PDA

View Full Version : Half Way Through The Trade Period - Where Are We Headed?

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 05:52 PM
So Cloke is as good as done, just haggling over very late picks. That's a good a value for money trade. We're not publicly linked to any free agents.

Generally, Fyfe rumours are dying, Hawthorn have got their top 10 pick to get Jaeger. Marchbank & Prestia deals look done, Deledio is on way too much money.

If we can't pull of a big trade, I wonder what our best case looks like now?

Hamling takes our 3 year deal - (pick 35?) Or we need to look to free agent KPDs.
Koby has nominated St Kilda - Pick 36?
Hrovat happy to go to North - Pick 33?
Adams wants WA, Freo don't want him, WCE's second rounder - 34?

33, 34, 36, 40 & 60 = 2,182 points --- or --- 33, 34, 35, 36 & 40 = 2,702 points
22, 24, 26 = 2,360 points (Gold Coast) --- or --- 24, 26 & 30 = 2,140 points

Outs: Minson, Koby, Hrovat, Adams, (Hamling), Other: Prudden/Honey
Ins: Cloke, (KPD FA) & 18, 22, 24 & 26 --- or --- 18, 33, 34, (35), 36, 40

dukedog
14-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Nice post BT. All i can say is that if adams and hamling leave. We are in the sh1t.

Mofra
14-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Adams stays, Fox reporting Freo aren't interested and Adams is contracted for next year.

Expecting Hamling to walk, and Stevens for pick 50.

Hrovat for ???? and Honeychurch for little. Are we even looking to bring anyone in? Rumours of a big deal but we've been very quiet.

Mantis
14-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Mof,

Any names mentioned as possible big fish? (Busy at life so no time to search)

Flamethrower
14-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Funny how history repeats itself. Didn't the club basically self destruct with players desserting after 1954? We have 3 decent tall defenders and 2 want out. Feel sorry for loyal sons like Moz and Keith.

comrade
14-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Funny how history repeats itself. Didn't the club basically self destruct with players desserting after 1954? We have 3 decent tall defenders and 2 want out. Feel sorry for loyal sons like Moz and Keith.

We just need Bont to be named captain-coach ala Teddy and it'll be complete.

Bulldog4life
14-10-2016, 09:12 PM
We just need Bont to be named captain-coach ala Teddy and it'll be complete. Gotta wait till he is 23. That is how old EJ was:o

comrade
14-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Gotta wait till he is 23. That is how old EJ was:o

Bont got a flag quicker than EJ, he can bloody well succeed Bevo quicker too :D

bulldogtragic
15-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Updated: Hammer gone.

Possibly: 18, 33 (Hrovat), 34 (Adams), 35 (Hamling), 36 (Stevens), 40, 6
Targeting back: Duggan, Apeness, Mitch Brown (FA)

1 end of first rounder, and 5 late round second rounders are not much value for the depth was are losing. McCartney has a fair bit of work ahead of him to work out these picks for something decent and also whether we will make a free agent offer in the (now) last 24 hours of the free agency offer window.

Mantis
15-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Updated: Hammer gone.

Possibly: 18, 33 (Hrovat), 34 (Adams), 35 (Hamling), 36 (Stevens), 40, 63

1 end of first rounder, and 5 late round second rounders are not much value for the depth was are losing. McCartney has a fair bit of work ahead of him to work out these picks for something decent and also whether we will make a free agent offer in the (now) last 24 hours of the free agency offer window.

Could we use the picks in the 30's and 40's to offload to a team like Coll & GWS (to assist with FS or Academy selections) to help us move up in this years or next years draft?

Mantis
15-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Double post

bulldogtragic
15-10-2016, 06:24 PM
Could we use the picks in the 30's and 40's to offload to a team like Coll & GWS (to assist with FS or Academy selections) to help us move up in this years or next years draft?

Could be a sound strategy for the longer term. Especially if we are thinking that Rhylee West might be a high value pick in 2018. We could roll this year for 2017 picks and then roll some 2017 picks next year for 2018 picks. Especially with Kellett & Libba possibly high value picks in 2019.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Outs 5: Minson, Adams, Hamling, Hrovat, Stevens (6th Prudden?)
Ins 5: Cloke, KPD FA - Mitch Brown probably the best, Apeness/Duggan, 3 picks of 18, 33, 34/35 - perhaps rolling over or packaging up 36 & 40. 64 & 74 given for Cloke. (still short in the ruck area, unless we get Apeness)

I'm not feeling this big trade rumour mongering.

azabob
15-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Outs 5: Minson, Adams, Hamling, Hrovat, Stevens (6th Prudden?)
Ins 5: Cloke, KPD FA - Mitch Brown probably the best, Apeness/Duggan, 3 picks of 18, 33, 34/35 - perhaps rolling over or packaging up 36 & 40. 64 & 74 given for Cloke. (still short in the ruck area, unless we get Apeness)

I'm not feeling this big trade rumour mongering.

If you of all people are not feeling it, then it's probably not happening...

bulldogtragic
15-10-2016, 07:00 PM
If you of all people are not feeling it, then it's probably not happening...

Look, I have heard Hamling, Lynch, Adams & Picks 18, 33, 36 for Nat Fyfe. 7 years & $7,000,000.

Apparently Freo are wanting to pour a lot of cold water on it, by denying interest in Adams. It also explains why Adams manager, who got wind of it, was offering to go through to a WA club to help out a big trade. But now that we are sitting down, Fyfe has to say no and Freo have got to turn their back on additionally Adams & Lynch (Ross Lyon flew over to watch Lynch in the VFL Prelim), a first rounder and two second rounders. I'm not getting overly excited though.

azabob
15-10-2016, 07:34 PM
This trade period was meant to be sit back, chill and bask in premiership glory. Not have to replace two KPD....

SlimPickens
15-10-2016, 07:36 PM
This trade period was meant to be sit back, chill and bask in premiership glory. Not have to replace two KPD....

I'm still basking!

Eastdog
16-10-2016, 01:28 AM

I like what you say. Too much emphasise now on where players will be playing in 2017 and while that is important there needs to be more premiership celebration time :)

Greystache
16-10-2016, 01:39 AM

We've only lost one, and he wasn't playing when we had a full team available.

MrMahatma
16-10-2016, 01:59 AM
We've only lost one, and he wasn't playing when we had a full team available.

So easily forgotten.

I'm more gutted by Adams than Hamling. Hamling's worth has been seriously inflated by Buddy's rolled ankle. Hamling is a goer. Not much more.

Would rather keep him but it's nothing to lose sleep over.

The Underdog
16-10-2016, 08:09 AM
So easily forgotten.

I'm more gutted by Adams than Hamling. Hamling's worth has been seriously inflated by Buddy's rolled ankle. Hamling is a goer. Not much more.

Would rather keep him but it's nothing to lose sleep over.

I'd still prefer Hamling and Adams to Roberts and Adams or Roberts and ????.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Does this make any realistic sense?

