Gold Coast v Brisbane Lions, Metricon Stadium
Essendon v Hawthorn, MCG
Sunday, March 26
Adelaide v Greater Western Sydney, Adelaide Oval
St Kilda v Melbourne, Etihad Stadium
Fremantle v Geelong, Patersons Stadium

angelopetraglia
23-10-2016, 11:14 AM
We have had many discussions on this forum how the AFL has never really given us a real shot at establishing ourselves due to the fixture. We have earned a good fixture with the Premiership and playing a brand of football that the masses want to see. This is our chance. We must deliver again in 2017.

No more first round games against interstate teams on a Sunday afternoon. We are playing Collingwood at the MCG on a Friday night. Big team, big stage. We need to fill the place and send a message to the competition.

The rumour is that we also have five Friday night games and a Thursday night game and Good Friday. This is an enormous help to the club to sell sponsorship, corporate packages and the club in general.

Now is our time. Seize the moment.

Bulldog4life
23-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Heard a rumour that we will get 5 Friday night games next season.

ledge
23-10-2016, 11:47 AM
And we should , no other side performed like we did last year, game style, crowds up , tv ratings through the roof, even if the AFL didn't want us to have them Foxtel would have demanded it.
This myth about the big four no longer exists , equalization means that changes also, look at theses supposed top four teams in the last 15 years .. Essendon, Richmond, Carlton and Collingwood, one premiership between the 4 back in 2010, take out Collingwood and you struggle to even find where the others have played finals . I'm backing we have played in more finals this year than those 4 in the last 15 years.
Looking at crowds also we were pulling more than them and playing lower sides, no premium game times or premium games like ANZAC day.
We are catching them very quickly.

hujsh
23-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Thank god the traditional season opener is still there though. Not sure if I could have handled watching the opening match of the AFL season after so long.

Also the rumour is we have Good Friday with North but it will be rotated.

*!*!*!*! the AFL if true. Give us something in stone the way you do the 'big' clubs you pricks. No one else has to 'earn' what they get and you know that if we were to drop off it'd be back to 1 Friday night and 8 Sunday twilights for us. Carlton Essendon Collingwood and Richmond will still have done enough to monopolise Friday nights despite all failing to make the finals though

GVGjr
23-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Sam Edmund is reporting

NORTH Melbourne will play in football’s first Good Friday game.

The Kangaroos, who first approached the AFL with the concept in 1992, will be confirmed as one of the participants in the marquee timeslot when the 2017 fixture is released on Thursday.

Their likely opponent will be the blockbuster-starved Western Bulldogs, who are set to be rewarded for its stunning 2016 season with a place in the stand-alone twilight contest.

Carlton and St Kilda also presented compelling cases to the AFL, with the Saints putting in a joint submission with the Dogs built around a celebration of junior football.

But the AFL will almost certainly announce that it will rotate the two teams involved every year.

Next year’s historic game is expected to be played from 4pm or 4.30pm, most likely at the now AFL-owned Etihad Stadium and integrated into Channel Seven’s Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal.

Eastdog
23-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Great opening round fixture for us. Well deserved and we should expect to get good scheduling.

We get a big Victorian club first up in the Pies which is nice as the last few years we have opened the season against interstate opposition.

Great that it is a Friday night match as well and from what B4L said that we are rumoured to get more in that time slot. Would be nice to get a mix of Saturday afternoon and Saturday night games.

Don't mind the earlier Sunday games as well.

aker39
23-10-2016, 06:37 PM
There is one way to put pressure on AFL to give this year's teams the Good Friday game the following year and that is to sellout this year's game.

If supporters of both teams are so desperate for it to become a regular fixture, then turn up and put pressure on the league not to give them the game again in 2018.

chef
23-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Good friday is going to be rotated, so lets just enjoy this one if it happens.

LostDoggy
23-10-2016, 08:16 PM
R1 v Collingwood at the G on a Friday night. Couldn't ask for much more, although it would've been nice if it was our home game.

Mantis
23-10-2016, 08:54 PM
R1 v Collingwood at the G on a Friday night. Couldn't ask for much more, although it would've been nice if it was our home game.

Yep, would've been nice to unfurl the flag in rd 1 in front of a big crowd... Guess we will just have to wait until rd 2 against an interstate team at ES. :(

Twodogs
23-10-2016, 09:43 PM
This is good. Let's get rotation of blockbusters on the agenda. The next one we could look at is ANZAC day and ask if Essendon are the most appropriate club to have involved in this landmark game every year? Rotating the teams might solve the delicate problem the AFL have of the stench Essendon gives off these days.

hujsh
24-10-2016, 01:51 AM
This is good. Let's get rotation of blockbusters on the agenda. The next one we could look at is ANZAC day and ask if Essendon are the most appropriate club to have involved in this landmark game every year? Rotating the teams might solve the delicate problem the AFL have of the stench Essendon gives off these days.

The minute a decision is given on the brownlow and the banned players are back it will be forgotten/ignored as if it never happened. After all Carey's back in everyone's good books so why not EFC?

I look forward to Good Fridays played by bottom 8 'big' Clubs after this year is done.

Topdog
24-10-2016, 11:14 AM
The minute a decision is given on the brownlow and the banned players are back it will be forgotten/ignored as if it never happened. After all Carey's back in everyone's good books so why not EFC?

