PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Gilbee in 2008

BulldogBelle
28-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Gilbee's 2007 season was slightly marred due to his injury in the middle part of the season. We definitely missed his long kicking and precision around the ground.

With a good pre-season behind him, I await his pinpoint accuracy to his team mates in season 2008. Great to watch when he is at his best. Where do you guys think is his best position to play?

GVGjr
28-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Gilbee's 2007 season was slightly marred due to his injury in the middle part of the season. We definitely missed his long kicking and precision around the ground.

With a good pre-season behind him, I await his pinpoint accuracy to his team mates in season 2008. Great to watch when he is at his best. Where do you guys think is his best position to play?

I'd like to see him further up the ground with where is kicking into the forward line could provide our forwards with plenty of quality options. The problem with this is Gilbee has been typecast by Eade as a defender who can be best used on taller opponents to create a mismatch and a midfielder who cannot handle a close checking opponent. I'm not sure that I agree with this but I do understand the logic in it.

The problem Gilbee is now faced with is opposition teams that keep dragging him deep in defence which stifles his run and carry and overall effectiveness. It might be an overstatement but Gilbee probably needs to reinvent himself to some small degree and prove to the coach he is capable of being more than just a play making defender.

hujsh
28-12-2007, 10:21 PM
I think we should look to get the ball to Gilbee anywhere near the forward 50. He will either kick a goal or pass to someone closer. If this means he needs a new position then someone like Everitt could take his role and possibly improve on what Gilbee has done.

BulldogBelle
28-12-2007, 10:32 PM
The problem Gilbee is now faced with is opposition teams that keep dragging him deep in defence which stifles his run and carry and overall effectiveness.

This happened quite a bit during the season with the opp players dragging him back into defence. In season 2006 before this tactic was employed by the opposition teams he was roaming free and kicking those goals of his we all love to see.

wimberga
28-12-2007, 11:18 PM
I actually believe that Gilbee does quite a good job as a defender, but slotting Everitt into his position and pushing Gilbee upfield does sound like a good option. Gilbee is more damaging than Everitt (From the little we have seen) and pin-point delivery into the forward 50 was severely lacking last season, so im all for this one. Whos got Eades number?

hujsh
29-12-2007, 12:34 AM
I actually believe that Gilbee does quite a good job as a defender, but slotting Everitt into his position and pushing Gilbee upfield does sound like a good option.

The problem with him as a defender is if it takes away some of his attacking skills. A lot
of players make the defense their first position untill they get settled.

We have the best kick in the comp so we should use him where he can be most dangerous. I believe that the opposing teams would choose to have Gilbee kick out from full back than taking shots from outside 50. The question is whether he can find the ball up the field.

Everitt will also be a better defender because of his height. :)

westdog54
29-12-2007, 12:39 AM
I think we should look to get the ball to Gilbee anywhere near the forward 50. He will either kick a goal or pass to someone closer. If this means he needs a new position then someone like Everitt could take his role and possibly improve on what Gilbee has done.

The first time I saw Everitt kick a football at training the first thing that came across my mind was that he'd fill Gilbee's role within 2 years. He was hitting 55 metre drop punts with little to no effort in his kicking action. I think he's the best natural kick at the club.

There's a thread going about how much we rely on Johnson up forward. I think the question could just as easily be asked of Gilbee coming out of defence. We need someone to be able to step into this role to take the pressure off Lindsay, and Skinny seems to me to be the ideal canditate.

LostDoggy
29-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Just two things about Gilbee
1. He doesn't handle a tag too well.
2. Whilst he is smart enough on the football field his isn't the smartest going around which means his development and adaption to different tactics/plays/etc are slower than others.

Dogs 24/7
29-12-2007, 01:08 PM
The problem with this is Gilbee has been typecast by Eade as a defender who can be best used on taller opponents to create a mismatch and a midfielder who cannot handle a close checking opponent. I'm not sure that I agree with this but I do understand the logic in it.

