PDA

View Full Version : On the outer

GVGjr
20-10-2016, 09:00 PM
Some very good players potentially could be looking for homes

Michael Barlow
The out-of-contract midfielder's time at Fremantle appears up. Rival interest in the 28-year-old was limited during the trade period, but as a delisted free agent he could appeal to teams looking to add midfield depth.

Ricky Henderson
The Crows defender has attracted interest in his native Victoria after Adelaide informed him it was not in a position to offer him a new contract. A strong chance to find a new home.

Zac Clarke
The Fremantle free agent is getting closer to re-signing with the Dockers having fielded rival interest as an unrestricted free agent this year.

Mitch Brown
The key defender wants to return home to Victoria after 94 games in 10 seasons with West Coast. After being overlooked in the free agency period, his best hope of being picked up will be as a delisted free agent.

Xavier Richards
The versatile Swans tall requested a last-minute trade home to Victoria but attracted no genuine offers. Swans football chief Tom Harley said on Thursday the club would look to reopen talks with Richards, but he remains set on a move if he can find an interested club.

Dean Towers
The 189cm Swans utility attracted interest from the Brisbane Lions and Victorian clubs late in the year. Harley said on Thursday the club would continue talks with Towers, but his chances of finding a new home appear good if he decides on a move.

Jarryd Blair
The small forward should re-sign with Collingwood, with the parties in a good position to negotiate a new deal now the trade period is over.

Tom Lonergan
Geelong is keen for the veteran defender to play on in 2017 but the 32-year-old has yet to announce his plans. Remains a key part of the Cats' backline so we expect him to continue.

Drew Petrie
The former Roo spearhead is hoping to extend his career at West Coast. The Eagles took Geelong forward/ruckman Nathan Vardy on the last day of the trade period, but are likely to add another experienced tall to help cover Nic Naitanui's absence in 2017, so Petrie's hopes remain alive.

Dylan Buckley
One of a host of out-of-contract Carlton players kept in limbo during the trade period, the running defender's future at Ikon Park will be decided soon. Played just 11 games in 2016 but, at 23, seems well placed to earn another contract.

Andrejs Everitt
Spent time in the VFL this season and could be forced out of Carlton as the club looks to get game time into younger players. Almost made his way to Gold Coast in last year's trade period and, at 27, will have some appeal if he becomes a delisted free agent.

Josh Green
The Tasmanian small forward was hoping for a trade away from the Gabba and appears a long shot to return. Has been linked to Essendon and could find his way there in the pre-season draft.

Mitch Clark
The Cats face a tough decision on the key forward given injury has denied him an extended run to cement a senior position. However, Aaron Black's arrival via a trade with North Melbourne suggests he could be on the way out.

Angus Litherland
The 192cm defender fell out of favour this year after playing 2016's opening four rounds but, at 24, could be retained by the Hawks with Josh Gibson nearing the end of his career. Likely to get an opportunity at a rival club if the Hawks opt not to re-sign him.

Cam O'Shea
In a market where demand for key defenders is strong, the 24-year-old Victorian would likely attract interest if Port can't find room for him on its list next year.

comrade
20-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Of those, Litherland, Richards and O'Shea interest me.

I'm shocked Richards didn't get a bite. Clubs treated draft picks like gold this year (except Hawks!).

Would require Prudden to be delisted.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 09:09 PM
I'm of the view that Prudden should go, all together. But appreciate the view is most want him rookie listed.

I'd like to look at Richards or another defender with a fifth spot on the primary list. With Wallis unlikely to play next year, I'd love a solid ruck/defender to fall to the rookie draft and get an upgrade for the year. Might only be a 1-3 year option.

Weird, I thought I'd probably never thought I'd say this, could Everitt actually be a decent defender in a zone/system of defence. I know paying attention isn't his thing. His last year at Sydney was actually pretty good.

LostDoggy
20-10-2016, 09:16 PM
That little Turd Dipshit Buckley no way after what he did to Toby last year.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 09:22 PM
That little Turd Dipshit Buckley no way after what he did to Toby last year.

If an uncontracted Tutt is ahead Buckley, then that probably says everything.

G-Mo77
20-10-2016, 09:41 PM
True story. Ricky Henderson played (hidden) down in the MCDFL for Trentham. A guy playing bush leagues against 'top' opponents like myself, drafted top 10. He he he, crime doesn't pay.

Twodogs
20-10-2016, 10:58 PM
So Henderson isn't worth looking at? I don't seem to see him play often but he seems to do OK when I do see him.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I wouldn't mind Everitt back. I could see him playing good footy in a disciplined set up where he didn't have to make too many decisions and the object of the game is just to get the ball to the nearest jumper until someone can run or use the it. He kicks the the ball well so he brings a point of difference and is a good size.

