PDA

View Full Version : Controversial opinon

hujsh
24-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Fletcher Roberts was a better defender in the 2 finals he played than Hamling. He won more one-on-one contests, made less errors and was less reliant on his team mates for a chop out. Hamling got credit for the good work of the team defense for keeping Cameron and Franklin quiet but there were a limited number of times he actually had to compete with/beat those two opponents. Fletch can regularly be seen beating Patton early in the GWS game so was wrongly attributed with the goals he kicked.

Now feel free to tell me I'm only saying this because Hamling left :D

chef
24-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Ive had the same thought.

Templeton31
24-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Fletcher Roberts was a better defender in the 2 finals he played than Hamling. He won more one-on-one contests, made less errors and was less reliant on his team mates for a chop out. Hamling got credit for the good work of the team defense for keeping Cameron and Franklin quiet but there were a limited number of times he actually had to compete with/beat those two opponents. Fletch can regularly be seen beating Patton early in the GWS game so was wrongly attributed with the goals he kicked.

Now feel free to tell me I'm only saying this because Hamling left :D

You're only saying that because Hamling left*.

* Thought I'd be first. :D

GVGjr
24-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Roberts did well in the 2 finals games. I'm sure Hamling was better and seemed to be getting better towards the end of the season but Roberts did enough when it counted. I hope he stays injury free because it's a bit of a key for him to stay fit and playing regularly.

Topdog
24-10-2016, 07:29 PM
I'll have to watch them again but for me Hammer was superb in the GF

bulldogtragic
24-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Thought Fletch was great vs GWS. Hamling's turnover 20m out in front of goal at the start of these one quarter was a coach killer. But they both did well. Watching Fletch kill his opponents in the VFL Prelim vs Collingwood was a thing of beauty and his form carried on. Hopefully he can continue to develop as it's conceivable that Morris could retire & Adams could head home at the end of next year. Here's hoping he can develop as a player and also into a leader of the tall defenders.

Greystache
24-10-2016, 08:17 PM
Fletch was easily better in the prelim final, I thought Hamling was pretty average. Hamling did a great job in the GF and Fletch wasn't in the play much, but that could be just as much because he blanketed his opponent enough that Sydney didn't kick the ball to him.

Roberts has a much narrower range of opponents he is suited to however.

comrade
24-10-2016, 08:36 PM
Fletch was easily better in the prelim final, I thought Hamling was pretty average. Hamling did a great job in the GF and Fletch wasn't in the play much, but that could be just as much because he blanketed his opponent enough that Sydney didn't kick the ball to him.

Roberts has a much narrower range of opponents he is suited to however.

It's good to know that 2 of the teams we'll likely be meeting deep in finals during this period have forwards that suit Fletch.

Throughandthrough
24-10-2016, 09:16 PM
Controversial way to spell opinion

SlimPickens
24-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Not controversial at all. Fletch was huge in the last 2 weeks. He played the big man role in our back 6 incredibly well. Looking forward to him finally getting a crack at a full pre-season.

Templeton31
24-10-2016, 10:03 PM
I think there roles are/were slightly different. Fletch more lock down and stop opponent. Hammer for the more mobile tall opponents and provide some run. Hammer was terrific on Buddy in GF.

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Roberts and Hamling over the past two seasons proved to be our best two tall defenders. Hamling's loss is significant but with the possible return of Cordy to defence together with Adams from injury gives us some good options. The extra height of Roberts is important when matching tall forwards like Tippett who he was able to manage quite comfortably in the GF.

hujsh
24-10-2016, 11:06 PM
Controversial way to spell opinion

Actually it should say 'opine on'.;)
I blame the keyboard and these greasy sausage fingers for all my typos.

bornadog
25-10-2016, 12:33 AM
Fletch kept Tippett well out of the GF and didn't let him get a goal. He played his role in both finals after not playing in the first two, but came back with a good performance in the VFL and deserved his spot.

He needs to start working on his upper body strength. I know he has had shoulder surgery which has limited his ability to work with weights.

Twodogs
25-10-2016, 12:40 AM
I thought it had the makings of a kick ass back six. Morris, Roberts, JJ, Biggs, Boyd and Hamling. At least it's a premiership back six.

pick 35 for a premiership full back. Mercy.

Twodogs
25-10-2016, 01:23 AM
I think there roles are/were slightly different. Fletch more lock down and stop opponent. Hammer for the more mobile tall opponents and provide some run. Hammer was terrific on Buddy in GF.

