PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee: Grand Final 2016

bulldogtragic
24-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Suckling in?

Roughy ok?

G-Mo77
24-09-2016, 09:48 PM
Doubt Campbell will play tomorrow, if he does you'd think it would be sparingly.

Hopefully Roughie gets up. He deserves to play.

GVGjr
24-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Doubt Campbell will play tomorrow, if he does you'd think it would be sparingly.

Hopefully Roughie gets up. He deserves to play.

They need to pull 2 players, I'd suggest, Campbell and Webb and I think Jong needs to play.

Would Suckling be close to playing in the GF?

Pickenitup
24-09-2016, 09:57 PM
Spoke to suckers today said he Will be right to play in grand final

KT31
24-09-2016, 09:58 PM
They need to pull 2 players, I'd suggest, Campbell and Webb and I think Jong needs to play.

Would Suckling be close to playing in the GF?

Reported he would be alright next week, but if had played today no.

Bulldog Joe
24-09-2016, 10:54 PM
Really tough decisions.

Has to be serious doubt on Roughy. The extent of his eye injury problem won't be known for a few days.

We could keep Campbell out of Footscray and he could miss 2 premierships if Roughy comes up.

If we are confident Suckling will be good for next week, there would be no need to keep anyone else back.

The Underdog
24-09-2016, 11:01 PM
Who comes out for Suckling?
Roberts? Cordy?

EasternWest
24-09-2016, 11:05 PM
Who comes out for Suckling?
Roberts? Cordy?

Probably has to be Roberts I reckon. Harsh because I thought he was pretty good tonight. But Suckling plays. It's what we signed him for.

Stefcep
24-09-2016, 11:48 PM
whatever the ins and outs please please do something about converting.

MrMahatma
25-09-2016, 12:21 AM
I think Suckling for Roberts. Harsh but we don't need the extra tall this week. He was great tonight and if we win should get a medal.

Campbell for Roughie if injured. Otherwise no change.

bulldogtragic
25-09-2016, 06:07 PM
Suckling is probably an automatic selection. Jong & Campbell putting their hands up too today. Making it hard for the MC.

Ghost Dog
25-09-2016, 06:23 PM
Well, this IS a rather special match committee thread. How the heck can they heal a collarbone break so fast?

Ghost Dog
25-09-2016, 06:25 PM
I think Suckling for Roberts. Harsh but we don't need the extra tall this week. He was great tonight and if we win should get a medal.

Campbell for Roughie if injured. Otherwise no change.

It would be sad. Fletch has been bailing water out of ship with holes appearing at different stages. To finally get to a final and then be dropped would be heart breaking.

Bullies
25-09-2016, 08:19 PM
i think Jong has to play.

Roberts the unlucky one. More sold on Jong than Suckling.

kruder
25-09-2016, 08:43 PM
Interesting match selection indeed.

I'm not sure how we bring him in but Jong's speed and marking would be a weapon at the G.

LostDoggy
25-09-2016, 09:46 PM
I know he's played every game, but surely Biggs is the out for Suckling. Has had 3 ordinary finals in a row, culminating in a 0 tackle, 42% disposal efficiency effort on the weekend. His lack of contested game could well be exploited in the GF, especially if Suckling also comes in.

The Adelaide Connection
25-09-2016, 10:06 PM
Spare a thought for Fletch or anyone else who misses the GF but also didn't get to play in the VFL GF. Would be a bit of a double blow.

Sedat
25-09-2016, 10:19 PM
I know he's played every game, but surely Biggs is the out for Suckling. Has had 3 ordinary finals in a row, culminating in a 0 tackle, 42% disposal efficiency effort on the weekend. His lack of contested game could well be exploited in the GF, especially if Suckling also comes in.
Biggs is line-ball but I think his versatility down back will see him scrape in. Horses for courses would suggest Roberts makes way for Suckers - we needed the extra KPD against the 3 GWS talls but not against the Swans. If anything their small forwards have been more dangerous inside 50 the last 2 weeks, with Franklin roaming around the ground more.

McLean would be incredibly stiff to miss out to Jong - both have strong claims to be in the side.

1eyedog
25-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Who is Cordy's defensive match up this week?

Sedat
25-09-2016, 10:24 PM
Who is Cordy's defensive match up this week?
Probably Rampe. Good point though, they don't have the plethora of rebounding defenders they once did.

1eyedog
25-09-2016, 10:26 PM
I was thinking Cordy out for Jong which would be incredibly harsh. I think Rampe has to go to Jake and will go where he goes.

1eyedog
25-09-2016, 10:31 PM
Sydney are so stuffed. They're going to get pumped.

bornadog
25-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Thoughts only at this stage:

* Suckling must come in if fit.

* No Jong for me, not needed.

Who to drop I m not sure, but will think about it.

bulldogtragic
25-09-2016, 10:37 PM
We've only made two changes since the finals started. Both because of injuries.

McLean for Jong
Roberts for Suckling

If Jong and Suckling are fit. Do they come back in as they were considered best 22 only 3 weeks ago?

bulldogtragic
25-09-2016, 11:02 PM
Craig Hutchison said he spoke to Roughy last night and Roughy said he had 0% vision in his right eye.

G-Mo77
25-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Craig Hutchison said he spoke to Roughy last night and Roughy said he had 0% vision in his right eye.

I was surprised Campbell played the entire game today considering what happened to Roughy. Campbell comes in for him if he's out.

KT31
25-09-2016, 11:44 PM
Jongs turn overs worry me, Suckling was brought to the club for his finals experience so cant see him missing unless still injured.

angelopetraglia
26-09-2016, 01:43 AM
Can't see Toby not playing. He has been enormous in both finals with 20+ touches and stood tall at pivotal moments in both finals.

If it's wet (forecasting rain for nearly all week) could Jong come in for Cordy?