GVGjr
20-10-2016, 11:11 PM
I'm of the view that Prudden should go, all together. But appreciate the view is most want him rookie listed.

I'd like to look at Richards or another defender with a fifth spot on the primary list. With Wallis unlikely to play next year, I'd love a solid ruck/defender to fall to the rookie draft and get an upgrade for the year. Might only be a 1-3 year option.

Weird, I thought I'd probably never thought I'd say this, could Everitt actually be a decent defender in a zone/system of defence. I know paying attention isn't his thing. His last year at Sydney was actually pretty good.

Everitt would be a decent footballer in our environment if he is prepared to work hard. Richards might be worth a spot.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 11:27 PM
Everitt would be a decent footballer in our environment if he is prepared to work hard. Richards might be worth a spot.

If his answer was yes, just looking at his final year at Sydney as a defender (as a comparison to where we'd play him), he played every game from Round 8 to the Prelim (ex. 2 games). Averaged 16 disposals & 4 marks which is serviceable as a third tall. The knock is only averaging 2 tackles, 2 rebounds & 3 one Percenters.

What would be interesting is I'd he got cut. But then agreed to train with us with a view to our rookie list and the upgrade happens when he demonstrates ultimate work rate and impact. If he delivers, he provides a similar size to Adams when presumably Adams requests a trade next year (very different players I know). But if he delivers for the season, then promotion is held out. Keep holding out something to keep him motivated to maintain the work rate.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 11:28 PM

I find it interesting that a Grand Final player can't get a club interested in a trade period when players like him are being traded for picks 50-100. Or was it all a COLA media stunt?

comrade
20-10-2016, 11:31 PM
I find it interesting that a Grand Final player can't get a club interested in a trade period when players like him are being traded for picks 50-100. Or was it all a COLA media stunt?

Now you're talking.

Bulldog Revolution
20-10-2016, 11:37 PM
Richards might be worth a spot.

Richards makes a lot of sense for our list size wise - as a replacement for Hamling

GVGjr
20-10-2016, 11:38 PM

It was a crazy trade period, the strangest I've seen. The true value of players has been wrecked by some clubs using their abacus to calculate the points they need for various deals. A lot of the players are getting moved though and to me the competition isn't better for it.

Why couldn't a player like Richard find a home? I'm not sure but once you had players like Mitchell, Lewis, Cloke and even Palmer being moved for basically nothing it just wrecks the whole process.

comrade
20-10-2016, 11:40 PM
First time ever cap space became such a priority for teams. Hawks and Geelong both lost required players and Port were hamstrung by their cap issues.

Feels like there will be some huge dollars thrown at free agents and out of contract players next year.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 11:42 PM
It was a crazy trade period, the strangest I've seen. The true value of players has been wrecked by some clubs using their abacus to calculate the points they need for various deals. A lot of the players are getting moved though and to me the competition isn't better for it.

Why couldn't a player like Richard find a home? I'm not sure but once you had players like Mitchell, Lewis, Cloke and even Palmer being moved for basically nothing it just wrecks the whole process.

With pick 75, surely we could've got the job done if it was 75 or nothing. We simply delist Prudden by the next list lodgement. Don't get me wrong I'd like him for nothing. I remember being in a tiny minority that advocated grabbing his brother from Essendon when even Sheedy was shit panning him. If he's anything like he's brother, he might have some development in the tank and at a second home.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2016, 11:44 PM
First time ever cap space became such a priority for teams. Hawks and Geelong both lost required players and Port were hamstrung by their cap issues.

Feels like there will be some huge dollars thrown at free agents and out of contract players next year.

Deledio apparently took a big pay cut according to GWS and someone took Rhys Palmer, despite his shitness and modest salary. Interesting period in deed.

LostDoggy
21-10-2016, 12:55 AM
He's not for us, but I can't believe Michael Barlow is in that list. A big bodied midfelder who is hard, wins his own ball and runs all day should be in demand.

GVGjr
21-10-2016, 01:06 AM
He's not for us, but I can't believe Michael Barlow is in that list. A big bodied midfelder who is hard, wins his own ball and runs all day should be in demand.

Could you imagine him playing off a HBF? He could be quite a damaging defender.
He might have lost a step in pace but he could easily slot into other roles.

comrade
21-10-2016, 01:07 AM

Player values have tanked, haven't they?

I think it's happened for a few reasons:

A) 2016 is a very strong and deep draft class and picks/list spots are at a premium
B) clubs are wary about salary cap in preparation for next year's free agent class and,
C) the AFL still hasn't locked in the TPP increase, so list managers are negotiating in the dark and it's easier to draft a kid on rookie dollars than spend up on mature players.

