PDA

View Full Version : WOOFER travelling the furthest & longest to attend the Grand Final.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 08:26 PM
I've seen sprinkles of info in different threads. I was kind of curious how far and how long your travel to attend the Grand Final will be. Minimum criteria to not flood the thread is 3 hours drive or any commercial flight domestic &/or international. The Winner gets our gratitude, as attending is the real prize.

1eyedog
28-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Isn't Chicago1 coming from....Chicago? Jaytee from Bonnie Scotland.

Fair efforts.

Eastdog
28-09-2016, 09:40 PM
jazzadogs

bornadog
28-09-2016, 09:42 PM

Fair efforts.

I think Jaytee is in Bendigo or Ballarat

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 09:43 PM

Fair efforts.

I know there was another London one. But I'm not sure that's why I'm asking.

1eyedog
28-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Ah OK

Eastdog
28-09-2016, 09:48 PM
I know there was another London one. But I'm not sure that's why I'm asking.

FrediKanoute and Jazzadogs are in London. Jaytee is in Ballarat.

LostDoggy
28-09-2016, 09:50 PM
not coming from o/s but flying down from Brisbane. Home is Mount Mee.

I guarantee there won't be another person of the 100k from here ;)

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 09:51 PM
not coming from o/s but flying down from Brisbane. Home is Mount Mee.

I guarantee there won't be another person of the 100k from here ;)

Club house leader. :D

FrediKanoute
28-09-2016, 09:54 PM
FrediKanoute and Jazzadogs are in London. Jaytee is in Ballarat.

Jazzadogs left yesterday I am leaving tonight! I heard of someone flying out from Bolivia!

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 09:55 PM
Jazzadogs left yesterday I am leaving tonight! I heard of someone flying out from Bolivia!

Fredi is now clubhouse leader! Roughy how many kms and time are we talking about?

LostDoggy
28-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Bolivia. Amazing

jazzadogs
28-09-2016, 10:07 PM
Yeh I was in Scotland...drove to Edinburgh, train to London, currently in Singapore and will roll straight from my 7am arrival tomorrow into open training. Don't know what the distance is, but I left Edinburgh on Monday!

I just wanna be in Melbourne already!

bornadog
28-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Yeh I was in Scotland...drove to Edinburgh, train to London, currently in Singapore and will roll straight from my 7am arrival tomorrow into open training. Don't know what the distance is, but I left Edinburgh on Monday!

Edinburgh to Melbourne 16,901 klm

Bolivia to Melbourne 13,292 klm.

You are club house leader

jazzadogs
28-09-2016, 10:34 PM
Two other guys from my London footy club are on their way too...and I met another Bulldogs supporter at Heathrow! They're not woofers though, despite my encouragement.

FrediKanoute
28-09-2016, 10:57 PM

You win....I live in West London so no chance I can beat that mileage

ReLoad
29-09-2016, 01:28 AM
im flying the furtherest away, Flew to Seattle this morning, does that count? ;)

merantau
29-09-2016, 07:31 AM
I'll claim longest motorbike ride - 12hrs 40mins.

jazzadogs
29-09-2016, 07:47 AM
At least two other Bulldogs on my flight from London! The pack is gathering from everywhereeeee!!!

LostDoggy
29-09-2016, 07:59 AM
Now amazing is our club. We gather around be it GF or otherwise.

#thepackisswarming

Topdog
29-09-2016, 08:14 AM
What is Chicago to Melbourne?

LostDoggy
29-09-2016, 08:22 AM

15,575.23 klm's

MrMahatma
29-09-2016, 09:12 AM
Brisbane. Bring it on!

bulldogtragic
29-09-2016, 09:22 AM
I'll claim longest motorbike ride - 12hrs 40mins.

At least two other Bulldogs on my flight from London! The pack is gathering from everywhereeeee!!!

15,575.23 klm's

Brisbane. Bring it on!

As EasternWest would say; that's pretty, pretty, pretty awesome!

LostDoggy
29-09-2016, 12:49 PM
I've just touched down. So excited

Throughandthrough
29-09-2016, 01:07 PM
Yeah, but I have to get up 3AM Saturday morning for a 4AM taxi :)

angelopetraglia
29-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Safe travels to everyone embarking on a long journey to make it back for the Grand Final.

EasternWest
29-09-2016, 11:50 PM
As EasternWest would say; that's pretty, pretty, pretty awesome!

I would say that.

Scraggers
30-09-2016, 01:05 AM
Perth, WA. Flew over the Adelaide storm to get here.

Twodogs
30-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Perth, WA. Flew over the Adelaide storm to get here.

That would have been pretty cool.

lemmon
30-09-2016, 09:56 AM
Bolivia. Amazing

That's a very good friend of mine. He's cut short his trip by four months

Throughandthrough
30-09-2016, 10:14 AM
That would have been pretty cool.

Not from my view it wasn't!

3 hours to get home, celebrated wife's birthday by eating sandwiches using solar lights from our garden to see what we were doing.