Suckling for Roberts make sense if they they want to go smaller seeing Sydney is not as tall as GWS up forward. However Tippett does spend some time down there and could stretch us.

Some really tough decions to make.

Mantis
26-09-2016, 09:23 AM
We have to pick our team most suited to winning this week, so I'm going:

In- Jong, Suckling
Out - Cordy, Roberts

Shit job having to tell the unfortunate ones.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2016, 09:27 AM
We have to pick our team most suited to winning this week, so I'm going:

In- Jong, Suckling
Out - Cordy, Roberts

Shit job having to tell the unfortunate ones.

Would be a horrible conversation. I feel for the players who got us there, and had to make way. Talk about highest of highs and lowest of lows in the space of a few days.

bornadog
26-09-2016, 09:39 AM
Would be a horrible conversation. I feel for the players who got us there, and had to make way. Talk about highest of highs and lowest of lows in the space of a few days.

Watching the replay last night, I was telling my wife Cordy has only played 10 games, and she said amazing 3 of those have been finals. He may be the one making way for Suckling.

bornadog
26-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Jongs turn overs worry me, Suckling was brought to the club for his finals experience so cant see him missing unless still injured.

Yeah, I am not keen on Jong either.

LostDoggy
26-09-2016, 09:52 AM
I would hate to see Cordy get dropped. With Aliir out or proppy, their defence is really stretched for height and Cordys presence probably means Rampe has to go to him (with Grundy required on Boyd), allowing Stringer and Dicko better opportunity. Big men with a thirst for the the contest are very valuable in big finals, even if he is still very green.

Cordy has the added benefit of being available for the defensive mix should Buddy and Tippett start wreacking havoc. Dropping both he and Roberts surely won't happen.

Agree with thoughts on McLean. Did the tough things really well on the weekend, his best game for us under the circumstances. Given his x-factor and ability to get under the opposition skin, he's a 100% lock for mine.

I reckon it's Suckling (probable) and Jong (possible) as Ins, and Roberts and Biggs as possible outs. If Roughy is out then Campbell must come in.

Mantis
26-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I am not keen on Jong either.

His hardness in and around the contest could be vital against Sydney.. They bat deep through the middle and we need to be able to match them.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2016, 10:01 AM
I would hate to see Cordy get dropped. With Aliir out or proppy, their defence is really stretched for height and Cordys presence probably means Rampe has to go to him (with Grundy required on Boyd), allowing Stringer and Dicko better opportunity. Big men with a thirst for the the contest are very valuable in big finals, even if he is still very green.

Cordy has the added benefit of being available for the defensive mix should Buddy and Tippett start wreacking havoc. Dropping both he and Roberts surely won't happen.

Agree with thoughts on McLean. Did the tough things really well on the weekend, his best game for us under the circumstances. Given his x-factor and ability to get under the opposition skin, he's a 100% lock for mine.

I reckon it's Suckling (probable) and Jong (possible) as Ins, and Roberts and Biggs as possible outs. If Roughy is out then Campbell must come in.

I think Biggs will elevate his game against his old team. The more I think, I think last out and first in; Suckling for Roberts. Roughead plays if fit and can see, if not then Campbell plays. Jong gets mentioned because of his game yesterday, but I'm struggling to find an omission as Cordy has kicked numerous goals this final series and nullified McGovern, Gibson & attempted to kill Callan Ward with his physicality and attack on the footy. Plus he can swing back if needed.

So:

In: Suckling (*Campbell)
Out: Roberts (* Roughead)
Possible: Jong

Bulldog Joe
26-09-2016, 10:13 AM
Incredibly difficult decisions for the match committee and fitness needs to be an important consideration.

I would expect the possible ins would be Suckling, Jong and Campbell, so that makes them the emergencies for me at this point.

Roughy may not come up and his long term vision cannot be risked if the eye injury is not right.

Suggestions of Cordy out seem misplaced to me as he has been a sterling performer. Would have been nice if he had held that chest mark, but can't see how we would have got through without him. He is the most flexible tall/semi tall in the team.

It would be extremely harsh to drop Roberts, who was fantastic aqainst GWS, despite a cheap shot from Rhys Palmer.

The under performing players so far are actually Biggs and Stringer.

I am concerned that Biggs may have found his ceiling in the pressure of finals. Perhaps Suckling could take his spot, although I would personally consider Bailey Williams who really looks a player. I think he is better in the contest than Suckling and is a good user of the ball.

Stringer is struggling but he has contributed and I would certainly not consider leaving him out. 5 minutes of Jakey's best can win the game.

The Pie Man
26-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Here's a thread I thought I'd never see...

Suckling for Roberts. Really feel for Fletch, he was very very good in Sydney.
Sounds like Roughy will come up...should be feeling pretty fresh come game time.
Cordy stays - offers us flexibility, was important on the weekend.

Stefcep
26-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Here's a thread I thought I'd never see...

Suckling for Roberts. Really feel for Fletch, he was very very good in Sydney.
Sounds like Roughy will come up...should be feeling pretty fresh come game time.
Cordy stays - offers us flexibility, was important on the weekend.

Don't feel the Cordy love, sorry.

Has made critical errors last two games. That chest mark could have cost a GF. Had an absolute horror the previous game with bad decision making and kicking. These are not isolated patterns either.

soupman
26-09-2016, 11:36 AM

First player to play the Granny with an eye patch?

Campbell obviously takes his spot if the eye doesn't get up.

Biggs has been good defensively this finals series, we haven't been carved up by any small forwards. Roberts was really good, but I'm nt sure we need him against Sydney and will back in our team defence. So he i the likely omission.

Cordy has played his role really well, with the added bonus of multiple goals, which no one would have been expecting. He stays.