I look forward to Good Fridays played by bottom 8 'big' Clubs after this year is done.

To be fair that took nearly 20 years to happen. From the outside it does seem like he is doing OK for himself these days and not an absolute plonker.

Eastdog
24-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Yep, would've been nice to unfurl the flag in rd 1 in front of a big crowd... Guess we will just have to wait until rd 2 against an interstate team at ES. :(

Hopefully it isn't an interstate team we play at Etihad in our first home game. I'm more inclined to think maybe not this time round but then again it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we did play an interstate team. Will have to wait and see when all will be revealed on Thursday.

Axe Man
25-10-2016, 11:10 AM
The Western Bulldogs will play a home game in Cairns against the Gold Coast in 2017 (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/the-western-bulldogs-will-play-a-home-game-in-cairns-against-the-gold-coast-in-2017/news-story/a2f8dae21e734f1506ec9c20712f60df)

THE Western Bulldogs are heading back to Cairns in 2017.

The premiers will play a “home” game against the Gold Coast Suns at Cazalys Stadium for a fourth straight year.

The Round 18 match will be held on Saturday, July 22. The club is believed to make around $500,000 out of the Far North Queensland venture.

Western Bulldogs chief executive Gary Kent said the Dogs were keen to keep its footprint in North Queensland.

“We are pleased to return to Cairns for the fourth consecutive year, for what has become a much-anticipated match in our fixture,” Kent said.

“Our fans have shown great support for this match in the past, and we hope to see that continue next season.”

The AFL, Queensland Government, through Tourism and Events Queensland, Cairns Regional Council and AFL Cairns have struck a one-year deal.

The 2016 match between the Suns and Bulldogs was held as a night fixture but next season’s game will return to the twilight timeslot.

GVGjr
25-10-2016, 11:26 AM
I think that is good news. One more year of a good financial return from a home game.

Happy Days
25-10-2016, 11:31 AM
To be fair that took nearly 20 years to happen. From the outside it does seem like he is doing OK for himself these days and not an absolute plonker.

Seriously problematic that people remember him "dogging the boys" over him committing aggravated assault on his girlfriend.

Ozza
25-10-2016, 11:37 AM
I think that is good news. One more year of a good financial return from a home game.

I agree.

We haven't lost there in our 3 games at the ground, and have made some cash along the way.

Looking at the date of the game, it falls on my wedding anniversary....maybe I'll take the opportunity to get up there with the wife for a few days, and fit the bulldogs game in there! Perfect!

Topdog
25-10-2016, 11:47 AM
I agree.

We haven't lost there in our 3 games at the ground, and have made some cash along the way.

Looking at the date of the game, it falls on my wedding anniversary....maybe I'll take the opportunity to get up there with the wife for a few days, and fit the bulldogs game in there! Perfect!

What a great co-incidence honey!

jeemak
25-10-2016, 01:08 PM
I agree.

What a great co-incidence honey!

I didn't know you guys were married.

comrade
25-10-2016, 01:35 PM
I hate that we have to sell games to Cairns. We might be undefeated up there but I doubt we've won any the week after.

Hopefully we get Brisbane at Etihad.

Topdog
25-10-2016, 02:46 PM
I hate that we have to sell games to Cairns. We might be undefeated up there but I doubt we've won any the week after.

Hopefully we get Brisbane at Etihad.

Lost all 3 by 15 points or under. You wonder how much it cost us in those games.

GVGjr
25-10-2016, 07:20 PM
The Good Friday game has been confirmed. Starting at 4.20pm and North plays us.

Topdog
25-10-2016, 07:32 PM
My mate said it was a night game. That is firmly twilight time. Love that we got it though

Rocco Jones
25-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Would love to be able to play Cairns game before our bye but I am sure we can't due to the craziness that is their weather.

divvydan
25-10-2016, 07:51 PM
The twilight timeslot makes sense for Good Friday as it still allows Ch 7 to run their variety show that they do at night.

hujsh
25-10-2016, 08:21 PM
Don't want to play Cairns. Hopefully it's the last year and we play 2 in Ballarat instead in 2018.

LostDoggy
25-10-2016, 10:51 PM
The Good Friday game has been confirmed. Starting at 4.20pm and North plays us.

Away game?

bornadog
25-10-2016, 10:57 PM
Away game?

Yes it is North's home game.

Good Friday footy arrives: Roos to host Dogs in 2017 (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-25/good-friday-footy-arrives-roos-to-host-dogs-in-2017)

jeemak
25-10-2016, 11:13 PM
Hopefully the optimism behind our horse trading for the Hrovat trade plays out on this stage. I'd love to belt Norf in this game, given their ramblings about their right to be the first team to play within it.

We'd not have secured it without being a preliminary finalist.

GVGjr
25-10-2016, 11:19 PM
Apparently we will play North twice in 2017 and will split the gate with them meaning we aren't disadvantaged financially if there is a huge crowd at the Good Friday game.

Eastdog
27-10-2016, 12:26 AM
Should be interesting Good Friday footy next year. Good to hear we will be apart of it. The timeslot is ok as well so its a twilight start 20 mins earlier than the usual twilight starts of 4:40pm so expected to finish just before 7pm - makes sense for the TV networks. Hoping we get a big crowd.

