PDA

View Full Version : Tom Boyd

Pages : [1] 2

1eyedog
01-10-2016, 10:11 PM
Have a look at what the big man did today. Oh yeah!

1eyedog
01-10-2016, 10:12 PM
Premier big man on the ground oh Yeah! Pay him out!

jeemak
01-10-2016, 10:25 PM
The fourth estate are all catching up for din dins, and roast, stir fried, deep fried, satay and honey soy words are on the menu.

It's a buffet set up, nobody will go hungry as there's enough words for everyone to chow down on!

Good on ya Boydy!

Rocket Science
01-10-2016, 10:56 PM
A special hello to Leigh Matthews, Purple Barrett and Resting Knobface Lloyd.

Twodogs
01-10-2016, 11:27 PM
A special hello to Leigh Matthews, Purple Barrett and Resting Knobface Lloyd.

Heh!

bornadog
01-10-2016, 11:29 PM
He was tremendous today, another goal and he would hve got the Norm Smith. Great to have a big man in the Grand Final

Twodogs
01-10-2016, 11:32 PM
He was tremendous today, another goal and he would hve got the Norm Smith. Great to have a big man in the Grand Final

Wasn't it great? After all these years we finally get ourselves a power forward who can ruck and hurt teams around the ground and we win a flag.

EasternWest
02-10-2016, 12:07 AM
The eagle has landed.

I'm so proud of you Tom.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2016, 12:13 AM
The eagle has landed.

I'm so proud of you Tom.

Proud is just the beginning. For the venom he gets, sometimes from our alleged supporters, and to face it and deliver in a premiership. 6 contested marks, ruck time, great goals including a 60m monster to clinch it. Just wow.

Three big men getting payed $900,000+ were on the ground. Tom was easily best. I hope the blowtorch is on them & those deals.

And he's on his p plates.

comrade
02-10-2016, 12:22 AM
The best story of the whole day, IMO. So happy for him.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2016, 12:25 AM
Love Maverick Wellers tweet: Give Boydy 2 Million

Astute recruiting to turn the Gryphone defection into a premiership.

hujsh
02-10-2016, 12:43 AM
Love Maverick Wellers tweet: Give Boydy 2 Million

Astute recruiting to turn the Gryphone defection into a premiership.

I said the same thing after his third

ledge
02-10-2016, 01:06 AM
can anyone contact Barrrett and tell him that's why we paid what we did !
And apologies are welcome !

bulldogtragic
02-10-2016, 03:07 AM
Humble pie from Robbo via Twitter:

Thoughts? That was then this is now... Like everyone rapt for very one who is a Bulldog.. #Humblepie

bulldogtragic
02-10-2016, 03:28 AM
Kevin Bartlett: Tom Boyd the million dollar man delivered big time and now is worth every cent . Bulldogs are premiers #bloodygood. Kb

Stevo: Tom Boyd just earned his entire contract

Titus O'Reilly: Tom Boyd should ask for a pay rise

Barret: ...... (Nothing)

Eastdog
02-10-2016, 03:31 AM
Tom was excellent today. Those marks he took were just so important in the context of the game yesterday. He will just get better.

hujsh
02-10-2016, 03:33 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-10-01/big-man-boyds-breakout-game
Watch and smile (or smile more)

LostDoggy
02-10-2016, 04:41 AM
Oh man I'm so happy for him and so proud! You did it, Tom!

westdog54
02-10-2016, 07:18 AM
Immense. Absolutely immense.

It would have been easy to drop his head after spilling that first mark. Real easy.

Instead, he picks himself up, dusts himself off, and flies for every mark he possibly can.

And doesn't put a foot wrong for the rest of the day.

Just an astonishing game.

If JJ doesn't explode in the last quarter T.Boyd becomes a P Plated Norm Smith medallist.

Elated for him.

BulldogBelle
02-10-2016, 08:02 AM
And he's only 20 years old

Imagine what he'll do in 5 years time

Flamethrower
02-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Tom Boyd was born to win premierships!!!

jeemak
02-10-2016, 08:26 AM
Immense. Absolutely immense.

It would have been easy to drop his head after spilling that first mark. Real easy.

Instead, he picks himself up, dusts himself off, and flies for every mark he possibly can.

And doesn't put a foot wrong for the rest of the day.

Just an astonishing game.

If JJ doesn't explode in the last quarter T.Boyd becomes a P Plated Norm Smith medallist.

Elated for him.

It's so pleasing to have a young tall putting himself forward like he did. I know internally he'd be in the top one to three players of the day because of his efforts, and that will mean more to anyone who counts than plaudits within the media might.

Twodogs
02-10-2016, 08:57 AM
It's so pleasing to have a young tall putting himself forward like he did. I know internally he'd be in the top one to three players of the day because of his efforts, and that will mean more to anyone who counts than plaudits within the media might.

If the players were training this week Tom would wear the funny coloured top.

angelopetraglia
02-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Worth every single cent. He had everything you needed in a Grand Final.

1) Harness at the contest. Threw around his 100kg frame into everything!

2) Took big contested marks. Allowed us to go long down the line when we had to and presented a big target. Took some super contested marks but importantly always created a contest.

3) Kicked goals. Seized his chance.

Tom Boyd you are a Western Bulldogs Premiership player!

p.s. the selfie I got with you on the boundary line I will cherish for the rest of my living days :)

EasternWest
02-10-2016, 10:46 AM

2) Took big contested marks. Allowed us to go long down the line when we had to and presented a big target. Took some super contested marks but importantly always created a contest.

p.s. the selfie I got with you on the boundary line I will cherish for the rest of my living days :)

Pics or it didn't happen!

Ghost Dog
02-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Well played Tom! Clearly growing into his shoes. Doesn't like giving up the ball in a contest, using his body, marked very well. What a dream! We won a grand final and Tom played really well.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-10-2016, 12:31 PM
What a stage to choose to produce the best game to date of your career.

Barrett must have felt sick in his stomach waking up today knowing he has no more platform to continue his anti Boyd deal campaign.

whythelongface
02-10-2016, 01:26 PM

The scary part is that Boydy and The Bont are only 20 and will wreak havoc for another decade.

hlnbidoffer
02-10-2016, 03:08 PM
So proud of Boydy. As a supporter you had to have the faith that he would turn into the player we expected him to be. He really stood up throughout the finals. Last week rucking for 3 quarters was amazing and yesterday he was simply awesome.

It felt like something just clicked and all of the sudden he was clunking contested marks and kicking goals. He is an absolute star and I'm so glad he is at the club.

Sidenote: I'll be really dissapointed if the club pursues this Cloke deal. With Crameri coming back in, it seems ridiculous to gift Cloke an opportunity to play at the club. You can see Boyd is the future and personally I think the way Zaine attacks the contest that he deserves a permanent position n the forward line too.

LostDoggy
02-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Just watching his highlights reel on the dogs website now. I'm so excited about him cause he's only gonna get better. Can't wait for his future with us.

Ghost Dog
02-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Always knew he would make a huge difference to our forward line, and has been building for some time.
The way he moves, and thinks, the footy brain is the hardest thing to get in a player.
So happy for the young guy.

Twodogs
02-10-2016, 05:08 PM

Oh you lucky bastard-well done good score. I got a piece of confetti, a white rose I gave to a tram employee and lots of huga from strangers.

My son spotted me on the telecast so that's something.

AndrewP6
02-10-2016, 05:35 PM

21 now, in August.

merantau
02-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Tom Boyd - you spiked their canons on the most important day of the year. A bravura performance. Where are the doubters now? They've slunk back into the alleys and doorways, averting their pinched, jaundiced features from the harsh glare of condemnation that comes from the Bulldog faithful. Go Dogs!

divvydan
02-10-2016, 08:35 PM
Have to be honest and admit that when Tom dropped that chest mark in the opening minutes of the game I groaned pretty loudly and thought it might be one of those days that he can sometimes have where he gets into good positions, gets his hands to the ball but they just don't stick.

Not sure I've seen a stickier set of hands than Tom after quarter time though. His confidence grew and grew and it was felt by everyone, shown by us going long to him in several critical occasions. His goal after Morris' tackle also gave me the confidence to finally believe we were going to win and put aside all the "they can still snatch it away" thoughts I'd had. Thank you Tom.

comrade
02-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Still can't get over his game yesterday.

Winning was sweet enough, it put to bed 1954, 62 years, 1 flag etc.

But for Tommy to slay it and jam it up every hater's ***** was the ultimate icing on the cake. No more $1M jibes, no more shit canning.

This game has made our club and its supporters effectively bulletproof.

G-Mo77
02-10-2016, 10:04 PM
Anyone notice in the presser Bevo was quite emotional when talking about Boydy and the media laying into him.

Why don't they mention the contract of that bum who wore number 8 for the Swannies yesterday?

chef
02-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Anyone notice in the presser Bevo was quite emotional when talking about Boydy and the media laying into him.

Why don't they mention the contract of that bum who wore number 8 for the Swannies yesterday?

Matty Boyd was quite defensive too on game day today.

Ozza
02-10-2016, 10:46 PM
It was so brilliant for it to all come together for Tom in the biggest game of his life.

Even though I had money on JJ for the Norm, I found myself barracking against my pocket - that it would be Boydy to get the medal - it would have been such a great story!

Twodogs
02-10-2016, 11:01 PM
Have to be honest and admit that when Tom dropped that chest mark in the opening minutes of the game I groaned pretty loudly and thought it might be one of those days that he can sometimes have where he gets into good positions, gets his hands to the ball but they just don't stick.

Not sure I've seen a stickier set of hands than Tom after quarter time though. His confidence grew and grew and it was felt by everyone, shown by us going long to him in several critical occasions. His goal after Morris' tackle also gave me the confidence to finally believe we were going to win and put aside all the "they can still snatch it away" thoughts I'd had. Thank you Tom.

That goal was just after JJ's goal was overturned too. It showed we weren't going to lose our rag over tgat decision and we're still absolutely focused.

It was pretty good skills beneath the knees for such a big guy like Tom to gather the tumbling ball and straighten to get his shot away.

Ghost Dog
02-10-2016, 11:20 PM
Early in the season, he took a huge mark across the face of a pack, running hard. Who was it against? I forget, but when I saw that I thought, shizer, we have a great one here.

GVGjr
02-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Early in the season, he took a huge mark across the face of a pack, running hard. Who was it against? I forget, but when I saw that I thought, shizer, we have a great one here.