Stefcep
26-09-2016, 11:44 AM
]First player to play the Granny with an eye patch?[/B]

Campbell obviously takes his spot if the eye doesn't get up.

Biggs has been good defensively this finals series, we haven't been carved up by any small forwards. Roberts was really good, but I'm nt sure we need him against Sydney and will back in our team defence. So he i the likely omission.

Cordy has played his role really well, with the added bonus of multiple goals, which no one would have been expecting. He stays.

That's actually a very difficult thing to do. It plays havoc with depth judgement, reaction times, eye hand co-ordination, peripheral vision. People adapt, but not in a few hours or days/

MrMahatma
26-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Suckling in for Roberts. I don't see the match up for Fletch. Harsh but the team needs to play to win.
Hopefully Roughie gets up. He's so important.
I'd keep the rest unchanged. Would consider Jong cause we need blokes who are hard at it and when he has played well he's been pretty good. The gap between good and bad is pretty wide though.
Cordy has been OK, made some howler mistakes but also been flexible and gets himself to dangerous spots.

My major concern is us missing set shot opportunities. Skill execution under pressure was really poor in front of goal the last 2 weeks. (I wish Dicko kicked that one on the siren this week for his own confidence!). Stringer, Clay, Dunkley... even Bont missed very get-able goals this week. For that, Suckling has to come in due to experience, and hopefully we get a bit of luck in the first 10 mins and a few float through and build the team's collective confidence.

Mofra
26-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Roberts played his best game for the club last weekend which makes it tougher - and he allows Morris to play mid/small.

It does seem to be a lineball conversation between Roberts / Suckling. Can't see us risking Jong's collarbone in the final, mostly because of Mclean's form.
Hard to see who else he replaces as most other guys are locks - the only similar guy whose position was iffy pre-finals series was just BOG in a prelim.

Ozza
26-09-2016, 01:07 PM
The mail is that Roughead will definitely be right to play.

Fletcher was fantastic on the weekend, but I think Suckling will come in for him.

No other changes unless someone doesn't come up well enough. Jongy fantastic yesterday, but I wouldn't personally have him in the frame.

McLean was great. Biggs great too.

BornInDroopSt'54
26-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Roberts is a proven finals performer but may miss for Sucking. Jong is a proven finals performer and may come in. McLean's performance says he stays.
I had an eye injury from squash like Roughead's. I was put in the Eye and Ear hospital for a week, was not allowed to move for fear of losing the sight. It took a few days to see out of the injured eye. Roughead's bleeding in in the eye must not be that bad. Depth perception is the casualty when one eye is injured.
I think Suckling for Roberts will be only change.

bornadog
26-09-2016, 01:27 PM
McLean was great. Biggs great too.

Yes agreed, McLean was very good and I thought Biggs was good as well, other than one turnover resulting in a goal.

Axe Man
26-09-2016, 01:51 PM
Roberts is a proven finals performer but may miss for Sucking. Jong is a proven finals performer and may come in. McLean's performance says he stays.
I had an eye injury from squash like Roughead's. I was put in the Eye and Ear hospital for a week, was not allowed to move for fear of losing the sight. It took a few days to see out of the injured eye. Roughead's bleeding in in the eye must not be that bad. Depth perception is the casualty when one eye is injured.
I think Suckling for Roberts will be only change.

Not sure 1 poor final and 1 good final make Roberts a proven finals performer.

My sister copped an eye injury from a paintball - they tell you to never take off your goggles for a reason kids! Has permanently affected her peripheral vision, which would be a disaster for a footy player. Sounds like Roughy's isn't as serious as that, here's hoping for the best.

Ozza
26-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Not sure 1 poor final and 1 good final make Roberts a proven finals performer.

My sister copped an eye injury from a paintball - they tell you to never take off your goggles for a reason kids! Has permanently affected her peripheral vision, which would be a disaster for a footy player. Sounds like Roughy's isn't as serious as that, here's hoping for the best.

Think describing his Adelaide final as 'poor' is extremely harsh. Was about 15 games into his career playing on one of the best key forwards in the game. Tex had to do special things to get the rewards, Fletch didn't give him easy kicks.

kruder
26-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Anyone think its possible Bevo won't replace Roughead with a ruckman if he doesn't get up? I have this feeling...

Axe Man
26-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Think describing his Adelaide final as 'poor' is extremely harsh. Was about 15 games into his career playing on one of the best key forwards in the game. Tex had to do special things to get the rewards, Fletch didn't give him easy kicks.

Perhaps I am being harsh but it's hard get the key moments where he was beaten out of my head. I still maintain my point - not a proven finals performer by any stretch - although it's probably difficult to describe many of our players as proven finals performers as most haven't played enough finals yet.

Rocco Jones
26-09-2016, 02:27 PM
Such a tough one.

If Suckling is right, he has to play. That means either Biggs or Roberts is out. We are a team that runs him on emotion and dropping Biggs would be massive (really trying to avoid a pun). Roberts was really good Sat night but no team suits him more in set up than GWS. So it's Roberts for me.

I want Jong in as I think we are entering a street fight and think his default is valuable. Dropping Biggs and/or Roberts means stuffing with our rotations/structure, a risk I wouldn't' want to take. Zaine has been clearly the 22nd best player picked each week for awhile but his whole > sum of his parts to the team. We need a taller target at times with Toyd rucking and he can also go down back. He even filled in the ruck Sat night. Just fills holes. For mine it has to be McLean. Really, really harsh.

Campbell for Roughy if he isn't right, that's easy.

Jeanette54
26-09-2016, 02:28 PM
I have watched the game three times now.

Its amazing what you don't see while you are watching, screaming and the game is in the balance.

Here I am talking about the one percenters, and the guys consistently running to space (even when they are not used). The tap ons, smothers, shepherding etc etc.

