PDA

View Full Version : That one player ?

Dogs 24/7
01-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Who do you select as that one player that will really step up for us this year and become a vital player for us ?

I will stick my neck out and go with Addison. I think by mid season he will be a regular player for us and perform quite well. I like his attack on the ball and I think he will improve his skills enough to be a solid player for us off the bench.

LostDoggy
01-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Cooney. Then Williams.

Cooney is a freak and can become anything.
Williams is a gun and will hold down CHB, wouldnt be surprised if he got AA honours.

hujsh
01-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Acker to step up in his second year with more ball and his trademark skills on display

The Bulldogs Bite
01-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Aker will be an interesting one. I really think he'll be a much better player. He's had a year to settle in and he's back to his usual playing weight. With a full pre-season under his belt, IMO he'll be very dangerous for us in 08.

Rob Murphy will make a big difference to our side. He gives us structure, even if he isn't a KPP. He knows when and where to lead, whilst also being more then capable at ground level. A forwardline of Johnson, Welsh & Murphy isn't height stricken, but they can all lead, mark & kick goals.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Who do you select as that one player that will really step up for us this year and become a vital player for us ?

I will stick my neck out and go with Addison. I think by mid season he will be a regular player for us and perform quite well. I like his attack on the ball and I think he will improve his skills enough to be a solid player for us off the bench.

Addison's progress this year will be interesting. He's physically ready. He's got pace & his attack on the ball is second to none. IMO his skills are not too bad, but that he mainly gets himself into trouble through decision making. At times he can't make up his mind or is just too slow. It's hard to fix this, but if he does, he'll feature more regularly. I'm not sure where he could fit in. Perhaps he could play as a tagger, or across the HBF? Either way, I hope he makes it. Still has a lot to learn, but he's got some good qualities that a lot of our side hasn't naturally got.

Dry Rot
01-01-2008, 11:34 PM

A variation on the question is who we really need to step up for us this year?

LostDoggy
01-01-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm hoping one of our fringe talls will finally show something - if just one of Tiller, Wight, Skipper or Doogs (and I'll throw Minson in too) can start to have a regular impact on games, we'll be a much better team for it.

ledge
01-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Well my thoughts are young Everitt or Griffin, i think Everitt really showed his worth in the last 7 games and after another pre season could really do some good things, he reads the game and i see him as lurking across half back. Griffin well we all know his class and after the knee injury held him up last year i think its time, must say i think if Griff looks at the video of his injury i beleive you would find he would admit he was partially to blame, taking on one too many and hanging on to the ball that split second too long.Its a sad way to learn but hopefully he takes it into the memory bank. I really think he is a pretty awesome footballer.

hujsh
02-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Well my thoughts are young Everitt or Griffin, i think Everitt really showed his worth in the last 7 games and after another pre season could really do some good things, he reads the game and i see him as lurking across half back. Griffin well we all know his class and after the knee injury held him up last year i think its time, must say i think if Griff looks at the video of his injury i beleive you would find he would admit he was partially to blame, taking on one too many and hanging on to the ball that split second too long.Its a sad way to learn but hopefully he takes it into the memory bank. I really think he is a pretty awesome footballer.

As long as he doesn't stop taking people on because that is his specialty

Dry Rot
02-01-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm hoping one of our fringe talls will finally show something - if just one of Tiller, Wight, Skipper or Doogs (and I'll throw Minson in too) can start to have a regular impact on games, we'll be a much better team for it.

Totally agree.

In the next three seasons, you'd expect all of Cooney, Higgins and Griffin to show their class in the midfield, if they are as good as we think they are.

But for us to be a real threat in 2008 we need at least one possibly two competent tall forwards.

LostDoggy
02-01-2008, 01:53 AM
Who do I think will stand up? Rob Murphy and Mitch Hahn
Both coming back from serious injuries with a full pre-season under their belts and both are key to our forward line structure - Murphy with his silky skills and Hahn to throw his body around.

