PDA

View Full Version : What does making the Grand Final mean to you?

whythelongface
26-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Finally we have broken the drought and gotten over the line in the prelim. This is an amazing feeling seeing our team in the GF. We really are on the crest of the wave. Our coach, our team of super stars, the growing amount of support, the media love etc. Who would have thought this back in the dark days of the 80's and 90's and even more recently as October 2014.

Being a non-Victorian I somehow managed to end up following the Bulldogs (circa 1982/83), thankfully I settled on a team prior to the move north of South Melbourne so I didn't end up supporting those opposite us on Saturday. it has been one hell of a ride.

However, as a non-Victorian, I don't have the intimate history that a lot of you have in supporting the Bulldogs ie. that local history, what is like going to the Western Oval week in week out supporting our team, being there at the coal face particular when we were struggling financially and looking at merging - all these things that make this team what it is today.

What does making the GF mean to you and the local community? Even further still what would winning a GF mean?

BulldogBelle
26-09-2016, 11:37 PM
When we win on Saturday my life will be complete.

No more to be said,

bulldogtragic
26-09-2016, 11:51 PM
Where to start? For decades we've been the butt of arrogant schmucks jibes, and losing 7 prelims feed into a tragic narrative. To get into a Grand Final changes this past history and leads us into a new history. And it's how we've done it, even the schmucks are 100% behind us. We've gone from pity 23 months ago, to toast of the industry.

Personally, it doesn't erase memories of 1997 and 2009, but that pain needed relief and this is just the tonic. This is the reward for sticking fat in all the lean years. To stand among 100,000 people at the MCG with most barracking for us, the banner, stop for the photo, anthem and first bounce is beyond my wildest dream this year. And the feeling is so foreign, but incredibly europhic. I'm just so genuinely happy for something I usually say is just a game. But this is so much more for us all.

For our region, our people and standing it could be great. For so long we've been tagged as battlers, minnows, insignificant and other terms that frame our club in a particular way. Battlers don't bounce back all year. Minnows don't go to Perth and smash the in form team. Insignificant teams don't stop the 4-peat in front of 87,000 people. Battlers don't beat a team given every conceivable advantage over you including having several of your former best players. Poor cousins don't play Grand Finals and go into the game having beaten the opponent the last two times and at their home ground.

For so many people, like my nan who couldn't get in in 1954 and who thought she'd die without ever seeing them live play in a Grand Final it sews new history into a family that has been shaped around this club, and sharing stories and memories of the Western Oval and love of players from generation to generation of Charlie & EJ to Dougie & company, to Grant/Johno/West/Smith and now Bob/Bonts and many others.

Awesome. Amazing. Happy. Love. Pride. Winning. Course changing. History making. What was the question again?

Throughandthrough
27-09-2016, 12:22 AM
Have a look at the foundation stone on the old Footscray Town Hall, my Grandfather was Mayor when it was laid. His name is on it.

My Uncle was also Mayor of Footscray, and was on the board of Footscray for many years. He's a life member of the club.

My Dad was born in Seddon, and demanded I barrack for the Scrays about 45 or so years ago.

Those blokes are all long gone but for them I carry the flame.

I will be there with my first born, he's 18 and basically the dogs are the biggest thing in his life.

Not for a second pretending i'm any more passionate or any more proud or any more deserving that anyone on this fabulous forum, just so glad that I belong to the Dogs and they belong to me.

My Shout Saturday night, i'll be the bloke wearing Red, White and Blue stuff.

Eastdog
27-09-2016, 12:47 AM
It was the greatest moment in my time as a Western Bulldogs supporter last Saturday night. Absolutely love this club. We have always battled and gone through the tough times but we just keep on fighting. First side in history to make a GF from 7th and could win it from there - brillant. Started supporting the Dogs around the early 2000s and I'm the only one in my family who is a Doggie and have never regretted it. I live out in the east and I fly the Bulldog flag high. Will be the greatest ever moment for myself and most of us on here if we win on Saturday.

merantau
27-09-2016, 01:20 AM
Where to start? For decades we've been the butt of arrogant schmucks jibes, and losing 7 prelims feed into a tragic narrative. To get into a Grand Final changes this past history and leads us into a new history. And it's how we've done it, even the schmucks are 100% behind us. We've gone from pity 23 months ago, to toast of the industry.

Personally, it doesn't erase memories of 1997 and 2009, but that pain needed relief and this is just the tonic. This is the reward for sticking fat in all the lean years. To stand among 100,000 people at the MCG with most barracking for us, the banner, stop for the photo, anthem and first bounce is beyond my wildest dream this year. And the feeling is so foreign, but incredibly europhic. I'm just so genuinely happy for something I usually say is just a game. But this is so much more for us all.