Collingwood I think

AndrewP6
02-10-2016, 11:30 PM

The presser is an absolute cracker. You're right, Bevo goes into bat for Tom in a big way. I laughed out loud when Bevo thinks he is quoting famous poem "Desiderata", and PG corrects him and says it is "If, by Rudyard Kipling"!! Bevo notes how good it is when you muck up and you're put back on the straight and narrow! Hilarious stuff. Funny too to hear Bevo note that Kipling "had a couple of other good ones" :D

Throughandthrough
03-10-2016, 12:23 AM
Any argument, ever again, in the future, about how we over paid for Tom Boyd are null and void. Worth every bloody cent. Won us a flag.

bornadog
03-10-2016, 12:25 AM
Collingwood I think

Nab Cup game

bornadog
03-10-2016, 12:26 AM
What a stage to choose to produce the best game to date of your career.

Barrett must have felt sick in his stomach waking up today knowing he has no more platform to continue his anti Boyd deal campaign.

Barrett admitted on the Sunday Footy show that the return on investment for Tom was worth it as we have the premiership.

soupman
03-10-2016, 01:28 AM
Incredible. He is so frustrating because so often he looks bereft of confidence and struggles to do the simple things. I've been saying all year that I just wish he would give us glimpses of why he was a number 1 pick on a consistent basis, he tends to play so many games where he does nothing particularly influential or impressive that can't just be put down to work ethic.

This game he was transformed. There was one kick out in the last where Boyd came streaming off the bench and sprinted the whole way calling for it with his arm in the air and launched himself for the pack mark. It was every bit as impressive as his last epic goal.

Really hope he comes out next season with the same confidence, because we have never witnessed a beast like we saw Saturday for the Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
03-10-2016, 01:43 AM
I was so happy for Tom. There were great stories all over the ground.. Clay and his comeback, Boydy and Morris, Dunkley first year, The father sons.

But I was more delighted for big Tommy Boyd. I was so hoping his name was called for Norm Smith.

Has copped it so much for something completely out of his control.

What a match he played. Noone can say anything ever again.

EasternWest
03-10-2016, 12:12 PM
Barrett admitted on the Sunday Footy show that the return on investment for Tom was worth it as we have the premiership.

Was there a gun to his head?

There were great stories all over the ground.. Clay and his comeback.

Oh boy my heart broke momentarily when Buddy sidestepped him in the fourth and Clay slipped and went down awkwardly. He looked in trouble.

Ozza
03-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Funny to think back to the first quarter - where Tommy had his weekly quota of a dropped chest mark - when Bont sizzled a pass to him.

He certainly didn't let that define his day! 6 contested marks....fair dinkum!

His three big marks in the third quarter were really telling. The Swans could see that he was up and going - whereas their big men weren't taking any big marks.

bornadog
04-10-2016, 12:33 AM
The moment I thought, we will win this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZvdsDro8Ik

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 12:37 AM
BT drops the F Bomb!!!! :D :D :D

Hilarious, like a fan!

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 12:40 AM

Hilarious, like a fan!

I'm in tears. Brian Taylor: Boyd kicks a goal. Boyd kicks a goal. From inside the centre square. FU*K!!

bornadog
04-10-2016, 12:40 AM
I'm in tears. Boyd kicks a goal. Boyd kicks a goal. From inside the centre square. FU*K!

It was a monster.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 12:42 AM
It was a monster.

One for the ages.

bornadog
04-10-2016, 12:44 AM
One for the ages.

I was sitting on level 2 behind the goals and when he kicked that and it just bounced through, everyone was on their feet to see if it was also going to be touched.

EasternWest
04-10-2016, 12:50 AM
One for the ages.

I love that in a game that will resonate forever in the history of our club, it was a singular moment that captured everything you'd need to know about us.

The battling warrior who's bled for the team summons up another herculean last gasp effort to bring down arguably the best player in the game.

Then the ball spills to the kid that the club took a huge gamble on, risking reputation and ridicule for it, who smashes an absolutely monstrous goal to propel us into a new era.

In a club full of legends without success and more moments full of heartbreak than victory, we finally get our time in the sun.

Stirring, stirring stuff. I'll never forget it.

Dry Rot
04-10-2016, 01:00 AM
Two big men stood out, and up.

It wasn't Tippett and Franklin.

One was Boyd who deserved the Norm Smith, and the other was Grundy who I thought had a great game.

LostDoggy
04-10-2016, 01:04 AM
Two big men stood out, and up.

It wasn't Tippett and Franklin.

One was Boyd who deserved the Norm Smith, and the other was Grundy who I thought had a great game.

Both fair calls, although Roughead and Hamling were both also very, very good.

LostDoggy
04-10-2016, 01:06 AM

Hilarious, like a fan!

I reckon it was Darcy that dropped the F-bomb coming over the top. Either way, gold.

Dry Rot
04-10-2016, 01:14 AM
Both fair calls, although Roughead and Hamling were both also very, very good.

Agree with Hamling and Roberts, but Grundy really stood out in a well beaten side. Kudos to him.

LostDoggy
04-10-2016, 01:19 AM
Agree with Hamling and Roberts, but Grundy really stood out in a well beaten side. Kudos to him.

Grundy was very good, their 2nd best player behind Kennedy. Has had a great career and is very underestimated. Bit like Andrew Dunkley - hopefully he has a son :)

Ozza
04-10-2016, 11:07 AM
I reckon it was Darcy that dropped the F-bomb coming over the top. Either way, gold.

I'm pretty sure it was BT. I watched the premiership DVD with the Triple M commentary on last night, and pretty sure they give BT a ribbing about it.

I know the MMM boys can be knuckleheads - but JB and BT just go completely off when we are kicking goals in the last quarter.
JB even starts the quarter saying that he think we will win "I dunno, there's somethin' about the doggies - they're going to win".

Then when JJ kicks what we thought was the winner - he goes beserk and says the dogs have won....then immediately says "I might have gone off early here - but I don't give a stuff!!!".

choconmientay
04-10-2016, 11:13 AM
How about that ...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UkNBkwB1xhV7YJhZ2VNv3ws97NDDaSPu9T-4klhPxWkLiEfM4OgvAcTny0-518R05G29lEokR6fRlQ9QKdCCKDsOW0DEvpkUB1TktaQTcWd-RdsQVwuBZkFWhAs873zDkRq3YGSddq4jDmKYcjgUG0tqUmSyRMqAIt5maxyl 5u_6ucjuzeBgdLJkZAAueY65qdEzeJd7MguzEu92SuEAmZxWR2gomDXIJORp dkg3-kCDSHnLwrsU61aMy7jeDoCIQFOdTHdLOzAhEPFJZiIUxMmIOQOP8GY9l9Tl5 mT45YBEtSgSfD7JGi6EGdmBUlVYEU3S8zSFBlG0YIg8GNGhQjl60NmursAG9 __BUIEETjNxZwq29hh265uAJnryRVmhM_3AAQYliYF-DpX-hTgveDYtnYTxP9KcW2LLQKT2CqpSpBW6YcFYnR7F7q4hgSphf3hLR4Nn7VKN HjRiXsNILiFgG7m4VlNAOb4zQ9Pw4_397Mt4mkICDnUNpierHxfNy0E-BntdywRdm70P_Bu3gyMxtFcIkpV7l2NhguZMxdFstCw5a9zU-M63bO0k7o3JD9-VZVKVdQ5gHhJpFfBOQ-EV-WMFLeYIEiFOr08KuZSQboaN=w700-h467-no

Love this photo of the internet :)

chef
04-10-2016, 11:21 AM
How about that ...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UkNBkwB1xhV7YJhZ2VNv3ws97NDDaSPu9T-4klhPxWkLiEfM4OgvAcTny0-518R05G29lEokR6fRlQ9QKdCCKDsOW0DEvpkUB1TktaQTcWd-RdsQVwuBZkFWhAs873zDkRq3YGSddq4jDmKYcjgUG0tqUmSyRMqAIt5maxyl 5u_6ucjuzeBgdLJkZAAueY65qdEzeJd7MguzEu92SuEAmZxWR2gomDXIJORp dkg3-kCDSHnLwrsU61aMy7jeDoCIQFOdTHdLOzAhEPFJZiIUxMmIOQOP8GY9l9Tl5 mT45YBEtSgSfD7JGi6EGdmBUlVYEU3S8zSFBlG0YIg8GNGhQjl60NmursAG9 __BUIEETjNxZwq29hh265uAJnryRVmhM_3AAQYliYF-DpX-hTgveDYtnYTxP9KcW2LLQKT2CqpSpBW6YcFYnR7F7q4hgSphf3hLR4Nn7VKN HjRiXsNILiFgG7m4VlNAOb4zQ9Pw4_397Mt4mkICDnUNpierHxfNy0E-BntdywRdm70P_Bu3gyMxtFcIkpV7l2NhguZMxdFstCw5a9zU-M63bO0k7o3JD9-VZVKVdQ5gHhJpFfBOQ-EV-WMFLeYIEiFOr08KuZSQboaN=w700-h467-no

I love it.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Is he yelling, Baaarrrrrreeeeeetttttt!!!

LostDoggy
04-10-2016, 11:46 AM
How about that ...

What a magnificent beast.

EasternWest
04-10-2016, 11:57 AM
How about that ...

That's one of my favourites.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-10-2016, 12:02 PM
That's one of my favourites.

Can see that photo being immortalised in whatever that photo effect is.....what is it? not black and white, that other one.

choconmientay
04-10-2016, 02:49 PM
Is he yelling, Baaarrrrrreeeeeetttttt!!!

He spotted Barrett in the crowd (look at the facial expression ... )
https://fu-uploads-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/2016/Oct/03/large_zKE2vns6RdqyrfIKWd5k.jpg

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 03:10 PM
He spotted Barrett in the crowd (look at the facial expression ... )
https://fu-uploads-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/2016/Oct/03/large_zKE2vns6RdqyrfIKWd5k.jpg

They are comparing Tom's game to Hawkin's 2011 Grand Final - So here's some perspective about why they are under selling Tom Boyd:

Boyd's 2016 GF - Hawkin's 2011 GF

21, & 5 weeks of age - 23 & 9 weeks of age
Rising Star 2015 (1 year gap) - Rising Star 2007 (4 year gap)
38 Career Games - 79 Career Games
Position FF, CHF & Ruck - Position FF
Kicked the winner with his 3rd - Kicked his 3 all before 3/4 time and missed shots in the last
7 Norm Smith Votes - 5 Norm Smith Votes

Call me biased, but I think Boyd's final isn't shades of Hawkin's at all. I think it's far more impressive.

