PDA

View Full Version : Spotless: the brighter side of it all

Webby
19-09-2016, 02:44 PM
Although I'm filthy that the AFL arrogantly painted us into the Spotless corner, perhaps selfishly (I've got my ticket, now!) I'm beginning to see the brighter side of life...

Spotless Stadium is far more similar to Etihad's (and the MCG's) dimensions than ANZ Stadium. ANZ Stadium is extremely narrow (something that upset Sydney - with the stark contrast to the very wide SCG). Etihad and Spotless are within 4-5M of each other for both width and length. (Spotless being slightly longer and slightly narrower.)

Secondly, had ANZ Stadium been used, the AFL would no doubt have ended up giving tickets away via "weeties packets" on the Thursday and Friday leading up to the game. This in order to top up the crowd numbers. That would, in turn, no doubt, result in the 8-12k core of Doggies being drowned out by screaming layman types from Sydney's west.

As it is, us Dogs fans will beg, borrow and steal to get into Spotless. The more apathetic GWS crowd may end up "giving their tickets in return for compensation" to Dogs fans. Not to mention AFL members doing the same. This may mean that, in a 24k capacity stadium, the Dogs actually end up with 50% of the crowd behind us...

Something that would be impossible anywhere else!

Just saying, every cloud...

bornadog
19-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Tickets sold out, won't be surprised if 90% Dogs fans

Cyberdoggie
19-09-2016, 02:51 PM
Will be a better atmosphere anyway. ANZ apparently is a completely dog of a stadium, and with only 30k there it would feel like a half empty Waverley Park.

Ground dimension wise I'm not sure what suits us to be honest. The games we have lost this year have been at Etihad, Spotless, KP and Subi. Yet we won a final in Subi and we could of perhaps knocked off Geelong if Libba didn't get injured.
Then there is the MCG, haven't lost there this year. I can't work out if we prefer the wider grounds or the skinnier ones, but seeing how we are able to find space more at the MCG I think that is our preference.

Or perhaps we are just good at both.

craigsahibee
19-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Will be a better atmosphere anyway. ANZ apparently is a completely dog of a stadium, and with only 30k there it would feel like a half empty Waverley Park.

Ground dimension wise I'm not sure what suits us to be honest. The games we have lost this year have been at Etihad, Spotless, KP and Subi. Yet we won a final in Subi and we could of perhaps knocked off Geelong if Libba didn't get injured.
Then there is the MCG, haven't lost there this year. I can't work out if we prefer the wider grounds or the skinnier ones, but seeing how we are able to find space more at the MCG I think that is our preference.

Or perhaps we are just good at both.

Isn't 12 months a long time in football? This time last year our inability to win games at the G was our downfall.

aker39
19-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Tickets sold out, won't be surprised if 90% Dogs fans

It is NOT sold out.

Tickets still available.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Etihad: 159.5 metres x 128.8 metres

Domain Stadium: 175.6 metres x 122.4 metre

MCG: 160 metres x 141 metres

Spotless: 164 metres x 123 metres

ANZ: 160 metres x 118 metres

SCG: 149 metres x 136 metres

So same width as Domain where we beat the eagles, but similar length to MCG and ANZ. So essentially playing at a skinnier MCG.

From the last 2 weeks you would have to say the narrower ground suited us. I felt we got exposed a bit on the wider MCG last week, but we simply had more in the tank compared to the Hawks so it opened up and worked for us later in the game as they tired. Won't be the case with GWS.

In terms of length, it's hard to say. We certainly did well against the eagles at the very long Domain stadium. But you have to feel as though the giants would love a bit of space to get their running game up and.......well running. I feel the less space we give them, the more it works in our favour

Ozza
19-09-2016, 03:26 PM
It appears to be only 're-sale' tickets available....whatever that means.

aker39
19-09-2016, 03:36 PM
It appears to be only 're-sale' tickets available....whatever that means.

That is people trying to flog them off at higher prices.

But their are still normal tickets available

LostDoggy
19-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Correct Aker, I just checked and some are still available though not the cheapest ones.

