PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions

Scraggers
22-09-2016, 01:38 AM
Based on Mantis' "Dilemma" thread I thought I would share my own superstition.

Whilst playing district cricket in Melbourne, our team had a superstition that you did not shave between innings. Sometimes innings would be held over from one weekend to the next; this meant there were 11 of us running around all week with bum-fluff on our faces not wanting to break the curse.

Continuing with that theme in 1992 (my last year of rep cricket) I refused to shave, get a hair cut, cut my fingernails etc during the entire AFL finals series until we made the grand final. I couldn't do it ... I re-negged just before the prelim. I had to shave the bum-fluff off. I looked like a tennis ball that had been run over by a lawn mower. History tells us we lost that prelim.

I have done this in every finals series we have played in since. (Last year was easy with just one week). In 97 & 98 it was the same; I re-negged. Again in 2008, 09 & 10 ... re-negged re-negged re-begged. NOT THIS YEAR. I refuse to re-neg.

(By the way ... if you're looking for me at the G on grand final day, I'll be the werewolf in the Bulldogs scarf :cool:)

Anyway ... Does anyone else have superstitions?

LostDoggy
22-09-2016, 08:22 AM

Whilst playing district cricket in Melbourne, our team had a superstition that you did not shave between innings. Sometimes innings would be held over from one weekend to the next; this meant there were 11 of us running around all week with bum-fluff on our faces not wanting to break the curse.

Continuing with that theme in 1992 (my last year of rep cricket) I refused to shave, get a hair cut, cut my fingernails etc during the entire AFL finals series until we made the grand final. I couldn't do it ... I re-negged just before the prelim. I had to shave the bum-fluff off. I looked like a tennis ball that had been run over by a lawn mower. History tells us we lost that prelim.

I have done this in every finals series we have played in since. (Last year was easy with just one week). In 97 & 98 it was the same; I re-negged. Again in 2008, 09 & 10 ... re-negged re-negged re-begged. NOT THIS YEAR. I refuse to re-neg.

(By the way ... if you're looking for me at the G on grand final day, I'll be the werewolf in the Bulldogs scarf :cool:)

Stay strong Scraggers,
For the love of EJ,Charlie and all Dogs supporters,man stay the course!! ;)

bornadog
22-09-2016, 09:22 AM
I do have an unlucky scarf, and I don't wear it anymore as we seem to lose each time I have worn it,

The Pie Man
22-09-2016, 11:18 AM
https://youtu.be/wYUcWx6oV54

Not sure how to properly embed this video - hopefully the link works

hujsh
22-09-2016, 02:33 PM
https://youtu.be/wYUcWx6oV54

Not sure how to properly embed this video - hopefully the link works

Geting the link from the top of the page instead of right clicking on the video usually works. (the youtu.be is a sign that's what you did and probably part of why it's not working)

G-Mo77
22-09-2016, 05:06 PM
I've watched every game so far this finals series in my bedroom laying on the bed. This is how I will do it again on Saturday.

LostDoggy
22-09-2016, 05:40 PM
I've done the same!

comrade
22-09-2016, 05:43 PM
I've watched every game so far this finals series in my bedroom laying on the bed. This is how I will do it again on Saturday.

I've watched every game so far in a state of anxiety and ultra high stress. I will do it again on Saturday :D

Eastdog
22-09-2016, 09:03 PM
Myself:

Couch Week 1 win
Went to the G Week 2 win
Couch Week 3 win hopefully
Going to the GF Week 4 premiers!!

LostDoggy
22-09-2016, 10:08 PM

A bit like yourself Scragger.
Had a shave the night before our first final against West Coke then when we smashed them didn't shave all week leading up to the Dawks game.Stayed rough Friday night and we pummelled the Dawks.
My face will stay untouched when we beat the Plastics and will remain so until after GF.
Crazy I know!! :p

westdog54
22-09-2016, 10:51 PM
My kids were allowed to stay up for both our finals thus far.

I didn't let them stay up last year.

I'm counting it.

Scraggers
22-09-2016, 11:05 PM
Had a shave the night before our first final against West Coke then when we smashed them didn't shave all week leading up to the Dawks game.Stayed rough Friday night and we pummelled the Dawks.
My face will stay untouched when we beat the Plastics and will remain so until after GF.

Samson and Delilah-ish

LostDoggy
29-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Face is still untouched!
Itchy as hell but a small price to pay to see premiership glory!

Scraggers
30-09-2016, 01:10 AM
I couldn't do it. After listening to Bonti talking about writing our own history, I knew I had to break my own superstition to get past the Prelim hoodoo. Three hours before the GWS game I shaved and then went and got a haircut.

No superstitions here !!!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
30-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Lucky socks do your thing

1eyedog
30-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Actually making it to the game seems to help!

Domain Stadium - present
MCG - present
Spotless - present
MCG - will be present.

These Bulldogs have been amazing, they are their own luck charm.

p.s I love getting Ticketek emails!

LostDoggy
30-09-2016, 05:51 PM
Robo-Dog Trunks on Tomorrow.
The Package is delivering.:o

Eastdog
30-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Im sitting in Q54 for the Grand Final.

LostDoggy
30-09-2016, 06:54 PM
I couldn't do it. After listening to Bonti talking about writing our own history, I knew I had to break my own superstition to get past the Prelim hoodoo. Three hours before the GWS game I shaved and then went and got a haircut.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

westdog54
01-10-2016, 11:33 AM

I love it.

No more curses. No more footy gods.

Our time is now.

LostDoggy
02-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Face is still untouched!
Itchy as hell but a small price to pay to see premiership glory!

Today it's coming OFF!!!!
No more stupid superstitous rubbish.

EasternWest
02-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Today it's coming OFF!!!!
No more stupid superstitous rubbish.

Awesome.

angelopetraglia
02-10-2016, 09:04 PM
A question regarding what I'm calling Premiership Scarves and Caps (i.e. the gear we wore to the Grand Final). Retire to the pool room or forever accompany us to Bulldogs games for the rest of our living days as good luck charms?