PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Adams requests trade home to WA

Twodogs
14-10-2016, 11:54 AM
According to SEN thus morning. Personal issues.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Still under contract. Needs to be good value for him on his limited but exposed form before injury.

bornadog
14-10-2016, 11:56 AM
According to Stevo, he has been homesick for awhile. Well *!*!*!*! me dead, you big sook.

Dancin' Douggy
14-10-2016, 12:01 PM
No way!!!

Throughandthrough
14-10-2016, 12:03 PM
According to Stevo, he has been homesick for awhile. Well *!*!*!*! me dead, you big sook.

Harsh.

EasternWest
14-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Seems like a pretty solid citizen so I'm inclined to think his reasons are fair enough. Sorry to see him go, hopefully we can orchestrate something good for him.

LostDoggy
Adams is worth a late first rounder IMO.

jazzadogs
Lost a fair bit of respect here. Certainly acknowledge that he had a difficult time leading into the draft and has a tight knit family, but as a mature age recruit given a lifeline there needs to be an element of professionalism which is missing.

Having said that, it's now being reported that he is happy to stay if no suitable trade can be reached.

lemmon
14-10-2016, 12:09 PM
First rounder or no deal. He's improved his currency and with Hamling looking likely, he's a key player

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Lost a fair bit of respect here. Certainly acknowledge that he had a difficult time leading into the draft and has a tight knit family, but as a mature age recruit given a lifeline there needs to be an element of professionalism which is missing.

Having said that, it's now being reported that he is happy to stay if no suitable trade can be reached.

I'd trade him whilst under contract, and his value is highest. If he pulls it next year, our leverage is gone. Use him to grab a big name player.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Piss weak

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 12:13 PM
I don't remember a recent premier having a queue wanting out. Do they not realise what we have going?

The Bulldogs Bite
14-10-2016, 12:15 PM
I don't remember a recent premier having a queue wanting out. Do they not realise what we have going?

It's quite frustrating. Geelong and Hawthorn kept the bulk of their good sides together.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-10-2016, 12:16 PM

Look at it as weeding out the selfish ones who would rather individual success than team success. I get leaving for more senior opportunity (Rat and Honeychurch), but Stevens and Adams must be about money.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Look at it as weeding out the selfish ones who would rather individual success than team success. I get leaving for more senior opportunity (Rat and Honeychurch), but Stevens and Adams must be about money.

I think that's a bit harsh. It has been widely reported that we removed our contract offer to Stevens earlier in the year.
And at this early stage we do not have any insight into Adams' apparent motive for wanting out.

Mofra
14-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Stevens is leaving for opportunity. 100%

MrMahatma
14-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Adams is worth a late first rounder IMO.

Absolutely.

comrade
14-10-2016, 12:41 PM

Footy isn't like it used to be. Player movement has completely changed in the last 12-24 months and will only get more volatile.

Murphy'sLore
14-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Is there seriously any point in having a national draft any more? All these players getting homesick... is there any point in requiring players to move interstate when they end up wanting to go home?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-10-2016, 12:47 PM
I was wondering that too Murphy's Lore

bulldogsthru&thru
14-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Stevens is leaving for opportunity. 100%

Would have thought, as a regular in our midfield last year and early this year, he would tough it out and back himself, just like Jong is doing. It's not like he's been playing VFL footy his entire time here. Can't see him lasting long in the seniors for the saints if he just expects a spot. He'll have to work for it

Bulldog Revolution
14-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Wow, hope we can keep Marcus and Joel - they are our ideal backline pairing

GVGjr
14-10-2016, 01:06 PM
I dont know the reason other than what has been reported but its been building to this type of soft reasons for leaving with players for a while now.
Its time for clubs to stand players out if they cant complete contracts. I just dont believe home sickness is a good enough reason to break a contract.

We've tended to avoid drafting players from WA for a while now. Does this sort of request just reinforce the notion of being very selective with drafting players from WA?

Topdog
14-10-2016, 01:16 PM
I dont know the reason other than what has been reported but its been building to this type of soft reasons for leaving with players for a while now.
Its time for clubs to stand players out if they cant complete contracts. I just dont believe home sickness is a good enough reason to break a contract.

Why not? It happens all over the World. You see people going to live overseas for 2 years come back after 3 months because they just couldnt handle being away from family and friends. Everyone is different and I believe Adams will still be on his rookie contract so the trade certainly isnt about money.

lemmon
14-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Why not? It happens all over the World. You see people going to live overseas for 2 years come back after 3 months because they just couldnt handle being away from family and friends. Everyone is different and I believe Adams will still be on his rookie contract so the trade certainly isnt about money.

Then don't play AFL football. Players enter the draft knowing it's a national competition and sign contracts at interstate clubs.

If you arent cut out for that, play in the WAFL

Twodogs
14-10-2016, 01:22 PM

He has to get the draft wage next year regardless but he could get a two year extension from one of the WA clubs as a lure.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Would have thought, as a regular in our midfield last year and early this year, he would tough it out and back himself, just like Jong is doing. It's not like he's been playing VFL footy his entire time here. Can't see him lasting long in the seniors for the saints if he just expects a spot. He'll have to work for it

We removed our contract offer from the table for Stevens... I'm not sure what you expect Stevens to do.. other than to wait to be delisted??

Twodogs
14-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Hope he stays we need some key defenders next year.

Probably. Bevo will think of something.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Adams - Barass

Pick 35 2015 - Pick 43 2013
30 June 93 (23) - 8 October 15 (21)
193cm & 98kg - 194cm & 88kg
11 Games - 13 Games
5.7 marks Ave - 4.9 marks Ave
1.5 C/Marks Ave - 1.4 C/Marks Ave
16.3 disposals Ave - 11.5 disposals Ave
80 SuperCoach Ave - 69 SuperCoach Ave
Intercepting KPD - Intercepting KPD

If we can't use him in a big trade with a WA team, this is the closest like for like player.

Topdog
14-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Then don't play AFL football. Players enter the draft knowing it's a national competition and sign contracts at interstate clubs.

If you arent cut out for that, play in the WAFL

Yes and the people that sign up to jobs interstate and in other countries also know that they are going interstate. Not everyone can hack it.

For all the commotion about players going home it is still something like less than 5%. Its probably less than 1% in all likelyhood

azabob
14-10-2016, 01:33 PM
We removed our contract offer from the table for Stevens... I'm not sure what you expect Stevens to do.. other than to wait to be delisted??

We removed Boyd's, not even sure Stevens had one on the table. But agree Stevens has no choice but to explore his options.

azabob
14-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Adams - Barass

11 Games - 13 Games

If we can't use him in a big trade with a WA team, this is the closest like for like player.

I would do that swap. Where is he from?

