PDA

View Full Version : The Case for Recruiting Mitch Brown?

bulldogtragic
15-10-2016, 09:16 PM
- Hamling is leaving
- Adams may be leaving
- Hurley re-signed, Marchbank wants to Carlton and there's not much better available

- Mitch Brown is a Free Agent, and comes for free
- Mitch Brown is 100% returning to Victoria as his wife's Netball Career has brought her to Victoria

- Mitch Brown is 27, 195cm, 95kg and has 94 games experience
- Mitch Brown averages 11 disposals per game, 3.2 marks which is about the same as Hamling, & better than Nathan Brown
- Mitch Brown is a competent one on one defender
- Mitch Brown is experienced in playing zone defence, and in complex systems like we use

Is that strong enough of a case?

Rocco Jones
15-10-2016, 09:20 PM
- Mitch Brown is a competent one on one defender
- Mitch Brown is experienced in playing zone defence, and in complex systems like we use

He is a competent one on one defender but does he play well in a team defence? The Eagles just used him as a forward/ruck this year, he was woeful in the game against us.

I would rather go short with a 188cm team defence type than play a tall who gets lost in our style i.e Talia.

1eyedog
15-10-2016, 10:10 PM
Would rather play Collins all year than Brown.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2016, 10:15 PM
He is a competent one on one defender but does he play well in a team defence? The Eagles just used him as a forward/ruck this year, he was woeful in the game against us.

I would rather go short with a 188cm team defence type than play a tall who gets lost in our style i.e Talia.

He was played out of position against us by a WCE match committee too cute by half. They thought McG, Barass & Hurn would cover the back and Brown could stretch us down back with Giles, Lycett, Darling & Kennedy. Arguably McGovern was worse on the night and also ended up rucking and playing third string forward. Eric McKenzie had the nod for the spot they were battling for most of the year. I'm not sure he's not competent in a modern system defence. But if he's not good enough to hold a place in our side then we bviously pass and we go smaller. But if we lose two key defenders we have no real depth if we get one or two injuries next year.

1eyedog
15-10-2016, 10:19 PM
Fletch, Collins, Cordy and if the shit hits the fan Cloke and Roughie. There's enough to get through the year and reload if it doesn't work out next week. Even if Adams goes as well we have been in worse positions with our key defensive stocks. At one point we had Brian Lake and that was it.

FWIW I think Adams will stay the extra year now, that is if we don't bring someone in next week.

jeemak
15-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Has there been any interest in him as a free agent from any club at all?

Greystache
15-10-2016, 10:46 PM
To be honest I'd rather play Bailey Dale as a key defender than recruit either Brown.

comrade
15-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Recruiting a washed up Brown brother or Lonergan doesn't strike me as a Bevo move.

whythelongface
15-10-2016, 11:07 PM
To be honest I'd rather play Bailey Dale as a key defender than recruit either Brown.

I'll raise you Caleb Daniel as a key defender ahead of Mitch Brown.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Has there been any interest in him as a free agent from any club at all?

Yep. Apparently been interviewed by a few clubs with WCE stating he will be in Victoria this year. St Kilda were after him at his last contract expiration, and may be front runners.

Raw Toast
15-10-2016, 11:33 PM
Not against taking Brown actually - Beveridge has a very good record at taking people who are not rated that highly and turning them into more than decent defenders within his team-defence system. Wouldn't want to pay overs for him of course but he's had moments of significant promise during his career.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2016, 11:41 PM
Not against taking Brown actually - Beveridge has a very good record at taking people who are not rated that highly and turning them into more than decent defenders within his team-defence system. Wouldn't want to pay overs for him of course but he's had moments of significant promise during his career.

That's certainly the counter argument. Not a big contract at all, but he's much better than a state league player that might get suggested as a strategy for depth in the KPD department if we trade Adams out and don't find a better long term solution.

jeemak
16-10-2016, 12:15 AM
Yep. Apparently been interviewed by a few clubs with WCE stating he will be in Victoria this year. St Kilda were after him at his last contract expiration, and may be front runners.

I have no issues with using him as cover, but not as anything else and I don't want to pay him squat.

