PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - AFL 2016 Grand Final - Sydney Swans vs Western Bulldogs

Eastdog
30-09-2016, 05:55 PM
This is the AFL 2016 Grand Final edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the grand final against Sydney Swans is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
01-10-2016, 01:40 PM
First up a huge thanks to Easty and BT for their tireless work throughout the season organising these threads each week. Its been more than appreciated.
Please give your 3 Bankers and 3 Anchors for our Grand Final effort today.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2016, 01:54 AM
B

A complete 22 player effort
Bevo, Bob & Wood
Premiers for at least 12 months
Making the term Shocktober a positive one

A

If you can find fault in this euphoria.... None!!

Ghost Dog
02-10-2016, 01:56 AM
I cannot post anything. Too many thoughts overwhelming me

EasternWest
02-10-2016, 03:00 AM
I cannot post anything. Too many thoughts overwhelming me

I love you GD.

Eastdog
02-10-2016, 03:08 AM
Everyone the whole club inside and out. So many people behind the scenes that were involved in this premiership

Bankers

Tom Boyd - Is worth all the money now. Great game and has a great future

JJ - His run was just excellent

Morris, Picken, Hamling - Instrumental

We are finally premiers!!!

Anchors

Nothing tonight. We have done it.

EasternWest
02-10-2016, 03:17 AM
22 Bankers. No Anchors.

hujsh
02-10-2016, 03:39 AM
I'll come up with an anchor.

Josh Dunkley walking in and winning a premiership in his first year. Making it look so easy. That's not how this works mate. It's not meant to be that easy.

comrade
02-10-2016, 09:49 AM
This weekend, there are no anchors.

chef
02-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Bankers.

BT. Thanks buddy.

The Western Bulldogs. Yeah baby.

Ryan Griffen. You helped create this, thank you so much.

G-Mo77
02-10-2016, 10:37 AM
This weekend, there are no anchors.

I could find room for some corporate knobs barracking for Sydney 2 rows back. Absolute wankers.

LostDoggy
02-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Bankers:
The Club
The Players
The Staff
The Supporters

Anchors:

N/A

bulldogtragic
02-10-2016, 11:44 AM
B

The front page photos. Most boys holding up one finger, like the Hawks guys at 1, 2, 3, 4 fingers per flag. I love the confidence that this is number 1 of our run!

Ghost Dog
02-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Bankers
- players for their efforts
- club
- woof forum members, all fans.

Anchors - None!

Ghost Dog
02-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Bankers
- players for their efforts
- club
- woof forum members, all fans.

Anchors - None!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Bankers

The unshakeable, yet non arrogant self-belief of this group.

The whole approach by the club to the finals series was refreshing. As was the response by the greater public. I think this is the first time we have, as a club, been embraced by broader Australia in such a positive set of circumstances.

The players, all of them, for helping to not only break our premiership drought, but for producing a win for the ages, a performance that was truly one of the greatest in the annals of football.

They shook up the world!

No anchors..none

LostDoggy
02-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Bankers: EVERYONE/ EVERYTHING. I even found the Swans supporters to be good- a lot congratulated me on the win on their way out.

Anchors: None. Not a single thing.

LostDoggy
02-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Oh I actually do have one anchor: WHAT THE HELL DO I DO WITH MY LIFE NOW FOR THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

The Underdog
02-10-2016, 05:13 PM
Bankers:
Shane Biggs- his two smothers and hard ball get in the lead up to the Picken goal with about 7 minutes to go was amazing
Zaine - for the first tackle and the conversion
Bevo- what a guy

bulldogtragic
02-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Bankers:

Umpires - 20 to 8 free kicks in our favour.

G-Mo77
02-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Bankers:

Umpires - 20 to 8 free kicks in our favour.

I've heard a little bit of a moan about that. Watching the replay and as unbiased as possible. Hunter's throw in the first and the slide on Wood in the 4th were the onlyones I've seen missed which were pretty obvious ones. We got a goal taken off, how they saw anything obvious to overturn the original decision I'll never know. Then throw in Buddy's 10 seconds to get rid of the ball, Kennedy as well we had just as much to moan about. Using the count free count to say the umpiring was uneven is laughable.

merantau
02-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Bankers

Whole club
Tom Boyd - he has had a massive two weeks. He was Herculean against GWS and he played like a Titan in the biggest game of the year on the biggest stage. Silenced all the doubters, strode the big stage like a Colossus. Kicked the sealer with a long bomb from inside the square - an emphatic performance.
Dale Morris - how tough is this man? He has been to the well so many times for us and still the well has not run dry. He is simply magnificent
Shane Biggs - his role in the lead up to the last goal was superhuman. He made FOUR efforts! Biggsie you are a legend.
Joel Hamling. I salute you bro. You were immense down back from go to whoa and gave the game's superstar a bath. Well done son, you were heroic.
Every player did SOMETHING!
I AM OVERJOYED! GO DOGS!

