PDA

View Full Version : EasternWest's "that's awesome" thread.

EasternWest
24-09-2016, 11:18 PM
I said I was going to reply "that's awesome" to everyone that told their emotional stories, but that's quickly going to get out of hand.

So let's gather our emotional stories here and I'll give you a collective "that's awesome".

I'll start: my Mum was a huge Bulldogs fan. Massive. I still remember her coming home after Kolyniuk kicked that goal all those years ago. She died not long after that, and everytime something dramatic happens with our club I think of how much she would have lost her mind over it.

So Mum, I'm thinking of you now. Go Dogs.

LostDoggy
24-09-2016, 11:24 PM
My story is pretty boring. Grew up in regional nsw then moved to qld, have been a fan if the dogs for atleast 25 years. And tonight I couldn't be prouder to be a dog

The Doctor
24-09-2016, 11:24 PM
I can't talk, my wife is so happy for me, I'm so happy for all of us

C'mon Dogs lets finish the job

EasternWest
24-09-2016, 11:25 PM
My story is pretty boring. Grew up in regional nsw then moved to qld, have been a fan if the dogs for atleast 25 years. And tonight I couldn't be prouder to be a dog

Not boring. Awesome.

westdog54
24-09-2016, 11:25 PM
Was sitting at home watching with the wife and kids. 6, 4 and 1.

When we hit the front we were all jumping around the loungeroom.

Then when Dickson marked I did a lap around the house, then grabbed the two older kids and told them to watch the clock run down. We watched. The siren went.

We sang the song. We hugged some more. My wife hugged me knowing how much it means to me.

My four year old exclaimed. "I can't believe they won!" Not realising the enormity of what he'd just said.

Then we sang the song with the boys.

It was a joyful night.

EasternWest
24-09-2016, 11:26 PM
I can't talk, my wife is so happy for me, I'm so happy for all of us

C'mon Dogs lets finish the job

Awesome.

EasternWest
24-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Was sitting at home watching with the wife and kids. 6, 4 and 1.

When we hit the front we were all jumping around the loungeroom.

Then when Dickson marked I did a lap around the house, then grabbed the two older kids and told them to watch the clock run down. We watched. The siren went.

We sang the song. We hugged some more. My wife hugged me knowing how much it means to me.

My four year old exclaimed. "I can't believe they won!" Not realising the enormity of what he'd just said.

Then we sang the song with the boys.

It was a joyful night.

That's just awesome.

Eastdog
24-09-2016, 11:31 PM
Im the only Doggie in my immediately family and proud. My family was very happy for me tonight. My mum is a Demons supporter and can relate to us. My Dad is not into the footy that much but very happy. My brother is a Magpies man and was happy for me. So despite the family not all supporting our club they have been right behind us.

EasternWest
24-09-2016, 11:33 PM
Im the only Doggie in my immediately family and proud. My family was very happy for me tonight. My mum is a Demons supporter and can relate to us. My Dad is into the footy that much but very happy. My brother is a Magpies man and was happy for me. So despite the family not all supporting our club they have been right behind us.

Your family = awesome.

LostDoggy
24-09-2016, 11:36 PM
My dad was born in 1954.

I had family members messaging and calling me to see if he was ok/ to congratulate us.

Eastdog
24-09-2016, 11:37 PM
Your family = awesome.

Cheers :)

Dry Rot
24-09-2016, 11:40 PM
I was at Spotless.

Awesome. Most amazing game I've seen.

EasternWest
24-09-2016, 11:44 PM
My dad was born in 1954.

I had family members messaging and calling me to see if he was ok/ to congratulate us.

I was at Spotless.

Awesome. Most amazing game I've seen.

A pair of awesomes.

MrMahatma
24-09-2016, 11:46 PM
At home. Wife and 2 daughters (4 & 2) all dressed up in doggies shirts and scarves. Little ones were amazing. They went off to bed midway through the last. When we won I was a bawling wreck and they both woke up and were worried about dad. Went into their room and we all nailed the most raw version of "sons of the west" ever.