Ozza
04-10-2016, 03:13 PM
I think their games were about level for impact. But considering Tom is 21, and rucked for a chunk of the game - it was a really outstanding effort.
Tomahawk went on to be All Australian the next season and kicked over 60 goals. Your move Boydy.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 03:17 PM
I think their games were about level for impact. But considering Tom is 21, and rucked for a chunk of the game - it was a really outstanding effort.
Tomahawk went on to be All Australian the next season and kicked over 60 goals. Your move Boydy.

Hawkin's played as permanent FF though the next year, not sure what Boyd will do under Bevo but the 60 goals was as a 23 year old, not Boyd's 21 year old next year. That Tom Boyd is more than two years younger and has played 41 less games (over 50% less) puts him a way ahead in the media comparison.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-10-2016, 03:18 PM

Said it before and will say it again. Boyd is a confidence guy. It's what he has been lacking - confidence and through that aggression. On Saturday, after his first goal, you could just tell he started to believe in himself and through that, decided he would just impose himself on the game. After his 2nd or 3rd contested mark, i thought to myself, jeez he really wants this, and there isn't anyone out there who can stop him. He just willed himself to the ball.

If he maintains the rage next year look out.

G-Mo77
04-10-2016, 03:20 PM
I really can't see them changing Boyd's role that much. I'm embarrassed to say I've been very critical of not having him play more forward this year but the combination of 2 guys like Roughy and Boyd splitting time ruck and forward has turned out to be a nice weapon to have.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-10-2016, 03:27 PM
I really can't see them changing Boyd's role that much. I'm embarrassed to say I've been very critical of not having him play more forward this year but the combination of 2 guys like Roughy and Boyd splitting time ruck and forward has turned out to be a nice weapon to have.

Same here. But wow his tank has significantly improved. He has just been everywhere in all of our finals games. Massive advantage.

chef
04-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Yeah, Boyd is a ruck/forward for mine. He is a monster around the ground and would be wasted/stifled as a permanent forward. He needs to be able to roam.

Another reason we need Cloke.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 03:41 PM
Yeah, Boyd is a ruck/forward for mine. He is a monster around the ground and would be wasted/stifled as a permanent forward. He needs to be able to roam.

Another reason we need Cloke.

If he takes 6 contested marks in the forward 50 and generates other avenues to have shots with a goal kicking accuracy over 70%, I think I could live with 3-5 goals a game. :D

chef
04-10-2016, 03:45 PM
If he takes 6 contested marks in the forward 50 and generates other avenues to have shots with a goal kicking accuracy over 70%, I think I could live with 3-5 goals a game. :D

He can kick 3-5 playing in the ruck:p

hujsh
04-10-2016, 03:46 PM
Great to have not one but 2 contested marking beasts around the ground. When did we last have that? (defenders don't count)

1eyedog
04-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Great to have not one but 2 contested marking beasts around the ground. When did we last have that? (defenders don't count)

Wynd and Grant = long time.

LostDoggy
04-10-2016, 03:52 PM
A number of times in the second half I said words to the effect of "That's Tom Boyd, that's Tom Boyd again!".

A great story of resilience, champion.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 04:27 PM
A number of times in the second half I said words to the effect of "That's Tom Boyd, that's Tom Boyd again!".

Absolutely.

Force feeding Barrett into accepting the trade was a winner and his contract/money was worth it is nice. But the venom he and Matthews generated towards him (read from the Quayle article) can't be undone. If they had any decency they'd come up to apologise for the hate they created and that Tom may have his entire career. I like that JMac reminded Barrett of it on trade radio today. If our supporters can't stick up for him than he's in trouble. I had family in different parts of the MCG and one of them said blokes decked out in RW&B were giving it to him right up until his first goal. He shouldn't need to stick it up our own, and hope with his brilliant performance he won't ever have to again.

Topdog
04-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Absolutely.

Force feeding Barrett into accepting the trade was a winner and his contract/money was worth it is nice. But the venom he and Matthews generated towards him (read from the Quayle article) can't be undone..

Sorry mate which article is this?

bulldogsthru&thru
04-10-2016, 04:38 PM
Absolutely.

Force feeding Barrett into accepting the trade was a winner and his contract/money was worth it is nice. But the venom he and Matthews generated towards him (read from the Quayle article) can't be undone. If they had any decency they'd come up to apologise for the hate they created and that Tom may have his entire career. I like that JMac reminded Barrett of it on trade radio today. If our supporters can't stick up for him than he's in trouble. I had family in different parts of the MCG and one of them said blokes decked out in RW&B were giving it to him right up until his first goal. He shouldn't need to stick it up our own, and hope with his brilliant performance he won't ever have to again.

Probably some of those fans we seem to have obtained lately

LostDoggy
04-10-2016, 04:51 PM
Absolutely.

It sure was heartwarming seeing him take those contested grabs in the third qtr, by that long goal in the last I was filled with pride and so happy for the young man, countless times Ive gone into bat for him this season. With a few minutes to go I was thinking Norm Smith, just after the game I thought maybe I had rose coloured glasses but watching the replay no way, he was right up there. Bevo as mentioned, going in to bat for him after the game was justifiably and rightly ferocious, what a coach.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Sorry mate which article is this?

It was posted up on woof last week. I think it's in the Dogs Day board. He mentioned he put up support for a mental illness initiative and even copped abuse for that. He basicly can't do anything on social media without getting abuse, and talked about the toll of everything in the papers.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Probably some of those fans we seem to have obtained lately

Then they can *!*!*!*! right back to the cracks they crawled out of.

1eyedog
04-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Absolutely.

Not real supporters then. Always loved Tom, always stood up for him, had a bromance on him as soon as he stepped foot in the club.

Sedat
04-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Absolutely.

I was kinda hoping Matty Boyd would've reminded Leigh Matthews on Game Day on Sunday morning of the awesome work he's done at Brisbane in the last few years as their pseudo president and final decision-maker on their last 2 coaches. This arsehole openly wished that Tom Boyd did not have a successful career - what a lowlife scumbag. Cretins like Barrett are just clueless scribes who change with the wind but what Matthews said is as disgusting as it gets IMO.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 05:14 PM
I was kinda hoping Matty Boyd would've reminded Leigh Matthews on Game Day on Sunday morning of the awesome work he's done at Brisbane in the last few years as their pseudo president and final decision-maker on their last 2 coaches. This arsehole openly wished that Tom Boyd did not have a successful career - what a lowlife scumbag. Cretins like Barrett are just clueless scribes who change with the wind but what Matthews said is as disgusting as it gets IMO.

I was stoked that Matthews had to give the medal to Bevo. To face all the mistakes he's made (overlooking good coaches like Simpson & Bevo for his boys) and see the elation of Boyd and the others. I find myself disgusted in him and with a trail of shithouse footy decisions since retiring as coach, I have no idea why Ch7 put him on a pedestal as some footy genius.

westdog54
04-10-2016, 05:24 PM

Me too. Tom Boyd again. Tom Boyd again. It was mesmerising, astonishing and heart-warming at the same time.

With two massive finals performances he's turned CamHead into our plan B.

He's officially a ruckman who can go forward and do damage.

Kurt Tippett is now a poor man's Tom Boyd.

Eastdog
04-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Absolutely worth it now. T Boyd has taken a massive step.

Mofra
04-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Absolutely worth it now. T Boyd has taken a massive step.
Haha, I was stirring up everyone around me at the GF by calling him "Value" from about halfway through the first quarter onwards.
Nostradamus :cool:

SlimPickens
04-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Haha, I was stirring up everyone around me at the GF by calling him "Value" from about halfway through the first quarter onwards.
Nostradamus :cool:

That's great...now please change your signature!!!!

Sedat
04-10-2016, 05:35 PM
I was stoked that Matthews had to give the medal to Bevo. To face all the mistakes he's made (overlooking good coaches like Simpson & Bevo for his boys) and see the elation of Boyd and the others. I find myself disgusted in him and with a trail of shithouse footy decisions since retiring as coach, I have no idea why Ch7 put him on a pedestal as some footy genius.
To be fair, it's not hard to look like a genius when you are surrounded by a-grade morons like Ling and Zempilas

jeemak
04-10-2016, 05:43 PM

Ch7 have a thing for adulterers. It's their niche.

bornadog
04-10-2016, 06:00 PM
Travis Cloke wants to work with Tom Boyd at Western Bulldogs (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/travis-cloke-wants-to-work-with-tom-boyd-at-western-bulldogs-20161004-grud1l.html)
The opportunity to work with and mentor Tom Boyd is one of the main reasons out-of-favour Collingwood forward Travis Cloke wants to join the Western Bulldogs.

Click above for full story

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 06:09 PM
Travis Cloke wants to work with Tom Boyd at Western Bulldogs (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/travis-cloke-wants-to-work-with-tom-boyd-at-western-bulldogs-20161004-grud1l.html)
The opportunity to work with and mentor Tom Boyd is one of the main reasons out-of-favour Collingwood forward Travis Cloke wants to join the Western Bulldogs.

Click above for full story

That's what we all needed to hear. He's coming for his footy and to enjoy the game again. Wants to be around Bevo and wants to work with and help our boys and club. That's so refreshing. Very rare to hear that in these days of players leaving for even modestly more money.

SonofScray
04-10-2016, 07:03 PM
I took a few brief moments n my euphoric state to BOO the prick, "get him off, piss off Matthews" etc and was hoping he would do a Frank Lowy at the A League grand final and fall off the dais. Will never forgive him for those malicious comments.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 07:10 PM
I took a few brief moments n my euphoric state to BOO the prick, "get him off, piss off Matthews" etc and was hoping he would do a Frank Lowy at the A League grand final and fall off the dais. Will never forgive him for those malicious comments.

I gave a yell of 'what do you think of Tom Boyd now you flog'. He pretended like he couldn't hear me out there in the middle.

jeemak
04-10-2016, 07:13 PM
How awkward would this have been if it came to fruition......

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/cameron-mooney-and-luke-darcy-say-maligned-western-bulldog-tom-boyd-should-take-a-pay-cut-to-ease-pressure/news-story/335ea5b780a1944850a72b3806cb2074

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 07:19 PM
How awkward would this have been if it came to fruition......

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/cameron-mooney-and-luke-darcy-say-maligned-western-bulldog-tom-boyd-should-take-a-pay-cut-to-ease-pressure/news-story/335ea5b780a1944850a72b3806cb2074

The Hun should do a follow up on this story...