All will be revealed tomorrow.

westdog54
27-10-2016, 09:27 AM
For purely selfish reasons, I hope we get an MCG game in May. My kids won some tickets in a raffle.

Throughandthrough
27-10-2016, 10:00 AM
We only play teams that finished below us this season. #DreamRun

comrade
27-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Rd 2 v Swans at Etihad.
Rd 22 v Power at Ballarat

aker39
27-10-2016, 10:44 AM
Rnd 23 v Hawthorn

LostDoggy
27-10-2016, 10:45 AM
Rd 2 v Swans at Etihad.
Rd 22 v Power at Ballarat

Nice. Unfurling the flag in front of the defeated.

aker39
27-10-2016, 10:45 AM
Rnd 11 Bye

aker39
27-10-2016, 10:48 AM
8 day break after Cairns game

aker39
27-10-2016, 10:48 AM
8 six day breaks - equal most

LostDoggy
27-10-2016, 10:52 AM
7 Friday nights (plus 3 Sat nigt, 1 Thurs night), 0 Sunday twilight.

It's good be Premiers.

chef
27-10-2016, 10:52 AM
8 Friday night and a Thursday night. Excellent

cinder
27-10-2016, 10:53 AM
Hopefully it isn't an interstate team we play at Etihad in our first home game. I'm more inclined to think maybe not this time round but then again it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we did play an interstate team. Will have to wait and see when all will be revealed on Thursday.

It's the grand final rematch against Syd in Round 2 at Etihad.

Axe Man
27-10-2016, 10:54 AM
http://s16.postimg.org/5em2djfol/Capture.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/r112uke8x/)

Axe Man
27-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Play Twice:
Sydney
GWS
West Coast
North
Brisbane

Templeton31
27-10-2016, 10:58 AM
8 of first 11 on 7 / Free to air.

SlimPickens
27-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Should be interesting Good Friday footy next year. Good to hear we will be apart of it. The timeslot is ok as well so its a twilight start 20 mins earlier than the usual twilight starts of 4:40pm so expected to finish just before 7pm - makes sense for the TV networks. Hoping we get a big crowd.

All will be revealed tomorrow.

It will be a huge crowd. Plenty of neutrals as well as all the dogs and swans fans.
I was at a Storm game years ago played on Good Friday at Etihad and there was 40,000 there.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2016, 11:04 AM
8 Friday night games in one year. That's equal to the last 6 years I think.

comrade
27-10-2016, 11:04 AM
If we can't secure a big sponsor off the back of that fixture we never will.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2016, 11:09 AM
If we can't secure a big sponsor off the back of that fixture we never will.

Yep, we are the prime time winners for 2017. I'd hope we get a couple of big sponsors with all those Friday night games. It's a captive footy market on Friday night, and with the way we play, there should be a lot of watchers that sponsors/advertisers would love to sell to.

comrade
27-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Yep, we are the prime time winners for 2017. I'd hope we get a couple of big sponsors with all those Friday night games. It's a captive footy market on Friday night, and with the way we play, there should be a lot of watchers that sponsors/advertisers would love to sell to.

I heard a whisper that Mission are upping their sponsorship investment in line with the increased exposure we're providing. I was told it could double next year.

GVGjr
27-10-2016, 11:15 AM
8 Friday night games in one year. That's equal to the last 6 years I think.

It's 7 Friday night games and 1 Thursday night game.

We also play Port at Ballarat

bulldogtragic
27-10-2016, 11:16 AM
I heard a whisper that Mission are upping their sponsorship investment in line with the increased exposure we're providing. I was told it could double next year.

That would be an amazing outcome, especially if we can lock them away for another 3-5 years. I've always said I'd love to see the coaches polo tops to look like an F1 drivers race suit with brands everywhere. Here's hoping. A slither of credit to the AFEL for giving us the games, even thought they're making money off the back of being bandwagoners for their own agenda.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Only annoying thing is we have a six day break coming back from Perth before our good Friday match. Not the ideal prep for the big match. Probably the AFL trying to make sure we don't completely belt the Roos!

Throughandthrough
27-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Just had a slight grizzle about the draw. A work Colleague "F&** off, you just win the premiership" Good times.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2016, 11:18 AM

My bad, the graphic on the last page had 8 FN & the Thursday game.

aker39
27-10-2016, 11:19 AM

There are going to be a lot a pissed off members that won't get in to this game.

chef
27-10-2016, 11:24 AM

http://s16.postimg.org/5em2djfol/Capture.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/r112uke8x/)

Looks like 8 Friday nights and a Thursday night. Sweet

GVGjr
27-10-2016, 11:24 AM
My bad, the graphic on the last page had 8 FN & the Thursday game.

I think you might be right, I went off Stevo's tweet. I don't think he is counting the Good Friday game as an evening game
We also play the Hawks in the last game of the round with a TBC on the day.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2016, 11:27 AM
I think you might be right, I went off Stevo's tweet. I don't think he is counting the Good Friday game as an evening game
We also play the Hawks in the last game of the round with a TBC on the day.

