PDA

View Full Version : Champion Data rates Western Bulldogs’ list as best in the AFL, Brisbane Lions rated worst

Bulldog4life
30-10-2016, 10:42 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/champion-data-rates-western-bulldogs-list-as-best-in-the-afl-brisbane-lions-rated-worst/news-story/c6115c8844bbead594c93703ade7a068

WESTERN Bulldogs supporters can start dreaming of back-to-back premierships — if Champion Data is any guide.

The AFL’s official number cruncher believes the premiers will enter 2017 with the strongest list after an in-depth analysis of every club.

The Dogs’ glut of young talent runs deeper than the hyped Greater Western Sydney and even has the great Hawthorn teams of the past five years covered.

And North Melbourne will enter light on for star power, with just one player rated elite.

But coach Brad Scott can’t be blamed for his cull of veterans, given the Kangas only entered this season with two.

Four clubs — the Dogs, Giants, West Coast and Sydney — boast an AFL-high six elite superstars.

Last-minute signing Brett Deledio delivered the Giants their sixth, alongside Zac Williams, Devon Smith, Nick Haynes and All-Australians Heath Shaw and Toby Greene.

Of that group only Shaw began 2016 rated elite.

GWS trumped Dogs coach Luke Beveridge’s 11th-hour bid to snare Deledio, who walked out on Richmond.

Players rated in the top 10 per cent for their position are regarded as elite by Champion.

But it is the Bulldogs’ base which leaves the league in their wake.

Beneath their A-graders, Champion Data rates another 13 Dogs “above average” — No. 1 in the AFL.

The total of 19 men in the top two brackets beats Hawthorn’s 15, 15 and 16 from their golden 2013-2015 run.

And in an ominous sign for the premiership defence, six of Beveridge’s talented 19 did not feature in the historic premiership, but are all set to return in 2017.

They are captain Bob Murphy, Mitch Wallis, Marcus Adams, Lin Jong, Matthew Suckling and Stewart Crameri.

St Kilda great Nathan Burke lashed the Dogs’ list during the finals as “devoid of stars and marquee players”.

“They’ve (Hawthorn) got their four or five outright stars, the Bulldogs don’t have that, they are just playing very well as a team,” Burke said.

“For me, to have that dynasty you need four or five stars to build around.”

But Champion’s examination smashes that theory and delivers another tick to the shrewd drafting under chief recruiter Simon Dalrymple, completed off a shoestring budget, and the development program led by Chris Maple.

Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy this year rated the Dogs’ four-year recruiting block the most successful he has seen, and Dalrymple called 12 of the names put up in lights by Champion.

Essendon and Brisbane Lions are the only clubs without an elite player. But the Bombers were hindered by the formula, which is calculated with a 75 per cent weighting to 2016.

Players must have played 10 games over the past two seasons to qualify and the Dons had their batch of superstars serving drug suspensions this season.

The shock defections of Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis and Brad Hill gutted the Hawks’, leaving them mid-table.

DAZZLING DOGGIES

Elite players: Mitch Wallis, Marcus Bontempelli, Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Jake Stringer, Luke Dahlhaus.

Above-average players: Tom Liberatore, Jason Johannisen, Easton Wood, Jack Macrae, Stewart Crameri, Dale Morris, Lin Jong, Tory Dickson, Liam Picken, Caleb Daniel, Marcus Adams, Clay Smith, Matthew Suckling.

Ratings by: CHAMPION DATA

Pre-order Champion Data’s 2017 AFL Prospectus for $39.95

CHAMPION DATA 2017 LIST ANALYSIS

CLUB ELITE ABOVE AVERAGE TOTAL
Western Bulldogs 6 13 19
GWS Giants 6 11 17
West Coast 6 8 14
Adelaide 4 10 14
Sydney 6 7 13
St Kilda 1 11 12
Collingwood 2 10 12
Port Adelaide 3 7 10
Melbourne 2 8 10
Hawthorn 5 5 10
Geelong 5 4 9
Fremantle 3 6 9
Richmond 3 6 9
Gold Coast 3 5 8
North Melbourne 1 6 7
Essendon 0 7 7
Carlton 2 3 5
Brisbane Lions 0 3 3

jeemak
30-10-2016, 11:05 AM
I hope the whipping of Nathan Burke continues.

It's interesting how we view elite versus what the numbers would tell you. What excites me is the players we have rated as above average, and their ability to take a step forward with consistent football under their belts in a strong team.

Bulldog4life
30-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Impressed by the fact the Jongy is rated above average for his position. Very glad he stayed.

bulldogtragic
30-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Ah Nathan Burke, you flog.

Bulldog4life
30-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Ah Nathan Burke, you flog.

Just tweeted him the link

bulldogtragic
30-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Just tweeted him the link

And that's why I love you. :D

Let us know when he blocks you! :D

Ghost Dog
30-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Tom Liberatore not elite? Only because of injury.
If you are not going to call Bont, Jake or Caleb stars then what do you know?
Nathan Burke, can't remember who he is, so there.

