PDA

View Full Version : More than a club

Webby
29-09-2016, 10:21 PM
Reflecting this week on what's happening:

The US used to say, "Give us your poor, your weak, your hungry... And we'll build a nation."

I'm getting that vibe (to a lesser extent, perhaps!") this week.

We, the west of Melbourne, have been patronised, belittled, patted on the head and dismissed for too long. We're starting to rise. To gain respect. To tell the broader world to stick it. We're here!... And they know that we're coming..!

Win or lose on Saturday, we're more than "relevant."
We're more than the "tragic" club and people that we've been labelled.

Our club is a symbol of this.

Every city in the world is a fishbowl. In Boston (one of the pre-eminent cities of the richest country in the world), people like to throw dirt at 'southies.' "I'm at the better end of the fishbowl than you."

As it happens, in Melbourne, Australia, a similar phenomenon exists. If one is from the wrong side of the Yarra.. Or (gasp) what's more, the wrong side of the Maribyrnong, one is dismissed as a "battler" or a "bogan" or "scum." People like to do this in order to make themselves feel better about themselves. More adequate.... "At least I don't live out there!"

To these people, I say, how's them apples? The west of Melbourne has something that can't be manufactured - spirit and community. Those outside of the West can't quite grasp it. It can't be bottled. However it can be felt at the Hart's Hotel, or the Mona Castle, or the Sunshine RSL. It's a feeling outsiders can't quite understand. We're a brotherhood. A sisterhood. "Tightknit" is a term that seems foreign to many. We've been in it together for so long. This, in the face of barbs such as "chemical hinterland" or "shitsville" or worse. This is the element which bonds us. We just know it.

Furthermore, newcomers to the city pick up on this. They are not silly. They realise when they're being patronised or not. There is a lack of arrogance out west. I think this is the reason why there is such a groundswell of support for our club. Whether it be from footy fans or not... So many "average joes" are onboard this week.

Finally we're on the cusp of shocking the country. Our great emblem, the beloved Doggies, are going to give it their all to win the national championship af the national sport.

It's more than a club. It's a cause!

Go Dogs! Come what may on Saturday, we're showing the rest of the country that we're not only up for anyone - we're the equal of anyone...

Go well, our boys. Go well!

You have represented us well for 133 years! Do it for all of us.

merantau
30-09-2016, 12:43 AM
Reflecting this week on what's happening:

The US used to say, "Give us your poor, your weak, your hungry... And we'll build a nation."

I'm getting that vibe (to a lesser extent, perhaps!") this week.

We, the west of Melbourne, have been patronised, belittled, patted on the head and dismissed for too long. We're starting to rise. To gain respect. To tell the broader world to stick it. We're here!... And they know that we're coming..!

Win or lose on Saturday, we're more than "relevant."
We're more than the "tragic" club and people that we've been labelled.

Our club is a symbol of this.

Every city in the world is a fishbowl. In Boston (one of the pre-eminent cities of the richest country in the world), people like to throw dirt at 'southies.' "I'm at the better end of the fishbowl than you."

As it happens, in Melbourne, Australia, a similar phenomenon exists. If one is from the wrong side of the Yarra.. Or (gasp) what's more, the wrong side of the Maribyrnong, one is dismissed as a "battler" or a "bogan" or "scum." People like to do this in order to make themselves feel better about themselves. More adequate.... "At least I don't live out there!"

To these people, I say, how's them apples? The west of Melbourne has something that can't be manufactured - spirit and community. Those outside of the West can't quite grasp it. It can't be bottled. However it can be felt at the Hart's Hotel, or the Mona Castle, or the Sunshine RSL. It's a feeling outsiders can't quite understand. We're a brotherhood. A sisterhood. "Tightknit" is a term that seems foreign to many. We've been in it together for so long. This, in the face of barbs such as "chemical hinterland" or "shitsville" or worse. This is the element which bonds us. We just know it.

Furthermore, newcomers to the city pick up on this. They are not silly. They realise when they're being patronised or not. There is a lack of arrogance out west. I think this is the reason why there is such a groundswell of support for our club. Whether it be from footy fans or not... So many "average joes" are onboard this week.

Finally we're on the cusp of shocking the country. Our great emblem, the beloved Doggies, are going to give it their all to win the national championship af the national sport.

It's more than a club. It's a cause!

Go Dogs! Come what may on Saturday, we're showing the rest of the country that we're not only up for anyone - we're the equal of anyone...

Go well, our boys. Go well!

You have represented us well for 133 years! Do it for all of us.

You've nailed it Webby. Thanks for posting.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Can someone tweet Barrett. Ask who the best big man was & which KPF kicked the most goals on the ground. anyone please

hujsh
01-10-2016, 08:27 PM
IF... Tom Boyd is best on ground in a GF

THEN... Is Barret a confirmed *!*!*!*!ing idiot?