Perhaps McKenzie could be an option. Not sold on him though.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 01:38 PM
Adams - Barass

11 Games - 13 Games
1.5 C/Marks Ave - 1.4 C/Marks Ave

Adams and Pick 18
Fyfe and Pick 75

Done

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 01:38 PM
I would do that swap. Where is he from?

Perhaps McKenzie could be an option. Not sold on him though.

Claremont, WA.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-10-2016, 01:39 PM
We removed Boyd's, not even sure Stevens had one on the table. But agree Stevens has no choice but to explore his options.

According to Emma Quayle we offered a contract to Koby earlier in the year and then rescinded the offer.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-trades-2016-western-bulldogs-koby-stevens-chooses-st-kilda-20161012-gs18b0.html

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Barass has played one good game against the Crows. Adams has played enough consistently well to make that swap lopsided in WC's favour.

McDougall come on down.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 01:43 PM
Barass has played one good game against the Crows. Adams has played enough consistently well to make that swap lopsided in WC's favour.

McDougall come on down.

All I said was its a like for like. Personally, I'd be calling Fyffe and Freo about this development.

If Fyffe's not gettable, then I'd call GCS and tell them we have a package of 18, Honeychurch & Adams for them in exchange for Jaeger. With them to find a suitable player trade to their satisfaction with WCE or Freo.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 01:47 PM
All I said was its a like for like. Personally, I'd be calling Fyffe and Freo about this development.

Yeah but you don't trade Dangerfield for David Myers because they are similar heights and weights and they both play midfield.
Adams has heaps more collateral than Barass.

I hope we throw the sink at Fyfe.

bornadog
14-10-2016, 01:59 PM
According to Emma Quayle we offered a contract to Koby earlier in the year and then rescinded the offer.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-trades-2016-western-bulldogs-koby-stevens-chooses-st-kilda-20161012-gs18b0.html

Perhaps he wanted more so it was taken off the table.

GVGjr
14-10-2016, 02:02 PM
There are plenty of employment opportunities where a young fit man like Adams can work and still be home each night but unfortunately industries and careers like the military and the AFL cannot always guarantee that you can pick and choose where you want to live.
In fact the AFL go to great lengths to advise this to all who go through the elite pathway of what they will be giving up. Adams might not have received as much education as some others but he is no 17/18 old either. If clubs have to give players the security of contracts is it that unreasonable to expect them to be met? I dont regard homesickness as a legit reason to put the onus on clubs to accommodate them.

Rocket Science
14-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Yeah but you don't trade Dangerfield for David Myers because they are similar heights and weights and they both play midfield.
Adams has heaps more collateral than Barass.

I hope we throw the sink at Fyfe.

Adams is a good'un, but I reckon you're underselling Barrass, who'd slot in to our back six rather nicely thank you very much.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 02:10 PM
Adams is a good'un, but I reckon you're underselling Barrass, who'd slot in to our back six rather nicely thank you very much.

I don't think I am. Nothing I saw leading up to the Adelaide game impressed me and he was un-sighted against us. I remember MJP saying a while ago that he wasn't up to it. Perhaps that opinion has changed but mine hasn't.

Remi Moses
14-10-2016, 02:10 PM
Couldn't agree more ^^. Pathetic to be honest .
Don't sign up if you only want to play in Perth .
Players breaking contracts has to stop . Just wondering what's that offer after next season?

Remi Moses
14-10-2016, 02:11 PM

What about Alex Pearce at Freo?

Topdog
14-10-2016, 02:12 PM
There are plenty of employment opportunities where a young fit man like Adams can work and still be home each night but unfortunately industries and careers like the military and the AFL cannot always guarantee that you can pick and choose where you want to live.
In fact the AFL go to great lengths to advise this to all who go through the elite pathway of what they will be giving up. Adams might not have received as much education as some others but he is no 17/18 old either. If clubs have to give players the security of contracts is it that unreasonable to expect them to be met? I dont regard homesickness as a legit reason to put the onus on clubs to accommodate them.

Marcus has said that he is happy to stay here in 2017, I'm not sure what more he can do. He gave it a shot, he isn't happy and has advised the club of it. If we can't trade him he will play here next year fulfilling his contract.

bornadog
14-10-2016, 02:14 PM

I agree with you. You can't compare some one going overseas, or moving interstate for a job with a company. Those people don't have to go if they don't want to, but choose to. As you say with the AFL, or Military, you could end up anywhere, and must be prepared to accept that, or just play in your local league.

Similarly, I never bought into Harbrow leaving due to homesickness when some of his family were from Cairns, almost 1800 klms away.

bornadog
14-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Marcus has said that he is happy to stay here in 2017, I'm not sure what more he can do. He gave it a shot, he isn't happy and has advised the club of it. If we can't trade him he will play here next year fulfilling his contract.

I don't get him I am afraid.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 02:15 PM

Doesn't want to be here, doesn't want to play for us, potential as an outsider to a tight knit group and stiffles the development of his replacement. Back across the Nullabor son.

azabob
14-10-2016, 02:22 PM
I wonder if he was homesick in the first half of 2016 when he wasn't injured and playing AFL? I imagine being injured would be lonely and tough.

Rocket Science
14-10-2016, 02:23 PM
What about Alex Pearce at Freo?

Even better. He's basically a bigger, better skilled version of what we'd like Hamling to be.

He'd have to be considered part of the young nucleus at Freo though. I wouldn't be dealing him away if I was Ross.

Topdog
14-10-2016, 02:24 PM
Doesn't want to be here, doesn't want to play for us, potential as an outsider to a tight knit group and stiffles the development of his replacement. Back across the Nullabor son.

Yep that is now our decision to make. But he will happily fulfil his contract so what is all the complaining about?

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 02:27 PM
I wonder if he was homesick in the first half of 2016 when he wasn't injured and playing AFL? I imagine being injured would be lonely and tough.

Would be a bugger having your finger wrapped up and joking around the club and getting that monthly deposit in your account.

Rocket Science
14-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Adams' manager interviewed just now on AFL Trade Radio;

"We haven't demanded a trade. Marcus is a contracted player and we expect him to be at the Western Bulldogs next year".

Dancin' Douggy
14-10-2016, 02:29 PM

"We haven't demanded a trade. Marcus is a contracted player and we expect him to be at the Western Bulldogs next year".

Good.

azabob
14-10-2016, 02:29 PM

Very odd.

azabob
14-10-2016, 02:30 PM
Would be a bugger having your finger wrapped up and joking around the club and getting that monthly deposit in your account.

Only if he gets along with the other guys. He may not?

bornadog
14-10-2016, 02:30 PM

Well WTF has his manager created a meltdown on social media.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 02:32 PM

So where to the Hun get their story?

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 02:34 PM
(Adams Manager) Dover on Adams: There's some personal reason that Marcus would prefer to be able to get back now if he could, we understand that's unlikely.