I don't see how anybody could be dropped on performance. Jake Stringer was instrumental in a fair number of these acts. It was him who got a finger on a GWS goal which was overturned, and laid the tackle which prevented another. Caleb Daniel had a relatively quiet night, but could not be dropped on the strength of that, surely. Fletcher Roberts would have to be the unluckiest man alive if dropped. Missing a Premiership on Sunday for the PF, and then missing next weeks GF would not sit well with anybody. I don't necessarily think you could mount a case for Suckling being a better defender either. Better kick, yes, but not a significantly better defender, particularly against the talls.

If Roughie doesn't come up, then Big Will might be an option too. I am not sure that TC is an automatic choice.

always right
26-09-2016, 02:31 PM
I'm calling it.......NO CHANGE.

1eyedog
26-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Suckers for Roberts will be the only change. There's no way Suckers isn't playing.

Stefcep
26-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Suckling in for Roberts. I don't see the match up for Fletch. Harsh but the team needs to play to win.
Hopefully Roughie gets up. He's so important.
I'd keep the rest unchanged. Would consider Jong cause we need blokes who are hard at it and when he has played well he's been pretty good. The gap between good and bad is pretty wide though.
Cordy has been OK, made some howler mistakes but also been flexible and gets himself to dangerous spots.

My major concern is us missing set shot opportunities. Skill execution under pressure was really poor in front of goal the last 2 weeks. (I wish Dicko kicked that one on the siren this week for his own confidence!). Stringer, Clay, Dunkley... even Bont missed very get-able goals this week. For that, Suckling has to come in due to experience, and hopefully we get a bit of luck in the first 10 mins and a few float through and build the team's collective confidence.

Agree with this. We could have had 4 goals to nothing in the first 10-15 minutes against GWS.

Sydney were very efficient with scoring in their prelim and iced the game in the first quarter. To win I think we'll have to kick more than 100 points, because they won't miss.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Such a tough one.

If Suckling is right, he has to play. That means either Biggs or Roberts is out. We are a team that runs him on emotion and dropping Biggs would be massive (really trying to avoid a pun). Roberts was really good Sat night but no team suits him more in set up than GWS. So it's Roberts for me.

I want Jong in as I think we are entering a street fight and think his default is valuable. Dropping Biggs and/or Roberts means stuffing with our rotations/structure, a risk I wouldn't' want to take. Zaine has been clearly the 22nd best player picked each week for awhile but his whole > sum of his parts to the team. We need a taller target at times with Toyd rucking and he can also go down back. He even filled in the ruck Sat night. Just fills holes. For mine it has to be McLean. Really, really harsh.

Campbell for Roughy if he isn't right, that's easy.

Roberts was very good against GWS and was better than Hamling on the day. We need them both to combat Buddy and Tippett. Still not convinced about Suckling being in the lineup.

Bullies
26-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Suckers for Roberts will be the only change. There's no way Suckers isn't playing.need Suckling with his boot on the G. I rate Jong and he has to play against there midfield. Crash and bash them. Maybe if Roughy doesn't play Boyd will ruck.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Ch7 reporting Roughy looking better, but apparently these injuries can worsen/reoccur on the 5th day. So needs to be cherry ripe come late Thursday.

EasternWest
26-09-2016, 08:02 PM
Ch7 reporting Roughy looking better, but apparently these injuries can worsen/reoccur on the 5th day. So needs to be cherry ripe come late Thursday.

Massive blow if Roughy is out. Has been huge for us this year.

Ghost Dog
26-09-2016, 08:42 PM
Jordan has been magnificent. One of a few players who has surprised this season. 'Too injury prone' is the line usually trotted out for JR, but has been an absolute warrior for us this season.

Such a tough call with selections. I feel in such a young team we need the experience. Suckling for Roberts.
Biggs is too important as a linking player to leave out.

boydogs
27-09-2016, 09:07 PM
There are several tight calls, I think we err on the side of stability. No change

The Bulldogs Bite
27-09-2016, 10:27 PM
For me it's only Roberts out / Suckling or Jong in.

Why Suckling:
- His left foot is important on big grounds as we saw in the first two finals - could be important if it is very congested
- Takes some run/carry pressure off JJ, Biggs and Boyd
- Grand Final experience; we got him for exactly this moment

Why Jong:
- Sydney's mids are their greatest strength so we may need to bolster this area of the ground
- Jong is a competitive beast and can push forward
- A heavy congested game suits Jong more than Suckling
- Proven in big games

Not too sure who I would side with just yet. Originally I was convinced on Suckling, but I am starting to lean towards Jong.

SlimPickens
27-09-2016, 10:29 PM
There are several tight calls, I think we err on the side of stability. No change

Agree with this. The team played with such great cohesion last week, it should stay the same.

The Pie Man
28-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Do we worry about Tippett playing forward more if Roberts doesn't play?

G-Mo77
28-09-2016, 01:34 PM
Do we worry about Tippett playing forward more if Roberts doesn't play?

That is my concern.

bornadog
28-09-2016, 01:51 PM
For me it's only Roberts out / Suckling or Jong in.

Why Suckling:
- His left foot is important on big grounds as we saw in the first two finals - could be important if it is very congested
- Takes some run/carry pressure off JJ, Biggs and Boyd
- Grand Final experience; we got him for exactly this moment

Why Jong:
- Sydney's mids are their greatest strength so we may need to bolster this area of the ground
- Jong is a competitive beast and can push forward
- A heavy congested game suits Jong more than Suckling
- Proven in big games

Not too sure who I would side with just yet. Originally I was convinced on Suckling, but I am starting to lean towards Jong.

Have you changed your mind about Jong? I still worry about him and his decision making.