22 & 24 from GCS for Pick 18 & 2017 second rounder (likely gcs ahead on points, even stronger position this draft)
23 from St Kilda for Stevens and Pick 35 (Hamling pick) & Pick 74 as a bonus if they want it
25 from Carlton for Hrovat and Picks 40 (second rounder) & Pick 75 as a bonus if they want it (they use Gibbs compo to deal with GWS over Marchbank, Pickett, Stewart etc)

St Kilda get Stevens for a swap of second rounders, and given a fourth rounder if they want it
Carlton get Hrovat for a swap of second rounders, and given a fourth rounder if they want it
GCS get a first rounder, and future second rounder
(Adams for Duggan or he stays)

We get 22, 23, 24 & 25 (63 given for Cloke)

In: Cloke, 22, 23, 24, 25
Outs: Minson, Hamling, Stevens, Hrovat, 5th -- Picks 18, 35, 40, 63, 74, 75 & 2017 Second Rounder

GVGjr
16-10-2016, 01:30 PM
The logic for the GCS swapping picks seems intriguing
They have 6 picks inside of the 2 rounds and I think they would more or less want a couple of established players with swapping of picks.

EasternWest
16-10-2016, 01:45 PM
What's Rance's contract status? If we already had plenty of cash left over, and we're moving on Hamling and Adams, maybe the "big move" we're going to make it to prise him out?

I dunno. I'm just spit balling.

hujsh
16-10-2016, 02:23 PM
Wasn't Rance either going to re-sign with Richmond or retire when he was out of contract last?

Be a fair turnaround to go to another club after that (assuming I'm remembering correctly)

azabob
16-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Wasn't Rance either going to re-sign with Richmond or retire when he was out of contract last?

Be a fair turnaround to go to another club after that (assuming I'm remembering correctly)

That's what he said if you believe him....

bulldogtragic
16-10-2016, 09:09 PM
So we have four gone or good as gone: Minson, Hamling, Stevens, Hrovat.
Adams has been told this weekend he's required to keep to his contract for 2017.
We've committed to Cloke & we will have plenty of picks it seems.
The fate of Prudden & Honeychurch??
Not really linked to anyone other than Cloke.

Get set for another 4 days of doing nothing, waiting to see some big announcement on woof.

SlimPickens
16-10-2016, 09:42 PM
So we have four gone or good as gone: Minson, Hamling, Stevens, Hrovat.
Adams has been told this weekend he's required to keep to his contract for 2017.
We've committed to Cloke & we will have plenty of picks it seems.
The fate of Prudden & Honeychurch??
Not really linked to anyone other than Cloke.

Get set for another 4 days of doing nothing, waiting to see some big announcement on woof.

Why do you keep bringing up Honeychurch? He is contracted and there has been no indication he wants to leave or be traded.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2016, 09:51 PM
Why do you keep bringing up Honeychurch? He is contracted and there has been no indication he wants to leave or be traded.

Only that he may attract interest and it is the silly season. Strange things happen this time of the year.

Dry Rot
16-10-2016, 10:23 PM
Still reckon Adams could be leaving. Something is going on there IMO.

Eastdog
16-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Only that he may attract interest and it is the silly season. Strange things happen this time of the year.

Hopefully nothing too out of the ordinary for us especially as we are all on a high now.

Eastdog
16-10-2016, 10:53 PM

Would still rather we hang on to Mitch. We haven't seen enough of him at AFL level yet. Someone like Declan Hamilton we could offer up for trade but we wouldn't be getting anything significant in return.

anfo27
16-10-2016, 11:04 PM
Hearing a whisper that Essendon are chasing Josh Kelly who is apparently getable & we are sniffing around to. Then heard 'the bont' & Kelly are on holidays together or in the same place as there has been posted photos of them together in Italy. Would be doing cartwheels if we could pull this off.

lemmon
16-10-2016, 11:18 PM
Hearing a whisper that Essendon are chasing Josh Kelly who is apparently getable & we are sniffing around to. Then heard 'the bont' & Kelly are on holidays together or in the same place as there has been posted photos of them together in Italy. Would be doing cartwheels if we could pull this off.

He's a star, I rate him far more highly than Prestia, Mitchell and even O'Meara with his injuries. I've got no idea how we'd get the deal done.

I'd be tempted to offer similar to what Collingwood did with Treloar. Pick 18 isn't prime real estate

bornadog
16-10-2016, 11:23 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cu3HognVUAACtYD.jpg

anfo27
16-10-2016, 11:29 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cu3HognVUAACtYD.jpg

Get it done Bont!

Maybe i'm reading too much into it but is the bont indicating in that photo that we're going back to back or Kelly a former pick 2 is coming to Whitten Oval? Seems pretty obvious to me.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2016, 11:41 PM

Posted this in another thread, the boys are in Italy together seemingly having one hell of a time. Bonts, Boyd & Kelly are easily the best three players from their draft, having them together would be awesome.

GWS are looking at trading with Carlton; Marchbank, Pickett &/or Stewart. --- Hrovat is happy to go to Carlton for the best offer for the club. I'm thinking a mega trade that delivers GWS multiple first rounders that involves Carlton getting who they want and Kelly coming to us.

If we got 35 for Hamling, and then trading Stevens & 35 for St Kilda's 23. --- We send 18, 23 & Hrovat to Carlton. --- Carlton then have picks 5, 13 (Gibbs? & Lyons?), 18, 23, 25 & 45 at their discretion to facilitate Kelly, Marchbank & Pickett/Stewart being traded and then SOS getting their best return picks as well as having Hrovat.

Carlton don't want to give up pick 5. If we can get into that trade to give them trade currency and a player they are targeting, and put on the table a first rounder, a high second rounder and a first round drafted player (& a future pick if needed) that may see all three clubs getting a win.

Dogs: Give 18, 23 & Hrovat (& a future round pick possibly) - Get Kelly
Blues: Give 13, 18, 25 - Get to keep pick 5, Get picks 23 & 37, Get Marchbank, Pickett, Lyons & Hrovat
GWS: Give Kelly, Marchbank & Pickett and Pick 37 - Get 13, 18, 25 (on trade picks 13, 15, 18, 25 & 31 for more top 10 picks)

comrade
16-10-2016, 11:51 PM
I refuse to entertain the idea of Kelly coming to us, I'll only get let down. Rate him massively.

soupman
17-10-2016, 12:30 AM
Yep Kelly is awesome. No idea how we would get him here though

1eyedog
17-10-2016, 08:02 AM
GWS would piss themselves at that scenario. It's a good crack at it BT but all it shows me is just how far we away. Would need to send a best 22 player up there IMO.

LostDoggy
17-10-2016, 09:57 AM
We obviously had money in our cap to offer Hurley a pretty substantial deal.

Our offer would have been atleast 550-600k I would assume?

With a few others since leaving we have cash to spend it seems. I still think something big is brewing.

bornadog
17-10-2016, 09:58 AM
GWS would piss themselves at that scenario. It's a good crack at it BT but all it shows me is just how far we away. Would need to send a best 22 player up there IMO.

What are GWS looking for and do we have that player?

A lot of their players now are reaching 100 games plus, so I doubt they need established players.

1eyedog
17-10-2016, 11:25 AM

A lot of their players now are reaching 100 games plus, so I doubt they need established players.