So he's leaving next year then... Trade him now, while there's a contract and good market value.

Rocket Science
14-10-2016, 02:36 PM

Worth noting, he did continue - in the vaguest of terms - about "personal issues" he wouldn't elaborate on, but seemed like it was an exercise in hosing things down.

Topdog
14-10-2016, 02:36 PM
(Adams Manager) Dover on Adams: There's some personal reason that Marcus would prefer to be able to get back now if he could, we understand that's unlikely.

So he's leaving next year then... Trade him now, while there's a contract and good market value.

Or he plays 20+ games with us next year, wins a premiership and then has even better market value. Can go both ways.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Or he plays 20+ games with us next year, wins a premiership and then has even better market value. Can go both ways.

Or he gets injured again and it comes out he has a brittle body. All that aside, we have the cap space, cash, and some guns available in this trade period. I'd do it now if it meant Fyfe, Jaeger or similar types came for next year.

Rocket Science
14-10-2016, 02:43 PM
'Tis worthy of consideration amidst all this. Pesky foot issues like the one Adam's suffered can be particularly troublesome...

azabob
BT what makes you certain we can fix O'Merea bung knee?

Topdog
Or he gets injured again and it comes out he has a brittle body. All that aside, we have the cap space, cash, and some guns available in this trade period. I'd do it now if it meant Fyfe, Jaeger or similar types came for next year.

Yes hence the comment "Can go both ways"

Trade him if we get something good.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 02:44 PM

Company line. We haven't demanded a trade but we've sniffed out whether there is an opportunity in W.A next year because he wants out. Get what we can for him now while the getting is good.

Re. Jaeger's knee the only ones that have looked at it as far as we know are Hawthorn and they seem confident.

Ozza
14-10-2016, 02:48 PM
Finding it hard to get into the mindset of finally getting to live your dream as a league footballer, and one year in, when the club has won the premiership - wanting to go home.

I'm not criticising Marcus - just always struggle to get my head around how that mindset evolves, when the clubs are all so well resourced with player welfare these days, and especially with him being a mature ager.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 02:49 PM
BT what makes you certain we can fix O'Merea bung knee?

The best sport science resources in the land, great surgeons and a lot of medical expertise on knees and knee injuries. All that said, I'd rather Fyfe, but we have experience with broken legs too.

Topdog
14-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Finding it hard to get into the mindset of finally getting to live your dream as a league footballer, and one year in, when the club has won the premiership - wanting to go home.

I'm not criticising Marcus - just always struggle to get my head around how that mindset evolves, when the clubs are all so well resourced with player welfare these days, and especially with him being a mature ager.

Its been rumoured that he told the club mid season of this.

Remi Moses
14-10-2016, 02:51 PM
You and Fyfe need to get a room

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 02:51 PM

Then we must have been sitting quiet on this for a long time. Then we must have a bigger target in mind.

Sedat
14-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Or he gets injured again and it comes out he has a brittle body.
My biggest concern for Adams is this - he missed 3 different times with multiple different injuries.

azabob
14-10-2016, 02:56 PM

Perhaps hence why Adams went public today to put pressure on, after it appeared we were not actively looking to trade him.

bornadog
14-10-2016, 02:57 PM
My biggest concern for Adams is this - he missed 3 different times with multiple different injuries.

Foot, hand and finished with reconstructed shoulder.

EasternWest
14-10-2016, 03:58 PM

Same place as always: sources close to the club/player.

Or maybe Don, the doyen of Industrial Relations involving his hobby. Sorry, I'm still bitter.

comrade
14-10-2016, 04:03 PM
Adams manager is just doing the right thing by the the Dogs and not publicly holding us over a barrel. Good on him for giving us some leverage, rather than going the Colin Young route and forcing his player to sit out for a year.

I reckon Adams is absolutely no chance at being at our club next year.

whythelongface
14-10-2016, 04:05 PM
wow. Just read this. Certainly disappointing. Don't wish to judge him either as he may have issues to deal with but, as others have stated, players know the nature of the game and that potentially they may be drafted interstate.

On the other hand we are more than happy to be recipients of trades that involve players returning to Victoria (mid-contract).

lemmon
14-10-2016, 04:06 PM
We're in the window now. He makes us a better team next year. I'd rather have Adams playing in the 2017 Grand Final than a draft pick, even if he leaves a week later

chef
14-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Gee this sucks. First Hamling and now Adams. Leaves us pretty short down back.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-10-2016, 04:14 PM
So article on AFL.com.au saying he hasn't requested a trade back and will play with the dogs next year.

It mentioned he had discussed with the dogs about moving back home if a good deal came about.

The concern is him leaving for nothing next year

chef
14-10-2016, 04:18 PM
So which is it, does he want to stay or go?

bornadog
14-10-2016, 04:22 PM
https://everyrecordtellsastory.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/should_i_stay_or_should_i_go_uk-the-clash.jpg

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 04:22 PM

Wants to go chef will stay if he has to.

If Adams and Hamling go we need at least one established key back to come in and be ready to go at preseason training. We can't do it with Fletch, Cordy and Collins.

jeemak
14-10-2016, 04:37 PM
We're in the window now. He makes us a better team next year. I'd rather have Adams playing in the 2017 Grand Final than a draft pick, even if he leaves a week later

I agree.

Let's get the most out of him while we're in the hunt for another flag.

bornadog
14-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Terry Wallace saying he is worth a late 2nd round.

whythelongface
14-10-2016, 04:46 PM
I am not a fan of keeping a player who does not want to be at the club. Whilst he hasn't said this directly his intention is that he wants to go home.

We are better off trading him now whilst he has some currency. Next year could go pear shaped for him (and us) as his head, and heart, may not be in the right space. If he has an ordinary season then his trade value is decreased and he may not have any suitors through the trade period and thus ends up going west via the PSD.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 04:46 PM

That's what he was drafted as. Pick 35. I think his games show an increase in value, not decrease.

Twodogs
14-10-2016, 04:47 PM

I agree.

Let's get the most out of him while we're in the hunt for another flag.

He could sit in the medical room all next year too. Ideally we'd trade out a KPD and trade one on but they don't grow on trees.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 04:48 PM
I am not a fan of keeping a player who does not want to be at the club. Whilst he hasn't said this directly his intention is that he wants to go home.

We are better off trading him now whilst he has some currency. Next year could go pear shaped for him (and us) as his head, and heart, may not be in the right space. If he has an ordinary season then his trade value is decreased and he may not have any suitors through the trade period and thus ends up going west via the PSD.

100% on everything you've said. Time to pull all the currency we have on the table and get a huge result for the losses.

hujsh
14-10-2016, 04:48 PM

We drafted him with 35 IIRC.

