PDA

View Full Version : OcTocall - Great Bulldog Finals Moments

merantau
02-11-2016, 11:38 PM
Some may know about this already, some not.
If you YouTube "octocall" you will get epic Bulldog moments replayed 6-8 times with all the different TV and radio commentary. I really enjoy these clips and have made a discovery - watching Bont drill that goal is just as enjoyable for the 1000th time as it is for the first. Ditto Tpm Boyd's long bomb, Picken's mark etc etc. It's now over a month since our epic win and I bet I'm not the only person still watching replays! My life will never be the same again. I am suffused with optimism and cannot thank the Club enough for the gift it has given me, the sheer unadulterated joy I have experienced and that I have witnessed others sharing. I truly feel liberated.

LostDoggy
02-11-2016, 11:45 PM
They are fantastic videos.

KT31
02-11-2016, 11:47 PM
If you YouTube "octocall" you will get epic Bulldog moments replayed 6-8 times with all the different TV and radio commentary. I really enjoy these clips and have made a discovery - watching Bont drill that goal is just as enjoyable for the 1000th time as it is for the first. Ditto Tpm Boyd's long bomb, Picken's mark etc etc. It's now over a month since our epic win and I bet I'm not the only person still watching replays! My life will never be the same again. I am suffused with optimism and cannot thank the Club enough for the gift it has given me, the sheer unadulterated joy I have experienced and that I have witnessed others sharing. I truly feel liberated.

Couple have been posted on here already, merantau if you look up ALs Highlights on You Tube you will get much more than the octocall.

anfo27
02-11-2016, 11:55 PM
Yep great highlights. I not only still watch them a month later I still shed a tear, I still get goose bumps & I still find it hard to believe it actually happened to us.

Watching those octocalls confirms in my mind that Anthony Hudson & Gerard Wheately are the best 2 commentators in the business.

KT31
03-11-2016, 12:03 AM
Yep great highlights. I not only still watch them a month later I still shed a tear, I still get goose bumps & I still find it hard to believe it actually happened to us.

Watching those octocalls confirms in my mind that Anthony Hudson & Gerard Wheately are the best 2 commentators in the business.
Totally agree and Shaw is a total shocker.

Twodogs
03-11-2016, 12:29 AM
For an extra treat press the subtitle option on the full screen. I don't know who's doing the transcription but their first language isn't English. I think they must be machine generated but they are pretty funny.

LostDoggy
03-11-2016, 01:50 AM

For mine (confirmed by octocall), Whateley is a clear No.1, with Tim Lane and Hudson the only others remotely comparable.

anfo27
03-11-2016, 05:31 AM
For mine (confirmed by octocall), Whateley is a clear No.1, with Tim Lane and Hudson the only others remotely comparable.

A couple of those octocalls were tough plays to call and get 100% because there was so much happening like the Boyd sealer in the gf, Calebs goal & the Bonts goal in the prelim. Hudo & Gerard were the only 2 to get the call spot on. I would have Gerard number 1 as well though.

What's with Tony Leonard? You would never think he was Bulldogs man, always thinks we are lucky and should have been penalised for some random free kick that isn't there. Just can't listen to him during our games.

westdog54
03-11-2016, 09:06 AM
Al just put Picken's sealer up last night. Its truly joyful to listen to. Picken's other goal in the last is good to listen to as well. Listening to the varying styles of commentary of what was a truly frantic minute of football is a hell of a lot of fun.

He's now put up all of our last quarter goals, plus Picken's mark.

Gerard Whately is a magnificent commentator. Peter Donegan is very underrated on the AFL Live coverage as well.

bornadog
03-11-2016, 09:49 AM
Al just put Picken's sealer up last night. Its truly joyful to listen to. Picken's other goal in the last is good to listen to as well. Listening to the varying styles of commentary of what was a truly frantic minute of football is a hell of a lot of fun.

Gerard Whately is a magnificent commentator. Peter Donegan is very underrated on the AFL Live coverage as well.