If other clubs are into him that pretty much rules us out.

soupman
16-10-2016, 12:35 AM
No. Brown is unlike Adams and Hamling in that he doesn't have anything else to his game other than being a limited stopper.

Hamling is a versatile size meaning he can play on a variety of opponents, and has shown an ability to take intercept marks.

Adams is a very mobile key defender who can also take intercept marks very well.

Maybe Adams leaving means that we start orrying about forwards monstering us again, however Roberts was good this season and Colins is surely a fairly close physical match for Brown with the benefit of scope for improvement in other areas and fresh knees.

Surely there is another key defender out there.

Sedat
16-10-2016, 12:37 AM
I've seen nothing from Mitch Brown to suggest he has a future in the game as a flexible key defender in a zone structure. No thanks from me.

boydogs
16-10-2016, 01:00 AM
Yeah I would, if he ends up being depth we're going OK e.g. Adcock

Remi Moses
16-10-2016, 01:30 AM
The Brown brothers look like they're running on tram tracks
Probably hoping for someone more mobile

Twodogs
16-10-2016, 01:32 AM
That's certainly the counter argument. Not a big contract at all, but he's much better than a state league player that might get suggested as a strategy for depth in the KPD department if we trade Adams out and don't find a better long term solution.

Now we know that Hamling wants out Adams has no choice but to honour his contract and play with us next year. To be fair he's said he's happy to do that and we need him now twice as much as we needed him yesterday.. Ideally we would get another key defender in capable of playing on the bigger forwards.

I'm in the Jackson Trengrove camp. He and Roughead would work well together I think and cover a ruck and defence spot while Campbell and Boyd could cover a ruck and forward spot. Two tall forward targets, two tall defenders and the ruck duties rotated between the four of them.

Remi Moses
16-10-2016, 01:35 AM
Has Tomlinson re-signed? Darcy Gardiner?

Remi Moses
16-10-2016, 01:36 AM
Now we know that Hamling wants out Adams has no choice but to honour his contract and play with us next year. To be fair he's said he's happy to do that and we need him now twice as much as we needed him yesterday.. Ideally we would get another key defender in capable of playing on the bigger forwards.

I'm in the Jackson Trengrove camp.
Trengrove would be a very nice get

Twodogs
16-10-2016, 02:58 AM
Rampe is the guy we should be targeting.

hujsh
16-10-2016, 03:31 AM
I like the Trengrove call. It just gives us that extra bit of flexibility and could be quite handy if Toyd is having a day out down forward to be able to keep him there.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2016, 06:17 AM

I like the Trengrove call. It just gives us that extra bit of flexibility and could be quite handy if Toyd is having a day out down forward to be able to keep him there.

The proposition of the thread was more if these guys aren't gettable, what's our worst case look like.

The Underdog
16-10-2016, 08:07 AM

This is why I've been waiting for the Angus Litherland trade since he was hired

lemmon
16-10-2016, 09:22 AM
I think if Hamling is the only one we lose, we're still on track for next season. We get another 12 months development into Dad and Cordy, Adams plays next year, Roberts hopefully continues to develop and Morris continues being Morris. If Adams still wants to go home next year, we target a good one and get involved in a trade then.

KT31
16-10-2016, 09:24 AM
The proposition of the thread was more if these guys aren't gettable, what's our worst case look like.

Being a free agent don't we have to make the Mitch Brown decision by the end of today, not giving us a chance to see if we can nab a better option ?

bulldogtragic
16-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Being a free agent don't we have to make the Mitch Brown decision by the end of today, not giving us a chance to see if we can nab a better option ?

Yep, only a few hours to go.

Bulldog Joe
16-10-2016, 10:12 AM
If a free agent is not picked up, surely they will then become a delisted free agent and can be added if needed until lists are finalised.

G-Mo77
16-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Yeah there are other options. We don't have to sign him now and I wouldn't rush into picking him either.

The Doctor
16-10-2016, 12:18 PM
I think Mitch Brown is an unfulfilled talent. Injury has prevented him from getting a decent run at it like Tom Williams in my view.

