PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee: Preliminary Final vs Greater Western Sydney

bulldogtragic
16-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Any changes?

5.15pm next Saturday.

GVGjr
16-09-2016, 11:35 PM
Any changes?

Without checking anything maybe Cordy could be (very) unlucky.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2016, 11:37 PM
With Mumford, Lobb, Patton, Cameron etc, do we need a second ruck?

whythelongface
16-09-2016, 11:48 PM
Without checking anything maybe Cordy could be (very) unlucky.

Who comes in? Maybe Campbell.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2016, 11:58 PM
Another 8 day rest for our weary bodies.

Go_Dogs
17-09-2016, 12:40 AM
Out: Cordy
In: Dale

More run and flair against a team that has wheels. Back our defensive unit to get it done on their tall timber.

boydogs
17-09-2016, 01:57 AM
The Giants are a very different team to the Hawks, we may need to bring in some height and pace. Fortunately it's a 7 day break for the VFL side to the AFL game this week so we can have a look at a few

bulldogtragic
17-09-2016, 02:16 AM
This might be my 1am idea, but Minson? He can stay with Mumford and isn't likely to be hurt and monstered, even like Tippett was. Boyd stays forward. Roughy rests back or forward as required. The kicker is that Minson is told that he won't play in the GF if we win, and ala country footy, he's told to hurt as many of them as he possibly can, as frequently as he can and with as much force as he can muster even if it means suspension. It could be a wildcard. His legacy will be terrorising the plastics and sacrificing himself and his suspension record to get us into a Grand Final.

Remi Moses
17-09-2016, 04:53 AM
Out: Cordy
In: Dale

More run and flair against a team that has wheels. Back our defensive unit to get it done on their tall timber.

We need someone to keep Shaw accountable , so I'd keep Zaine in

MrMahatma
17-09-2016, 07:55 AM
I'd be surprised if much changes. Roberts may come in for height down back.

1eyedog
17-09-2016, 08:01 AM
No change!

LostDoggy
17-09-2016, 08:31 AM
With all the tall mobiles in GWS reckon Zaine stays and maybe pushes back more. If somebody smashes the door down with Footscray today, I reckon Biggs is the player under the pump. Has been average at best in both finals, jittery in the contest and has turned a few over.

Mantis
17-09-2016, 08:33 AM
GWS are a different beast to the Hawks.. Why it's all well and good to say no change, which is what I'm thinking now, we need to pick the best team to beat them.

My only concern is the ruck ( Mummy is a big unit) and nullifying their 3 tall forwards ( but besides Cameron the other 2 aren't killing it) .. But I guess we continue with what has worked for us and back the players in.

The midfield battle will be immense.

Rocket Science
17-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Smacking these entitled upstart pricks looking like just another speed hump on this sweet sweet ride of ours.

bornadog
17-09-2016, 09:32 AM
At this stage, no change for me

kruder
17-09-2016, 04:05 PM
I reckon Campbell/Roberts for Cordy is the only chance.

I still think we lacked a tall down the line last night and Camhead were brilliant early in the year at nullifying key ruckman. If you go with this set up Roughead will have to spend a little time in defence.

Although I'm not a big fan of Roberts, he is actually quite good at nullifying a resting ruckman and Lobb is a bloody dangerous commodity.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Since the final siren sounded last night i found myself internally repeating a mantra i cam across on WOOF earlier this week, from the ever eloquent Mantis..." how bout we go up there, smash 'em, then burn their f#$%ing stadium down!!"

bulldogtragic
17-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Campbell is putting in a solid performance so far in the VFL Prelim. (Currently 21 touches, 8 marks (several contested), great holding the ball tackle, 17 hit outs, inside 50's, score assists and shots on goal and a great snap goal).

Ozza
19-09-2016, 05:57 PM
To me, any change to the side would be unlikely unless someone doesn't come up.

Zaine Cordy is clearly playing specific roles at the moment (roles on Gibson and McGovern....and in the second half of the prelim, went back in order to release JJ and get him into the game).

In terms of the GWS tall forward, I suspect we will continue to do what has worked - and stay small and defend as a unit.

The individual match ups aren't really important - given that Hamling takes the 'deepest' regardless and Morris, Wood and Suckling are the other deepest 3. Biggs played a crucial role on Puopolo last week, I would expect he'll spend some time with Toby Greene, who is dangerous.