Throughandthrough
04-10-2016, 11:03 PM
Has everyone seen and heard this? BT at his absolute best
https://www.facebook.com/DexterTan76/posts/10154173914668952

The bulldog tragician
04-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Every week of the finals Matthews not only tipped against us, but in a superior, dismissive tone, with no respect. I've developed a healthy dose of loathing for him and LOVED that he had to present the medal, though it would have been even better if he were forced to wear an "I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE WESTERN BULLDOGS' sandwich board

bornadog
04-10-2016, 11:56 PM
Every week of the finals Matthews not only tipped against us, but in a superior, dismissive tone, with no respect. I've developed a healthy dose of loathing for him and LOVED that he had to present the medal, though it would have been even better if he were forced to wear an "I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE WESTERN BULLDOGS' sandwich board

I have hated him since his on field thug days in the 80s

Ghost Dog
05-10-2016, 02:07 AM
Feels so good to stick it up those experts.

Remi Moses
05-10-2016, 05:36 AM
Caroline Wilson
Worst trade ever .

Rocket Science
05-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Hard not to enjoy this image of Boyd quenching himself with the tears of the haters.

https://s22.postimg.org/foagxunu9/boyd.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/5qzg4sg8d/)

1eyedog
05-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Far out that's a great image. Tom Boyd Premiership hero.

Webby
05-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Isn't it amazing that Tom Boyd has, in an instant gone from being "The luckiest upstart going around!" to "Tom Boyd was very stiff not to snag the Notm Smith in a premiership side... Very unlucky!"

Now we also have 'experts' clamouring to backtrack on their ridiculous "Boyd's a dud, Bulldogs stupid" stances. He's actually become the thinking man's underrated player!

What an enormous turnaround for the club on so many levels!

We are THE quintessential example of the adage, "just hang in there and things will turn! Boyd and the club have moved from disdain and pity to respect and envy in an instant. It's just surreal!

LostDoggy
05-10-2016, 05:24 PM
I'm pretty sure it was BT. I watched the premiership DVD with the Triple M commentary on last night, and pretty sure they give BT a ribbing about it.

I know the MMM boys can be knuckleheads - but JB and BT just go completely off when we are kicking goals in the last quarter.
JB even starts the quarter saying that he think we will win "I dunno, there's somethin' about the doggies - they're going to win".

Then when JJ kicks what we thought was the winner - he goes beserk and says the dogs have won....then immediately says "I might have gone off early here - but I don't give a stuff!!!".

Does the MMM commentary come with the DVD, Oz?

Ozza
05-10-2016, 05:40 PM
Yes the premiership DVD has Ch7, MMM, SEN, 3AW.

Doc26
05-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Isn't it amazing that Tom Boyd has, in an instant gone from being "The luckiest upstart going around!" to "Tom Boyd was very stiff not to snag the Notm Smith in a premiership side... Very unlucky!"

Now we also have 'experts' clamouring to backtrack on their ridiculous "Boyd's a dud, Bulldogs stupid" stances. He's actually become the thinking man's underrated player!

What an enormous turnaround for the club on so many levels!

We are THE quintessential example of the adage, "just hang in there and things will turn! Boyd and the club have moved from disdain and pity to respect and envy in an instant. It's just surreal!

How stupid does Robbo and his merry men look now with his infamous tweet back in Oct14
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjvg19mvb65iwbk/Slobbo.jpg?raw=1

bornadog
05-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Yes the premiership DVD has Ch7, MMM, SEN, 3AW.

So no 774 commentary? I do like Gerard.

chef
05-10-2016, 08:00 PM
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/tom-boyd-deal-could-ruin-the-western-bulldogs/news-story/330c10f2e3823db7c8b477456363e85d

Haha. Love how its got the GF score at the bottom.

Throughandthrough
05-10-2016, 08:13 PM
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/tom-boyd-deal-could-ruin-the-western-bulldogs/news-story/330c10f2e3823db7c8b477456363e85d

Haha. Love how its got the GF score at the bottom.

Good spot. Jai is an Adelaide Journalist who gives me the sh&ts. If he hasn't blocked me on twitter, he will soon

Webby
05-10-2016, 08:20 PM
So no 774 commentary? I do like Gerard.

ABC's charter doesn't allow it.

bornadog
05-10-2016, 10:16 PM
ABC's charter doesn't allow it.

Shame

AndrewP6
05-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Can see that photo being immortalised in whatever that photo effect is.....what is it? not black and white, that other one.

Sepia?

Stefcep
06-10-2016, 11:00 AM
He just needed the confidence, the ability was always there.

will he exclusively play as a KPF or ruck as well

bornadog
06-10-2016, 02:44 PM
He just needed the confidence, the ability was always there.

will he exclusively play as a KPF or ruck as well

Ruck/Fwd

Mantis
06-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Ruck/Fwd

Or is Fwd/ Ruck?

Twodogs
07-10-2016, 10:07 AM
Or is Fwd/ Ruck?

That one. Camhead doing most of the ruckwork with Tom providing cover.

1eyedog
07-10-2016, 10:24 AM
Ruck/Fwd

Fwd / ruck?/

bornadog
07-10-2016, 10:25 AM
Fwd / ruck?/

does it matter.

jeemak
07-10-2016, 10:32 AM
It does BAD, semantics are everything on the interwebs.

Ozza
07-10-2016, 10:48 AM

Are you accusing him of being anti-semantic?

Bulldog4life
10-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Are you accusing him of being anti-semantic?

Is that you Uncle Leo?

kruder
10-10-2016, 10:32 AM
There are little things that you see with a player that you know yep they have arrived. In the the 4th quarter we were trying to get the ball out of defence, Boyd was coming off the pine and he ran hard to provide a target. He pointed were he wanted it, demanded the footy for the first time and smashed the pack and took his best mark of the final. I remember looking to my old man before he took it and said look Boyd is demanding the footy! A bulldog tall dominating the second half of a grand final. You wouldn't read about it, until now!

Throughandthrough
10-10-2016, 04:56 PM
#ninedaysapremier

Twodogs
10-10-2016, 05:37 PM
There are little things that you see with a player that you know yep they have arrived. In the the 4th quarter we were trying to get the ball out of defence, Boyd was coming off the pine and he ran hard to provide a target. He pointed were he wanted it, demanded the footy for the first time and smashed the pack and took his best mark of the final. I remember looking to my old man before he took it and said look Boyd is demanding the footy! A bulldog tall dominating the second half of a grand final. You wouldn't read about it, until now!

Everybody in the stadium saw Boyd come off the bench waving his arms I reckon. Everyone around us was yelling "Boyd, Boyd" then we all drew breath while the kick was on the air followed by a big "TOMMY!!!" when he took the big mark.

Bits of it are coming back to me.

1eyedog
10-10-2016, 05:49 PM

yes they're not

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Boyd has never looked comfortable as a key forward and has clearly come of age during the final series as a ruckman. Could have won the Norm Smith Medal in a tremendous game and took over in the prelim final against Mumford in another quality display.

Twodogs
10-10-2016, 09:14 PM
That was a terrific effort against Mumford. His last quarter was epic.

Remi Moses
10-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Any word from Caroline " Worst trade in History " Wilson ?
Gee there's a lot of egg on faces

Hotdog60
10-10-2016, 09:51 PM
I can picture Barret sitting at the end of the match snivelling to himself "please don't let Boyd win the Norm Smith, Please don't let Boyd win the Norm Smith".

bulldogtragic
10-10-2016, 10:00 PM
I can picture Barret sitting at the end of the match snivelling to himself "please don't let Boyd win the Norm Smith, Please don't let Boyd win the Norm Smith".

I can picture him frantically calling the judges, doing the numbers to make sure he didn't win.

Twodogs
11-10-2016, 12:04 AM
I can picture him frantically calling the judges, doing the numbers to make sure he didn't win.

Beat me too it. I imagine him feverishly sending texts offering to wash people's cars or mow their lawn as long as they didn't give Tom Boyd 3 votes.

Ozza
11-10-2016, 11:12 AM
On the SEN show Liam Pickering is on Saturday mornings (Off The Bench) - in their segment 'The Dig' over the weekend, he had his dig at the media ("To the media....all of you - Mark Thompson style - ALL OF YOU")...

Basically said to 'all of the media that made it hard for Tom, who put pressure on him etc' that he hoped that they enjoyed last Saturday and can maybe now see that he has something special.

azabob
11-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Ah, good on ya a Pickers. Certainly helps when you are backing self interest!

bornadog
11-10-2016, 11:28 AM
On the SEN show Liam Pickering is on Saturday mornings (Off The Bench) - in their segment 'The Dig' over the weekend, he had his dig at the media ("To the media....all of you - Mark Thompson style - ALL OF YOU")...

Basically said to 'all of the media that made it hard for Tom, who put pressure on him etc' that he hoped that they enjoyed last Saturday and can maybe now see that he has something special.

Weren't you one of the sceptics?

Topdog
11-10-2016, 11:31 AM

I think there is a difference between being a sceptic and calling him a spud, a failure, the worst trade in history, a waste of money.

Ghost Dog
11-10-2016, 11:44 AM

Did she actually say this???
It's such a bizarre thing to say, given most talls take a long time to develop. Tom isn't a lumbering dinosaur, he moves well and has a good footy brain. Even a average Joe Shmoe like myself can see that.
Why you would pull such an early trigger with an opinion like that is beyond me. Richmond jealousy coming through? Very strange.

Can I now be justified in my dislike for Caroline Wilson and not be called a misogynist? There is nothing more to it - I just don't like the way she constructs the footy narrative, although now and then she gets it right. Negative Nelly.

Even in my wildest dreams, I never imagined Tom playing such a huge role in a grand final, second year with us.

bornadog
11-10-2016, 11:45 AM
I think there is a difference between being a sceptic and calling him a spud, a failure, the worst trade in history, a waste of money.

True

Ozza
11-10-2016, 12:25 PM

I'm not sure I'd use the word sceptic - but I was definitely nervous about Tom, no doubt there.

During the middle of this season, I would go to games and watch Tom with a knot in my stomach - hoping that we would start to see something, and being very nervous both for him, and for us who traded for him. I'd spent the first 1.5 years of his time with us, defending the decision to any and all mates who potted us for getting him in on the massive contract - and it was testing the faith when we were getting little back.