Hotdog60
02-10-2016, 08:17 PM
I've heard a little bit of a moan about that. Watching the replay and as unbiased as possible. Hunter's throw in the first and the slide on Wood in the 4th were the onlyones I've seen missed which were pretty obvious ones. We got a goal taken off, how they saw anything obvious to overturn the original decision I'll never know. Then throw in Buddy's 10 seconds to get rid of the ball, Kennedy as well we had just as much to moan about. Using the count free count to say the umpiring was uneven is laughable.

TBH I thought that the umpires did a very good job, I hardly noticed them in the context of the game. Hard to say if I would think different if I was a Swans supporter. I just thought we were first to the ball on more occasions.

FrediKanoute
02-10-2016, 11:43 PM
TBH I thought that the umpires did a very good job, I hardly noticed them in the context of the game. Hard to say if I would think different if I was a Swans supporter. I just thought we were first to the ball on more occasions.

Being honest we got a good deal from the umpires. Not only those decisions that were paid, but also those that weren't. That said, whilst it helped it didn't decide the result - we would have won if the free kick count had been the other way.

Interesting there were no deliberate out of bounds.....

bornadog
03-10-2016, 12:33 AM
Bankers

The Footscray Football Club trading as Western Bulldogs

Anchors

All the So called experts that never ever rated us throughout the year and through the finals - up yours

soupman
03-10-2016, 01:19 AM
Being honest we got a good deal from the umpires. Not only those decisions that were paid, but also those that weren't. That said, whilst it helped it didn't decide the result - we would have won if the free kick count had been the other way.

I thought so too, and considering my biased pov that means we did very well from the umpires.

I thought their biggest stuff up was not paying Grundy that excellent one handed mark, allowing us to snap a goal. I felt very guilty celebrating that goal, but I gave it a good go anyway.

Sedat
03-10-2016, 02:28 AM
Bankers:

Biggs - his 4-5 massive defensive efforts in the lead-up to Picken's first goal of the last qtr were immense. Smothered a kick, smothered a handball, laid a tackle and forced the ball to remain in our forward line. The ball eventually got to Picken in some space for the opportunity

Bont - in a game of massive pressure and a lot of errors, he played a flawless, error-free game and had a hand in many of our scores. Add in 7 tackles and 6 clearances (same amount as Kennedy) and it was easily single most underrated performance in the GF

Stringer - the truism of "it's not your day but it can be your moment" was no better exemplified that with Stringer on GF day. He was having an absolute mare but he continued to work hard defensively as the game wore on and made his moments really count in the last qtr. The finish around the corner was sublime, the lead-up to Picko's goal was due to Stringer working hard defensively to keep the ball in our forward line and then he centred the ball to ice the game.

No anchors this week

Remi Moses
03-10-2016, 04:43 AM
Bankers - where do you start ?
Peter Gordon, Irene Chatfield , David Smorgon and everyone who has saved the club
Tom Boyd , The pressure on this kid was insane
The players - Thank you and you'll never know just how happy you've made us

Anchors - absolutely none
Footnote- thank you media

G-Mo77
03-10-2016, 05:39 AM
I thought so too, and considering my biased pov that means we did very well from the umpires.

I thought their biggest stuff up was not paying Grundy that excellent one handed mark, allowing us to snap a goal. I felt very guilty celebrating that goal, but I gave it a good go anyway.

That one spilled out. I did not think it was a mark.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Bankers

The Footscray Football Club trading as Western Bulldogs

Anchors

All the So called experts that never ever rated us throughout the year and through the finals - up yours

My 83yo grandfather bet on us every week. He's a doubly happy man!

1eyedog
03-10-2016, 10:20 AM
That one spilled out. I did not think it was a mark.

I was 50/50 on it. Did not look to hold it quite long enough and thought the decision could go either way.

LostDoggy
03-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Bankers have been well covered.

Anchors were craps ground deals, unfair playing field with excessive handouts to Northern clubs, recent (50 year) club history of failing to rise to the big occassion. Massive anchors, but not enough to hold down Bevo and these boys !!!!!