Macrae and Hunter have a big task against Scully and Whitfield this weekend. That is an impressive quartet of runners right there! Some serious kilometres being covered in those match ups. 4 of the biggest running beasts in the league.

Campbell and Roughead got trounced by Mummy last time...I wouldn't be rushing to change the Boyd/Rough combo - as they are both starting to take some marks around the ground and playing with confidence.

The Pie Man
20-09-2016, 11:55 AM
They'll think about Roberts a bit, though I suspect they'll lean towards no change - Fletch probably won't help with the one on one contests under the high ball against a Patton that much, and could never play on a Cameron. Cordy offers us that flexibility of going back should it be required, so we should continue to back our current talls athleticism to get the job done.

Suspect they'll think about Minson at least a little bit considering Mumford...but then opt for no change. Roughy is flying, but this is a massive test for him.

Picken to kick a few and nullify Shaw in the process? Hope so

KT31
20-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Talking on the train after the game the only change we thought of was possibly Campbell for Zaine.

always right
20-09-2016, 02:01 PM
GWS have very athletic defenders who like to run the ball out. They are the last team I would bring either TC or Will into the team for. No change for me.

Mantis
20-09-2016, 02:37 PM
GWS have very athletic defenders who like to run the ball out. They are the last team I would bring either TC or Will into the team for. No change for me.

You would think if either of those 2 played it would as a more hard nosed ruck option to play on Mummy and neither would spend much time at all up forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-09-2016, 02:55 PM
You would think if either of those 2 played it would as a more hard nosed ruck option to play on Mummy and neither would spend much time at all up forward.

Do you think we need a Roughy/TC combo for:

A.) An ability to spread the load v Mumford and possibly work him over
B.) Flexibility to be able to send Roughy back if we are under siege

Or do we back what we've done in and look for Cordy to play as a defensive forward?

craigsahibee
20-09-2016, 02:59 PM
No Change at this stage.

Team Defense equals pressure on the ball carrier which equals scattered forward 50 entries. Wood is going to be super important against their forward line. We will need to enable Easton to be the extra man in, so the midfielders are going to have to run hard, both ways (which we have been doing). Quick and decisive exits from defensive 50 are necessary for us to win.

comrade
20-09-2016, 03:12 PM
If we play an extra ruck, surely it's Minno? He is capable of doing the heavy lifting all day against Mumford, whereas TC has no hope.

I don't think we'll go that way, but can't see how TC has any chance of coming in.

Mantis
20-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Do you think we need a Roughy/TC combo for:

A.) An ability to spread the load v Mumford and possibly work him over
B.) Flexibility to be able to send Roughy back if we are under siege

Or do we back what we've done in and look for Cordy to play as a defensive forward?

I think we have to back in what's working for us and that's a mobile defensive group & Roughy/Boyd ruck duo.. If our defence gets exposed so be it, but our best chance to win is they work together as a group, like they have been, and get plenty of help from our mids & forwards.

Happy to have Cordy as the swingman, start up forward on Haynes, and roll back as required (hopefully never).

bulldogtragic
20-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Mark Stevens tweeted he expects no changes &:

From R9 Out: Collins Adcock Roberts Stevens Campbell Wallis Jong Williams ... In: M Boyd Dunkley T Boyd Hamling Smith Suckling JJ Cordy ...

Rocket Science
20-09-2016, 03:51 PM

From R9 Out: Collins Adcock Roberts Stevens Campbell Wallis Jong Williams ... In: M Boyd Dunkley T Boyd Hamling Smith Suckling JJ Cordy ...

Wow, we'll be giving them a decidedly different look, almost half a team, and significantly stronger for it.

The only one from that group I'd pine for in the current squad is Wallis

Rocco Jones
20-09-2016, 03:51 PM
I really don't like Roberts in our defensive set up. Adams, Morris, Cordy, Hamling, Wood and Biggs all the have the ability to play big or small adhoc. They aren't about a direct opponent. Roberts is different. He plays on the big guy, full stop. That's fine if he is a gun, but when he is struggling, he really limits us.

Mantis
20-09-2016, 03:56 PM

From that list of outs only a couple are best 22 and that's about it.

GWS are also a bit stronger too - Cyclops, Davis, Tomlinson & Smith didn't play last time around.

Ozza
20-09-2016, 04:39 PM
I think we have to back in what's working for us and that's a mobile defensive group & Roughy/Boyd ruck duo.. If our defence gets exposed so be it, but our best chance to win is they work together as a group, like they have been, and get plenty of help from our mids & forwards.

