PDA

View Full Version : Everitt?

GVGjr
24-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Where does everyone see him playing in 2008? As a forward, as a defender, on a wing or off the bench?
My guess is that we would like to play him as a defender but I wonder if he might play as a forward flanker

BulldogBelle
24-12-2007, 09:17 PM
I see him taking on a defender role with the occasional outburst into the forward line. He is exciting to watch. With our descent into those madness final 7 weeks of the season when we lost our mojo - he was one of the remaining shining lights to watch.

hujsh
24-12-2007, 09:46 PM
I would like to see him used as a utility off the bench. But we might be better off letting him settle into one particular position which i think should be a tall winger

LostDoggy
24-12-2007, 10:14 PM
I would like to see him used as a utility off the bench. But we might be better off letting him settle into one particular position which i think should be a tall winger

Bit of Andrew Embley you reckon? Tall wing, great skills etc.

I like him rebounding from defence, but with Gilbee, Griff, Shaggy etc he might not get a run there.

hujsh
25-12-2007, 12:53 AM

I like him rebounding from defence, but with Gilbee, Griff, Shaggy etc he might not get a run there.

Yeah but with a bigger emphasis on kicking to him if we are under pressure so he can outmark the typical winger while he has the skills to play a traditional wingers role if a taller player matches up on him.

Go_Dogs
25-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I like him everywhere. He's so composed, makes the right decisions and uses the ball well. He also wins contested ball.

This year I again see him playing more a flanker role, perhaps both forward and back, but mainly back. I also see him spending time floating around off perhaps a wing. It'll be interesting to see how much bulk he can put on over summer, because if he does get the size, he could perhaps play a more key position role than a lot of us are suggesting here.

Dogs 24/7
25-12-2007, 02:17 PM
I like him everywhere. He's so composed, makes the right decisions and uses the ball well. He also wins contested ball.

This year I again see him playing more a flanker role, perhaps both forward and back, but mainly back. I also see him spending time floating around off perhaps a wing. It'll be interesting to see how much bulk he can put on over summer, because if he does get the size, he could perhaps play a more key position role than a lot of us are suggesting here.

I think we should not settle him down into any one position. He can play anywhere we need him. I'm excited that we have the likes of Williams, Everitt, O'Shea and Grant coming through. A great mixture of play anywhere talls which we have needed for a while.

LostDoggy
25-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Would he be best as a half back flanker ?
This would allow him to get off his man and be creative.

Mofra
26-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Would he be best as a half back flanker ?
This would allow him to get off his man and be creative.

This is where I'd play him. We need a plan B for the playmaker off HB as teams are likely to play a defensive HFF on Gilbee (this is what teams did whilst setting up a zone further up field; in the last 7 weeks or so it worked a treat against us).

Personally on first choice I'd take Shaggy back to a BP (will be much more effective than McMahon there, and can play a similar role only taller & tougher) and have Everitt on the HBF with Gilbee taking the other flank, and either Williams or Doogs (depending on the opposition) at CHB.

Sockeye Salmon
27-12-2007, 10:10 AM
HBF for mine.

The days of the marking wingman like Hawkins, Flower or Greig are gone. When was the last time you saw anyone kick to a one-on-one anywhere let alone wingers?

Wingers need to be able to run and kick.

GVGjr
27-12-2007, 10:46 AM
HBF for mine.

The days of the marking wingman like Hawkins, Flower or Greig are gone. When was the last time you saw anyone kick to a one-on-one anywhere let alone wingers?

Wingers need to be able to run and kick.

I agree with everything that you said but Everitt is no slouch with the rnning and kicking either. In fact it's his strength at the moment not the marking.

westdog54
27-12-2007, 05:21 PM
I can see him filling out like his brother has, in which case I'd want him spending more time in defence, but if we sense a potential mis-match by all means shift him onto a wing.

Dogs 24/7
27-12-2007, 06:01 PM
I can see him filling out like his brother has, in which case I'd want him spending more time in defence, but if we sense a potential mis-match by all means shift him onto a wing.

