PDA

View Full Version : Lin Jong Weighing Up His Options

bulldogtragic
30-09-2016, 05:49 PM
www.afl.com.au

WESTERN Bulldogs midfielder Lin Jong admits he may have played his final game for the side after being overlooked for Saturday's Grand Final.

Jong, who appears likely to seek a trade at the end of the season, has been named as an emergency for the premiership decider after recovering from a collarbone injury sustained in the first week of the finals.

He pressed his claim with a best afield performance in last week's VFL Grand Final, but was unable to force his way into the side.

The 23-year-old is happy the Bulldogs has made their first Grand Final in 55 years, but concedes his time at Whitten Oval may be up.

"I guess you could say there's a possibility but I'm still weighing up all my options," he told AAP at Friday's Grand Final parade.

"At the end of the day, I want to choose what I feel will be best for me.

"I'm really happy for the team. I'm part of the team, along with every other boy at the club, who was along for this process of making the Grand Final.

"(But) It doesn't affect my decision, I don't reckon."

Jong toured Collingwood's facilities midway through the season but has also been linked to Gold Coast and is sure to attract plenty of interest in the trade period.

The speedy midfielder hopes he might still be called upon as an emergency after experiencing the pain of being told by Beveridge he wouldn't be playing in the Grand Final.

"Obviously (I was) a bit upset after it but I still understood his perspective," he said.

"The team's been playing so well so it was hard to change the team, which I completely understand. That's just life sometimes."

bulldogtragic
30-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Sounds like a bloke who isn't staying is the way I read the comments. GCS being mentioned with their crazy number of top 30 picks is probably the best value trading partner as I think they really need someone like him even more so now.

azabob
30-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Sounds like a bloke who isn't staying is the way I read the comments. GCS being mentioned with their crazy number of top 30 picks is probably the best value trading partner as I think they really need someone like him even more so now.

Are you flipping and flopping with each article / quote you read?

1eyedog
30-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Yep gone and I'm kinda glad he's not playing tomorrow if that's the case.

soupman
30-09-2016, 07:14 PM
I doubt with these fringe guys that it's as cut and dry as purely wanting to stay or go.

Our squad seems very tight knit and a great place to be, but as a consequence of the excellent depth anybody fringe is going to be limited for what the club can promise them in gametime and money. I'd imagine that guys like Hrovat and Jong would prefer to stay, but are getting pretty good offers from elsewhere that would be difficult to pass up.

bulldogtragic
30-09-2016, 07:32 PM
Are you flipping and flopping with each article / quote you read?

This is a direct quote from him. Hamling & Smith haven't officially signed, but they've said they're staying 100%. Jong wants to do "what will be best for me". Polar opposite comments.

GVGjr
30-09-2016, 07:43 PM
This is a direct quote from him. Hamling & Smith haven't officially signed, but they've said they're staying 100%. Jong wants to do "what will be best for me". Polar opposite comments.

I don't think that paints him in the right light. He's on the outer of selection. I'd argue that Hamling and Smith have been told they are in our plans going forward and I doubt Jong has had that confirmed convincingly.

bulldogtragic
30-09-2016, 07:47 PM
I don't think that paints him in the right light. He's on the outer of selection. I'd argue that Hamling and Smith have been told they are in our plans going forward and I doubt Jong has had that confirmed convincingly.

All I'm saying is a player saying his decision is about what's best for him makes some alarm bells go off in my mind that he's a good chance to go. To be unemotional, his trade value may never be higher with his best afield in the VFL GF. So if he wants out, we may get a decent return, especially if it's GCS.

bornadog
30-09-2016, 07:53 PM

There was a glimpse of training today and Bevo had his arm around Jong and they were walking along and talking.

GVGjr
30-09-2016, 08:25 PM
All I'm saying is a player saying his decision is about what's best for him makes some alarm bells go off in my mind that he's a good chance to go. To be unemotional, his trade value may never be higher with his best afield in the VFL GF. So if he wants out, we may get a decent return, especially if it's GCS.