Happy to have Cordy as the swingman, start up forward on Haynes, and roll back as required (hopefully never).

I agree. Stick to our guns.

If the GWS forwards start marking the ball - it will have more to do with what is happening up the field, than the actual match ups - particularly when you consider that we were able to curtail the influence of Kennedy, Darling and the resting rucks in Perth, and then the likes of Gunston and Sicily really didn't mark the ball at all last week apart from a couple of times when they got loose and the actual size wasn't the reason for the mark.

Bringing in TC or Minno - IMO - is an awful idea. You just lose flexibility. At the moment, we have Zaine who can play back or forward, whereas dropping him for TC - TC can only play ruck/forward - so the plan B becomes Roughead going back to help, which takes him away from what he is in good form doing at the moment.

I think we have to try and win the game ourselves with our own game style, rather than try to stop GWS from winning.

Eastdog
20-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Was speaking to a mate before on the phone who is a Dogs fan and is going up to Sydney on Saturday and he said just probably keep it the way it is. Steve Johnson not playing is good for us. Guys like Honeychurch, Campbell and Stevens may be named on the extended bench will they go up? We also discussed how different the team was compared to when we played them last and he has strong belief will do it this time. It is our turn.

always right
20-09-2016, 07:06 PM
Guess I was thinking of them coming in for Cordy.

MrMahatma
20-09-2016, 10:15 PM
From that list of outs only a couple are best 22 and that's about it.

GWS are also a bit stronger too - Cyclops, Davis, Tomlinson & Smith didn't play last time around.

Stevie J out helps.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2016, 10:24 PM
Stevie J out helps.

Big time. Even with manic pressure he can kick them out of his arse. Which hits the scoreboard, but can generate or turn momentum, fire up his teammates and fire up the crowd. I'm happy he's not there.

angelopetraglia
20-09-2016, 10:55 PM
Stevie J has kicked 43 goals and averaged 19 touches per game. He also kicked two special goals against us last time and has so much finals experience. Massive out.

anfo27
21-09-2016, 06:00 PM
I'd have Roberts in for Cordy this week. We need the extra height against Patton, Lobb & Cameron. I hear what people are saying about sticking to our guns and how its worked against the hawks & eagles. The giants possess a much tougher, deeper & skilled midfield than those 2 sides. We aren't going to destroy their midfield like we have the other 2 so our defence needs better match ups.

Bulldog Joe
21-09-2016, 06:10 PM
I'd have Roberts in for Cordy this week. We need the extra height against Patton, Lobb & Cameron. I hear what people are saying about sticking to our guns and how its worked against the hawks & eagles. The giants possess a much tougher, deeper & skilled midfield than those 2 sides. We aren't going to destroy their midfield like we have the other 2 so our defence needs better match ups.

I get what you are saying, but sticking to our guns maintains our run.
We cannot approach as a how not to lose, instead it is how to win.

This means we play to our strengths and that is about positive contribution from every player.

If we take out a runner to play Roberts or Campbell we are sacrificing a part of our best asset instead of making them play on our terms.

bornadog
21-09-2016, 06:11 PM

Last time we played them, we beat them with contested possessions, disposals, even on clearances, but lost on disposal efficiency. (where we lost the game). We also had a much younger team with less games experience.

This time we have players coming back and a more experienced team. We need to pressure them and deny the footy, and make sure we hit targets.

BTW, Cordy is now taller than Roberts.

anfo27
21-09-2016, 06:42 PM
Last time we played them, we beat them with contested possessions, disposals, even on clearances, but lost on disposal efficiency. (where we lost the game). We also had a much younger team with less games experience.

This time we have players coming back and a more experienced team. We need to pressure them and deny the footy, and make sure we hit targets.

BTW, Cordy is now taller than Roberts.

Corey is listed at 191cm and Roberts 196cm.

We actually lost in the clearances and had less disposals.

I just think the giants midfield is miles better than what we have come up against the last 2 weeks. Our pressure will cause them problems in their ball movement but there will be times when they will get through and find their forwards in one on ones and we need to have a more balanced backline otherwise they will win every one on one.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-09-2016, 06:57 PM

We actually lost in the clearances and had less disposals.

I just think the giants midfield is miles better than what we have come up against the last 2 weeks. Our pressure will cause them problems in their ball movement but there will be times when they will get through and find their forwards in one on ones and we need to have a more balanced backline otherwise they will win every one on one.