The problem Gilbee is now faced with is opposition teams that keep dragging him deep in defence which stifles his run and carry and overall effectiveness. It might be an overstatement but Gilbee probably needs to reinvent himself to some small degree and prove to the coach he is capable of being more than just a play making defender.

Just two things about Gilbee
1. He doesn't handle a tag too well.
2. Whilst he is smart enough on the football field his isn't the smartest going around which means his development and adaption to different tactics/plays/etc are slower than others.

1 He needs to learn how to do this. Its to convenient of an excuse to just sling him into the back line because he cant hand the tag
2 He needs to develop in this area. Coaches are good at making excuses for players but I regard Gilbee as a pure footballer who will adjust as needed if given the opportunity.

Mantis
29-12-2007, 05:30 PM
As Ernie mentioned Gilbee struggles when moved from defence or when a defensive forward picks him up.

He is best suited as previously mentioned in a role across half back where he can use kicking skills in a quarterback type role.

No doubt he is in our top 5 most important players.

Dogs 24/7
29-12-2007, 06:17 PM
As Ernie mentioned Gilbee struggles when moved from defence or when a defensive forward picks him up.

He is best suited as previously mentioned in a role across half back where he can use kicking skills in a quarterback type role.

So what you and others are saying is he is not much more than a skilled one trick one position pony and that is dependant on if the opposition allows him to be ? If they sling a defensive minded forward on him he cant handle it ?
Now that clubs have seen how to curb his influence and given that the belief is that he cant play anywhere else it will be hard to rate him as a top 5 player in 2008
I dont believe that he cant be good in other positions. If he has trouble with the tag then he needs to be better than that and nothing I have seen says that he wont adapt.

hujsh
29-12-2007, 07:10 PM

I haven't really seen Gilbee play in the midfield or forward but is it possible he could perform better now than when he was younger because he is settled in the side?

dog town
29-12-2007, 07:30 PM
I haven't really seen Gilbee play in the midfield or forward but is it possible he could perform better now than when he was younger because he is settled in the side? Gilbee played forward in 3 or 4 games this year and even started round 1 across half forward against the cats. Just doesn't get enough of the ball in that role to do him justice. He is a natural running defender or wingmen. With Mcmahon gone I would be extremely suprised if he plays anywhere other than across half back.

hujsh
29-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Gilbee played forward in 3 or 4 games this year and even started round 1 across half forward against the cats. Just doesn't get enough of the ball in that role to do him justice. He is a natural running defender or wingmen. With Mcmahon gone I would be extremely suprised if he plays anywhere other than across half back.

Well my point was to use him where he would he best and it seems like that is the back flank. :)

Dogs 24/7
29-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Gilbee played forward in 3 or 4 games this year and even started round 1 across half forward against the cats. Just doesn't get enough of the ball in that role to do him justice. He is a natural running defender or wingmen. With Mcmahon gone I would be extremely suprised if he plays anywhere other than across half back.

Wing is a position I could see him playing for us.

Bulldog Revolution
30-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Wing is a position I could see him playing for us.

He has always seemed a natural wingman to me, but having him develop as a backman has greatly improved the defensive side to his game. Basically it would be good to have him wherever he is going to get as much of the ball as possible because he is such a brilliant kick. On a wing its a great thought to think of him getting more shots on goal, but I guess the issue might be whether he can find as much of the footy on a wing.

Mantis
30-12-2007, 11:00 AM
So what you and others are saying is he is not much more than a skilled one trick one position pony and that is dependant on if the opposition allows him to be ? If they sling a defensive minded forward on him he cant handle it ?
Now that clubs have seen how to curb his influence and given that the belief is that he cant play anywhere else it will be hard to rate him as a top 5 player in 2008
I dont believe that he cant be good in other positions. If he has trouble with the tag then he needs to be better than that and nothing I have seen says that he wont adapt.