I bloody love life!!!

EasternWest
24-09-2016, 11:51 PM
At home. Wife and 2 daughters (4 & 2) all dressed up in doggies shirts and scarves. Little ones were amazing. They went off to bed midway through the last. When we won I was a bawling wreck and they both woke up and were worried about dad. Went into their room and we all nailed the most raw version of "sons of the west" ever.

I bloody love life!!!

Full of awesome.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2016, 11:53 PM
At Spotless tonight I hugged more grown men strangers than I've had hot meals. Was in the cheersquad & when the siren went there were tears, high five, group hugs consisting of 4, 5 & 6 strangers screaming. I reckon I high fived over 100 people going onto the ground too. An emotional religious spiritual life moment. Truly a highlight of my life.

Dry Rot
24-09-2016, 11:55 PM
At Spotless tonight I hugged more grown men strangers than I've had hot meals. Was in the cheersquad & when the siren went there were tears, high five, group hugs consisting of 4, 5 & 6 strangers screaming. I reckon I high fived over 100 people going onto the ground too. An emotional religious spiritual life moment. Truly a highlight of my life.

I second all that. Had much the same experience.

Awesome.

EasternWest
25-09-2016, 12:28 AM

Awesome.

AndrewP6
25-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Dad moved to the Footscray area from his home town in the western districts. He played at Parkside FC and walked to work with EJ. He passed away a few months after EJ, also from cancer. He wouldn't have said much, but by God he'd be over the moon.

AndrewP6
25-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Another one, sorry. I was sitting in the area right behind the Smorgon family. Behind us in the bar, GWS flogs were yelling out "Get on the plane, Bulldogs. Go home" when they started getting on top... I turned, after the final siren to the same flogs and yelled at them "Get on the plane, Giants. Start your holidays now! Get out of this hole“... David gave me a high five. Awesome.

BulldogBelle
25-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Last night when the Doggies won, exactly the same emotions overcome me as when my children were born.

Anxiety built up over a period of time, driven from wanting something for so long, having so many disappointments and challenges along the way, so many doubters and negatively at times, then an overwhelming sense of joy when it finally happened - enough to make a grown man cry.

EasternWest
25-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Another one, sorry. I was sitting in the area right behind the Smorgon family. Behind us in the bar, GWS flogs were yelling out "Get on the plane, Bulldogs. Go home" when they started getting on top... I turned, after the final siren to the same flogs and yelled at them "Get on the plane, Giants. Start your holidays now! Get out of this hole“... David gave me a high five. Awesome.

Dad moved to the Footscray area from his home town in the western districts. He played at Parkside FC and walked to work with EJ. He passed away a few months after EJ, also from cancer. He wouldn't have said much, but by God he'd be over the moon.

Last night when the Doggies won, exactly the same emotions overcome me as when my children were born.

Anxiety built up over a period of time, driven from wanting something for so long, having so many disappointments and challenges along the way, so many doubters and negatively at times, then an overwhelming sense of joy when it finally happened - enough to make a grown man cry.

You get an awesome! You get an awesome! You get an awesome! Everyone gets an awesome!

1eyedog
25-09-2016, 02:34 PM

Yep that's pretty much how my evening panned out. The brewery bar was an absolute pisser last night far out hundreds singing the song, booing the few Giants who braved the gauntlet - just amazing. I cried like a baby when the siren went, the tears came straight away and quite naturally. An elderly woman rubbed my back and gave me a big hug and then the boys did the boundary line and high fived. I was on the fence and grabbed Fletch and me and 3 fans gave him the best hug. Hugs, hugs, hugs.

I wish my Nan could have seen that win but I wore her old knitted jumper to the ground proudly.