If Roberts could be trusted one on one maybe, but he's nowhere near it.

Roscoe_G
21-09-2016, 07:14 PM
All,

Dare I ask - will the faithful boo Griffin?

chef
21-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Yes. I will.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Only if it would put him off. If he's likely to feed of it in a positive 'well I'll show them' kind of way, then I won't. Happy to hear thoughts on it.

comrade
21-09-2016, 07:24 PM
Will be awesome hearing him booed at his home ground.

Mantis
21-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Only if it would put him off. If he's likely to feed of it in a positive 'well I'll show them' kind of way, then I won't. Happy to hear thoughts on it.

Being a quietish guy I would think he would hate having the attention brought on him and he will go into his shell.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Being a quietish guy I would think he would hate having the attention brought on him and he will go into his shell.

I guess that also feeds into something Bevo said before the WCE game. In that he wanted to create 'an us and them' mindset. Having half the crowd boo him at his home ground certainly says from the fans, there is 'us' and if you cross us you're a 'them'. And today is about us. Would build even more energy into our 8,000+ people.

hujsh
21-09-2016, 08:17 PM

There are photos that show Cordy is now taller. Website just doesn't reflect this yet

boydogs
21-09-2016, 08:25 PM
I get what you are saying, but sticking to our guns maintains our run.
We cannot approach as a how not to lose, instead it is how to win.

This means we play to our strengths and that is about positive contribution from every player.

If we take out a runner to play Roberts or Campbell we are sacrificing a part of our best asset instead of making them play on our terms.

Anfo suggested Roberts come in for Cordy, not a runner

Cordy's role has been as a defensive forward, so saying we should keep him in because we need to play to our strengths instead of trying not to lose is a bit backwards

Bulldog Joe
21-09-2016, 10:21 PM
Anfo suggested Roberts come in for Cordy, not a runner

Cordy's role has been as a defensive forward, so saying we should keep him in because we need to play to our strengths instead of trying not to lose is a bit backwards

Yes Cordy has been utilised as a defensive forward, but it is his mobility that allows him to play the role required. I don't believe that Roberts offers the same mobility. Cordy assists our movement.

SonofScray
21-09-2016, 11:18 PM
All,

Dare I ask - will the faithful boo Griffin?
And Hiss.

Ozza
22-09-2016, 10:11 AM

I don't ever boo at the footy...HOWEVER....this weekend, being on the road, a prelim final...I imagine I'll be a bit more feral than usual. And given that Griffen seemed to struggle when the attention was on him at Etihad last year, I might just have to be a 'footy moron' for the day and 'boo'!!!!!

Mantis
22-09-2016, 10:42 AM
I don't ever boo at the footy...HOWEVER....this weekend, being on the road, a prelim final...I imagine I'll be a bit more feral than usual. And given that Griffen seemed to struggle when the attention was on him at Etihad last year, I might just have to be a 'footy moron' for the day and 'boo'!!!!!

Totally agree.

I loved Griff, he gave his all for us and left in circumstances that I don't believe were a true reflection of his character, but I too are going all out feral this weekend and he will be copping it from me.. Bloody turncoat!! ;)

Greystache
22-09-2016, 11:00 AM

We need to really target him as a crowd. He's not the player he was and is really only a fringe type these days, but seeing a senior and experienced finals player go to water under the pressure from the crowd will have an effect on their young front runners.

Greystache
22-09-2016, 11:00 AM

We need to really target him as a crowd. He's not the player he was and is really only a fringe type these days, but seeing a senior and experienced finals player go to water under the pressure from the crowd will have an effect on their young front runners.

SlimPickens
22-09-2016, 11:03 AM

Our crowd will be our 23rd player this week. Giants wont know what has hit them.

bornadog
22-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Press Conference: (thanks to WB Twitter account)

* We've got ambition and that's really driving us but I think we're keeping our heads.

* We could go in with an unchanged lineup. Although Lin Jong has come up really well. He'll train today and be considered if he's right.

* The boys have had a strong and healthy believe for a long time now.

* I'm not sure if momentum is an advantage over rest. Time will tell.
* GWS have shown they're really even across all of their lines. We'll need to play well across all three.

* Joel Hamling didn't play against GWS last time but we've seen that he can cover all sizes. He'll probably spend some time on Cameron.

* They'll replace Stevie J with a very good player, we now that. They've got significant depth.