So how after proving he can play the game as a team's main defender at a level that's arguably all-Australian does he then drop or keep the same value?

Sometimes these guys lose perspective on what a draft pick is worth. They might turn out great but they're still gambles with much more uncertain outcomes.

Mantis
14-10-2016, 04:50 PM
That's what he was drafted as. Pick 35. I think his games show an increase in value, not decrease.

In an open market, yes.. But we are a bit pigeon holed in having to deal only with the WA teams.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 04:50 PM

I can smell a Cam McCarthy pie in the oven. Has to go now.

AndrewP6
14-10-2016, 04:54 PM
I say keep him. He can add value to the team, if fit he'll play. We know what he is capable of, if we trade him for a pick, that may or may not result in a player that can play a role. Reading the quotes from his manager, doesn't seem at all like McCarthy to me.

whythelongface
14-10-2016, 04:55 PM
I can smell a Cam McCarthy pie in the oven. Has to go now.

My thinking exactly. Players in this position seem to have clubs over a barrel. We need to ensure that this situation does not arise here.

He has made his intentions clear. Forget the moral posturing and get the best trade we can whilst he still has some currency.

whythelongface
14-10-2016, 04:57 PM
I say keep him. He can add value to the team, if fit he'll play. We know what he is capable of, if we trade him for a pick, that may or may not result in a player that can play a role. Reading the quotes from his manager, doesn't seem at all like McCarthy to me.

Player Managers are like politicians. Promise the world but never deliver. Only in it for themselves and their clients.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 04:58 PM

Things can change very quickly and it seems very McCarthy to me. Asked for a trade back to W.A didn't get it, publicly said he'll play at GWS if he can't get home and then personal / mental issues surfaced again and went home. I get concerned about personal / mental issues it almost always results in that player being where they need to be.

I'm not saying it's definitely a mental issue, but by default a personal issue manifests as a mental burden so if he isn't sound of mine re. wanting to play for us I think we need to reduce risk now and get what we can for him. He / the pick we get may assist with his longer term replacement.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 05:03 PM
I'm sure both WA clubs would want him. Unless he's part of a monster trade, I think the best bet is a player trade close to like for like. WCE have McKenzie & Barass (Brown is a FA & McGovern untouchable). Freo don't have a tall defender, perhaps Michael Apeness or an outside runner, Darcy Tucker who went pick 27 last year (to Adams pick 35).

azabob
14-10-2016, 05:03 PM
According to fox Fremantle isn't interested in Adams.

Doc26
14-10-2016, 05:04 PM

Yes just read that as well.

a few seconds ago by JAKE NIALL Source: FOX SPORTS

FREMANTLE is not interested in Western Bulldogs key defender Marcus Adams, who reportedly wants to return home to Perth.

However, the Dockers remain keen on another Dogs tall back, Joel Hamling, and are waiting to hear whether he wants to leave the premiers and head to Western Australia, his home state.

Fremantle says it has its priorities — which includes Hamling and Geelong forward Shane Kersten — and it will not pursue Adams.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 05:09 PM

I wonder if that changes if Hamling stays.

bornadog
14-10-2016, 05:09 PM

Hamling a priority for us.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 05:10 PM

Then I guess it's what we can get off West Coast, who are actually gettable.

McKenzie, Barass, 1st & second round upgrades, is Duggan gettable?

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 05:11 PM
I wonder if that changes if Hamling stays.

I read when Hammer was talking to Bevo this week the focus was playing games, not a depth player. If Adams, goes that all bar guarantees him a game if fit and some form.

ledge
14-10-2016, 05:14 PM
Wow to be honest I would take Adams way ahead of Hamling . Thought any club would jump at Adams.

1eyedog
I read when Hammer was talking to Bevo this week the focus was playing games, not a depth player. If Adams, goes that all bar guarantees him a game if fit and some form.

Bugger. They're both our first pick key backs at the moment. It sucks. I reckon West Coast will be into him and I reckon Freo would too if Hamling stays.

Topdog
Things can change very quickly and it seems very McCarthy to me. Asked for a trade back to W.A didn't get it, publicly said he'll play at GWS if he can't get home and then personal / mental issues surfaced again and went home. I get concerned about personal / mental issues it almost always results in that player being where they need to be.

My memory of the incident is very different. McCarthy asked for an immediate trade and said he didn't want to be at the club. GWS denied the rumour and said he was contracted and refused to trade him. His manager advised that they need to trade him and if they didnt he would be demanding a trade again in 12 months time. He was in the media every day pleading for the deal to get done.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 05:16 PM
My memory of the incident is very different. McCarthy asked for an immediate trade and said he didn't want to be at the club. GWS denied the rumour and said he was contracted and refused to trade him. His manager advised that they need to trade him and if they didnt he would be demanding a trade again in 12 months time. He was in the media every day pleading for the deal to get done.

I thought initially his manager said that he'll play if a deal can't be brokered because he did not want to miss out on a full year of football.

bulldogtragic
So Freo don't want him. WCE don't need him (McGovern, McKenzie, Hurn, Barass & possibly Brown etc). Hmmm.

Doc26
Hamling a priority for us.

I would hope so. Is there a spot on our list for Kersten without Travis ? Might help sure up Joel.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 05:20 PM
I would hope so. Is there a spot on our list for Kersten without Travis ? Might help sure up Joel.

Thought of that, no. He's not tall enough or have the aerobic capacity of Cloke. Stringer, Crameri, Dickson and Smith would all be in front of him for the mid sized forward. Add in genuine talks and smalls and hard to see any justification to grab him.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 05:24 PM

Big no to Kersten. Geelong have no decent mid-sized forwards* and are prepared to let him go. It's for a reason.

*except for Menzel who is no certainty to play through a full year.

Rocket Science
14-10-2016, 05:24 PM
https://everyrecordtellsastory.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/should_i_stay_or_should_i_go_uk-the-clash.jpg

https://s22.postimg.org/cw6699h3l/flash.png (https://postimg.org/image/fq9bmpj9p/)

Sorry, couldn't resist...am actually a fan of all four.

G-Mo77
14-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Don't want to leave your home state don't put your name in the draft. If he doesn't want to be here now then why hold onto him until his contract runs out, ship him off now. I know Marcus' situation is probably a little sensitive because of what happened in the past but I'm really tired of hearing I want to go home.

bornadog
14-10-2016, 05:38 PM
https://s22.postimg.org/cw6699h3l/flash.png (https://postimg.org/image/fq9bmpj9p/)

Love it, that is brilliant

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 05:40 PM
Absolutely sensational work. You've done that perfectly.

Rocket Science
14-10-2016, 05:42 PM

Suspect that's heavily tinged with prioritising Hamling and wanting to be seen to prioritise Hamling.

I'm sure they'd hardly scoff at adding Adams, particularly should Hamling stay.