The Geelong game was a good sign, but I actually think the Essendon game was the first time I was convinced. Not so much during the game - but afterwards - I saw a video someone had made (possibly AL's Highlights) of every involvement Tom had in the game, and could see in that, that he was starting to get it. Starting to attack balls in the air and impact contests.

His finals series was obviously very good. Probably our best tall in Perth. Solid in the next two, then spectacular in the Grand Final.

Whilst I'm not expecting every game from now on to be exactly like the Grand Final - you would expect that this is his new benchmark for work rate, intensity - and the way he imposes himself on contests.

Topdog
11-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Whilst I'm not expecting every game from now on to be exactly like the Grand Final - you would expect that this is his new benchmark for work rate, intensity - and the way he imposes himself on contests.

At 21 and with less than 40 games under his belt his tank will only get better.

Twodogs
11-10-2016, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure I'd use the word sceptic - but I was definitely nervous about Tom, no doubt there.

During the middle of this season, I would go to games and watch Tom with a knot in my stomach - hoping that we would start to see something, and being very nervous both for him, and for us who traded for him. I'd spent the first 1.5 years of his time with us, defending the decision to any and all mates who potted us for getting him in on the massive contract - and it was testing the faith when we were getting little back.

The Geelong game was a good sign, but I actually think the Essendon game was the first time I was convinced. Not so much during the game - but afterwards - I saw a video someone had made (possibly AL's Highlights) of every involvement Tom had in the game, and could see in that, that he was starting to get it. Starting to attack balls in the air and impact contests.

His finals series was obviously very good. Probably our best tall in Perth. Solid in the next two, then spectacular in the Grand Final.

I thought he was almost our best in the prelim. Mumford was starting to rwally dominate him but Tom found a bit and got on top of Mumford again.

Sedat
11-10-2016, 01:45 PM
She also said after the Tambling draft day that this was the "greatest day in the history of the Richmond Football Club". She's prone to the odd egg on face comments.

Rocket Science
11-10-2016, 01:59 PM
"How much egg would you like with that Caro? This much?"

https://s12.postimg.org/3wkyls90d/boyd.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/qy1jrj8nt/)

The less diplomatic among you might even wonder if Boyd's yelling "EABOD THIS big!", but I couldn't possibly go there.

Twodogs
11-10-2016, 02:11 PM
I want to see that a lot next year.

bornadog
11-10-2016, 02:13 PM
I want to see that a lot next year.

Ok enjoy this again:

Twodogs
11-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Oh ho hoe!

Templeton31
11-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Have a listen to JMac's interview on trade radio last week with Damian Barrett.

Damo talks about how he (JMac) must be satisfied/vindicated with the decision to recruit Tom given his GF game and all the articles written questioning our acquiring of Big Tom. JMac answers and DB goes to move on to the next question but JMac interrupts him and says something like "I think you wrote a few of those articles Damian didn't you????" Its gold.

EasternWest
11-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Ok enjoy this again:

I'll never not enjoy that. The most glorious 30 seconds of football in our history.

mattempo
11-10-2016, 05:30 PM
At 21 and with less than 40 games under his belt his tank will only get better.

I think it's worth noting that GWS mismanaged him into a big, slow lump. Last year he continually lost his feet and could not produce second efforts through lack of speed and fatigue. Through his designation as a ruck/forward, he has become extremely mobile and can now impact repeated contests. Another full preseason with us and shoulder surgery to fix a long standing injury, he will be consistently good throughout individual matches and across the season.

ledge
11-10-2016, 07:15 PM
I think it's worth noting that GWS mismanaged him into a big, slow lump. Last year he continually lost his feet and could not produce second efforts through lack of speed and fatigue. Through his designation as a ruck/forward, he has become extremely mobile and can now impact repeated contests. Another full preseason with us and shoulder surgery to fix a long standing injury, he will be consistently good throughout individual matches and across the season.

Yep they told him he was playing full forward and made him put on 10 kilo, first thing he was told when he got to our club was " you need to lose weight "
At 19 years old he has been all over the shop with his body weight due to them and us , now he is coming out of that disaster and starting to be what he is capable of.
It will only get better

EasternWest
11-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Ok enjoy this again:

Actually I've just noticed that at the 12-13 second mark of that clip, just after Morris spoils Buddy he pulls up in that cramp/hobble that he's spoken about. Then when he sees Buddy about to get loose he just takes off again.

What a hero and a wonder he is. If I get a cramp I'm down for at least a minute.

GVGjr
11-10-2016, 07:26 PM

One of the player sponsors on our Sponsors night said the old 'Mark my words he won't make it' statement. I'd suggest that when I remind him of that he will have a bout of amnesia.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2016, 07:35 PM
One of the player sponsors on our Sponsors night said the old 'Mark my words he won't make it' statement. I'd suggest that when I remind him of that he will have a bout of amnesia.

I find our people giving him a hard time really frustrating. Especially since these experts have probably formed their view on a very small window. Hopefully doing what he did on Grand Final day in game 38 is enough to shut some 'supporters' up.

ledge
11-10-2016, 07:37 PM

Nothing like a "told you so " after a " mark my words" statement

1eyedog
11-10-2016, 09:16 PM
I find our people giving him a hard time really frustrating. Especially since these experts have probably formed their view on a very small window. Hopefully doing what he did on Grand Final day in game 38 is enough to shut some 'supporters' up.

He was best on in a Grand Final. For me I don't care if he ever perfroms in another game ever again.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2016, 09:21 PM
He was best on in a Grand Final. For me I don't care if he ever perfroms in another game ever again.

I think I'm up to repeat number 8 of watching the whole game. I get that JJ had over 800m gained, but 250-300 of those metres were direct turnovers. I just can't understand how he wasn't Normie.

azabob
11-10-2016, 09:35 PM
Was it Roughie who said halfway through the fourth he started calling Boyd Norm?

ledge
11-10-2016, 10:25 PM
The goal he missed would have sealed the norm I rekon

Throughandthrough
11-10-2016, 10:56 PM
Was it Roughie who said halfway through the fourth he started calling Boyd Norm?

I hope not, we were only 1 point up with 7 minutes to go!

bornadog
12-10-2016, 12:16 AM

Mate he is going to get even better.

1eyedog
12-10-2016, 12:20 AM
I think I'm up to repeat number 8 of watching the whole game. I get that JJ had over 800m gained, but 250-300 of those metres were direct turnovers. I just can't understand how he wasn't Normie.

I keep revisiting this myself, only up to 6 repeats though. JJ absolutely butchered the ball in the first half. Don't get me wrong, JJ was very good, his gains were great, he broke lines when no-one else could and put himself in goal scoring positions. His defensive work was also good. It was almost the perfect match, but not quite. The not quite goal, the not quite field kicking...

Three of the Norm Smith vote givers seem caught up with total possessions rather than impact on the final result, and there's no doubt in my mind that Boyd affected the final result more than JJ did, more than anyone did. It's like everyone who didn't give Boyd the votes were that immersed in the game that they forgot their roles, and quickly looked up the stats at the end.

Everyone I speak to thinks the same. It's quite perplexing.

I thought Kennedy had as much a stake on the medal as JJ.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2016, 12:30 AM
I keep revisiting this myself, only up to 6 repeats though. JJ absolutely butchered the ball in the first half. Don't get me wrong, Jj was very good, his gains were great, he broke lines when no-one else could and put himself in goal scoring positions. His defensive work was also good. It was almost the perfect match, but not quite. The not quite goal, the not quite field passes...

Three of the Norm Smith vote givers seem caught up with total possessions rather than impact on the final result, and there's no doubt in my mind that Boyd affected the final result more than JJ did, more than anyone did. It's like everyone who didn't give Boyd the votes were that immersed in the game that they forgot their roles, and quickly looked up the stats at the end.

Everyone I speak to thinks the same. It's quite perplexing.

I thought Kennedy had as much a stake on the medal as JJ.

Where we were standing we all said Tom was going to get it, and hypothesised anyone else and all our second guesses was Picko.

1eyedog
12-10-2016, 12:40 AM
Where we were standing we all said Tom was going to get it, and hypothesised anyone else and all our second guesses was Picko.

What I love about Boyd [what's not to love] was how stoked he was when JJ's name was called. He was right behind JJ and looked genuinely rapt #realteamplayer

LostDoggy
12-10-2016, 08:05 AM
In the coaches award fo the Gary Ayres the votes were JJ 9 votes (5 from 1 coach, 4 the other), Boyd 8 votes (5-3), Kennedy 7 votes (4-3). Would be interesting to find out whether Bevo gave JJ or Tom the 5 votes.

KT31
12-10-2016, 08:38 AM
I'll never not enjoy that. The most glorious 30 seconds of football in our history.

Like a few of us in the crowd, BT drops the F-Bomb.:)

KT31
12-10-2016, 08:39 AM
In the coaches award fo the Gary Ayres the votes were JJ 9 votes (5 from 1 coach, 4 the other), Boyd 8 votes (5-3), Kennedy 7 votes (4-3). Would be interesting to find out whether Bevo gave JJ or Tom the 5 votes.

Thought I read an article a week back that surmised Bevo gave the votes to Tommy.

1eyedog
12-10-2016, 08:54 AM

Bevo gave Tom full votes in the Ayres medal.

1eyedog
12-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Ok enjoy this again:

Is the F bomb on the DVD?

Topdog
12-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Is the F bomb on the DVD?

Yes it is, they didn't edit it

bulldogsthru&thru
12-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Yes it is, they didn't edit it

Hope they don't in the victory pack.....captures the emotion of the event!

Ozza
12-10-2016, 08:09 PM
I think you could easily make a case for any of JJ, Boyd or Kennedy as best on ground - and that reflected in the voting of the panel and of the coaches. JJ being norm smith is far from controversial, nor would Tom or JK winning it. Plenty of players had big quarters or halves - JJ was prominent in all 4 quarters - so for judges voting on it at the time.

When the siren sounded, although I had money on JJ, and thought after the game that he'd won it - I was actually barracking against my pocket, for Tom - for the 'stick that up your jumper' factor.

But I'd be thrilled for any player of ours to win it - and mostly thought it was great that our grand final wasn't one where the losing team's best player wins the medal.

Twodogs
12-10-2016, 10:52 PM
I think they usually get the team right with the Norm Smith and it takes an extrodinary game to win it for tge losing team.

Throughandthrough
12-10-2016, 11:02 PM
The moment I thought, we will win this.