BornInDroopSt'54
03-10-2016, 12:02 PM
"The Banker", my deceased brother, would have seen this victory coming two years ago with the list development, the recruitment of Bevo and the support of Gordonand Alberti. He would have been thrilled with the game and together we would have wept with joy.
RIP Tim.

bornadog
03-10-2016, 12:43 PM
I was 50/50 on it. Did not look to hold it quite long enough and thought the decision could go either way.

Watching the replay, I don't think it was a mark.

Ozza
03-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Bankers:

Biggs - his 4-5 massive defensive efforts in the lead-up to Picken's first goal of the last qtr were immense. Smothered a kick, smothered a handball, laid a tackle and forced the ball to remain in our forward line. The ball eventually got to Picken in some space for the opportunity

Bont - in a game of massive pressure and a lot of errors, he played a flawless, error-free game and had a hand in many of our scores. Add in 7 tackles and 6 clearances (same amount as Kennedy) and it was easily single most underrated performance in the GF

Stringer - the truism of "it's not your day but it can be your moment" was no better exemplified that with Stringer on GF day. He was having an absolute mare but he continued to work hard defensively as the game wore on and made his moments really count in the last qtr. The finish around the corner was sublime, the lead-up to Picko's goal was due to Stringer working hard defensively to keep the ball in our forward line and then he centred the ball to ice the game.

No anchors this week

Glad you mentioned the Bont. In a hectic game - he was such a cool head. Wednesday night will be such a celebration - and even better, it will be the Bont's first Charlie Sutton Medal, in no less than a premiership year - at 20 years of age.

Did people notice that he changed his boots at half time? Changed from the greens, to the reds. Reckon those boots might be worth something!!

always right
03-10-2016, 12:49 PM
We definitely got the rub of the green with the umpires......and I couldn't give a stuff.

bornadog
03-10-2016, 12:51 PM
We definitely got the rub of the green with the umpires......and I couldn't give a stuff.

My mate who is not a Bulldog supporter and (ex umpire not AFL) said we should have got more free kicks. :eek:

Ozza
03-10-2016, 12:51 PM

We have certainly had a season of getting the best run most weeks. But that happens when you become a good team. Hawthorn and Geelong have been getting a great run for years.

I can't really remember a game all year where I've been filthy at the umpiring. There were some ridiculous decisions in the round 23 game v Freo - but aside from that - we get a good run.

S Coast Simon
03-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Bankers:
Shane Biggs- his two smothers and hard ball get in the lead up to the Picken goal with about 7 minutes to go was amazing
Zaine - for the first tackle and the conversion
Bevo- what a guy

I watched the Biggs moment and thought it was huge. The two smothers and the hard ball get all leading up to a goal, what a massive effort that was.

The whole organisation needs a big Banker. What an outstanding club they have created. A win for the ladies a win for Footscray then a win for the seniors. What a day there were people in tears all round the country. But when Bevo gave Bob his medal there wasn't a dry eye in the MCG even Swans people shed a tear. Im lost for what to do now.

Anchor for Bruce he never recognises the play leading up to the goal he only screams love for the finishers never for the workers

bornadog
03-10-2016, 12:54 PM
We have certainly had a season of getting the best run most weeks. But that happens when you become a good team. Hawthorn and Geelong have been getting a great run for years.

I can't really remember a game all year where I've been filthy at the umpiring. There were some ridiculous decisions in the round 23 game v Freo - but aside from that - we get a good run.

I like the way the ridiculous decision this year to change the interpretation of deliberate out of bounds, was no where to be seen in the GF.

chef
03-10-2016, 03:33 PM
So glad they didn't many contact below the knee frees, stupidest rule in footy.

EasternWest
03-10-2016, 03:35 PM
So glad they didn't many contact below the knee frees, stupidest rule in footy.

Agree. Didn't like Hannebery hurting his knee, but the whole idea of penalising a guy for being more desperate is ridiculous.

LostDoggy
03-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Bankers-

Everyone associated with the Western Bulldogs Football Club.

Anchors-

Nothing to see here! :cool:

Dancin' Douggy
03-10-2016, 05:26 PM
BANKERS.

BOYD.