And a Saturday night against Richmond. We could conceivably play more than half the season in prime time spots (1 Thursday Night, 8 Friday Nights, 2 Saturday nights plus the Hawks game which could be a night game). That's an epic turnaround from custodians of the Sunday 4.40pm game.

How far has this club come in two years?!?! Amazing. Now for the sponsors!

GVGjr
27-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Looks like 8 Friday nights and a Thursday night. Sweet

I think the Good Friday game isn't regarded by Stevo as a night game because of the starting time

LostDoggy
27-10-2016, 11:31 AM
And a Saturday night against Richmond. We could conceivably play more than half the season in prime time spots (1 Thursday Night, 8 Friday Nights, 2 Saturday nights plus the Hawks game which could be a night game). That's an epic turnaround from custodians of the Sunday 4.40pm game.

How far has this club come in two years?!?! Amazing. Now for the sponsors!

There's a 3rd Sat night game as well (Dockers in Perth)

aker39
27-10-2016, 11:32 AM
I think the Good Friday game isn't regarded by Stevo as a night game because of the starting time

The summary that the AFL put out for each club summaries games in timeslots.

Friday Night 7
Friday Twilight 1

bulldogsthru&thru
27-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Only 2 of our Friday nights are home games

bornadog
27-10-2016, 11:36 AM

Now that does stink since we are the reigning premiers. Another Friday night in Geelong included.

Axe Man
27-10-2016, 11:37 AM
One downside is our Etihad home games aren't great for pulling big crowds and therefore gate receipts. Cairns and Ballarat will go some helping of course.
Friday night v Sydney - good, should be a big crowd.
Saturday arvo v Brisbane - poor.
Saturday night v Richmond - ok if Richmond start the season well, if they are struggling the tiger fans won't turn up.
Saturday arvo v St Kilda - should be pretty good if St Kilda are travelling reasonably well.
Sunday arvo v Melbourne - average, they don't travel to Etihad.
Saturday night v North - potentially poor if North are struggling but offset if we are splitting this gate and the good Friday game.
Saturday arvo v West Coast - average.
Sunday arvo v Essendon - hard to say, hopefully the bombers fans will jump back on the bandwagon.
Friday night v GWS - we will have the place to ourselves.

Cyberdoggie
27-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Weird we only play the Hawks once and it is the very last game of the season.

Also the Ballarat game, second last game of the year. Going to be nice and gold middle of August in Ballarat, would of been better earlier in the year to be honest.

Lots of travelling as usual, including 2x perth games and a cairns game, plus Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane and Adelaide (also geelong and ballarat if you consider that travelling). A tough draw which you would expect after winning 'The Premiership', but lots of exposure and prime time.
Players might need to take some vitamin D as there isn't many day games. Hard to take the kids to many games next year.

anfo27
27-10-2016, 11:41 AM

Yep and both against interstate teams. It is an improvement from what we're used to but no Melbourne team plays the interstate teams more than we do.

bornadog
27-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Also the Ballarat game, second last game of the year. Going to be nice and gold middle of August in Ballarat, would of been better earlier in the year to be honest..

The ground won't be ready, so they have pushed to end of season as much as possible.

Ozza
27-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Hard to complain about that draw!

Of course, the 6 day breaks aren't ideal - but we have plenty of time to prepare for it - and our depth should mean that we can manage the breaks well turning over some players, and giving some opportunities here and there.

So much exposure on free to air.

1eyedog
27-10-2016, 12:11 PM
That is a bloody tough draw.

bornadog
27-10-2016, 12:12 PM
That is a bloody tough draw.

Nah, we will set a new record, undefeated in a season.

1eyedog
27-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Nah, we will set a new record, undefeated in a season.

To be the best you've got to beat the best and next year will be a big challenge - looking forward to it.

ledge
27-10-2016, 12:19 PM
So we get 7 Friday nights but only two at home ., the home team gets the attendance money is that right ?
So we win the flag but only get attendance money from two games in prime time .. What did the 5 other teams do better than us last year to get them as home games against us and make more money than us ?
Does anyone know how this is fair or how it works ? We must get something out of it you would think.

ledge
27-10-2016, 12:22 PM
And if 5 are away games isn't it the home teams that put the sponsors up all over the place not the away team ?
If that's true how does it improve our sponsorship ?
I'm really confused it seems to me we have celebrated getting 7 home games but been shafted with sponsors and attendance.
Blind sided and back doored to me .

bulldogsthru&thru
27-10-2016, 12:44 PM
We actually have 8 friday night games (good friday included) and only 2 are home games. Pretty poor from the AFL if you ask me. WE are the reigning premiers. Yes it's great to get 8 friday night games, but surely 50% could have been home games so we could at least reap the rewards.

comrade
27-10-2016, 12:51 PM
There are going to be a lot a pissed off members that won't get in to this game.

There will be pissed off supporters, regardless of what innovations we try to improve our financial position.

There will be a replacement game.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2016, 01:26 PM
We actually have 8 friday night games (good friday included) and only 2 are home games. Pretty poor from the AFL if you ask me. WE are the reigning premiers. Yes it's great to get 8 friday night games, but surely 50% could have been home games so we could at least reap the rewards.