Who do I think we need to stand up? Tom Williams and Andrew McDougall
Need a CHF and CHB! Williams is the most likely to take the next step - he is really a very exciting prospect.

hujsh
02-01-2008, 01:53 AM
Totally agree.

In the next three seasons, you'd expect all of Cooney, Higgins and Griffin to show their class in the midfield, if they are as good as we think they are.

But for us to be a real threat in 2008 we need at least one possibly two competent tall forwards.

Interesting. It never occurred to me that the midfielders are more likely to come on. The tall forward/s would either be Tiller Doogs Skipper or Williams. Skipper is not that likely to be our savior while i think Tiller and Williams are too young/inexperienced leaving Doogs as the one i want to see lift.

The Underdog
02-01-2008, 09:52 AM
A variation on the question is who we really need to step up for us this year?

If the plan is for him to play FF and possibly spend some time in the ruck, then Will Minson needs to step up.
We need a tall forward to take some grabs and create contests. If he's the man for the job then much of our success may hinge on his ability to do it.
Ben Hudson will also be a immediately aq very important part of our team and needs to do the job he was brought into do.

FrediKanoute
03-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Addison's progress this year will be interesting. He's physically ready. He's got pace & his attack on the ball is second to none. IMO his skills are not too bad, but that he mainly gets himself into trouble through decision making. At times he can't make up his mind or is just too slow. It's hard to fix this, but if he does, he'll feature more regularly. I'm not sure where he could fit in. Perhaps he could play as a tagger, or across the HBF? Either way, I hope he makes it. Still has a lot to learn, but he's got some good qualities that a lot of our side hasn't naturally got.

Addison's skills are average. in particular his kicking is woeful and he turns the ball over quite a bit. I hope he turns it around because yes his attack on the footy is great, but until this is rectified I think he will struggle!

LostDoggy
03-01-2008, 01:29 AM
Who we really need to step up for us would seem to be:

1. Ben Hudson
Lots of expectation on a new recruit, I know, but he is the key to the entire midfield/centre-square combination working properly. If the guys can get this part of the team down pat there is enough talent in there to at least break even on most days and give the team a fighting chance. This means that the other ruckmen will also need to step up their games to a certain degree.

2. Scott Welsh
Another new recruit, I know, but these two have been recruited to address serious deficiencies in the team and they do not have to be 'the answer', but if they play to their capacity, they will be very important contributors to the shape and balance of the team, and their impact will have a knock-on effect that will go far beyond their own stats or performances. As many have already said, if Welsh steps up and becomes part of a balanced forward-line, Johnson will incur a slightly reduced workload and physical punishment, which may allow him more time to link up play with the midfield, which in turn may lead to more effective possessions for the creative midfielders and less turnover-ball, which means a reduced workload for our defensive (inside) players etc etc.

3. Will Minson
Rocket seems to be expecting a solid contribution from Minson up forward this season, and if he and Welsh contribute and give our team the balance it so badly needs, the knock-on effect will mean that every player on the team will benefit.

4. Tim Callan
Another recruit -- am I expecting too much? -- who is supposed to be a reasonable answer to our tagging shortage. Again, if he steps up, will be an incredibly important cog to address the balance issues in the team (too attacking, unable to stop flow of game or close down opposition teams when necessary).

and finally

5. Mitch Hahn
Has the capacity to lock down across half-forward and has done so in the past but injuries have stalled him somewhat. If he can produce his best form on a consistent basis and kick/create a few goals for us from his sheer physicality (as I remember happening on a freakishly common basis over a few weeks in 2006), Murph, Aka, Johno et al will have a field day running defenders ragged from turnovers.

--

A huge element of hope, obviously, but not baseless hope, I don't think. If three or four of the five have good seasons, we will be a far, far better team for it.