I like Peter Donegan and don't understand why he doesn't get a permanent gig calling the footy on TV or radio. I think Gerard is one of the best, can't stnad any of the guys on the commercial networks.

always right
03-11-2016, 11:04 AM
Love Peter Donegan. Never makes the call all about him...a real pro. Can only imagine the decision not to make him a lead footy commentator has been his choice alone.

1eyedog
03-11-2016, 12:49 PM

There's not a day that goes by that I do not watch the JJ to Bont Octocall in full.

LostDoggy
03-11-2016, 01:12 PM
There's not a day that goes by that I do not watch the JJ to Bont Octocall in full.

Similar. I find myself watching those big moments incessantly. Really makes you appreciate the little moments that lead up to it as well. Boyd's efforts are amazing, but Dunkley's ability to stand up in the tackle and then find someone (given he's a first year player in a massive moment in Q4 of a Prelim) is just more impressive with every viewing.

A bit like Morris' effort that leads to TBoyds big goal in the GF. After he makes the initial spoil on Buddy, he visibly hunches over in pain but summons the energy to go again where 99.9% wouldn't - and then commit 100%. Makes me tear up a little with every viewing.

Watching these things repeatedly makes you appreciate the importance of those split second efforts and how we were collectively so 'on' we were just never going to be denied.

westdog54
03-11-2016, 01:29 PM

To his credit, BT called that goal beautifully.

None of the 8 really called it badly.

Twodogs
03-11-2016, 02:04 PM
A couple of those octocalls were tough plays to call and get 100% because there was so much happening like the Boyd sealer in the gf, Calebs goal & the Bonts goal in the prelim. Hudo & Gerard were the only 2 to get the call spot on. I would have Gerard number 1 as well though.

What's with Tony Leonard? You would never think he was Bulldogs man, always thinks we are lucky and should have been penalised for some random free kick that isn't there. Just can't listen to him during our games.

I've come to realise that Tony is what people see as the archetypal bulldog supporter. Knows and loves the club and the game inside out but scared to invest emotionally in public to the club because, well, we got sick of being made to look silly over and over again.

But that was then and this is now with a more confident and forward looking club I wonder if people like Tony will continue to be looked on as the archetype,

Donegal and Whately are both race callers and they bring that discipline of race calling where they aim to communicate as much information with each word as they can.

Similar. I find myself watching those big moments incessantly. Really makes you appreciate the little moments that lead up to it as well. Boyd's efforts are amazing, but Dunkley's ability to stand up in the tackle and then find someone (given he's a first year player in a massive moment in Q4 of a Prelim) is just more impressive with every viewing.

A bit like Morris' effort that leads to TBoyds big goal in the GF. After he makes the initial spoil on Buddy, he visibly hunches over in pain but summons the energy to go again where 99.9% wouldn't - and then commit 100%. Makes me tear up a little with every viewing.

Watching these things repeatedly makes you appreciate the importance of those split second efforts and how we were collectively so 'on' we were just never going to be denied.

I rate any commentater who A/ picks that it's Keithy Boyd who prods the ball with his foot to JJ and B/ manages to insert that information into the call because it happens so quickly. I reckon it took me about 5 viewings of that play to sort out where everyone is and what they do.

KT31
03-11-2016, 02:52 PM

Don't rate Leonard or Shaw for that matter, both are always sitting on the Bulldogs are lucky to get away with that fence.

To his credit, BT called that goal beautifully.
None of the 8 really called it badly.

Agree, great call.

Me too, bloody brilliant isn't it ?

bornadog
03-11-2016, 05:14 PM

Back in the 80s Tony worked with a mate of mine at the public service and would come to games with us. He was with the Coodabeens as well at the time. He was the worse bloke to be with at a game as he wouldn't stand still he was so nervous watching us play.

Twodogs
03-11-2016, 05:54 PM
Back in the 80s Tony worked with a mate of mine at the public service and would come to games with us. He was with the Coodabeens as well at the time. He was the worse bloke to be with at a game as he wouldn't stand still he was so nervous watching us play.

He still would have been living in Gordon street back then.