Twodogs
21-10-2016, 02:18 AM
Could you imagine him playing off a HBF? He could be quite a damaging defender.
He might have lost a step in pace but he could easily slot into other roles.

I don't think pace is a real issue with guys like Barlow because they know where the ball is going before most other players.

GVGjr
21-10-2016, 11:16 AM
While we are unlikely to open up another spot I do believe there are players on the opening post list that could help improve our list.
One for the WOOF members, are there any players you would like to bring in?

comrade
21-10-2016, 11:25 AM
While we are unlikely to open up another spot I do believe there are players on the opening post list that could help improve our list.
One for the WOOF members, are there any players you would like to bring in?

Litherland and O'Shea are of the most interest me. I like unheralded role playing defenders (Biggs, Rampe, Dempster types), and I'm confident Bevo could find a spot for either of them in the squad.

azabob
21-10-2016, 11:25 AM
I wonder what Bevridge's thoughts on Angus Litherland are?

Is an OK height and has some ability could be an ok stop gap.

I still think Jack Grimes could be an ok rookie list option - I think from memory there are only two other WOOFers who agree.

GVGjr
21-10-2016, 11:29 AM

I still think Jack Grimes could be an ok rookie list option - I think from memory there are only two other WOOFers who agree.

No question that Grimes can play but I suspect Melbourne just didn't see him as being able to hold a regular spot. He played very well in the last month or so in the VFL but only got 2 senior games with Melbourne. The reports from a mate is that he lost a bit of pace

Scraggers
21-10-2016, 01:27 PM
I like the idea of either Richards or O'Shea ... both fit our current list. I would even look at using a late pick in the draft before the PSD. We've got picks 18, 26, 50, 75, 80, 94, 112. I would use 18, 26, 50 as live picks 75, 80 as elevated rookies and 94 & 112 to pick up Richards or O'Shea or both

bulldogtragic
21-10-2016, 01:30 PM
I like the idea of either Richards or O'Shea ... both fit our current list. I would even look at using a late pick in the draft before the PSD. We've got picks 18, 26, 50, 75, 80, 94, 112. I would use 18, 26, 50 as live picks 75, 80 as elevated rookies and 94 & 112 to pick up Richards or O'Shea or both

How many extra delistings are you making, 7 draft picks plus Cloke means 8 delistings. We've 4 gone. Who are your other 4 to delist?

Twodogs
21-10-2016, 02:26 PM
No question that Grimes can play but I suspect Melbourne just didn't see him as being able to hold a regular spot. He played very well in the last month or so in the VFL but only got 2 senior games with Melbourne. The reports from a mate is that he lost a bit of pace

Surely Melbourne would have been giving him games at the end of the season if they thought he had a future? He was fit for most of the backend of the season and if they only gave him 2 games to look at him then it probably says everything about where he is at now. Its a shame because he really looked a good player when he was drafted. Then again it is Melbourne we are talking about-if any club is going to get this wrong its them (or maybe Richmond)

How many extra delistings are you making, 7 draft picks plus Cloke means 8 delistings. We've 4 gone. Who are your other 4 to delist?

I think we will only use 3 picks in the ND. One Rookie upgrade (although we don't really need to do that because Roarke Smith could just cover the guys who are injured-but I like the idea of rewarding hard work and grasping your chances with the extra security of a spot on the senior list-if anyone has earned that then its Roarke Smith) and maybe a cover KPP, although that could be on the Rookie List as well.

So we could get away with minimal list changes. One traded in, three ND picks, maybe 4 and 2 RL picks or maybe 3 depending on how many ND choices we make.

FrediKanoute
21-10-2016, 06:14 PM
I don't think pace is a real issue with guys like Barlow because they know where the ball is going before most other players.

A Matty Boyd replacement?

westdog54
21-10-2016, 07:49 PM

Litherland may be a chance to get rookied if we need some defensive depth.

Twodogs
21-10-2016, 08:48 PM
A Matty Boyd replacement?

Along with Dale Morris, Keithy Boyd is pretty much irreplaceable. It's hard to remember bulldog teams without one or the other.

GVGjr
24-10-2016, 09:29 PM
I find it hard to believe that Michael Barlow won't have a few teams interested in him. He's still got a lot to offer and at the very least could reinvent himself as defensive midfielder or defender. I know we won't be interested in him but we would be a better side if he was added to the list.

bulldogtragic
24-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Stewart & Mitch Clarke both got delisted today. Not expected to find a new home apparently. But WCE rumoured to be considering rookie listing Drew Petrie....