EasternWest
25-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Yep that's pretty much how my evening panned out. The brewery bar was an absolute pisser last night far out hundreds singing the song, booing the few Giants who braved the gauntlet - just amazing. I cried like a baby when the siren went, the tears came straight away and quite naturally. An elderly woman rubbed my back and gave me a big hug and then the boys did the boundary line and high fived. I was on the fence and grabbed Fletch and me and 3 fans gave him the best hug. Hugs, hugs, hugs.

I wish my Nan could have seen that win but I wore her old knitted jumper to the ground proudly.

Everything about this is awesome. But Nan's knitted jumper is retro awesome.

bornadog
25-09-2016, 02:51 PM
When Dicko marked the ball and I knew this is it I almost jumped over three seats in front of me due to the height I got to. What a feeeling what a moment in life

Happy Days
25-09-2016, 03:23 PM
I had to work from 6-1 last night, and decided to not find out the score and watch it delayed after I finished. When I heard someone say the letters G, W, and S in sequence I literally ran out of the bar. When a drunk guy told me that I was missing an "amazing game" I hid in the keg room for 15 minutes in -3 degrees. Making it through a shift without finding out the score was such a miracle that it served as a spoiler in itself; no way we could lose after that.

Don't think I took breath until Dickson marked that ball. Didn't finish the game until 4 but had to watch that last quarter again.

EasternWest
25-09-2016, 03:59 PM
When Dicko marked the ball and I knew this is it I almost jumped over three seats in front of me due to the height I got to. What a feeeling what a moment in life

Bonus awesome points for being there.

I had to work from 6-1 last night, and decided to not find out the score and watch it delayed after I finished. When I heard someone say the letters G, W, and S in sequence I literally ran out of the bar. When a drunk guy told me that I was missing an "amazing game" I hid in the keg room for 15 minutes in -3 degrees. Making it through a shift without finding out the score was such a miracle that it served as a spoiler in itself; no way we could lose after that.

Don't think I took breath until Dickson marked that ball. Didn't finish the game until 4 but had to watch that last quarter again.

Sub Zero awesome.

chef
25-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Me and the boy stayed at Gundagai last night after the game(got in at 12:30). Were up at 6 to make it back to Shepparton for a under 14s soccer prelim. Poor fella wasnt quite himself and missed a few goals and we lost 4-2.

Still cant get the smile off his face. Will be a night and roadtrip we'll remember forever.

Go Dogs.

EasternWest
25-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Me and the boy stayed at Gundagai last night after the game(got in at 12:30). Were up at 6 to make it back to Shepparton for a under 14s soccer prelim. Poor fella wasnt quite himself and missed a few goals and we lost 4-2.

Still cant get the smile off his face. Will be a night and roadtrip we'll remember forever.

Go Dogs.

A whole tucker box full of awesome!

bulldogtragic
25-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Also, I drove up yesterday morning. I thought there wouldn't be many coming up the Hume that morning, but holy heck there was a heap of us all with scarves out the windows. I can only describe the amazing journey up to file footage of the Allied Tanks with flags a top filing single file at speed into Berlin to smash everyone at The Fuhrer Bunker and end the evil Reich. Or that's what I was thinking, and then we all passed an Army Truck convoy in NSW and then, damn, it stuck in my brain. Let's get there, smash 'em and claim victory.

A special shout out to the four lovely old ladies who left Altona at 4am Saturday morning driving!! Huge effort.

EasternWest
25-09-2016, 08:05 PM
Also, I drove up yesterday morning. I thought there wouldn't be many coming up the Hume that morning, but holy heck there was a heap of us all with scarves out the windows. I can only describe the amazing journey up to file footage of the Allied Tanks with flags a top filing single file at speed into Berlin to smash everyone at The Fuhrer Bunker and end the evil Reich. Or that's what I was thinking, and then we all passed an Army Truck convoy in NSW and then, damn, it stuck in my brain. Let's get there, smash 'em and claim victory.

A special shout out to the four lovely old ladies who left Altona at 4am Saturday morning driving!! Huge effort.