I still don't see that as a fair indication of Jongs character and the position he finds himself in but it's your call

GVGjr
30-09-2016, 08:27 PM
There was a glimpse of training today and Bevo had his arm around Jong and they were walking along and talking.

That love that Bevo shares with players would almost certainly be one of the reason why Cloke is keen to come to us after a couple of rough years with Buckley.

bulldogtragic
30-09-2016, 08:30 PM
I still don't see that as a fair indication of Jongs character and the position he finds himself in but it's your call

I genuinely don't know what the character assertion is that I'm holding out, because I'm not trying to make one. I'm just obviously inarticulately saying or trying to say that reading that article makes me think he might be playing elsewhere. No more, no less.

bornadog
30-09-2016, 09:46 PM
I genuinely don't know what the character assertion is that I'm holding out, because I'm not trying to make one. I'm just obviously inarticulately saying or trying to say that reading that article makes me think he might be playing elsewhere. No more, no less.

Those sort of articles misquote, take things out of context and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Lets wait and see, besides his mum said he will be at the club next year

ledge
01-10-2016, 01:59 AM
His mum told me she doesn't know what he is doing but his dream is to play in a premiership side .. If that's the case why leave to go to the pies or GC when we are building an era that certainly has a better outlook on those two teams.
Bevo has said he wants him to stay .. So it's probably safe to say it's a big offer he has been made or the club has been offered a very good deal from another club.
I Believe we have offered him a two year deal and Collingwood offered 3 .
Is it the flag he wants or a longer contract with maybe more money.
It's a confusing.
If it's a flag it's a no brainer and let's face it if he didn't get injured he would be playing.

Topdog
01-10-2016, 08:20 AM
Hard decision but geez is good to finally be the club that has fringe players that other teams want

SonofScray
01-10-2016, 09:18 AM
Agree with BT. Reading that article, it strikes me that he is going. I want him to stay and see a role for him on our list, and in our best 22 over a season. That being said, we need access to earlier picks while we are up the ladder and "flipping" a guy like Jong (Stevens my preference) makes a lot of sense.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Ch7 reporting GCS chasing Jong hard. If he takes them up on their offer this year, we might get some decent value.

G-Mo77
02-10-2016, 09:42 PM
I'm going up and down on this. I have good word he does not want to go but then this article and watching him yesterday post game, his tears seemed more than just joy. Hope he stays though!

Ghost Dog
02-10-2016, 11:15 PM
When he started, I thought he would never make it. Looked like Djekurra ( spelling? ) MK II.

FrediKanoute
02-10-2016, 11:47 PM
OK, Jong is a good player, but Dunkley/Smith really have him covered. Add in Lukas Webb as another inside mid, plus Mitch Wallis coming back late next year and the potential father-son recruits of Olly Liberatore, Rhylee West and Romero's kid, we are going to be chock a block with inside mids. His loss will affect depth next year, but we should be able to cover provided we don't have too many injuries.

If we got a decent trade for him I would let him go. I would find a trade for him.

ledge
03-10-2016, 05:47 AM
I don't want him to go but if he does, make it GC they have so many draft picks we will get overs for him.
Collingwood have nothing to offer they used all theirs on Treloar.
Cloke if we take him ( things might change now) we will be giving Collingwood a very low pick 70s?
We can be in a very strong position in the draft or getting players across from other clubs.. On another note do we actually need to trade at all with the list we have and Crameri coming back.

G-Mo77
03-10-2016, 05:54 AM
If we have the chance to make our team even better then yeah we trade. This season could have easily not gone the way it did. The comp was so even and teams are improving we'll need to continue to improve.

LostDoggy
03-10-2016, 08:27 AM
If we have the chance to make our team even better then yeah we trade. This season could have easily not gone the way it did. The comp was so even and teams are improving we'll need to continue to improve.