Ozza
19-09-2016, 04:02 PM
It's going to be a real buzz being up there and having the bulldogs supporters as a dominating presence interstate.

bornadog
19-09-2016, 04:44 PM
It is NOT sold out.

Tickets still available.
A lot of miscommunication. For Gods sake how hard can it be to sell tickets.

Ozza
19-09-2016, 04:45 PM
That is people trying to flog them off at higher prices.

But their are still normal tickets available

How is that allowed to happen ON their site?

I guess this is the problem with allowing members to buy several visitors tickets. People can just buy a stack of tickets (like many accidentally did) and then sell them for more later on.

I'll have to remember this money making venture for next year!!!

What has been pleasing though - is that it would appear that all members that intended on going to the game, have been accommodated. I'm yet to hear of anyone missing out.

Cyberdoggie
19-09-2016, 06:06 PM
How dare you insinuate that the good people of ticketek are solely focussed on money making schemes. ;)

What about the good all GF expression of interest registration fee we will cop on Thursday for the 4 clubs in the Prelims.

cinder
19-09-2016, 06:40 PM
What about the good old GF expression of interest registration fee we will cop on Thursday for the 4 clubs in the Prelims.

I was talking to my boss about that today and he can't see how that's legal. But it's Ticketek/TicketMaster. I'm sure they can do whatever they want.

soupman
19-09-2016, 07:06 PM

I guess this is the problem with allowing members to buy several visitors tickets. People can just buy a stack of tickets (like many accidentally did) and then sell them for more later on.

I'll have to remember this money making venture for next year!!!

What has been pleasing though - is that it would appear that all members that intended on going to the game, have been accommodated. I'm yet to hear of anyone missing out.

It's legalised scalping.

Earlier this year I purchased tickets for Coldplay in December. The tickets I was trying to buy were $120, but they sold out too quickly despite me being ready to go at sale time and knowing what I'm doing when I buy them. After trying multiple times with no success I had a look at the resell option on the Ticketmaster website. People were selling those exact tickets for $769 each, and the same seller was selling 8 of them (the max you could buy in one go) all at that price. This is less than half an hour after they went on sale. What a joke.

LostDoggy
19-09-2016, 10:06 PM

AFEL Approved and Endorsed.
Would anyone expect anything less?!

Bulldog Joe
19-09-2016, 10:44 PM
It's legalised scalping.

Earlier this year I purchased tickets for Coldplay in December. The tickets I was trying to buy were $120, but they sold out too quickly despite me being ready to go at sale time and knowing what I'm doing when I buy them. After trying multiple times with no success I had a look at the resell option on the Ticketmaster website. People were selling those exact tickets for $769 each, and the same seller was selling 8 of them (the max you could buy in one go) all at that price. This is less than half an hour after they went on sale. What a joke.

This sort of thing happens on ebay a lot!!

When you are legitimately trying to buy and can't get on AT THE DESIGNATED opening time, how is it possible for all these resellers to get maximum allocations. I strongly suspect that there is some form of collusion or it is direct scalping by the ticket agency themselves.

Rocco Jones
19-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Any idea of how many Dogs are going? Heard 8.1k.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2016, 11:06 PM
Any idea of how many Dogs are going? Heard 8.1k.

Jon Ralph says:

GWS 6,200
Dogs 8,100
Public 4,600 (left for sale)

Assuming 5,000 were set aside for their so called 'ANZ members'.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2016, 11:09 PM
So they've got about 11,000 going, we've got over 8,000. If the neutrals come along to support us, we could conceivably have more support there.

Peter Gordon should be asking Sydney members & general GWS haters to come out and lend us their voice.

bornadog
19-09-2016, 11:13 PM
Jon Ralph says:

GWS 6,200
Dogs 8,100
Public 4,600 (left for sale)

Assuming 5,000 were set aside for their so called 'ANZ members'.

The AFL said 1800 left over and would be available for public tomorrow.

