PDA

View Full Version : Nat Fyfe Rumours This Trade Period

bulldogtragic
08-10-2016, 12:53 PM
His name keeps getting mentioned in trade articles, not specific to our club. His manager has stated there's been numerous offers put to him to leave this trade period. The jungle drums are getting louder and you can see how it fits into Freo's stated strategy of needing a key forward, key back and run. To deliver McCarthy & Hill (& a full back, maybe Hamling) and keep pick 4, they need more picks in.

With our salary cap banking and Will & Koby gone/likely gone, we now have the cap space to accomodate him, and if Hamling wants to Freo that opens up a trade discussion about how much more of a trade get Fyfe. Is this something that we should be seriously looking at?

bornadog
08-10-2016, 01:55 PM
The Bont and Fyfe, now there is a partnership to rival Geelong's.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2016, 02:02 PM
The Bont and Fyfe, now there is a partnership to rival Geelong's.

Bonts: 192cm, 93kg, 21 in 2017
Fyfe: 192cm, 93kg, 25 in 2017
Stringer: 192cm, 93kg, 22 in 2017
Macrae: 191cm, 85kg, 22 in 2017
Dunkley: 190cm, 85kg, 19 in 2017

That'd be a huge midfield/resting forward line. Then little guys like Libba, Wallis, Picken, Jong, Dahl, Webb etc.

Topdog
08-10-2016, 02:06 PM
I honestly dont think we have what it takes to get him with our first pick being 18. If Jong left and we had picked up 9 then maybe but at this stage I cant see it happening.

hujsh
08-10-2016, 02:09 PM
I honestly dont think we have what it takes to get him with our first pick being 18. If Jong left and we had picked up 9 then maybe but at this stage I cant see it happening.

Yeah no currency and little left to trade with of value. At a minimum a trade would have to involve Hamling or Adams but we'd still need more than pick 18 and the likes or Hrovt, Stevens and Honey probably can't get us enough to bring him over.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2016, 02:10 PM

A lot of if's. If Hamling wants to go. If Hrovat goes to GCS and we do 18 for 9, also Koby around pick 30 (about what we paid). We could offer 9, 30 & Hamling as a starting point.

Freo get their full back, keep pick 4, and then have currency to get McCarthy as full forward and Hill for more outside run. Their Ballantyne trade gets them Aaron Black or Shane Kersten too. Moving Fyfe is the best thing for them I think. Whether we have the trade currency is the issue.

Twodogs
08-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Couldn't see it. Fyfe would be Hamling and two single figure draft picks which we don't have and couldn't get without giving the Bont away, and that's not going to happen because the footy club people like the ground without the grandstands burnt down.

And his legs are Donald.

1eyedog
08-10-2016, 02:23 PM
A lot of if's. If Hamling wants to go. If Hrovat goes to GCS and we do 18 for 9, also Koby around pick 30 (about what we paid). We could offer 9, 30 & Hamling as a starting point.

Freo get their full back, keep pick 4, and then have currency to get McCarthy as full forward and Hill for more outside run. Their Ballantyne trade gets them Aaron Black or Shane Kersten too. Moving Fyfe is the best thing for them I think. Whether we have the trade currency is the issue.

They'd have too look at that. They need to rebuild a list, from the bottom. Fyfe is 25 and while he may play finals again in 4-5 years he'll be near to 30 with his best football behind him. If they get Hamling now at 23 and Pick 9 and a later pick they'd have to look at it, especially if Fyfe nominates us. I hope we're looking at it too. I think Fyfe's value has dropped slightly with that leg, while Hamling's has certainly shot through the roof. We may still come up a bit short though.

Still, Murphy, Crameri, Fyfe, Adams and Cloke into the side next year = back to back flags.

azabob
08-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Lets not under sell Hamling.

Who out of Hamling and Fyfe is the premiership player?

Ghost Dog
08-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Nathan Hrovat will be the next Nat Fyfe. Mark my words.

Throughandthrough
08-10-2016, 04:27 PM
as long as we dont get Rockliff. Awesome player but by some close reports loves to Party.....

Twodogs
08-10-2016, 04:55 PM
as long as we dont get Rockliff. Awesome player but by some close reports loves to Party.....

Yep. I've heard that too. I have also heard that even though Rockliff and Pearce Handley are great mates they aren't exactly good for one another in that they can get a bit silly in one another's company.

Topdog
08-10-2016, 06:39 PM
In what World is Hrovat getting us a 9 pick upgrade in the first round?

chef
08-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Yeah, if Hrovat goes it'll be for Carltons pick 41 and thats it.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2016, 06:52 PM
In what World is Hrovat getting us a 9 pick upgrade in the first round?