Axe Man
28-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Suckling fit for GF, but no guarantee to be picked (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-28/matt-suckling-to-be-fit-for-grand-final-but-no-guarantee-to-be-picked)

MATTHEW Suckling is expected to be available for the Grand Final, but is no guarantee to play against the Sydney Swans even if he proves his fitness.

Western Bulldogs football chief Chris Grant confirmed on Wednesday Suckling missed the preliminary final win over Greater Western Sydney through a mix of Achilles tendon soreness and the lack of a suitable match-up on the Giants' forward line.

Despite pictures that showed Suckling in apparent discomfort at training on Tuesday, Grant said the defender had emerged from the session "fine" and had "trained well".

Grant said he had no concerns about Suckling's fitness ahead of the premiership decider but suggested his hopes of a recall would hinge on the structure of the Swans' forward line.

"Matt has been a pretty important player for us, but certainly the GWS set-up with three talls in there gave us an opportunity of doing something differently," Grant said.

"We may have to do something different this week just because of the nature of Sydney's team.

"It's a nice problem to have. We've got a large number of players you could choose from to choose your best 22."

Grant also suggested ruckman Jordan Roughead would recover from the eye injury he suffered against the Giants in time for the Grand Final.

Asked what percentage he would put on Roughead's chances of proving his fitness, Grant said simply: "He's good, he's going well."

Grant said midfielder Lin Jong was also in the mix for Grand Final selection after he made a successful comeback from a broken collarbone in last Sunday's VFL Grand Final.

But the Bulldogs footy boss did not give much away when asked whether the Swans' enviable midfield depth increased Jong's chances of selection.

"It's part of the question but really we want to structure up the way we want to structure up, not necessarily just around Sydney," Grant said.

Mantis
28-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Have you changed your mind about Jong? I still worry about him and his decision making.

Is his decision making/ skill execution any worse than any other members of the team?

The hardness he brings to the contest (tackling & holding the ball up) is what makes him an important member of the team, especially against a team with a strong and big-bodied midfield.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-09-2016, 02:06 PM
I think that our chances on the weekend hinge on our ability to own the circumstances under which the ball gets out of a contested scramble, and also how effectively our group can curtail the Swans rebounding the ball from our forward 50.
To this end, having another contested hard nut who can go through the midfield and go forward is invaluable. If Jong's collarbone is solid...then for me he comes in for the very unlucky Roberts.. and Suckling misses out.
What a super tough call to make.

bornadog
28-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Is his decision making/ skill execution any worse than any other members of the team?

I think it is - many hospital handpasses.

The hardness he brings to the contest (tackling & holding the ball up) is what makes him an important member of the team, especially against a team with a strong and big-bodied midfield.

Can't doubt his hardness and tackling etc. His other issue is as a mid he should be finding more of the ball but only averages 16 disposals a game. Goes missing in large periods of the game.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 02:23 PM
Ok, so I'm going to assume that the three are in mix as said:

Roughy plays if fit. Campbell has been very good, but bringing him into a GF to reunite Camhead is unlikely. So it's down to inclusions from Suckling & Jong. Then the two spots are likely McLean, Dunkley & Roberts.

I'm not sold that Roberts has to play for match up reasons. Hamling & Morris play on their two genuine talls, with Wood floating around & Cordy able to be swung back too. So we have a fair bit of flexibility to replace Roberts if we want. Our strength has been run and carry, and Suckling helps this strength and gives us probably the best kick out from behind option, especially if we need some long kicks late. That's assuming his kicking is good on the day. He's got the experience so I think he plays. Gary Rohan has done precisely nothing in Grand Finals, maybe send Suckling to him and try to work through that match up.

So Roberts for Suckling for mine.

Then it's a matter of possibly Jong for either McLean or Dunkley. McLean's smarts are better than Jong. Dunkley's all round game is better than Jong's. But Jong has a big frame and can hold himself against say Zak Jones probably better. Dunkley misses far too many easy shots, usually set shots, for my liking and his howler last week has me nervous. Jong is a pretty decent shot, especially on the run. If Suckling is carrying something but passed fit, can we afford to take in a second player with a question mark. You can bet you last dollar that Sydney will target that collarbone from the very beginning. But Jong is a good finals player it seems. So my question seems to be can Jong do what McLean or Dunkley does better?

In the first final Suckling & Jong were considered best 22, but is that still the case? Has McLean done enough since getting into the team to keep either out? Is Jong staying and we need to have him this experience, or if he's gone and Dunkley offers as much and needs the experience, then Dunkley gets it. So I have a few lingering questions on Jong.

So after all this waffle, I think Roberts for Suckling. But happy to envisage scenarios where Jong might make us better, against McLean & Dunkley. But right now, one change.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-09-2016, 02:24 PM
I think it is - many hospital handpasses.

Can't doubt his hardness and tackling etc. His other issue is as a mid he should be finding more of the ball but only averages 16 disposals a game. Goes missing in large periods of the game.

His decision making/disposal will always concern me, but if there's any type of game that suits him, it's this one. He isn't a huge possession winner, but he's a big battering ram that can create space for other mids around the contest. He's also somebody who can do a defensive type of role on an opposition mid and drift forward - has good hands.

The more I think about it, Jong is a huge chance to play.

bornadog
28-09-2016, 02:26 PM
His decision making/disposal will always concern me, but if there's any type of game that suits him, it's this one. He isn't a huge possession winner, but he's a big battering ram that can create space for other mids around the contest. He's also somebody who can do a defensive type of role on an opposition mid and drift forward - has good hands.

The more I think about it, Jong is a huge chance to play.

Who does he replace?

The Pie Man
28-09-2016, 02:27 PM
Just got a text saying 'heard Suckling's been ruled out'

Can't find this anywhere online, and that came from no source of credibility, but it wouldn't surprise me all the same.