They're strong everywhere but my thoughts would be a player who works through the middle of the ground. We've got a few options but none I would be prepared to part with.

Sedat
17-10-2016, 11:53 AM
They're strong everywhere but my thoughts would be a player who works through the middle of the ground. We've got a few options but none I would be prepared to part with.
Key defence is their only real area of weakness. Phil Davis is quality but Patfull was on his last legs in 2016 and has now retired. Not sure how good any of their ruck depth behind Mummy is either.

1eyedog
17-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Its Lobb and that's about it. They don't need another big guy down back plus they've got Haynes at 6'4 who is a gun, Tomlinson too. They'd be after an industrious link player like Hunter I reckon.

anfo27
17-10-2016, 12:49 PM

GWS want picks. They need to shed salary so offering a player in a deal to get Kelly defeats the purpose of trading Kelly in the first place, if the whispers are true. They need to get rid of at least 5 just to have their 3 picks at the ND. So Marchbank, Ahern, Pickett, Stewart & Steele are the 5 but just that 5 will not give them the cap relief they need. Their picks thus far are 2, 15, 31, 37, 51 & 55. I would think they are taking 4 kids with 2 of those Academy gems so they would be looking at another high pick so really they walk away with 4 first rounders.
I would be finding a way to get Freos pick 7 even if we give them our pick 18 & something else, then pick 7 & our first pick next year for Kelly. Might need to throw in another pick this year to give them the extra points they need.

1eyedog
17-10-2016, 12:55 PM
GWS want picks. They need to shed salary so offering a player in a deal to get Kelly defeats the purpose of trading Kelly in the first place, if the whispers are true. They need to get rid of at least 5 just to have their 3 picks at the ND. So Marchbank, Ahern, Pickett, Stewart & Steele are the 5 but just that 5 will not give them the cap relief they need. Their picks thus far are 2, 15, 31, 37, 51 & 55. I would think they are taking 4 kids with 2 of those Academy gems so they would be looking at another high pick so really they walk away with 4 first rounders.
I would be finding a way to get Freos pick 7 even if we give them our pick 18 & something else, then pick 7 & our first pick next year for Kelly. Might need to throw in another pick this year to give them the extra points they need.

There is no way we are breaking into the top 8 picks without giving a up best 22 player.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2016, 12:56 PM

That's why I've said some sort of future pick as well. I'd like to see us get involved between Carlton & GWS and see where it leads us.

anfo27
17-10-2016, 12:58 PM
There is no way we are breaking into the top 8 picks without giving a up best 22 player.
Hamling & pick 18?

1eyedog
17-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Duplicate post

1eyedog
17-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Hamling & pick 18?

I wouldn't think so given word they will offer a late pick for him.

1eyedog
17-10-2016, 01:11 PM
GWS will go hard on Kelly and demand pick 18 and next years 1st round pick as well. Is Kelly worth it given we'll have needs down back if Adams goes as well?

anfo27
17-10-2016, 01:18 PM
GWS will go hard on Kelly and demand pick 18 and next years 1st round pick as well. Is Kelly worth it given we'll have needs down back if Adams goes as well?

I'm sure if they wanted that the deal would be done in 5 min. That is a steal for Kelly.

1eyedog
17-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Maybe, he is a gun, a 10 year player and critical to them.

KT31
17-10-2016, 02:25 PM
Is anyone else feeling a little underwhelmed at the moment ?
We have lost a defender, another wants out and we have a few fringe player to go, not anything really being reported on who we are chasing etc.
I understand the Hurley deal may have us looking at plan B or C but still no reports.
I 'm not suggesting we trade for the sake of trading but we have money and cap space, Gordo said we would be major players and we do have some gaps that need filling.
I just thought a week in we would know more by now.

G-Mo77
17-10-2016, 02:35 PM
I don't think we're alone there KT31 lot of teams don't seem to be doing anything in the public eye.

I don't think we'll be major players in any deals though, winning it all probably changed our plans a little and retention has been more of a focus. Get Cloke and try and get as high as possible picks with departing players and I think that's a good trade period.

bornadog
17-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Is anyone else feeling a little underwhelmed at the moment ?
We have lost a defender, another wants out and we have a few fringe player to go, not anything really being reported on who we are chasing etc.
I understand the Hurley deal may have us looking at plan B or C but still no reports.
I 'm not suggesting we trade for the sake of trading but we have money and cap space, Gordo said we would be major players and we do have some gaps that need filling.
I just thought a week in we would know more by now.

Barrett still feels we are working on something from left field, but he doesn't know what and is a little pissed off. He expects we will come up with something in the next few days.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Barrett still feels we are working on something from left field, but he doesn't know what and is a little pissed off. He expects we will come up with something in the next few days.

He did say we are now officially a 'destination club' though. It's going to be big...

1eyedog
17-10-2016, 05:30 PM

Well we have to there's about 70 hours left. I've actually been a bit surprised and a little miffed that no-one has nominated the Bulldogs, unless of course they have and we've said no because we're working in the background on the masterpiece.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Well we have to there's about 70 hours left. I've actually been a bit surprised and a little miffed that no-one has nominated the Bulldogs, unless of course they have and we've said no because we're working in the background on the masterpiece.

JMac on Thursday is going to make the Michael Corleone ending of Part 1 look weak. We have waited and will execute all trades with clinical precision that concentrates our power.

GVGjr
17-10-2016, 05:42 PM

So why are now we validating his opinions after spending all year dismissing them?

1eyedog
17-10-2016, 05:46 PM
So why are now we validating his opinions after spending all year dismissing them?

Because we are 70 hours out from D-Day, haven't heard a peep and we're all sitting on the edge of our seats for any morsel industry insiders throw at us?

GVGjr
17-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Because we are 70 hours out from D-Day, haven't heard a peep and we're all sitting on the edge of our seats for any morsel industry insiders throw at us?

But he isn't actually saying anything :confused:

1eyedog
17-10-2016, 05:58 PM
But he isn't actually saying anything :confused:

Connotation.

More connotations re. the Bulldogs from the Trade Whisperer (it is the silly season)

Follow

AFL Trade Whisperer
‏@AFLTradeWhisper AFL Trade Whisperer Retweeted Michael Stewart
Plenty of good young kids coming through. They'll play their cards this week #AFLTrades

azabob
17-10-2016, 06:20 PM
JMac on Thursday is going to make the Michael Corleone ending of Part 1 look weak. We have waited and will execute all trades with clinical precision that concentrates our power.

And the last minute the fax machine will jam or the internet will drop out and the deal won't go through!

bornadog
17-10-2016, 06:56 PM

Who is validating, I am just reporting what he said.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2016, 06:56 PM
And the last minute the fax machine will jam or the internet will drop out and the deal won't go through!

Have no fear, BT is here to make sure it goes through.

bulldogtragic
18-10-2016, 04:58 PM
If it's just about the draft now, I wonder if Carlton trade Gibbs, and use that pick 13 for Marchbank & Pickett (getting pick 37 back) whether they'd consider our 35 (& 74, 75 if they want them) & Hrovat for 25? (Swapping second rounders)

GCS have picks 24 & 26. We could offer GCS 18, 43 & Stevens/whatever Stevens gets us, which gives them a very big draft points victory.