For our region, our people and standing it could be great. For so long we've been tagged as battlers, minnows, insignificant and other terms that frame our club in a particular way. Battlers don't bounce back all year. Minnows don't go to Perth and smash the in form team. Insignificant teams don't stop the 4-peat in front of 87,000 people. Battlers don't beat a team given every conceivable advantage over you including having several of your former best players. Poor cousins don't play Grand Finals and go into the game having beaten the opponent the last two times and at their home ground.

For so many people, like my nan who couldn't get in in 1954 and who thought she'd die without ever seeing them live play in a Grand Final it sews new history into a family that has been shaped around this club, and sharing stories and memories of the Western Oval and love of players from generation to generation of Charlie & EJ to Dougie & company, to Grant/Johno/West/Smith and now Bob/Bonts and many others.

Awesome. Amazing. Happy. Love. Pride. Winning. Course changing. History making. What was the question again?

Great read BT.

Ghost Dog
27-09-2016, 02:42 AM
Good thread Lf

Like many on here, I've had my ups and downs in life. But I recall David Smorgon relating what it means to be 'Bulldog' in a television interview. It represents a kind of spirit, to keep fighting. A tenacity to keep at it, and that's why I follow the club.

But if you toil for long enough without effort, you start to question yourself.

When I first started barracking for the club, I thought to myself " I want to be there the day things turn full circle and will stick at it until I see it done". I admit at times I am not good at sticking at things. This final is an affirmation, a reward for effort and a valuable lesson on how to survive tough times. None of the so called experts said we would make it. This proves that sometimes the experts and the 'system' are wrong. We made it! So whatever troubles you are having, be more bulldog and your final will come! ( if it doesn't work, sack the coach trade the captain and give it another go. And whatever you do ignore the Damien Barrett's and the Robbos in life. They don't know shit. )

merantau
27-09-2016, 06:54 AM
We have been written off so many times but we are still here reminding the football world that we are staunch. But in football you need to win the flag to put the icing on the cake: the cake that's called "RESPECT".
Winning the flag means everything to me. Winning this year is what we deserve after all we have gone through. We will have the crowd on our side. Let's put on a good show and send the punters home with smiles on their faces. Go Dogs!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
27-09-2016, 09:04 AM
I don't know yet still trying to get my head around the win against West Coast

craigsahibee
28-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Personally, I now feel a sense of "belonging" within the wider football community. Previously it seemed as if I didn't count because a) It had been so long since we had been in a Grand Final and b) I had not been to one as I refused to go to a GF until we were in it. We are in the Big Dance now and it feels fantastic. I reckon I could get used to this.

Now we are relevant. People are starting to envy us. We are casting away years of pessimism on the back of potentially, one of the great months of finals football in the history of the game. Our players believe and are not burdened by the misfortune's of the past. This group of young men are creating their own piece of history and are forging life long friendships and memories, and I for one feel a part of that.

I unashamedly shed tears on last Saturday night.

I comforted a stranger with a simple pat on the back as he sat on the dewy turf of Spotless Stadium, in tears whilst on the phone to loved ones presumably back home. I sang in unison, with thousands of others a tribal tune that announced us to the world. This has been one of the greatest periods in my life and I am loving every moment of it.

Take a deep breath everyone because this ride 'aint stopping anytime soon.

Topdog
28-09-2016, 11:29 AM
It was just like a giant weight lifted off the shoulders. In a sense it feels strange because I had essentially given up on this happening. This was my lot in life as a Dogs supporters, destined to be prelim final failures.

I've received probably 6 or 7 phone calls from people who havent spoken to me in years this week wishing me all the best and hoping that I had a ticket. Its huge.

I've said "We're in the ******* Grand Final" at least 100 times so far this week. Monday (waiting for tickets) was the most stressful day of my life.

I'm bitterly disappointed that I won't go to the game with my 6 year old boy. He wasn't interested in footy until about 6-7 weeks ago so never bothered getting him a membership. I'm still entering every competition I can find to get him there with me. Financial situation has changed now so I have him onboard for 17.

Throughandthrough
28-09-2016, 12:27 PM
It was just like a giant weight lifted off the shoulders. In a sense it feels strange because I had essentially given up on this happening. This was my lot in life as a Dogs supporters, destined to be prelim final failures.

Good call. Me too. Only just remembered this

chef
28-09-2016, 01:04 PM
I dont care about 97 or 09 anymore. That pain is now gone.

comrade
28-09-2016, 01:11 PM
I dont care about 97 or 09 anymore. That pain is now gone.