Rocket Science
28-09-2016, 02:52 PM
Assuming he's fit to play can you really envisage a scenario where Suckling isn't selected? Surely this is precisely the stage we recruited him for.

We already go alright for contested ball types, it's been the bedrock of each of our finals wins. Would proffer we're better served by having another (seasoned) line-breaker on the expanses of the G. Which hapless soul makes way however...uff.

Hoping it ain't Roughy. If he gets up though, cue a few nervous sleeps for Dunkley, Roberts and Cordy.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-09-2016, 02:58 PM
Assuming he's fit to play can you really envisage a scenario where Suckling isn't selected? Surely this is precisely the stage we recruited him for.

We already go alright for contested ball types, it's been the bedrock of each of our finals wins. Would proffer we're better served by having another (seasoned) line-breaker on the expanses of the G. Which hapless soul makes way however...uff.

Hoping it ain't Roughy. If he gets up though, cue a few nervous sleeps for Dunkley, Roberts and Cordy.

No way Dunkley gets dropped. Will come down to matchups but i'd say Roberts and Hamling the most likely.

bornadog
28-09-2016, 02:58 PM

I thought Suckling was good against the Hawks, his long kicking really got us moving from one end to another.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Who does he replace?

The last spot should come down to Roberts, Suckling and Jong.

Roughy replaced by Campbell if not fit. Cordy is a flexible roleplayer and helps our set-up.

If Suckling's achillies is just not up to par I think Jong gets the nod.

Rocket Science
28-09-2016, 03:43 PM
I thought Suckling was good against the Hawks, his long kicking really got us moving from one end to another.

Agreed, and it's a quality few others can mimic.

I like to think of Suckling and JJ as a couple of surgeons who'll slice through all the blood and guts that will be the inside battle versus Sydney. We'll be well served if either gets off the chain at some point.

Rocket Science
28-09-2016, 04:39 PM
FWIW...Aliir Aliir reportedly a definite out for them.

bornadog
28-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Will be interesting if there are any changes

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 04:42 PM
Damn, I wanted them carrying blokes. Hopefully they rush McVeigh & Mills back to their detriment.

Please bring in Talia. Oh please, please, please.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Aliir Aliir is a big out for them IMO. He reads the play very, very well and he provides both the ability to rebound from D50 and flexibility (can play tall or small).

Good for us.

The Underdog
28-09-2016, 04:50 PM
FWIW...Aliir Aliir reportedly a definite out for them.

That's a great out for us.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 04:52 PM
I don't think they need another genuine tall, so probably Mills for him is my guess.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-09-2016, 04:59 PM
I don't think they need another genuine tall, so probably Mills for him is my guess.

Sounds as though they'll take the risk which is huge given he did a hamstring only 3 weeks ago. Here's hoping it pings if he plays.

Surely McVeigh is in doubt too.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-09-2016, 05:01 PM
Sounds like McVeigh and Mills to be seriously considered as both got through what was required of them.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 05:02 PM
Sounds as though they'll take the risk which is huge given he did a hamstring only 3 weeks ago. Here's hoping it pings if he plays.

Surely McVeigh is in doubt too.

Whoever gets Mills will have one task, make him sprint and move as much as possible. 3 weeks for a fairly badly looking hammy seems a risk I wouldn't like to see with one of ours. Macrae wasn't quite a 100% against WCE and he had 5 or 6 weeks.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-09-2016, 05:04 PM
Could the Swans be playing mind games with Aliir?

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 05:06 PM
Could the Swans be playing mind games with Aliir?

If they are, they're playing it with themselves. I've not known Bevo to care one iota what public statements about opposition MC selections might be. He picks his ideal team and backs them in.

1eyedog
28-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Whoever gets Mills will have one task, make him sprint and move as much as possible. 3 weeks for a fairly badly looking hammy seems a risk I wouldn't like to see with one of ours. Macrae wasn't quite a 100% against WCE and he had 5 or 6 weeks.

Mills' is standard strain, Jack had minor tendon damage. They won't take chances on Mills they'll put him through his paces.

AndrewP6
28-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Aliir confirmed out by Tom Harley. Really feel for him, he's a talented young guy. From a selfish perspective it is good for us.

1eyedog
28-09-2016, 05:17 PM
That's a great out for us.

Yep he covers a lot of ground and is a great spoiler / intercept mark. Can also play big and small.

bornadog
28-09-2016, 05:18 PM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/781014695759216640)
A bit of a scare at Dogs involving Dale Morris ... Club adamant he is ok .. I'll have latest 440 @7NewsMelbourne (https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne)

bornadog
28-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL) 35s35 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/781015237378117632)
Morris was put through an extra session, bit of a test, at kennel ... He is in good spirits, Dogs in high places say he is ok

bulldogsthru&thru
28-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/781014695759216640)
A bit of a scare at Dogs involving Dale Morris ... Club adamant he is ok .. I'll have latest 440 @7NewsMelbourne (https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne)

Oh jeez not again. He scared the suitcases out of me right before the GWS game started

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 05:20 PM

Is that to get us watching. Stevo should know better as a fellow tragic than to say something like this.

bulldogsthru&thru
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL) 35s35 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/781015237378117632)
Morris was put through an extra session, bit of a test, at kennel ... He is in good spirits, Dogs in high places say he is ok

Was taking pain killers last week. Must be carrying something. If anyone can overcome pain, its Moz

bornadog
Is that to get us watching. Stevo should know better as a fellow tragic than to say something like this.

1eyedog
28-09-2016, 05:21 PM

Can all the players please just stay home and can the club please bodyguard the freakin front and back doors!?

The Bulldogs Bite
28-09-2016, 05:35 PM
What was actually the issue with Morris?