I think this is how I see him mainly being used by Eade as well but he can play in a variety of positions.

Harbrow_hero
28-12-2007, 07:56 PM
has he baulked up at all over the preseason so far?

GVGjr
28-12-2007, 08:42 PM
has he baulked up at all over the preseason so far?

Added 4kg from what I have been told. He's a good size now.

LostDoggy
28-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Mobile CHF? How much smaller is he than Chris Grant in his early years?

GVGjr
29-12-2007, 12:07 AM

Grant was a FF for his first couple of years. Everitt needs at least another season (prefer 2 more) before being able to handle the CHF role.
Grant moved to a half forward role alongside of Coleman as well.

hujsh
29-12-2007, 12:36 AM

They are listed at the same height currently

LostDoggy
29-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Grant was a FF for his first couple of years. Everitt needs at least another season (prefer 2 more) before being able to handle the CHF role.
Grant moved to a half forward role alongside of Coleman as well.

I realise Grant was FF in the early years, just thought it would be easier for Everitt to be a mobile CHF. He is 3yrs away from being a geniune key position player. Would prefer that to Will (couldnt catch a cold in Antartica) Minson playing forward.

Dogs 24/7
29-12-2007, 01:12 PM
They are listed at the same height currently
I read somewhere that the club said Everitt grew to 195 cm during the season.

Dogs 24/7
29-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I realise Grant was FF in the early years, just thought it would be easier for Everitt to be a mobile CHF. He is 3yrs away from being a geniune key position player. Would prefer that to Will (couldnt catch a cold in Antartica) Minson playing forward.

While I agree that Minson isnt a great mark and Im stunned that Eade thinks he can add value to the forward line to dismiss Minson like this just isnt called for.

hujsh
29-12-2007, 01:53 PM
I read somewhere that the club said Everitt grew to 195 cm during the season.

That's good. That makes him well and truly a KPP now

westdog54
29-12-2007, 02:17 PM
While I agree that Minson isnt a great mark and Im stunned that Eade thinks he can add value to the forward line to dismiss Minson like this just isnt called for.

Have you come to expect any less from the person delivering the call?

LostDoggy
29-12-2007, 03:06 PM

I might of been harsh, but it was fair. He isnt a good mark. Sorry Westdog54 also

CraigW
29-12-2007, 06:57 PM
I think he should make a move up forward. We need a player of his skill and size between the wing and 50 metre line, because this is where we fail to maintain any consistency.

Dogs 24/7
29-12-2007, 09:16 PM
I think he should make a move up forward. We need a player of his skill and size between the wing and 50 metre line, because this is where we fail to maintain any consistency.
There is no reason why he couldnt play as a tall forward flanker.

Dogs 24/7
29-12-2007, 09:24 PM
I might of been harsh, but it was fair. He isnt a good mark. Sorry Westdog54 also

Cant you just say he isnt a good mark ? Most would agree with you and I know that I would.

Bulldog Revolution
30-12-2007, 12:33 AM

I liked the Embley comparison Borgy in terms of being a tall utility type who finds a way to influence the game. I kind of wonder if Shaggy could play as that Embley type?

As he is probably still physically underdeveloped I think Everitt just has to be moved around to where he can be most useful, but a spot as a rebounding defender seems ideal.

FrediKanoute
03-01-2008, 09:13 PM
One thing Everitt has in spades is versatility. His height, mobility and skills mean that he is suited to a number of positions and it really is a matter of experience, body conditioning and fitness which will determine how much of a success he it. I agree that probably for the next few seasons Everitt will play backline/wing, but ultimately I'd like to see to the guy move into much more influential roles. In terms of build and skills he reminds a lot of a young James Hird, that good mix of height, skill and mobility. All that he lacks really is that confidence and belief which Hird had in his ability to turn a game! Ideally whilst I see Everitt as a dfender winger now I think I'd ultimately like to see the guy as a roaming forward/midfielder.