* We'll have a run around on Spotless tomorrow to acclimatize a bit.

* We've had some big outcomes over the last couple of weeks. It's probably the best footy we've played since I've been here.

Mantis
22-09-2016, 11:28 AM
* We've had some big outcomes over the last couple of weeks. It's probably the best footy we've played since I've been here.

Isn't it great that this comment is true.. Great sign that we have been able to play so well in our biggest games of the year.. Long may it continue.

comrade
22-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Isn't it great that this comment is true.. Great sign that we have been able to play so well in our biggest games of the year.. Long may it continue.

First time I can recall having momentum and form peaking at the right time of the year. We're not limping to the end, we're bloody steam rolling.

comrade
22-09-2016, 11:40 AM
And Griffen will be getting my absolute best work on Saturday.

bornadog
22-09-2016, 12:12 PM
First time I can recall having momentum and form peaking at the right time of the year. We're not limping to the end, we're bloody steam rolling.

Remember 2010, injuries killed us leading into the finals.

The Pie Man
22-09-2016, 12:14 PM

I felt good coming into the QF in 09 - our close to the regular season was similar to 2016 Eagles in winning the last 3 over quality opposition, only to not show up 1st week of the finals.

We did have the double chance of course.

This is easily the best we've looked in finals in my time on this planet...other than up to 3 quarter time in some game in that year in the 90's (though by winning two finals, we've already surpassed that I guess)

comrade
22-09-2016, 12:24 PM
I felt good coming into the QF in 09 - our close to the regular season was similar to 2016 Eagles in winning the last 3 over quality opposition, only to not show up 1st week of the finals.

We did have the double chance of course.

This is easily the best we've looked in finals in my time on this planet...other than up to 3 quarter time in some game in that year in the 90's (though by winning two finals, we've already surpassed that I guess)

The 2009 QF was one of the most disappointing games I've ever seen. Geelong were ripe for the picking and we fluffed it.

Ozza
22-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Yep also agree on the point about how good it has been to get momentum in the finals.

Not sure we quite got it right 2008-2010. 2008 we were probably running out of steam a bit. 2009 we were better placed but took way too long to get into the qualifying final against Geelong - which if we won, I believe we would have played in the GF given that the top 3 were standouts that season.
2010 - injuries cruelled us, but the late season belting from Geelong was the end anyway.

Those semi finals against Sydney and Brisbane, we won - but wouldn't say any of them were emphatic enough to suggest we'd gather momentum from them as such - and they weren't really big stages/big crowds like last week.

LostDoggy
22-09-2016, 12:36 PM

The best and most timely footy we've played that I can remember.

cinder
22-09-2016, 01:27 PM
The most disappointing ones I've ever seen were the 2 Adelaide ones. And then, last year's Adelaide one.

Thank goodness they're out.

BulldogBelle
22-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Please correct me if this is not true.

The last time we played GWS they kicked goals out of their backside. They went through from all angles.

We on the other hand missed doozy set shots time after time.

If, ahem if, if you apply the average rule to kicking for goal and give every shot by both teams the AFL average result, then we would have won the game.

bornadog
22-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Please correct me if this is not true.

The last time we played GWS they kicked goals out of their backside. They went through from all angles.

We on the other hand missed doozy set shots time after time.

If, ahem if, if you apply the average rule to kicking for goal and give every shot by both teams the AFL average result, then we would have won the game.

We had the same amount of scoring shots that day, but yes your memory is correct. The biggest difference was disposal efficiency, they ran at 83% to our 73%.

Cyberdoggie
22-09-2016, 06:54 PM
The most disappointing ones I've ever seen were the 2 Adelaide ones. And then, last year's Adelaide one.

Thank goodness they're out.

The first one was horrible, as I was actually thinking about how i'm going to get GF tickets at 3/4 time.

2010 broke me. I was a mess after that one, After 7 and 3 in a row it hurt. The years gone since have let me recover somewhat but I am very apprehensive this time around. It does seem slightly different this year, beating teams against the odds in finals which we never have done really since 85. There's just something about the Giants that bothers me. Can't explain it but i'm worried.

cinder
22-09-2016, 07:00 PM
The first one was horrible, as I was actually thinking about how i'm going to get GF tickets at 3/4 time.

2010 broke me. I was a mess after that one, After 7 and 3 in a row it hurt. The years gone since have let me recover somewhat but I am very apprehensive this time around. It does seem slightly different this year, beating teams against the odds in finals which we never have done really since 85. There's just something about the Giants that bothers me. Can't explain it but i'm worried.