Topdog
30-09-2016, 10:16 AM
Sorry but the thought of that made me laugh.

choconmientay
10-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Sorry to bump this old thread up but reading the Internet and found this {behind paywall} (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/western-bulldogs-big-moment-lures-fans-from-far-and-wide/news-story/da4f4de66bf050ea9ec4bec7d10bda99) guy travelled from Costa Rica to attend the GF.

It was all worthwhile.

Western Bulldogs big moment lures fans from far and wide
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/3172005628caf31e0bd00a4e304f1016
Rob Whitwell and Andrew Whitwell with Kieran Geier are pumped for the Grand Final.

AFTER travelling for 38 hours to spend 47 hours in Melbourne, Andrew Whitwell is ready to see his beloved Western Bulldogs roar.

A lifelong Doggies fan, Mr Whitwell was never going to let the fact he was working in Costa Rica get in the way of his Grand Final dream.

So, seconds after the Bulldogs qualified for their first Premiership decider in 55 years, he booked a ticket home to Melbourne — stopping all stations.

He drove an hour to the nearest airport to board an eight-seat plane to San Jose, praying a nearby volcano did not erupt.

Touching down in Houston, he changed planes for Los Angeles, then a 16 hour direct flight to Melbourne landing at 7.30am on Friday in a pair of thongs.

Jet-lagged but jubilant, Mr Whitwell said it was all worth it to have a parmigiana, pot of Carlton Draught and take in the Grand Final.

“There are just waves of emotion and win, lose or draw it doesn’t matter because it’s all about being in it,’’ he said.

“It’s wonderful to see everyone with Doggies scarfs on and to see everyone adopt the Doggies for the day.’’

Mr Whitwell is not the only Doggies fan clocking up frequent flyer points to watch today’s game.

Kevin Miller’s dad Walter played for Footscray and Fitzroy, his uncle Jim was Bulldogs president and he was at the MCG with his family for the 1954 flag.

So he knew he needed to be in Melbourne when his team reached its first Grand Final in 55 years. He and son Dean travelled from Queensland to soak up the atmosphere.

“It’s something I’ve been dreaming about for 62 years,’’ he said.

Dean said it was “an absolute dream’’.

“Dad has been telling me all my life what it was like to be at a Doggies’ Grand Final and now I will get to experience it with him,’’ he said.

Cerebral palsy sufferer Kobe Malloy, 10, will also be at today’s game, courtesy of the Herald Sun.

He will be joined by 91-year-old Gordon Leslie from Spotswood who has barracked for the Bulldogs all his life and been a member for 40 years.

Mr Leslie saw the Bulldogs win their only premiership in 1954, and has hopes of seeing a second today.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2017, 07:27 PM
I heard on Saturday, a member came in from Saudi Arabia for the GF last year. Some of our members need civilian medals, or Tony Abbott back to recommence Knights & Dames to award these guys.

merantau
23-04-2017, 09:38 PM
I left Hu'u Beach in east Sumbawa on my motorcycle and made it home to Kuta, Lombok after a 14 hour trip. Luckily only the last two hours were in the dark, through heavy traffic and driving rain.
During the first part of the ride traffic was light and the weather balmy. I was able to ride along with visions of our magnificent victory over GWS replaying in my mind's eye on a continuous loop: Clay's running goal to get the ball rolling , Dicko's superb effort getting to his feet to beat two opponents and goal, the manic efforts that saw Caleb snap a major at the end of the third and JJ's run and delivery into the path of the "Irresistible One" -"BONTEMPELLI!!!. There's no one between him and the goals. He lopes in, he paddles the ball, he gathers, he closes, 30m, 25m ... HE GOALS!!! The Bulldogs have hit the front!"
And of course the last minute. Who can forget the roar that went up when Stringer centres the ball - the roar that begins when the ball is in mid-air and reaches a crescendo when it lands in the safe arms of Dead Eye Dickson. It was a magic ride. Unforgettable.

Twodogs
23-04-2017, 10:12 PM
It took me longer than usual because the train went through the bloody loop! Usually it's a half hour to Richmond station from West Footscray but the loop can add 30-45 minutes to the trip after going around the bloody thing and then sitting waiting at Flinders st.

What a nightmare.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2017, 10:18 PM
It took me longer than usual because the train went through the bloody loop! Usually it's a half hour to Richmond station from West Footscray but the loop can add 30-45 minutes to the trip after going around the bloody thing and then sitting waiting at Flinders st.

What a nightmare.

A true hero, Sir. You don't mind if I call you Sir, do you?

Twodogs
23-04-2017, 11:00 PM
A true hero, Sir. You don't mind if I call you Sir, do you?

It's OK I guess.

I just thought of how the players would probably be doing it almost as tough as I was when they got out on the field and it sort of inspired me to keep going. Or just keep sitting there for the bit we sat at Flinders st for.

Scraggers
24-04-2017, 03:00 AM
It took me 6.5 hours to travel from my door step in Perth to the G. Thanks to numerous ales with EasternWest after the greatest game ever, it took me 11 hours to get back to the house in Melbourne I was staying at that night (next morning).

Chicago1
24-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Yes, I did travel from Chicago for last year's Grand Final. Best day of my life.