Agree we need to trade, but with Murphy, Adams and Crameri to add, maybe Cloke and Collins also (with Wallis and Redpath later on), I wouldn't be disappointed if our trading was to move on 3-4 depth players with the most currency in trade for the best available draft picks. If we can give Dal 3 top 30 picks this draft and regenerate from the bottom up again, that may be our best play long term.

comrade
03-10-2016, 08:46 AM
At GC, he'll be a first selection tier mid for the next 5 years for them, given Prestia and JOM are out the door.

If opportunity is what he's seeking, they're definitely his best option. If he wants to be close to family, he should just stay with us. Opportunities will present themselves, it's a matter of Jong taking them.

I'm ambivalent. He's quality depth and is clearly a good character, and is a good fit for us as a multicultural and socially progressive club. But we need to keep improving the list and I'm confident Dalrymple can find a gem if we were to secure a pick in the 20s.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2016, 09:32 AM
At GC, he'll be a first selection tier mid for the next 5 years for them, given Prestia and JOM are out the door.

If opportunity is what he's seeking, they're definitely his best option. If he wants to be close to family, he should just stay with us. Opportunities will present themselves, it's a matter of Jong taking them.

I'm ambivalent. He's quality depth and is clearly a good character, and is a good fit for us as a multicultural and socially progressive club. But we need to keep improving the list and I'm confident Dalrymple can find a gem if we were to secure a pick in the 20s.

He GCS traded down a high pick (circa 9) to 18 with all their other picks or traded one of 21/22/24/28 I'm more than confident that Dalrymple with make another great selection. If he stays I'm happy, but a first round trade up or good second rounder I'm happy with too.

always right
03-10-2016, 01:18 PM
My money is on him staying.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Fox Sports have reported that Jong and Collingwood isn't an option. He is staying or going to GCS. Reading between the lines Collingwood can't match whatever the trade offer to our club (picks) and him (years/dollars) is. So he stays or we get a decent trade. Watch this space I guess.

G-Mo77
03-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Fox Sports have reported that Jong and Collingwood isn't an option. He is staying or going to GCS. Reading between the lines Collingwood can't match whatever the trade offer to our club (picks) and him (years/dollars) is. So he stays or we get a decent trade. Watch this space I guess.

Or they don't have a list spot. They're linked to every player out of contract.

GVGjr
03-10-2016, 08:08 PM
Or they don't have a list spot. They're linked to every player out of contract.

They think they have a great chance of landing WHE. Jong might be considered if that fell through

MrMahatma
04-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Would rather keep Rat than Jong. I think we have Jong more than covered and reckon his value is Bing inflated by his injury and the story. He butchers the ball as much as anyone.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 01:33 PM
AFL.com.au reporting that Lin wants a 'guarantee' of senior footy. GCS list manager today has confirmed they've met with Lin & his manager and have strong interest.

bornadog
06-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Guarantee? Got to work for your position.

LostDoggy
06-10-2016, 02:04 PM
I think the headline was misleading to the article, but honestly almost no one is guaranteed a spot in the side? Especially not a fringe player.....

hujsh
06-10-2016, 02:09 PM
It probably would be a win win for Lin to go to GC.

It may be seen as a loss for us in the future as I can see him becoming a very good player once there but he doesn't seem to be likely to get the opportunities he'd need to develop as a player if he stayed here.

GC need guys like Lin and seem to have a surplus of picks so Lin gets what he wants, has an opportunity to develop, gives GC something they need and we should get something of value in return.

With guys coming though like Webb who can play Jong's role but use the ball better we shouldn't feel his loss too much. Jong's point of difference was his pace but he has rarely utilized it since the start of last year, often acting as the first or second player in the handball chain and rarely using the ball well once he gets it.

I'd be happy to keep him but it might be better for all involved if he goes. Guess it depends on the importance of the family/home factor on his performance/happiness though.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 02:12 PM

I think the headline was misleading to the article, but honestly almost no one is guaranteed a spot in the side? Especially not a fringe player.....