Ordinarily I'd agree. Jong & Hartlett knocking them back helps a tad. GCS enquired reasonably strongly about him last year, so we know they rate him. But GCS have a few Academy picks at the pointy end which opens up mathematicians to get involved. The downgrade is only a little over 550 draft points. If we traded 37 for 41, that gets them 71 points back. Effectively they get Hrovat for less than 500 draft points, or draft points to the value of pick 37. (That's assuming Stevens can't help us get something better than 37). That's pretty close to win-win if we get top 10 and they get Rat for effectively pick 50. If Carlton's 41 is the best offer, I'd rather take a first round upgrade and second round downgrade.

Edit: This is the math:

Pick 8 to Pick 18: 566 loss in draft points
Pick 41 to Pick 37: 71 gain in draft points

495 loss of draft points - equivalent to pick 37. So essentially GCS get Hrovat for pick 37.
(If Stevens netted us a pick at 30 for example, & we used that and kept 37 the loss would be only 349 points or equivalent to pick 45)

We'd have pick 8, 37, 41 & 59 (in the Stevens scenario).

GCS keep 4, 6, 14 & 18, 22, 23, 25, 27 & 30 and get Hrovat included in that (for effectily pick 45 such is the minor draft point downgrade). That's how it can be sold.

Doc26
08-10-2016, 07:06 PM
Yeah, if Hrovat goes it'll be for Carltons pick 41 and thats it.

That would be some fall in value from us using our selection 21 on him in the 2012 draft, and at #21 that was seen to be unders for him at the time.

He really hasn't had a good run at it with injuries as yet and would hate to give any form of leg up to Carlton even though they did us a big favour handing us Caleb Daniel for Liam Jones.

We should be looking at trade options with a Club like Melbourne. If they can give up pick 25 for Melksham with his low ceiling, Hrovat at 41 would seem on the low side unless it included a sweetener.

azabob
08-10-2016, 07:06 PM
Nathan Hrovat will be the next Nat Fyfe. Mark my words.

In what way?

Ghost Dog
08-10-2016, 07:12 PM
In what way?

Going to explode out of the blocks and predicting him to be a bolter for 2017;)

Now when I get laughed at, please remember my call that Picken should play forward a few years ago.
I just know these things, trust me. :)

Twodogs
08-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Yeah. It's a good theory.

Topdog
08-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Ordinarily I'd agree. Jong & Hartlett knocking them back helps a tad. GCS enquired reasonably strongly about him last year, so we know they rate him. But GCS have a few Academy picks at the pointy end which opens up mathematicians to get involved. The downgrade is only a little over 550 draft points. If we traded 37 for 41, that gets them 71 points back. Effectively they get Hrovat for less than 500 draft points, or draft points to the value of pick 37. (That's assuming Stevens can't help us get something better than 37). That's pretty close to win-win if we get top 10 and they get Rat for effectively pick 50. If Carlton's 41 is the best offer, I'd rather take a first round upgrade and second round downgrade.

Edit: This is the math:

Pick 8 to Pick 18: 566 loss in draft points
Pick 41 to Pick 37: 71 gain in draft points

495 loss of draft points - equivalent to pick 37. So essentially GCS get Hrovat for pick 37.
(If Stevens netted us a pick at 30 for example, & we used that and kept 37 the loss would be only 349 points or equivalent to pick 45)

We'd have pick 8, 37, 41 & 59 (in the Stevens scenario).

GCS keep 4, 6, 14 & 18, 22, 23, 25, 27 & 30 and get Hrovat included in that (for effectily pick 45 such is the minor draft point downgrade). That's how it can be sold.

I appreciate the effort you have put into that possibility and to be honest I'm not fully across the trade points and how they work but that is still a 9 pick downgrade in the first round for a guy who played only 4 games for us this year and has been plagued by injuries.

Much like Jong probably had his highest value right now and Hamling too, Hrovat's value is most likely at it's lowest right now

bulldogtragic
08-10-2016, 08:40 PM
I appreciate the effort you have put into that possibility and to be honest I'm not fully across the trade points and how they work but that is still a 9 pick downgrade in the first round for a guy who played only 4 games for us this year and has been plagued by injuries.

Much like Jong probably had his highest value right now and Hamling too, Hrovat's value is most likely at it's lowest right now

I'm not going to push the barrow, suffice to say it's not about the downgrade in and of itself, in a traditional sense of players of the highest quality. Odds are they may have to match a bid before pick 7. So their natural pick 8 is not going to be pick 8 by the time points are deducted after a match. It could conceivably be dropped well passed 18. A trade that keeps good first round points and nets them a player they've previously enquired about may actually be a better outcome overall for them with the technical nature of the draft point system. For instance Sydney traded pick 23 for picks 36 & 37 last year which ordinarily you'd suggest would not be wise, but it's the fine print behind the point system. If they traded down, kept a heap of first round points and got Hrovat for a point value equivalent to pick 50 it's a win-win. I guess the question is do GCS rate Hrovat at about pick 37 to 50 in a trade.