We got a great big awesome convoy!

Daughter of the West
25-09-2016, 09:28 PM
My grandfather played in the 54 side. The family have been waiting, pleading, cajoling and aching for a flag since then. My dad died four years ago, and he was only two when Footscray won the flag. But he was there, riding in on the train with me last night to the stadium and he was there when my sister and I embraced at the end of the game with tears in our eyes. And he'll definitely be there this week.

And dad would have been super impressed that I shook Smorgo's hand in the security line at the airport this morning!

AndrewP6
25-09-2016, 09:51 PM
You get an awesome! You get an awesome! You get an awesome! Everyone gets an awesome!

That's two awesomes for me. Is that known as a double awesome, awesome x2, or some other clever name?

josie
25-09-2016, 09:52 PM
My grandfather played in the 54 side. The family have been waiting, pleading, cajoling and aching for a flag since then. My dad died four years ago, and he was only two when Footscray won the flag. But he was there, riding in on the train with me last night to the stadium and he was there when my sister and I embraced at the end of the game with tears in our eyes. And he'll definitely be there this week.

And dad would have been super impressed that I shook Smorgo's hand in the security line at the airport this morning!

I have only been a member since 1998 so I cannot fathom the anguish long time supporters have suffered. DoW's post epitomises many of the aspects that make me love this club; loyalty, family, western suburb working class roots, lack of pretension and friendliness of supporters, current and former players and presidents. Thanks for all the great posts. Also if you have a few hours to whittle away I suggest you read some of the posts on big footy dogs pages and reaction to our prelim win - from recollection particularly page 17 or 18 onwards. Heart warming and life affirming doggy stories from doggy supporters and others.

EasternWest
25-09-2016, 10:09 PM

Warm fuzzy awesomes. What am I going to do with all these feels awesome.

That's two awesomes for me. Is that known as a double awesome, awesome x2, or some other clever name?

You get a bonus awesome for being observant and an extra awesome for being clever. That's awesome cubed.

AndrewP6
25-09-2016, 10:13 PM
Warm fuzzy awesomes. What am I going to do with all these feels awesome.

You get a bonus awesome for being observant and an extra awesome for being clever. That's awesome cubed.

God this is good. Feels like we made the grand final. Wait a minute....

bulldogtragic
26-09-2016, 11:09 PM
My now 80yo nan & 85yo pop tried to get into the 1954 Grand Final as young love birds, but couldn't get in. (By 1961 kids meant they couldn't afford to go). So he took her on an old motorbike to Williamstown beach and listened to the win on the wireless. Then went back to the Western Oval which was rocking. I've heard this story a lot, and I love it. Recently I heard it at her 80th. We bonded on Bulldogs from the get go taking me to WO with my 3 Aunty Joyce's (not sure how that worked). We were chatting and she lamented her poor health and her only wish 'before death' was to see the Bulldogs in another Grand Final and be there to see it, but she lamented that wouldn't happen.

My aunt & uncle forked out for corporate tickets for them both to the Grand Final and a hotel so there's no pressure to get back to the retirement home. Just when I thought the awesomeness couldn't get any more awesome, I was so proud for the immediate family and for the broader bulldog family.

EasternWest
26-09-2016, 11:12 PM
My now 80yo nan & 85yo pop tried to get into the 1954 Grand Final as young love birds, but couldn't get in. (By 1961 kids meant they couldn't afford to go). So he took her on an old motorbike to Williamstown beach and listened to the win on the wireless. Then went back to the Western Oval which was rocking. I've heard this story a lot, and I love it. Recently I heard it at her 80th. We bonded on Bulldogs from the get go taking me to WO with my 3 Aunty Joyce's (not sure how that worked). We were chatting and she lamented her poor health and her only wish 'before death' was to see the Bulldogs in another Grand Final and be there to see it, but she lamented that wouldn't happen.