MrMahatma
19-09-2016, 11:22 PM
Huge chance for doggies fans to make an away final feel like a home one. Be loud. Be many.

angelopetraglia
20-09-2016, 12:35 AM
A huge factor of playing away is not having the crowd on your side. It is a proven fact that umpires all over the world give more favourable decisions to home teams. It looks we will at least break even or even make more noise than the GWS fans. This IMHO takes away a big advantage of the home team.

Twodogs
20-09-2016, 01:42 AM
A huge factor of playing away is not having the crowd on your side. It is a proven fact that umpires all over the world give more favourable decisions to home teams. It looks we will at least break even or even make more noise than the GWS fans. This IMHO takes away a big advantage of the home team.

The numbers I saw a while ago had almost 2000 more tickets sold to bulldog members than GWS supporters or conscripts or dilettantes or whatever they want to call themselves.

mattempo
20-09-2016, 10:38 AM
As much as I hate the inconsistency shown by the AFL in granting GWS a home final and not Geelong or us last year (we seated an extra 7,000, which is probably the same as what may be seated at ANZ if this game was there). As a fan I will much prefer going to Spotless compared to ANZ. I liken it to watching rugby with 25,000 at AAMI park compared to 30,000 at Etihad, the atmosphere is incomparably better at AAMI park.

bornadog
20-09-2016, 10:40 AM
As much as I hate the inconsistency shown by the AFL in granting GWS a home final and not Geelong or us last year (we seated an extra 7,000, which is probably the same as what may be seated at ANZ if this game was there). As a fan I will much prefer going to Spotless compared to ANZ. I liken it to watching rugby with 25,000 at AAMI park compared to 30,000 at Etihad, the atmosphere is incomparably better at AAMI park.

The game should have been at the SCG - the surface for starters at ANZ is not up to standard, plus location wise the SCG is more central to public transport etc.

mattempo
20-09-2016, 10:57 AM
The game should have been at the SCG - the surface for starters at ANZ is not up to standard, plus location wise the SCG is more central to public transport etc.

fair enough. the SCG would have been a great option although it still wouldn't fill out. it seems that they were mostly correct on the number of travelling fans, with some tickets still on sale all bulldogs fans that want to go have been able to get tickets, just possibly at different category prices than they want

1eyedog
20-09-2016, 11:19 AM

Oh we will make more noise than them no doubt about it.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Oh we will make more noise than them no doubt about it.

Absolutely. Passion generates noise. All 6000 of their fans that are going will have zero passion as it's not humanly possible to have passion for that "club".

MrMahatma
20-09-2016, 12:55 PM
fair enough. the SCG would have been a great option although it still wouldn't fill out. it seems that they were mostly correct on the number of travelling fans, with some tickets still on sale all bulldogs fans that want to go have been able to get tickets, just possibly at different category prices than they want

You'd think another 5-7k neutrals would go to SCG. You can't underestimate how much even Sydney residents hate heading all the way out there. They often don't even sell out Origin at ANZ cause it's such a ball-ache to get to.

mjp
20-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Absolutely. Passion generates noise. All 6000 of their fans that are going will have zero passion as it's not humanly possible to have passion for that "club".

That's harsh. I am sure there are a core of footy fans out in the west who have been with the Giants since day dot. I don't like the concessions but if they have fans, good luck to them. Whilst you couldn't exactly say that they were long suffering, they have gone through some pretty lean times and copped some almighty floggings in their short history.

Spotless as a venue is actually pretty cool. I saw it called a 'skinnier MCG' earlier in this thread and whilst that is technically true, it is really a 'skinnier Etihad'. It should suit us just fine.

Ozza
20-09-2016, 05:01 PM
The giants have lost 2 of their last 3 at Spotless.

Lost to the pies.
Lost to the eagles by a point
Beat a dockers side who weren't interested - and were saving their bullets for the Pav farewell.

At their other home ground (Manuka), They've been bulletproof. They beat Geelong, they walloped Port by 86 points & Richmond by 88 points.

