PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times Will The Boyd/Gryphone Trade Get Mentioned This Week?

bulldogtragic
17-09-2016, 12:31 AM
I'm guessing a lot. I hope that Tom rips them to shreds.

bornadog
17-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Pretty good game from the big fella, 18 disposals and laid 5 tackles as well.

bulldogtragic
17-09-2016, 09:59 AM

Excellent game, essentially as a ruckman though. Career best 15 handballs. I'd like to see him forward a little more and stretch their defence.

Mofra
17-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Considering GWS's pick 6 (Marchbank) already wants out, we officially won the trade as far as I'm concerned

Remi Moses
17-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Already in today's age :rolleyes:

bulldogtragic
20-09-2016, 10:38 PM
It got a run on Monday night on Ch9.

Matthew Lloyd is the first to jump ship. He said Boyd had an absolutely huge upside, and that Marchbank will be at Carlton and Gryphone is only a depth midfielder, and again, Boyd has a huge upside.

Looking forward to them all back peddling like Lloyd.

Go_Dogs
21-09-2016, 09:07 AM
It got a run on Monday night on Ch9.

Matthew Lloyd is the first to jump ship. He said Boyd had an absolutely huge upside, and that Marchbank will be at Carlton and Gryphone is only a depth midfielder, and again, Boyd has a huge upside.

Looking forward to them all back peddling like Lloyd.

Even Leigh Matthews was talking him up during the WCE coverage. The tide is turning. Quickly.

Ozza
21-09-2016, 09:41 AM

Yeah - thought he was solid again.

Just on his tackles - all 5 of them were laid in the first quarter!

Nice to see him take a few marks at half forward, would have been great if he had have kicked that goal from 50 in the second quarter - hopefully he has saved up his goal output for this week.

westdog54
21-09-2016, 02:19 PM
Considering GWS's pick 6 (Marchbank) already wants out, we officially won the trade as far as I'm concerned

When you further consider that we were highly likely to take 2 Metre Peter, and that he's already showing good signs at GC, GWS have lost this one bigtime.

Bulldog Joe
21-09-2016, 02:33 PM
When you further consider that we were highly likely to take 2 Metre Peter, and that he's already showing good signs at GC, GWS have lost this one bigtime.

Not sure that loses them the trade because if they had taken 2MP that may be different. What they did was stuff the draft, but then they had so many picks they were probably pretty carefree.

Perhaps SOS was just looking to stockpile some mid rangers that he could eventually take back to Carlton.

westdog54
21-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Not sure that loses them the trade because if they had taken 2MP that may be different. What they did was stuff the draft, but then they had so many picks they were probably pretty carefree.

Perhaps SOS was just looking to stockpile some mid rangers that he could eventually take back to Carlton.

That'smy whole point though. What they do with the pick they receive is entirely relevant to assessing the outcome of the trade.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2016, 03:13 PM
That'smy whole point though. What they do with the pick they receive is entirely relevant to assessing the outcome of the trade.

Yep. Say they get Pick 16 for him (fir discussion sake). The trade then is Tom Boyd for Gryphone and pick 16 2016. And if they stuff that or they leave, then it's pretty much a straight swap for a pick 1 KPP and Gryphone and his bad back. Time makes this a winning trade for us. If Boys gets to standard I personally think he can achieve (as I've been watching him for many years) then it will be a steal and the precedent that clubs will follow in the future.

So Tom Boyd haters, and separately the haters of the deal best be ready for a large serving of humble pie.

comrade
21-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Not to mention we front loaded his deal to hit the minimum salary cap requirement, meaning he will be on a relatively standard wage when the base cap rises over the next 24 months. This will free up space to retain our stars and pursue free agents as we are contending, whilst having a genuine star KPP on the list.

boydogs
21-09-2016, 09:21 PM
It's looking a bit like the Shannon Grant / Wayne Schwass trade. North were blasted for trading away a star of the club for an unknown but promising junior, but 2 years later Schwass is sitting on the couch and Grant becomes a star of the comp for 10 years

westdog54
21-09-2016, 09:59 PM
Yep. Say they get Pick 16 for him (fir discussion sake). The trade then is Tom Boyd for Gryphone and pick 16 2016. And if they stuff that or they leave, then it's pretty much a straight swap for a pick 1 KPP and Gryphone and his bad back. Time makes this a winning trade for us. If Boys gets to standard I personally think he can achieve (as I've been watching him for many years) then it will be a steal and the precedent that clubs will follow in the future.

