PDA

View Full Version : Picking through Geelong's List

bulldogtragic
23-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Their first natural pick is 36 this year. Including PP, FA compo, FS & Academynpicks their first pick is likely to be around 45 or a touch worse. They bet the house and haven't got the flag. I can't see any way they can't off load a talented player or two to get back into the draft, even more so considering their ago profile. Anyone we should be discussing?

Sedat
23-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Motlop looks like he's already left the club

FrediKanoute
23-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Dangerfield......surely in 12 months time he will figure that he made the wrong choice. Smashed tonight, 37 points flattered the Cats

Ozza
23-09-2016, 11:35 PM
They went from 10th last year to 3rd this year.

Probably a harsh, or early, assessment on them.

Remi Moses
23-09-2016, 11:38 PM
They went from 10th last year to 3rd this year.

Probably a harsh, or early, assessment on them.

They've loaded up to win a flag though, and not sure they have the depth in the middle after danger and Selwood

Ozza
23-09-2016, 11:41 PM
They've loaded up to win a flag though, and not sure they have the depth in the middle after danger and Selwood

Yes - but I think it's harsh to give them a real belting over losing a prelim like they had been utter failures. We know as much as anyone that prelim's are hard to win.

jeemak
23-09-2016, 11:57 PM
Yes - but I think it's harsh to give them a real belting over losing a prelim like they had been utter failures. We know as much as anyone that prelim's are hard to win.

But at the same time we've really kicked the shite out of Norf for doing the same thing over the past couple of years, only to see them fall into a heap this year after a good start with an ageing list.

Geelong has thrown everything at trying to maximise the careers of Lonergan, Enright, Bartel, Selwood, Taylor and Mackie this year and it's left them extremely short in a preliminary final, much like we were left short after 2010. Getting Danger for them alongside Henderson was supposed to really top things off, but ultimately, they're suffering from the same thing we did when we gained Hall......we were old and not good enough, and we should have gone to the well earlier.

Geelong are cooked for half a decade, minimum.

FrediKanoute
24-09-2016, 12:44 AM
But at the same time we've really kicked the shite out of Norf for doing the same thing over the past couple of years, only to see them fall into a heap this year after a good start with an ageing list.

Geelong has thrown everything at trying to maximise the careers of Lonergan, Enright, Bartel, Selwood, Taylor and Mackie this year and it's left them extremely short in a preliminary final, much like we were left short after 2010. Getting Danger for them alongside Henderson was supposed to really top things off, but ultimately, they're suffering from the same thing we did when we gained Hall......we were old and not good enough, and we should have gone to the well earlier.

Geelong are cooked for half a decade, minimum.

I agree. The will probably make the 8 next year and be competitive, but the drop off will really start. Lack of high draft picks this year and last year means they have deferred the rebuild.

Greystache
24-09-2016, 01:23 AM
They remind me of Norf with the way they've bet the house on their ageing veterans to get the job done. Think they'll fall well short and then fall off a cliff.

It's almost as if the two club's have twin coaches.

anfo27
24-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Don't mind Murdoch. I thought Duncan was a good player but has been hugely disappointing this year. Getting Dangerfield has seen some of their mids go backwards.

boydogs
25-09-2016, 01:27 AM
Dangerfield has really elevated them, they can build a side around him