We take to the draft 24, 25 & 26.

LostDoggy
18-10-2016, 05:19 PM
To The Draft Baby!!!!

BulldogBelle
18-10-2016, 06:32 PM
To The Draft Baby!!!!

Done pretty good at the draft recently:)

GVGjr
19-10-2016, 08:27 AM
So we have until 2pm tomorrow to finalise our trade strategy for this year.

Outstanding trades that we think we need to complete are:
- Finalising the trade for Travis Cloke (likely to be for our pick 61)
- Working out a deal with StKilda for Kobe Stevens (likely to be for the Saints pick 50)
- Seeing if a deal for Nathan Hrovat can be completed with one of a few clubs who are interested

We don't appear to be linked to any players that are currently in discussions with other clubs

The playing list
Having now lost Hamling to Fremantle and knowing that Minson has retired plus it's likely that we will lose both Stevens and Hrovat it's certainly opened up some gaps within our list. There might be a question on if we keep Prudden on the senior list as well.
There is also a consideration that Marcus Adams has put his hand up to leave at the end of next season and that Murphy, Morris and M.Boyd are unlikely to be playing in 2018 but you never know.

With all that in mind it points to gaps in our key defensive positions and that we need to find some support for Roughead and Campbell in the ruck.

The question marks
- Does anyone think we will address any of these gaps during the balance of this trade period?
- Are we likely to make any trade for an established player other than Cloke?
- Has our strategy all along been to strengthen our draft position?
- Could we recruit someone as a deleted free agent to fill a need after this trade period?

and most importantly:
- Is there a specific trade you would like the club to try and complete?

I'd be very interested in your thoughts.

Dogs 24/7
19-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Would a pitch to GWS about getting James Stewart be worth a try ? He's a good size and mobile and I wonder if he could be turned into a CHB ? He hasn't proven himself as a senior player so he should come cheaply. Based on some other posts and what Ive read on what pick Essendon or Carlton might offer if we did get pick 50 for Kobe we could trump them.
For what its worth I think he is further advanced than Hamling was when we got him. A year with LB might do him wonders
Its unlikely but I hope we are looking at a few things.

bornadog
19-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Would a pitch to GWS about getting James Stewart be worth a try ? He's a good size and mobile and I wonder if he could be turned into a CHB ? He hasn't proven himself as a senior player so he should come cheaply. Based on some other posts and what Ive read on what pick Essendon or Carlton might offer if we did get pick 50 for Kobe we could trump them.
For what its worth I think he is further advanced than Hamling was when we got him. A year with LB might do him wonders

Yesterday Stewart nominated Essendon as his preferred club, so not sure if we can get him to change his mind. As a player, I have little idea if he is worth chasing.

LostDoggy
19-10-2016, 09:48 AM
As it stands we have picks 18, 35, 43 and 61 (and irrelevant lower picks with no points value).

Presumably we'll get further 2nd/3rd round picks for Stevens and Hrovat (possibly others) whilst only using 61 at most for Cloke.

Barring any further trades, we'll have more marketable picks than we can use. Do we bundle these to rise up the order?

bornadog
19-10-2016, 10:04 AM
The question marks
- Does anyone think we will address any of these gaps during the balance of this trade period?
- Are we likely to make any trade for an established player other than Cloke?
- Has our strategy all along been to strengthen our draft position?
- Could we recruit someone as a deleted free agent to fill a need after this trade period?

and most importantly:
- Is there a specific trade you would like the club to try and complete?

* I doubt we will address all of the gaps you point out. I am sure the plan is to keep developing the likes of Williams, Lynch, Webb to help cover some of the future gaps.

* I wouldn't be surprised if we brought in another established player, but I also think it will surprise us. We may bring in someone through the rookie list as history has shown.

* I think we are trying to strengthen our draft position. We are holding back on completing the Hrovat and Stevens trades which tells me we are also working on an exchange of picks.

* Possible to look at delisted free agents if the trade doesn't give us what we want.

* Not fussed on who I would like to come in as it may be difficult to get a decent player as well as improving our draft position. Love to get Trengrove

GVGjr
19-10-2016, 10:05 AM
As it stands we have picks 18, 35, 43 and 61 (and irrelevant lower picks with no points value).

Presumably we'll get further 2nd/3rd round picks for Stevens and Hrovat (possibly others) whilst only using 61 at most for Cloke.

Barring any further trades, we'll have more marketable picks than we can use. Do we bundle these to rise up the order

I think that is an option but it might depend on what we could get for Hrovat. If it's pick 34 from North then that gives us a few options of package up. There is some speculation on Trade Radio that there is a bidding war on Hrovat between North and Carlton. North have the chips but it might be harder to get something decent from Carlton. I can't see Carlton parting with pick 25 even if we offer pick 35 or 43 in the deal. Carlton need to finish their focus on Marchbank and Gibbs etc

GVGjr
19-10-2016, 10:18 AM
A few weeks back we had been linked to Geelongs injury prone but talented Nathan Vardy.
West Coast and Port are apparently interested but I don't think they could offer much that would interest Geelong who now appear to be focusing on Carlton's Tuohy. Could pick 43 get us Nathan Vardy and cover off a need for a support ruckman?

Risky move given his injury history but I'm sure we have considered it.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2016, 10:21 AM
A few weeks back we had been linked to Geelongs injury prone but talented Nathan Vardy.
West Coast and Port are apparently interested but I don't think they could offer much that would interest Geelong who now appear to be focusing on Carlton's Tuohy. Could pick 43 get us Nathan Vardy and cover off a need for a support ruckman?

Risky move given his injury history but I'm sure we have considered it.

If we get bent over not taking 50 for Stevens, then I'd be happy taking a punt on him. Pick 43 and around that mark has pulled off some great draftees lately for us. But a virtually end of third round pick might be worth the punt if our medico's and VU team think that they can get him on the park. It's probably more down to them, because his talent is undisputed.

GVGjr
19-10-2016, 12:00 PM

He's probably too speculative for us. I tend to think if we haven't been linked to a player by now it's unlikely something will just jump out for us between now and the close of business tomorrow. Given you can't really trade for a player if they haven't done a physical test with your medical team I'd say we are happy enough to bring in Cloke and try and move up a bit with draft picks.

1eyedog
19-10-2016, 12:06 PM
He's probably too speculative for us. I tend to think if we haven't been linked to a player by now it's unlikely something will just jump out for us between now and the close of business tomorrow. Given you can't really trade for a player if they haven't done a physical test with your medical team I'd say we are happy enough to bring in Cloke and try and move up a bit with draft picks.

Agreed and I'm not unhappy with it. I'm buoyed by the Cloke signing and think he improves us which is a massive positive given we are talking about a premiership team.

GVGjr
19-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Agreed and I'm not unhappy with it. I'm buoyed by the Cloke signing and think he improves us which is a massive positive given we are talking about a premiership team.