Just on that, have 100,000 people ever watched a ball bounce, and will it to go over the line (or the other way) as much as this one time? It seemed to take an eternity! And i thought it was gonna bounce back.

bornadog
12-10-2016, 11:54 PM
Just on that, have 100,000 people ever watched a ball bounce, and will it to go over the line (or the other way) as much as this one time? It seemed to take an eternity! And i thought it was gonna bounce back.

I was behind the goals that end, on the next level up from the cheer squad and everyone stood up. That shot was not long after JJ's disallowed goal and I thought please not another one that is not a goal.

EasternWest
13-10-2016, 01:17 AM

Not for a second. This was kismet and I knew it was going through.

1eyedog
13-10-2016, 10:26 AM

Milne's off spinner v Collingwood 2010

azabob
13-10-2016, 11:11 AM
I was behind the goals that end, on the next level up from the cheer squad and everyone stood up. That shot was not long after JJ's disallowed goal and I thought please not another one that is not a goal.

I was at the opposite end in the forward pocket, ground level. I was lucky, from my view point it looked like it bounced through no problems so I was going nuts before anyone. That was the best feeling.

jeemak
13-10-2016, 11:15 AM
I was on the wing on the bottom level so had a side profile. My immediate thoughts were it had pulled up a bit and I was worried, but there was a lot of force behind the kick and my apprehension turned to elation very quickly. Seeing that stand erupt from ground level was a site that will stay with me forever.

bornadog
13-10-2016, 11:30 AM
I was on the wing on the bottom level so had a side profile. My immediate thoughts were it had pulled up a bit and I was worried, but there was a lot of force behind the kick and my apprehension turned to elation very quickly. Seeing that stand erupt from ground level was a site that will stay with me forever.

I felt Channel 7 stuffed up with that piece of play. Watching the replay they didn't really get the full picture of Tom's big kick. The camera was still on Buddy and Morris, when Boyd pounced and went for it.

Twodogs
13-10-2016, 12:36 PM
I was at the opposite end in the forward pocket, ground level. I was lucky, from my view point it looked like it bounced through no problems so I was going nuts before anyone. That was the best feeling.

You just have been near us because that's the vantage we had too.

I felt Channel 7 stuffed up with that piece of play. Watching the replay they didn't really get the full picture of Tom's big kick. The camera was still on Buddy and Morris, when Boyd pounced and went for it.

I will never forget that breath we all took as the ball stood on its end trying to make up it's mind whether it was going to go through or not. When it did it go through for a goal was the second greatest moment of my life.

1eyedog
13-10-2016, 02:23 PM
You just have been near us because that's the vantage we had too.

I will never forget that breath we all took as the ball stood on its end trying to make up it's mind whether it was going to go through or not. When it did it go through for a goal was the second greatest moment of my life.

Directly behind the birth of your child yeah rather than the final siren?

It's a toss up for me, nah I'll take the final siren (my son would want it that way).

The Pie Man
13-10-2016, 02:25 PM

I would've been just above you BAD (Level 2A) and the ball did seem to bounce right up, which delayed celebrations. Once we realised it was a goal, my brother almost broke my sunnies hanging from my t-shirt with a bear hug from behind as I sorta stumbled across him.

The roar of his point a minute later just before the ball went past the post was also damn loud. If that had gone in....

1eyedog
13-10-2016, 02:28 PM

I was already on the hugging strangers trip as soon as the ball landed in the square.

MrMahatma
14-10-2016, 01:40 AM
I was on level 2, just centre side of the 50 meter line the end that goal was kicked to. Decent spot.... and I can't hardly remember a thing.

I was a total nervous wreck most of the game and was sitting amongst a bunch of, largely Sydney supporting, corporates.

Still hugged them though.

ratsmac
14-10-2016, 08:55 PM
I too was right behind the goals in the top level at the front. When the ball sat up a bit I think everyone in my area held their breath. When it was through it was mayhem. I wish I could go back in time and live that moment again.

Twodogs
14-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Directly behind the birth of your child yeah rather than the final siren?

It's a toss up for me, nah I'll take the final siren (my son would want it that way).

Nah. Final siren I'm afraid. I've really struggled with this and while I won't ever feel that feeling of total love I felt when I first held my kids, the pure adrenaline fuelled excitement and complete euphoria from when the kid in front of us said there was 98 seconds left and we realised we were ICING THE CLOCK IN A GRAND FINAL!!! and putting the full stop on the greatest month of football any of us will ever see until after the presentations was better.

That was insane.

Dancin' Douggy
15-10-2016, 08:41 AM
Hey everyone, it's October 15. Happy Tom Boyd day to all of you and your families.

LostDoggy
15-10-2016, 09:21 AM
Hey everyone, it's October 15. Happy Tom Boyd day to all of you and your families.

How apt would it be if JMac pulled out a big, audacious move on Tom Boyd day.

1eyedog
15-10-2016, 09:22 AM

Got in before me - bugger. I had my sig to remind me as well.

Dancin' Douggy
15-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Got in before me - bugger. I had my sig to remind me as well.

I saw your sig this morning and thought 'hang on, THAT'S TODAY!!!!'

KT31
15-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Happy Tom Boyd Day all.:):D:D

Bulldog Revolution
16-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Has TB day replaced festive

Twodogs
16-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Oh no I missed Tom Boyd day!

Happy Boyd Sunday everybody!

dukedog
17-11-2016, 04:26 PM
I don't know the exact number. But after multiple viewings of the grand final. He takes so many contested marks. He has all the attributes to be a star. I hope his confidence continues from that point on. It will be the only thing to stop him outside of injury. Well done young fella.

choconmientay
17-11-2016, 04:36 PM
I don't know the exact number. But after multiple viewings of the grand final. He takes so many contested marks. He has all the attributes to be a star. I hope his confidence continues from that point on. It will be the only thing to stop him outside of injury. Well done young fella.

I had him BOG for the GF and I guess if he nailed the goal in the 4th quarter, the NS could have been his as well.

His numbers for the GF (leading marks for us):

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Player K H D M HO FF FA T G B AF
1Tom Boyd 10 4 14 8 14 0 0 0 3 2 96
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9cLwjBMiR79kVS_7yr_sCY6gQ6daf0YMacG2s5KpX1oF9lz_7_ux3TqQ_5Vc cC1NeGT3T4Ss1obaWRE50_bCfy_Ut4Ss0iIhoJcuD1cGgruyRiIJyPtCWGxk Lw4PfxIiMDHid_pw7EEWR4wBx58yp3OGCbImsCv_z-Neo1Ui4dwHrB14IsPYlnbXJumYzxGrTGoxxJdKyp6B57zDmi_G5Zx3IbrpVY R7BA3-TG1Xh435z11q2qS2eTAQkFPhFx0p8jH_cjyl6JzSHDn4k93i96p8ONLUH9vj h5rqapZYCOl9aMW5HO2XflMuqVQETTcXPTCTnGgjZSX0VhJasXed1mkmGbBQ DxEMQmQUjdW-yyoO5lj8WqlOA_qlzUfo7AxlOrgF9sShodcxulZvziiMiFR2g2kEDde4hqGI royOUFNhRFYXqgKnADarVPLWAyqa9o3eroQck44NAgqMhrjqAvZdArOpxb3_ gXXvQeXCA0U1z35TJS3IdXve3QJRgHpOm-xFp-3krJaOjPOpAnXWq9WuEbcWtqNuJaSk-_O0TbyFBlfIVhZf8AJTEQ_UwHrKfOs31sFu9W_dgTiOgB4pHnZpHIy-pZuZZ1hE7EH3GZ52SdvJ (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9cLwjBMiR79kVS_7yr_sCY6gQ6daf0YMacG2s5KpX1oF9lz_7_ux3TqQ_5Vc cC1NeGT3T4Ss1obaWRE50_bCfy_Ut4Ss0iIhoJcuD1cGgruyRiIJyPtCWGxk Lw4PfxIiMDHid_pw7EEWR4wBx58yp3OGCbImsCv_z-Neo1Ui4dwHrB14IsPYlnbXJumYzxGrTGoxxJdKyp6B57zDmi_G5Zx3IbrpVY R7BA3-TG1Xh435z11q2qS2eTAQkFPhFx0p8jH_cjyl6JzSHDn4k93i96p8ONLUH9vj h5rqapZYCOl9aMW5HO2XflMuqVQETTcXPTCTnGgjZSX0VhJasXed1mkmGbBQ DxEMQmQUjdW-yyoO5lj8WqlOA_qlzUfo7AxlOrgF9sShodcxulZvziiMiFR2g2kEDde4hqGI royOUFNhRFYXqgKnADarVPLWAyqa9o3eroQck44NAgqMhrjqAvZdArOpxb3_ gXXvQeXCA0U1z35TJS3IdXve3QJRgHpOm-xFp-3krJaOjPOpAnXWq9WuEbcWtqNuJaSk-_O0TbyFBlfIVhZf8AJTEQ_UwHrKfOs31sFu9W_dgTiOgB4pHnZpHIy-pZuZZ1hE7EH3GZ52SdvJ=s1315-no)

bornadog
17-11-2016, 05:10 PM
I had him BOG for the GF and I guess if he nailed the goal in the 4th quarter, the NS could have been his as well.