Would be a risk given his injury history.

bornadog
16-10-2016, 02:54 PM
Brother going to Saints

bulldogtragic
16-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Brother going to Saints

Trade? Otherwise they'll get no compo at all for him.

bornadog
16-10-2016, 02:58 PM
Trade? Otherwise they'll get no compo at all for him.

Collingwood said they won't match the offer.

1eyedog
16-10-2016, 02:59 PM

Was right under our noses as well.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Collingwood said they won't match the offer.

Thanks, that means they lost him for no AFEL compo. Must've been a decent offer to get nothing for the draft.

macca
16-10-2016, 03:22 PM
Is this poor list management by the Pies? or they did not have a salary cap to keep him or offer a contract to hold/play out for a compo pick ?

Remi Moses
16-10-2016, 03:28 PM
I'd say that's the end of Sam Fisher .
Brown is very slow

bornadog
16-10-2016, 03:28 PM
Is this poor list management by the Pies? or they did not have a salary cap to keep him or offer a contract to hold/play out for a compo pick ?

Restricted free agent - they didn't want to match the offer.

Pies currently dispensing with 10 players - it's a clean out.

bornadog
16-10-2016, 03:29 PM
I'd say that's the end of Sam Fisher .
Brown is very slow

They will have Carlisle and Brown as their KPP

GVGjr
16-10-2016, 03:50 PM

Very unlikely to leave Sydney I would have thought

GVGjr
16-10-2016, 03:54 PM

Marsh, Brown and, if the rumours are correct, Frost gone from their backline

Templeton31
16-10-2016, 06:09 PM

Also young Goddard when he returns from Achilles injury.

Remi Moses
17-10-2016, 10:22 PM

Just wondering the way the game is played now whether players like Brown are a liability .
Most defences have one big key back and hybrid mobile backs

lemmon
17-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Just wondering the way the game is played now whether players like Brown are a liability .
Most defences have one big key back and hybrid mobile backs

Especially those three. Brown, Carslisle and Goddard are all very similiar types who can only match up on the slow gorilla forwards. Brown must solely be cover

jeemak
18-10-2016, 01:51 AM
Case closed?

bornadog
18-10-2016, 09:15 AM
Case closed?

Still available.

Mantis
18-10-2016, 10:04 AM
I'd rather Bobby Brown.

Twodogs
18-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Was right under our noses as well.

I'd rather Bobby Brown.

I think the original AFL Nathan Brown (G.?) would consider a comeback and I could see Bevo playing him as a tall defender.

westdog54
18-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Thanks, that means they lost him for no AFEL compo. Must've been a decent offer to get nothing for the draft.

Because they'd already secured Mayne as a FA they lose out on compo for losing a FA themselves as the AFEL determined that they haven't suffered a net loss.

bulldogtragic
18-10-2016, 03:17 PM
Because they'd already secured Mayne as a FA they lose out on compo for losing a FA themselves as the AFEL determined that they haven't suffered a net loss.

Yep, and Wells too. More so thinking Collingwood either didn't care if he left, or that the Saints offer on salary was too much for them to match and caught them off guard. Collingwood are looking like a basket case so far this trade period.

comrade
18-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Yep, and Wells too. More so thinking Collingwood either didn't care if he left, or that the Saints offer on salary was too much for them to match and caught them off guard. Collingwood are looking like a basket case so far this trade period.

They look extremely reactive.

Gubby has clearly come in and shaken things up. I can honestly see Bucks gone mid season if it all goes pear shaped.

bulldogtragic
18-10-2016, 03:33 PM

Gubby has clearly come in and shaken things up. I can honestly see Bucks gone mid season WHEN it all goes pear shaped.

Sorry to correct you... :D

Bucks is no longer Michael Corleone, he's Fredo. And Gubby is taking him out for a nice spot of fishing, making sure the job happens quick enough.

azabob
18-10-2016, 04:03 PM

Gubby has clearly come in and shaken things up. I can honestly see Bucks gone mid season if it all goes pear shaped.

Doesn't the list management then sit with Allan? Has he come in and acted before understanding?

LostDoggy
18-10-2016, 09:48 PM
I'd rather Bobby Brown.

That's your perogative.