The fairy tale on top of the fairy tale. All that pressure, all that criticism, I mean people had ALREADY decided the deal was a flop. He's only 20 years old! So..........with the entire nation watching, including those two absolute arseholes, Greg Denham, and Damien Barrett, TOM TURNS IT ON. His second half was colossal. All those contested marks that were rock solid, and a Monster goal from inside the centre square which pretty much sealed the PREMIERSHIP. I'll say that again............................... THE PREMIERSHIP.
And the swans two million dollar men both fizzle like damp heat beads

HAMLING.
Playing in just his 24th (I think) game. On perhaps the best player in the competition. Giving away 3cm in height, 223 games in experience, and 19 kilos of muscle. Hamling kept his cool and played a very clever, even tempered and disciplined game on Buddy, and towelled him up. There were a few moments of Buddy brilliance but they were few and far between, and often well out of dangerous range. Which was often due to Hamling's clever positioning. He was just great.

THE SUPPORTERS
We were awesome. The loudest crowd I've ever HEARD at the grand final. And the mightiest army of red white and blue I've ever SEEN at the Whitten oval the next day. I was in standing room with my 3 kids, 16, 12 and 9. The people around us were just so decent and friendly, let the kids have a good view. I was hugging complete strangers. After one goal, the bloke next to me just grabbed me unexpectedly, and shook me so hard my beer went ALL OVER the woman in front of me. Do you think she cared? NO!

I Would also like to say the Swans supporters around me were pretty good too. They shook hands and said congratulations , well done etc. And when I took my kids down to the front after the siren, the same thing happened, there were respectful nods, and handshakes all round. I also noticed many of them stayed for the whole presentation ceremony, which I thought was quite impressive.

ANCHORS.

JJ'S DISALLOWED GOAL.
That was just so stupid and soul destroying. Should never have happened.
If the goal umpire says it's a goal. And there's no protest. And it's up on the scoreboard. And the players are all in place for the centre bounce. IT'S A F%$#$ING GOAL. For some idiot up there to decide to get the hubble space telescope out, to check if every molecule of the ball had crossed the goal line, without being asked, in a close grand final, is just so anti the spirit of sport. it was a disgrace. And who was it? and why? I want to know.

TIPPET.
Does he even care?

that's it.

Ghost Dog
03-10-2016, 05:37 PM
"The Banker", my deceased brother, would have seen this victory coming two years ago with the list development, the recruitment of Bevo and the support of Gordonand Alberti. He would have been thrilled with the game and together we would have wept with joy.
RIP Tim.

I liked John Longmire's presser where he talked about perspective. Thanks for posting, sorry for your loss.

Sedat
04-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Glad you mentioned the Bont. In a hectic game - he was such a cool head. Wednesday night will be such a celebration - and even better, it will be the Bont's first Charlie Sutton Medal, in no less than a premiership year - at 20 years of age.

Did people notice that he changed his boots at half time? Changed from the greens, to the reds. Reckon those boots might be worth something!!
Just on the Bont, he also had 5 hitouts to advantage on Saturday going 3rd man up, making him the most effective stoppage ruckman on the ground. What an amazing player.

Ozza
04-10-2016, 12:32 PM
Just on the Bont, he also had 5 hitouts to advantage on Saturday going 3rd man up, making him the most effective stoppage ruckman on the ground. What an amazing player.

8 clearances, 7 tackles, 9 hitouts.

He's been extraordinary this season, and had a huge impact for us in the finals.

I am so thrilled to be going to the Charlie Sutton Medal to see him (surely) win his first club B&F. What he did this season, when we were depleted with injuries, is as good as I have seen of any bulldog.

He won us, or had a significant hand in, winning so many close games (Adelaide, West Coast, Port, Sydney, Collingwood).

Love the Bont.

KT31
08-10-2016, 12:22 PM
My mate who is not a Bulldog supporter and (ex umpire not AFL) said we should have got more free kicks. :eek:

I thought we should have got a couple against Buddy and Tippet for man handling and hands in the back.

comrade
08-10-2016, 12:24 PM
We got 2 or 3 frees in the last couple of minutes when the game was over. Take them out and it's 17-8 and people are crying a lot less.

bornadog
08-10-2016, 02:01 PM
We got 2 or 3 frees in the last couple of minutes when the game was over. Take them out and it's 17-8 and people are crying a lot less.

I don't give a stuff about the sooks, it was our time for once.:)

Ozza
10-10-2016, 04:06 PM
I don't give a stuff about the sooks, it was our time for once.:)

I agree!

We've been the 'sooks' about the Saints prelim (Riewoldt & the Aker deliberate), the Cats (Max Rooke & Johno) and the Crows (libba point/goal)....and for all the complaining and sooking - nobody really cares aside from the supporters that carry it around forever.

We won the game by enough that its not truly contentious - but in any case - we were long overdue to have the footy gods and the rub of the green, on our side in the finals!