03-2017, 12:35 PM
This is the team I would run with except I think Beveridge will be keen to put Suckling in. Wouldn't be surprised if he was picked ahead of Cordy, and we ran Morris on Moore, with Roberts, Biggs and Wood covering the other talls. It's not ideal but we've shown we are prepared to take that approach before. Otherwise I think Jong is most likely to make way.

Darcy Moore is almost 10cm taller than Morris. Can't see this happening. Roberts will take Moore.

1eyedog
06-03-2017, 08:39 PM
Darcy Moore is almost 10cm taller than Morris. Can't see this happening. Roberts will take Moore.

Absolutely Roberts or Adams has to play on Moore. Being 10cm taller is not the issue Morris would be up against, he's played on 196cm + guys his whole career. Moore has a prodigious leap and is an absolute superstar in the air.

Roberts on Moore and Morris on White. Just one tall for me with Wood and Biggs to assist.

soupman
07-03-2017, 12:25 AM
We played Biggs on him 2 years ago, and its not as if Morris is a stranger to playing on blokes bigger than him.

Absolutely Roberts or Adams has to play on Moore. Being 10cm taller is not the issue Morris would be up against, he's played on 196cm + guys his whole career. Moore has a prodigious leap and is an absolute superstar in the air.

Roberts on Moore and Morris on White. Just one tall for me with Wood and Biggs to assist.

Since when has Roberts been more mobile than Morris?

Roberts for mine is better suited to playing on less mobile opponents like Patton or on atheltic forwards that ar epicked more for their athleticism than football ability (White and Cox both fit this description perfectly). Roberts relies on outpositioning them and ensuring our zone defence can help beat them. This makes him sound like a terrible performer but what I'm trying to say is that while he isn't particularly quick or athletic he is smart enough and works well enough in a team to stop most deep forwards.

I think we will see all of Morris, Biggs and Wood get an opportunity on Moore before Roberts.

1eyedog
07-03-2017, 09:29 AM
We played Biggs on him 2 years ago, and its not as if Morris is a stranger to playing on blokes bigger than him.

Since when has Roberts been more mobile than Morris?

Roberts for mine is better suited to playing on less mobile opponents like Patton or on atheltic forwards that ar epicked more for their athleticism than football ability (White and Cox both fit this description perfectly). Roberts relies on outpositioning them and ensuring our zone defence can help beat them. This makes him sound like a terrible performer but what I'm trying to say is that while he isn't particularly quick or athletic he is smart enough and works well enough in a team to stop most deep forwards.

I think we will see all of Morris, Biggs and Wood get an opportunity on Moore before Roberts.

I'm not talking about mobility. Moore plays deep they'll isolate him on Morris.

Mantis
07-03-2017, 10:38 AM
I'm not talking about mobility. Moore plays deep they'll isolate him on Morris.

Regardless of who plays on Moore Collingwood should be looking to get him one out with his opponent as we don't really have a suitable match-up... As seen by Moore's record against us.

Bulldog Joe
07-03-2017, 04:52 PM
Regardless of who plays on Moore Collingwood should be looking to get him one out with his opponent as we don't really have a suitable match-up... As seen by Moore's record against us.
Every time I have seen Moore, he seems to excel if he can get a run at the ball to mark.
Morris would be the best at preventing him getting a clear run at the ball. I don't see his height being the issue.

Greystache
07-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Every time I have seen Moore, he seems to excel if he can get a run at the ball to mark.
Morris would be the best at preventing him getting a clear run at the ball. I don't see his height being the issue.

Agree. If he doesn't get a clear run and jump at the footy he's practically out of the game. It's why he so often goes goalless in a game.

Unfortunately for us we've had Talia on him previously who's competely lost when the ball goes in the air, and Roberts can be pretty reactionary too. Which is why 2 of his 3 career best performances have been against us. I'd back Morris' body work and positioning as our best match up.

Greystache
07-03-2017, 09:06 PM

Agree. If he doesn't get a clear run and jump at the footy he's practically out of the game. It's why he so often goes goalless in a game.

Unfortunately for us we've had Talia on him previously who's competely lost when the ball goes in the air, and Roberts can be pretty reactionary too. Which is why 2 of his 3 career best performances have been against us. I'd back Morris' body work and positioning as our best match up.

bulldogtragic
09-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Add into tonight, Morris for Jong.