With our Etihad deal as it stands today, there's not a lot of reward at all. I get 50% would be best for equatable distribution as a concept, but Gordo has said the one game in Cairns ($500,000) was worth more this year than all our highest attendance games combined. The Friday night games are most valuable in selling ourselves to sponsors and exposure to kids & neutrals watching the games. To that end, we've done/will do well.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-10-2016, 01:50 PM
With our Etihad deal as it stands today, there's not a lot of reward at all. I get 50% would be best for equatable distribution as a concept, but Gordo has said the one game in Cairns ($500,000) was worth more this year than all our highest attendance games combined. The Friday night games are most valuable in selling ourselves to sponsors and exposure to kids & neutrals watching the games. To that end, we've done/will do well.

When does the new stadium deal kick-in now that AFL have purchased Etihad?

ledge
27-10-2016, 01:52 PM

I believe he said that before we knew the AFL had bought Etihad, he has been pedalling that line for years , but now the AFL own it I would say it's changed for the better by a big margin.

ledge
27-10-2016, 01:55 PM

I believe they take over either this month or next . I remember reading somewhere the roof needs upgrading and the whole stadium basically . Roof was at a cost of 50 mil from my memory . So I guess the AFL will have to get that money from somewhere.

Twodogs
27-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Nice. Unfurling the flag in front of the defeated.

I would have liked GWS actually. Sydney's appropriately good I guess but GWS would have been better. I wonder if we could fly them down and make them watch? You're allowed to order stuff like that when you're the premiers surely?

One downside is our Etihad home games aren't great for pulling big crowds and therefore gate receipts. Cairns and Ballarat will go some helping of course.
Friday night v Sydney - good, should be a big crowd.
Saturday arvo v Brisbane - poor.
Saturday night v Richmond - ok if Richmond start the season well, if they are struggling the tiger fans won't turn up.
Saturday arvo v St Kilda - should be pretty good if St Kilda are travelling reasonably well.
Sunday arvo v Melbourne - average, they don't travel to Etihad.
Saturday night v North - potentially poor if North are struggling but offset if we are splitting this gate and the good Friday game.
Saturday arvo v West Coast - average.
Sunday arvo v Essendon - hard to say, hopefully the bombers fans will jump back on the bandwagon.
Friday night v GWS - we will have the place to ourselves.

Cool so it will be like the prelim at Spotless then?

Twodogs
27-10-2016, 02:04 PM

Do we know we will automatically get one or will the old terms still apply under the new landlord? I wasn't really paying attention when they announced it all because we were on our way to winning a premiership (I will never get sick of saying the words "win a premiership) so it all went by with very little input from me. Do we get a new deal for sure?

ledge
27-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Do we know we will automatically get one or will the old terms still apply under the new landlord? I wasn't really paying attention when they announced it all because we were on our way to winning a premiership (I will never get sick of saying the words "win a premiership) so it all went by with very little input from me. Do we get a new deal for sure?

Yes that's what part of the news was , a lot better deal, but what it is no one knows.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2016, 02:12 PM

I believe he said that before we knew the AFL had bought Etihad, he has been pedalling that line for years , but now the AFL own it I would say it's changed for the better by a big margin.

No new deal signed off on from my understanding. Personally, I have no faith that the AFEL will make a new deal ridiculously better. Their plan is to spend $300,000,000 developing the stadium after purchasing it for a heap. Will the AFEL take the half a billion dollar hit whilst giving us a big leg up? Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we will see a deal that will be so considerable when the AFEL will want income steady to facilitate their investments in Etihad. Back to the original point, I agree the prime time games should be equitable, but we won't be losing too much. What we gain from exposure to fans & future members, and selling exposure to sponsors is huge. Think about it, presence on our jumpers, and coaches polos, coaches box advertising, the rear of Danny's banner at the start of the game, little banners pulled out at 1/4 & 3/4 time at the huddle, the back of the magnet board, the board/banner situated behind the before the game interviews and behind the coach in the after match presser and much more. The price for all that sponsorship exposure has gone through the roof, irrespective of home team or away team status. It's a good news story, especially as reigning premiers trying to get neutrals and kids to sign up as members. In two years we've gone from Sunday late arvo guarantees to most prime time exposed team in the competition, which propels more success. Or that's how I see it.

Danny the snakeman
27-10-2016, 02:24 PM
2 perth games, great for us living here (as long as we win)

Rocket Science
27-10-2016, 03:00 PM

It's good be Premiers.

I think Mel Brooks said it best ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z8SpgmF0sA

Eastdog
27-10-2016, 04:30 PM

Obviously will be a tougher draw but that should be expected given we are the premiers. Some great time slots next year and great to get the Good Friday game and a lot of Friday night games. Like the few Saturday and Sunday day games as well. I read that membership items Ballarat specific will come at in December.

hujsh
27-10-2016, 04:45 PM
Who cares if the Friday games are at home or not. You don't play Friday night for the crowd attendances you play them for the ratings and FTA exposure.

Eastdog
27-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Who cares if the Friday games are at home or not. You don't play Friday night for the crowd attendances you play them for the ratings and FTA exposure.

Its really our home games where we need to worry about attendances but this year and I expect next again they'll be up.