Dry Rot
03-01-2008, 01:32 AM
Who we really need to step up for us would seem to be:

1. Ben Hudson
Lots of expectation on a new recruit, I know, but he is the key to the entire midfield/centre-square combination working properly. If the guys can get this part of the team down pat there is enough talent in there to at least break even on most days and give the team a fighting chance. This means that the other ruckmen will also need to step up their games to a certain degree.

An interesting one. Had impressive stats, working with the Crows midfield.

But will he be as good with ours?

hujsh
03-01-2008, 01:45 AM
5. Mitch Hahn
Has the capacity to lock down across half-forward and has done so in the past but injuries have stalled him somewhat. If he can produce his best form on a consistent basis and kick/create a few goals for us from his sheer physicality (as I remember happening on a freakishly common basis over a few weeks in 2006), Murph, Aka, Johno et al will have a field day running defenders ragged from turnovers.

He also should improve his accuracy in front of goal. There was a stat i read that showed he was one of the worst in the league

LostDoggy
03-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Players who will step up:

Crystal-balling:

1. Ryan Griffen
This kid could be anything, and his application and attitude is second to none. At his best he will be pushing at elite status, and with a full pre-season under his belt, I have no doubt he will take the next step, dispelling any injury doubts. Watching his attack on the ball and take games and players on by the scruff of the neck sends chills down my spine, and he's not even really very good yet.

2. Jason Akermanis
He will be frighteningly influential this year. Not the same player he once was, Jason will rely less on his speed and reinvent himself as a leader and tackling force inside the forward 50. With a huge engine, and the best vision, footy smarts and creative passing in the team, he will become a consistent 20-plus possession link-up player from midfield into the forward 50 that will rely more on letting the ball do the work than previous flashy incarnations.

3. Robert Murphy
Murph will return to his devastating best and alternate as he already does between HFF and HBF. He will be pushing towards elite status (but will not be recognised because he doesn't look like an elite footballer, and his influence will far outweigh mere statistics).

---

I have rated these three certainties to step up from last year mainly because of their application and work ethic towards their football careers that were circumstantially affected last year, mainly through injury. These are immensely gifted players that play hard and give their all no matter the state of the scoreboard and have great pride in their own performances and contributions to their team. Consummate professionals all.

hujsh
03-01-2008, 03:49 AM
Players who will step up:

Crystal-balling:

1. Ryan Griffen
This kid could be anything, and his application and attitude is second to none. At his best he will be pushing at elite status, and with a full pre-season under his belt, I have no doubt he will take the next step, dispelling any injury doubts. Watching his attack on the ball and take games and players on by the scruff of the neck sends chills down my spine, and he's not even really very good yet.

2. Jason Akermanis
He will be frighteningly influential this year. Not the same player he once was, Jason will rely less on his speed and reinvent himself as a leader and tackling force inside the forward 50. With a huge engine, and the best vision, footy smarts and creative passing in the team, he will become a consistent 20-plus possession link-up player from midfield into the forward 50 that will rely more on letting the ball do the work than previous flashy incarnations.

3. Robert Murphy
Murph will return to his devastating best and alternate as he already does between HFF and HBF. He will be pushing towards elite status (but will not be recognised because he doesn't look like an elite footballer, and his influence will far outweigh mere statistics).

---

I have rated these three certainties to step up from last year mainly because of their application and work ethic towards their football careers that were circumstantially affected last year, mainly through injury. These are immensely gifted players that play hard and give their all no matter the state of the scoreboard and have great pride in their own performances and contributions to their team. Consummate professionals all.

Who wouldn't kill for the skill and class of those three?

Bulldog Revolution
03-01-2008, 10:03 AM
An interesting one. Had impressive stats, working with the Crows midfield.

But will he be as good with ours?

I think he will be better simply because he will get more ground time - in Adelaide they generally platoon in the ruck, and so Hudson split time with a variety of guys over his time there. He'll really be given every opportunity to really assert himself with us.