KT31
04-11-2016, 11:46 AM
More great work by ALs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8POhBcVbgEOctoCall - The Final Siren - 2016 Grand Final - Western Bulldogs Premiers

bornadog
04-11-2016, 12:02 PM
More great work by ALs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8POhBcVbgEOctoCall - The Final Siren - 2016 Grand Final - Western Bulldogs Premiers

Thanks alot KT31, now look what you have done.

http://i.amz.mshcdn.com/h8ymrqDxBWnkM_1e1Py0Pz-l9jk=/fit-in/1200x9600/http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F07%2FSupernatural-Dean.gif

dadsgirl16
04-11-2016, 07:22 PM
Oh no I am crying AGAIN!

LostDoggy
04-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Oh no I am crying AGAIN!

Glad I'm not the only massive sook around here! Every single time I watch the GWS game and the grand final and any other highlight video from those games I bawl. Which means I have cried everyday since we won the PF!

Twodogs
05-11-2016, 06:50 PM
More great work by ALs

These are so much better than the test match to watch.

LostDoggy
05-11-2016, 09:07 PM
How great are the looks on the faces of McLean, Dunkley, Picken and Roughy in that still.

1eyedog
07-11-2016, 12:30 PM
How great are the looks on the faces of McLean, Dunkley, Picken and Roughy in that still.

Macrae :).

Ok it's time for some more Octocalls...

edit: No shite I could do Octocalls for every single passage of play that involves us for every single finals match we played.

Ozza
07-11-2016, 01:03 PM
How good is 'Al's Highlights'. His videos/packages - have made the aftermath of the finals even more enjoyable. Absolute legend.

Just on the Octocall of the JJ to Bont goal. 3 of them in particular are just outrageously good...

Gerard Whately's "It means the WORLD to the Bulldogs"
Anthony Hudson's "The future star, the present star OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
and
Rex Hunt...calls it a goal well before it goes through, and then goes with "Listen to this. Listen to the crowd. THIS is why we go to the football".

bornadog
07-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Rex Hunt...calls it a goal well before it goes through, and then goes with "Listen to this. Listen to the crowd. THIS is why we go to the football".

I took that as a timing issue between video and audio

1eyedog
07-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Nah Rexy does that all the time. Listen to the Tom Boyd goal. Re the Bony goal he set it up well early and then and let the roar of the crowd introduce his next comments. It was well done.

westdog54
07-11-2016, 04:09 PM

Nope. Called it before it had even left Bont's boot.

Mofra
07-11-2016, 05:13 PM
SEN was the best - perhaps because it went for the longest

Twodogs
07-11-2016, 05:37 PM
Nah Rexy does that all the time. Listen to the Tom Boyd goal. Re the Bony goal he set it up well early and then and let the roar of the crowd introduce his next comments. It was well done.

Nope. Called it before it had even left Bont's boot.

As long as that ball landed within 20 metres of the Bont everybody in the world who wasn't a bulldog supporter knew that was going to be a goal. Tribes in the Amazon rainforest that haven't made contact with the rest of us knew Bontempelli was a sure thing to get it between the uprights so long as JJ got it somewhere near him. But Bontempelli didn't even break stride because JJ's kick was perfect.

Bulldog4life
07-11-2016, 06:08 PM
As long as that ball landed within 20 metres of the Bont everybody in the world who wasn't a bulldog supporter knew that was going to be a goal. Tribes in the Amazon rainforest that haven't made contact with the rest of us knew Bontempelli was a sure thing to get it between the uprights so long as JJ got it somewhere near him. But Bontempelli didn't even break stride because JJ's kick was perfect.

And I bet they too barracked for us in the Grannie.

Twodogs
07-11-2016, 06:47 PM
And I bet they too barracked for us in the Grannie.

And they probably got all their memorabilia by now.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-11-2016, 10:43 PM
Loved BT's calls in all of these!

Twodogs
07-11-2016, 11:47 PM
Loved BT's calls in all of these!

I liked a lot of Rex Hunt's much to my surprise.. He didn't do any silly voices and he let the crowd tell the story more than any of the others. Often he wouldn't call the goal but just leave it to the increased noise from the crowd. I kind of liked how he called us Footscray too but I'm a Footscray boy and and it made me smile to hear it and see it at the same time just once.

westdog54
08-11-2016, 02:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aM88DE6QD8

Fast forward to 25:42 and you'll hear Anthony Hudson's call of the final siren in the prelim. Its beautiful.