I don't think he is a one trick pony so to speak. Gilbee is probably in the top 2 or 3 in the competition for his role and his achievements show this. He was AA in 06 and probably until half way through last year was in similiar form. Not having Griffen in the team and with McMahon out of form we were forced to use Gilbee as our sole 'run and carry' option from defence. The opposition were awake to this and he was paid much closer attention.

With Griffen coming back into the team next season and the emergence of Everitt we will have a few other options which may help to free Gilbee up.

I agree with opthers that his defensive work is underrated and he is quite capable of beating his man in a 1 on 1 duel which is a must for any player positioned in the defensive area.

hujsh
30-12-2007, 02:34 PM
I agree with opthers that his defensive work is underrated and he is quite capable of beating his man in a 1 on 1 duel which is a must for any player positioned in the defensive area.

In round one i saw him beat N.Ablett a couple of times and he beat one of the Cloke brothers for a quarter or so in 05 i think but i would feel safer if Everitt was doing that job

Mantis
30-12-2007, 08:24 PM
In round one i saw him beat N.Ablett a couple of times and he beat one of the Cloke brothers for a quarter or so in 05 i think but i would feel safer if Everitt was doing that job

With the introduction of Williams, Everitt and McDougall into our defence in the 2nd half of last year Gilbee didn't and wont have to fill these types of roles (playing against taller opponents) again. He is very comfortable playing against a player of similiar size.

Bulldog Revolution
30-12-2007, 11:29 PM

Hes very good in the air and generally spoiks above his weight and height, but I guess the challenge of shutting players down in the midfield is knowing when to go and get it, or read the play, and when to stay with them and shut them down.

bornadog
21-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Lindsay is struggling to regain that form that got him an all Australian a few years ago. I love watching this bloke play, running down the ground bouncing the ball, then receiving a pass 50 metres out and banging a long goal.

What can Eade do to get his confidence up again? Is he carrying an injury that we don't know about? Should Eade move him into a different role? Any thoughts?

Go_Dogs
22-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Maybe some time in the middle where he might escape a tag (doubtful he'd escape it though). Besides that, perhaps Everitt/Ray back in the side playing of half back could also assist him. He's our only quality runner in the back half at the moment, and I'm sure the opposition are doing everything to see the ball in the hands of Lake, Morris, Shaggy, Wight, Williams, Callan or Addison before Gilbee gets it.

His year has been a bit quiet, but he's been pretty effective in a few matches. Hopefully he'll continue to build and improve as the season wears on. We must remember that Gilbee only really needs 15-20 touches to be very damaging. We just have to be able to use him in the right spots, where he can use his strengths.

bornadog
22-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Maybe some time in the middle where he might escape a tag (doubtful he'd escape it though). Besides that, perhaps Everitt/Ray back in the side playing of half back could also assist him. He's our only quality runner in the back half at the moment, and I'm sure the opposition are doing everything to see the ball in the hands of Lake, Morris, Shaggy, Wight, Williams, Callan or Addison before Gilbee gets it.

His year has been a bit quiet, but he's been pretty effective in a few matches. Hopefully he'll continue to build and improve as the season wears on. We must remember that Gilbee only really needs 15-20 touches to be very damaging. We just have to be able to use him in the right spots, where he can use his strengths.

He is still averaging 19 touches a game, although this is down on the past couple of sesasons.

LostDoggy
22-05-2008, 10:04 AM
He got smashed early in the game against Freo and that took a bit out of him.

The Underdog
22-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Shutting down his run is a huge focus for opposition teams. They know how important and dangerous he is for us and have paid him the according respect. I guess Lindsay has to learn how to deal with this but he also needs help from his teammates blocking and trying to free up space for him to get the ball in his hands. I think his confidence is probably down a bit at the moment but I've no doubt he'll bounce back. I don't know whether moving him around is going to help too much as he'll be tagged regardless of where he plays and while he is a great shot for a goal, I think moving him forward would be self defeating and mess with a structure that has had great results thus far.