So Tom Boyd haters, and separately the haters of the deal best be ready for a large serving of humble pie.

The Jordan McMahon trade is a prime example of this.

We used the pick we got for Jordan to draft Callan Ward.

We used the Ward compensation pick to draft Jack Macrae.

We could effectively still be benefiting from this trade almost 20 years after it happened.

Twodogs
21-09-2016, 10:06 PM
It's looking a bit like the Shannon Grant / Wayne Schwass trade. North were blasted for trading away a star of the club for an unknown but promising junior, but 2 years later Schwass is sitting on the couch and Grant becomes a star of the comp for 10 years

We were all set to sign Grant but on the day he was supposed to sign there was a story on the back page of the sun quoting Libba saying he hadn't been payed. Grant dropped us and signed with North instead.

bornadog
22-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has extended an olive branch to Ryan Griffen (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/western-bulldogs-president-peter-gordon-has-extended-an-olive-branch-to-ryan-griffen/news-story/50f9a15a883ab50693280cff024286ac)

chef
22-09-2016, 03:55 PM
Nope. He can get stuffed.

Rocket Science
22-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Nope. He can get stuffed.

Stuffed and mounted perhaps?

http://s12.postimg.org/5fpnyv5x9/3187acf7627780ac95f27d3935d95438_copy.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/bgncvxsjd/)

bornadog
22-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Stuffed and mounted perhaps?

http://s12.postimg.org/5fpnyv5x9/3187acf7627780ac95f27d3935d95438_copy.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/bgncvxsjd/)

I love your work RS. I hope you don't mind me using some of these.

Rocket Science
22-09-2016, 05:24 PM
I love your work RS. I hope you don't mind me using some of these.

Ha! Be my guest bornadog.

KT31
23-09-2016, 11:44 AM
western bulldogs president peter gordon has extended an olive branch to ryan griffen (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/western-bulldogs-president-peter-gordon-has-extended-an-olive-branch-to-ryan-griffen/news-story/50f9a15a883ab50693280cff024286ac)

@#$% him !!!!!

LostDoggy
24-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Griffen was crap tonight so who cares. No olives or branches.

EasternWest
24-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Griffen was crap tonight so who cares. No olives or branches.

He certainly wasn't the finals player for them he was for us.

Personally I thought Boyd was an absolute lion for us in that game. Broke even in the ruck in the fourth and ran himself ragged. May have not played his actual best game but he played his heart out.

KT31
24-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Big Tommy's smother late in the game was so important, Tom stood up tonight in Roughies absence and has been great so far in the final series.
Nothing more to see here, move on #$%@ Barrett.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Watching the highlights. When Caleb snaps his goal Gryphone is on the ground slipped. Bonts last quarter goal started with Matty Boyd intercepting Gryphone who ended up on the ground. I'm happy to credit him with two goal assists for us. I hope it stings for him.

hujsh
25-09-2016, 12:15 AM
Watching the highlights. When Caleb snaps his goal Gryphone is on the ground slipped. Bonts last quarter goal started with Matty Boyd intercepting Gryphone who ended up on the ground. I'm happy to credit him with two goal assists for us. I hope it stings for him.

I'd correct you and say Clay put him out of the contest with his bump but then I realised that since Clay's a force of nature it's probably accurate to say Griffon slipped

bulldogtragic
25-09-2016, 12:20 AM
I'd correct you and say Clay put him out of the contest with his bump but then I realised that since Clay's a force of nature it's probably accurate to say Griffon slipped

Clay harder than Gryphone? I'll pay that. Many media might just be saying we've now officially won that trade.