Yeah. They're going to be tough, no two ways about it.

Does anyone remember, the final where Bill Brownless kicked a goal after the siren to win, was that a pre-lim? Too young at the time to remember but I was there. Was it 92? Anyway if it was a prelim that makes it 6 losing pre-lims for me. Joy! ��

Edit: just looked it up - it was '94 & a qualifying final. So I've only been to 5 losing pre-lims.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 07:08 PM

Does anyone remember, the final where Bill Brownless kicked a goal after the siren to win, was that a pre-lim? Too young at the time to remember but I was there. Was it 92? Anyway if it was a prelim that makes it 6 losing pre-lims for me. Joy! ��

Not a prelim. Heart breaking after Richard Osborne got us in front with seconds to go. But not a prelim.

cinder
22-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Not a prelim. Heart breaking after Richard Osborne got us in front with seconds to go. But not a prelim.

Yeah. Another typical finals exit - here's hoping we'll be breaking that stigma this weekend.

anfo27
22-09-2016, 07:12 PM

Edit: just looked it up - it was '94 & a qualifying final. So I've only been to 5 losing pre-lims.

Nah not a prelim. Was there that night and Billy did nothing up till that point. Was the old final eight system so we had the double chance in the end.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Roberts in for Suckling!

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Suckling with an Achilles... Roberts in.

Ozza
22-09-2016, 07:17 PM

And by losing, we (theoretically) ended up in a better position due to the finals set up at the time. We lost and played Melbourne (who had finished 7th but won 1st week), and Geelong won and played Carlton (finished 2nd but lost).

In any case, we were cooked due to injuries, Standfield had to ruck second week - and the Dees ABSOLUTELY flogged us with G.Lyon kicking 10, and Schwartz running amok.

Ozza
22-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Suckling with an Achilles... Roberts in.

Ahhhh sh1t.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 07:23 PM
Ahhhh sh1t.

I said Ahhh f***, when I heard. Close enough sentiment.

azabob
22-09-2016, 07:24 PM
Damn, that selection hurts.

angelopetraglia
22-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Did we need an extra tall? Roberts isn't a direct swap for Suckers.

Hotdog60
22-09-2016, 07:27 PM
I think I may have gone Webb or Smith.

Doc26
22-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Not bad for balance. Matching up on Patton, Lobb and Cameron was going to be a stretch with only 1 semi KPD.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 07:29 PM

Hamling, Roberts, Morris, Cordy (if required), Wood & Roughy if needed rest on Lobb. Fairly tall. We must be backing our runners to make up the run and carry that Suckling brings for a dour one on one defender with limitations.

chef
22-09-2016, 07:30 PM

Roberts will be handy on Paton. Giants usually have 3 tall forwards.

comrade
22-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Perhaps it frees up Morris to take a dangerous mid sized player.

Or maybe we'll chuck him in the ruck as cannon fodder for Mummy ;)

Remi Moses
22-09-2016, 07:32 PM
A blow, but I think you can't carry an outside player against them .
Bit surprised it wasn't Webb

Ozza
22-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Palmer in for S.Johnson as expected.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 07:34 PM

Or maybe we'll chuck him in the ruck as cannon fodder for Mummy ;)

Or it's my crazy 1am last Saturday idea. Bring in someone who won't play in the grand final and give him a licence to shop hard early, shop hard often and shop hard full stop?

angelopetraglia
22-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Giants forwards are tall

Cameron 196cm
Patton 197cm
Lobb 206cm

Dogs Backs

Hamling 194cm
Cordy 191cm
Morris 190cm
Wood 186cm

I think that's why we brought in Roberts (196cm)

Ghost Dog
22-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Elated for Zaine Cordy. Playing in a finals series in the formative part of his career.
We were down for height in our backline against the Eagles. Their forward coaches will be looking to exploit our smaller backline.
I'd feel happier if Suckling was roosting it out of the backline, like he did against Haws.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Campbell, Roarke & Webb the travelling emergencies.

1eyedog
22-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Fairly obvious why Roberts has come in. Reckon Suckers has made way personally.

Ozza
22-09-2016, 07:40 PM

They are trying to suggest this on SEN just now. I don't agree. Suckling was very good last week. I reckon we would have backed ourselves to go small if Suckling was fit enough. No way he's omitted.