Eastdog
27-10-2016, 04:54 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-10-27/dogs-swans-primetime-kings-as-2017-fixture-is-revealed

Dogs, Swans prime-time kings as 2017 fixture is revealed

THE WESTERN Bulldogs and Sydney Swans are the kings of prime-time footy with this year's Grand Finalists dominating the Thursday and Friday night timeslots in 2017.

Next year's Toyota AFL Premiership Season Fixture was unveiled by the AFL on Thursday morning and reigning premiers the Western Bulldogs have been rewarded with seven Friday night games plus one on a Thursday night, while the vanquished Sydney Swans play eight times on a Friday night and twice on a Thursday night.

Click HERE for the full fixture.

The first of two Grand Final rematches will take place at Etihad Stadium on the Friday night of round two, when the Bulldogs will unveil their 2016 premiership flag.

The AFL has increased the number of Thursday night games from five to eight, with two at the MCG over the opening fortnight of the season and another at the redeveloped Simonds Stadium in round 10. That game will be the first of five consecutive Thursday night games.

Canberra's Manuka Oval will also stage its first ever Friday night game in round six when Greater Western Sydney hosts the Bulldogs in a rematch of last season's magnificent preliminary final. It will be the Giants' Friday night debut and will mark the first of three prime-time games for GWS in 2017.

The AFL has not scheduled a game for the opening Saturday afternoon of the season on March 25 so that the Grand Final of the inaugural AFL Women's competition can be played at that time.

As already announced, two new venues come on stream in 2017. Port Adelaide and Gold Coast will play the first AFL game for premiership points in China at Shanghai's Jiangwan Sports Centre in round eight, while in round 22, Ballarat's Eureka Stadium will stage the Dogs and the Power.

The bye periods will run from rounds 11-13.

The AFL has backed in St Kilda as a big drawcard with four Friday night games in 2017.

However, another likely improver, Melbourne, play just once in the prized timeslot.

Richmond opens the season with two Thursday night games but then disappears from prime time entirely. In 2016 the Tigers played six Friday and one Thursday night game.

Fremantle also misses out on Friday night action.

The Demons do face an acid test in another area, as one of four clubs, along with Geelong, Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs, facing eight six-day breaks over the course of the season. Adelaide and the Swans will need to negotiate seven six-day breaks.

At the other end of the ladder, Gold Coast faces just two six-day turnarounds.

There will also be three five-day breaks in the AFL next season.

Because Anzac Day falls on a Tuesday in 2017, Collingwood and Essendon will have to play on the following Sunday. West Coast also has a dreaded five day-break. It will host the Swans at Domain Stadium on Easter Thursday (as requested) just five days after facing Richmond at the MCG.

In more good news for the Bulldogs, they play only two of last season's other top-six teams twice (the Swans and Giants). The Swans, Giants and Hawthorn also play two matches each against three of their fellow top-six clubs.

West Coast has a tough draw with two matches each against the Bulldogs, the Giants and the improving St Kilda, as well as derby clashes with a new-look Fremantle.

And a team to watch from the bottom six might be Gold Coast. The Suns have a favourable draw. Out of 2016's top eight, the Suns only have to play Hawthorn and North Melbourne twice, the rest once. The Suns also play Carlton and the Brisbane Lions twice, encounters they will expect to win in 2017.

As already reported, Good Friday football will be played for the first time in 2017 when North Melbourne hosts the Western Bulldogs in a twilight clash at Etihad Stadium.

Both rounds four (Easter) and five (Anzac) will be played over five days each, which means 10 days of football over 13 days between April 13-25.

Apart from the already announced Hawthorn 'grudge' matches against new Eagle Sam Mitchell (MCG, round five) and new Demon Jordan Lewis (MCG, round seven), other tasty match-ups include new Giant Brett Deledio against Richmond at Spotless Stadium in round nine, and Collingwood's Daniel Wells against his old club North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium in round 20.

Collingwood will celebrate its 125th birthday with a Saturday afternoon clash in round seven against arch-rival Carlton at the MCG.

The Showdowns will take place in rounds three and 20, the West Australian derbies in rounds six and 17, the Sydney derbies in rounds five and 17 and the Q Clashes in rounds one and 21.

The AFL has retained the floating fixture in round 23 - nine games with the dates and times to be confirmed before the end of the season. Among those that might shape the finals are what could be the last ever AFL game at Domain Stadium, featuring West Coast hosting Adelaide, as well as Hawthorn as the home team against the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium, Collingwood v Melbourne and Richmond v St Kilda, both at the MCG, and Geelong v GWS at Simonds Stadium.

As part of the new TV rights agreement that kicks in next year, all Saturday afternoon home and away games will now be shown exclusively on Foxtel. Channel Seven will broadcast all the Thursday night games, except for the Easter Thursday Eagles v Swans clash.