WESTERN BULLDOGS
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9cLwjBMiR79kVS_7yr_sCY6gQ6daf0YMacG2s5KpX1oF9lz_7_ux3TqQ_5Vc cC1NeGT3T4Ss1obaWRE50_bCfy_Ut4Ss0iIhoJcuD1cGgruyRiIJyPtCWGxk Lw4PfxIiMDHid_pw7EEWR4wBx58yp3OGCbImsCv_z-Neo1Ui4dwHrB14IsPYlnbXJumYzxGrTGoxxJdKyp6B57zDmi_G5Zx3IbrpVY R7BA3-TG1Xh435z11q2qS2eTAQkFPhFx0p8jH_cjyl6JzSHDn4k93i96p8ONLUH9vj h5rqapZYCOl9aMW5HO2XflMuqVQETTcXPTCTnGgjZSX0VhJasXed1mkmGbBQ DxEMQmQUjdW-yyoO5lj8WqlOA_qlzUfo7AxlOrgF9sShodcxulZvziiMiFR2g2kEDde4hqGI royOUFNhRFYXqgKnADarVPLWAyqa9o3eroQck44NAgqMhrjqAvZdArOpxb3_ gXXvQeXCA0U1z35TJS3IdXve3QJRgHpOm-xFp-3krJaOjPOpAnXWq9WuEbcWtqNuJaSk-_O0TbyFBlfIVhZf8AJTEQ_UwHrKfOs31sFu9W_dgTiOgB4pHnZpHIy-pZuZZ1hE7EH3GZ52SdvJ (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9cLwjBMiR79kVS_7yr_sCY6gQ6daf0YMacG2s5KpX1oF9lz_7_ux3TqQ_5Vc cC1NeGT3T4Ss1obaWRE50_bCfy_Ut4Ss0iIhoJcuD1cGgruyRiIJyPtCWGxk Lw4PfxIiMDHid_pw7EEWR4wBx58yp3OGCbImsCv_z-Neo1Ui4dwHrB14IsPYlnbXJumYzxGrTGoxxJdKyp6B57zDmi_G5Zx3IbrpVY R7BA3-TG1Xh435z11q2qS2eTAQkFPhFx0p8jH_cjyl6JzSHDn4k93i96p8ONLUH9vj h5rqapZYCOl9aMW5HO2XflMuqVQETTcXPTCTnGgjZSX0VhJasXed1mkmGbBQ DxEMQmQUjdW-yyoO5lj8WqlOA_qlzUfo7AxlOrgF9sShodcxulZvziiMiFR2g2kEDde4hqGI royOUFNhRFYXqgKnADarVPLWAyqa9o3eroQck44NAgqMhrjqAvZdArOpxb3_ gXXvQeXCA0U1z35TJS3IdXve3QJRgHpOm-xFp-3krJaOjPOpAnXWq9WuEbcWtqNuJaSk-_O0TbyFBlfIVhZf8AJTEQ_UwHrKfOs31sFu9W_dgTiOgB4pHnZpHIy-pZuZZ1hE7EH3GZ52SdvJ=s1315-no)

I love the top right corner pic with Caleb - Shortest with tallest

I also love when Boyd kicked the long goal and he was running and waving his arms, and Mclean jumps on his back. Boyd just keeps running like there is only a fly on his back.

divvydan
17-11-2016, 05:32 PM

6 of his 8 marks in the GF were contested.

1eyedog
17-11-2016, 05:35 PM

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Thanks for the new screen saver!

Twodogs
17-11-2016, 06:06 PM

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Wasn't it fantastic to see a massive unit like Tom running around wearing a red white and blue and being the difference between the two sides in contest after contest and then he goes and snaps the lid on their coffin with a humungus goal in the last quarter. At last it didn't happen to us. We did had the dominant big men on the ground with Boyd and Roughead. Us. The Bulldogs. Had better talls. Two of them. Theirs were useless, Buddy? Pfft, Buddy hopeless if you ask me. Like they say-"the quick blokes slow down at the end of the game but the tall blokes don't get any shorter, except for Liam Picken"

Twodogs
17-11-2016, 06:06 PM

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Wasn't it fantastic to see a massive unit like Tom running around wearing a red white and blue and being the difference between the two sides in contest after contest and then he goes and snaps the lid on their coffin with a humungus goal in the last quarter. At last it didn't happen to us. We did had the dominant big men on the ground with Boyd and Roughead. Us. The Bulldogs. Had better talls. Two of them. Theirs were useless, Buddy? Pfft, Buddy hopeless if you ask me. Like they say-"the quick blokes slow down at the end of the game but the tall blokes don't get any shorter, except for Liam Picken" And our talls stood tall when it really mattered.

And Liam Picken, obviously.

Greystache
17-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Wasn't it fantastic to see a massive unit like Tom running around wearing a red white and blue and being the difference between the two sides in contest after contest and then he goes and snaps the lid on their coffin with a humungus goal in the last quarter. At last it didn't happen to us. We did had the dominant big men on the ground with Boyd and Roughead. Us. The Bulldogs. Had better talls. Two of them. Theirs were useless, Buddy? Pfft, Buddy hopeless if you ask me. Like they say-"the quick blokes slow down at the end of the game but the tall blokes don't get any shorter, except for Liam Picken" And our talls stood tall when it really mattered.

And Liam Picken, obviously.

You can say that again :D

bornadog
17-11-2016, 06:35 PM
You can say that again :D

and he did :D

Twodogs
17-11-2016, 06:42 PM
I've been stuttering a lot lately. Quite a few posters have. That must be the third or forth today.

choconmientay
17-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Theirs were useless, Buddy? Pfft, Buddy hopeless if you ask me.

... did I hear you mumbling something about the other millionaire... Tippett ... 😁 ...

dukedog
17-11-2016, 09:44 PM
Wasn't it fantastic to see a massive unit like Tom running around wearing a red white and blue and being the difference between the two sides in contest after contest and then he goes and snaps the lid on their coffin with a humungus goal in the last quarter. At last it didn't happen to us. We did had the dominant big men on the ground with Boyd and Roughead. Us. The Bulldogs. Had better talls. Two of them. Theirs were useless, Buddy? Pfft, Buddy hopeless if you ask me. Like they say-"the quick blokes slow down at the end of the game but the tall blokes don't get any shorter, except for Liam Picken"

Picken from behind! Picken from behind. The smallest man of the threesome! ~ dennis

Twodogs
17-11-2016, 09:44 PM
... did I hear you mumbling something about the other millionaire... Tippett ... �� ...

Who?:D

dukedog
17-11-2016, 10:03 PM

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Cheers choco for those stats. 6 of 8 marks contested. Boy were they pretty damn good marks too. Yeh for mine..... he should have had norm smith if he kicked that last 1..... kennedy had it in the bag at half time. Dunno who moved to him or if it was a collective after that... JJ is a star ...wouldnt take it off him now its done and dusted.

boydogs
17-11-2016, 11:14 PM
Dunno who moved to him or if it was a collective after that

Libba

jeemak
17-11-2016, 11:42 PM
I've been stuttering a lot lately. Quite a few posters have. That must be the third or forth today.

Imagine the tune Stutter Rap was actually each verse of the tune repeated due to an elongated stutter like your post was. Society would be different.

Twodogs
17-11-2016, 11:47 PM
Imagine the tune Stutter Rap was actually each verse of the tune repeated due to an elongated stutter like your post was. Society would be different.

Very different. We might not be looking for a suitable rock to hide under to ride the Trump administration out.

Mofra
18-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Dunno who moved to him or if it was a collective after that... JJ is a star ...wouldnt take it off him now its done and dusted.
Most of the halftime break for the midfield group was spent devising a way to nullify his influence.
I think Libba & Macrae were tag teaming - Libba the beast inside, Macrae the gut runner.

Webby
29-11-2016, 04:03 PM
Just reflecting on the ridiculously impatient and fickle summations on Tom Boyd's early career. Decided to compare him to a great ruck-forward of a bygone era - the 2 inches shorter champion of the game, Roger Merrett. 313 games, 455 goals.

Roger was in his sixth season of AFL footy before he took more than 25 marks in a season. He was 23 years of age at that point. He went on to take 1279, captaining Victoria and playing in dual premiership sides. Brisbane broke the bank to get him up north at the end on 1987.

Boyd has only just turned 21. He's never taken less than 23 marks in a season and is a premiership player. A premiership player who was very stiff not to be a Norm Smith medalist.

What will he be like at 23!!?? Judging by Roger, he's still two years ahead of schedule!

Twodogs
29-11-2016, 04:41 PM
The knives used to be out for Merret in his first few years. Articles about how he couldn't play ex players saying he was only in the team to go the knuckle and intimidate opposition stars. The entire back page of the Sun with a headline screaming HITMAN with his photo underneath it but not naming him in the article. He came of age in a finals series too from memory.

choconmientay
29-11-2016, 05:10 PM
This rubbish was dished up by Mark Robinson 9 months ago:

Does big Tom Boyd have what it takes?

The chief football writer for the Herald Sun is not sure that Bulldogs young forward Tom Boyd is capable of producing enough on the field to justify his massive contract.

“Not a lot,” said Robinson regarding what he did against Melbourne.
“And that’s not to say he’s not a good footballer, he’s fine but fine is not good enough in my eyes.
“He took a really nice mark but if you look at Tom Boyd he’s not one out of the box.
“Now he is 20 and we do mark him hard but what can’t be ignored is he’s on a million dollars.
“Has he got the fire within? I don’t think he has.”

But then he was really quick to jump on the bandwagon once we won the GF this year:

It’s often said reputations are made and lost in finals football and that’s exactly what happened.
The million-dollar kid with a million and a half critics, Tom Boyd, stood up when he was needed most.

His 60m bomb for goal in the final quarter, which effectively ended the contest, was more like Wayne Carey than Tom Boyd. Clearly Carey was impressed; he gave Boyd the top votes in the Norm Smith Medal, which was won by the dashing Jason Johannisen.

It wasn’t only the goal. Boyd took some powerful marks in the third quarter and the pulsating final quarter and finished with eight for the match, three goals, and 15 possessions.

His opinion is not really an opinion people appreciated anyway!

1eyedog
29-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Just reflecting on the ridiculously impatient and fickle summations on Tom Boyd's early career. Decided to compare him to a great ruck-forward of a bygone era - the 2 inches shorter champion of the game, Roger Merrett. 313 games, 455 goals.

Roger was in his sixth season of AFL footy before he took more than 25 marks in a season. He was 23 years of age at that point. He went on to take 1279, captaining Victoria and playing in dual premiership sides. Brisbane broke the bank to get him up north at the end on 1987.

Boyd has only just turned 21. He's never taken less than 23 marks in a season and is a premiership player. A premiership player who was very stiff not to be a Norm Smith medalist.

What will he be like at 23!!?? Judging by Roger, he's still two years ahead of schedule!

I think in 3 years Boyd will be the second most influential player in the competition.

SlimPickens
29-11-2016, 06:12 PM
This rubbish was dished up by Mark Robinson 9 months ago:

But then he was really quick to jump on the bandwagon once we won the GF this year:

His opinion is not really an opinion people appreciated anyway!

Robbo copped it from all and sundry at the Grand Final after function.

choconmientay
29-11-2016, 06:17 PM

And so he should... well deserved ��

bornadog
29-11-2016, 06:36 PM

So should all the other journos and so called commentators who bagged him over the past two seasons.

Topdog
30-11-2016, 10:39 AM
I think in 3 years Boyd will be the second most influential player in the competition.

Behind the Bont?

stefoid
30-11-2016, 12:49 PM
While we are talking commentator backflips, does anyone remember Lings comments when we dropped his mate Brendan as coach?

Former Geelong players who worked with McCartney at the Cats took to social media to vent their frustrations.