Doc26
14-10-2016, 06:29 PM

Koby in that guise is a dead ringer for Graham Lowe

Doc26
14-10-2016, 07:35 PM
From 3AW Sports Today

Craig Vozzo has confirmed to us the Eagles are interested in Western Bulldogs defender Marcus Adams.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 07:39 PM
From 3AW Sports Today

Of course they are. It wouldn't have been made public unless the Adams' camp had secured the interest.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 07:42 PM
From 3AW Sports Today

They have pick 34 which doesn't really interest me as our window is open. They may offer Lamb and I don't want him at all. I'd love Duggan (Western Jets boy, maybe he's home sick...) and would happily give them a second rounder to accompany him. Conversely, we may need to look at one of their gettable KPDs as a replacement which is only really Barass or McKenzie (McGovern going nowhere and Brown is a free agent).

Doc26
14-10-2016, 07:49 PM
They have pick 34 which doesn't really interest me as our window is open. They may offer Lamb and I don't want him at all. I'd love Duggan (Western Jets boy, maybe he's home sick...) and would happily give them a second rounder to accompany him. Conversely, we may need to look at one of their gettable KPDs as a replacement which is only really Barass or McKenzie (McGovern going nowhere and Brown is a free agent).

Can't see them moving Barrass given how strong he came on in the backend of the season.

McKenzie possibly gettable. Real shame this one as Marcus showed so much in his 11 matches for us.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Can't see them moving Barrass given how strong he came on in the backend of the season.

McKenzie possibly gettable. Real shame this one as Marcus showed so much in his 11 matches for us.

They've got us over a barrel since Freo has publicly declared they're not interested. But I'd be going at Duggan hard with an offer and WCE can have the best second rounder we can find. We would need to move quickly on a free agent KPD though.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 07:53 PM
They've got us over a barrel since Freo has publicly declared they're not interested. But I'd be going at Duggan hard with an offer and WCE can have the best second rounder we can find. We would need to move quickly on a free agent KPD though.

Didn't he sign a long term deal this year - not that that matters...

Doc26
14-10-2016, 07:54 PM

At least with Marcus he is contracted to us so a mutual
deal will need to be negotiated.

Beveridge and Simmo are pretty close which may help not getting shafted.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 07:54 PM
Didn't he sign a long term deal this year - not that that matters...

Maybe, don't know. Give him our best pitch and a good offer and see.

LostDoggy
14-10-2016, 08:00 PM
I know he's going home for personal reasons but I still cant help feel pissed off about it and the huge amount of players that return to their home state due to homesickness. I know homesickness sucks, but doesn't that just come with the job?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Exactly Sophie why have a national league if no one wants to leave their home state?

comrade
14-10-2016, 08:18 PM
Have to laugh at Freo saying they're not interested. They almost vomited on the table when we took him at the draft just before them.

Happy to hear WC have entered the fray. Should lead to a decent deal now that 2 clubs are involved.

Still firmly believe there is no chance he's at the club next year.

GVGjr
14-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Similarly, I never bought into Harbrow leaving due to homesickness when some of his family were from Cairns, almost 1800 klms away.

Harbrow also used the I want to go home routine but I don't want to deal with Brisbane clause. At least he was out of contract.

GVGjr
14-10-2016, 08:40 PM
You and Fyfe need to get a room

Can you please start using the quote feature so we know what you are responding to?

GVGjr
14-10-2016, 08:42 PM

Thats roughly where we drafted him

Murphy'sLore
14-10-2016, 08:42 PM
McKenzie possibly gettable.

You mean I might get my player named Eric after all?

EasternWest
14-10-2016, 08:43 PM

RS you're in a league of your own. Stellar.

Greystache
14-10-2016, 08:55 PM

And his mental demons and homesickness were so extreme he refused to play for anyone but Fremantle. Coincidently the club he barracked for and had photos of himself at the club and with the players all over his Facebook. Playing in Perth for West Coast wasn't enough to make him better apparently.

"Personal issues" is the modern day catch all to do what you like without consideration.

LostDoggy
14-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Kinda pissed off that players can just do what they want now. Don't wanna play at the club you got drafted to? No worries, just dictate where you will and won't play on your terms and if you're heading out of contract, well thats just the clubs bad luck. Ugh, what happened to loyalty? (Looking at you, Sam Mitchell, Griffen etc).

Topdog
14-10-2016, 09:17 PM
And his mental demons and homesickness were so extreme he refused to play for anyone but Fremantle. Coincidently the club he barracked for and had photos of himself at the club and with the players all over his Facebook. Playing in Perth for West Coast wasn't enough to make him better apparently.

"Personal issues" is the modern day catch all to do what you like without consideration.

Not sure why you quoted me to be honest, McCarthy and Adams situation could not be any more different but it was quite clear Cameron only wanted one outcome and was quite the douche about it. I would never defend players like him or Harbrow

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-10-2016, 09:35 PM

I am not overly concerned about losing Adams providing we get a good trade deal. I would prefer to go all out to retain Hamling who by season's end had emerged as our best tall defender.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 09:45 PM
afl.com.au

WEST Coast is interested in exploring a deal with the Western Bulldogs to secure mature-age defender Marcus Adams.

It emerged on Friday morning that Adams, 23, was open to a move home to Western Australia despite being contracted to the Bulldogs for 2017.

Adams' manager Jason Dover told NAB AFL Trade Radio that the defender had not specifically requested a trade from the Bulldogs but rather had informed the club that he was open to a move if it would help the club.

Dover clarified that the Bulldogs were very keen to retain him for 2017 and that Adams was more than comfortable to play there next season.

On Friday evening, Eagles football manager Craig Vozzo told 3AW that West Coast would be keen to explore some options with the Bulldogs.

"Marcus is certainly a player of interest to us," Vozzo said.

"He's contracted obviously. We're pretty keen to explore it if that's something that the Bulldogs want to have a look at and Marcus does as well."

Adams played 11 games in his debut season before a foot injury ended his year. The Bulldogs recruited him with pick No.35 in the 2015 NAB AFL draft.

Western Bulldogs premiership defender Joel Hamling is still weighing up a move home to join Fremantle.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 09:49 PM
What a top bloke. Wanting a trade to a club who miraculously wanted him, but only for the good of our club. Deliver a trade for Duggan or play on.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-10-2016, 09:57 PM
"If it would help the club". Turn it up

Eastdog
14-10-2016, 10:28 PM
I am not overly concerned about losing Adams providing we get a good trade deal. I would prefer to go all out to retain Hamling who by season's end had emerged as our best tall defender.

Ideally of course I would like to keep both hold of as many players as we can but yes the reality today is that even the best players who've been at a footy club for many years can move now. I certainly more inclined like you NBP to hang on to Hamling.