I see it a bit differently because I don't think we have enough quality within the playing list and losing Hamling and having Adams flagging his intention to head home doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. Cloke adds a bit, Crameri adds a lot more but potentially not addressing a KP defender and/or a support ruckman during this trade period puts a lot of faith in Roberts, Campbell and Roughead being fit enough through the 2017 season.
Last year we chased a few ruckman so we can't deny we aren't 100% happy with the depth of our ruck division and now it's a bit weaker with the loss of Minson. This year we chased Hurley which indicates we also saw a need to improve our defensive KP options.

Sure we can use Cordy as a key defender and since the GF a lot of people aren't as concerned now with using Tom Boyd in the ruck a bit more but I still think we are light on for quality.

comrade
19-10-2016, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure you can say we're light on for quality. Depth in a few spots, but we did just win a flag. Coaching & system > personnel

Sedat
19-10-2016, 01:07 PM
I see it a bit differently because I don't think we have enough quality within the playing list and losing Hamling and having Adams flagging his intention to head home doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. Cloke adds a bit, Crameri adds a lot more but potentially not addressing a KP defender and/or a support ruckman during this trade period puts a lot of faith in Roberts, Campbell and Roughead being fit enough through the season.
Last year we chased a few ruckman so we can't deny we aren't 100% happy with the depth of our ruck division and now it's a bit weaker with the loss of Minson. This year we chased Hurley which indicates we also saw a need to improve our defensive KP options.

Sure we can use Cordy as a key defender and since the GF a lot of people aren't as concerned now with using Tom Boyd in the ruck a bit more but I still think we are light on for quality.
Our ruck stocks are actually two down with Goetz and Minson both leaving, so we do need to bolster this area by at least one in the off-season. Agree that we also need more KPD depth - Cordy will get monstered as a KPD in 2017 and Adams, whilst very talented, hasn't proven to be durable from an injury perspective thus far.

From a talent perspective, I think our list is in very good shape. We have an abundance of quality on the list IMO - just need to bolster a couple of areas that are a little skinny in terms of depth.

ledge
19-10-2016, 01:14 PM
I would love a ruckman come straight in then we play Boyd in the forward line with Cloke and Dickson , Stringer , McLean , Picken etc hanging around be hard to stop . Especially if you add Crameri and the Bont spending time in there.
Let roughy go back and look after the pack marks while Wood Adams etc do the cut off roles

GVGjr
19-10-2016, 01:17 PM
I'm not sure you can say we're light on for quality. Depth in a few spots, but we did just win a flag. Coaching & system > personnel

I think it's simplistic approach that indicates you believe our playing list automatically guarantees a top 4 finish or better next season.
I don't see it that way.
You obviously have no concerns with the area's I highlighted. To me we are deep in the area's I don't have a lot of concerns.

Can I ask why did we chase Hurley if we don't have at least some concerns with our backline which now takes Hamling out the options?
I'd also like to hear why you think two number one ruckman with an established history of injuries is sufficiently deep enough for another 26 week campaign? Would it not be better to have some support in that area?

chef
19-10-2016, 01:17 PM
I would love a ruckman come straight in then we play Boyd in the forward line with Cloke and Dickson , Stringer , McLean , Picken etc hanging around be hard to stop . Especially if you add Crameri and the Bont spending time in there.
Let roughy go back and look after the pack marks while Wood Adams etc do the cut off roles

We have Campbell who can do that

comrade
19-10-2016, 01:19 PM
I think it's simplistic approach that indicates you believe our playing list automatically guarantees a top 4 finish or better next season.
I don't see it that way.
You obviously have no concerns with the area's I highlighted. To me we are deep in the area's I don't have a lot of concerns.

Can I ask why did we chase Hurley if we don't have at least some concerns with our backline which now takes Hamling out the options?
I'd also like to hear why you think two number one ruckman with an established history of injuries is sufficiently deep enough for another 26 week campaign? Would it not be better to have some support in that area?

Sure but what's out there worth chasing? Why did we chase Hurley? Because he's a gun that would improve any team.

And do I think one of the youngest and most inexperienced teams to win the flag has the capability to improve on the back of natural development in the core 20-24 year olds. Yes I do.

dog town
19-10-2016, 01:25 PM
I don't see it that way.

I'd also like to hear why you think two number one ruckman with an established history of injuries is sufficiently deep enough for another 26 week campaign? Would it not be better to have some support in that area? While I don't want us to go out and randomly grab players I do agree it's a little worrying that we are not overly active.

I would have thought as far as being a club of choice goes our situation has never been better and we don't look to be cashing in on that. We can still improve our list dramatically. We didn't have the best list this year we had the best system and played to our strengths. We need to be looking to improve on our list and its weaknesses. We have shown that our system and style of play makes almost any player better and allows players to flourish. If you have a strength there is a role in our side. I hope we are picking the eyes out of other lists trying to find guys to play roles in our game plan.

ledge
We have Campbell who can do that

I love Campbell but we obviously have other ideas of some sort, we took Goetz and had Minson , now both are gone so I would presume we would at least be looking for one replacement ruckman.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

I have similar concerns about our KPD & ruck stocks going into next season, and if we finish tomorrow without having added depth at these positions (given the paucity of quality with the remaining uncontracted talent in these positions) I will have concerns for season 2017.
Given we've yet to be linked to anyone during trade week (other than Cloke) I also think it's becoming increasingly unlikely we would pull any significant surprises between now and tomorrow.

GVGjr
19-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Our ruck stocks are actually two down with Goetz and Minson both leaving, so we do need to bolster this area by at least one in the off-season. Agree that we also need more KPD depth - Cordy will get monstered as a KPD in 2017 and Adams, whilst very talented, hasn't proven to be durable from an injury perspective thus far.

From a talent perspective, I think our list is in very good shape. We have an abundance of quality on the list IMO - just need to bolster a couple of areas that are a little skinny in terms of depth.

Thanks for the detailed response. I didn't really count Goetz who was always a long term and speculative rookie but while Minson didn't play much I think we lose a lot of depth with the ruck options by not having him on the list.

I agree with the points you have raised on Cordy and Adams. It would be a huge ask to expect Cordy to hold down CHB during the season. Adams was very good and surprised a few but there has to be at least a small question on his durability and if he could get through a full season including finals. I'd add Roberts to the KP defensive options that wouldn't be regarded as durable. Campbell and Roughy have had their challenges.

I don't get the "we won the flag and everything must be right" approach. To me complacency shouldn't be accepted.
We lose some of our depth with both Hrovat and Stevens likely to depart and of course a question mark on how long it will take Mitch Wallis to get back into good form next season. We also lose a lot of depth with Hamling's departure. Cloke covers Redpath and probably only improves things slightly.

It's good that we are going to the draft but if you accept the approach that you 'draft for quality' and 'trade for gaps within the list' have we really done enough so far?

bulldogtragic
19-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Vardy off to West Coast.

choconmientay
19-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Vardy off to West Coast.

That would mean Minno said no to them.

GVGjr
19-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Vardy off to West Coast.

Looking likely but has it been confirmed? I've just heard Caddy to Richmond being mentioned for I think pick 27.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Looking likely but has it been confirmed? I've just heard Caddy to Richmond being mentioned for I think pick 27.

Not official yet, but expected very soon.

1eyedog
19-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Not official yet, but expected very soon.