The only guarantee he's going to get about getting games is from GCS. That guarantee also comes with guaranteed ongoing failure as a club. Double edged sword.

Topdog
06-10-2016, 02:23 PM
With GC having 6 picks in the top 27 we could get a very decent package for Lin

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 02:29 PM
With GC having 6 picks in the top 27 we could get a very decent package for Lin

Yep. Maybe an upgrade from pick 18 to pick 9 (with them having 4, 6, 14 and in that scenario 18 - so they still have 4 first rounders). Or a straight pick for a second rounder of theirs: 21, 22, 24 or 27.

Hartlett has already told gcs no, so as their targets reduce down in numbers Jong's value increases.

comrade
06-10-2016, 02:36 PM
Yep. Maybe an upgrade from pick 18 to pick 9 (with them having 4, 6, 14 and in that scenario 18 - so they still have 4 first rounders). Or a straight pick for a second rounder of theirs: 21, 22, 24 or 27.

Hartlett has already told gcs no, so as their targets reduce down in numbers Jong's value increases.

Jong + 18 for 3 picks in the 20s?

hujsh
06-10-2016, 02:47 PM

2 would be more realistic IMO.

comrade
06-10-2016, 02:51 PM
2 would be more realistic IMO.

Will come down to how many list spots they have and how much Jong's value increases as other players become unavailable.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-10-2016, 02:57 PM

I'm guessing there is a bit of journalistic license with the 'guarantee' but. I'm sure neither Lin or his manager are naive enough to presume ANYONE has a permanently guaranteed spot in the 22. However I would not be surprised if they are asking the club where they see Lin siting in the pecking order. That is, if all things being equal and he's in form and the team has a full complement to choose from - does the club see him as likely to be in their best 22?
A fair question to ask, especially if Gold Coast were to convey to his management that they see him as best 22 on form.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 03:02 PM

Depends if Dal likes a top 10 kid if we could upgrade to 9. But on your point of 23, 25 & 28 with Brisbane getting 19 as a PP.

I think of him about on par with Tom Bell - That trade to Brisbane was Bell & 41 for 21 & 60. So if we move around the second/third round maybe.

Jong, 18 & 37 - for - 23, 25, 28 & 41. So GCS get Jong as well as two upgrades in the first and second rounds (23/18 & 41/37) for an extra 250 draft points. For Jong, a 5 pick upgrade into the first round and a 4 pick upgrade into the second round, GCS would part with 25 & 28.

Dogs: 23, 25, 28 & 41 (60)
GCS: 4, 6, 9, 14, 18, 21, 37 and Jong

Something like this?

comrade
06-10-2016, 03:16 PM
Depends if Dal likes a top 10 kid if we could upgrade to 9. But on your point of 23, 25 & 28 with Brisbane getting 19 as a PP.

I think of him about on par with Tom Bell - That trade to Brisbane was Bell & 41 for 21 & 60. So if we move around the second/third round maybe.

Jong, 18 & 37 - for - 23, 25, 28 & 41. So GCS get Jong as well as two upgrades in the first and second rounds (23/18 & 41/37) for an extra 250 draft points. For Jong, a 5 pick upgrade into the first round and a 4 pick upgrade into the second round, GCS would part with 25 & 28.

Something like this?

I would do that in a heart beat.

Topdog
06-10-2016, 03:57 PM
I would do that in a heart beat.

As would I and looking at it you'd have to say GCS would too.

As a side note where are people getting their draft orders from? GC have a different lot of picks than you guys are suggesting on the afl site
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-05/indicative-2016-afl-draft-order

hujsh
06-10-2016, 04:34 PM

Something like this?

Don't we need to use a 1st round pick this year with the 2 in 4 rule?

Mofra
06-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Don't we need to use a 1st round pick this year with the 2 in 4 rule?
No, the rule only came in last year so if we trade it out this year we have to use them in the next 2 years.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 08:08 PM
Jong has been formally offered a 3 year deal at Gold Coast, with a pitch about getting games. Not sure we can compete with that, or want to compete with that.