All it is, is Hamling shuffles up one, and Fletch plays deepest on a tall. Hammer gets a bit higher. IF Suckling played, then Hamling would have been deepest.

comrade
22-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Spewing for Footscray. No key defenders in a grand final.

Ghost Dog
22-09-2016, 07:49 PM
We have the crowd advantage, and a very similar group to last week. I can't see their midfield beating us but I can see their forwards ragdolling our backs. Our mids and forwards carry a heavier defensive burden this week I think.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-09-2016, 07:49 PM
Roberts? *!*!*!*!. Is it bad I've lost confidence in the win now?

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Roberts is the obvious replacement to assist Hamling against the taller GWS attack. Played very well for Footscray in its big Prelim final win against Collingwood. This is a good choice.

Rocket Science
22-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Sigh.

If our mids are applying sufficient pressure and the defensive unit around him is on song - ie: everything going to plan - Roberts is capable of being a serviceable cog.

If not and we need him to hold his own against one of their monsters, we're in strife.

He's just too exploitable at this level and at this stage of the season.

Ozza
22-09-2016, 08:00 PM
I think Fletch will do fine on Patton. Less comfortable with any times where he ends up on Cameron or Lobb.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 08:02 PM
Sigh.

If our mids are applying sufficient pressure and the defensive unit around him is on song - ie: everything going to plan - Roberts is capable of being a serviceable cog.

If not and we need him to hold his own against one of their monsters, we're in strife.

Yep, Patton was rag dolling the North defender in the last round who is very similar to Fletch. The idea of him being isolated on Patton, Cameron or Lobb has me very worried if the pressure up the ground isn't completely on song. If I were Leon Cameron, I'd be telling the mids to look for whoever is on Roberts. I guess if he's being beaten, we can swap him with Cordy, but he's not as agile or competent in the role Cotdy is playing. The match committee regularly prove me wrong, and I'm hoping it's another master stroke.

Rocket Science
22-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Yep, Patton was rag dolling the North defender in the last round who is very similar to Fletch. The idea of him being isolated on Patton, Cameron or Lobb has me very worried if the pressure up the ground isn't completely on song. If I were Leon Cameron, I'd be telling the mids to look for whoever is on Roberts. I guess if he's being beaten, we can swap him with Cordy, but he's not as agile or competent in the role Cotdy is playing. The match committee regularly prove me wrong, and I'm hoping it's another master stroke.

If we get up something tells me Roberts will owe Easton Wood a beer or two after the game.

Go_Dogs
22-09-2016, 08:10 PM
I think Fletch will do fine on Patton. Less comfortable with any times where he ends up on Cameron or Lobb.

Agree with this.

Losing Suckers hurts because he provides something a bit different but Fletch is a sensible inclusion against the Giants and whilst he hasn't been a star this year, he's done some OK jobs. Probably means we can keep Cordy forward which we most likely couldn't have done if Roberts doesn't come in.

SlimPickens
22-09-2016, 08:17 PM
Good in, love it. Go Dogs

1eyedog
22-09-2016, 08:19 PM
They are trying to suggest this on SEN just now. I don't agree. Suckling was very good last week. I reckon we would have backed ourselves to go small if Suckling was fit enough. No way he's omitted.

All it is, is Hamling shuffles up one, and Fletch plays deepest on a tall. Hammer gets a bit higher. IF Suckling played, then Hamling would have been deepest.

I'm not so sure. I think Suckers has been ok the past two weeks but understand we require more cover for the GWS forwards. Think the MC viewed Lobb, Patton and Cameron as too big a risk and someone had to make way. If it has to be a defender it's out of Suckers and Zaine and Zaine obviously has a more important role this week.

If our structures are tight Roberts will be ok. Even if our mids do play well defensively I think no Roberts this week means Zaine, Moz, Wood and Hamling would have been under the pump with the high ball coming in. Lobb and Cameron are very dangerous and if we are forced to play a Zaine-type on Patton it could end bad.

Twodogs
22-09-2016, 09:14 PM
And by losing, we (theoretically) ended up in a better position due to the finals set up at the time. We lost and played Melbourne (who had finished 7th but won 1st week), and Geelong won and played Carlton (finished 2nd but lost).

In any case, we were cooked due to injuries, Standfield had to ruck second week - and the Dees ABSOLUTELY flogged us with G.Lyon kicking 10, and Schwartz running amok.