So that's the end of Petrie as well.

comrade
19-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the detailed response. I didn't really count Goetz who was always a long term and speculative rookie but while Minson didn't play much I think we lose a lot of depth with the ruck options by not having him on the list.

I agree with the points you have raised on Cordy and Adams. It would be a huge ask to expect Cordy to hold down CHB during the season. Adams was very good and surprised a few but there has to be at least a small question on his durability and if he could get through a full season including finals. I'd add Roberts to the KP defensive options that wouldn't be regarded as durable. Campbell and Roughy have had their challenges.

I don't get the "we won the flag and everything must be right" approach. To me complacency shouldn't be accepted.
We lose some of our depth with both Hrovat and Stevens likely to depart and of course a question mark on how long it will take Mitch Wallis to get back into good form next season. We also lose a lot of depth with Hamling's departure. Cloke covers Redpath and probably only improves things slightly.

It's good that we are going to the draft but if you accept the approach that you 'draft for quality' and 'trade for gaps within the list' have we really done enough so far?

It's fine to express disappointment with our lack of activity, but I'd honestly like to know what moves you would have liked us to make that we haven't.

Given some of the crazy moves like Vickery at $500, Mayne and Wells on huge deals and Hawthorn's botching of the JOM deal, maybe making less moves was the non-complacent and reasoned response, rather than making moves for the sake of it.

I'm happy to back the brains trust that just won us a flag. If that's accepting mediocrity and being complacent, so be it.

GVGjr
19-10-2016, 01:47 PM
While I don't want us to go out and randomly grab players I do agree it's a little worrying that we are not overly active.

I would have thought as far as being a club of choice goes our situation has never been better and we don't look to be cashing in on that. We can still improve our list dramatically. We didn't have the best list this year we had the best system and played to our strengths. We need to be looking to improve on our list and its weaknesses. We have shown that our system and style of play makes almost any player better and allows players to flourish. If you have a strength there is a role in our side. I hope we are picking the eyes out of other lists trying to find guys to play roles in our game plan.

That's pretty much how I see it and it's great to have you on the site.. Yes there is a lot more development in the list especially the younger guys but we do have a number of challenges to maintain the progress we made this year.

1eyedog
19-10-2016, 01:50 PM
I'm not sold on needing KPD depth. We regularly played with one KPD this year (Collingwood) with Morris, Biggs and Wood playing tall. Our defensive systems across the ground mean that taller key forwards struggle against us which is one of the reasons why Hamling and Roberts performed so admirably.

I'm far more concerned about outside ball use than I am about KPD.

comrade
19-10-2016, 01:54 PM
I'm not sold on needing KPD depth. We regularly played with one KPD this year (Collingwood) with Morris, Biggs and Wood playing tall. Our defensive systems across the ground mean that taller key forwards struggle against us which is one of the reasons why Hamling and Roberts performed so admirably.

Agree. KPD depth is being overplayed, given our defensive system. I'd much rather focus on our strengths which is ball winning and retention. Outside kicking skills and pace would definitely improve our midfield, hopefully it's an area we target in the draft.

hlnbidoffer
19-10-2016, 01:59 PM
I really wish I didn't see that Sliding Doors article from the #1 pickle, Barrett last week...

It meant I had completely unrealistic expectations of our involvement in trade week.

comrade
19-10-2016, 02:00 PM
I really wish I didn't see that Sliding Doors article from the #1 pickle, Barrett last week...

It meant I had completely unrealistic expectations of our involvement in trade week.

An actual pickle would know more about the machinations of our club than Barrett. Persona non grata.

Rocket Science
19-10-2016, 02:13 PM
Just on our lack of activity and general trade week pangs of FOMO ... take our Premiership winning side, subtract Hamling, then squeeze in Murphy, Crameri, Cloke, Suckling, Adams, Jong and eventually, Wallis and Redpath.

Not to mention increased pressure for selection from Campbell, Williams, Webb, Collins, Dale and Roarke Smith.

Sure, we'd like to fine tune elements of structural balance, but even if Cloke alone represents the sum total of our 2016 acquisitions, something tells me we'll be just fine.

GVGjr
19-10-2016, 02:27 PM
I have similar concerns about our KPD & ruck stocks going into next season, and if we finish tomorrow without having added depth at these positions (given the paucity of quality with the remaining uncontracted talent in these positions) I will have concerns for season 2017.
Given we've yet to be linked to anyone during trade week (other than Cloke) I also think it's becoming increasingly unlikely we would pull any significant surprises between now and tomorrow.

There might be something done late tomorrow but it's now it's very unlikely it will be significant.

Remi Moses
19-10-2016, 02:42 PM
In 12 months we'll lose Morris and possibly Adams, and if we don't trade you'd assume we maybe looking for a key back in 12 months
Maybe bringing in a ruck as well .

Axe Man
19-10-2016, 02:44 PM
I don't have a problem with not being major players in trade week but it would have been nice to identify and obtain a cheap player to address an area of need, as we did in the past with the Hamling and Biggs trades. I guess there's still time...

Remi Moses
19-10-2016, 02:45 PM

Clubs play with hybrid backlines now though. They'll play Cordy, Adams and some natural improvement in Collins

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-10-2016, 02:46 PM
So if we're not in the market for acquiring a significant recruit, then are we better off using the BIG surplus in our salary cap next year (based on the 800k freed up for the Hurley offer) to renegotiate existing contracts so as to position ourselves for say a tilt at someone come 2017 season end?

Topdog
19-10-2016, 02:50 PM
So if we're not in the market for acquiring a significant recruit, then are we better off using the BIG surplus in our salary cap next year (based on the 800k freed up for the Hurley offer) to renegotiate existing contracts so as to position ourselves for say a tilt at someone come 2017 season end?

Yes most definitely.

GVGjr
19-10-2016, 02:52 PM
I don't have a problem with not being major players in trade week but it would have been nice to identify and obtain a cheap player to address an area of need, as we did in the past with the Hamling and Biggs trades. I guess there's still time...

Spot on. It doesn't have to be a big name but someone who provides some coverage.

Rocket Science
19-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Spot on. It doesn't have to be a big name but someone who provides some coverage.

Agreed. Maybe there's another Adams-type smoky Dalrymple's planning to hoist from the draft...?

comrade
19-10-2016, 03:17 PM
Agreed. Maybe there's another Adams-type smoky Dalrymple's planning to hoist from the draft...?

That's why I'm not assessing this period as a positive or negative until after the draft.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2016, 03:20 PM
As per the other thread, we are being linked to chasing Lids.

GVGjr
19-10-2016, 03:28 PM

The draft is a fair way off though and to me it's either about covering some of our needs during the trade period or improving our draft position. There is still a bit to play out with Hrovat and Stevens and hopefully we can do something positive.

Dogs 24/7
19-10-2016, 04:01 PM

Makes sense.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2016, 04:31 PM
Seems Richmond want a late first rounder for Lids. GWS have 15 and we have 18. Barrett/Plough suggesting Richmond could pay $300,000 to facilitate that. If Lids doesn't want to move his family interstate, you'd imagine pick 18 would get the job done. Them paying $500,000 would make it doable too. Interesting to see if we are serious or not.