Eastdog
27-10-2016, 05:15 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS

1 Friday, March 24 Collingwood MCG Away 7.50pm Seven

2 Friday, March 31 Sydney Swans Etihad Stadium Home 7.50pm Seven

3 Saturday, April 8 Fremantle Subiaco Away 5.40pm Seven

4 Friday, April 14 North Melbourne Etihad Stadium Away 4.20pm Seven

5 Saturday, April 22 Brisbane Lions Etihad Stadium Home 1.45pm Foxtel

6 Friday, April 28 GWS GIANTS Manuka Oval Away 7.50pm Seven

7 Saturday, May 6 Richmond Etihad Stadium Home 7.25pm Seven

8 Friday, May 12 West Coast Eagles Subiaco Away 6.10pm Seven

9 Friday, May 19 Geelong Cats Simonds Stadium Away 7.50pm Seven

10 Saturday, May 27 St Kilda Etihad Stadium Home 1.45pm Foxtel

11 Bye

12 Thursday, June 8 Sydney Swans SCG Away 7.20pm Seven

13 Sunday, June 18 Melbourne Etihad Stadium Home 3.20pm Foxtel

14 Saturday, June 24 North Melbourne Etihad Stadium Home 7.25pm Foxtel

15 Saturday, July 1 West Coast Eagles Etihad Stadium Home 1.45pm Foxtel

16 Friday, July 7 Adelaide Crows Adelaide Oval Away 7.20pm Seven

17 Sunday, July 16 Carlton MCG Away 3.20pm Seven

18 Saturday, July 22 Gold Coast SUNS Cazalys Stadium Home 4.35pm Foxtel

19 Sunday, July 30 Essendon Etihad Stadium Home 1.10pm Foxtel

20 Saturday, August 5 Brisbane Lions The Gabba Away 4.35pm Foxtel

21 Friday, August 11 GWS GIANTS Etihad Stadium Home 7.50pm Seven

22 Saturday, August 19 Port Adelaide Eureka Stadium Home 1.45pm Foxtel

23 TBC Hawthorn Etihad Stadium Away TBC TBC

Throughandthrough
27-10-2016, 06:02 PM
2 perth games, great for us living here (as long as we win)

Adelaide vs Crows over here. Havent seen a Crows/Dogs match live for yonks.

chef
27-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Obviously will be a tougher draw but that should be expected given we are the premiers.

TBH we have the easiest draw, we only play teams that finished below us:p

bornadog
27-10-2016, 06:07 PM
Be nice to thrash some teams next year, especially Geelong.

Axe Man
27-10-2016, 06:15 PM

I will settle for just beating them, something we haven't done since 2009 (lost the last 10).

Eastdog
27-10-2016, 06:17 PM
TBH we have the easiest draw, we only play teams that finished below us:p

Will still be challenging but yes it actually looks quite good.

Twodogs
27-10-2016, 06:59 PM

I will settle for just beating them, something we haven't done since 2009 (lost the last 10).

Do you reckon we would have beaten Geelong in the Grand Final?

Everything came out Milhaus for us that day.

Axe Man
27-10-2016, 07:06 PM

I'm fairly confident we would have. We were at our absolute best throughout the finals series whilst Geelong seemed a little off in their 2 games, just getting past Hawthorn and then getting pantsed by Sydney.

I reckon we beat the 2 other best teams in finals in GWS and Sydney. Geelong were at a level below those 2 in September.

Bulldog4life
27-10-2016, 07:10 PM

We would have beaten anyone in the Grand Final. We are premiers....I love saying that too.

LostDoggy
27-10-2016, 07:57 PM

I have to say that Geelong were the team I feared meeting the most this September. We had all the other finalists covered (as the team subsequently proved), having beat them all in the H&A season, but we haven't been able to get over Geelong for a while, even outside of finals. Something about them this year matches up well with our strengths.. probably the fact that both our midfields are our strongest facets and theirs probably just shades ours. Our midfield beating everyone else's was the key to winning all our finals .. every other team probably had a stronger overall team, but our midfield eventually overrunning their midfield over 4 quarters was just enough to overcome our other deficiencies and unlock our other strengths. Geelong's mids would have stood up better than (certainly) West Coast's, or Hawthorn's, or GWS's, and possibly even Sydney's.

But yeah, this year was Destiny. Nothing would have stood in our way.

Twodogs
27-10-2016, 08:24 PM
I agree. No other team was getting in the way.

I was always confident that the winner would come from our side of the prelim final draw. It was us and GWS and the rest of the comp in the last few weeks. I think it's one of the reasons we were so much more excited after beating GWS than on GF night. Sydney were wobbling at the knees and we just needed to land a hefty blow to knock them down. It ended up needing a heftier blow than I thought it would take but either of us or GWS had it in us.

LostDoggy
27-10-2016, 09:34 PM

It's good be Premiers.
It's good to be the Kings.

1eyedog
27-10-2016, 09:40 PM

Probably not, but now that we have one I looking forward to meeting them in one and gambling on that next year.

S Coast Simon
28-10-2016, 08:32 AM
It is great to see us playing Friday night footy a lot but it will be hard work. I briefly looked at the draw and we seem to play top 8 teams after a 6 day break and bottom 10 teams after 8 day breaks. This will test our medics and recovery will be crucial. 6 day breaks is the price you pay for Friday night games so we must take it graciously I suppose. All in all should be an exciting year ahead.

KT31
28-10-2016, 09:32 AM

I feared playing Geelong in the finals and was wrapped when Hawthorn's Smith missed after the siren.
But reflectively the way we played the final series I am sure now that no team was good enough to stand between us and our want to hold the Premier Cup aloft.