HF: Crameri Stringer Daniel
F: Smith Cloke McLean
R: T. Boyd Libba Dahl
Int: Hunter Biggs Suckling Picken
Emerg: Dunkley Jong English

bornadog
14-03-2017, 04:37 PM
From AFL.com.au

Collingwood v WESTERN BULLDOGS, MCG, Friday, March 24, 7.45pm AEDT

B: Matthew Boyd, Fletcher Roberts, Dale Morris
C: Caleb Daniel, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
HF: Luke Dahlhaus, Stewart Crameri, Jack Macrae
F: Clay Smith, Travis Cloke, Jake Stringer
Foll: Tom Boyd, Liam Picken, Marcus Bontempelli
I/C: Zaine Cordy, Shane Biggs, Matt Suckling, Toby McLean

New faces: Travis Cloke

Missing with injury/suspension: Tory Dickson (groin, test), Jordan Roughead (hamstring, 4-5 weeks), Mitch Wallis (broken leg, mid-season)

Notes: The Dogs should go into round one with 18 of the 22 who played in last year's flag triumph, with only second-year midfielder Josh Dunkley set to miss selection on form.

Travis Cloke appears certain to play his first game in the red, white and blue against his old side with fellow talls Jordan Roughead and Tom Campbell injured.

Impressive draftee Tim English is an outside chance to partner Tom Boyd in the ruck.

Despite strong JLT form, explosive midfielder Lin Jong looks likely to miss out.

Key defenders Fletcher Roberts and Marcus Adams have both had indifferent JLT campaigns, with the former likely to get the nod to face the Pies. - Ryan Davidson

After 246 games with Collingwood, Travis Cloke will run out for the Dogs in round one: Picture: AFL Photos
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/cloke%20bulldogs%20620.jpg

Bulldog Joe
14-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Jong would be stiff to miss.

On JLT3, I would have him ahead of Clay Smith.

Bulldog4life
14-03-2017, 04:54 PM
Agree BJ

Ozza
14-03-2017, 05:43 PM
Agree BJ.

Love Clay Smith - but Jongy's form should be rewarded. And Suckling was as good as anyone in JLT3 - so he plays also.

Extraordinary to think that Dunkley can't get into the side. Selection headache would have been even greater if Dickson was up and going, may have even been Crameri on the block as he has looked quite rusty to me (but in Dicko's absence, am happy to back Crameri's athletic traits to make him a strong contributor despite the rust).

We'll just have to make do with T.Boyd in the ruck pretty much solo.

Will be interesting to see how Matt Boyd comes up after a nasty ear laceration, and also a lack of match practice, having only played (nearly) 1 of 3 games.

chef
14-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Stevo was staying that Campbell and Dickson will be fit and available for selection in round 1.

chef
14-03-2017, 09:54 PM
FB Morris Roberts Biggs
HB MBoyd Wood JJ
C Hunter Dahlhaus Macrae
HF Crameri Cloke Picken
FF Daniel Stringer Smith
R TBoyd Bont Libba
IN Bob Cordy Suckling McLean

I really want to squeeze Jong in but just cant find a spot.

Bulldog Revolution
15-03-2017, 12:04 PM
FB Morris Roberts Biggs
HB MBoyd Wood JJ
C Hunter Dahlhaus Macrae
HF Crameri Cloke Picken
FF Daniel Stringer Smith
R TBoyd Bont Libba

Good looking side - looking forward to round 1

Mantis
15-03-2017, 03:42 PM
FB Morris Roberts Biggs
HB MBoyd Wood JJ
C Hunter Dahlhaus Macrae
HF Crameri Cloke Picken
FF Daniel Stringer Smith
R TBoyd Bont Libba

That looks damn good, but I think Jong plays, has played well against Collingwood and was impressive last week.. Clay or McLean to miss.

How hard would it be if Dickson, Roughy and Wallis were right to go?

bulldogtragic
15-03-2017, 03:49 PM
That looks damn good, but I think Jong plays, has played well against Collingwood and was impressive last week.. Clay or McLean to miss.

Impossible task, virtually.

Clay v Jong
Dicko v Magic
Roughy v Crameri
Wallis v MBoyd

Safe bet on the VFL side winning that week.

bornadog
15-03-2017, 04:06 PM

According to Mark Stevens, Campbell and Dickson will be available for round 1.

1eyedog
15-03-2017, 04:20 PM
According to Mark Stevens, Campbell and Dickson will be available for round 1.

Surely Dickson can't play. Campbell may have to though.

lemmon
15-03-2017, 10:27 PM

Agree that Dickson needs to prove some fitness, he's vital to our forward setup but we can cover his type.

Bulldog Revolution
15-03-2017, 10:37 PM

Cant see either playing - Campbell will need a week or two fitness you'd think

But I agree with others that Jong is in the 22 - what I don't know is who won't play