That was a dispiriting day at tge footy to say the least. It's not often a player kicks ren goals and isn't BOG but Gary Lyon wasn't even the best forward on the ground that day. Schwartz took 28 (I think) marks at CHF and was easily BOG. If his knees didn't keep collapsing the Ox would have neen quite a player.

The coach loves Suckling. He wouldn't drop him like that.

Sigh.

If he gets exposed one out with any of their forwards and we are in trouble.

MrMahatma
22-09-2016, 09:28 PM
If our mids get beaten without Fletch, what happens? We get smashed.

I think this change makes sense and is the right move (the "In" is at any rate). We need more tall coverage down back. Having their talls so much bigger than our defence also hurts our ability to get it out of the back half.

Fletch may not be a star but he was solid for much of the season and will be solid again.

Go well Fletch!

ratsmac
22-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Fletcher Roberts makes me nervous, very nervous. He has played some decent games this year but he is just a bit slow. He's not the best when he one out with a good forward. We must defend well up the field to give Fletch the best chance of beating his man. I hope he can repay the coaches with a solid game.

Greystache
22-09-2016, 10:13 PM

He's not listed for Footscray in the GF. You don't leave a player out of a VFL grand final just to pretend you didn't drop him.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 10:31 PM
He's not listed for Footscray in the GF. You don't leave a player out of a VFL grand final just to pretend you didn't drop him.

When did facts even once form the basis of anything said on SEN?

boydogs
22-09-2016, 10:54 PM

Yep, this is the "We need Morris on Toby Greene" selection

An achilles injury is manageable, but there are times where it blows up too much and you're not at your best

Ozza
22-09-2016, 11:25 PM
That was a dispiriting day at tge footy to say the least. It's not often a player kicks ren goals and isn't BOG but Gary Lyon wasn't even the best forward on the ground that day. Schwartz took 28 (I think) marks at CHF and was easily BOG. If his knees didn't keep collapsing the Ox would have neen quite a player.

Well...12 marks...but he was definitely exceptional.

Ozza
22-09-2016, 11:26 PM

Indeed. But Robbo just jumped straight into that either we had dropped him and were covering it - or that he must be 'gone for the season'.

Just jump straight into baseless speculation boys....don't give it any thought.

LostDoggy
23-09-2016, 01:03 AM
Well now I'm more nervous than ever. Geeeeeeez.

LostDoggy
23-09-2016, 01:04 AM
Roberts? *!*!*!*!. Is it bad I've lost confidence in the win now?

No, I have too.

S Coast Simon
23-09-2016, 07:54 AM
I wouldn't mind Cordy to the backline and Roberts to CHF. He can take a grab and kick goals from 50. Hit him up in the first quarter and then his defender will have to stay with him

bornadog
23-09-2016, 04:12 PM
These Men will take us to a Grand Final

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs8YfqRUMAAip_S.jpg:large

Sedat
23-09-2016, 08:04 PM
Fletcher Roberts makes me nervous, very nervous. He has played some decent games this year but he is just a bit slow. He's not the best when he one out with a good forward. We must defend well up the field to give Fletch the best chance of beating his man. I hope he can repay the coaches with a solid game.
Patton is an ideal match-up for Roberts. Good horses for courses selection - we really need an extra tall defender against this mob and we haven't sacrificed running power in the midfield.

Mantis
24-09-2016, 07:45 AM
Patton is an ideal match-up for Roberts. Good horses for courses selection - we really need an extra tall defender against this mob and we haven't sacrificed running power in the midfield.

I wonder if we will give Roberts a specific role or he will just be out of the team defence. I too think he's best suited to Patton, not sure I want him to spend much time on Cameron.

Pickenitup
24-09-2016, 04:25 PM
Spoke to suckers today said if we win he will play next week said if he played today he wouldn't play next week

Ghost Dog
24-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Suckling out is a real blow. Will miss his finals experience. Big game for Fletch. He will come out and do us proud, I am really sure of that.
True to form you know GWS will come out and try to stick it to Tom B. Early score board pressure will keep them focused on the game.

Hotdog60
24-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Suckling out is a real blow. Will miss his finals experience. Big game for Fletch. He will come out and do us proud, I am really sure of that.
True to form you know GWS will come out and try to stick it to Tom B. Early score board pressure will keep them focused on the game.

It will be interesting to see if GWS target Boyd's shoulder after the news article that came out about him going for reconstruction after the finals are over.