Topdog
28-10-2016, 10:45 AM
It is great to see us playing Friday night footy a lot but it will be hard work. I briefly looked at the draw and we seem to play top 8 teams after a 6 day break and bottom 10 teams after 8 day breaks. This will test our medics and recovery will be crucial. 6 day breaks is the price you pay for Friday night games so we must take it graciously I suppose. All in all should be an exciting year ahead.

6 day beaks is somewhat of a myth to be honest. Its the multiple 6 day breaks in a row that are actually seem to impact performance and results.

Also what was top 8 this year will not be top 8 next year. North will drop (we play them twice), Hawks potentially will drop if Rough doesnt come back, West Coast to drop too IMO with no Nic Nat and I wouldn't be surprised if Adelaide have been found out.

hujsh
28-10-2016, 11:01 AM
6 day beaks is somewhat of a myth to be honest. Its the multiple 6 day breaks in a row that are actually seem to impact performance and results.

Also what was top 8 this year will not be top 8 next year. North will drop (we play them twice), Hawks potentially will drop if Rough doesnt come back, West Coast to drop too IMO with no Nic Nat and I wouldn't be surprised if Adelaide have been found out.

And with 2 Sunday games for the year (against minnows Essendon and the irrelevant Carlton) there shouldn't be too many in a row

ledge
28-10-2016, 11:45 AM

Yes I love the old "top 8" turn out every year , if that was the case why have a competition?
But I will say if ever you wanted to play sides the next year that were in the top 8 last year I prefer this year ,I think a few will drop down due to age, list management.
It was a very even top 8 as well meaning you could beat any of them.
I'm more worried about up and comers, Saints ,Melbourne and GWS , they are young and will only improve.

Scorlibo
28-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Always amusing to hear the best games of the season framed as those where star players face their old clubs. Who actually cares? When the season comes around, everyone just turns their focus to the ladder and critical games in the context of each club's premiership tilt.

Twodogs
28-10-2016, 12:36 PM
And with 2 Sunday games for the year (against minnows Essendon and the irrelevant Carlton) there shouldn't be too many in a row

hashahahaha!

Up your arse Elliot you old drunk.

Greystache
28-10-2016, 01:01 PM
hashahahaha!

Up your arse Elliot you old drunk.

Correction, old midget drunk.

First time I saw him I thought he was a child playing dress up. He was barely taller than my belt buckle. It probably explains his behaviour, compensating.

G-Mo77
28-10-2016, 04:15 PM
As great as it is to have many prime time games personally for me it sucks. My son wants to go more and more and I just can't take him to night games considering I don't get home until very late after the drive home.

Call me old fashioned but give me Saturday afternoon games anytime.

hujsh
28-10-2016, 04:31 PM
As great as it is to have many prime time games personally for me it sucks. My son wants to go more and more and I just can't take him to night games considering I don't get home until very late after the drive home.

Call me old fashioned but give me Saturday afternoon games anytime.

Would the train help or is the issue you have to work Saturday morning?

G-Mo77
28-10-2016, 05:04 PM

Nah it would get me home later. I have no problem going and getting home late. Work? Pfff. I'll take sickies to go to games :) I've got a 3 year old to think about who is already asking to go so the choices are pretty slim for games for him to attend in 2017.

Twodogs
28-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Correction, old midget drunk.

First time I saw him I thought he was a child playing dress up. He was barely taller than my belt buckle. It probably explains his behaviour, compensating.

The only time I ever saw him was outside a cafe in St Kilda rd and he was sitting down. We were heading for the 7-11 to get slurpees after spending a very hot summers day fielding and I really didn't pay him much attention. I really just wanted to see how red his nose was in real life. the compensating thing makes a lot of sense.

Nah it would get me home later. I have no problem going and getting home late. Work? Pfff. I'll take sickies to go to games :) I've got a 3 year old to think about who is already asking to go so the choices are pretty slim for games for him to attend in 2017.

You, him, couch, TV can be very satisfying too. That's how I watched the first three finals this year-him on the couch and me pacing the lounge room incessantly-the GWS win was great, we were dancing with strangers in the front yard afterwards!

Rocco Jones
28-10-2016, 06:06 PM
On the 6 day breaks. We have 8 but six of them are against sides that also have a 6 day break.

jazzadogs
29-10-2016, 01:02 AM
I'd just like to point out how inconsiderate the AFL is for giving us so many Friday night games.

With the UK time difference, this will mean I get no work done between 11am and 2pm on seven Fridays next year!

1eyedog
29-10-2016, 01:03 PM

Sounds like the issue is his son getting home too late. The only thing that would assist here is a matter transporter.

hujsh
29-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Sounds like the issue is his son getting home too late. The only thing that would assist here is a matter transporter.

Picked that up. Didn't realise the kid was so young and thought it was a night driving thing at first (I know some of the country roads out west are absolutely garbage to drive on at night so you wouldn't need much reason to want to avoid them.

Twodogs
29-10-2016, 05:59 PM

Moving closer to the ground would be more practical than inventing a matter transformer in this case I reckon.

G-Mo77
30-10-2016, 12:12 PM
So that matter transporter? Any updates? :)

hujsh
30-10-2016, 02:48 PM
So that matter transporter? Any updates? :)

90% done. I just need a bit more funding and I swear you'll get it.