Flamethrower
14-10-2016, 10:37 PM
Marcus may have made the offer to help get another trade across the line that we are working on.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 10:39 PM
Could be. Adams is not a fringe player so I hope they're worth it.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Marcus may have made the offer to help get another trade across the line that we are working on.

So we are working on this bigger trade quietly away from the media, but his manager is talking about his clients potential trade as help to us on national radio?

Eastdog
14-10-2016, 10:42 PM
Could be. Adams is not a fringe player so I hope they're worth it.

He has been setback by injuries and we really haven't got to see him play very much but when he was playing he was quite good.

Twodogs
14-10-2016, 11:08 PM
Harbrow also used the I want to go home routine but I don't want to deal with Brisbane clause. At least he was out of contract.

Harbrow was homesick so he moves halfway home? Does the homesickness work in accordance to how close he is to Cairns, like it's not to bad on the Gold Coast but it gets unbearable in Melbourne?

So we are working on this bigger trade quietly away from the media, but his manager is talking about his clients potential trade as help to us on national radio?

Yeah.

Topdog
14-10-2016, 11:24 PM
His manager didn't say that did he? Completely different to what was reported when he was on radio

FrediKanoute
15-10-2016, 12:05 AM

That is my reading - could Adams leaving mean that Hamling is more certain to get a starting role next year which makes him more inclined to sign?

bornadog
15-10-2016, 12:11 AM
That is my reading - could Adams leaving mean that Hamling is more certain to get a starting role next year which makes him more inclined to sign?

I wouldn't think so. Although Adams played some good football, he is not athletic in the Hamling way. My take is Adams doesn't have a leap and is a little on the short side to take on Gorilla forwards. On the other hand, Hamling uses his leap to make up for lack of height on the 200cm players. Overall, they are two different types of players, and could play in the same team.

Twodogs
15-10-2016, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't think so. Although Adams played some good football, he is not athletic in the Hamling way. My take is Adams doesn't have a leap and is a little on the short side to take on Gorilla forwards. On the other hand, Hamling uses his leap to make up for lack of height on the 200cm players. Overall, they are two different types of players, and could play in the same team.

Spot on. They bring different qualities as key defenders and should work well together WITH US holding together our defence with Dale Morris and letting JJ and Murph and Biggsy and Williams and the rest of the young players we can play off half back loose to run and create and drive us to another premiership.

Anyway the Adams stuff looks to be a storm in a teacup. He was just saying if it helps us he's happy to put his hand up to go home if the guy we want is from WA. He's happy to play and we want him to play. End of problem.

Webby
15-10-2016, 07:53 AM
We'll get another year out of Adams and look to trade him back to WA in 12 months time. That's if he's still determined to get there by then.

What this does do, is allow us to focus on holding onto Hamling. So it's not all bad. At least we know Adams' intentions.

Should Hamling re-sign, we have him and Adams for next year, whilst we can focus squarely on sourcing replacements, as well as developing Collins... Also, with Cloke coming in, Cordy will inevitably go back...

... Or perhaps we could bring Michael Talia back..
(That's a joke.., btw!!)

1eyedog
15-10-2016, 09:30 AM
We'll get another year out of Adams and look to trade him back to WA in 12 months time. That's if he's still determined to get there by then.

What this does do, is allow us to focus on holding onto Hamling. So it's not all bad. At least we know Adams' intentions.

Should Hamling re-sign, we have him and Adams for next year, whilst we can focus squarely on sourcing replacements, as well as developing Collins... Also, with Cloke coming in, Cordy will inevitably go back...

... Or perhaps we could bring Michael Talia back..
(That's a joke.., btw!!)

Hamling gone in the media today.

Sedat
15-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Adams must stay next year if Hamling goes IMO. We are in premiership contention in 2017 and we can't afford to lose both from our tenuous KPD stocks. Adams is quality when on the park and has already indicated he is happy to stay next year if no trade can be completed. If Hamling stays, then by all means let's explore the best trade options for Adams now.

Don't like the idea at all of Roughy moving back to key defence - he is the prototype modern ruckman and showed his talent when deployed in his proper role this year.

SonofScray
15-10-2016, 10:54 AM
This was disappointing news to read on a few fronts. From a list perspective we appeared to have turned 180 degrees on our tax defender stocks and looked in good shape to manage the imminent decline/removal of older guys. Adams seemed to be the bolter in that pack, if a little injury prone. With Hamling wanting to go home too we're almost back to square one. A real pickle.

Then just from an individual perspective, it is a bit disappointing for us that Adams isn't getting what he needs from his time in Melbourne. It is hard to fathom that a decent job on good money where you are lauded by thousands of people doesn't hold much protective value for homesickness etc. Players in the NHL get shipped from sunny Anaheim to Nova Scotia in the blink of an eye and get on with it. A few extra zeros on the contract probably the difference there. I feel like the league needs to look at banking out the power between clubs, players and managers. Maybe look at baseball and their "qualifying offers" and "waivers" system to even out the impact of free agency.

Seems like a good guy, showed plenty in is 11 games but I am feeling a bit let down as a fan here. He hasn't given us nearly enough in return for what we've put into him as a person and player.

KT31
15-10-2016, 11:11 AM
This was disappointing news to read on a few fronts. From a list perspective we appeared to have turned 180 degrees on our tax defender stocks and looked in good shape to manage the imminent decline/removal of older guys. Adams seemed to be the bolter in that pack, if a little injury prone. With Hamling wanting to go home too we're almost back to square one. A real pickle.

Then just from an individual perspective, it is a bit disappointing for us that Adams isn't getting what he needs from his time in Melbourne. It is hard to fathom that a decent job on good money where you are lauded by thousands of people doesn't hold much protective value for homesickness etc. Players in the NHL get shipped from sunny Anaheim to Nova Scotia in the blink of an eye and get on with it. A few extra zeros on the contract probably the difference there. I feel like the league needs to look at banking out the power between clubs, players and managers. Maybe look at baseball and their "qualifying offers" and "waivers" system to even out the impact of free agency.

Seems like a good guy, showed plenty in is 11 games but I am feeling a bit let down as a fan here. He hasn't given us nearly enough in return for what we've put into him as a person and player.

Nail on the head SoS.

jazzadogs
15-10-2016, 11:49 AM
It could have been that Adams heard about Hamling potentially leaving, and thought that maybe if he (Adams) left it would increase the chance of Hamling staying. Which is probably fair enough.

Though IMO Adams is our no 1 key defender. If he has a full season of exposed form in 2017, I think we will get better value regardless of contracts.

Twodogs
15-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Yeah he is even more required now.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Unless we get overs, like a Duggan, then we must keep Adams on.

I dare say we are thinking about free agency offers on Brown, Brown & Lonergan now.