Option 1) Seek upgrade from pick 18 to pick 9 and send Dal to get another top 10 gun.
Option 2) Package up picks to stockpile second rounders which Dal has been nailing.
Option 3) Look at offers on Prestia & Jaeger, using Jong and pick 18.
Option 4) Get involved in three way trades with Jaeger & Prestia, to get a player from Richmond or Hawthorn.

chef
06-10-2016, 08:14 PM
Any chance he walks there in the PSD?

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 08:34 PM

I guess there is, but he's got to get to GCS at 4. If he still loves the club, but he wants more games, I'd like to think he wouldn't do that to us.

azabob
06-10-2016, 08:42 PM

I'd be more concerned about Stevens walking the PSD.

Having said that I wouldn't be too fussed if both walked and we got zero in return (I think Im still on my GF high)....

Webby
06-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Jong has been formally offered a 3 year deal at Gold Coast, with a pitch about getting games. Not sure we can compete with that.

I'd disagree on that point. Jongy played the majority of games in our best 22 this year and only missed going beyond the first final due to injury. He was quite stiff to miss out on the GF and has the opportunity to play in more GF's at his home.

If I was Jong, I'd stay put, back myself to be a five year player and test myself up at the pointy end of the ladder.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 09:16 PM
I'd disagree on that point. Jongy played the majority of games in our best 22 this year and only missed going beyond the first final due to injury. He was quite stiff to miss out on the GF and has the opportunity to play in more GF's at his home.

If I was Jong, I'd stay put, back myself to be a five year player and test myself up at the pointy end of the ladder.

I would too if I was Jong. But that's not what I said. He and his manager have stated the need for the dogs to deliver regular games. We can't make this guarantee and our offer is two years. GCS are offering a longer contract, probably better money and offer him a more certain guarantee of senior games. In light of that, my money is on him leaving amicably and hopefully a decent trade somehow.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-10-2016, 10:15 AM

It would be very disappointing to see Lin Jong end up at the GCS. Apart from his injury late in the season may well have been in our best 22.Jong may lack a little skill but has the tenacity and determination to become a regular senior player.

hujsh
07-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Jong has been formally offered a 3 year deal at Gold Coast, with a pitch about getting games. Not sure we can compete with that, or want to compete with that.

Option 1) Seek upgrade from pick 18 to pick 9 and send Dal to get another top 10 gun.
Option 2) Package up picks to stockpile second rounders which Dal has been nailing.
Option 3) Look at offers on Prestia & Jaeger, using Jong and pick 18.
Option 4) Get involved in three way trades with Jaeger & Prestia, to get a player from Richmond or Hawthorn.

Had me worried you were talking about trading Dahlhaus when I read that. Thought you'd gone right off the deep end

bulldogtragic
07-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Had me worried you were talking about trading Dahlhaus when I read that. Thought you'd gone right off the deep end

Yeah, but nah. Fwiw I'm a long way off the deep end already and I can't swim! :D

Mofra
07-10-2016, 12:01 PM

I like Jong but I can't see how he gets there.
Our Premiership 22 will be there next year, with Dunckley set to be best 22 after another pre-season. Webb has huge upside, Wallis will come back to the side 2018, and we're likely to hit the draft and pick up a burst mid in the next year in the first round which knowing Dal will be a smashing success.

jeemak
07-10-2016, 01:37 PM
I agree with Mofra. Jong and his management can see the writing on the wall in terms of likely opportunity within our club from a playing and pay perspective.

It's a good move for him, I wish him all the best.

bornadog
07-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Re- signed for two years

Topdog
07-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Re- signed for two years

Very nice!

bulldogtragic
07-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Very nice!

Knocked back an extra year and more money from GCS. Good stuff Lin.

AndrewP6
07-10-2016, 11:09 PM
Close thread! On ya Jongy!!