That's one of the best things. 1997 won't be uttered when referring to the Dogs, regardless of what happens on Saturday. Libba's point, Bubba punching the ground. These clips won't be shown anymore. Now it'll be Libba Jr kicking to Macrae, JJ zooming away, Stringer hitting up Dickson.

All those moments of failure are resigned to the annals of history.

SonofScray
28-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Making the Grand Final triggered off pandemonium where I was sitting. Just pure, unadulterated joy. It was a moment of mass catharsis, I literally felt a weight off my shoulders.

During the game and the build up the weight of every PF loss and associated heartaches started to compress on me, to the point that pre game I spent about an hour locked in the hotel room toilet crying and paralysed with anxiety. It was the most intense thing I have ever experienced. I am so glad I hate GWS and was able to project a lot of that onto them and off load some of my loathing and hostility. I doubled down and got to the pub to meet family and friends before joining the throngs of Scraggers in the stands. I was screaming, shouting pacing, ruffling my mate's hair. My aunty teared up when the boys ran out, I did too. Kept thinking to myself "PLEASE DOGS. THIS TIME. PLEASE" I was full of belief but still had a small guard up.

I haven't had a drink in years but decided a few ales pre game would be fit given the occasion. Should have just waited until post game because I didn't enjoy those drinks but by jingo, that beer post game was the best beer I've ever had.

Mostly though making the GF was about my family past and present. They have stuck fat, been staunch for so long and through this Club have generated so many enriching moments. To see their unwavering belief and commitment open up an opportunity to see another Flag wag was incredible. It feels like my strongest values of resilience and effort have been vindicated, or given the opportunity to be at least.

I thought about my Daughter, 10 months old at home with her mum and my in laws and what this Club has in store for her and how through her the legacy of my Nan will carry on down the line and that between us all, the joy of the week and the potential of a Flag That Wags will never fade.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtReNjwUMAAk9QU.jpg

Rocket Science
28-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Even sweeter - in a most schadenfreudey way - is that reminiscing of the Giants' 'history' now begins with Libba handballing to Tom Boyd handballing to Stringer centreing to Dickson...

May they marinate in that for quite some time.

In my best MacAvaney affection; "Deliciouuuus!".

bornadog
28-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Even sweeter - in a most schadenfreudey way - is that reminiscing of the Giants' 'history' now begins with Macrae handballing to Libba handballing to Tom Boyd handballing to Stringer centreing to Dickson...

May they marinate in that for quite some time.

In my best MacAvaney affection; "Deliciouuuus!".

The forgotten man

Rocket Science
28-09-2016, 02:34 PM
The forgotten man

Remiss of me.

In fact, more than happy to rewind it back as far as Scully's 'missed' 50m.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-09-2016, 03:22 PM
It means a hell of a lot.

I love this club, my family loves this club, we've been diehard members for all our lives (25 years, 35+ years) and live and breathe every handball and kick EVERY week EVERY year.

I grew up where I was one of few Doggies fans, surrounded by Geelong supporters who have had plenty of success and weren't afraid to rub it in. I went to the heartbreak of 97, the capitulation of 98, the disappointment of 08, the heartbreak (again) of 09 and the end of the inevitable at 2010.

Seen the club almost fold, seen it kicked to the curb and spat on and now I've seen it rise. I had a dream to play AFL myself but never got the chance because of injury, so all my focus has been on the Dogs for many many years. I remember Chris Grant's goal v Essendon in 2000, I remember his point in the 1997 PF. I remember Cooney's running goal in the 2006 EF, I remember Gilbee missing a shot in the dying minutes of the 2009 PF.

I remember facing great adversity this season. I remember destroying West Coast in Perth in the EF to win our first ever interstate final when nobody said we could. I remember beating the triple premiers at the MCG in front of 88,000 people, when the media said it couldn't be done. I remember our side breaking history to defeat a plastic manufactured club in GWS at their own home deck to advance to our first Grand Final in some 55 years!

I will never forget this month or this week, I will never forget the Grand Final parade or heading to the MCG on Grand Final Day 2016.

One more step. Let's belt the living shit out of Sydney and complete the fairytale.

LostDoggy
28-09-2016, 10:05 PM
I unashamedly shed tears on last Saturday night.