My aunt & uncle forked out for corporate tickets for them both to the Grand Final and a hotel so there's no pressure to get back to the retirement home. Just when I thought the awesomeness couldn't get any more awesome, I was so proud for the immediate family and for the broader bulldog family.

I don't have enough awesomes for that. I'll give as many as i can then start looking around for more. Because all of the awesomes aren't enough.

EasternWest
26-09-2016, 11:12 PM
God this is good. Feels like we made the grand final. Wait a minute....

Imagine how good it'll feel after we win?

It'll be, dare i say it, awesome.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2016, 11:15 PM

I hope you're a captain in your day job. I'll pay for the brigade to print up a Captain Awesome name tag. :D

bulldogtragic
26-09-2016, 11:16 PM

I hope you're a captain in your day job. I'll pay for the brigade to print up a Captain Awesome name tag. :D

EasternWest
26-09-2016, 11:18 PM

Actually "Captain" is a bit of a dirty word at my work in the current climate.

Station Officer Awesome doesn't have the same ring, but it'll do.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2016, 12:00 AM
Actually "Captain" is a bit of a dirty word at my work in the current climate.

Station Officer Awesome doesn't have the same ring, but it'll do.

Could you answer the phone with that for a month when we win please?

EasternWest
27-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Could you answer the phone with that for a month when we win please?

Yes. Yes I will.

craigsahibee
27-09-2016, 09:53 AM
After the game on Saturday Night my phone was going nuts with messages.

Once I was back on the "Bonti Express" I checked my phone and one of the messages was from my ex wife living in Scotland with my 14 year old autistic son. She messaged to say congratulations and there was also a facebook status from my son saying "go doggies".

It's crap that he's not here and sitting next to me this Saturday. When he was born (on Chris Grant's Birthday) I selfishly visioned taking him to watch the Dogs week in/week out like my father did with me. Unfortunately, he never developed the level of interest in the game that I hoped he would, and his anxiety towards crowds meant that we didn't make it to many games.

If I can hold it all together after the siren this week I might try skyping him so he can at least share in the moment.

Go Dogs.

Mofra
27-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Someone asked me what I wanted for my birthday, which just happened to be prelim final day on Saturday.
Best birthday present I ever received.

EasternWest
27-09-2016, 10:04 AM
After the game on Saturday Night my phone was going nuts with messages.

Once I was back on the "Bonti Express" I checked my phone and one of the messages was from my ex wife living in Scotland with my 14 year old autistic son. She messaged to say congratulations and there was also a facebook status from my son saying "go doggies".

It's crap that he's not here and sitting next to me this Saturday. When he was born (on Chris Grant's Birthday) I selfishly visioned taking him to watch the Dogs week in/week out like my father did with me. Unfortunately, he never developed the level of interest in the game that I hoped he would, and his anxiety towards crowds meant that we didn't make it to many games.

If I can hold it all together after the siren this week I might try skyping him so he can at least share in the moment.

Go Dogs.

I can't think of anything clever and awesome to overcome the level of emotion in your post.

So I'll just say it's bloody awesome, and leave it at that.

Someone asked me what I wanted for my birthday, which just happened to be prelim final day on Saturday.
Best birthday present I ever received.

Happy awesome birthday!

bulldogtragic
12-09-2021, 11:03 AM
The most amazing, complete game in the hardest of circumstances giving everyone, especially in lockdown, just pure joy. Pure. Pure joy.

EasternWest
12-09-2021, 11:37 AM
Awesome.

azabob
12-09-2021, 11:38 AM
Awesome.

That's awesome.

EasternWest
12-09-2021, 11:44 AM
That's awesome.

You're awesome.

azabob
12-09-2021, 11:48 AM
You're awesome.

No, the bloke who started this thread is awesome. Oh wait, that's you! You are awesome.

EasternWest
12-09-2021, 11:59 AM
No, the bloke who started this thread is awesome. Oh wait, that's you! You are awesome.