Hamling gave buddy such a towelling that the Swans pretended his injury was worse than it was.

Fletch kept Tippett well out of the GF and didn't let him get a goal. He played his role in both finals after not playing in the first two, but came back with a good performance in the VFL and deserved his spot.

He needs to start working on his upper body strength. I know he has had shoulder surgery which has limited his ability to work with weights.

And all we read and heard about was how disappointing Tippet was. Hardly a word about Fletch's job on him. Watching the finals again you can bet that if Fltechers opponent is in shot then Fletch is almost always in the shot too whether his opponent us running at full tilt or just standing still Flethcher is right there with him.

Mofra
25-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Fletch was pretty high in %er averages and totals, yes he's a stopper more than a rebounder but he does his job when it matters.

MrMahatma
25-10-2016, 03:03 PM
I think both Fletch and Hamling are "goers". "Premiership full-back" makes Hamilng sound like Silvagni. He was useful in the final but wouldn't have played (IMO) if Adams wasn't injured.

We've lost depth in my opinion and reckon that the trade will end up having worked in our favor in years to come. I don't reckon Hamling will become much of a player.

Twodogs
26-10-2016, 10:28 PM
I think both Fletch and Hamling are "goers". "Premiership full-back" makes Hamilng sound like Silvagni. He was useful in the final but wouldn't have played (IMO) if Adams wasn't injured.

We've lost depth in my opinion and reckon that the trade will end up having worked in our favor in years to come. I don't reckon Hamling will become much of a player.

He is going to have to become quite a player before the first thing people remember about Joel Hamling is that he played in a premiership. For the Western Bulldogs.

Rocco Jones
26-10-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm pretty good with our defensive options for at least next year.

Adams, Z.Cordy/Roberts, Morris, Wood, Bob, JJ and Biggs with Suckling there too if we want to go smaller/play JJ up the ground.

If/when we lose Adams we have Collins coming through. Cordy is flexible too, can replace Morris. Really like Bailey Williams and Roarke Smith suits our team defence style.

GVGjr
27-10-2016, 12:30 AM
I'm pretty good with our defensive options for at least next year.

Adams, Z.Cordy/Roberts, Morris, Wood, Bob, JJ and Biggs with Suckling there too if we want to go smaller/play JJ up the ground.

If/when we lose Adams we have Collins coming through. Cordy is flexible too, can replace Morris. Really like Bailey Williams and Roarke Smith suits our team defence style.

I think Collins will take a while before he is ready for an extended run in the seniors. I tend to think he is two seasons away.
Cordy still lacks the strength required to be KPD, he will get there because he is also a smart player but at best he's a 3rd tall defender at the moment.

LostDoggy
27-10-2016, 08:06 AM
I think Collins will take a while before he is ready for an extended run in the seniors. I tend to think he is two seasons away.
Cordy still lacks the strength required to be KPD, he will get there because he is also a smart player but at best he's a 3rd tall defender at the moment.

I reckon with another preseason under his belt, Zaine will be pretty well placed to take on the Hamling role. His natural thirst for a contest will take him a long way.

Mofra
27-10-2016, 10:45 AM
Cordy looks stronger than Hamling for mine, he certainly has the reach and mongrel to play the role. I'd expect he'll be ready next year.

I don't however think Collins is a replacement for Adams - Collins plays taller and couldn't play on the faster medium forward that Adams does. Long term I think Collins fights it out with Roberts for a spot.

S Coast Simon
27-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know how tall Cordy is. I read somewhere that he is around the 195 mark is this true

GVGjr
27-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know how tall Cordy is. I read somewhere that he is around the 195 mark is this true

It's a good question because he is taller than his listed 191cm. He could be as tall as 197cm but I think 195cm is about right.
I wonder if he should practice doing a bit of ruckwork. It might be the thing that gives him an edge in selction thoughts in the coming seasons.

Twodogs
27-10-2016, 10:28 PM
He looked pretty tall in the Grand Final.

LostDoggy
29-10-2016, 11:50 PM

Everyone seems pretty high on Collins, which is exciting. I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion either way, but he's a nice build (same height as Hamling IIRC), and had good intercept stats in his junior days, which points to a good footy brain. As unproven as they come but hopefully our team defence makes his job easier. We really need two of him, Cordy or Adams to be able to nail down KPD spots over the next three years as Morris transitions out, leaving Wood and Fletch as our only established key position backmen.