You definatey weren't alone there:)

AndrewP6
29-09-2016, 12:30 AM
It means an enormous amount. I'm on the sth-east side of town, but have only ever followed the Dogs. Dad was from the Western Districts of Victoria - little town called Cobden (Garry Rohan and Ben Cunnington both from there). He moved to the city when he was about 18 to look for work, and first lived in St Albans. Also lived in Footscray and Yarraville (and probably some other places I've forgotten), and played Footy for years with Parkside FC, he was named in their team of the century (2003) too. He worked for V Line, and used to walk to work with EJ. EJ passed away in August '95, Dad in November that year. He didn't live to see our best teams, but stayed through and through. All the years of following the Dogs, and we were either down the arse end of the ladder, or everyone's second team but never quite good enough. I remember in the late 90s wearing my footy jumper to basketball training, and the boys took great delight in giving me stick. I saw the PF run from '08-10, sat shattered in '09 as I thought that could be the year.

Two years ago it seemed we were knee deep in the muddy. Coach, captain, several players - gone. This year, with injuries seemingly on a weekly basis, I thought the usual "Oh well, we'll reset next year". They absolutely astounded me the first two finals. Last weekend in Sydney, was just.... I'm not sure how to describe it adequately. Suddenly, for the first time in my (and many others) lives, Grand Final week means something. We are in the papers, on the TV, hell there is even a GF Footy Record with us on the cover! People wherever I go in Dogs colours, want to discuss them. 16 other teams are on holidays, and WE are playing for a premiership.

Yep, this means a lot.

ReLoad
29-09-2016, 01:58 AM
Ive always said when I was laughed at at school becase of my team, taken pity on by people whose teams win all the time, that one day when it happens it will be a million times sweater than anything that you have ever seen.

The road we travel on is what makes the destination more memorable, and jeez have we been on one hell of a road!

Nobody but us can understand or appreciate what we are going through, to have been through what we have, to battle and scrape and fight for every god damned inch, to be given nothing, to have to beat every single thing that conspires against us makes this a real true fairytale.

If we were to win, and yes its a big IF I put it to you, and i dare someone to argue, that our month of football has been the greatest by any side ever in the history of our game. EVER.

I just got off a 13 hour flight where i watched the last 3 games back to back on my ipad and i freakin sobbed like a baby at the end of each of them. I had only seen snippets and highlights, but christ they were epic wins each one of them in a different way.

strebla
29-09-2016, 03:08 AM
My journey started in 83 I have seen all but 1 PF along the journey I have made sure each and every one of my 5 nieces and my nephew were bulldogs. Have I made their life a misery crossed my mind more than once I met my now ex wife and her 2 young sons all Bombers within 12 months all red white and blue through an though. On Saturday though not all sitting together I will have 2 brothers 1 sister in law 4 nieces 1 nephew and 2 stepsons watching MY team in the grand final!!!!!!!
What does it mean to me? everything all the pain tears frustration and fear I have felt in my 33 years as a member and lover of all things bulldog have been worth it. I can't wait to walk to the ground with my family to see my team on the biggest of days oh yes I am enjoying the ride.

Daughter of the West
29-09-2016, 10:33 PM
I think it's already been eluded to, but exercising past demons.

Just that damn PF monkey on the back of our football club. The number of times it gets mentioned in commentary, brought out in stats, referred to in passing.

I sat at Spotless when we were five points up, feeling sick and dreading the ball slingshotting down the other end for a goal. I didn't want to dredge up the Saints game again, but damn the feeling was familiar. Thinking all of these Scraggers here had invested so much heart, come so far, yelled so loudly, spent so much time, energy and passion to be crushed yet again. And then all of a sudden - Dicko's lining up for goal and the siren going and the dread dried up like it never existed. Replace by absolutely unadulterated euphoria.

merantau
30-09-2016, 12:37 AM
Ive always said when I was laughed at at school becase of my team, taken pity on by people whose teams win all the time, that one day when it happens it will be a million times sweater than anything that you have ever seen.

The road we travel on is what makes the destination more memorable, and jeez have we been on one hell of a road!

Nobody but us can understand or appreciate what we are going through, to have been through what we have, to battle and scrape and fight for every god damned inch, to be given nothing, to have to beat every single thing that conspires against us makes this a real true fairytale.

If we were to win, and yes its a big IF I put it to you, and i dare someone to argue, that our month of football has been the greatest by any side ever in the history of our game. EVER.

I just got off a 13 hour flight where i watched the last 3 games back to back on my ipad and i freakin sobbed like a baby at the end of each of them. I had only seen snippets and highlights, but christ they were epic wins each one of them in a different way.

You've said it all my friend.

Danny the snakeman
30-09-2016, 02:43 AM
I remember destroying West Coast in Perth in the EF to win our first ever interstate final when nobody said we could.

I will never forget that, best game/win/feeling I have been at . I could not get to the GF but that game was my GF.