LostDoggy
15-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Given the team environment Bevo has built, I see no value in keeping on somebody who'd prefer to be elsewhere. It's contrary to what we are building (and have built). Move him on for the best compensation we can get and move the next soldier into place.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Given the team environment Bevo has built, I see no value in keeping on somebody who'd prefer to be elsewhere. It's contrary to what we are building (and have built). Move him on for the best compensation we can get and move the next soldier into place.

We need to start pushing back on guys with contracts. If we can grab a good young player, say Duggan, than I'd do it as well as looking at maybe Mitch Brown on a two year offer. At least we know Mitch knows how to play complicated zone defensive systems and one on one.

1eyedog
15-10-2016, 06:18 PM

100% agree. Someone will come in and replace them and likely get to play deep into the finals next year.

bornadog
15-10-2016, 06:33 PM
100% agree. Someone will come in and replace them and likely get to play deep into the finals next year.

I feel the same now. Who wouldn't want to play for the Bulldogs.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2016, 06:34 PM
I feel the same now. Who wouldn't want to play for the Bulldogs.

Hrovat, Stevens, Adams & Hamling for starters! :D

FrediKanoute
15-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Guys I may have missed something, but I thought Adams didntvrequest a trade so much as he offered to be a pawn in a trade if it made things easier.

azabob
15-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Guys I may have missed something, but I thought Adams didntvrequest a trade so much as he offered to be a pawn in a trade if it made things easier.

Are you really believing that line?

bornadog
15-10-2016, 06:42 PM
Hrovat, Stevens, Adams & Hamling for starters! :D

If they don't then good luck to them. :D

FrediKanoute
15-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Players come. Players come leave. All of the ones listed above were borderline in orniut of the team. But for Adams' and Murphy's injuries there would probably have been no room for Hamling. Yes he had a superb final series, and really grew into a player, But if he wants to go then we need to extract the best deal possible.

I would be asking for pick 35 and next year's 2nd round pick.

bornadog
15-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Players come. Players come leave. All of the ones listed above were borderline in orniut of the team. But for Adams' and Murphy's injuries there would probably have been no room for Hamling. Yes he had a superb final series, and really grew into a player, But if he wants to go then we need to extract the best deal possible.

I would be asking for pick 35 and next year's 2nd round pick.

With Hamling it is not a matter of wanting to go, but rather the dollars thrown at him over 3 years.

FrediKanoute
15-10-2016, 06:54 PM
With Hamling it is not a matter of wanting to go, but rather the dollars thrown at him over 3 years.

I don't necessarily read it that way. I think that $$$$ plays a part, but the fact he is from WA, his difficulty in breaking into the team until late in 2016, the 3 year deal, and the fact he has a good mate headibg rhere sweeten the deal.

Bulldog4life
15-10-2016, 07:01 PM
I don't necessarily read it that way. I think that $$$$ plays a part, but the fact he is from WA, his difficulty in breaking into the team until late in 2016, the 3 year deal, and the fact he has a good mate headibg rhere sweeten the deal.

I read that we upped our initial offer and in the end there wasnt much between our offer and Freo's

LostDoggy
16-10-2016, 03:41 AM
This is a pivotal moment for the club.

There are examples of smaller teams all over the world who have broken a long hoodoo or won an unexpected championship and gone on to build the foundations of a major club, and then there are those where winning was simply a blip, and they simply fall rapidly back into their history of failure. We cannot become the latter.

Many seem to be taking for granted that the next few years will be rosy, but things can change very quickly in sport, and winning a premiership is never easy, even when things seem to be going well. (We of all people should know that.) We talk about our current team being 2008 Hawthorn, but people forget that they didn’t win their next premiership until 2013, a good five seasons later, and many things had to go right in that five years for them to get back to the summit.

I think it’s obvious that we stand at the precipice of potentially changing the very fundamentals of the club and its relationship to the AFL, to other clubs, and to itself – a historical moment, as it were, which is not unexpected after such a historical victory. There are signs that our membership base will increase significantly over the next 12 months, and corporate support is increasing as well, with Peter Gordon talking about wiping out our debt. A Western Bulldogs with 55,000 – 60,000 members, no debt, and not receiving any equalisation money is a fundamentally different proposition than one with 35,000 members, $10m in debt and the recipient of a handout. It changes the dynamics of our seat at the table and what we can demand and negotiate for in terms of exposure, TV slots, events etc. – success begets success, as it were.

What does this have to do with Adams and Hamling leaving the club?

1. Perhaps nothing. Our defence is primarily built off the back of a manic forward/midfield press which never allows our opposition clean kicks into their forwardline, making the fullback’s job exponentially easier. This has allowed relative journeymen like Adams and Hamling to look like, in the words of one Grand Final commentator, “Matthew Scarlett”. In a way, Beveridge has shown that he can turn any serviceable backman with the right size and mobility into a reasonable stopper with the type of team defence that we play. Perhaps there may even be a plan to turn the Zaine Cordys and Travis Clokes of the world into said stopper.

2. Perhaps trading them is a springboard to a better overall midfield – with the manic style of football we play, a significant injury toll is almost inevitable, thus rotational depth of highly versatile (mainly midfield) players is almost more important than any other factor when it comes to our list. Thus parlaying Adams and Hamling into a Fyfe or some other skilful big bodied mid could be a reasonable outcome.

3. However, lockdown defenders don’t grow on trees, and our stocks are set to be depleted further over the next few years as the greatest pound-for-pound defender we’ve ever had Dale Morris retires. If we are 2008 Hawthorn, remember that they did not get back into their flag winning ways until a certain Brian Lake came in to anchor them to a three-peat.

In short, losing one or both of them creates serious uncertainty at a time when a priority is cementing a baseline from which to improve over the next couple of years. (I think of Leicester City in the English Premier League losing N’golo Kante from their team, and how it has made a significant difference to their defensive performance as no one player has been able to replicate his output from last year. Perhaps it was never replicable, but it certainly hasn’t helped.)

Having said all of that, our football department has more than proven themselves over the past three to four years with a nearly flawless hit rate, so they deserve the benefit of the doubt in terms of their long-range planning. Here’s hoping that they’re working to a clear plan one way or another, and I have every finger crossed that it’ll come off.

Either way, I have no illusions as to how bumpy the next few years may be as we continue to build what is after all a very young and raw list (albeit one with a premiership under its belt).

1eyedog
16-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Great post Lantern but I'm not sure that Hamling leaving and the fortunes of the club are inextricably connected.

