PDA

View Full Version : Digging deep

Twodogs
17-09-2016, 02:01 AM
It was great to see a bulldog team stare down a series of big moments in a final and be confident that we'd win them. The boys really dug deep, even when we couldn't convert easy shots at goal and they just kicked goals at will and got out to close to a 4 goal lead we stuck to our plan and it started to pay off.

Two more wins.

bulldogtragic
17-09-2016, 02:25 AM
Has a new team (WCE onwards) ever won their first prelim?

Twodogs
17-09-2016, 02:43 AM
Has a new team (WCE onwards) ever won their first prelim?

Errr. Don't think West Coast lose a prelim before 1992. Adelaide did in 1993 after being 7 goals up at halftime. Port had that long line of finals chokes before 2004, some of those must have been prelims. Freo definitely lost a prelim because the crowd stood and applauded them off the ground.

Webby
17-09-2016, 02:57 AM
Errr. Don't think West Coast lose a prelim before 1992. Adelaide did in 1993 after being 7 goals up at halftime. Port had that long line of finals chokes before 2004, some of those must have been prelims. Freo definitely lost a prelim because the crowd stood and applauded them off the ground.

I'm home after an ENORMOUS night post our win vs Hawks, so forgive inaccuracies, but didn't WCE lose the 1990 prelim to Collingwood after a replay? ie. After Sumich hit the post?

Twodogs
17-09-2016, 03:30 AM
I'm home after an ENORMOUS night post our win vs Hawks, so forgive inaccuracies, but didn't WCE lose the 1990 prelim to Collingwood after a replay? ie. After Sumich hit the post?

I thought that drawn game was earlier in that final series?

westdog54
17-09-2016, 03:57 AM
I thought that drawn game was earlier in that final series?
Yep, pretty sure that was a semi final, not a prelim.

Remi Moses
17-09-2016, 04:36 AM
The drawn game was a qualifying final, and a bit hard on the Eagles

divvydan
17-09-2016, 04:37 AM
The drawn game was the qualifying final (2nd v 3rd). Final 5 system so Ess (1st) had the week off, which became 2 weeks off. Essendon did later beat WCE in the prelim final that year though before losing the GF to Coll. I will say that WCE were pretty horribly shafted by that finals system though as after losing to Collingwood in the replay, they had to play away against Melbourne (4th) who had beaten Hawthorn (5th) in the elimination final. By the time the prelim final came around, WCE had played 5 straight games in Victoria.

Ozza
21-09-2016, 01:28 PM
This is just from the top of my head apologies if inaccurate on years;

Eagles lost 1st prelim to Essendon.
Brisbane Bears lost 1st prelim to Kangaroos in 96; then Brisbane Lions lost a prelim (also to North) in 1999.
Dockers lost first prelim to Sydney at ANZ (think it was 06' when all the top 4 were interstaters).
Port lost prelim's in 2002 and 2003 - one of them was to Collingwood at the MCG because I was there.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-09-2016, 02:01 PM
This is just from the top of my head apologies if inaccurate on years;

Eagles lost 1st prelim to Essendon.
Brisbane Bears lost 1st prelim to Kangaroos in 96; then Brisbane Lions lost a prelim (also to North) in 1999.
Dockers lost first prelim to Sydney at ANZ (think it was 06' when all the top 4 were interstaters).
Port lost prelim's in 2002 and 2003 - one of them was to Collingwood at the MCG because I was there.

Correct.

Eagles lost in 90
Crows lost in 93
Brisbane lost in 96
Power lost in 2002
Dockers lost in 2006

The only one i'm not sure on is sydney. They won in 96 but did they play in one before that? Guess they and Brisbane don't really count as new teams though

comrade
21-09-2016, 02:28 PM
Which one of those teams was gifted 23 first rounders, millions extra in salary cap, an extended list, priority 17 year olds and a fertile footy region all to themselves?

The AFL has set GWS precisely to avoid the pitfalls previous expansion clubs have experienced.

Bulldog Joe
21-09-2016, 02:28 PM
The upshot is that no expansion club has won a flag without losing a final on the journey.

GWS just need a finals loss before they can win a flag and this week seems the perfect opportunity for that loss.