Testekill
25-09-2016, 12:44 AM
Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has extended an olive branch to Ryan Griffen (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/western-bulldogs-president-peter-gordon-has-extended-an-olive-branch-to-ryan-griffen/news-story/50f9a15a883ab50693280cff024286ac)

Olive branch rescinded

Sedat
25-09-2016, 12:59 AM
Clay went in lower and harder - massive moment in the game when we were looking wobbly.

Griff only 4 kicks for the night - he is an absolute shadow of the player he was for us.

LostDoggy
25-09-2016, 01:09 AM
Olive branch rescinded

Olive branch mulched and then burnt.

LostDoggy
25-09-2016, 05:22 AM
The media report I read had griff ahead of Boyd. 🙄

Hotdog60
25-09-2016, 07:31 AM
Clay went in lower and harder - massive moment in the game when we were looking wobbly.

Griff only 4 kicks for the night - he is an absolute shadow of the player he was for us.

I think Jack Macrae was on him at times and had the better. I think he did us a big favour in leaving as I think he is mentally shot, he's played some very good finals for us but as you say is only a shadow of his former self.

Topdog
25-09-2016, 08:43 AM
4 kicks? That's a shocking output

ledge
25-09-2016, 10:30 AM
I don't think Griff is mentally strong , just a quiet guy who hates the attention, seems you get in his head and he falls apart , maybe that's why he failed as a captain .
No idea why Macca ever made him captain considering he is an expert on players mind set. It seems it has destroyed Griffens career on what he was before the captaincy

Flamethrower
25-09-2016, 12:53 PM
I can't believe that the AEFL's own website says that last night proved that the Plastics are winning the Boyd trade. Some people have no idea. Our ex captain was as close to invisible as a midfielder can be in this era of inflated statistics. The Plastics needed him to step up when Ward was Zained, he did the opposite.

The whole second half I was stressing thinking that Tom would tire and Mumford & Lobb would help the Plastics dominate the clearances - but Tom stood up and was vital in the win when Roughy went down.

hujsh
25-09-2016, 01:07 PM
I'd forgotten until I read it here how great Griff's record was in finals for us. He really must be shot mentally and/or physically to have the game he did

Topdog
25-09-2016, 02:51 PM
I can't believe that the AEFL's own website says that last night proved that the Plastics are winning the Boyd trade. Some people have no idea. Our ex captain was as close to invisible as a midfielder can be in this era of inflated statistics. The Plastics needed him to step up when Ward was Zained, he did the opposite.

The whole second half I was stressing thinking that Tom would tire and Mumford & Lobb would help the Plastics dominate the clearances - but Tom stood up and was vital in the win when Roughy went down.

You got a link for that? Boyd was completely spent about 20 minutes into the third and looked like the injury was going to cost us the game. That he stood up again in the last was incredible

Topdog
25-09-2016, 02:52 PM

You got a link for that? Boyd was completely spent about 20 minutes into the third and looked like the injury was going to cost us the game. That he stood up again in the last was incredible

bulldogtragic
25-09-2016, 08:17 PM
It's like... You know... You're in desperate love with your partner of 10 years, and from nowhere they dump you via text message. Then at a mutual friends wedding a while down the track, you see them and they're fat, ugly and no good at footy.

Then you're not so angry at all, more so just full of shame & pity for them while they sit alone in the corner and while you dance the night away with your new hottie.

Yep. Life works in mysterious ways. :D

bulldogtragic
25-09-2016, 11:05 PM
Gee, Barrett said Boyd played well after Roughy went down.

Can someone check if he'll has frozen over.

cinder
26-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Gee, Barrett said Boyd played well after Roughy went down.

Can someone check if he'll has frozen over.

No but I did see some pigs fly ...

westdog54
26-09-2016, 06:14 AM

Griff 4 kicks, Clay kicks 4.

Love it.

My man-crush deepens.