1eyedog
19-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Pick 18 for 2-3 years. Will he make a difference re. the potential for another flag? I think if he comes to us he does make us better but how much? On the flip side GWS will be lessened by him not going there...

Remi Moses
19-10-2016, 05:05 PM
What about GWS needing picks for points ?

KT31
19-10-2016, 05:10 PM
Pick 18 for 2-3 years. Will he make a difference re. the potential for another flag? I think if he comes to us he does make us better but how much? On the flip side GWS will be lessened by him not going there...

Deledio improves us and if we are not sacrificing to much, happy if we get it done.

Raw Toast
19-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Delidio offers us run and precise kicking, both of which are vital to our game - we suffered this year when our good to elite kicks were out of the side and there was a period where Caleb Daniel was close to our most important player because he was one of the few who could take the ball through the middle of the ground and deliver it well.

In addition, we haven't won a game without Matty Boyd since Beveridge has become coach - he's only missed 5 so it's still a small sample size, but it does at least suggest a vulnerability down back when Boyd is out that Delidio should be well placed to cover, with the added bonus of being able to go forward as well as into the midfield mix.

Initially I didn't like the idea of spending our first pick on him, but we're so young already, the list can still be improved, we're a better team with Delidio in it, and maybe, just maybe, he could be a bit like a Burgoyne and be another player who ages well and stands up at key moments.

Bulldog Revolution
19-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Fox Footy suggesting we are thinking about stepping in here:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/richmond-star-brett-deledio-has-travelled-to-sydney-to-meet-with-gws-giants-officials-over-potential-move/news-story/fc62d2442d1225aef9831bdbd250ee7a

bulldogtragic
19-10-2016, 05:47 PM
19 hours to go for the trade period, and still only 2 players 'officially' off our primary list.

1eyedog
19-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Delidio offers us run and precise kicking, both of which are vital to our game - we suffered this year when our good to elite kicks were out of the side and there was a period where Caleb Daniel was close to our most important player because he was one of the few who could take the ball through the middle of the ground and deliver it well.

In addition, we haven't won a game without Matty Boyd since Beveridge has become coach - he's only missed 5 so it's still a small sample size, but it does at least suggest a vulnerability down back when Boyd is out that Delidio should be well placed to cover, with the added bonus of being able to go forward as well as into the midfield mix.

Initially I didn't like the idea of spending our first pick on him, but we're so young already, the list can still be improved, we're a better team with Delidio in it, and maybe, just maybe, he could be a bit like a Burgoyne and be another player who ages well and stands up at key moments.

Agreed. I was talking about key backs and rucks and how I thought outside run and good skills was more important and Deledio fits that bill perfectly. I would prefer someone who was 26 rather than 29 though.

Scraggers
19-10-2016, 06:27 PM

As the Premiership Team (geez that sounds great doesn't it ???) Our first pick is virtually a second rounder anyway ... Pick 18 ... Normally we have a top ten pick

kruder
19-10-2016, 06:49 PM
I'm against last gasp reach in the trade period to lock in another defender. We tried it last year with Lobe and it would have turned out awful for us. If there isn't a defender available I'm fine with it, we can get Adams back into A grade form, push his value up where it should be and have a year to target a tall defender in an era where contracts are worth little...

FWIW Cam Oshea from Port has been linked somewhere....

bulldogtragic
19-10-2016, 07:01 PM
With Deledio to GWS, Should we try to grab O'Meara? An all out attack/offer to GCS in the later hours.

18, 35 & 43 is 200 more points than Hawthorn's offer. If we could convince Stevens or Hrovat as a mature player to head north with the picks, our offer could be the best they get. Maybe a future pick if required.

They won't use their pick 67, so get that back. Take to the draft 33 (Hrovat) or 50 (Stevens). Also have 61, 67, 74 & 75. Give Collingwood 61 & 67. Use rookie upgrades on 67 (Smith) & 74 (Lynch).

In: O'Meara, Cloke, Pick 33 or 50, Roarke Smith, Brad Lynch
Out: Minson, Hamling, Stevens, Hrovat, 5th (Prudden), pick 18, 35, 43, 61, 67

Take 4 picks to the rookie draft. Two senior players to immediately replace Wallis & Redders, and two kids.

LostDoggy
19-10-2016, 07:12 PM
With Deledio to GWS, Should we try to grab O'Meara? An all out attack/offer to GCS in the later hours.

18, 35 & 43 is 200 more points than Hawthorn's offer. If we could convince Stevens or Hrovat as a mature player to head north with the picks, our offer could be the best they get.

They won't use their pick 67, so get that back. Take to the draft 33 (Hrovat) or 50 (Stevens). Also have 61, 67, 74 & 75. Give Collingwood 61 & 67. Use rookie upgrades on 67 (Smith) & 74 (Lynch).

Take 4 picks to the rookie draft. Two senior players to immediately replace Wallis & Redders, and two kids.

Unless our medical team get the chance of a thorough evaluation, that's just way too much for someone who hasn't played for 2 years and possibly has degenerative issues.

azabob
19-10-2016, 07:46 PM

In a word - No.

anfo27
19-10-2016, 09:28 PM

18, 35 & 43 is 200 more points than Hawthorn's offer. If we could convince Stevens or Hrovat as a mature player to head north with the picks, our offer could be the best they get. Maybe a future pick if required.

Why would you upgrade Lynch BT?

and a big NO to O'Meara

Heard a whisper we have an interest in Richards. Maybe as a defender like his brother.

1eyedog
19-10-2016, 09:50 PM
Why would you upgrade Lynch BT?

and a big NO to O'Meara

Heard a whisper we have an interest in Richards. Maybe as a defender like his brother.

Seems to suit our style and would be a good Hamling replacement. With our depth players leaving [Stevens, Hrovat] we need the likes of Webb, Dale and Williams to step up.

lemmon
20-10-2016, 12:18 AM
Unless our medical team get the chance of a thorough evaluation, that's just way too much for someone who hasn't played for 2 years and possibly has degenerative issues.

Yep, after watching Cooney's career, big no from me.

There was talk on SEN today that Devon Smith will be out of GWS in 12 months time. I'd rather save up and make a play for him

Twodogs
20-10-2016, 12:39 AM
Is WHE over the line with Collingwood? I wouldn't mind seeing him in our colours

comrade
20-10-2016, 12:55 AM
Is WHE over the line with Collingwood? I wouldn't mind seeing him in our colours

We don't have enough list spots to bring in another player, given Prudden seems like being re-signed and Cloke is being brought on board.

Our best bet is to load up on future picks for next year when there may be more player movement.

Ozza
20-10-2016, 09:04 AM
I would be rapt to hear we kept Prudden on the list. Good to see things looking more likely in that regard.

Interesting day ahead with last minute trades.

anfo27
20-10-2016, 09:18 AM
Would like to see JMac go to GWS and say we'll give you our first & second round pick next year for your first & second round pick next year. Basically a bet we finish higher than that plastic scum of a club next year.

GVGjr
20-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Would like to see JMac go to GWS and say we'll give you our first & second round pick next year for your first & second round pick next year. Basically a bet we finish higher than that plastic scum of a club next year.