This year I will only have to travel from Keilor East. I will be arriving in Melbourne on Tues May 2 and living not too far from the Whitten Oval. My possessions left on Friday. I will leave on Sunday. I plan on going over to the club and getting my 40th membership next week.

I had intended to leave the US sooner, but it has been very difficult for personal reasons. But now, I'm feeling well and ready to go.

My biggest regret is that my cat, Lily, a Western Bulldogs Pet Member for the past five years, will not be coming with me.:( I shall be bringing her back on Thursday to the non-kill shelter I adopted her from almost seven years ago. I will demand that her new adopted parents be Cubs fans.

See youse at the match against my most hated team - Richmond!

bornadog
24-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Yes, I did travel from Chicago for last year's Grand Final. Best day of my life.

This year I will only have to travel from Keilor East. I will be arriving in Melbourne on Tues May 2 and living not too far from the Whitten Oval. My possessions left on Friday. I will leave on Sunday. I plan on going over to the club and getting my 40th membership next week.

I had intended to leave the US sooner, but it has been very difficult for personal reasons. But now, I'm feeling well and ready to go.

My biggest regret is that my cat, Lily, a Western Bulldogs Pet Member for the past five years, will not be coming with me.:( I shall be bringing her back on Thursday to the non-kill shelter I adopted her from almost seven years ago. I will demand that her new adopted parents be Cubs fans.

See youse at the match against my most hated team - Richmond!

Why not bring Lily? We need all the pet members we can get.

Chicago1
24-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Why not bring Lily? We need all the pet members we can get.

It's a six month process to go through and six months ago I was not in a good place at all. Also it would cost over $3000 to get her through all of the injections, multiple visits to the vet and quarantine. If only I would have been successful in Las Vegas... :(

bornadog
24-04-2017, 02:02 PM
It's a six month process to go through and six months ago I was not in a good place at all. Also it would cost over $3000 to get her through all of the injections, multiple visits to the vet and quarantine. If only I would have been successful in Las Vegas... :(
Wow costly

Chicago1
24-04-2017, 03:37 PM
It's because of the absence of rabies in Australia and I fully agree with the policy. It was harder to take my Aussie born cat out of Australia in 2000 than it was to get him into the US. According to Australian export laws, I had to take the cat to a federally licensed vet, have him checked out and make sure he had his appropriate shots up to date and then get a certificate of export. It only cost $125 to take him on the plane as an extra bag and he went straight into the country. I had to collect him at LAX and then they transferred him to my flight to Chicago. After about 24 hours flying, Jordan had no idea what had happened. He stayed in my bedroom the first month, too scared to come out. Eventually he got used to everything. I even took him out into the snow. His ashes are now in one of my boxes on its way to Melbourne. He's coming home, too.

josie
24-04-2017, 08:20 PM
It's because of the absence of rabies in Australia and I fully agree with the policy. It was harder to take my Aussie born cat out of Australia in 2000 than it was to get him into the US. According to Australian export laws, I had to take the cat to a federally licensed vet, have him checked out and make sure he had his appropriate shots up to date and then get a certificate of export. It only cost $125 to take him on the plane as an extra bag and he went straight into the country. I had to collect him at LAX and then they transferred him to my flight to Chicago. After about 24 hours flying, Jordan had no idea what had happened. He stayed in my bedroom the first month, too scared to come out. Eventually he got used to everything. I even took him out into the snow. His ashes are now in one of my boxes on its way to Melbourne. He's coming home, too.

Ahh - good to hear of fellow woofers that are cat lovers too. Welcome back Chicago.

P.S. I met a lovely Dogs supporter on the weekend after the game vs the Lions, who originally hails from Atlanta Georgia. His gentle, southern twang still evident. Married to a nice Aussie girl whom I was sitting next to. We were all on the Sunbury bound train. I could only chat for a few mins as I got off at West Footscray to watch Dogs VFL match. And another nice chap sitting next to him (who had taken his very cute 2 yo lad to his first ever AFL match) said all his relatives lived in Boston. Small world...You could start up a "Dogs R US"!! supporter group.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Summary of this thread as to International Flights to the Premiership Day:

England
Scotland
Bolivia
USA - Seattle
USA - Chicago
Saudi Arabia
Indonesia
Costa Rica

(North America, Central America, South America, Europe, Asia, South East Asia - Just missing an African fly back to clean sweep the populated continents)

Thank God we won for you all. Would've been a very long, shitty 20+ hour flights back for most.

Twodogs
25-04-2017, 12:08 AM
Ahh - good to hear of fellow woofers that are cat lovers too. Welcome back Chicago.

P.S. I met a lovely Dogs supporter on the weekend after the game vs the Lions, who originally hails from Atlanta Georgia. His gentle, southern twang still evident. Married to a nice Aussie girl whom I was sitting next to. We were all on the Sunbury bound train. I could only chat for a few mins as I got off at West Footscray to watch Dogs VFL match. And another nice chap sitting next to him (who had taken his very cute 2 yo lad to his first ever AFL match) said all his relatives lived in Boston. Small world...You could start up a "Dogs R US"!! supporter group.

The train on the way home after a win is one of the happiest, most sociable places on earth.

The trip home after the grand final was one of the wildest rides I've been on.