I'm upset that Hamling is going straight after a premiership, and moreso perhaps by what I am hearing through the reports that he was waiting for the weekend to make a decision, thereby eliminating the potential for us to start approaching free agents. We are ok for key defensive stocks and I'm not adverse to Adams staying if he is happy to and we buy ourselves an additional year in this department to reload. As you say it is our 22 man defence which alleviates much of the workload from our key backs, so losing Hamling, a player who could not get a game 2 months ago for a decent pick is obviously a significant upgrade from the scrapheap we found him on. Zaine Cordy plays back now and Cloke comes in and plays forward, we are actually stronger on paper with Hamling out and we get to further develop Zaine in his predestined role.

The club's trajectory has taken a remarkable turn over the past two years and I'm less worried about its future than I have ever been, although shaking tins in 1989 means I come from a pretty low base. That said I think our marketing strategy is vastly improved, although I would like to see a 10 / 20 year model for increasing memberships throughout the broader western area. I love all of our apparel and mechandise at the moment, I love Danny doing the banners, I love the strong emotional connotations our club exudes amongst the playing group and Bevo as well as how that permeates to the fans. The fact that the Etihad stadium take over serendipitously coincides with a premiership and thus expected spike in membership also continues us on a path to financial and cultural relevancy.

If we look at the balance of the year we've never been in a better place and it will be years before the west comes down off the back of this premiership. Financially we have never been in a stronger position moving forward, we have 1m in the cap and we just sold 1.5m in premiership merchandise and we netted another million winning the flag. An increase in membership next year will develop a solid foundation for launching a strong marketing push into the west and assist with developing our brand as a destination club. We have talent across all lines on and off the field and a patience that rivals the evolution of our species.

I'm not trying to sell a product here, we all know this and we can all wait another 5 years for a flag. I can wait another 20 off the back of this year's Grand Final win. :)

Hotdog60
16-10-2016, 09:50 AM
Great post Lantern, I have faith in the current Coaches and administration and I think we are seeing a change in how versatile a new age footy team needs to be and some great examples have been that we were still able to get the job done with significant outs during the year.
Adams wasn't there at the pointy end and Hamling wasn't playing great at the start of the season so I think, I hope that we aren't the Hawks of 08 and we don't follow any other template that may have been in the past.
It's time to be the leaders in how a footy club is managed and to be a template for other clubs in the future.
It will be interesting to see how things are in 12 months.

westbulldog
16-10-2016, 02:10 PM
I am all for the loyalty thing. Hamling is replaceable and a long way from indispensable, neither is Adams but I would like Adams to stay,

Twodogs
16-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Adams will stay I reckon.

chef
16-10-2016, 05:54 PM
Yeah agree. He really doesnt have a choice now Hamling is gone.

Im guessing our conversations with him will be give us another committed 12 months and we'll help you get home after next season. Allows us to develop Cordy and Collins some more and everyone wins.

1eyedog
16-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Looking forward to seeing what happens next week.

GVGjr
16-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Unless some generous happens I suspect we will keep Adams to his word that he will see out his contract. Given the draft pick we used last year to acquire him West Coasts pick 34 this year is close to a decent return but we should want a bit more especially now that we won't have Hamling.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Unless some generous happens I suspect we will keep Adams to his word that he will see out his contract. Given the draft pick we used last year to acquire him West Coasts pick 34 this year is close to a decent return but we should want a bit more especially now that we won't have Hamling.

Couldn't agree with you more. Unless there's an offer too good to refuse, we need him for next year beyond our investment back.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2016, 06:45 PM
From afl.com.au

Marcus Adams looks set to remain with the Western Bulldogs in the wake of fellow tall defender Joel Hamling's request for a trade to Fremantle.

Adams had discussions with the Bulldogs in the second half of the season about the possibility of returning home to Western Australia in the trade period, but always knew it was a remote prospect.

After Hamling requested a trade to the Dockers on Saturday, the Bulldogs contacted Adams to reiterate he remained a required player.

Adams is happy to play on at the Whitten Oval in 2017 and appreciates his prospects of cementing a regular senior spot in the Bulldogs' backline are strong, especially after Hamling's departure.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2016, 06:47 PM
From afl.com.au

Marcus Adams looks set to remain with the Western Bulldogs in the wake of fellow tall defender Joel Hamling's request for a trade to Fremantle.

Adams had discussions with the Bulldogs in the second half of the season about the possibility of returning home to Western Australia in the trade period, but always knew it was a remote prospect.

After Hamling requested a trade to the Dockers on Saturday, the Bulldogs contacted Adams to reiterate he remained a required player.

Adams is happy to play on at the Whitten Oval in 2017 and appreciates his prospects of cementing a regular senior spot in the Bulldogs' backline are strong, especially after Hamling's departure.

Adams is staying.

1eyedog
16-10-2016, 06:52 PM
Adams is staying.

Thanks BT. Needs to stay on the park now and make a solid on-field contribution as well as increase his stocks for the end of 2017.

Going to be an interesting week.

Hotdog60
16-10-2016, 08:22 PM
If the WA teams are struggling next year and we are in the thick of it he may decide to sign an extension.;)

FrediKanoute
16-10-2016, 09:09 PM
I cantnhelp thinking that Adams' homesickness was as much to do with his injury battles and missing the second half of the season as anything else. If he gets his body right next year and is there at the pointy end, I think he will recommit. It's hard being away from home. It's harder being away from home and not being able to do the job you want to do. Rehab sucks.

azabob
16-10-2016, 09:27 PM
I cantnhelp thinking that Adams' homesickness was as much to do with his injury battles and missing the second half of the season as anything else. If he gets his body right next year and is there at the pointy end, I think he will recommit. It's hard being away from home. It's harder being away from home and not being able to do the job you want to do. Rehab sucks.

Agree totally. Made a similar point yesterday about the struggles of rehab and being from interstate.

Dry Rot
16-10-2016, 09:40 PM
OK, let's say Adams is happy to stay another under contract.

Then why was this put out in the public domain?

There's something odd/fishy about this.

Twodogs
16-10-2016, 09:59 PM
OK, let's say Adams is happy to stay another under contract.

Then why was this put out in the public domain?

There's something odd/fishy about this.

It's a good point. The footy club has gotten much better at keeping secrets secret in the last couple of years. Then again at trade time managers are always spruiking about their clients to anyone who will listen.

Dry Rot
16-10-2016, 10:15 PM
Can someone confirm that Gardiner of the Lions is out of contract?

If so, I hope we are talking to him. I still reckon the Adams disclosures smell and he will be leaving.

LostDoggy
17-10-2016, 12:57 AM
I am all for the loyalty thing. Hamling is replaceable and a long way from indispensable, neither is Adams but I would like Adams to stay,

Is that tongue in cheek?

LostDoggy
17-10-2016, 09:45 AM
Can someone confirm that Gardiner of the Lions is out of contract?

If so, I hope we are talking to him. I still reckon the Adams disclosures smell and he will be leaving.

Last I heard (last week I believe) he is agreeing to terms with Brisbane on a new deal.