Bulldog4life
30-10-2016, 01:03 PM
And that's why I love you. :D

Let us know when he blocks you! :D

Ditto:) and not yet.

Throughandthrough
30-10-2016, 01:18 PM
as i posted on the AFL Supercoach facebook page

"Is this the same champion data that said that the dogs weren't in a premiership window three months ago?"

PS what did Nathan Burke say?

bulldogtragic
30-10-2016, 01:24 PM
as i posted on the AFL Supercoach facebook page

"Is this the same champion data that said that the dogs weren't in a premiership window three months ago?"

PS what did Nathan Burke say?

Had not enough elite talent, nor enough depth to win multiple flags.

Greystache
30-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Did I miss Hunter in the list? I would've thought he'd be above average if not borderline elite.

Go_Dogs
30-10-2016, 03:47 PM
Did I miss Hunter in the list? I would've thought he'd be above average if not borderline elite.

That Tom Boyd bloke went ok at the end of the year, too.

We could end up with quite a few more players there by years end.

comrade
30-10-2016, 05:22 PM
CD probably thought it was unfair to list 25+ elite/above average players on one list.

Rocco Jones
30-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Wood and JJ are elite in their positions, no doubt about it. I would have both in my AFL Dream back 6.

Twodogs
03-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Elite players: Mitch Wallis, Marcus Bontempelli, Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Jake Stringer, Luke Dahlhaus.

Above-average players: Tom Liberatore, Jason Johannisen, Easton Wood, Jack Macrae, Stewart Crameri, Dale Morris, Lin Jong, Tory Dickson, Liam Picken, Caleb Daniel, Marcus Adams, Clay Smith, Matt.hew Suckling

I wouldn't have Stringer in the elite section on this year's showing. Tom Liberatore and Lachie Hunter unlucky not to be elite.

Sedat
04-11-2016, 12:03 AM
Tom Liberatore and Lachie Hunter unlucky not to be elite.
Laughable to suggest that Libba is anything other than elite - his hands in tight are as good as anyone in the game since Greg Williams.

jeemak
04-11-2016, 02:19 AM
I wouldn't have Stringer in the elite section on this year's showing. Tom Liberatore and Lachie Hunter unlucky not to be elite.

Laughable to suggest that Libba is anything other than elite - his hands in tight are as good as anyone in the game since Greg Williams.

It goes to the limitation on a numbers based analysis. If you review the numbers then Wallis fits the criteria, but Libba doesn't, but everyone knows at their best Libba can have a greater impact than the latter with less moments registering a stat.

I think Champion Data do a fantastic job, but they have real issues with situational judgement or subjective impact on the output of single moments within a game.

LostDoggy
04-11-2016, 07:06 AM
I agree CD generally do a very good job, but any numbers based assessment system will have its limitations. With Libba, I think CD looks at cumulative points, mainly based over the past 2 years, so Libba's lack of games makes it nearly impossible for him to be graded elite under the CD methodology.

Prior to his bad injury, CD at one point had Libba ranked amongst the top 20 players in the AFL, so very much elite (from memory he is the 2nd youngest player to be ranked so high, with only Bont ahead of him).

As long as he gets the games in, he'll be back to his rightful status sooner rather than later.

bornadog
04-11-2016, 10:43 AM

His hands were brilliant throughout the finals series. He may not have racked up high numbers, but he was very damaging. Just take a look at the last quarter v GWS.

Twodogs
04-11-2016, 12:14 PM
I agree CD generally do a very good job, but any numbers based assessment system will have its limitations. With Libba, I think CD looks at cumulative points, mainly based over the past 2 years, so Libba's lack of games makes it nearly impossible for him to be graded elite under the CD methodology.

Prior to his bad injury, CD at one point had Libba ranked amongst the top 20 players in the AFL, so very much elite (from memory he is the 2nd youngest player to be ranked so high, with only Bont ahead of him).

As long as he gets the games in, he'll be back to his rightful status sooner rather than later.

It's a good comparison between Libba and The Bont in terms of quality, impact and output. If Libba wasn't in the same team as the Bont and he hadn't had the year off with his knee then tgeir reputations would be much closer.

Topdog
04-11-2016, 03:48 PM
It's a good comparison between Libba and The Bont in terms of quality, impact and output. If Libba wasn't in the same team as the Bont and he hadn't had the year off with his knee then tgeir reputations would be much closer.

Nah Bont would always have a higher reputation because of his style of play. He constantly goes forwards with his disposals and he also kicks a lot of goals. He has a real flair to him that would keep his rep up.

Sedat
04-11-2016, 10:20 PM
His hands were brilliant throughout the finals series. He may not have racked up high numbers, but he was very damaging. Just take a look at the last quarter v GWS.
Yep, his clearance work in the 2nd half both the PF and tbe GF were as good as there has ever been.