Ozza
08-11-2016, 10:28 AM
And they probably got all their memorabilia by now.

Do they get their stuff via Amazon.com ?

....I'll show myself out.

Throughandthrough
17-11-2016, 04:33 PM
not sure that this package has made it to this site yet

It's very, very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PJjqSVsGLE

Murphy'sLore
17-11-2016, 04:45 PM
Thanks T&T, I was looking for this on Youtube after listening to Wil Anderson on 2 Guys 1 Cup, and couldn't find it.

Brilliant.

Still squeezing the feels out of this season... long may it continue!

Throughandthrough
17-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Thanks T&T, I was looking for this on Youtube after listening to Wil Anderson on 2 Guys 1 Cup, and couldn't find it.

Brilliant.

Still squeezing the feels out of this season... long may it continue!

Yep. The last "2 guys one cup" podcasts should be compulsory listening for all WOOFERS!

Wil tweeted the link to the above youtube a few days ago.

LostDoggy
17-11-2016, 10:05 PM
If you'll all excuse me I'm off to listen to all our finals series calls again! ;)

Throughandthrough
17-11-2016, 10:31 PM
If you'll all excuse me I'm off to listen to all our finals series calls again! ;)

I'd love to do that, is there a place i can download the radio calls to my iphone>

westdog54
18-02-2017, 08:26 AM
Sadly, the AFEL had blocked all of Al's grand final videos on copyright grounds.

Twodogs
18-02-2017, 08:38 AM
Sadly, the AFEL had blocked all of Al's grand final videos on copyright grounds.

oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

westdog54
18-02-2017, 09:53 AM
The prelim and semi videos are still there.

Topdog
18-02-2017, 10:48 AM
They blocked his octocalls? Its 40 seconds of highlights!

westdog54
19-02-2017, 02:59 PM
They blocked his octocalls? Its 40 seconds of highlights!

Only his grand final content has been blocked. All the prelim and semi videos are still there

Eastdog
21-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Chills down the spine. The prelim final couple of minutes just amazing. You could have that on repeat and I would never get sick of it.

westdog54
21-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Chills down the spine. The prelim final couple of minutes just amazing. You could have that on repeat and I would never get sick of it.

I've watched it at least once a day for the past week.

Twodogs
21-02-2017, 08:44 PM
I've watched it at least once a day for the past week.

It's like your favorite movie when you were a kid. You watch it over and over and see something new every time.

westdog54
21-02-2017, 08:48 PM
It's like your favorite movie when you were a kid. You watch it over and over and see something new every time.

My new favourite part is Terry Wallace excitedly yelling "they're out, they're out" as the ball gets over the back in the last contest.

I've almost memorized Huddo's monologue word for word.

Twodogs
21-02-2017, 08:53 PM
My new favourite part is Terry Wallace excitedly yelling "they're out, they're out" as the ball gets over the back in the last contest.

I've almost memorized Huddo's monologue word for word.

That's what he says.

westdog54
22-02-2017, 06:52 PM
That's what he says.

I'm pretty sure it's what he says.

I love that there's 5 different versions "Dickson has missed, but it doesn't matter".

And that the KRock crew call "The Dogs' fans have gone absolutely Ken Bruce!"

Twodogs
22-02-2017, 07:01 PM
I'm pretty sure it's what he says.

I love that there's 5 different versions "Dickson has missed, but it doesn't matter".

And that the KRock crew call "The Dogs' fans have gone absolutely Ken Bruce!"

It makes perfect sense. More sense thananything I can think off anyway. "Something about a rout?"

westdog54
08-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Al has his channel back.

Most of the old compilations are gone but most of the octocalls have been re-uploaded.

Twodogs
08-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Al has his channel back.

Most of the old compilations are gone but most of the octocalls have been re-uploaded.

Fanbloodytastic. Al has wilfully wasted more of my time than anyone else on the face of the earth.

God bless the United States of Al!