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Click bait BS for his segment:

Stevo: Morris is 100% to go.
Morris: I had a light session and Myo and physio treatment today. It's my normal routine.

boydogs
28-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Mills' is standard strain, Jack had minor tendon damage. They won't take chances on Mills they'll put him through his paces.

When you first come back from a muscle tear its fine but tires easily. Fitness tests don't measure how long it will hold up for

Axe Man
28-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Was taking pain killers last week. Must be carrying something. If anyone can overcome pain, its Moz

On channel 7 on Sunday he said he takes painkillers every week, he just forgot to take them before he ran out last week.

boydogs
28-09-2016, 05:44 PM
What was actually the issue with Morris?

Had back related hamstring tightness earlier in the year

bornadog
28-09-2016, 05:51 PM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/781023106643193856)
The Dogs say Morris a 100 per cent lock to play ...

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 05:53 PM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/781023106643193856)
The Dogs say Morris a 100 per cent lock to play ...

Stevo says it.
The club says it.
Dale Morris says it.

Stevo almost looked embarrassed by the click bait like BS thrown out by the newsreader. And it was bs. Dale is playing and is fit and roaring to go.

jeemak
29-09-2016, 01:56 AM
I think I would prefer things to remain unchanged from last week and would do so if it wasn't for Papley and McGlynn. Team defence can help in stopping Buddy and Tippett on the high ball, but will result in opportunities being farmed out to the former two.

One way of compensating is by dropping Fletch, and replacing him with Jong in the midfield. That will help with limiting supply to the Sydney forward line.

The other is putting in Suckling which will result in a shuffle to see Boyd and Biggs playing more defensively with Suckling on the release.

I'm going for Jong and midfield dominance. I can't believe I just nominated Jong......

bulldogtragic
29-09-2016, 09:33 AM
My thoughts today for blokes who are on the cusp of playing in a Grand Final and may have a dream turn bad personally today. Roberts, Suckling, Jong, Roughy and anyone else.

The Pie Man
29-09-2016, 11:41 AM
I'm not out there, but have seen Suckling only walking laps with Morris. Unless a test is due later today, you'd think he's out.

Jeanette54
29-09-2016, 11:44 AM
If Roughy doesn't come up, I bet Swan's volunteers to stand opposite Big Will at the opening bounce of a Grand Final would be rather thin on the ground. Wilbur would be off the planet, given the opportunity.

I doubt it will happen, but you never know.

hujsh
29-09-2016, 12:10 PM
If Roughy doesn't come up, I bet Swan's volunteers to stand opposite Big Will at the opening bounce of a Grand Final would be rather thin on the ground. Wilbur would be off the planet, given the opportunity.

It'd be Campbell to come in you'd think

The Pie Man
29-09-2016, 12:14 PM
I'm not out there, but have seen Suckling only walking laps with Morris. Unless a test is due later today, you'd think he's out.

They've both now left the track apparently

1eyedog
29-09-2016, 12:55 PM
They've both now left the track apparently

It will be a private session for Suckers. Open training is like recess at school most days.

hotdog
29-09-2016, 02:32 PM
I do hope we go in unchanged. Not convinced Suckling can give us anything more than the named team last week. If we do make a change I would be leaning towards Jong for Cordy but gee Cordy would be stiff after slotting 2 very important goals last week.

Remi Moses
29-09-2016, 02:36 PM
No change for me

The Bulldogs Bite
29-09-2016, 02:39 PM
Still convinced we need more run, be that through the midfield (Jong) or half back (Suckling), rather than an extra tall defender (Roberts). Especially on the MCG.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2016, 02:43 PM
Hoping for Suckers. Play him on the unaccountable Rohan, keep him quiet as every other grand final, then work through Suckers. If the last quarter is a tight one, a bloke who can hit targets 50m away, kick out 60+ metres, long bomb goals from outside 50 and clear zones and defensive walls with long kicking will be gold. Suckling adds another dimension if he's 100% fit.

choconmientay
29-09-2016, 02:49 PM

He's looking excellent this morning.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtffnhoUsAAitx0.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtffnlHVYAAk_JT.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtfgeZ5UIAABClE.jpg

Cyberdoggie
29-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Hoping for Suckers. Play him on the unaccountable Rohan, keep him quiet as every other grand final, then work through Suckers. If the last quarter is a tight one, a bloke who can hit targets 50m away, kick out 60+ metres, long bomb goals from outside 50 and clear zones and defensive walls with long kicking will be gold. Suckling adds another dimension if he's 100% fit.

Suckling at his best sure, but let's face it, since his Achilles he has been average at best. Looks really slow and immobile, the left foot seems to be the same foot as his injury and it's not as damaging as it could be.
I really don't see any upside to him.

If anything I would say Roberts might make way for Jong as Sydney don't have the 3rd tall like GWS did. I think we have the numbers across the backline already, another mid who has a habit of standing up in big games is who I would bring in.

BOG in two VFL GF's.
Very good Elimination final loss to Adelaide,
Big marking player and often takes them in the forward line on the end of quick breaks.

Could be very handy in a GF.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Suckling at his best sure, but let's face it, since his Achilles he has been average at best. Looks really slow and immobile, the left foot seems to be the same foot as his injury and it's not as damaging as it could be.
I really don't see any upside to him.

If anything I would say Roberts might make way for Jong as Sydney don't have the 3rd tall like GWS did. I think we have the numbers across the backline already, another mid who has a habit of standing up in big games is who I would bring in.

BOG in two VFL GF's.
Very good Elimination final loss to Adelaide,
Big marking player and often takes them in the forward line on the end of quick breaks.

Could be very handy in a GF.

Not long until we find out now.

choconmientay
29-09-2016, 03:13 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ctfl-LjVUAAbbLQ.jpg

bulldogtragic
29-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Morris in boots. Suckers in runners.

Just an observation.

