PDA

View Full Version : Twenty Two Points.

Twodogs
18-10-2016, 10:24 PM
Even now if I hear the number twenty two or just think "Twenty two points" to myself it makes me smile.

Sometimes I just assume somebody else won the premiership this year but then I remember it was us.

AndrewP6
18-10-2016, 10:37 PM
It occurred to me tonight that the points scored on that most amazing day were.. 67-89.

That's 6 7 8 9. I'm not really superstitious but that is pretty cool.

Twodogs
18-10-2016, 11:32 PM
It occurred to me tonight that the points scored on that most amazing day were.. 67-89.

That is pretty cool

AndrewP6
18-10-2016, 11:50 PM
That is pretty cool

Yep. I was gazing at my new premiership scarf when it dawned on me. Premiership scarf... Jeez I love how that sounds!

Twodogs
19-10-2016, 07:04 AM
Yep. I was gazing at my new premiership scarf when it dawned on me. Premiership scarf... Jeez I love how that sounds!

Premiership is just such a brilliant, brilliant word. It's never occurred to me just what a beautiful word premiership is.

Webby
19-10-2016, 07:35 AM
Not sure if anyone else has commented on this - they probably have somewhere, however:

In both the prelim and the Grand Final, we kicked precisely 13.11.89. Which can otherwise be read as 13th of November, 1989.

Those of you who remember October 1989, that was the month in which we had the court injunction, the rally and the tin rattling in order to stave off the Fitzroy takeover and to save the club. We obviously did so by November 1989 - at which point we confirmed our future in the competition. It was an enormously significant event. Arguably the most significant in the club's history. Potentially more so that 1954!

I am not overly superstitious, either. However I would point out that 13.11.89 is the only possible score that can be kicked in a game of Australian Rules Football in order to land on a date in Spring, 1989.... A hugely significant point in time for our club.... And we kicked that score twice consecutively (a rarity in itself) in our two biggest wins for over half a century.

That's a little weird...

Potentially the second most significant event of the 62 year premiership drought period was the day we officially changed our on field name to the "Western Bulldogs." This was done on October 1st, 1996.

That was exactly 20 years to the day prior to the 2016 Grand Final - in which we kicked that Spring 1989 date score for the second consecutive week to win a semi-miraculous flag...

A bit over a year prior to the club's name change, a state funeral was held for the club's biggest name - EJ Whitten. That was August 25th, 1995. On the same day, a baby was born (I'd speculate away in a manger, no crib for his bed, perhaps..) across town. Tom
Boyd played the game of his life and kicked the goal which I believe broke our opposition and sealed the premiership.

When I put those things together, it all feels a bit fateful to me... Particularly after 3 to 4 pints!!

Topdog
19-10-2016, 09:04 AM
I hadn't noticed the part about the possible dates but yes scoring 89 two weeks in a row was quite significant to me.

Basically every significant number for the bulldogs came up on gf day.

Twodogs
19-10-2016, 09:27 AM
Not sure if anyone else has commented on this - they probably have somewhere, however:

In both the prelim and the Grand Final, we kicked precisely 13.11.89. Which can otherwise be read as 13th of November, 1989.

Those of you who remember October 1989, that was the month in which we had the court injunction, the rally and the tin rattling in order to stave off the Fitzroy takeover and to save the club. We obviously did so by November 1989 - at which point we confirmed our future in the competition. It was an enormously significant event. Arguably the most significant in the club's history. Potentially more so that 1954!

I am not overly superstitious, either. However I would point out that 13.11.89 is the only possible score that can be kicked in a game of Australian Rules Football in order to land on a date in Spring, 1989.... A hugely significant point in time for our club.... And we kicked that score twice consecutively (a rarity in itself) in our two biggest wins for over half a century.

That's a little weird...

Potentially the second most significant event of the 62 year premiership drought period was the day we officially changed our on field name to the "Western Bulldogs." This was done on October 1st, 1996.

That was exactly 20 years to the day prior to the 2016 Grand Final - in which we kicked that Spring 1989 date score for the second consecutive week to win a semi-miraculous flag...

A bit over a year prior to the club's name change, a state funeral was held for the club's biggest name - EJ Whitten. That was August 25th, 1995. On the same day, a baby was born (I'd speculate away in a manger, no crib for his bed, perhaps..) across town. Tom
Boyd played the game of his life and kicked the goal which I believe broke our opposition and sealed the premiership.