1. Ryan Griffen

I have less confidence in Griffen to step up in 2008, not because I doubt his talent but because I am concerned he just does not have the continuity in his fitness. For my money he just needs to get fit, and get back to enjoying his footy

BulldogBelle
03-01-2008, 09:37 PM

Lantern, very good summation on Griffen, Akermanis and Murph, I have enjoyed the read.

All three as you have written do take extreme pride in what they do, here's hoping they all have an injury free exciting year for us all to enjoy.

Mofra
03-01-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm going for someone from left field. Normally pick one every year, Cross & Gilbee have surved me well in years past, Cam Wight not so much but still think he will make it eventually (appears to be the classic late bloomer).

Scary enough, I'm tipping a debutant to be a regular by the end of this year. Brennan Stack. Why? He has the speed & movement, can find the ball, and now has the size. His off-field distractions should be minised this year, so he can just concentrate on the footy. There is no pressure on him so he can develop at his own pace.
Regular track gazers tip him to be the best of the bros, and that is saying something because I have never seen a leap like Hill nor the rugby step style of lil Kostya, especially considering how hard he works on turnovers. 2009 may be the year of the Stack, but in 2008 we'll see the Stack rise.

BulldogBelle
04-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Cam Wight not so much but still think he will make it eventually (appears to be the classic late bloomer).

I agree Mofra - he is due for something special, I really hope he has a great season.

Dry Rot
04-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Scary enough, I'm tipping a debutant to be a regular by the end of this year. Brennan Stack. Why? He has the speed & movement, can find the ball, and now has the size. His off-field distractions should be minised this year, so he can just concentrate on the footy. There is no pressure on him so he can develop at his own pace.
Regular track gazers tip him to be the best of the bros, and that is saying something because I have never seen a leap like Hill nor the rugby step style of lil Kostya, especially considering how hard he works on turnovers. 2009 may be the year of the Stack, but in 2008 we'll see the Stack rise.

How big is he now?

Mantis
04-01-2008, 09:38 PM
How big is he now?

Don't think he has grown as much as he has put on bulk. He looks to have put on atleast 5-8kg's since he arrived at the club, much stronger across the chest and in the arms.

It must be remebered that Stack arrived at the club last year with a fracture in his leg meaning he had little or no pre-season. Agree with Mofra that he is certainly one to watch in 08. From the little I have seen of him he looks a great long term prospect.

GVGjr
04-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Don't think he has grown as much as he has put on bulk. He looks to have put on atleast 5-8kg's since he arrived at the club, much stronger across the chest and in the arms.

It must be remebered that Stack arrived at the club last year with a fracture in his leg meaning he had little or no pre-season. Agree with Mofra that he is certainly one to watch in 08. From the little I have seen of him he looks a great long term prospect.

I still remember that 2nds game he played for Werribee against Frankston. He had the ball on a string and was just brilliant. Once he learns the defensive side of his game he really could be a player to watch.

bulldogsman
04-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Just for somethin different hopefully Minson but have no confidence when he goes foward for us.
Would like to see him compete well in the ruck and win the ball around the ground.

Dry Rot
04-01-2008, 11:49 PM

Thanks. His likely long term position?

Mofra
05-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks. His likely long term position?

Midfielder. I really think he could be the type that could play inside & outside, moves well.

LostDoggy
05-01-2008, 03:16 PM

I'd enjoy seeing Wight make it but I dont know what position he is best suited to.

LostDoggy
09-01-2008, 04:09 PM
2008. Everett to be a step ahead with his poise and decision making. May experiment with him in the middle. Has some of the Goodes' qualities. Suggested at the time of his drafting that we would build side around he and Williams. Still think the same.

2008. Griffen. This year is the time for him to show he can do the graceful as well as the nitty gritty, and show he has the endurance to go with the best.

2009. Williams. Still has to learn the finer points of the game, but expect experience to refine him. Want him to be a Jonathon Brown like, but can he pick up nuances of the game so soon?

2010. Callan Ward. Everything I read suggests he has the character to be a leader.