You don't really want that to happen do you?

anfo27
20-10-2016, 10:24 AM
You don't really want that to happen do you?

Yep I do. Back ourselves in to beat those flogs. Good chance Whitfield won't be playing next year. Their back line will be a worry for them with Boyd & Cloke inside 50 and their defenders being Tomlinson & who else? Patful retired & Marchbank gone. Cloke had a field day against them last year. Mummys first full season in a while so he is due to break down.

As long as our hunger is still there we have them covered.

1eyedog
20-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Yep I do. Back ourselves in to beat those flogs. Good chance Whitfield won't be playing next year. Their back line will be a worry for them with Boyd & Cloke inside 50 and their defenders being Tomlinson & who else? Patful retired & Marchbank gone. Cloke had a field day against them last year. Mummys first full season in a while so he is due to break down.

A quality player in Davis and quality intercept in Haynes. Lobb also drops back. This is a crazy suggestion.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-10-2016, 10:42 AM
A quality player in Davis and quality intercept in Haynes. Lobb also drops back. This is a crazy suggestion.

Agree.A trade proposal like that would smack of premiership hubris.

GVGjr
20-10-2016, 10:44 AM

In his non football life Bevo comes from a risk management background so I wonder how he would see the level of risk in this suggestion.

To me this is bordering on being an arrogant position and you feel we are bullet proof. We aren't.
I guess that goes with the territory of being a premiership team :)

GVGjr
20-10-2016, 10:45 AM

Plus the emerging Corr. That is why they can trade Marchbank.

Topdog
20-10-2016, 11:09 AM

That would just be stupid to be honest and completely unprofessional.

bornadog
20-10-2016, 11:16 AM

as TD says -That would be a stupid move by the club.

Cyberdoggie
20-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Hrovat traded for future pick swap of third and fourth round picks next year.

Pretty cheap really. Let's hope North stink it up next year.

Topdog
20-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Hrovat traded for future pick swap of third and fourth round picks next year.

Pretty cheap really. Let's hope North stink it up next year.

To be honest I have them down as fighting for the spoon with Brisbane so I probably shouldnt be as upset as I am about the trade

hujsh
20-10-2016, 12:31 PM
I hate relying on them to get anything decent from the trade though. It's a pretty big drop from one of Carlton or North offering a definite pick in the 30s to 'lets see how shit we do next year'.

Sedat
20-10-2016, 12:37 PM
I hate relying on them to get anything decent from the trade though. It's a pretty big drop from one of Carlton or North offering a definite pick in the 30s to 'lets see how shit we do next year'.
What if we delisted Hrovat next year after another middling season? Even at full fitness he is no certainty of getting more than a handful of games next year.

It's an underwhelming trade but it is better than recontracting him for 2 years or delisting him after another season.

Dancin' Douggy
20-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Wow, the Brian Lake trade, which I always thought stank, now REALLY stinks.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Wow, the Brian Lake trade, which I always thought stank, now REALLY stinks.

We got 93 games played from them both combined from the trade. No finals played/won.
They got 54 games played. Lots of finals & 3 premierships.

Dancin' Douggy
20-10-2016, 01:03 PM
We got 93 games played from them both combined from the trade. No finals played/won.
They got 54 games played. Lots of finals & 3 premierships.

It's a bit hard to follow, but they essentially still have Tim O'Brien on their list from the pick we swapped as well. Which was 27.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 01:06 PM
It's a bit hard to follow, but they essentially still have Tim O'Brien on their list from the pick we swapped as well. Which was 27.

Oh yeah. Then it's 72 games combined in that trade, with the number still going. Let's never discuss this again.

Dancin' Douggy
20-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Oh yeah. Then it's 72 games combined in that trade, with the number still going. Let's never discuss this again.

It reeks

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 02:24 PM
Any surprises in the next 35 minutes?

bornadog
20-10-2016, 02:26 PM
Any surprises in the next 35 minutes?

Koby still in limbo?

Bulldog Revolution
20-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Koby still in limbo?

Maybe they havent offered 50 and so we're not committed for less

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 02:39 PM
JOM, Lids, Marchbank, Richards, Pickett all not signed up yet.

We have trade currency and salary cap.

G-Mo77
20-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Koby still in limbo?

I heard this morning he's likely to be a DFA for the Saints.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-10-2016, 02:46 PM
I heard this morning he's likely to be a DFA for the Saints.

That would be disappointing. He's near best 22 for us and to lose him for nothing would be a fair loss

G-Mo77
20-10-2016, 02:48 PM
That would be disappointing. He's near best 22 for us and to lose him for nothing would be a fair loss

We may as well have done the same with Hrovat but looking through the other token trades for irrelevant picks we're not alone. Would love to get at least 50 for him. 15 minutes to go.....

LostDoggy
20-10-2016, 09:50 PM
Koby still in limbo?

Did The 'Aints pick him up?

1eyedog
20-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Did The 'Aints pick him up?

Yep late pick.

LostDoggy
27-10-2016, 07:05 PM

A late reply but I'm just writing to agree with this. I've seen a few posts around saying things like it wouldn't matter if we lost every game next season we can still celebrate winning this year (I'm paraphrasing but you get the gist).

I don't want it to be another 60 years before we see another grand final. I'm sure when we were the best team in 1954 with some powerhouse players no one predicted that it would take us another 7 years to make another Grand Final, let alone another 62 years (!) to win a flag. It can fall apart very quickly. Leicester City are potentially fighting relegation this year, a season after they won the EPL.

Everything looks rosy now, but a club like the Dogs is only ever as strong as its on-field performance.. memberships and momentum will fall off very quickly if we don't make the finals next season -- even a club like Hawthorn that's won so much has had doom and gloom articles written about them since the finals, and in a tiny industry with lazy journos where perception very quickly becomes reality, we cannot afford to be seen as one-season wonders and written off again (which will happen very quickly if we're not winning consistently), which will very quickly lead to 'crisis' articles. Our increased profile is a double-edged sword, and as sure as the sun rises, the media builds things up only to tear them down.

At least Gordon and Beveridge made the right noises after the GF about building a dynasty and becoming respected, but there are a few signs (Libba's offseason most tellingly) that point to a possible premiership hangover next year. The football department have a real job ahead of them, without any early draft picks, to not let any blips turn into downward trends. Smart value pick-ups like Hawthorn did with Dew, Burgoyne, Lake et al will be crucial (I'm do think the Cloke trade was good business, and will be good to have Crameri and Murph back, but like you, I am very worried about our key defender depth.. Morris isn't going to be around forever). I was one of the ones saying prior to the finals that our 7th place this year wasn't a real 7th place (the top 7 were so close all year), but we did still finish 7th, so it's not like we were a powerhouse team blowing everyone away (although our team defence was clearly best-in-class all year, which gave me a lot of hope going into the finals). GWS will improve again, and the top 4 from this year aren't going anywhere.

Finals for the next five years at least are a must, top 4 finishes if possible. Another 2 premierships in the next ten years would be a huge achievement, and would set us up for the future nicely. If we don't win another one in the next ten years, we'll go back to being a smallish club (relatively speaking), just like North (although we do have demographics on our side). Anyway, just my thoughts.