The Pie Man
29-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Suckers also newly shorn (I presume some players obsess with how they'll look in GF photos should they win)

The Pie Man
29-09-2016, 03:22 PM
Great photos too BTW - must've been some atmosphere down there today

Ozza
29-09-2016, 03:38 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread for this - but if anyone reading would like two free tickets to the FOOTY SHOW GF tonight - and can pick them up from Seddon this afternoon - then they are all yours.

choconmientay
29-09-2016, 05:37 PM
Great photos too BTW - must've been some atmosphere down there today
I am guessing it must be more than 10K, closer to 15K?!. Electrify atmosphere. With my short time following the dogs, I have never seen so many supporters at the Whitten Oval.

Rocket Science
29-09-2016, 05:51 PM
Welp, that's that then.

Afraid Wallsy's forthrightly put a line through Suckers' name for selection because you'd have to be "crazy" to consider a bloke who doesn't participate fully in "the main training session" before the big dance.

Footscrazy perhaps.

bornadog
29-09-2016, 05:53 PM
Welp, that's that then.

Afraid Wallsy's forthrightly put a line through Suckers' name for selection because you'd have to be "crazy" to consider a bloke who doesn't participate fully in "the main training session" before the big dance.

Footscrazy perhaps.

Didn't look good just walking and bouncing the ball in his runners. he has been in and out of the team in the second half of the season with the Achilles. They do take a while to heal.

comrade
29-09-2016, 05:56 PM
Suckers pre-Achilles was a good contributor. Post-Achilles he's played some shockers, including what may be the worst game from any individual Bulldog this year (Saints loss). If he's not 100%, he is a huge risk.

1eyedog
29-09-2016, 06:01 PM
I am guessing it must be more than 10K, closer to 15K?!. Electrify atmosphere. With my short time following the dogs, I have never seen so many supporters at the Whitten Oval.

Damn sight more there today than the early 80s.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-09-2016, 07:06 PM
No changes!

bulldogsthru&thru
29-09-2016, 07:06 PM
McVeigh and Mills in for swans

kruder
29-09-2016, 07:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ctfl-LjVUAAbbLQ.jpg

Look like they will be both playing for mine.

Ghost Dog
29-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Suckling as an emergency. Fletch lives....

comrade
29-09-2016, 07:20 PM
Like the Mills and McVeigh ins. I read it as they're worried and would play those 2 at 70%, than their second string players.

HOSE B ROMERO
29-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Hmm wonder if Fletch is kept in as insurance for Moz? I would have been happy whether Fletch or Jongy got the nod.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Like the Mills and McVeigh ins. I read it as they're worried and would play those 2 at 70%, than their second string players.

Yep, I'm happy they're carrying some risk. Although Mills look quite downbeat at the airport, but it's two very different strategies from both clubs. One backing in the prelim winning team and not rushing back any injured folks early, the other team the opposite. I'm happier with our strategy.

kruder
29-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Suckling as an emergency. Fletch lives....

He played well Fletch and it enabled Wood to play his customary floating role. Also I think if there is any issues with Morris during the game Fletch does provide coverage.

Gee selection is hard this time of year I was really keen for Jongy but its so hard to drop anyone.

comrade
29-09-2016, 07:42 PM
He played well Fletch and it enabled Wood to play his customary floating role. Also I think if there is any issues with Morris during the game Fletch does provide coverage.

Gee selection is hard this time of year I was really keen for Jongy but its so hard to drop anyone.

Good point. No surprise that Wood had his best game in a while with 2 key backs in the team.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Gotta hand it to Bevo and our selection panel, they are not to make tough calls, and they seem to back the incumbent player, even over previously established guys who only lost their spot through an injury.
I think they made the harder call to leave the squad unchanged, when it seemed almost certain Roberts would give way either for Suckling or Jong.
However the MC seem to take the line of backing the guys with the most good recent good performance, irrespective of others with prior claim to the position. There is no perfect way, however I think the decision to go with the guys doing the job aligns well with the spirit of belief and spirit Beveridge is instilling within the club.
It's a MASSIVE show of faith to Fletcher Roberts by the MC. Best of luck to the lad and I hope he seizes the chance to play his part in creating and entering history.

bornadog
29-09-2016, 09:20 PM
At the end of the 7 News Stevo said something about there could be a late change? The only one I can think of is Roughie if the eye surgeon doesn't pass him fit.

FrediKanoute
29-09-2016, 09:27 PM
I think good call on the no change. Suckers is stiff, but he has been struggling with the Achilles for a number of games now.

I have memories of Romero doing a shoulder in a final and leaving us one short in the 90's. I couldn't bring Jong in on that basis.

Agree they must have some concerns around Roughie and Mozz, but seriously I can't see Mozz not playing.

angelopetraglia
29-09-2016, 09:35 PM
Right call IMHO. Roberts and Hamling were outstanding last week. The two talls worked. Sydney could still stretch us with Buddy and Tippett. Also it does provide Wood to play his third man up role which will be so important.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Right call IMHO. Roberts and Hamling were outstanding last week. The two talls worked. Sydney could still stretch us with Buddy and Tippett. Also it does provide Wood to play his third man up role which will be so important.

Also allows Morris to blanket Papley or McGlynn in they start to look dangerous.

merantau
29-09-2016, 10:29 PM
I think good call on the no change. Suckers is stiff, but he has been struggling with the Achilles for a number of games now.

I have memories of Romero doing a shoulder in a final and leaving us one short in the 90's. I couldn't bring Jong in on that basis.

Agree they must have some concerns around Roughie and Mozz, but seriously I can't see Mozz not playing.

Agree totally with you. It's a Grand Final. The decision to play Jose was the wrong call.

bulldogtragic
30-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Ch7 reporting Roughies opthamologist has given him the all clear. Certain starter, Roughy just said 100% he's playing.