KT31
20-09-2016, 05:13 PM
You'd think another 5-7k neutrals would go to SCG. You can't underestimate how much even Sydney residents hate heading all the way out there. They often don't even sell out Origin at ANZ cause it's such a ball-ache to get to.

No such thing as neutrals, if they don't support one of the three other teams left they are now on the Doggies bandwagon.:)

comrade
20-09-2016, 05:24 PM
No such thing as neutrals, if they don't support one of the three other teams left they are now on the Doggies bandwagon.:)

Saints fans will be sweating bullets. They don't want to be left on 1 flag all alone.

Webby
20-09-2016, 08:22 PM
Saints fans will be sweating bullets. They don't want to be left on 1 flag all alone.

Well we know the feeling! I remember sweating bullets in 2009 & 2010 (x2).
Although in '09, I recall being filthy with Riewoldt and wanting to see him cry like a baby..!

KT31
20-09-2016, 08:24 PM

Exactly my thoughts when the made it to the Granny, but I think they would rather see us win this week than GWS.

craigsahibee
21-09-2016, 03:59 PM

Level with Port Adelaide and 1 ahead of Fremantle, Gold Coast and GWS. Tragic ;)

Mofra
21-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Be a few BF North fans hating our recent form too

hujsh
21-09-2016, 04:44 PM
To be fair I didn't want to see the Saints win for the same reasons in 2009-10

Of course if we win I'll be indifferent to them winning in the future.

Ozza
21-09-2016, 04:56 PM
To be fair I didn't want to see the Saints win for the same reasons in 2009-10

Of course if we win I'll be indifferent to them winning in the future.

Yes, agreed!

Would be an unbelievable feeling, and a real monkey off the back to no longer be a 'one premiership team', '50,60,70 year drought' etc. And to no longer be coupled with St.Kilda as the 'tragic' teams.

comrade
21-09-2016, 05:04 PM
Yes, agreed!

Would be an unbelievable feeling, and a real monkey off the back to no longer be a 'one premiership team', '50,60,70 year drought' etc. And to no longer be coupled with St.Kilda as the 'tragic' teams.

I'll never forget having '1954' spat into my face by a Bombers fan after a game a few years ago. Winning one will deny all the knobs out there the only bullet they can fire at our club and fans. It will be infuriating for them :D

KT31
21-09-2016, 05:27 PM
I'll never forget having '1954' spat into my face by a Bombers fan after a game a few years ago. Winning one will deny all the knobs out there the only bullet they can fire at our club and fans. It will be infuriating for them :D

I'm afraid it will take more than one, but one will will a good start.

Twodogs
21-09-2016, 05:41 PM

I really don't care about St Kilda.

Be a few BF North fans hating our recent form too

That's who I want to go past. It really rankles they have more AFEL premierships than us.

Ozza
21-09-2016, 06:44 PM
It will be nice to think of '1954' as a good thing. Because at the moment it always has the word 'since' in front of it and the negative connotation of how long its been.

comrade
21-09-2016, 06:58 PM
I'm afraid it will take more than one, but one will will a good start.

Nah, one will shut them up. 'You've only won TWO flags', '2016!' Etc doesn't quite have the same sting :)

hujsh
21-09-2016, 08:14 PM
Nah, one will shut them up. 'You've only won TWO flags', '2016!' Etc doesn't quite have the same sting :)

And we can tell them they haven't even won one this millennium.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2016, 08:19 PM
So they can call me a wet *!*!*!*!ing piece of shit *!*!*!*!wit, mother *!*!*!*!er, son of a bitch, shit club loving loser... And I can say that we are reigning AFL premiers... I'm more than happy to live with that. In fact they can make up new insulting words and use them in however derogatory way they want.

Twodogs
22-09-2016, 01:38 AM
Just having a Grand Final Parade appearance to point to in my lifetime would be Good.

Greystache
22-09-2016, 01:12 PM
And we can tell them they haven't even won one this millennium.

Or that their latest rebuild will take them into the 3rd decade since they've played in a grand final!