When I put those things together, it all feels a bit fateful to me... Particularly after 3 to 4 pints!!

Great stuff Webby.

We also missed a shot at goal after the siren in both the prelim and the Grand Final (what a great phrase Grand Final is!!!)

ledge
19-10-2016, 09:34 AM

That's a little weird...

So what your saying is as EJ was leaving us he inserted his spirit and talent into a new born to look after our future, so he didn't have to look down and watch, he was actually there in another body carrying us across the line.
Tom Boyd was the name of the new born .
Or as the intials give Hint to Teddy Boy !

ledge
19-10-2016, 09:50 AM
Add up 5,4,6 and 1 = 16 .
Not related to numbers but our last grand final captains initials were EW

Throughandthrough
19-10-2016, 10:25 AM
I still can't believe we actually won the bloody thing. Surreal.

westdog54
19-10-2016, 10:35 AM
Pointed it out in a another thread but both our 2014 VFL and 2016 AFL Grand Finals were won by 22 points.

Cyberdoggie
19-10-2016, 11:59 AM

Or if you put a 1 in front of each of those numbers (which is also where we will finish) then we have 16, 17, 18, 19. 4 peat anyone?

G-Mo77
19-10-2016, 12:04 PM
To be honest I couldn't even remember the score line until I watched the replay.

ReLoad
19-10-2016, 06:58 PM
ok, someone call Scully and Mulder...........

Scraggers
19-10-2016, 08:22 PM
I really want to love the number 16 ... for 2016 but Voldemort (Griffen) wore 16. I know that Toby Mac now wears the number but still ... :confused:

Eastdog
19-10-2016, 09:13 PM
I still can't believe we actually won the bloody thing. Surreal.

I still think while im getting used to the idea that we are the premiers I still as well can't believe it either but it just was our year and we did it and it will be a special moment in our history along with breaking the GF drought the previous week.

Eastdog
19-10-2016, 09:15 PM

That's a little weird...

:) love it Webby especially a great effort to right a long post before 7am in the morning.

Twodogs
19-10-2016, 10:19 PM
I really want to love the number 16 ... for 2016 but Voldemort (Griffen) wore 16. I know that Toby Mac now wears the number but still ... :confused:

When you think about it Griff did as much as anyone to make a Bulldog flag possible. Not only was he pretty ordinary for GWS in the prelim but he was the one who sent Tommy Boyd down to us as a going away present.

Hes alright is that Ryan Griffith.

westdog54
19-10-2016, 10:21 PM
When you think about it Griff did as much as anyone to make a Bulldog flag possible. Not only was he pretty ordinary for GWS in the prelim but he was the one who sent Tommy Boyd down to us as a going away present.

As did Callan Ward.

The bloke we got with his compo pick kicked the winning goal.

Twodogs
19-10-2016, 10:21 PM
And the great Matty Croft wore number 16. That's pretty good counterbalance for it.

Eastdog
19-10-2016, 10:22 PM

Yep true

Twodogs
19-10-2016, 10:22 PM
As did Callan Ward.

The bloke we got with his compo pick kicked the winning goal.

Another spooky coincidence.

Eastdog
19-10-2016, 10:23 PM
And the great Matty Croft wore number 16. That's pretty good counterbalance for it.

Was younger in those years when he was playing but a great Bulldog warrior he was. Would be great to have someone like him in the team now.

Twodogs
19-10-2016, 10:26 PM
Was younger in those years when he was playing but a great Bulldog warrior he was. Would be great to have someone like him in the team now.

While we are making him young enough to play again can we also make him 3 inches taller? He would have been unbeatable in a marking contest then. The gameplan could be "Long bombs to Jexie"

Bulldog4life
23-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Even now if I hear the number twenty two or just think "Twenty two points" to myself it makes me smile.

Sometimes I just assume somebody else won the premiership this year but then I remember it was us.

And it happened only 22 days ago too. Just finished watching it for the 8th time. Beautiful.

Twodogs
23-10-2016, 06:45 PM
And it happened only 22 days ago too. Just finished watching it for the 8th time. Beautiful.

And 8x4 quarters is 32. Minus the winning captain's number 10 = 22