You know who's awesome? Our team.

And you. And us.

azabob
12-09-2021, 12:02 PM
You know who's awesome? Our team.

And you. And us.

All of you... all of you...

The bulldog tragician
12-09-2021, 12:46 PM
Woof today is like a whole group of frolicking dogs running rampant in a park on a sunny day.

Twodogs
12-09-2021, 12:48 PM
Woof today is like a whole group of frolicking dogs running rampant in a park on a sunny day.

Bulldogs.

Grantysghost
12-09-2021, 12:55 PM

Making 2 GFs in 5 years equalling our total for the previous 90..

IS AWESOME!

EasternWest
12-09-2021, 08:17 PM

Name me something more awesome? You can't.

EasternWest
12-09-2021, 08:18 PM
The Bulldogs Bite is awesome.

josie
12-09-2021, 08:46 PM

Great description TBT.

You know I was trying to distract myself before the game and went for my max permitted 2hr walk in the early afternoon. Stopped at a dog off-leash park near Lost Dogs Home in North Melbourne. Stood there for a good 5 to 10 mins watching doggies of all shapes, sizes, ages in pure bliss doing just what you described. Forgot about our game for a little while and relaxed. You just made me remember this now. (Also saw some AFLW north players leaving Roos FC - one of whom played in our GF win - Emma Brunton I think it was, has partly dyed-red hair). And to distract myself on walk was listening to some short stories by……drum roll……V. Woolf.

I’m not superstitious but hell yeah-these were good omens. Also during the game early on I nervously yelled out go dogs three times. Hubby laughed. Then I started to yell out support & cheering by saying same thing 3 times, doing high fives 3 times, you get the picture. Footy does strange things to otherwise reasonably logical, grounded folks.

josie
12-09-2021, 08:47 PM
Oh and forgot to add all woofers are awesome. All is good in the world today.

Eastdog
12-09-2021, 08:52 PM
Me (Dogs) vs Mum (Dees) in the grand final like kruder :D

Go Bulldogs!

LostDog
12-09-2021, 09:03 PM
So blessed to be a Woofer !!!

EasternWest
12-09-2021, 09:45 PM
Double.

EasternWest
12-09-2021, 09:46 PM
Great description TBT.

You know I was trying to distract myself before the game and went for my max permitted 2hr walk in the early afternoon. Stopped at a dog off-leash park near Lost Dogs Home in North Melbourne. Stood there for a good 5 to 10 mins watching doggies of all shapes, sizes, ages in pure bliss doing just what you described. Forgot about our game for a little while and relaxed. You just made me remember this now. (Also saw some AFLW north players leaving Roos FC - one of whom played in our GF win - Emma Brunton I think it was, has partly dyed-red hair). And to distract myself on walk was listening to some short stories by……drum roll……V. Woolf.

I’m not superstitious but hell yeah-these were good omens. Also during the game early on I nervously yelled out go dogs three times. Hubby laughed. Then I started to yell out support & cheering by saying same thing 3 times, doing high fives 3 times, you get the picture. Footy does strange things to otherwise reasonably logical, grounded folks.

Oh and forgot to add all woofers are awesome. All is good in the world today.

Me (Dogs) vs Mum (Dees) in the grand final like kruder :D

Go Bulldogs!

So blessed to be a Woofer !!!

You're all awesome.

chef
12-09-2021, 09:50 PM
https://youtu.be/0-_DCFmsfEg

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-09-2021, 08:53 AM
Name me something more awesome? You can't.

Saturday two weeks time after we win... This is going to be the most awesome amount of awesome converging in the one place ever...
In your expert opinion EW is having too much awesomeness in the one place a significant fire risk?

Twodogs
13-09-2021, 01:25 PM
Saturday two weeks time after we win... This is going to be the most awesome amount of awesome converging in the one place ever...
In your expert opinion EW is having too much awesomeness in the one place a significant fire risk?

Mug advice would be to check the label.