“Well that’s just set the Dogs back 10years,” David Wojcinski tweeted.

“After 3 seasons, Macca 20wins 46 losses v Clarko 28wins 40 losses. Dogs baulk v Hawks didn’t. Average club v great club. Success takes time,” Geelong premiership captain Cameron Ling tweeted.

“Sounds like some precious souls at the @westernbulldogs have cost a great person and coach his job. He will contribute to success elsewhere,” Jason Davenport, now coaching at North Shore, said.

Twodogs
30-11-2016, 01:31 PM
While we are talking commentator backflips, does anyone remember Lings comments when we dropped his mate Brendan as coach?

Former Geelong players who worked with McCartney at the Cats took to social media to vent their frustrations.

“Well that’s just set the Dogs back 10years,” David Wojcinski tweeted.

“After 3 seasons, Macca 20wins 46 losses v Clarko 28wins 40 losses. Dogs baulk v Hawks didn’t. Average club v great club. Success takes time,” Geelong premiership captain Cameron Ling tweeted.

“Sounds like some precious souls at the @westernbulldogs have cost a great person and coach his job. He will contribute to success elsewhere,” Jason Davenport, now coaching at North Shore, said.

Yep. Melbourne have been a stunning sucess given they run the place on the smell of an oily rag. And what did Clarkson and Hawthorn have to do with anything? They were trying to Geelongify the place not Hawthornfy it.

hujsh
30-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Yep. Melbourne have been a stunning sucess given they run the place on the smell of an oily rag. And what did Clarkson and Hawthorn have to do with anything? They were trying to Geelongify the place not Hawthornfy it.

The lesson is great clubs stick with their coach. Like Richmond with Hardwick.

Greystache
30-11-2016, 05:03 PM
I don't get the constant rhetoric that Geelong is a "great" club. They've won 3 flags in 53 years, are hemorrhaging money, and their fans are dropping off in droves 2 years after missing the prelim for the first time in 8 years. If it weren't for one group of players that was put together on the back of the now defunct F&S system they'd have nothing more to show for half a century's work than Melbourne. Let's see how great they are in another 5 years.

Greystache
30-11-2016, 05:05 PM
The lesson is great clubs stick with their coach. Like Richmond with Hardwick.

Collingwood are doing just as well under Buckley. 2 flags in 50 years and less wins year on year for 5 consecutive season. That's why they're such a great club.

#StandByBuckley

1eyedog
30-11-2016, 05:05 PM
I don't get the constant rhetoric that Geelong is a "great" club. They've won 3 flags in 53 years, are hemorrhaging money, and their fans are dropping off in droves 2 years after missing the prelim for the first time in 8 years. If it weren't for one group of players that was put together on the back of the now defunct F&S system they'd have nothing more to show for half a century's work than Melbourne. Let's see how great they are in another 5 years.

As a matter of interest I read somewhere a year or two ago that they have the oldest supporter base of any of the AFL teams.

Greystache
30-11-2016, 05:19 PM
As a matter of interest I read somewhere a year or two ago that they have the oldest supporter base of any of the AFL teams.

Is any club's supporters older on average than Norf? I mean in any sport, anywhere in the world?

A friend took his great grandmother to a Norf game for the first time when she was visiting from France last year and some of their supporters told her it was good to see some young blood in the crowd! They're old I tell ya.

I heard someone in their cheer squad say they remember when Collingwood was good, they're old I tell ya.

An announcement came over the PA at Etihad that called for Beryl go to the ground announcers office, half their crowd got up and moved. They're old I tell ya.

GVGjr
30-11-2016, 07:27 PM

That one group was drafted in over a few seasons. As you say they also did OK with father son selections

Players drafted that played over 50 games
1999 - 4 played at least 250 games. 1 over 50
2000 - 2 Players over 100 games
2001 - 3 players over 200 games, GAJ 192 , 3 more over 50 games
2002 - 3 players over 100 games, one them Mackie 257 and counting
2003 - 2 players over 50 games, lean year
2004 - 1 player over 50 games another lean year
2005 - 2 players over 100 games, 1 over 50
2006 - 2 players over 150 games, both still playing

I tend to think they have stalled both on and off the field over the last 2 years so it will be interesting to see how they perform over the next 2 years.

1eyedog
30-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Behind the Bont?

That's the dream :)

Twodogs
01-12-2016, 01:21 AM
That one group was drafted in over a few seasons. As you say they also did OK with father son selections

Players drafted that played over 50 games
1999 - 4 played at least 250 games. 1 over 50
2000 - 2 Players over 100 games
2001 - 3 players over 200 games, GAJ 192 , 3 more over 50 games
2002 - 3 players over 100 games, one them Mackie 257 and counting
2003 - 2 players over 50 games, lean year
2004 - 1 player over 50 games another lean year
2005 - 2 players over 100 games, 1 over 50
2006 - 2 players over 150 games, both still playing

I tend to think they have stalled both on and off the field over the last 2 years so it will be interesting to see how they perform over the next 2 years.

It'd be interesting to see how many premierships came from each draft.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Picken from behind! Picken from behind. The smallest man of the threesome! ~ dennis

My favourite mark ever.
It said we had plenty of tricks in our kit bag, including flying like an eagle, even if he was only inches off the ground when he eventually took it.

Twodogs
17-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Watching the finals in random order it stands out more and more what a good mobile ruckman Tom is. Ruckman usually develop slowly. But Tom has delivered a fairly Superhuman effort in the prelim against a genuine monster in Mumford. Mumford got on top in the third and was driving his team heme. For Tom to wrest control back and play a big part in the win was a huge effort.

Then to have a huge role in the Grand Final. Delivering the body blow in the last quarter and polling well in the NS made him the dominant ruckman and arguably the dominant big man on the ground.

But he didn't really have a bad final playing the ruck/forward role that the best players take years to develop into. All at 21. You can see now why he went at #1 and was being talked up as a genuine #1. The money we spent, the deal we did (it's funny the meeja have been quiet about Marchbank heading home after minimal time at GWS-no castigation from the plastics themselves. But then Marchbank was a good boy and went 'home' to Carlton) anyway it all seems worth it now.

1eyedog
17-12-2016, 09:24 PM
Watching the finals in random order it stands out more and more what a good mobile ruckman Tom is. Ruckman usually develop slowly. But Tom has delivered a fairly Superhuman effort in the prelim against a genuine monster in Mumford. Mumford got on top in the third and was driving his team heme. For Tom to wrest control back and play a big part in the win was a huge effort.

Then to have a huge role in the Grand Final. Delivering the body blow in the last quarter and polling well in the NS made him the dominant ruckman and arguably the dominant big man on the ground.

But he didn't really have a bad final playing the ruck/forward role that the best players take years to develop into. All at 21. You can see now why he went at #1 and was being talked up as a genuine #1. The money we spent, the deal we did (it's funny the meeja have been quiet about Marchbank heading home after minimal time at GWS-no castigation from the plastics themselves. But then Marchbank was a good boy and went 'home' to Carlton) anyway it all seems worth it now.

Easily the most dominant big man on the ground in the GF. I've said it once I've said it a million times, he delivered a cup and can ride on the back of that for the rest of days.

Twodogs
17-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Easily the most dominant big man on the ground in the GF. I've said it once I've said it a million times, he delivered a cup and can ride on the back of that for the rest of days.

Hopefully that isn't the plan though.

jeemak
18-12-2016, 12:57 AM
A ruck/forward who can kick goals is the rarest commodity in the game. Tom is shaping up to be one such player, and I'm stoked we've got him.

Topdog
21-05-2017, 08:53 PM
What did people make of his game against Geelong? I missed about 75% of the game but the mark and goal in the last was promising.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2017, 09:01 PM
What did people make of his game against Geelong? I missed about 75% of the game but the mark and goal in the last was promising.

Ripping game. 20 disposals, 33 hit outs, 2.1 off his boot. That was a ripping contested mark, which is why we need him to have Roughie back so he can have more time to do those things like his huge speccy against Sydney.

What the media don't talk about, is that he's not played and trained as a ruck until probably last year. So for a kid new to the tap out contest he's fairly advanced, and his tank has had to deal with rucking most games by himself as the solo ruckman. He'd be stuffed all week I reckon, and really testing that reco'd shoulder too. I didn't know he was a card carrying member of the handball club too.

He's still 21, which the media like to gloss over, and when he gets Roughie & English to create a big guy trio, they'll be an amazing group of highly versatile big men.

Remi Moses
21-05-2017, 09:07 PM
Thought he was pretty decent . Love to see him clunk some of those he gets his hands on .
As tragic said he's still only young as far as big men go

lemmon
21-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Agree with BT, he was excellent. He's spending far too much time in the ruck at the moment for mine though, he was really dangerous up front and we lost something without him there.

jeemak
21-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Surely that puts him in the team of the week as a ruck.

Sedat
21-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Had an excellent game - he is channeling his inner Ben Hudson with his repeat efforts at the ruck stoppages. Unfortunately that soft as shit Zac Smith made some very telling tap work that gave the Cats some very clean and easy clearance ball into their F50. But for a novice 21yo ruckman, Boyd is improving his craft at an alarming rate.

jeemak
21-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Had an excellent game - he is channeling his inner Ben Hudson with his repeat efforts at the ruck stoppages. Unfortunately that soft as shit Zac Smith made some very telling tap work that gave the Cats some very clean and easy clearance ball into their F50. But for a novice 21yo ruckman, Boyd is improving his craft at an alarming rate.

Bevo not setting up for that, or the on-ground leaders not setting up for that was most telling. The arrogance of our club from a centre bounce set up in particular pretty much cost us the game (apart from the Cloke and Adams brain fades, of course).

ratsmac
22-05-2017, 12:32 AM
Bevo not setting up for that, or the on-ground leaders not setting up for that was most telling. The arrogance of our club from a centre bounce set up in particular pretty much cost us the game (apart from the Cloke and Adams brain fades, of course).
I couldn't believe how many times either Danger or selwood had the ball tapped straight to them. They pretty much strolled out the centre with little pressure thrusting the ball forward putting our defenders under immediate pressure. Why we didn't have someone stand next to them is staggering.

Twodogs
22-05-2017, 01:22 AM
I couldn't believe how many times either Danger or selwood had the ball tapped straight to them. They pretty much strolled out the centre with little pressure thrusting the ball forward putting our defenders under immediate pressure. Why we didn't have someone stand next to them is staggering.

Only daggy teams tag opposition players apparantly.